Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E99: Matchmaking in San Diego

• Start Topic

An exclusive behind-the-scenes look at the intense matchmaking process as the experts search for five new couples from San Diego to get Married at First Sight.  After a series of in-depth interviews and tough eliminations, the final ten singles are surprised with the news that they'll be marrying a stranger in just two weeks.

Airs Wednesday June 22 at 8:00PM EDT.

Flipped by just now. Saw Cal and Pepper on a beach, clothed, thankfully. Stayed for a peak at four of their singles. LOL! See ya after the weddings! Maybe. It’s gotten to the point where two minutes predicts where they’ll go off the rails!

• Love 2

So far, the only one I give a side eye to is Stacia, who said she asks a guy his credit score on the first date.   No wonder she's still single.

I don't have an opinion on the rest of these people yet.

See y'all at the weddings!  

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

I find myself comparing these new people to the previous people---Oh, he's a Chris or she's a Merla.....I trust that none of these people are who they claim to be in these interviews.  I am looking for the lies, the exaggerations, the hidden stuff, because we have learned that from past seasons.  Most of the women look controlling and the men look ill-equipped to be in a serious relationship.  Prove me wrong, Pepper and Cal!

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7

I think Mitch, Miguel and Justin are ready for marriage.  Not so much for Nate and Binh.  Binh reminds me of Johnny and not in just looks. 
I’m not that sure about the women as I’m didn’t get a feel for them yet… except for Stacia who reminds me of Myrla in her attitude toward money and I didn’t care for Myrla.  

• Love 5
(edited)

So much positivity here - LOL!   These seem like more normal to me than last season’s couples.  Seemed like so many indoor gloomies last time.  The resumes look promising.  Agree about Stacia.  Time will tell. 

im so glad last season is history.  

Edited by Ms.C.
Syntax
  • Like 1
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, azprimadonna said:

I find myself comparing these new people to the previous people---Oh, he's a Chris or she's a Merla.....I trust that none of these people are who they claim to be in these interviews.  I am looking for the lies, the exaggerations, the hidden stuff, because we have learned that from past seasons.  Most of the women look controlling and the men look ill-equipped to be in a serious relationship.  Prove me wrong, Pepper and Cal!

One of the ladies reminds me of Lindsay from last season. Another reminds me of Michaela from Texas. Soo... yeah... not good.

The really tall guy seemed so awesome! Lol, he better not disappoint me.

• Like 1
  • Love 5
(edited)

Well, I watched with one half on one eye, so I missed a lot. Red flags to the guy with the loooooong list of physical appearance must-haves. I liked the nerd guy--Miguel?--until they showed him in a furry costume. Oh boy no. The woman they matched up with the surfer (?) had quite an emphatic way of talking, which reminded me of Lindsey, so I squinted my one half of one eye.

Had to laugh when Dr. Peps was concentrating so hard on one person's dealbreakers. Maybe she's gonna actually listen this year?!! Sure. "You asked for a cowboy millionaire with a mullet, so here's a bald opera singing pauper. Happy marriage!"

Edit: Wait, there were five couples? I can only halfway remember four. 

Edited by kikicat
MAFS has ruined my brain
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5
(edited)
7 hours ago, kikicat said:

I hope we noticed the same lady because I can't deal with two more Lindsays.

Maybe there was a hidden Lindsey in the woodwork.  Taped this as I wasn’t interested for the first time.  I was watching “Southern Charm” re-runs.  I don’t believe this show anymore or the Experts.  It’s done for drama.  Ho hum.  The cast looks older than usual.  I’m not thrilled at all.  I’m still wondering why Cal and Pepper are looking in their closets and underwear drawers.  That is disgusting.  Besides, the people went out and bought new and sexy stuff already.  Duh!     I don’t get why Pepper and Cal look so proud of themselves.  They did poorly last season .. one out of five?  Even the one looks shakey.  Bet Noi is gone by now too.  If there is something better in this time slot, I’m out.  I’m getting annoyed already watching Pepper and Cal trying too hard to sell these people to us.  They’ve been there, done that.

Edited by kristen111
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

This new season is back to back with last season. 

I’d like a little more recovery time!

They are talking too much and too long about each person.  It was too soon for another go around.  I’m not interested.

• Love 5
13 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

So far, the only one I give a side eye to is Stacia, who said she asks a guy his credit score on the first date.

Haven’t watched this and probably won’t (I’ll wait for the weddings) but yikes. Your first date’s credit score is none of your business.

• Love 6

Contrary to popular opinion, I rather enjoy Dr. Pepper and Pastor Cal. I don't for one second think they have a lot to do with who actually gets cast on the show, but I was entertained by them all the same. 

I always like the couples before we actually start to see how they are. And this episode continued the practice of showing the participants interacting with their film crews. Maybe we'll get some secret footage a la the Boston.2 season. 

The men seem okay, and most of the women seemed genuine. 

Next week's episode, with the predictions by so-called experts on the show I can do without.  Do we know if they will continue the after show with Keisha?

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
20 minutes ago, cardigirl said:

Contrary to popular opinion, I rather enjoy Dr. Pepper and Pastor Cal. I don't for one second think they have a lot to do with who actually gets cast on the show, but I was entertained by them all the same. 

I don’t DISlike Dr. Pepper and I like Pastor Cal. I don’t think they have anything to do with casting; I think they match people from a pool chosen by production.

• Like 2
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1
(edited)

FUNNIEST moment of the episode was when PC said, "She told me who she was, someone who is not ready to be married." 😂😂😂😂

Edited by Lindz
  • LOL 4

Nate was SUPERFICIAL AS HELL & he's hard to look at! I can't believe they picked him! Stacia seems cold like Jas. I can't see them making it. Miguel doesn't give "masculine" vibes. At. All. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

Binh reminds me of Johnny and not in just looks. 

At least he's got some muscles & isn't scrawny like him. You think he'll have a love affair bromance with Miguel? 😂😂

• Wink 1
  • Love 1
56 minutes ago, Lindz said:

At least he's got some muscles & isn't scrawny like him. You think he'll have a love affair bromance with Miguel? 😂😂

Hmmm.   I think he will actually behave poorly towards his wife, but I think he’s more likely to have a bromance  with one or the 3 males other than Miguel.  I don’t think Miguel is athletic enough for him.  
I think Morgan likes  athletic  endeavors, but she’s probably too curvy for Binh.   

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

I think Morgan likes  athletic  endeavors, but she’s probably too curvy for Binh.  

I don't think Morgan will ever be "accepted" by Binh's family as not being from his ethnic community and that will torpedo their marriage EVEN if they keep the relationship going for a few episodes.

Also, I don't think Stacia and her match will be a "go" because he doesn't have the social status I believe she wants in a mate.  He's too scrawny and she will overpower him with her superior attitude and financial position (regardless of what she said).

I didn't watch any of last season because NONE of the matches interested me in the least; however, I think I'll give this season a try as I find some of the people they're matching interesting and accomplished.

• Love 4

It's sad to watch a man be part bald. Very sad. I wonder who told him to shave it all off. 😅 That other black girl's hair was so bad! All those gaps! Oh my! 😱😱

Screenshot_20220623-093306~2.png

• Sad 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Crashcourse said:

Just going by last night's episode, my hunch is that the only couple that makes it past Decision Day is Krysten and Mitch.  

I was thinking the same thing.

• Like 1

WHERE were all the good looking people??? I guess they were smart enough not to apply or were too superficial & disinterested in being married. 😅😂 Did they say only 1200 people applied?!! Other seasons have had thousands & thousands!!! The interviews were only the first 10 minutes of the episode, yet it's pretty much the same. I wanna see exes & family interviewed. I wanna hear about who they are in relationships. That's what matters. All of their words don't matter. You'd think they would've learned that by now. I wonder if they compare applicants to previous participants. 🤔

• Love 4

I really didn't want to hear that bride ugly crying. Especially as an intro. And Miss Intimidating apparently said MAFS might be the worst decision of her life & she never thought she'd be married. I hope that's the extent of her negativity & not foreshadowing. I can't stand the negativity & I'll never understand people actually saying bad thoughts & putting them out into the universe. 😒😒

• Love 2
(edited)

Gotta love them not saying anything about Viv not being there. 😅 It's messed up. No show ever addresses a missing host. 😒 The "experts" love sneaking up on participants too much. They're lucky they haven't been struck...yet. Was Justin seriously getting emotional because he thought he was rejected? Maybe he hasn't watched the show. If he had, he should know the "experts" only show up to let people know they're getting married. Could you imagine being rejected to your face AND on TV??? 😅 It's the FIRST episode & they're already showing producers interacting with participants. That can't be good.

Edited by Lindz
  • Love 1
32 minutes ago, Lindz said:

Gotta love them not saying anything about Viv not being there. 😅 It's messed up. No show ever addresses a missing host. 😒

Did I miss something after giving up on last season? Where is she & what (if anything) happened.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
42 minutes ago, Lindz said:

The "experts" love sneaking up on participants too much. They're lucky they haven't been struck...yet. Was Justin seriously getting emotional because he thought he was rejected? Maybe he hasn't the show. If he had, he should know the "experts" only show up to let people know they're getting married. Could you imagine being rejected to your face AND on TV??? 😅 It's the FIRST episode & they're already showing producers interacting with participants. That can't be good.

I like seeing the producers talk to the participants.  😈 

I don't think the participants were surprised at all (film crews there, hello?). They may not have known what Pastor Cal or Dr. Pepper were going to tell them for certain, but what we saw on camera was in no way a surprise that the experts were there. Just acting. 🤣

The camera crews were not hidden inside the apartments/homes and popped out when the doorbell rang. 

Edited by cardigirl
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

If I were one of the guys getting married to either Lindy, Krysten, Morgan or Alexis, I would just go ahead and file for divorce right now.  The screaming, the tears, the pressured speech, the over the top reactions---living with that on a constant basis sounds more like a life sentence than the promise of a life filled with happiness.   

So many emojis--I think having one additional emoji that was added to the previous ones we had that merely means "disagree" would work for me.

Edited by rebel2u
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
(edited)
56 minutes ago, rebel2u said:

If I were one of the guys getting married to either Lindy, Krysten, Morgan or Alexis, I would just go ahead and file for divorce right now.  The screaming, the tears, the pressured speech, the over the top reactions---living with that on a constant basis sounds more like a life sentence than the promise of a life filled with happiness. 

She might not scream or cry, but I'd add Stacia to that list.   I do hope Krysten is calmer though.

Edited by Crashcourse
  • Love 2

Although I think Mitch seems really nice, it would take a really specific woman to marry someone who stated every decision he makes is based on its environmental impact.  There may be related expectations for which someone is not prepared.

Didn't like Nate and his lists at all (and he seems to be a bit fame hungry as he films his day-trading and other activities).  However, I don't think Stacia is really that open to being married to someone who doesn't fit her expectations.  Maybe they were paired together because they both seem to be specific about the attractiveness of their mates.

Every match just seems like a disaster.  So, having said that, I am so in for the season!

• Applause 2
  • Love 5
On 6/23/2022 at 10:46 AM, cardigirl said:

They do a decent job as hosts, I agree. Pastor Cal's views are too conservative for me. Other than that, they're kind of OK, and even funny at times. I would love to know more about the behind-the-scenes reality of their "matchmaking".

My initial opinions of the cast, however, are not to be trusted. I thought I'd like Alyssa. Yes, I really did. Based that off her being a horse girl, but still. 🤪

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Already I see mismatches and I don't even think there's much hope for Lindy and Mitch either.

Right off the bat I at least one person in each couple not finding their match attractive.  Nate and Justin:  What were they thinking?  Ugh.  I'm trying not to be shallow but there were a lot better looking guys in that room full of applicants than these two.  And their personalities don't seem to make up for it either, nor do they look like they will have good chemistry with their matches.   I feel like they will end in epic disaster.

These "experts" don't know how to read between the lines with these people.  They buy the BS on the surface and think they're all ready for marriage.  I'm not seeing it.  These people are all set in their ways and marriage is just another check box on the YOLO  bucket list of life because they've been there and done that with everything and are bored.  That doesn't make someone ready for marriage!  They're all too into themselves or naive and clueless about relationships to be ready for marriage.  They talk a good line of crap but most of them are just parrots who know how to say the right thing all the time.  They are shallow and immature down deep and too into themselves.  So what if they value family and career, like that alone makes a good match?  It just shows how they are not being matched on other equally as important points.  

I actually thought they should have matched Mitch with the other woman in spite of her not liking bald men.  Just something about the energy and what they had in common.  When they shouldn't listen to someone they listen to them!  It's maddening!  I would say I don't like bald men either but I might make an exception for Mitch.  Pepper and Cal act like they just love this stuff, but it's all for show, nothing about it is real.  Obviously these couples were already matched by the time they were visiting them at home.  They didn't just happen to narrow the field down that much before matching them.  This show thinks the audience is stupid and it's really starting to feel insulting.

Also, the ages of the participants is getting older all the time.  Personally I'm getting tired of everyone being from that one generation.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

WHERE are the important questions? It's like they just let them type whatever BS, not that they wouldn't recite that same BS to their faces. So dive deeper, ask what will happen if you don't mean what you said? The marriage will probably fail & how do you feel about that? They keep it too surface. They need to know if they're over ALL of their exes, if they don't like their spouse's looks, will they quit, how they want their marriage to look day-to-day, their expectations of their spouse, how they plan on building their marriage, what they will do if they have a problem with their spouse, etc... IMPORTANT STUFF!!! 😂😂

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
10 minutes ago, Retired at last said:

They did that with Myrla and Gil and look how that turned out!

Yeah but just from the little I learned about that woman she had a lot more in common with Mitch than Myrla did with Gil.  They matched Myrla and Gil on surface similarities but not other more important factors such as lifestyle and temperament.  Plus there was that little somethin' somethin' about the other woman that made me think she would be more simpatico with Mitch and because of that she would be able to get over the baldness thing.  Myrla was an obvious stick in the mud about things and they should have seen that about her.  She wanted what she wanted and that's that, plus her and Gil were opposed on many of the more important issues.  Just my hunch, but to be a good matchmaker you have to have good gut instinct.  These experts or whoever is really doing the matching on this show do NOT.  That's why Pepper now thinks she won't make that mistake twice about the baldness.  Well, it depends on the person they match them with and how rigid the person is about stuff like that.  But Pepper has no clue on how to assess those things.  She's too busy focusing on frivolous things like the women's underwear drawers.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Crashcourse said:

I was glad they didn't pick the math teacher who didn't like bald men for Mitch.  There was something off putting about her.  

I don't think the one they picked is any better for him and it looked like they settled on her because she was the only other choice they were given.  It came across like the first one would be their first pick but darn, she doesn't like bald men.  Yeah, but maybe if they are a GREAT match that wouldn't be a deal breaker.  I don't think they probably asked her enough questions to make that call to be honest.  They should ask, "If we found you a fantastic match but he just happened to be bald, would you still be against it?"  If it were that big of a deal they should have ruled her out for him before this point.

BTW, I think there's a something a little off-putting about Mitch, too.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

I didn't have an issue with her not liking bald* men.  There was something that seemed kind of frenetic about her, like she could be too much for Mitch to deal with. 

*I don't like gleaming, completely bald heads either.  However, I don't mind balding heads like Mitch's, where they guy is just losing his hair but didn't just shave it all off.     

• Like 1
  • Love 1

My problem with this is that every year, these people think that they are giving Santa a list of what they want and if it isn't on their list, they get upset that they didn't get what they asked for.  I haven't started watching this season yet, but, so far, it sounds like the same old thing. People who have not been successful in finding relationships thinking that they should "get" what they asked for and nothing less (or more). The pool of selections is limited by the fact that all of these people want to be reality TV stars, and if maybe they get a spouse, that's fine. But, especially the last few years, I don't think that is the goal. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Love 2

Even though I watch this show, it's just dumb entertainment for me, because I think the premise is stupid.  If you want certain qualities in someone, and if that person doesn't possess such qualities and it's a dealbreaker, I don't see a problem with that.  The issue I have with people who go on this show is if they're serious about finding a mate, they should trust their own instincts and judgment instead of some relationship "experts."   

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, Retired at last said:

My problem with this is that every year, these people think that they are giving Santa a list of what they want and if it isn't on their list, they get upset that they didn't get what they asked for.  I haven't started watching this season yet, but, so far, it sounds like the same old thing. People who have not been successful in finding relationships thinking that they should "get" what they asked for and nothing less (or more). The pool of selections is limited by the fact that all of these people want to be reality TV stars, and if maybe they get a spouse, that's fine. But, especially the last few years, I don't think that is the goal. 

At this point in the show's history I believe the original premise of a couple finding "enduring love" that lasts a lifetime with all its challenges and pitfalls, AKA "marriage" is essentially kaput!

It's simply a reality TV franchise that's around to milk advertiser $$$$'s and provide a willing audience with what is essentially a "soap opera."

For the cast members, they can build a social media presence that, apparently, can be monetized and for the producers (who now get "camera time"), it provides a career enhancement they can put on their resumes.

As all my favorite reality TV shows are on hiatus for the summer (true crime shows), I'll give this MAFS season a whirl just for amusement; however, I'm not expecting any results that could possibly be described as a life-long marriage.

• Like 6
52 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

Even though I watch this show, it's just dumb entertainment for me, because I think the premise is stupid.  If you want certain qualities in someone, and if that person doesn't possess such qualities and it's a dealbreaker, I don't see a problem with that.  The issue I have with people who go on this show is if they're serious about finding a mate, they should trust their own instincts and judgment instead of some relationship "experts."   

It's been a long time since it was doing what it set out to do originally & the reason I prefer the Aussie version is that at least they don't pretend to be something they're not.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

My initial opinions of the cast, however, are not to be trusted. I thought I'd like Alyssa. Yes, I really did. Based that off her being a horse girl, but still. 🤪

She rescues dogs (she says she rescues dogs, anyway) - I wanted to LOVE her. 

• Like 1