Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Girl Meets Maya's Mother

When Maya’s artwork is featured at a school event, Riley sees it as an opportunity to help Maya mend her relationship with her mother. Meanwhile, Cory and Topanga get a surprise visit from their childhood friend Minkus.

Another teacher guys!

A politically incorrect one who notices what Lucas looks like!

And I guess this proves that Corey's class isn't the only one Riley simply decides to stand up in and take over with her issues.  If this wasn't a Disney show, I'd suggest a drinking game based on that.

• Love 4

And I guess this proves that Corey's class isn't the only one Riley simply decides to stand up in and take over with her issues.  If this wasn't a Disney show, I'd suggest a drinking game based on that.

Ok, let's use ice cream instead of liquor then.

Sugar highs and brain freeze here we come!

Yep.

Saw the preview and wondered if anyone has ever put her in check. Seriously? -_- You'd figure she'd get some of those issues taken care of at home, not at school.

Uggh, seriously!

Yea it's like every time they take a step forward, they take two steps back in regards to dialogue.

I want to see who's been writing these eps... to see if I can find a pattern. 

Woot!

Just found out who they are:

Michael Jacobs -- He seems to be ok for the most part.

April Kelly -- So does she.

Link to the rest of the cast and crew

Checked the rest of the writers and they seem alright too.

It's odd... can't find the writers for the other eps, the not so good ones.

I really dislike Riley. She annoys the heck out of me.

As per the pattern, Maya once again stole the show. Maybe she should be the main character.

I did like Minkus, Cory, and Topanga. I'd like to see Minkus recur, as he's the best thing about having Farkle around.

• Love 1

So far I don't mind Farkle. Cory and Topanga have done well, given certain things.

Still working on watching the episode (I hate to say that about any show, but this one is a wee bit of a slog, given some of the dialogue).

This episode kind of earned a total pass after "Your mom's hips don't lie!", let alone Minkus.  But Riley trying and, more importantly, failing to fix Maya's relationship with her mother (for the moment at least) might be the first time this show's truly gotten its tonal shifts right.

• Love 1

I thought this was the best episode so far. It was cheesy, but it made me smile and I think that's the point.

Riley also learned a difficult, yet more subtle lesson. Maya's mom not showing up was a dose of the real world for Riley. She can't fix it all. Nit pick, but I would have preferred if Maya's mom missed things because she's a hourly employee and maybe she can't always find someone to cover her shifts. Single mom working as a waitress and living in NYC, I would think she could use some overtime pay too.

Maya is great. I like Riley too, but Maya is definitely the MVP for me.

This episode definitely made me smile too! And there were some genuinely funny parts as well. I absolutely loved seeing Minkus come back and seeing the competitive spirit between him and Topanga after all these years. Corey seemed more in character in this episode and less unnatural. The family scenes in their home were cute and more organic, and Auggie is adorable but maybe too over-the-top. 

Okay, on to the bad...I cannot stand seeing Riley waltzing in and out of the classroom as she pleases! And seeing Corey doing nothing is equally annoying. It's one thing to have the main characters talk in the middle of class...that happened a lot on BMW and I've learned to accept it finally...but the getting up and leaving all the time is just too much.  And finally...I agree that there is a weird pattern of the writing in the show being inconsistent. I believe in this episode they said both "the world" and "the universe". Sheesh!

Surprisingly I really really enjoyed this episode.  Firstly, I thought this was the funniest episode we've gotten yet, by a good amount.  The only gag I really hated was the final one (because it was such a stereotypical "Disney Channel gag"). 

Secondly, they didn't overplay Minkus or Farkle. Grats.

Thirdly, they actually really surprised me by having some restraint with the Maya's mother storyline.  They didn't go for the obvious happy-happy joy-joy ending, they went for a more complex resolution, and gained some major respect from me for that.

It's time for a paint fight!

http://previously.tv/girl-meets-world/art-class-and-tuna-melts/"> Read the story

The best part of the paint fight?  Was Sabrina Carpenter "breaking"... and they left it in.

No doubt the actual explanation is that it was mega-time consuming to reset that scene, and that little mid-scene giggle might have been the best they managed after several takes, but nevertheless I found it charming.

Well Sabrina clearly DID break, but using real paint would have meant hours to reset. Clearly they judged the giggle (despite it being completely at odds with Maya being furious with Riley) as too small an error to bother.

Again, it's not a complaint. I liked it.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

Finished watching it:

I didn't mind most of it, but a little bit was a wee bit too cheesy (the one with Corey and Topanga at home). They played it well enough, but I was cringing during it. 

Really liked seeing Minkus again, and seeing the art teacher was cool too. It's nice to see another teacher.

Cory, Topanga and Minkus still interact well together. It was a joy seeing all of them in this episode.

I thought the ending was well handled. Riley had to learn that not everything turns out the way you want them to.

Finished watching it:

I didn't mind most of it, but a little bit was a wee bit too cheesy (the one with Corey and Topanga at home). They played it well enough, but I was cringing during it. 

Really liked seeing Minkus again, and seeing the art teacher was cool too. It's nice to see another teacher.

Cory, Topanga and Minkus still interact well together. It was a joy seeing all of them in this episode.

I thought the ending was well handled. Riley had to learn that not everything turns out the way you want them to.

I enjoyed that first interaction at home--it was pretty broad comedy, so I didn't take it too seriously.

The only cringing I did was the final bit with the little kid.  I was rolling my eyes at the Disney Channelness of the whole sequence.  "Cheesy" would be FAR too nice a word for it.

I enjoyed that first interaction at home--it was pretty broad comedy, so I didn't take it too seriously.

The only cringing I did was the final bit with the little kid.  I was rolling my eyes at the Disney Channelness of the whole sequence.  "Cheesy" would be FAR too nice a word for it.

Yea it was. And to be fair, it was like parents who embarrass their kids :p.

Yea that was out there.  I wonder if it was meant to represent his inner self?

Easily the best episode of the season. This is the first time that I felt that Riley was the main character.  I enjoyed that first family scene and how over the top it was. Maya is an interesting character and the actress who plays her pulls it off well.  I liked the scenes with Maya's mother but having the kids asking why the mother was in a waitress uniform? How old are these kids? Was that just to force drama into the scene?

Easily the best episode of the season. This is the first time that I felt that Riley was the main character.  I enjoyed that first family scene and how over the top it was. Maya is an interesting character and the actress who plays her pulls it off well.  I liked the scenes with Maya's mother but having the kids asking why the mother was in a waitress uniform? How old are these kids? Was that just to force drama into the scene?

I was ok with them asking about the uniform after she told her wild story. Her crazy story made it possible for them to think that she was playing a waitress in a commercial or a play. 

• Love 1

Getting sick of people gushing over Lucas. Every episode they have him in someone has to mention how attractive he is. Its really getting old, even Maya's mother had to say "Yeah that pretty young guy right there". And every time he just sits there and smiles like "Yeah i know i'm hot and you want me what girl doesn't". The character is being made out to be a modest nice guy, but i can just tell inside he's like "yeah, everyone wants me".

• Love 3

Getting my wife, who's not from the US to watxh old BMW episodes, so she'd understand why the studio audience cheers when an old characters show up.

I know I've seen the actress that played Maya's mom somewhere

Hoping for Uncle Eric to show up in Season 2

Edited by BigPaul25

I believe they have filmed all of Season One and Will Fredle never made a guest appearnce. Not even for the Thanksgiving ep.

Apparently Riley and Maya run that school. Notice how all of the other kids scatter the moment that paint fight?

I believe they have filmed all of Season One and Will Fredle never made a guest appearnce. Not even for the Thanksgiving ep.

Apparently Riley and Maya run that school. Notice how all of the other kids scatter the moment that paint fight?

I don't know about anyone else but I would've scattered so I didn't get any paint on me not because they "run the school."

• Love 2

Just remember everyone, BMW canon is Sabrina the teenage witch is in the same universal. So maybe Riley will discover she a witch as her true talent.

Getting sick of people gushing over Lucas. Every episode they have him in someone has to mention how attractive he is. Its really getting old, even Maya's mother had to say "Yeah that pretty young guy right there". And every time he just sits there and smiles like "Yeah i know i'm hot and you want me what girl doesn't". The character is being made out to be a modest nice guy, but i can just tell inside he's like "yeah, everyone wants me".

Here, here! It doesn't even make sense for BMW trope as well. Cory and Topanga were average on the show and not some god among humans that they make Lucas out to be. I swear to god he is a Mary Sue character written in a BMW fanfiction.

Plus it's creepy that they talk this way about a child to, can you imange the outrage if they refer to the girls the same way they do with Lucas? Eww all around.

This show giving me Save by the bell vibe, having the adults being idoits and children being the smart ones. Allot childeren shows do this, but its only sad because BMW really didn't have that forumale.

• Love 2
Here, here! It doesn't even make sense for BMW trope as well. Cory and Topanga were average on the show and not some god among humans that they make Lucas out to be. I swear to god he is a Mary Sue character written in a BMW fanfiction.

Sometimes I think that a pretty boy was demanded by Disney, and this is how Michael Jacobs and the writers decided to deal with him. If I'm not mistaken Farkle isn't listed as a main character, and we've spent more time with him than Lucas.

I loved seeing the Minkus family over for dinner at the end of the show. It allows me to believe that despite the competition, the two families are friendly. 

• Love 1

This show giving me Save by the bell vibe, having the adults being idoits and children being the smart ones. Allot childeren shows do this, but its only sad because BMW really didn't have that forumale.

Here's an interesting quote from the actor who played Mr. Turner. "Boy Meets world was one of the last shows, where adults on the show were still wiser than the kids, even though the kids were the stars." Ain't that the truth. Almost every sitcom show now, the kids are sooo much smarter than the adults and the adults are total dolts. Especially on Disney/Nick shows. If there are even parents at all. Half the time, those kids raise themselves. Even on the shows where the kids aren't the stars, half the time there's at least one kid who is the wise one and at least one adult who is an idiot. 

It's one thing for Riley to fawn over Lucas, but quite another for the adults. It was bad enough when Corey made a comment on his looks, but the female art teacher's line was so very over the top and inappropriate, I was kind of surprised they thought that was a good idea. Actually, her comment about Minkus was just as bad. I'm sure we could all name kids that we went to school with who were the ones that everyone thought was the cutest or the prettiest, the ones everyone dreamed about. But that was left for the students, not the parents/teachers.

And I don't know about the rest of you, but the Lucases of my junior high and high school years have not turned out well. Thanks, Facebook! LOL! The golden couple of my junior high, both he and she were the drool worthy boy and girl, neither turned out all that attractive now. Unfortunately for him, his dad was a principal at a neighboring high school and it turned out he (the dad) was video taping cheerleaders in the bathroom of their house, right after the son graduated. The boy basically went underground after that. I recently saw a pic of him and you wouldn't look twice. The girlfriend did a stint on the Bachelor, got the final rose and the ring, and then became the Bachelorette. She's still pretty, but looks kind of hard and gaunt these days. The dream boy of our high school, he of the perfect hair, lips, eyes, seriously one of the best looking guys I've ever seen, even to this day (20 years later)… yeah, not so much. His wife just likened him to falling in love with Jake Ryan (the stud of the movie 16 Candles), marrying him, and he turned into Al Bundy. I'd say it's mean, but it's true.  We aren't quite that old, but the comparisons rang true and any of our generation reading it, we knew exactly what she was saying. He's a total schlub now. 

• Love 4

Plus it's creepy that they talk this way about a child to, can you imange the outrage if they refer to the girls the same way they do with Lucas? Eww all around

It's sad when I can use BMW to prove that point. Art teacher says that about Lucas, it's played for laughs. Fred Savage and Topanga? Played for drama.

I don't know if the adults really come off as dumb as much as Riley comes of as a busybody know it all much like her father. Except Corey got put in his place when he went too far, thus far, on this show, there seems to be no consequences for that behavior.

Edited by Oscirus
  • Love 1

This episode had the most believable "Topanga is a mom" action/dialogue.  Especially at the end when she's there for an after school function still in her work clothes and called Riley "our little weirdo" (or "our little big mouth" or whatever she said).

• Love 1

This whole time, I was thinking that Maya's big "I have no future" schtick came from something, I don't know, big like her mom being a felon or something (okay, not really, since it's Disney). But the big thing is that her mom is a waitress? I just...is something supposed to be wrong with being a waitress?! Way to go, show. Odds are, more viewers' parents are blue collar than white collar. I get that Maya is supposed to be the Shawn, but for pete's sake. Shawn was actually abandoned by his parents. Maya's parents are divorced. And also, not that she should be dressed in a street urchin outfit out of Oliver Twist, but if she didn't have identically expensive makeup, hair, and clothes to her friend, it would be easier to convince me of their class differences.

• Love 5

Yeah, she "only" had a dumbphone, so obviously she was the poorest kid at the school. What kind of crap message is that? There aren't kids without phones altogether in NYC? Is Corey also going to pay for Maya's data plan now? Because that would be the actual expensive part of having a smart phone. This show, I swear.

• Love 1

Yeah, she "only" had a dumbphone, so obviously she was the poorest kid at the school. What kind of crap message is that? There aren't kids without phones altogether in NYC? Is Corey also going to pay for Maya's data plan now? Because that would be the actual expensive part of having a smart phone. This show, I swear.

He's paying her data plan and financing that bakery.  The Matthews are apparently rolling in the money.

I assume that the apartment's security must be really expensive as well. People just randomly drop off their six year olds at the apartment of people they don't know.

Back on topic with a silly nitpick. Why didn't Riley ask about Lucas's parents?

Edited by Oscirus
  • Love 1

I don't think they got that far, so to speak, since Minkus showed up.

This whole time, I was thinking that Maya's big "I have no future" schtick came from something, I don't know, big like her mom being a felon or something (okay, not really, since it's Disney). But the big thing is that her mom is a waitress? I just...is something supposed to be wrong with being a waitress?! Way to go, show. Odds are, more viewers' parents are blue collar than white collar. I get that Maya is supposed to be the Shawn, but for pete's sake. Shawn was actually abandoned by his parents. Maya's parents are divorced. And also, not that she should be dressed in a street urchin outfit out of Oliver Twist, but if she didn't have identically expensive makeup, hair, and clothes to her friend, it would be easier to convince me of their class differences.

I don't think it's that her mother's a waitress per se, but that she's simply disappointed Maya too often in the wake of her divorce (and going off the dialogue in this episode, Mr. Hart apparently left her for someone else on top of that and she's still trying to come to terms with it).  That's borderline unprecedented for present-day DC, even if they're screwing it up by glossing it over--deliberately?--like crazy.

Lucas is growing on me. I don't mind that he knows he's attractive. That's a theme from BMW, the attractive male characters (Eric, Shawn, Jack) all knew they were good looking and were confident in it, and so far Lucas is less vain than them. I liked him covering Farkle's mouth when he was asking about the painting. I also enjoyed seeing those two run out a second before the rest of the art class because they know Riley and Maya better and knew where that scene was going before anyone else did. Those little moments are making the core four a unit better than any of the major lessons.

I think Maya's "I have no future" thing came out of watching her mom unsuccessfully dream of being an actress. For Maya, taking her art seriously is probably hard because she's grown up seeing an artistic dream not come true.

I'm beginning to wonder if we're supposed to be seeing a flaw in Riley's incessant interfering in her friends' lives. It was a lesson Cory and Topanga had to learn on BMW ("The Eskimo"), so I'm guessing she will eventually.

Did anyone notice the scenery chewing extra sitting by Lucas? She was kind of hilarious.

• Love 2

Lucas is growing on me. I don't mind that he knows he's attractive. That's a theme from BMW, the attractive male characters (Eric, Shawn, Jack) all knew they were good looking and were confident in it, and so far Lucas is less vain than them. I liked him covering Farkle's mouth when he was asking about the painting. I also enjoyed seeing those two run out a second before the rest of the art class because they know Riley and Maya better and knew where that scene was going before anyone else did. Those little moments are making the core four a unit better than any of the major lessons.

All of the above. I love the four of them as a platonic unit of "besties" (ugh, I apologize) looking out for each as they grow through middle school and into high school. (At least until the band temporarily splits up after Lucas and Maya realize that she is a much better relationship match for him than Riley could ever be.) That's the sequel to BMW I want to see -- a new group of friends growing up and learning to help each other become young people worthy of each other's loyalty and friendship.

• Love 2

I just got around to watching this. I really think Farkle looks like Minkus. (although I would like to see the woman that agreed to have a kid with Minkus...) But how did Lucas not know what Farkle's last name was?? They seem like they are good friends and they're in class together. (I laughed when he put his arms in front of Farkle's mouth - which indicated to me they were good friends). I knew everybody's last name in my class. When the show first started I actually thought Farkle was his last name, then I saw his full name online.

I need to rewatch some of the early BMW episodes. I don't remember Minkus having a major crush on Topanga or Cory hating in for having a crush or Topanga being negative towards him.

How long have Riley and Maya been friends? It seems like Riley doesn't know a lot of Maya's background.

My favourite part though was Maya stating about having "little Minki".

• Love 1

I need to rewatch some of the early BMW episodes. I don't remember Minkus having a major crush on Topanga or Cory hating in for having a crush or Topanga being negative towards him.

Minkus definitely had a thing for Topanga, but Cory couldn't have cared less because his "telegram" hadn't arrived yet.  Cory and Shawn just disliked Minkus because he was a nerd that took everything too seriously.  Topanga was friendly toward him, but he was gone by the second season, only to reappear in the graduation episode of season 5.  At that point, she and Minkus had a (off screen) rivalry (that the audience knew nothing about because we hadn't seen him in 4 years) to see who could get the most As.  They were tied at 699 until Topanga threatened Feeny so she could get another one.