Type keyword(s) to search

Motive - General Discussion

David T. Cole
  • Start Topic

On April 20, 2015 at 0:36 PM, shapeshifter said:

If he hadn't been so nice to the frightened person on the airplane, he wouldn't have had a psycho-stalker. It's not like he ever dated her. And if his fiancee had not been previously cheated on, the friend probably would have trusted him. I guess the real question is: Does the coverup indicate he really wasn't just a great guy until that moment?

Yeah, I think that's what it's about. We knew going in that he was the killer, the scenes they showed us made him seem creepy, but once we saw the whole picture, the reality was that he was a nice guy, who scrambled into a coverup because he was (rightly) afraid that his fiancé wouldn't believe him. I mean, looking back, wow, the friend was a total bitch to him for no reason. 

• Love 1
On April 23, 2015 at 10:03 PM, NorthstarATL said:

I love the basics of the series, figuring out how "killer" and "victim" are connected, but I've never invested any effort into following the lives of the investigators, so the continuing case is throwing me off because I have no real interest in it.

i actually like the peek we get at the investigators' lives (looking forward to Vega and the ME who used to be on All My Children. And someone please remind me what's ailing Vega. I know it must be something major, but I can't recall the particulars), but I really hate this continuing case. They tried it a few years ago on Without a Trace, and I hated it then, as well. Totally  disrupts the flow of the case of the week. 

So here's the rule of thumb for procedurals: only one case a week, but okay for relationship arcs for the characters. 

What the heck is it the USA schedule and erratic encore showings. The first couple of epi's this season on USA were encored and shown several days week. Now it seems they are missing weeks and it's shown one night week if lucky.

I would find it helpful if they added a chyron on the flashbacks to show the timeline. It's hard for me to tell sometimes when it's present day or flashback. I guess it's intentional to create more mystery. I'd like the ongoing Montgomery case more if Victor Garber was in more than one episode. 

11 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

Motive is still airing on Sunday nights.

shapeshifter, is posting about the episodes airing in Canada.  For some odd reason they have split up the season.

8 hours ago, Trey said:

shapeshifter, is posting about the episodes airing in Canada.  For some odd reason they have split up the season.

If the execs motive was to confuse me, they have succeeded. Heh.

• Love 1

I  didn't understand  how Ken (the main victim) found out who robbed him and then went and killed them. 

He found the imprint of the license plate of the car that rear-ended him and had it traced. Although I found it rather ridiculous that Brian came up with that theory so quickly.

How come they didn't identify all three people as "VICTIM" in the opening?

I thought I recognized the actor playing Rick right off, but couldn't believe how much he'd aged. But then the credits confirmed it. Charles Martin Smith was one of the stars of "American Graffiti."

American Grafitti was 43 years ago!

Well, now you're just trying to make ME feel old! OK-- I AM old -- I remember seeing "Graffiti" (in a theater, not on video) right around my 21st birthday.

Oh no! They blew up the '84 Hurst/Olds! You bastards!! Montgomery must die!!

As much as I like this kinda quirky show, it seems to have acquired a "Big Bad" like so many shows these days. At least Montgomery is more of a bon vivant than, say, William Lewis on SVU.

Terry The Toad was just a goofy dork in American Graffiti, but Smith played a convincing miserable bastard as Rick. I was 23 when Graffiti was released; get off my lawn!

So here in the US, I just saw this episode tonight.  They never mentioned it was a season finale.   This really wrapped up the Neville Montgomery plot.  It seemed like a season finale but there were previews for next week.

On 6/19/2016 at 11:12 PM, chitowngirl said:

Yay! It looks like USA is airing season 4 right away starting the week after season 3 concludes .

I'm very glad to hear this.  I was confused when I read that tonight's episode was the season 3 finale and yet there were previews for next week.  yay is right!

Yes, starting next week Season 4 will be airing in Canada and on USA Network. As of now the schedule is:

• Sundays on USA Network - Season 4, episode 1 is on July 3rd
  • Tuesdays on (whatever Canadian channel airs it) - Season 4, episode 7 is on July 5th
  • Love 1

Double ick on Maria being engaged to her own half-brother. I really wish there had been a mention that they hadn't slept together but even if I assume they haven't they must have at least kissed. I wonder if the writers came up with the paternity twist after the episode where London was killed and so were stuck with the engagement. 

It was a good episode and a bit of a shock to me to see the killer and victim together in the same shot and in the first scene (I think it was the first scene?). They usually separate the reveals but makes sense since this is wrapping up an ongoing story. 

On 6/26/2016 at 11:41 PM, SierraMist said:

So here in the US, I just saw this episode tonight.  They never mentioned it was a season finale.   This really wrapped up the Neville Montgomery plot.  It seemed like a season finale but there were previews for next week.

It felt very "season finale" ish to me (closing of the Neville Montgomery arc, but opening up potential for future stories re: Oscar's recovery and his relationship with Betty; ramifications of Cross' involvement in the IA case...), but they were doing adverts for the next episode. Maybe USA network is diving right into Season 4.

Damn, the hair! I didn't know she cut it, I kind of let out a little yelp when Angie got out of the car in her opening shot.

PS: I miss her old POS Oldsmobile. I noticed her appreciation of the dead (asshole) cop's car.

• Love 1

I don't hate it.  She looked so dated with her old hair....now she looks funky fresh, lol.

I assume Mark was promoted?  He clearly left on good terms if he's leaving bourbon for Vega.

I love Vega and Angie, and how now that he's in the office she's just going in there to hang out.   What did she mean by saying she would rather have him as her boss than not having him at all?  Because of the cancer I assume?  Sounds like they got it by removing the tumor...thus winning the 'cancer lottery'.   I already hate that guy.  How about a girl rookie?  Need some diversity around here!

Napoleon was in no way justified in killing his brother, yet I'm so glad he did.   Dick indeed.

20 hours ago, basiltherat said:

Her haircut looks just like the one on the female lead in Murder in the First (I don't watch the show, but I remember the commercials).

Thank you! I've been having memory issues lately because of medical treatments and thought maybe I had confused the two female leads.

Heads up for US viewers-- my DVR is set to record only "NEW" episodes of "Motive." For some reason, this episode (airing on USA network, Sunday 7/10/16) is not marked as new in my cable guide, so it was not shown as a scheduled recording. I had to go in and manually set the recording. You might want to check if you're a DVR-er, too. 

In Canada, it showed as a "new" program but with the date of 2014.  And when I searched for new programs the other day, nothing came up.  Confusing.

Thanks to everyone here, for keeping us up to date.

I looked up the cast list, but it didn't list the actress who plays the mom of Josh.  She looks very familiar.

• Love 1

I couldn't find her name either; yes, she did look familiar.  They really do get some good guest stars.

I wasn't sure of the time line; how long ago was Nancy killed and her brother convicted?  I didn't think it was all that long ago so the mother should have still had lots of options to appeal her sons conviction before she felt the need to strap herself into a  bomb  and take hostages.

9 hours ago, bannana said:

I looked up the cast list, but it didn't list the actress who plays the mom of Josh.  She looks very familiar.

1 hour ago, Trey said:

I couldn't find her name either; yes, she did look familiar.  They really do get some good guest stars.

She is Christina Cox, who I remember from the 2009 scifi series Defying Gravity.

• Love 2

I was shocked at her hair when I first saw it, but it sort of grew on me. 

This show has a lot of sad resolutions.  And it always seems to me that the episodes end very abruptly after solving the crime.

That new guy is beyond annoying.  I think they've gone overboard on making him so.

14 hours ago, SierraMist said:

That new guy is beyond annoying. I think they've gone overboard on making him so.

I don't care whose son he is, that stank attitude would never fly IRL. I have to assume a redemption arc is forthcoming, but right now his presence ruins every scene he's in.

• Love 1

It seems to be a new trope: the goofy (or inept, crooked, etc.) offspring of someone higher up in the chain of command.
I think Angie misses her Hurst/Olds, I could see her rocking the Chevelle she was drooling over.
Angie looks quite a bit like a younger version of a woman I know and I could picture both of them with the new hair.

(edited)
On 4/28/2016 at 6:11 PM, Trey said:

Tracy's friends at least should have picked up on it since they would have known of the two boys' sickness.

They established early in the episode that Tracy didn't have any close friends, only her online readers (who she presumably didn't mention the first kid to). Probably a deliberate choice on her part.

Edited by TheOtherOne
  • Love 1

I don't get the point of Kennicki. Why bother introduce him for only two episodes, only to ditch him? Did they just realize the character wasn't working? Was the actress playing the new detective not available at the start of the season and he always intended to be a placeholder until she could start? It's just so weird to bother with him for two episodes.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 7/6/2016 at 9:04 AM, Trey said:

I wasn't sure of the time line; how long ago was Nancy killed and her brother convicted?  I didn't think it was all that long ago so the mother should have still had lots of options to appeal her sons conviction before she felt the need to strap herself into a  bomb  and take hostages.

Angie said the murder/confession were six months ago. So yeah, it seemed like as soon as the mother got back into the country, she strapped on the bomb and marched to the police station. Too impatient for appeals, I guess.

I have to admit, I didn't feel as bad for the victim as I suspect I should have. The whole time she was sticking her nose into the teacher's business, I kept thinking, "Girl, you are stupid. You are a teenager. You're never going to be able to break that story in the school paper, even if it were your business, which I'm doubtful it is." So when he killed her, I kind of just shrugged. The wife and unborn kid, them I'll feel bad for, not inept Nancy Drew.

eta: While I didn't miss Angie's son, I did like the ending and it was kind of nice to see him one more time before the show ends. Glad to see this is the kind of show that doesn't forget details about the characters' lives like that.

Edited by TheOtherOne
  • Love 1

I really do not like Kennecki.

As soon as Avery appeared on screen I knew she was transgender. Then I spent the rest of the episode wondering if that had something to do with the story so it really took me out of it.

• Love 1

I must not have been paying close enough attention, because I didn't detect any chemistry between Angie and the Interpol agent, so the ending came out of nowhere. In retrospect, all the little moments they spent getting to know each other made sense, I guess, at least in terms of what the writer was building toward.

Given what the girl screamed when they found her, I couldn't decide if she was a true believer who'd bought into the cause or if he'd just brainwashed her.

Between Vega getting chewed out at the beginning and Lucas being shady, I spent most of the episode wondering if the season and series was going to end with both of them getting fired. After the end, Vega seems safe, but this still seems like it could end badly for everyone.

I really do not like Kennecki.

I do, as a character!  He adds comic value, I think.  Not all detectives are brilliant and know what they are doing.  He is a great foil for Angie, and I'd love for her to teach him.  I like how he was chowing down goodies at the bakery.  Yum.