Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E15: Best of Enemies

jewel21
  • Start Topic

Dangit. I had money on the Mayor being Alien Tracker's son. Made sense to me, he's got some sort of Alien DNA or implant thing going. Still, seems like Ben's been abducted more than once. I figured that's why Max can see Harry and alien artifacts, some sort of inherited thing.  Could still be. More fun than the blinkin' resort plot.

Not happy they killed off the Alien Tracker. Am glad they released the "aliens" who mostly weren't aliens at all. I hope they don't leave too much hanging in the last episode for this season.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
15 minutes ago, Ms Lark said:

Dangit. I had money on the Mayor being Alien Tracker's son. Made sense to me, he's got some sort of Alien DNA or implant thing going. Still, seems like Ben's been abducted more than once. I figured that's why Max can see Harry and alien artifacts, some sort of inherited thing.  Could still be. More fun than the blinkin' resort plot.

Not happy they killed off the Alien Tracker. Am glad they released the "aliens" who mostly weren't aliens at all. I hope they don't leave too much hanging in the last episode for this season.

Yeah I figured Max got his ability through Ben being abducted but since Ben stayed in Patience all his life that confused me.  Maybe he is a "sleeper" alien about to be awakened.

This episode is what I wanted in the show.  Minus the Asta/D'arcy bonding endless fluff stuff.  But the rest was delightfully quirky and Harry had some of the best and funniest lines ever.  Loved that one of the prisoner "aliens" freed (well the General thought he was an "alien" anyway) was Weird Hair Guy from "Ancient Aliens."  That whole bit had me bent over laughing.  From we met at the convention where I ate your flowers to I'm not a huger to go straight that way and take a left at the dead bodies.  Haha.  Writers, much MUCH more of this and less of everything else please.

• Like 4
  • Applause 3
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, Ms Lark said:

I had money on the Mayor being Alien Tracker's son.

I thought so, too! I was absolutely certain that was where this episode was going! I thought they are finally tying together the townspeople stories and the alien stories! But then, no. They doubled down on the two having nothing to do with each other. The mayor was just stressed out. Why are the writers of this show so hellbent on this ridiculous two track premise-abandoning course?

Made sense to me, he's got some sort of Alien DNA or implant thing going. Still, seems like Ben's been abducted more than once. I figured that's why Max can see Harry and alien artifacts, some sort of inherited thing.  

Exactly! 

Could still be.

I hope you're right. If so, this is the worst pacing of any show ever. I've totally lost faith. They did name the town "Patience" though. But I've lost patience.

6 hours ago, Skooma said:

Yeah I figured Max got his ability through Ben being abducted but since Ben stayed in Patience all his life that confused me.  Maybe he is a "sleeper" alien about to be awakened.

Ben as a sleeper alien would explain so much. But it's just taken way too long if that's where they are going.

Maybe they think we will bond better with the characters if they're portrayed as very normal and not at all connected to the alien story, so that when they finally tie the two together it will have more impact. But I think it's a mistake. I don't mind the adoption story with Asta (it's a side of adoption that is rarely if ever shown so it's interesting) and I am fine with some character development for the locals. But the balance is off. Why are they spending so much time on the Sheriff's attraction to the woman from the neighboring town, for instance? It's not interesting. It's not developing his character. It's not doing anything other than fill time.

I do think that if the people of Patience are "sleeper aliens" that would explain some of the quirkiness. The Sheriff, for instance, has always been a bit off kilter. But Harry wound up in Patience by accident, so the show wasn't set up to make this likely unless they just plan to retcon everything, like they basically did with the time travel Harry/Goliath thing.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, possibilities said:

I do think that if the people of Patience are "sleeper aliens" that would explain some of the quirkiness. The Sheriff, for instance, has always been a bit off kilter. But Harry wound up in Patience by accident, so the show wasn't set up to make this likely unless they just plan to retcon everything, like they basically did with the time travel Harry/Goliath thing.

He's from D.C. though. He's one of the few characters that didn't grow up in Patience. 

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Love 3

It really does seem like like an awful waste of an actor like Terry O'Quinn to have killed off the Alien Tracker already. I would rather them have found that Ben was an alien and then taken him out (sorry, but he is so absolutely my least favorite character). This episode, as funny as parts were, didn't strengthen my wavering faith in this show one bit. 

• Love 4

This was my favorite episode of the season for the simple reason that the alien aspect of the show was more prominent that the other stories.  Don't care about the bonding over video games and snacks.  Don't care about Ben's car accident (I do care about real people but enjoy the luxury of not caring about fictional characters [just to clarify...]).  

Am looking forward to the interactions between Harry, baby alien, and rescued alien son of alien tracker.

• Like 3
  • Love 4

I have a hard time believing that Kate would phone Asta to tell her Ben had been in a car accident. What exactly was Asta supposed to do about it? The whole town showing up to check up on him was so schmaltzy. Sure, maybe if he was on death's door but all he had were a couple of scrapes. Calm down, everyone. They're taking this whole Patience=Mayberry thing too far. Even Aunt Bee would have been like "Hey I'm busy I've got a cake in the oven."

• Like 3
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

I have a hard time believing that Kate would phone Asta to tell her Ben had been in a car accident. What exactly was Asta supposed to do about it? The whole town showing up to check up on him was so schmaltzy. Sure, maybe if he was on death's door but all he had were a couple of scrapes. Calm down, everyone. They're taking this whole Patience=Mayberry thing too far. Even Aunt Bee would have been like "Hey I'm busy I've got a cake in the oven."

Well Harry was away so Asta was the most senior medical person in Patience was the reason I guess.  Otherwise he is in the total care of Snarky Nurse figuring out if he has internal injuries etc and who is way more interested in hinting Ben was drunk.  (Personally I'd rather leave Ben in the so-called "care" of Snarky Nurse any day).

I agree Hollywood writers always turn small towns into over the top stupid hicksvilles where people are all dumb and don't have computers, the internet, or even running water half the time.  I'm sick of it too.

Edited by Skooma
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Well Harry was away so Asta was the most senior medical person in Patience was the reason I guess. 

You know, I'd completely forgotten that Asta worked at the clinic. What is she anyway, a nurse? Nurse practitioner? They've been spending so much time on her relationships with her daughter, her father, her mother and D'Arcy I forgot she even had a job.

So yeah, I guess it makes sense for Kate to call Asta, but who the hell called the rest of the town and told them they needed to show up at the clinic?

• Like 2
44 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

You know, I'd completely forgotten that Asta worked at the clinic. What is she anyway, a nurse? Nurse practitioner? They've been spending so much time on her relationships with her daughter, her father, her mother and D'Arcy I forgot she even had a job.

So yeah, I guess it makes sense for Kate to call Asta, but who the hell called the rest of the town and told them they needed to show up at the clinic?

Yeah it is the Hollywood writing about small towns again.  Everyone is obviously  sitting out on their front porch in their rockers because who is inside surfing the web in the fly over lands.  So the news spreads swiftly amongst these simple folk through this small village where they all gather anytime anything happens at all like a lightning bug is spotted.

Edited by Skooma
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1

I agree that small towns are misrepresented on TV.

But we're talking about the mayor.

The mayor being in a car accident would be HOT gossip. EVERYONE would want to know about it.

The only people who showed up were the people he works with and the people who are friends with his wife. It wasn't the entire town. It's not that far-fetched.

The police who showed up at the accident scene already know.

Asta tells D'Arcy and her dad as she runs out the door.

Snarky Nurse at the clinic eavesdrops on the conversation between Ben and Kate about how he thinks no one likes him.

One of these people calls a friend to gasp about the news that the mayor was in a wreck, or goes to the tavern to have a drink and mentions it. They call or mention it to another. Most of them don't don't know whether it's serious or not, just that he was in a crash. A dozen friends and associates show up. 

It was definitely a TV/movie trope. But as tropes go, it's really not that far out.

• Like 3
  • Love 4

I loved all the Alien/Alien Tracker/Alien Baby parts. I skipped all the rest.
I felt sad that Pete was killed... was it his character? was  is that he was played by a great actor? dunno...but I cared for him. Too bad he is gone.
Linda Hamilton is amazing! 

Hopefully season finale will have at least  same analogy of Aliens vs the Rest. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
On 9/22/2022 at 10:19 PM, iMonrey said:

Kate didn't call Asta, Ellen did. The clinic had been backlogged since Harry went into hiding.

Edited by luvly
  • Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
On 9/22/2022 at 5:26 PM, seacliffsal said:

This was my favorite episode of the season for the simple reason that the alien aspect of the show was more prominent that the other stories.  Don't care about the bonding over video games and snacks.  Don't care about Ben's car accident (I do care about real people but enjoy the luxury of not caring about fictional characters [just to clarify...]).  

Am looking forward to the interactions between Harry, baby alien, and rescued alien son of alien tracker.

FYI the latter's name is Robert and he looks really out of it.  Yeah he chose rightly but he hasn't spoken a word yet.  He may well have trouble adapting.  They showed him in an earlier episode when he got caught and before we found out who he was but I forget what happened in that scene.

9 hours ago, luvly said:

Kate didn't call Asta, Ellen did. The clinic had been backlogged since Harry went into hiding 

There is an Ellen in the show?  I know some strange woman popped up suddenly out of nowhere but apparently is suppose to be a local and is/was the lawyer in the anti-resort movement.  Is that Ellen?  Or did you mean Snarky Nurse aka Helen?  At least I keep thinking her name as Helen.  Or is it Ellen?  Nice to know which though I'm still going with Snarky Nurse.

Well next week is the end of the season.  Bummer.  But I did have a hard time finding a download of this episode last week since it is now on opposite The Amazing Race.  My life in a nutshell.  My oldest favorite show and my newest favorite show are broadcast at the same time and no way can I afford all those endless streaming services.  So hurray for the old fashion torrents method though I had to re-school myself for that.

Edited by Skooma
1 hour ago, Skooma said:

I know some strange woman popped up suddenly out of nowhere but apparently is suppose to be a local and is/was the lawyer in the anti-resort movement.

That's Kayla. She's Asta's cousin and she lives on the reservation. We met her early in the first season and she pops up every once in a while.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Skooma said:

But I did have a hard time finding a download of this episode last week since it is now on opposite The Amazing Race.  My life in a nutshell.  My oldest favorite show and my newest favorite show are broadcast at the same time and no way can I afford all those endless streaming services.  So hurray for the old fashion torrents method though I had to re-school myself for that.

If you have cable or satellite (which apparently you do, if you can watch this in the first place), there's usually a way to watch network shows if you sign in with your provider credentials.  I don't always last till 11pm, so I normally watch this one on the NBC app on my smart tv (or on a firestick).  Or probably on the SyFy website?

16 hours ago, Skooma said:

There is an Ellen in the show?  I know some strange woman popped up suddenly out of nowhere but apparently is suppose to be a local and is/was the lawyer in the anti-resort movement.  Is that Ellen?  Or did you mean Snarky Nurse aka Helen?  At least I keep thinking her name as Helen.  Or is it Ellen?  Nice to know which though I'm still going with Snarky Nurse.

I oscillate between calling her Deadpan Nurse and Snarky Nurse in my head too, so I get it lol. But yeah, that's Ellen. I only know for sure because I watch with the captions on.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

After this episode it seemed to me that they are setting up the grays as the ones who will build the resort (no spoilers-just the continued mention of the grays combined with me trying to justify all of the other stories they have going on in which I'm not interested but in which I do know that the mayor's wife has dropped her opposition to the resort because the mayor was injured...).

1 hour ago, seacliffsal said:

After this episode it seemed to me that they are setting up the grays as the ones who will build the resort (no spoilers-just the continued mention of the grays combined with me trying to justify all of the other stories they have going on in which I'm not interested but in which I do know that the mayor's wife has dropped her opposition to the resort because the mayor was injured...).

But then Mayor Ben in this episode dropped his support for the resort after he had his life flash in front of his eyes in the accident and "realized" suddenly how important a pristine Patience is to him.  So hopefully the resort will not still be a thing.  Of course if the shady NY corporation is involved in the resort stuff maybe we still can't stop the damn subplot either. 

So, D'Arcy went from being prescribed painkillers to abusing painkillers to being in recovery from painkillers in the space of about 3 episodes? What was the point of that? It's as stupid as the fake pregnancy storyline with the mayor's wife.

• Like 3
  • Love 4
On 9/22/2022 at 5:31 AM, Ms Lark said:

Dangit. I had money on the Mayor being Alien Tracker's son

Hub and I thought the exact same thing - especially with the sudden intro of his sleepwalking issue.  But, in the 28 years ago flashback, Pete and his wife were celebrating their son's 2nd birthday so that would make him 30 present day.  I think Ben may be older than 30, but the fact that Max can see AlienHarry does have it make sense 

This was a great episode - lots and lots of alien stuff which is the hingepin of this show.  I could've done without all the Asta/Darcy (really - why is her name spelled D'arcy?) and her overstaying her welcome at Dan's house.  And Dan using Asta's speech about enabling Darcy as a segue to tell Asta it's time for her to get out on her own was just bad timing.  And...no more Judy.  She's annoying and not funny.  Gross, awkward, humor

LOL to AlienHarry and baby alien bonding to the E.T.  themesong 'Heartlight'.  

I love Linda Hamilton too, but man - it's hard to see how rough she's aged.  Just watched Terminator Dark Fate last week which was only made 3 years ago, but she didn't look as haggard.  And the enunciation of her lines sound a little over-acting.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, ctlady said:

I love Linda Hamilton too, but man - it's hard to see how rough she's aged.

You mean how naturally she's aged. We are so spoiled from all those Hollywood people "aging" "gracefully" (lol)...

• Applause 5
  • Love 6
25 minutes ago, Zaffy said:

You mean how naturally she's aged. We are so spoiled from all those Hollywood people "aging" "gracefully" (lol)...

Unfortunately, no - I do mean rough, but that won't make me not want to see her in another Terminator movie!  I understand the industry, drugs, alcohol, divorce, hot lights, stress, etc add to it.  My mom died at 87 with barely a wrinkle on her face (she wasn't a sun worshipper)

• Like 1
On 9/23/2022 at 2:28 PM, possibilities said:

The only people who showed up were the people he works with and the people who are friends with his wife. It wasn't the entire town. It's not that far-fetched.

I don't know - the last aerial shot looked like a whole boatload of people were walking in.

• Like 3
9 hours ago, Zaffy said:

8 hours ago, ctlady said:

Unfortunately, no - I do mean rough, but that won't make me not want to see her in another Terminator movie!  I understand the industry, drugs, alcohol, divorce, hot lights, stress, etc add to it.  My mom died at 87 with barely a wrinkle on her face (she wasn't a sun worshipper)

I don’t have any insider information and I haven’t sought out recent photos of her, but I’m inclined to believe that the way she looks in this role on this show is the way she’s meant to look in this role in the show. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

I think it's weird to see that many people showing up to visit someone in a hospital - in a post-Covid world, there is no hospital in the US that would allow that.

Pre-covid, it was limited for the ICU.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, cls said:

I have what may be a dumb question, but did all of the people at the base see Harry as an alien? Because up until now, only Max and the tracker could see that form.

Only Max and the Tracker could see him as an alien when he was "masking" as Harry. When he's in his natural alien form, everyone can see he's an alien.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

'Terry O'Quinn and Linda Hamilton were so great

"Anybody can find just one alien"

And just the indignant look on his face "No, not anyone. Do you have an alien?" 

"I'm not saying" 

"That's a no" 

"Fine" 

"You don't have one and I do" 

"OK" 

"Good, glad that we agree."

• Like 1
  • Love 4