Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: Carrion Comfort

• Start Topic

Jenny and Beau investigate the bloody murder of a woman in her own backyard that turns into quite the family affair. Back at the Sunny Day Excursions, Buck grows increasingly suspicious of Sunny while Avery and Emily continue to question the disappearance of the missing camper. Cassie and Cormac discover something unimaginable out on the trail. Tonya and Donno accept a deadly proposition.

Air Date: October 12, 2022

I liked this episode.  The case of the week was interesting. Beau and Jenny working together was fun. Missed Denise though.

Carla didn’t seem like a kind person, a little obnoxious. Can see how she and Beau didn’t work out.

I wonder why they don’t bring up Jenny and Cassie’s sons anymore.  Wouldn’t that be something that Jenny, Cassie, and Beau bond over? MIssing their kids?  I mean, I don’t think they should have like 10 minutes of dialogue about it, but passing mentions at least?

So was the hiker just a random guy who fell off a cliff?  So far, the crime there seems to be not calling 911 and tampering with a body. Unless the hiker was there for some other reason not related (or related) to Walt.

So Buck knows about Walt. A child Sunny apparently gave up for adoption before meeting Buck. Wonder if Cormac knows?

More unknown stuff going on with Tonya and Donno. (I really like their characters. They’re fun to watch.)  Still in touch with the Bhullars. Hope Ren makes an appearance. I really like her too.

Paige is hiding out because she saw someone who was looking for her and decided to disappear? Seems she doesn’t really trust Luke. More mystery about what they’re actually involved in.

More unknowns about Avery. Is he involved? Is he just the new husband?

So many threads, just a little advancement.

• Like 1
  • Love 5

Carla's introduction is a pretty thankless one; within 30 seconds of her debut, she's mocking and belittling her ex in front of his co-worker (and sub-ordinate) whom she doesn't know, and Beau acting rather flustered and intimidated doesn't much help her case. Very effective, if instant dislike is what the writers were going for! At least Jenny stuck up for him, but I'm not buying (or just don't want to) that Beau's still in love with Carla like she claims. 

I like that Tonya and Donno are also being folded into the A-plot alongside their conspiring with Jenny's mom. Seems like all the major players this season, of which there are a fair few, will have some personal involvement in the main story.

• Like 1
  • Love 5

Beau:  "A werewolf?  That's new to me!"

Dean:  "Ha!"

So, it sounds like Walt's history was that he murdered his adopted parents and Sunny has been hiding him in the woods since.  Buck isn't his father, but knows about him and doesn't like him.  I wonder if the father will be connected to that mysterious murderer years ago?  Also, does Cormac even know that he has a half brother?  It also looks like a still alive Paige is with him, but I can't tell if she's an actual hostage or not.  Either way, Walt is clearly messed up in some ways, but I suspect there will be more to this.  My best guess is that we'll find out that his adoptive parents were abusing him, so that's why he did what he did.

Looks like Tonya and Donno might be getting worked into the main plot now by being hired to track down Paige and Luke.  That should be fun!  Also glad we got a mention of both Ren and the Bhullar organization in general.

In typical Big Sky fashion, Cassie and Cormac are getting their flirt on while in the woods looking for a likely dead body!  Which they naturally find at the end...

Case of the week was fun: got into some Criminal Minds type territory there at the end.

Finally meet Beau's ex who wasn't the worst I've seen out there, but was still kind of obnoxious.

Avery seems sincere about wanting to try and bond with Emily, but I still think something shady is going on with him.

Saw that Ryan O'Nan/Donno co-wrote this episode as well.  I believe this is his fourth episode which is kind of interesting.

• Like 6
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

Did Kylie Bunbury negotiate some extra time off or something?  Because she hasn’t had much to do in the last few episodes besides wandering around in the woods with first Denise and then Cormac.  I’m not really into Jenny and Cassie, but when they’re supposed to be carrying the show as leads, I think they should actually interact with each other for more than two minutes an episode.  And I haven’t seen many character beats for Cassie, either, while the storyline involving Jenny’s mom has come back into focus for her.  The crime-of-the-week storyline was suitably creepy, although I feel like it was resolved a bit too quickly.  I still like the camping storyline, and I hope there is some substantial forward movement in the next episode.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

Donno’s speech seems to have gotten more robotic than it was.  
Reba’s  character is hard to watch.  I find her disturbing 

She's supposed to be disturbing. She is clearly disturbed herself.

Ryan O'Nan(Donno) wrote this weeks episode, didn't he do a fantastic job? I actually thought he seemed a bit more "human".

But anyway I LOVED this weeks episode, I really thought it's the best of the season so far.  The main storyline has really started moving along, we've found out more of the history of Walt, Sunny and their pasts.  Emily looks like she is going to follow in Dad's footsteps with her detective work(or maybe someday she'll work for Cassie?:))  

Now is Avery "helping" or at least being so open to Emily's continuing her "investigation" because he wants to know what SHE's discovering in case she gets too close to something to do with him and he needs to put a stop to it?  It's interesting Carla said Avery really wanted this bonding trip, etc and Avery made it sound like Carla was the one who wanted them to "bond".

As for Carla, they just seemed like a divorced couple who still have some tensions, I didn't think she seemed like a terrible ex, maybe it's just the actress but she seems to have a warmth to her, BUT it was rude to show up at his work unannounced and put him down in front of his partner.  Beau was pretty flustered though.  I do think there is something to the idea that he still loves her, because of his reaction to her and also because he watched her walk away.

I quite enjoyed Cassie's investigation with Cormac tagging along, it was nice seeing her smile and having some fun ,even if they case she is on is serious and she and Cormac do have good chemistry(whether or not this is a good we'll see, he is part of Sunny's family after all).  Them coming up upon the body in the woods in the dark definitely gave the shivvers.

We found out Paige is hiding out with Walt who is trying to protect her - did Luke really try to kill her with that rock but Walt saw him and got to him first?  So now Paige is hiding out with him, both from Luke and whoever else might be after her?  She's clearly there by choice, at least to a certain extent she could easily have yelled out when Sunny and Buck were there to alert them to her presense and chose not to.

And now Donno and Tonya are involved because of Luke and Paige but who did they steal from, who would put out a hit on them?  If Avery is untrustworthy it be related to him?

Now that's out of the way, the weekly murder case was so so very creepy, it was really good.  That antique shop with all the dolls is a thing of nightmares. Not to mention the murderer's wolf mask.  

And the case was a very dark one with a mother murdered, an attempted murder on the father and all because some sicko was obsessed with a teenager since she was a child? It seems like some symbolism with the choice of mask used - Big Bad Wolf after Little Red Riding Hood?  Like a twisted nursery rhyme.  

The whole investigation was well done and also showed gave insight into how Beau and Jenny's partnership has progresses.  Seems like the personal and professional are starting to intersect, which Beau has been trying to avoid.

The scene in the hidden room VERY intense. finding the girl, her being drugged and out of it and then the perpetrator crawling out from under the bed.  The fight scene was very tense and well done in a small cramped space and of course it all ended with showing us how simpatico Beau and Jenny are becoming, they're developing that sort of ESP partners have when they've worked together closely for a while.  It was choreographed really well.  And I liked that they didn't have Beau, who didn't have his gun in his hand and was injured, try to "protect" Jenny by shoving her away.  He took the best tactical decision in that situation and BECAUSE they have now started to develop that partnership, she did what had to be done without delay and without needing it explained. She could protect everyone and he enabled her to do so.

And it did lead to this rather hot scene there at the end.(text of the tweet isn't mine, This was the only video of this part of the scene I found on short notice, the others were cut up into smaller pieces)

Edited by tessathereaper
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
15 minutes ago, tessathereaper said:

She's supposed to be disturbing. She is clearly disturbed herself.

Ryan O'Nan(Donno) wrote this weeks episode, didn't he do a fantastic job? I actually thought he seemed a bit more "human".

But anyway I LOVED this weeks episode, I really thought it's the best of the season so far.  The main storyline has really started moving along, we've found out more of the history of Walt, Sunny and their pasts.  Emily looks like she is going to follow in Dad's footsteps with her detective work(or maybe someday she'll work for Cassie?:))  

Now is Avery "helping" or at least being so open to Emily's continuing her "investigation" because he wants to know what SHE's discovering in case she gets too close to something to do with him and he needs to put a stop to it?  It's interesting Carla said Avery really wanted this bonding trip, etc and Avery made it sound like Carla was the one who wanted them to "bond".

As for Carla, they just seemed like a divorced couple who still have some tensions, I didn't think she seemed like a terrible ex, maybe it's just the actress but she seems to have a warmth to her, BUT it was rude to show up at his work unannounced and put him down in front of his partner.  Beau was pretty flustered though.  I do think there is something to the idea that he still loves her, because of his reaction to her and also because he watched her walk away.

I quite enjoyed Cassie's investigation with Cormac tagging along, it was nice seeing her smile and having some fun ,even if they case she is on is serious and she and Cormac do have good chemistry(whether or not this is a good we'll see, he is part of Sunny's family after all).  Them coming up upon the body in the woods in the dark definitely gave the shivvers.

We found out Paige is hiding out with Walt who is trying to protect her - did Luke really try to kill her with that rock but Walt saw him and got to him first?  So now Paige is hiding out with him, both from Luke and whoever else might be after her?  She's clearly there by choice, at least to a certain extent she could easily have yelled out when Sunny and Buck were there to alert them to her presense and chose not to.

And now Donno and Tonya are involved because of Luke and Paige but who did they steal from, who would put out a hit on them?  If Avery is untrustworthy it be related to him?

Now that's out of the way, the weekly murder case was so so very creepy, it was really good.  That antique shop with all the dolls is a thing of nightmares. Not to mention the murderer's wolf mask.  

And the case was a very dark one with a mother murdered, an attempted murder on the father and all because some sicko was obsessed with a teenager since she was a child? It seems like some symbolism with the choice of mask used - Big Bad Wolf after Little Red Riding Hood?  Like a twisted nursery rhyme.  

The whole investigation was well done and also showed gave insight into how Beau and Jenny's partnership has progresses.  Seems like the personal and professional are starting to intersect, which Beau has been trying to avoid.

The scene in the hidden room VERY intense. finding the girl, her being drugged and out of it and then the perpetrator crawling out from under the bed.  The fight scene was very tense and well done in a small cramped space and of course it all ended with showing us how simpatico Beau and Jenny are becoming, they're developing that sort of ESP partners have when they've worked together closely for a while.  It was choreographed really well.  And I liked that they didn't have Beau, who didn't have his gun in his hand and was injured, try to "protect" Jenny by shoving her away.  He took the best tactical decision in that situation and BECAUSE they have now started to develop that partnership, she did what had to be done without delay and without needing it explained. She could protect everyone and he enabled her to do so.

And it did lead to this rather hot scene there at the end.(text of the tweet isn't mine, This was the only video of this part of the scene I found)

Oh my...

I haven't been able to watch yet, but this post and that scene have me chomping at the bit now.

I'd heard/read that there was another heat-filled, loaded scene involving Jenny and Beau at the end and Hot Damn!, I say.

I was going to wait until tonight, but I think I'm just going to watch it right now.

To hell with the grocery shopping after this...🙃 

Thank you, Tessa.  😘

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Yeah to me it seems like everything is moving forward in intensity.  Now that there are 4 episodes it looks like they have been intentionally building it up each week.

Even the mystery of the week was more intense, more violent, more shocking.

They've been teasing Cassie and Cormac's flirtation since the first episode, now they essentially went on a "first date" investigation and also proceed to make a very gory break in Cassie backpacker case.

They've been teasing the mysteries at the camp and now this week we find out exactly how much Buck knows and the tensions are very high between Sunny, Buck and Walt.

Avery says he will support Emily continuing her investigation which seems to ease the tension between them. Luke confronts Emily about her suspicions about him with a subtle threat. 

Beau has been pretty strict on not letting Jenny into his personal life except on a superficial level, but this week she meets his ex-wife and sees how his ex- unsettles him and the professional rapport they've been slowly establishing this time helps save their lives on a very disturbing case.

And Tanya and Donno are NOW bring corralled into the glamping situation, to go after Paige and Luke - where the issue with Walt, the backpacker and what Sunny is willing to do to protect her family are also being tied into the Paige and Luke situation because Paige is hiding with Walt.

Honestly I'm really loving how they are weaving everything together.  Many of these things started seperately but are now starting to careen towards each other.

Edited by tessathereaper
  • Like 6
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

It was so good!

I loved it.

And IA that things are moving along at a good pace.

Still lots of questions that need answers, but that's ok considering we're not even a third of the way through the season yet. 

And yes, the case of the week was darker and creepier than ever before and it's getting darker and creepier out there in the woods too. 

Looking so forward to next week's episode.

• Like 3
  • Love 3
22 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

Donno’s speech seems to have gotten more robotic than it was.  

Who knew Reba could play demented? She is fabulous. I love, love, love her show from 20+years ago. Reba is more versatile than I ever thought. She really is a gem.

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, luvthepros said:

Who knew Reba could play demented? She is fabulous. I love, love, love her show from 20+years ago. Reba is more versatile than I ever thought. She really is a gem.

I definitely think Sunny is scarier than Walter 

• Like 8
  • Love 5

Just a couple of questions about the case of the week..........Was the hidden room located in the perpetrator's home? Why did the Dad go there, which is where he was nearly murdered?

18 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

I definitely think Sunny is scarier than Walter 

Maybe so but Walt has murdered when he was very young. Wonder if Sunny has any such skeletons in her past. Hmmm.

Edited by luvthepros
44 minutes ago, luvthepros said:

Just a couple of questions about the case of the week..........Was the hidden room located in the perpetrator's home? Why did the Dad go there, which is where he was nearly murdered?

Maybe so but Walt has murdered when he was very young. Wonder if Sunny has any such skeletons in her past. Hmmm.

I was confused about the location or that room myself.  

We were told that Walter murdered his adoptive parents, but what if Sunny did it instead and blamed it on him? 

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 3
  • Useful 5
41 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

We were told that Walter murdered his adoptive parents, but what if Sunny did it instead and blamed it on him? 

My first guess was that his adoptive parents were somehow horribly abusive and the murder was justified, but that's also an interesting possibility.  Maybe both?

• Like 3
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, luvthepros said:

I think the hidden room was in Scott's home. But I think that Beau and Jenny found the Dad in his own home and he was nearly murdered trying to prevent Scott from taking his daughter. Then the two went to Scott's home and found the room, the girl and Scott.

• Like 4
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, FlickChick said:

I think the hidden room was in Scott's home. But I think that Beau and Jenny found the Dad in his own home and he was nearly murdered trying to prevent Scott from taking his daughter. Then the two went to Scott's home and found the room, the girl and Scott.

Yes. This.

The dad told them it was Scott from his hospital bed.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, FlickChick said:

Thank you! That sounds most likely. I just wish those scenes were clearer rather than to have us wondering what actually occurred.

• Like 1

I don't understand the Avery/Emily dynamic.  He is supposedly supportive of her but then lets her wander around the woods by herself, looking for her lost knife?  What is he doing while she's out in the woods?   The entire relationship just seems fake, in a really obvious way.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Frost said:

I don't understand the Avery/Emily dynamic.  He is supposedly supportive of her but then lets her wander around the woods by herself, looking for her lost knife?  What is he doing while she's out in the woods?   The entire relationship just seems fake, in a really obvious way.

I think we're supposed to be suspicious of Stepfather Avery.  He was snooping around in the other couple's tent and pretended that he got confused because "all the tents look the same."  He's continuing to act a little shady.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

I think we're supposed to be suspicious of Stepfather Avery.  He was snooping around in the other couple's tent and pretended that he got confused because "all the tents look the same."  He's continuing to act a little shady.

Carla told Beau that he(Avery) could get too "focused*-which seems to be what's happening with him as regards whatever he was looking for in Paige and Luke's tent(the money they took?) since he's now encouraged Emily to keep digging when she was apparently ready to stop if he had just told her to.

I'm wondering who he's working for more than anything else.

Still lots of secrets being kept at the camp.

And sorry Cassie, but I don't trust Cormac either.

Edited by Myrelle
  • Like 3
  • Love 2

I was thinking this too the only thing that kind of made me go maybe not is that wouldn't Paige and Luke recognize him?  Beau would certainly know what company Avery owned.

I have to imagine it would an indirectly connection like maybe Avery's company did work for the other company but he isn't actually someone anyone would know was connected to.

1 hour ago, tessathereaper said:

I was thinking this too the only thing that kind of made me go maybe not is that wouldn't Paige and Luke recognize him?  Beau would certainly know what company Avery owned.

As far as I know the Cops and PI are only looking for the missing hiker. They don't know anything about Paige being missing or Luke/Paige stealing money. Luke and Paige also used fake last names.

I actually think Luke/Paige/Avery are in on it together.  

• Useful 4

That was a really good episode, this season really had been an improvement on the rest of the seasons so far. Its not perfect or anything, but it feels a lot more put together. The COTW was surprisingly creepy, it seemed like a turn back towards crazy Big Sky, and I am glad that all of the plots are starting to come together. I am especially glad that Tonya and Donno are going to be more in play now, they're my favorite supporting characters. I dig their kind of crazy. 

Beau and Jenny have solid chemistry, I liked them solving the case together. I am already not a fan of his ex, she seemed really unnecessarily hostile towards Beau, who was being perfectly nice to her. 

I'm really impressed at how good Reba is at playing a villain, she's done a great job at taking her usual persona and giving it this very sinister side, Sunny is even creepier than Walter. Walter is clearly not mentally well, she doesn't have that excuse. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Like 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5

I'm late to the entire season this year, but I think I've got most of it cleaned up by reading the forums.  I too have a couple of questions.

Cormac leads Cassie on  their ATVs all over the woods, and spot the buzzards.  They start hiking and find the body after dark.  Yet, the next morning, several vehicles are parked at the site.  Wouldn't Cormac know about a road up on the mountainside?

Scott is hiding under the bed in the hidden room.  Was there a light switch under the bed that enabled him to turn off the lights?

That henchman at Tonya's restaurant was on cheap bastard.  A dollar for a cup of coffee?

• Like 1
On 10/20/2022 at 10:09 PM, Tachi Rocinante said:

Reba's bad fillers or whatever up the creepy factor for me.  Her face is like a mask, and I think she's wearing a wig.

I think it's a fall/half wig or extensions. The top part seems fine but the bottom layers move more stiffly. I like Reba. I've been watching her in things since I was a little kid but the fillers aren't great and the lip injection is unnecessarily her-- I mean she had no lips but it was fine for her. 

I know I'm the lone wolf here sitting at a table for one but if Beau has to be matched up with one of the leads I felt like his chemistry with Cadsie was much better and more interesting. The other lead just doesn't pop the same with him and the whole thing seems forced. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I think Beau should be the one doing all the murders. It would make the show a zillion times more interesting and Jensen can handle the crazy psycho act easily.  But it’ll probably follow the usual predictable path of network procedurals.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
39 minutes ago, Pondlass1 said:

I think Beau should be the one doing all the murders. It would make the show a zillion times more interesting and Jensen can handle the crazy psycho act easily.  But it’ll probably follow the usual predictable path of network procedurals.

He was awesome in that Bloody Valentine movie. Thought he would do more stuff like that but no dice. 

On 11/27/2022 at 9:39 AM, Imara219 said:

I know I'm the lone wolf here sitting at a table for one but if Beau has to be matched up with one of the leads I felt like his chemistry with Cadsie was much better and more interesting. The other lead just doesn't pop the same with him and the whole thing seems forced. 

I agree that Beau has better chemistry with Cassie, but apparently they want her with Cormac. Personally, I don't think they're going to match Beau up with either one since we're half-way through the season and Jenny and Beau seem just like partners/friends. But Lordy, Beau and his ex have zero chemistry and after watching Jensen for over twenty years, I don't think he's the problem.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
On 10/13/2022 at 2:55 PM, mythoughtis said:

I don't mind Reba's character being disturbing, since it's part of the plot.  But I don't think I should find the actor's awful plastic surgery and terrible acting disturbing.  Unfortunately, I do.

• Like 2