Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Atlantis

• Start Topic

It was great to see Susan Diol.  I remember tearing up at the end of her first episode, MIA.   I also think that the fact that Beth lied to Magic means that Janis has some kind of reason for what she's doing, apart from villainy.   Although I guess there has to be a noble reason for Ben to have gotten involved and to bypass the rest of the team before making the leap. 

I'm enjoying the show, although I still haven't warmed up to Addison.   But I like the dual story format, where they show what is going on back at the lab (or in the basement as the case may be) as well as what is happening during the leap itself.   

• Like 2
  • Love 6

I am liking the callbacks and it was great to see Beth. 

There are still elements that I find hard to believe...The Project being abandoned while Sam was lost in time....Al wouldn't have stood for that....

Also, I loved the Sam Stratton character as it I had to look it up but I KNEW she is the daughter of Captain Tom Stratton from Sam's original leap.....If they keep these little easter eggs going, I just might keep watching the show....It feels like Sam's leaps really do impact the future in ways he didn't expect....

• Like 2
  • Useful 5
  • Love 4
18 minutes ago, Thalia said:

I'm enjoying the show, although I still haven't warmed up to Addison.   But I like the dual story format, where they show what is going on back at the lab (or in the basement as the case may be) as well as what is happening during the leap itself.   

I'm torn about the dual story. I like seeing what is happening back at home base, but I also think we could get richer stories about the people is leaping into/near with more time on them.

15 minutes ago, stonehaven said:

Also, I loved the Sam Stratton character as it I had to look it up but I KNEW she is the daughter of Captain Tom Stratton from Sam's original leap.....If they keep these little easter eggs going, I just might keep watching the show....It feels like Sam's leaps really do impact the future in ways he didn't expect....

Oh, that is a cool Easter egg. I really liked that character too, she was the most interesting of the people on the space shuttle. Overall, I think the leap story was better this week than last week. It was more interesting and it felt like the stakes were higher. Plus, outer space is always cool.

• Like 3
  • Love 2
42 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

I'm torn about the dual story. I like seeing what is happening back at home base, but I also think we could get richer stories about the people is leaping into/near with more time on them.

Agreed. I liked this episode better than the first, and the future/present storyline was generally handled well and interesting enough...but I wish there was more of Ben in the past. That's where the best stuff is, and should be. The present stuff feels like a distraction at times.

Still, even if I think this one lacks a lot of the charm of the original, which told interesting human stories and only needed its two leads to hold the audience's attention, I'm starting to accept it more on its own terms. It's definitely a modern, today's TV-style take on the material, for all that entails, and is doing a decent job of being that.

Edited by TheOtherOne
  • Like 2
  • Love 3

Still absolutely cannot stand the fiance is she being the hologram.  Hate it more and more.  You need some levity on this show and not endless hand wringing lost love soap opera stuff.  I don't care about lost love crap.  I actually hate it.  This is a science fiction show, not Love Story.  I want quirky characters.

Now this episode, other than the sad-faced, boring hologram woman I don't even care to learn the name of, was much better than the pilot.  That one was terrible from beginning to end with the leaped into story line a total snooze.  This storyline was much better.  That I will give the show.  That and the introduction of Al's daughter -  who SHOULD be the hologram by right of birth (heh) - was interesting.   If she and Ben were up to something she should indeed be the hologram anyway since they have a set goal to achieve together.

I don't know what the goal is and I am not spoiled but, other than saving planet earth or some sort of massive thing like that, I'd bet on it involving either Sam or Al or both.

• Love 1

I thought this episode was better than the first episode until they got to the outer space stuff where it started to feel like a basic cable sci fi show with the basic cable budget special effects.  Nothing wrong with that exactly except I expect things to feel a bit bigger budget on a network show.

I still haven't warmed to the Addison actress but she was a little better this week.  There was a little more humor and I bought that she was his fiance a little more during the ring scene.

I do think they did better with the past stuff in that we had enough of the past for me to care more than I did last week. There was an actual character arc in the past with Stratton. 

The present stuff is a mixed bag for me.  Ian continues to be the Present Day MVP.  They* bring the humor and I still wish they were the hologram chasing Ben around. I loved their line about how they thought Addison saying "we're in this together" was about the two of them and then having to hide their humiliation when Ian realized she was talking about herself and Ben.

But I also think that eventually having four present day character is going to be too many characters.  How are they going to give everyone a story once this Janis arc wraps up?  Speaking of Janis, they can't have the character say she's not a villain but then basically act like a villain in her own lair.  If she's not supposed to be an evil mastermind, that was an interesting choice.

*I don't know if I said this in the first episode thread but since the actor is nonbinary and they seem to be styling Ian as if they were nonbinary, I'll use they pronouns until they clarify otherwise. 

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 1
  • Love 6

I think I've figured out all the character names finally.

Eddie Hudson = Magic. He's in charge of the ground team but apparently has no actual role in managing. The team just does what it wants, doesn't consult him, and goes rogue at every juncture. He's the token non-threatening Black man who has rank but doesn't use it so the white egos in the audience won't tbe threatened and think the show is too woke to watch. Nice guy, smiles a lot, and doesn't have a clue what anyone on his team is doing.

Addison = hologram/guide + fiancee of leaper. I hate that they've made her basically a side-kick stand-by-your-man bot, who helps her dude and alternates between being humiliated by his betrayal and angsty because she lurves him. They went out of their way to establish that she was supposed to be the leaper, and then took that away and sent a Noble Man With Secrets to do it instead.

Ian = non-binary member of ground team, and... not sure what their specific role is... maybe programmer for Ziggy? Or they just read the reports Ziggy issues? They're okay, but mostly devoid of personality, just there to serve as exposition and sounding board for Addison.

Ziggy= the computer

Jen = other team member, specializes in cryptography? She's at least a little bit less of a dishrag, but her feistiness is still mostly just for show. She knows Addison is withholding info but doesn't do anything about it even though the info is mission critical. She gives Magic unwanted advice and changes his mind about how to manage the team. She's should probably be leading the team, not just running her mouth and having no authority. I hate when writers try to make women strong by making them mouthy but giving them no actual power nor even ambition to wield any.

Sam Ben = leaper.

Janice = accomplice of Sam  Ben in their secret mission. But how is she actually aiding him? And why would he trust her more than his team? And why is she so angry that the team is trying to figure out what the hell is going on? If the mission is actually good and not some kind of treasonous crap, then why would she be so defensive and hostile to Sam's Ben's people?

Breaking News: space is awesome.

And the Russians don't sleep in shifts, they just let their craft be totally unattended while they all sleep at once. But if you knock on their window, they will wake up, even though broadcasting through their comms won't wake them.

Edited by possibilities
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, stonehaven said:

I am liking the callbacks and it was great to see Beth. 

There are still elements that I find hard to believe...The Project being abandoned while Sam was lost in time....Al wouldn't have stood for that....

Maybe that is why Janice is involved? To bring Sam back?

• Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

Totally agree that Ian would have been the better choice for hologram. The show needs some more levity, and it would be interesting to see Ian bring that energy to the scenes with Ben - the tone of these first two episodes have been very intense, and lacks the warmth and humanity (for lack of a better word) of the original series. 

I wish too that they would spend more time in the past, and not get bogged down with this mystery of Al's daughter - the leap is where the magic of this concept is, and feels like they're kinda missing the mark by not developing the story more there or the chemistry between Ben and Addison. I get that this version is trying to do something different with a more modern take, but with the faster pace and focus on Al's daughter and all these secrets the team is tracking down, it's kinda coming off like any other generic sci-fi or high-concept drama with a mystery/conspiracy twist, and not fully leaning yet into what makes Quantum Leap feel more special.

Hopefully future episodes will also have more everyday stories and people - everything so far has felt very high stakes and, again, intense.

And I still miss seeing a proper / more visual leap effect.

• Love 3
On 9/27/2022 at 6:23 AM, greekmom said:

That makes sense, but why can't they tell Addison about that? Why did Sam Ben have to leap at that exact instant, and not tell anyone why? It would be more enjoyable to see the team working together rather than on dual tracks for no apparent reason.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 1

The final destination point is where Sam is, right? I imagine the secret mission is to find Sam some where in the past 30 years and bring him home back to his original time when he got lost.

Of course that will have drastic effect on the current Quantum Leap program.

Also Beth is looking much younger than she should be since the last time we saw her in the original show, it was in the 60s. She should be in her 80s.

Edited by nilyank
  • Like 1
  • Love 3

I get that this version is trying to do something different with a more modern take, but with the faster pace and focus on Al's daughter and all these secrets the team is tracking down, it's kinda coming off like any other generic sci-fi or high-concept drama with a mystery/conspiracy twist, and not fully leaning yet into what makes Quantum Leap feel more special.

Yeah - that's where I am too. The problem with the present day story is that episodic television is not a good medium for the mystery genre. You can only drag things out for so long before the audience gets frustrated. It's reminding me of La Brea - and that's NOT a good comparison. The time travel stuff is enough, you don't need to add an obligatory mystery/conspiracy element to it. 

I'm also feeling more and more that Addison is a drag - on Sam and the show both. She is utterly lacking any charisma or personality.

I did think it was pretty cool that it was the same actress playing Beth though. 

• Like 2
  • Love 3
58 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Yeah - that's where I am too. The problem with the present day story is that episodic television is not a good medium for the mystery genre. You can only drag things out for so long before the audience gets frustrated. It's reminding me of La Brea - and that's NOT a good comparison. The time travel stuff is enough, you don't need to add an obligatory mystery/conspiracy element to it. 

I'm also feeling more and more that Addison is a drag - on Sam and the show both. She is utterly lacking any charisma or personality.

I did think it was pretty cool that it was the same actress playing Beth though. 

She was a bit better last night, but damn, I miss Al! 

On a personal note, my cousin partied with Dean Stockwell (and Dennis Hooper!) years ago. He said he was a real nice guy, very laid back....

Edited by libgirl2
  • Like 2
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, nilyank said:

Also Janice is looking much younger than she should be since the last time we saw her in the original show, it was in the 60s. She should be in her 80s.

I noticed that right off. While it was nice to see the original actress, they should have aged her more. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, nilyank said:

The final destination point is where Sam is, right? I imagine the secret mission is to find Sam some where in the past 30 years and bring him home back to his original time when he got lost.

That is what I thought too. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, greekmom said:

And/or maybe to save Al? 

Remember Al's daughter left home after her dad died last year according to her mom so that seems to be a motivation for her project.  Maybe her goal is to try and keep her dad alive somehow.  Maybe by first finding Sam and having him help. 

On paper that works.  On TV the actor who played Al died last year and no indication if Scott wants to come back for an episode or two. 

I guess they could cast a new actor "Sam" that hasn't aged any over the years because he has been endlessly jumping.  (Do leapers age while in "leap" mode traveling/helping?  Didn't have to say one way or the other on the original since there was no need to decide that -- no big time gap in "real life" -- so they could add that in if they want). 

But if any of this does involve Sam and/or Al then the mystery I guess is why Ben would be so emotionally motivated to help her by risking everything and going rogue.  He didn't personally know either Sam or Al after all.

• Useful 2
9 hours ago, possibilities said:

I think I've figured out all the character names finally.

Eddie Hudson = Magic. He's in charge of the ground team but apparently has no actual role in managing. The team just does what it wants, doesn't consult him, and goes rogue at every juncture. He's the token non-threatening Black man who has rank but doesn't use it so the white egos in the audience won't tbe threatened and think the show is too woke to watch. Nice guy, smiles a lot, and doesn't have a clue what anyone on his team is doing.

Addison = hologram/guide + fiancee of leaper. I hate that they've made her basically a side-kick stand-by-your-man bot, who helps her dude and alternates between being humiliated by his betrayal and angsty because she lurves him. They went out of their way to establish that she was supposed to be the leaper, and then took that away and sent a Noble Man With Secrets to do it instead.

Ian = non-binary member of ground team, and... not sure what their specific role is... maybe programmer for Ziggy? Or they just read the reports Ziggy issues? They're okay, but mostly devoid of personality, just there to serve as exposition and sounding board for Addison.

Ziggy= the computer

Jen = other team member, specializes in cryptography? She's at least a little bit less of a dishrag, but her feistiness is still mostly just for show. She knows Addison is withholding info but doesn't do anything about it even though the info is mission critical. She gives Magic unwanted advice and changes his mind about how to manage the team. She's should probably be leading the team, not just running her mouth and having no authority. I hate when writers try to make women strong by making them mouthy but giving them no actual power nor even ambition to wield any.

Sam = leaper.

Janice = accomplice of Sam in their secret mission. But how is she actually aiding him? And why would he trust her more than his team? And why is she so angry that the team is trying to figure out what the hell is going on? If the mission is actually good and not some kind of treasonous crap, then why would she be so defensive and hostile to Sam's people?

Breaking News: space is awesome.

And the Russians don't sleep in shifts, they just let their craft be totally unattended while they all sleep at once. But if you knock on their window, they will wake up, even though broadcasting through their comms won't wake them.

Thanks so much.  The female Asian actor is head of security isn't she?  Is she "Jen?"

I liked your write-up but disagree abut Ian.  He/she/they (I tend towards he more I guess with Ian being the name and non-binary sounds weird honestly like they are a computer or something running binary code) is the best character in the show so far.  Far more interesting then the rest of the lot all together. 

Ben is okay so far but nothing special.  He does have his moments and I think he will "work" long term though.  He'd do way better having an Al-caliber hologram to work with and Ian is the closest thing to that so can we please have the current one killed off or at least frozen in stasis and let Ian take her place asap!!!  The rest are pretty boring so far.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Skooma said:

Remember Al's daughter left home after her dad died last year according to her mom so that seems to be a motivation for her project. 

Didn't Janice say that Ben came to her, not the other way around? Ben is the genius scientist behind the revitalized project. He wasn't supposed to be the Leaper. But in doing his calculations, he discovered something catastrophic happened/will happen at the focal point if he doesn't intervene. Maybe Sam does something that will stop the original project from even happening, which means Beth never waits for Al and Ben never meets Addison.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, Good Queen Jane said:

Didn't Janice say that Ben came to her, not the other way around? Ben is the genius scientist behind the revitalized project. He wasn't supposed to be the Leaper. But in doing his calculations, he discovered something catastrophic happened/will happen at the focal point if he doesn't intervene. Maybe Sam does something that will stop the original project from even happening, which means Beth never waits for Al and Ben never meets Addison.  

Yeah I forgot that bit about Ben going to Al's daughter.  Thanks!

• Like 1
10 hours ago, possibilities said:

Sam = leaper.

Janice = accomplice of Sam in their secret mission.

Do you mean Ben? Sam was the original leaper.

I liked this episode better than the first, but this reboot just doesn't seem to have the heart that the original series had. There are multiple TV stations showing the original series, and I've caught a few episodes recently. I think I saw most of the original episodes when they first aired, but it was so long ago. I think part of the problem with the reboot, as someone else suggested, is due to the split timelines and not getting to delve deep enough into the characters and story in the leap timeline. Also, Ben seems more concerned about himself and getting home, where Sam seemed to truly care about the person he was leaping into and their life.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, pezgirl7 said:

I liked this episode better than the first, but this reboot just doesn't seem to have the heart that the original series had. There are multiple TV stations showing the original series, and I've caught a few episodes recently. I think I saw most of the original episodes when they first aired, but it was so long ago. I think part of the problem with the reboot, as someone else suggested, is due to the split timelines and not getting to delve deep enough into the characters and story in the leap timeline. Also, Ben seems more concerned about himself and getting home, where Sam seemed to truly care about the person he was leaping into and their life.

I think because we didn't have the split timelines in the original, us the audience, like Sam, depended on Al as our  "lifeline". 

• Love 3

Not only have I not bonded with the hologram they aren’t doing a lot to help this. They keep saying she’d be better at the leaps but they aren’t telling us anything about her.  Obviously this is a different time and holograms can look up on YouTube how to do the things they need to talk Ben through but if she has all the skills let’s hear about it. Al would have a story about his past to explain his bizarre skill set. 

I like Ben. I like Ian. I wish they were the hologram. I like Magic but I wish they were more than the rubber stamp. And I’m good to have Janis join the team on a side quest to find Sam but I need to spend less time in the present day. 

but Ben’s geeking out about his space hero?  That was a good moment.  Still needed a little bit of levity. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, possibilities said:

That makes sense, but why can't they tell Addison about that? Why did Sam have to leap at that exact instant, and not tell anyone why? It would be more enjoyable to see the team working together rather than on dual tracks for no apparent reason.

Also, if he found out where Sam would be at a specific time, why the rush in leaping to him. They could wait to finish the technology and then still jump to the same point. Time travel is something that doesn't need to be rushed.

6 hours ago, Skooma said:

I guess they could cast a new actor "Sam" that hasn't aged any over the years because he has been endlessly jumping.  (Do leapers age while in "leap" mode traveling/helping?  Didn't have to say one way or the other on the original since there was no need to decide that -- no big time gap in "real life" -- so they could add that in if they want). 

Leapers do age. In the finale of the original, Sam saw himself in the mirror for the first time in years and was surprised to see gray hairs.

It would be pretty dumb of them to make Ben's leap be about finding Sam if they don't have a commitment from Scott Bakula. Fans of the original won't accept a recast and non-fans of the original won't care about the whole plot. So either, Bakula is lying about not being involved, the writers are dumb, or Ben's leap is about something else. I hope they have a good plan for that storyline.

• Applause 1
  • Love 6
6 hours ago, Skooma said:

Thanks so much.  The female Asian actor is head of security isn't she?  Is she "Jen?"

Yes! Head of security! That tracks.

Also, I tagged our leaper as "Sam" ... but it's "Ben," isn't it? Sam was from the original show, Ben in this reboot.

5 hours ago, pezgirl7 said:

Yep. I messed that up.

Mason Alexander Park (who plays Ian) has used they/them pronouns when discussing the character of Ian, and the original casting call describes Ian as non-binary. If Ian's pronouns were mentioned on the show, then I missed it, but everything I am seeing is suggesting we should be using they/them pronouns for Ian. Posts that do not align with the Primetimer Inclusion Policy will be removed.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
23 hours ago, stonehaven said:

Nice catch. I wouldn't remember that level of detail. That is important though. I'll have to pay closer attention. I obviously knew who Beth was, and was really surprised. 

I liked Ben's monologue to the captain to convince him to go with Stratton's plan. It was really well done. It was also some dry humor there, when the plan involved Ben going on another walk and Addison just kind of looked at him and shrugged. Then she cracked, 'two spacewalks, one day; just saying'. Ian's line about being mortified and bouncing back gracefully was a good crack too. Funny aside, Ben agreeing about the team thinking he had bad intentions was a good moment too. Though I disagree about keeping him too much in the dark. He can't control the leaps; he has to do what he leaps to do to leap again. So even in remembering his plan, there's not much he can do. 

I also liked how what Ziggy thought they had to do made everything worse. What I wonder now is that when Addison said, the thermal shielding is too damaged; the same thing happened in 2003. Originally that didn't happen, but now, because it did, would the 2003 mission recognize the problem and they also didn't burn up? I really hope so, and having Stratton here seems to be implying to me. 

It's Al's daughter. A giant time map. *Of course* it involves Sam. Given how tightly the show has been in 2 episodes to the original, as well as who Magic is. A reason to leap early would also imply that Sam was going to do something catastrophic and possibly unravel everything, as was said. 

There's still no mention of 'time travel within one's lifetime' so I don't know if that applies anymore. If so, there's probably only a small window where Sam and Ben could interact. 

1 hour ago, DoctorAtomic said:

There's still no mention of 'time travel within one's lifetime' so I don't know if that applies anymore. If so, there's probably only a small window where Sam and Ben could interact. 

I don't know how old Ben is supposed to be, but the actor was born in 1987 and Ben already leaped to 1985. They could have him slightly older than the actor, but I think he is in the 1970s next week. Them not mentioning it makes me think they don't want to be tied to it. It gives them way more options.

Even if it was in his own lifetime, they have some of the 80s and all of the 90s. Plus later if you think Sam could have leapt into the future (which supposedly would have happened if the show hadn't been cancelled).

• Love 1
On 9/26/2022 at 11:30 PM, KaveDweller said:

On 9/27/2022 at 12:12 AM, TheOtherOne said:

Agreed. I liked this episode better than the first, and the future/present storyline was generally handled well and interesting enough...but I wish there was more of Ben in the past. That's where the best stuff is, and should be. The present stuff feels like a distraction at times.

15 hours ago, bamlouie said:

I wish too that they would spend more time in the past, and not get bogged down with this mystery of Al's daughter - the leap is where the magic of this concept is, and feels like they're kinda missing the mark by not developing the story more there or the chemistry between Ben and Addison. I get that this version is trying to do something different with a more modern take, but with the faster pace and focus on Al's daughter and all these secrets the team is tracking down, it's kinda coming off like any other generic sci-fi or high-concept drama with a mystery/conspiracy twist, and not fully leaning yet into what makes Quantum Leap feel more special.

I agree. It feels like the Ben stories are getting reduced and cut down to make room for the HQ stories. If this had been the original series, there would have been a fun scene of Ben/Sam (the original leaper) trying to figure out how to eat in space or something similar. We aren't getting the fun scenes of Ben figuring out what exists or doesn't exist in the time period, or moments of fun as he explores the era. There isn't time for anything that isn't directly mission related because they have 42 minutes to tell Ben's story and the HQ story. 

23 hours ago, Skooma said:

Still absolutely cannot stand the fiance is she being the hologram.  Hate it more and more.  You need some levity on this show and not endless hand wringing lost love soap opera stuff.  I don't care about lost love crap.  I actually hate it.  This is a science fiction show, not Love Story.  I want quirky characters.

15 hours ago, bamlouie said:

Totally agree that Ian would have been the better choice for hologram. The show needs some more levity, and it would be interesting to see Ian bring that energy to the scenes with Ben - the tone of these first two episodes have been very intense, and lacks the warmth and humanity (for lack of a better word) of the original series. 

Same here. I loved Al. I watched every episode of the original series eagerly awaiting what crazy/unusual skill Al knew and where he learned it (from one of his ex-wives or his vast unusual life experiences). The remake lacks the fun and humor of the original series. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, Skooma said:

And/or maybe to save Al? 

Remember Al's daughter left home after her dad died last year according to her mom so that seems to be a motivation for her project.  Maybe her goal is to try and keep her dad alive somehow.  Maybe by first finding Sam and having him help. 

I doubt it. My guess is that it is to finish what her father couldn’t and bring Sam home. Last week they also said that Janice wanted to work on the current projected but was rejected because her connection kept her from being objective. So she was interested before Ben approached her. 

6 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

It would be pretty dumb of them to make Ben's leap be about finding Sam if they don't have a commitment from Scott Bakula. Fans of the original won't accept a recast and non-fans of the original won't care about the whole plot. So either, Bakula is lying about not being involved, the writers are dumb, or Ben's leap is about something else. I hope they have a good plan for that storyline.

I’m guessing that they are outright lying or technically being truthful because there is probably no plan to wrap up that part quickly. So Sam’s not showing up this season but there is a plan down the line. Bakula has always been so enthusiastic about bringing the show back and is a really good sport so I can’t see him not coming back for at least a cameo. 

16 hours ago, bamlouie said:

I agree but this is one area that probably comes down to the clunkiness of early episode exposition. Like the first episode not doing the normal “putting right what once went wrong” wrap up. The characters are still adjusting to the plot and the intensity hopefully will lighten once this becomes the new normal. 

Plus I would be shocked if we don’t get at least one episode soon where Addison is deemed to emotionally invested and benched briefly allowing others a spin as the hologram. It would be such a waste if they don’t give Ben more personalities to play off of. 

13 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

It would be pretty dumb of them to make Ben's leap be about finding Sam if they don't have a commitment from Scott Bakula. Fans of the original won't accept a recast and non-fans of the original won't care about the whole plot.

They could have Ben meet Sam when Sam has leaped into someone else. Ben would be like everyone else and see Sam as the other person. We the audience would see Sam from Ben's point of view. Just because they are both leapers doesn't mean they can see each other's actual self. That's not to say I don't want Scott Bakula to appear (because I do), but that is a way they could have Sam appear even multiple times, each time being portrayed by different actors.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

Them not mentioning it makes me think they don't want to be tied to it. It gives them way more options.

I'm all for the 70s. I'm certainly not complaining. I'm just wondering if they'll get into any of the leap mechanics. Sam had originally said something about 'string theory' as the basis for leaping. I mean, foundationally, it's not really a scifi show, and I don't need it to be. Given how tightly coupled it is to the original show, it's on my mind. 

10 hours ago, Dani said:

Bakula has always been so enthusiastic about bringing the show back and is a really good sport so I can’t see him not coming back for at least a cameo. 

I do not want to know if there's a Sam cameo at all. I want to jump up and scream in glee if we catch just one second of him leaping in the season finale or something. I'm of the mind though that Sam didn't want to return. Because he can if he wants. Look at just this episode. Sam's *first leap* put Stratton in the position to save the crew. 

10 hours ago, Dani said:

Plus I would be shocked if we don’t get at least one episode soon where Addison is deemed to emotionally invested and benched briefly allowing others a spin as the hologram.

Again, I don't know how tight they want to be, but *only* Al could be the hologram. Him and Sam had brain surgery and implants installed. 

2 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

Just because they are both leapers doesn't mean they can see each other's actual self.

Actually, it does if they come into physical contact. Doesn't mean they have to actually come into that contact though. It would be cool for Ben to see the 'leap'!

• Love 1

So either, Bakula is lying about not being involved, the writers are dumb, or Ben's leap is about something else. I hope they have a good plan for that storyline.

I think it's likely Bakula will make an appearance if the show sticks around long enough. I'm sure he's game. There may not be any firm commitment in place but if the show gets a full season pickup I can easily see a season-ending cliff-hanger with a Bakula cameo. Just because he says he's not involved doesn't mean there haven't been talks.

• Like 4
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

They could have Ben meet Sam when Sam has leaped into someone else. Ben would be like everyone else and see Sam as the other person. We the audience would see Sam from Ben's point of view. Just because they are both leapers doesn't mean they can see each other's actual self. That's not to say I don't want Scott Bakula to appear (because I do), but that is a way they could have Sam appear even multiple times, each time being portrayed by different actors.

Except it was heavily implied in the finale that Sam is now leaping as himself and not into the bodies of other people.  It's probably a big reason why the project went dead because they had lost contact with him and there weren't people coming into the waiting room.

[Of course, it does bring into question how he knows what wrongs he needs to right without a look into the future and how he gets strangers to trust him but maybe we'll get those answers eventually.]

But I guess they could have Ben leap into a time period where it is known that Sam occupied someone else's body.

I do not want to know if there's a Sam cameo at all. I want to jump up and scream in glee if we catch just one second of him leaping in the season finale or something. I'm of the mind though that Sam didn't want to return. Because he can if he wants.

I agree that he can if he wants you.  That's why I didn't find the original coda to the finale depressing.  He never returned home but that finale served to give him agency that he didn't know he had.  It's something this project doesn't realize he has.  And it's something Ben probably has as well.  Once he realizes he likely has more agency, he'll have to make the decision if he wants to keep leaping or end it.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I just realized that maybe with this new code that maybe the 'within the lifetime' constraint might go away. 

12 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Except it was heavily implied in the finale that Sam is now leaping as himself and not into the bodies of other people.  It's probably a big reason why the project went dead because they had lost contact with him and there weren't people coming into the waiting room.

I'm not sure. He definitely leaped as himself to Beth at the end, but that could have been so Beth would know Sam when they 'met' again. The other leaper in the finale was also himself. It could be that Sam can choose based on what's needed. Unconsciously, I suppose. 

15 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Once he realizes he likely has more agency, he'll have to make the decision if he wants to keep leaping or end it.

What would be really interesting is if he does realize this, and chooses to leap home to let Addison become the leaper. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, Dani said:

Plus I would be shocked if we don’t get at least one episode soon where Addison is deemed to emotionally invested and benched briefly allowing others a spin as the hologram. It would be such a waste if they don’t give Ben more personalities to play off of. 

Yeah when you think Al's daughter was rejected from joining the project because of "emotional" attachments how much more so is having Ben's fiance involved now in the crucial role of the hologram.  And since she was suppose to have been the leaper why is she seen as "qualified" to be said hologram?

Not only can I NOT stand this character but the internal story reasons says she should not be there either.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Again, I don't know how tight they want to be, but *only* Al could be the hologram. Him and Sam had brain surgery and implants installed. 

Except that time Gooshie was the hologram and they were able to (sort of) sync his brain waves to Sam’s. Thirty years later and based on the unplanned jump makes me doubt they will stick to that limitation. 

2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I think it's likely Bakula will make an appearance if the show sticks around long enough. I'm sure he's game. There may not be any firm commitment in place but if the show gets a full season pickup I can easily see a season-ending cliff-hanger with a Bakula cameo. Just because he says he's not involved doesn't mean there haven't been talks.

Same. And I am sure they want it to be a shocking reveal and will work to hide it if/when it happens. 

1 hour ago, Skooma said:

And since she was suppose to have been the leaper why is she seen as "qualified" to be said hologram?

I think she was qualified to be the leaper because she had more knowledge and training to handle a variety of situations. Which would also make her the most qualified to guide Ben through a variety of situations. 

48 minutes ago, Dani said:

Except that time Gooshie was the hologram and they were able to (sort of) sync his brain waves to Sam’s.

That slipped my mind. When was it? I'm not saying that the show *has* to do this or that. I'm pointing out what happened before to see if the show might change or modify it. 

4 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Was that ever stated in the show itself?  I thought it was only in the tie-in novels.

2 hours ago, Skooma said:

Yeah when you think Al's daughter was rejected from joining the project because of "emotional" attachments...

Yeah, this part doesn't make any sense to me.  Even if the show justifies the Ben and Addison relationship by saying Janice was rejected due to her emotional attachment to Sam or her father, that still doesn't explain why Magic is on the team.  Not only did Sam leap into him, but Sam's brother Tom was his CO and he knew about Al from Operation Lazarus.  If he's allowed on the project with all those connections, I think there has to be something more going on with Janice.

• Love 2

That slipped my mind. When was it? I'm not saying that the show *has* to do this or that. I'm pointing out what happened before to see if the show might change or modify it. 

Killing’ Time when Al is chasing down the guy who escaped from the waiting room. Based on that episode anyone can be the hologram as long as their brain waves can be synced with Sam. 

3 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Does Magic know what happened to him though?

Good question.  I think the original was cagey about whether leapees remembered anything about the future, although I think there's one episode where the leapee told others they'd been kidnapped by aliens after they returned to their time.  But even if Magic doesn't remember the leap it would have been documented as part of the original project and he presumably would have access to those notes once the project restarted.

I dunno...I get why they wanted to use a character from one of the most popular episodes of the original show, but it's one of those things that I just can't think about too much because there's too many unanswered questions.  I'll have to wait and see if/how the show resolves them.

• Love 2

Whether he did remember or had some nagging memory that he finally chased down, I'd say he's in a good position to lead the project being directly affected and can argue its merits. He seemed to know Janis on a personal basis from their conversation too. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Whether he did remember or had some nagging memory that he finally chased down, I'd say he's in a good position to lead the project being directly affected and can argue its merits. He seemed to know Janis on a personal basis from their conversation too. 

Which again leads to the question of WHY Al's daughter was rejected because she had family ties to the project but the fiance gets to stay as the hologram and also Magic is allowed in.

• Love 1

Disagreement in the direction of the project? Maybe Magic wanted to open the project to do the good he experienced, but she was determined to just find Sam. Clearly, she was around enough to cultivate a relationship with Ben that he came to her to work on the new code. 

In this episode, we saw that Magic was running a tight ship and not really soliciting consensus. The phone call with Janis was contentious at best, so you could see that maybe they were at odds and he dismissed her. 

We should have a speculation without spoilers thread!