Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: Candy Zombies

DanaK
  • Start Topic

Please get rid of the teaching assistant!

Why comedies make this same mistake, of feeling like they've got to pile on more and more cast members with each one more outrageous than the last, thinking it adds to the show?!!! Most times it DOESN'T as is in this case. They've got a nice cohesive cast here. Don't mess it up with people who most definitely shouldn't be there.

• Like 7
  • Love 14
5 hours ago, Blakeston said:

I don't want to see Gregory and Amber date, though. I don't think they'd be right for each other at all. Amber seems sweet but dim - last season she was under the impression that first grade was like daycare, where the kids just play all day, and you can drop them off/pick them up whenever you like.

Honestly, I don't think Amber is any dimmer than Janine, even though she's a teacher.   Amber might not have "book smarts" but she seems to be more grounded than Janine.

• Like 1
  • Love 6

I’m not liking the new teaching assistant, so I hope they transfer her or at least give her less screen time.

I was waiting for them to discover Ava’s bathroom while they were in the basement.

Love how the student dressed as the custodian. 😂

• Like 1
  • Love 7

Mr. Johnson dressed up as Lil Uzi Vert dressed up as a janitor. What was that thing he had glued to his forehead? It didn't look like a fake diamond or any other kind of gemstone to me.

I thought Jacob was a standard cat burglar. How does one get "wage theft" out of that look? He is so extra.

Melissa was absolutely gorgeous as Wanda/the Scarlet Witch. Brava!

Millennial Tuskegee Airman. I can't.

"Thank you for this donation to my mouth." OMG. Line of the season.

The Bad Bitch hitting on Sully Sullenberger. I think she should've been more direct with it though instead of using Janine as a middleman. It's not as if they're in middle school passing notes.

Melissa has a human-sized safe. At school.

Black Marilyn Monroe! Janine killed it!

Mr. Johnson's reference to The Shining at the end was kind of a deep cut. Most Shining takes use "heeeere's Johhny!" or those creepy twin girl ghosts.

There has been a scientific study published in recent years that said sugar actually doesn't cause hyperactivity in children. The alternate theory is that it's the artifical food dyes which are the problem. Whatever, I kept waiting for the kids to pass out since that would be the typical sitcom payoff.

• Love 7

Ashley's only positive (really positive) contribution has long passed - her advocacy of Clipse's "Grindin'."  Separately, I have to also recommend "When The Last Time."

Jacob's costume finally made me realize that he's the Jonah (from Superstore) of this show, except much more awkward and Corny.  100% Jonah also knows how to double dutch.

Gregory is the Captain Ray Holt (from Brooklyn Nine-Nine).  From the formal way he addresses his father (not by choice) to his indifference or aversion to tasty foods (Gregory would like Holt's nutrition bricks in "original" flavor for breakfast) to childhoods generally devoid of typical fun kid activities, except they don't recognize that even as adults.

The kids were on fire this episode.

I was really happy to see baby steps towards growth for Janine, considering her ridiculousness the past few episodes.

Edited by sweetandsour
  • Love 7

Loved the episode. Baby Mr Johnson, even doing the gravely voice, was perfection.

The only good thing about Ashley was how she inched of screen when she realized she was in trouble.

Also, I like that Janine is out there making her own friends. She looked great as Marilyn.

• Love 8

I was glad to see that Erica's friendliness towards Janine was legit.  I was afraid she was going to back out of the party invite, or it was one of those "You're ok unless somebody better comes along" situations.   Because it can be tough to make friends as an adult.  And she needs more social growth.  I just really hope they don't bring back Tarik. (sp?)

Ava's basement bathroom was a hilarious surprise. "Of course it's got a bidet"  *LOL*

• Like 1
  • Love 2
On 10/29/2022 at 2:48 PM, limestation said:

Please get rid of the teaching assistant!

Why comedies make this same mistake, of feeling like they've got to pile on more and more cast members with each one more outrageous than the last, thinking it adds to the show?!!! Most times it DOESN'T as is in this case. They've got a nice cohesive cast here. Don't mess it up with people who most definitely shouldn't be there.

Agreed. If she was competent, it would be different, but she is so over-the-top bad at her job, it's not funny. 

• Like 2
23 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Mr. Johnson dressed up as Lil Uzi Vert dressed up as a janitor. What was that thing he had glued to his forehead? It didn't look like a fake diamond or any other kind of gemstone to me.

A piece of gum.

1 hour ago, SmithW6079 said:

Agreed. If she was competent, it would be different, but she is so over-the-top bad at her job, it's not funny. 

I think Ashley's character was needed to explain how Baby Thanos obtained  all the candy.

On 10/29/2022 at 11:55 AM, kathyk24 said:

Janine ended a relationship I don't think she wants to date Gregory or anyone else.

She's definitely interested in him. If she hadn't told Gregory that she had accepted Erica's invitation, I think he would have invited her to come with him. And she would have wanted to go, but would have been unsure about doing so.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

I loved Ava giving props to Janine's Marilyn costume with that extended "Biiiiiitch!" I'm noticing they seem to be claiming that word for good, between that and the 'Bad Bitch' convo. I love to see it.

I think Janine is very book smart but only having one romantic relationship her entire life has stunted her emotionally. Not irreversibly so but she has no frame of first hand reference on navigating potentially sexual relationships with men besides Tariq. And while we know he wasn't shit as a partner, I'm not sure Janine completely realizes that. I'm also guessing he was the more outgoing one in social situations. So I do think she likes Gregory, but because he's only the 2nd man she's ever seemed to like in that way, I feel like the show does a good job showing her being kinda immature and unsure and clueless. Janine seems like, she never paid attention sexually to another guy once she was with Tariq and her characterization feels very realistic to me. Kudos, Quinta. 

I'm not a fan of Ashley but I don't agree that she is completely incompetent. Yes, fuckin around on her phone and letting Baby Thanos get hold of the candy was bad. But she's not a bad teacher. She connects well with the students and she uses current references they know and understand. Teaching, like any profession, evolves with generation shifts. I could see her ending up a really good teacher. She just young and annoying right now lol. 

• Like 2
  • Love 5
On 10/27/2022 at 1:00 PM, DearEvette said:

"I know right and she looks amazing every day."

“Even Monday!”  LMAO.  Ericka seemed really nice and I hope Janine can make some new friends.

I thought it was hilarious when Barbara chimed in to agree before Melissa had made her point, then admitting she 100% was not listening.  Heh.

You see, Ava isn’t totally useless!  Getting those kids wrangled up is not an easy job.  

Loved the kid dressed up as the janitor and Barbara’s spelling bee costume.  I thought Melissa looked hot but not appropriate for school.  Then again, leather pants are probably not appropriate either but she’s Melissa and she don’t give a damn.  That’s why we love her.  I didn’t know any of the superheroes except the fact that they were superheroes.  

Anyway, it was just ok for me.  It was funny, but in the obligatory “we have to acknowledge Halloween” episode kind of way.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Why was Janine at all concerned about her house being egged?  Doesn't she live in an apartment building?  Any clean-up would not be her responsibility.

There are lots of bad landlords and property management companies out there who don't do what they're supposed to do. It would not surprise me if Janine has that kind of living situation. For what she can afford at her income level, it is a total crapshoot whether you will have a good landlord or property management company.

• Applause 1
  • Love 2

I live in a school district where the kids are not allowed to go to school in costumes at all for Halloween so it's a little disconcerting to see that, but in what world was Melissa's costume appropriate for a teacher???? She was basically wearing the equivalent of a swimsuit with tights! 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

This one was so much better than last episode, and I loved all the little pop culture references, to echo many others. The candy rings on Baby Thanos's hand were GENIUS.

I also thought Janine looked STUNNING in this episode -- even as the basketball star, and of course again as Marilyn (where she was breathtaking). Although, to echo others, no way she was wearing an Ava costume here (I mean, for God's sakes, she's a full foot shorter, etc.).

However: Seeing Quinta in the Marilyn outfit was so interesting -- it is obvious that most of the time she and the costumers have been leaning into this unspoken idea that Janine is gently pudgy or overweight (which, more power to her -- speaking as one of the pudgy masses!). But both in the basketball costume and later in the gorgeous Marilyn garb, Quinta is by any definition a fit, healthy woman, so I wondered if they were just trying to make Janine more relatable or softer around the edges on purpose?

Meanwhile, the "Shining" photo at the end was great.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, paramitch said:

This one was so much better than last episode, and I loved all the little pop culture references, to echo many others. The candy rings on Baby Thanos's hand were GENIUS.

I also thought Janine looked STUNNING in this episode -- even as the basketball star, and of course again as Marilyn (where she was breathtaking). Although, to echo others, no way she was wearing an Ava costume here (I mean, for God's sakes, she's a full foot shorter, etc.).

However: Seeing Quinta in the Marilyn outfit was so interesting -- it is obvious that most of the time she and the costumers have been leaning into this unspoken idea that Janine is gently pudgy or overweight (which, more power to her -- speaking as one of the pudgy masses!). But both in the basketball costume and later in the gorgeous Marilyn garb, Quinta is by any definition a fit, healthy woman, so I wondered if they were just trying to make Janine more relatable or softer around the edges on purpose?

Meanwhile, the "Shining" photo at the end was great.

I think Janine buys clothes that she can afford not the clothes that fit her well. I wouldn't be surprised if she shops at thrift stores.

• Like 6
  • Useful 1

Speaking as someone with a naturally curvy build, I generally have to choose between looking dumpy or inappropriate in business wear, so unfortunately, erring on the side of caution is probably best. Especially for a second-grade teacher. Plus, petite women with curves are even harder to dress with the right balance (as my mom has bemoaned her whole life). I find Janine's dressing some of the more realistic parts of the show.

Quinta Brunson, however, has been killing it on the red carpet, so it's nice to see that contrast out in the "real" world!

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2