Type keyword(s) to search

Motive - General Discussion

David T. Cole
  • Start Topic

33 minutes ago, MoreCoffeePlease said:

I do, as a character!  He adds comic value, I think.  Not all detectives are brilliant and know what they are doing.  He is a great foil for Angie, and I'd love for her to teach him.  I like how he was chowing down goodies at the bakery.  Yum.

Yeah, but Kennecki so far doesn't seem willing to learn and wants to do his own thing. What part of "come watch this interview" could possibly mean, "butt in and ask inappropriate questions that make an otherwise cooperating witness lawyer up"?

• Love 1

I told Mrs. Torqy early on that Avery and Courtney had been in a relationship before Avery's transition, but I thought Courtney was the blackmailer. Nice touch having an actual transgender actor play a transgender character. (Learned that from IMDB)
Inept!Detective scarfing up samples in the bakery made me laugh, I'd probably do the same thing (no social graces).

A season of rotating detectives could be interesting. At least I got the satisfaction of seeing the annoying Kennecki get canned. I like Mazur's talk to-the-hand attitude so far. No nonsense, indeed.

• Love 1

Good episode, albeit quite sad. It's been a while since they did one where both the killer and victim were sympathetic (maybe since the suicide one in Season 2?) so that was a nice change of pace. Cool murder, but yeah, sad story all around.

One thing I'm starting to appreciate is how unpredictable the ongoing stories are so far this season. I really have no idea where they're going or what's going to happen next. They introduce an annoying new detective, then ditch him after two episodes. Introduce a new detective...and now she hasn't been seen for two episodes. Lucas is setting himself up for trouble by creating a false witness...then Vega gets him out of it. It looks like Betty's attacker might go free...and then he's convicted. Vega gets in trouble with the chief for talking to a reporter, then she's happy with him again, then she's mad at him again! Flynn has a one-night stand with an Interpol agent who's only in town for a case...but now he's staying! And she's not happy about it...but maybe she is?

Four episodes left and I have no idea what's next. And that's pretty cool. I just hope the witness thing doesn't come back to bite Lucas in the ass and Vega doesn't get fired in the end. I want happy endings for everyone.

• Love 3
On 5/4/2015 at 11:29 AM, Trey said:

I don't think Nika was nearly as drunk as the rape victim when she put her in the cab; plus, but it was her really bad attitude when her friend told her she'd been raped that got her killed.

I don't feel sorry for the killer at all.  She had a choice, her life wasn't threatened, she was just upset because her friend chose her boss over her.  Saying that Nika's actions got her killed, to me, is like saying a woman gets raped because of what she was wearing.  Nika's friend was psycho, end of story.

19 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

I don't feel sorry for the killer at all.  She had a choice, her life wasn't threatened, she was just upset because her friend chose her boss over her.  Saying that Nika's actions got her killed, to me, is like saying a woman gets raped because of what she was wearing.  Nika's friend was psycho, end of story.

You make an excellent point.  I certainly didn't think she deserved to be killed any more than rape victims deserve or ask to be raped. But the fact is,  her attitude enraged the rape victim to the point that she killed Nika. 

Yeah, I totally picked up on the previous relationship vibe, but until they found out about Courtney being a widow, I couldn't figure out why she'd want to kill Avery. I hadn't even considered the insurance fraud that would have been revealed by Avery coming out with the truth. I also really like how supportive Avery's husband was about the transgender issue; he totally made it all about what Avery felt was right in terms of how much she wanted to reveal about her past and such. I appreciated the even-handedness of the transgender topic- it wasn't sensationalized, but the police were very careful about how and to whom they spoke about it.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Trey said:

You make an excellent point.  I certainly didn't think she deserved to be killed any more than rape victims deserve or ask to be raped. But the fact is,  her attitude enraged the rape victim to the point that she killed Nika. 

I don't think her attitude had anything to do with it, it was because the friend herself was needy and childish.  An adult woman might have smacked her friend, told her to fuck off and throw her shit out of the apartment, but never murder. 

I love Angie and the Scottish Interpol agent together!

Was it just a coincidence that Dave Briggs Jr. went to that particular antique store? Or was he actually on the trail of his father's killer? If it was a coincidence, it was a gigantic one.

On July 20, 2016 at 10:51 AM, Trey said:

I love Angie and the Scottish Interpol agent together!

Was it just a coincidence that Dave Briggs Jr. went to that particular antique store? Or was he actually on the trail of his father's killer? If it was a coincidence, it was a gigantic one.

Briggs Jr. was on the trail of his father's killer, but whether he found his way to the killer's store accidentally or on purpose wasn't clear to me. I guess accidental, but that seems like a very unrealistic coincidence.

• Love 1

One of the things I like about this show is that the ME is played by someone who, I can believe could be an ME, meaning she's a woman in her forties/fifties.  Not only that but there are men interested in her.  Sometimes I think too many showrunners can't wrap their tiny brains around the fact that a woman can be attractive, sexy and desirable after the age of twenty-five. 

• Love 4
(edited)

Not a bad episode, but a little too straightforward to be much more than that. Everything seemed fairly clear from the beginning, with no real suspense or twists. I guess the fact that the mother knew and wanted to die was intended to be a twist...except, eh. Not that surprising.

Poor Vega. That was actually pretty decent of the IA guy to reveal that he was there on the orders of the higher ups, making it clear they (or just the chief/captain/whatever) was out for him. At least this way he can choose his own future instead of having them decide it for him.

Edited by TheOtherOne
  • Love 1

I agree, it didn't have all the twists we expect, but it was still good.

If Jessica and her mother had only really communicated with each other! Even the fake daughter seemed to be a good person at heart.  The baddies were the kidnapping father and the crooked detective.

At least it wasn't a premeditated murder and Jessica did think fake Chloe was going to murder her mother so it was somewhat understandable.   Of course, as we all  know, killing is never the answer - on this show, anyhow.

• Love 1

I wonder if they purposely cast as fake Chloe someone who didn't look like the sister or the mother, IMO. I should have figured out sooner that Chloe wasn't really Chloe--especially after the PI tossed aside the files Jessica gave him.

It seemed like the Mom didn't bother to think about Jessica finding out Chloe was fake whenever Jessica finally asked about the inherited illness--or are we supposed to assume Jessica didn't know Chloe had it too? Seems unlikely.

Anyway, It's always good to see Ian Tracey.

• Love 1

I love the show (usually) but I thought the plot of the week was extremely contrived.  I like it better when the victim and killer are connected, just not in the way you think. This one felt clunky to me.      

Wow, that was actually a pretty good twist. Maybe I should have seen it coming, but I was so squicked out by that moment when Armstrong started kissing Rachel and then climbed on top of her, plus annoyed by the heavy-handedness of the religious fanaticism, that I completely fell for the misdirection. It seemed like such the typical religious-conservatives-are-crazy-hypocrites thing that cop dramas and mystery shows do a lot that I was didn't pick up on the hints (if there were any?) or think it was anything more than it appeared to be. Love it when a twist makes the plot more interesting. You got me, show.

And the actual murder, with the mace to the head. Damn. Very effective and well-executed (er, so to speak).

Vega quitting and Flynn considering leaving is really giving the show a sense of finality in these final episodes. I'm actually finding it pretty sad.

• Love 7

Vega's had it rough, Thryoid cancer, covering for Lucas' witness intimidation, and now dealing with that absurd defender that got him fired. I was under the impression that a defense attorney would be ecstatic that the police would be releasing their defendant. Did he want him to go to prison for a crime he didn't commit? I fully understand that Angie and Oscar shouldn't have heard it and acted on it. How is a conviction a win/win when you're the defense attorney and your client is not guilty of murder? What am I missing here? Have we heard that name of the big shot lawyer who called the Chief, thus getting Vega fired?

Oh yeah, squick.....

• Love 1
4 hours ago, DrScottie said:

Oh yeah, squick.....

Definitely.  I had not seen the "incest" coming, just thought he was a control freak, so I was actually glad Rachel was his wife, not his daughter.

Did Vega get fired or did he quit before he could get fired?  I thought the IA man had given him enough time to resign. What a crappy lawyer!  I hope he is still going to be in the last two episodes.

I just love Jack Stoker.  Angie certainly appears to be tempted to join Interpol to be nearer him.

And the actual murder, with the mace to the head. Damn. Very effective and well-executed (er, so to speak).

And all the people (historians?) wanting to see the wounds because no one has been killed by a mace in hundreds of years.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Trey said:

Did Vega get fired or did he quit before he could get fired?  I thought the IA man had given him enough time to resign. What a crappy lawyer!  I hope he is still going to be in the last two episodes.

He did. As he cleared out his desk, it does seem that Vega resigned before he was to be fired formally at the IA interview the next day.  What I meant was that the action of that lawyer got him in the situation effectively got him fired. I still don't get why someone who is overworked as a conscripted public defender would be upset when their client is freed.

• Love 1
52 minutes ago, DrScottie said:

I still don't get why someone who is overworked as a conscripted public defender would be upset when their client is freed.

I don't see why he would be upset either.  He was angry that Vega overheard a privileged conversation (even though it was by accident) and angrier still that Vega called him out on being a really crappy lawyer. But he really seemed determined that his client should confess even though he wasn't guilty.

I see my post that you quoted needs to be edited - it's Vega that I hope is still going to be in the last two episodes, not the crappy lawyer:)

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Trey said:

Definitely.  I had not seen the "incest" coming, just thought he was a control freak, so I was actually glad Rachel was his wife, not his daughter.

I just love Jack Stoker.  Angie certainly appears to be tempted to join Interpol to be nearer him.

And all the people (historians?) wanting to see the wounds because no one has been killed by a mace in hundreds of years.

This episode might have been edited a bit if it was shot before "Brexit." Jack won't find it as easy to pop over to Paris anymore, right?

I got the impression that Vega felt free to send the innocent suspect to a better lawyer and even pick up the tab because he had already decided in the previous episode that he was quitting to serve others in a more tangible way. I think Vega's action in this episode was analagous to my own act many years ago when, after locking the front door so my unemployed husband couldn't stumble in at 3am, I turned on the light in the bedroom to see a very large hairy spider on the wall over the bed. Catching the spider for me was like I imagine Vega's actions were with the innocent suspect. Imagine the difference if I had unlocked the door and waited on the couch for my husband to deal with the spider. Of course, the spider would have likely moved on by then, just as Vega saw this as a chance to do something that fit with his decision and which would likely never be possible to do again.

I too was relieved that he was a bigamist rather than an incestuous parent--but still! I guess the clue was maybe when they held hands at dinner in the beginning.

• Love 2

Not exactly "In the Media" since I haven't seen anything posted anywhere, even on their facebook page, but there are no new episodes for three weeks, back on Aug. 23.  This is according to Wikipedia.  If anyone finds out anything different, please post.

This is Season 4 in Canada I am talking about.

• Love 1
On 7/11/2016 at 8:16 PM, TheOtherOne said:

I have to admit, I didn't feel as bad for the victim as I suspect I should have. The whole time she was sticking her nose into the teacher's business, I kept thinking, "Girl, you are stupid. You are a teenager. You're never going to be able to break that story in the school paper, even if it were your business, which I'm doubtful it is." So when he killed her, I kind of just shrugged.

In addition to being a snoop, the character was snotty and condescending, so it was hard for me to work up any sympathy.

I enjoyed the episode a lot, with the team all working together. I never felt any real jeopardy for Angie, not just because she's one of the leads but because the bomb woman didn't come off as menacing in any way.

• Love 1

Considering Whitney did everybody a huge favor by accidentally killing the leader of a terrorist cell, I hope they let her off light with a nice Accidental Manslaughter charge and some probation. Seriously, there could've been some massive damage done if it hadn't been for her. Bet the sister will see more jail time than she does.

Really good episode. Love that the show keeps finding new twists. I was shocked to realize the show was almost over and it looked like the killer was going to get away with it. And as much as I know I probably shouldn't, I really wanted her to. (Although I guess I shouldn't count on that lasting...)

Glad Vega finally appeared. And even Kennicki was redeemed--something else I never saw coming!

Nice that the Lucas-witness plot ended up having some kind of payoff, even if I don't know how I feel about him going to Internal.

This has been a really well-constructed season, IMO, in a refreshingly different way than the usual season-long arc method. Next week looks really good. I'm going to miss this show.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, TheOtherOne said:

Really good episode. Love that the show keeps finding new twists. I was shocked to realize the show was almost over and it looked like the killer was going to get away with it. And as much as I know I probably shouldn't, I really wanted her to. (Although I guess I shouldn't count on that lasting...)

She covered her tracks very well. They couldn't prove she set the bomb in the grill and she covered up all the evidence at the Auto Shop and Meredith's (minus the cat of course). How did she know how to so thoroughly clean the crime scenes? Usually that's how the culprit gets caught. Given the reprehensible actions of the victims abusing and destroying people's lives (especially Meredith's) in exchange for kickbacks, I totally get that we'd want her get away with it and it certainly helps that she was never really a suspect as she had no apparent motive.  

They never made the connection between the two. How exactly does an 8 year old Meredith take care of a 7 year old Lexi? Lexi said my Mom, not our Mom. Was she an orphan/foster child Meredith's family took in? I get that the landlord was oblivious, but nobody ever saw Lexi stop by? I'm sure we'll find out more next week particular considering what was in the preview for next week. 

5 hours ago, TheOtherOne said:

Glad Vega finally appeared. And even Kennicki was redeemed--something else I never saw coming!

Yeah, Kennicki was a solid arson investigator. Glad he found a good place for himself.

Vega retired, Lucas is going to IA and Angie is likely going to Paris. They are wrapping things up nicely. I hate it when shows leave on loose ends and I'm glad that seems not to be happening here. 

Does anyone remember the girl from the preview that Angie met 3 years ago in Season 1?

Edited by DrScottie
  • Love 1

The whole episode, Mrs. Torqy and I were trying to figure out where we had seen Christina Cox (thanks @shapeshifter!) Turns out, on many previous shows!
Is it just me, or did they reveal the connection between victim and killer kinda early in this episode? Sometimes it is not tied up until the end. It took me a while to figure out that BombWoman's murdered daughter was the blond student.
Usually, the victim is not sympathetic and the killer is, but in this plot both were kinda creepy. Did anyone see money being put in the "affair jar?"

• Love 1

Does anyone remember the girl from the preview that Angie met 3 years ago in Season 1?

Minor spoiler I guess?

Spoiler

I'd have to rewatch it, but I thought Lexi was the girl in the preview, and assumed they were doing a time jump--so the next episode will be three years later after Angie's stint in Paris and having met her three years ago was a reference to this episode. I could be wrong though.

Edited by TheOtherOne
  • Love 2

That's what I thought too. 

Spoiler

Angie didn't want to go to Paris with an unsolved case but Vega told her that it would still be there when she got back.  So, yes, a time jump of three years.  I hope she still has her Scottish Interpol agent boyfriend:).

19 hours ago, TheOtherOne said:

Minor spoiler I guess?

Reveal hidden contents

I'd have to rewatch it, but I thought Lexi was the girl in the preview, and assumed they were doing a time jump--so the next episode will be three years later after Angie's stint in Paris and having met her three years ago was a reference to this episode. I could be wrong though.

I know I've seen that same plotline before, where a judge sends young people to a reform camp for kickbacks, but I can't remember what show. 

Edited by Trey
32 minutes ago, Trey said:

Reveal hidden contents

Angie didn't want to go to Paris with an unsolved case but Vega told her that it would still be there when she got back.  So, yes, a time jump of three years.  I hope she still has her Scottish Interpol agent boyfriend:).

I know I've seen that same plotline before, where a judge sends young people to a reform camp for kickbacks, but I can't remember what show. 

Me too! Maybe a Law & Order, but I'm thinking another show too. But this is probably the only one where the kickbacks were to pay for a fancy love nest — or not?

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Trey said:

Reveal hidden contents

Cold Case and Law and Order SVU both had episodes like that.

Edited by briochetwist
  • Love 2

It actually happened in the late 2000s in Pennsylvania--the Kids for Cash scandal. As soon as it happened, a bunch of shows did the usual ripped-from-the-headlines episodes. I remember the SVU one--Swoosie Kurtz was the evil judge (in a performance that wasn't exactly subtle).

Edited by TheOtherOne
  • Love 2

One of the most satisfying finales I've seen for a procedural. The right amount of character focus and mystery. Nice to see how everyone turned out--Paula and Kennicki, Lucas married again (though I guess I wasn't invested enough to remember whoever it was he married, unless it was someone never mentioned before), Betty and Oscar, Manny--while still leaving the future open for their lives and stories to continue. At the same time, the case and cast of one-time characters were well-developed and memorable.

Yeah, yeah, murder is wrong, but I still wanted Lexi to get away with it, right up until the point where she stabbed Angie, and probably even after that. Angie's stupidity was the sole off-note for me. Getting into the face of someone you believe is guilty of at least three murders when you're unarmed and have no backup? So, so stupid. In a show that often had sympathetic killers and unsympathetic victims, Lexi--multiple murders and all--was a very fitting final killer.

I really liked this show. The characters. The actors. The Canadian-ness of it all (I could have sworn they made it explicit long before this, but maybe it just seemed so much more obvious than other shows. At the very least it didn't seem like they were trying to hide it). The mysteries. Probably one of my favorite procedurals ever. It was just so likeable, in a way that made it more endearing than other shows of its type. I'm going to miss it.

Edited by TheOtherOne
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, TheOtherOne said:

The Canadian-ness of it all (I could have sworn they made it explicit long before this, but maybe it just seemed so much more obvious than other shows. At the very least it didn't seem like they were trying to hide it).

You mean police procedurals don't need shootouts and suspects getting beaten up during interrogations in every episode? How refreshing and positively Canadian of them. 

When it aired in the US, ABC tried to obscure it being a Canadian show. For example, ABC removed Vancouver from the opening shot in this episode from Season 1. Of course, some of the dialogue with students going off to university as opposed to college for instance gave it away for some people. 

Driver's licenses, Angie outright introducing herself as Canadian tonight, school in Ontario, these are quite blatant. As if it's the worst thing in the world that the show is from our closest ally. 

Lexi might have gotten away with it if it weren't for that darn cat!

motive US and Canada shurnk copy.jpg

Edited by DrScottie
Realigned the photo
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, DrScottie said:

You mean police procedurals don't need shootouts and suspects getting beaten up during interrogations in every episode? How refreshing and positively Canadian of them.

Heh. Yeah, that too. But even without the caption, it always seemed perfectly clear where the show was taking place. In addition to the examples you gave, all the establishing shots were obviously Vancouver, and while it wasn't true for the American actors imported in as guest stars, there were enough local ones whose accents were more obviously Canadian. Unlike a lot of shows trying to be a generic "any city" to appeal to American viewers, this one felt more recognizably Canadian--Vancouver as itself, rather than trying to pretend to be somewhere else--which gave it a more distinctive feel. And I liked that a lot.

• Love 1

I'm enjoying Angie and Scottish Interpol agent too.  I think they're well matched.  

This is such a well written series, but the actors have a lot to do with how much I like it.  Is there going to be another season, or is this it?  

42 minutes ago, SierraMist said:

I'm enjoying Angie and Scottish Interpol agent too.  I think they're well matched.  

This is such a well written series, but the actors have a lot to do with how much I like it.  Is there going to be another season, or is this it?  

This is it.  Series finale aired just last night.