Type keyword(s) to search

Motive - General Discussion

David T. Cole
  • Start Topic

I think she must have done but I didn't see it happen.

I missed a few minutes here and there due to a nasty stomach bug; and, when I asked Mr.Trey, he was terribly confused about who was who (he was recovering from the stomach bug and not quite catching everything). 

Anyhow, unless I really did miss the scene, I assumed Courtney went over to the house and killed Gary the Blackmailer when he opened the door but it wasn't shown.  Our detectives had already figured out that Gary was the blackmailer and went over there too but just too late.

• Love 1

USA finally gets the airing! (The country AND the network)

Victor Garber was a pretty despicable here and I was not surprised to see that the killer didn't survive the episode.

Something a little different this week. 

Goodbye Kennecki.  Hello Paula Mazur.  I wonder if we'll be having a parade of different detectives for the rest of the season.

So often I sympathize with the killer but this time I did not.  That was a pretty nasty death he devised for Chris, plus he was causing so many potential deaths by spreading the virus, knowing full well he was doing it.

And Angie has a spiffy new car.

• Love 3

I have always admired the locations that they shoot at, the sense of a definite "place" although the city isn't named. The outdoor scenes (mountains, harbors AND woodland!) and the houses (grand and airy, or craftsman-like with the sex trader's home ((although having to climb stairs UP to street level screams flood zone to me))). I also love the cut-aways and morphs.

It's Vancouver, they've said they work for the Vancouver Police Department. With the mostly mountainous regions, houses that are built below the street level don't have flood problems because water will continue to flow down the mountain in heavy rain.

I don't understand why they can't move Angie's desk back so it doesn't get hit by the door. I looked, there were storage boxes behind her that they could totally move.

I have always admired the locations that they shoot at, the sense of a definite "place" although the city isn't named. The outdoor scenes (mountains, harbors AND woodland!) and the houses (grand and airy, or craftsman-like with the sex trader's home ((although having to climb stairs UP to street level screams flood zone to me))). I also love the cut-aways and morphs.

It's Vancouver, they've said they work for the Vancouver Police Department. With the mostly mountainous regions, houses that are built below the street level don't have flood problems because water will continue to flow down the mountain in heavy rain.

Vancouver is a beautiful city. Mrs. Torqy fell in love with the place when we visited 10 years ago.

I love Canadian TV shows for the most part, including Motive, but was a little surprised that Ally Sheedy and Bonnie Somerville were both cast in this, considering CanCon rules.

Pretty rough characters, although it's always nice to see Tahmoh Penikett, aka Helo from BSG (here as Vince).

So the daughter is not going to college; she's going to prison--although they didn't mention it. Sheesh. I find it hard to believe they (The Art Institute of Chicago, I guess) accepted her without figuring out the funding, even if it involved loans, along with scholarships and grants. Well, to be fair to the writers, Illinois budget stalemate has stripped MAP grants, leading to institutional closures, but not The Art Institute--more like Chicago State (low-income students). But I don't even think MAP grants are for out of state students anyway.

Or did I miss something and Sadie was somehow not guilty of theft, etc.?

So if the dad had hired DJs, they could have all lived happily ever after?

• Love 1

So if the dad had hired DJs, they could have all lived happily ever after?

That was definitely the impression I got:)

It was nice to see Will Sasso in a dramatic role.  I've always liked him.

I was pretty sure from the start that Hank was going to kill Vince because of his daughter but it didn't play out the way I expected.  I felt bad that it turned out Sadie was really Vince's daughter.  If he hadn't tried to cover up the killing I think it would have been manslaughter, not murder.  They never learn.

I was surprised but pleased to see Sgt. Mark Cross back again.  I had been disappointed that he wasn't back as  their staff sergeant.  By the end of last season I felt he had redeemed himself enough that he could go out with Angie again - and now they are going out for dinner at least.  I liked her giving him the rock as a gift.

The bartender was very cute.

• Love 1

Rory was in this? That was a surprise. I'm glad I hadn't spoiled myself by reading the threads beforehand. Also had Kellogg from Continuum.

Little bit of change in the format, we didn't have a homicide until the episode was almost half over.

I laughed every single time someone whacked Angie's desk with the door.

• Love 1
Trey, on 30 Mar 2015 - 11:21 AM, said:

...I believe we've lost the rookie who had a crush on Lucas.  Or is she still around and I just haven't noticed?...

Again, I'm not totally sure, but I think in the previous episode they said she was somewhere else now. But that might have just been my brain fanwanking a line I didn't really hear.

In the second or third episode, Lucas was going over some paperwork, I think with Cross, who made some offhand comment about dating coworkers being a bad idea. And Lucas replied that he agreed or already knew that or something. I can't remember, but I took the exchange to mean that his dalliance with the rookie cop had ended badly.

• Love 1

Very interesting twists; maybe the best of the series (in terms of twists).

The plot made excellent use of the newest team member and Angie's not quite resolved uncertainties about her.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 3

Pretty karmic when the psychiatrist was attacked after all the harm he had done to be with that woman. I'm guessing the partner's "secret" is that the marriage she's getting out of is to woman, as these were likely written before the Supremes ruled that marriage has nothing to do with gender, and most shows were pushing gay marriages as "edgy" or whatever.

• Love 3

Yes, lots of interesting twists and the episode was different in that the killer and victim didn't have any history together. 

I'm glad Paula was proved to be right but they were certainly making her look like a crazy, single-minded copper.

I miss Vega and Angie working together - apparently Angie does too:)

• Love 4

I'm guessing the partner's "secret" is that the marriage she's getting out of is to woman, as these were likely written before the Supremes ruled that marriage has nothing to do with gender, and most shows were pushing gay marriages as "edgy" or whatever.

This show is Canadian, gay marriage has been legal for over a decade here, nothing edgy here.

• Love 2

I'm glad Paula was proved to be right but they were certainly making her look like a crazy, single-minded copper.

Yeah, good for her or whatever, but I'm still not crazy about her. I hope they phase her out soon.

• Love 1

I liked this one ... lots of misdirect with who Aidan was to her. I did pick up on the possibility of Munchausen by Proxy as soon as they mentioned undiagnosed illness though, but I've probably come into contact with info about it more than the average person.

I did think the actor playing the father was really odd - his affect just didn't seem right for an abducted kid at all. I'm not sure what kind of acting choices were being made there, but his character was creepy rather than distraught.

• Love 3

I thought this was a very good episode.

I agree, the father was odd, more angry at the police than upset about his wife being killed and his son being abducted.

As soon as we found out the murder victim was also the fiancee of Aiden's dad I thought of Munchausen by Proxy, but by then probably everyone else did too:). For some reason, the girl's death by Munchausen by Proxy in The Sixth Sense really stuck with me.

And now we know what Paula's secret is.

But I wonder what Lucas is up to with regard to the attack on Betty. Looks like he's setting up some fake evidence.

• Love 1

It seems a stretch that the first kid was ill for years and eventually died, and the doctors couldn't figure out what the cause was?  It only took Dr. Betty a short while.  I know crap like this happens, but I'm just saying.  And then when the second kid gets the same thing, what?  Hadn't any of them seen The Sixth Sense?

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, Netfoot said:

It seems a stretch that the first kid was ill for years and eventually died, and the doctors couldn't figure out what the cause was?  It only took Dr. Betty a short while.  I know crap like this happens, but I'm just saying.  And then when the second kid gets the same thing, what?  Hadn't any of them seen The Sixth Sense?

Tracy's friends at least should have picked up on it since they would have known of the two boys' sickness.  Otherwise the boys and their families probably never crossed paths.

I see that Alicia Witt really is a concert pianist and does her own piano playing on shows.

• Love 1

Flynn and Vega butt heads over their approach to solving a case involving a high-school student's death. Meanwhile, things get personal between Lucas and Sung.

Thanks for this website!  I had no idea this show was even renewed and am surprised to see that we are only on S3 in the US, but hey, better than nothing.  And now I know that there is a S4 coming.  Also do not remember at all why Angie had left the department/taken leave or whatever.  I just like the cases, not so much the personal stuff.

• Love 1

Episode 7 hasn't aired yet. Motive is on hiatus with Person of Interest taking over its Tuesday slot. Motive should return after most of the shows have had their finales on a new night or time.

• Love 1

I thought the show had been cancelled, too! Now I have a few episodes to catch up on. I may also need to rewatch some of season 2 because, as others have said, I don't remember many of the details.

But this has always been a light, interesting puzzle show for me, not something I dwell on. I like Angie and Oscar and that's enough.

Thanks, ppl. I didn't know it was on hiatus.  I had been catching it at 7 pm Eastern time from an east coast station but PoI was on instead - which was fine too since I also watch that show.  Just thought I would have to wait until Saturday to see Motive but apparently not.

It sure is difficult to find any information about the scheduling of the show.

8 hours ago, Trey said:

Thanks, ppl. I didn't know it was on hiatus.  I had been catching it at 7 pm Eastern time from an east coast station but PoI was on instead - which was fine too since I also watch that show.  Just thought I would have to wait until Saturday to see Motive but apparently not.

It sure is difficult to find any information about the scheduling of the show.

Maybe it will air on Saturday; that's what it says here (I think): http://www.returndates.com/news.php?id=661

Someone on the IMDb board said it would have a 13 week hiatus because of POI, but the poster didn't cite a source, and may have just been extrapolating from the number of POI episodes in the can.

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Maybe it will air on Saturday; that's what it says here (I think): http://www.returndates.com/news.php?id=661

Someone on the IMDb board said it would have a 13 week hiatus because of POI, but the poster didn't cite a source, and may have just been extrapolating from the number of POI episodes in the can.

That would be a long hiatus.  I do know that PoI is going to be airing 2 episodes per week, for at least the next few weeks. It would be fine with me if they just moved Motive to Saturday night; that's a better fit for me.  I know that really isn't a premier night for shows but it's not like they are really looking for new viewers since this is its last season.

Motive has had a Saturday slot for as long as I can remember and they only use it for repeats. They would never use it for new episodes. If you go to the CTV Motive web page, they do not have a 'Next Episode Airing' listed on the side like other shows do.

I would be really surprised if Motive is sidelined until PoI is over. Most likely Motive will be reshuffled somewhere and we'll get new episodes by late May.

• Love 1

I guess we'll find out this Saturday.  I have checked the listings on Saturday and it has shown the current episode but I haven't actually watched it.

I also laughed every time the desk was banged, I think it was Angie's expressions.

I really wish the season long case wasn't introduced (at least I don't recall that being a part of past seasons), I'm just not interested.  Poor Rory Gilmore, HDTV is not kind to her skin.  I guess I'm still in disbelief that she's in her mid-thirties.  Fun fact, Rory is older now than Lorelei was when Gilmore Girls started.

I will never understand why this show isn't more popular.

I'm just catching up with this show in OnDemand (had no idea I was a season behind), but boy did this story need a lot more backstory. Why did they kidnap her? Was he a controlling jerk because he was afraid he would be found out he kidnapped his daughter or was he just like that? Where the bio parents still together? I feel like we only got 1/2 the story.

Thanks for the update, shapeshifter.  It seems an odd thing to do to the show.  They've always aired it straight through before.

• Love 1