Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Girl Meets Maya's Mother

Minkus definitely had a thing for Topanga, but Cory couldn't have cared less because his "telegram" hadn't arrived yet.  Cory and Shawn just disliked Minkus because he was a nerd that took everything too seriously.  Topanga was friendly toward him, but he was gone by the second season, only to reappear in the graduation episode of season 5.  At that point, she and Minkus had a (off screen) rivalry (that the audience knew nothing about because we hadn't seen him in 4 years) to see who could get the most As.  They were tied at 699 until Topanga threatened Feeny so she could get another one.

Thanks. I remembered the part about the number of "A's" and general dislike of Minkus. That's one thing that I can't quite figure out about this show (although I haven't seen episode 6 yet, so maybe it's answered there) - who are the nerds or those getting bullied in this show. Topanga was somewhat of a nerd in the original, but she never got bullied. Minkus got bullied. And Cory was bullied (by the "bullies" in the first season) but Shawn never was even though they were best friends.

With all the dorky things that come out of Farkle's mouth, I would have thought we'd see him stuffed in a locker by now. Instead, he seems pretty chummy with the male cutie at school (Lucas).

I just got around to watching this. I really think Farkle looks like Minkus. (although I would like to see the woman that agreed to have a kid with Minkus...) But how did Lucas not know what Farkle's last name was?? They seem like they are good friends and they're in class together. (I laughed when he put his arms in front of Farkle's mouth - which indicated to me they were good friends). I knew everybody's last name in my class. When the show first started I actually thought Farkle was his last name, then I saw his full name online.

To make things even worse, didn't we hear Corey refer to him as Mr. Farkle?  In the pilot maybe?

A teacher ALWAYS knows student's last names.  It's on the attendance list they're given by the school.

To make things even worse, didn't we hear Corey refer to him as Mr. Farkle?  In the pilot maybe?

A teacher ALWAYS knows student's last names.  It's on the attendance list they're given by the school.

I can't remember if Cory said Mr. Farkle, but I've heard people say things like "Ms. Sarah" before so that wouldn't necessarily make me think that Cory didn't know his last name. But did Cory know that Minkus was Farkle's father? him and Topanga both looked a bit shocked when Minkus walked through the door.

I can't remember if Cory said Mr. Farkle, but I've heard people say things like "Ms. Sarah" before so that wouldn't necessarily make me think that Cory didn't know his last name. But did Cory know that Minkus was Farkle's father? him and Topanga both looked a bit shocked when Minkus walked through the door.

Regardless of what he did or didn't call him in that episode, there is zero chance a teacher doesn't know a student's last name.  Ergo, he knew, since there can't be that many people with the surname "Minkus".

I think Corey and Topanga knew Minkus was his father.  If they hadn't, I would have expected more shock, more "OMG!  MINKUS!  How have you been?!" than we got.  I took the surprise as simply that Corey wasn't expecting him to come for career day (although....wouldn't the parents have to RSVP or something so the teacher would know how much time to allot to each parent?  I know, I know...stop trying to apply real world logic).  I do wonder if Minkus is still living with Farkle and Farkle's mom, whoever she might be.  I don't know why, but I got an absent parent vibe from Minkus.  Maybe the helicopter bit?  *shrug*

Funniest line was definitely Maya and her deadpan "Little Minki" speech.  Awesomeness!

• Love 3

Maybe Cory didn't call him Mr. Minkus because that was the powerful Feeny's name for Minkus and that would have felt weird for him.

Or you know, they didn't want to spoil the surprise/they hadn't thought to make Farkle Minkus' kid yet.  Let's just make that continuity error number 1 of GMW.  We all know how many BMW produced in the first season alone. 

Speaking of continuity, I'd like to know when Cory became a magician and when Topanga developed those hips, haha.  I remember that Boy Meets World episode where she wanted to go dancing but that was the end of that. 

I loved seeing Minkus.  His ongoing competition with Cory and Topanga was so great but the Minkus/Matthews family dinner was even better. 

Auggie is adorable.  I'm glad they reworked the show and axed the older brother for him after they shot the first pilot. 

• Love 1

I work in a pre-school and I pretty much always call my students Miss Sarah or Mister Brad or whatever. I don't know why. It's just what I do. I did the same thing when I worked with elementary and 6th/7th graders. 

I work in a pre-school and I pretty much always call my students Miss Sarah or Mister Brad or whatever. I don't know why. It's just what I do. I did the same thing when I worked with elementary and 6th/7th graders. 

Maybe it's regional.  Are you perhaps from a Southern state?  I honestly don't think it's typical for a 7th grade teacher to use that form of address in other regions (although sure, for younger kids I bet it is).  But when I've visited in The South, I know it's not uncommon to call people of any age (especially women) with an title/honorific then their first name.  Elsewhere?  Not as much (the big exception might be in the African-American community, where I know it's sometimes done that way in other places as well).

Maybe it's regional.  Are you perhaps from a Southern state?  I honestly don't think it's typical for a 7th grade teacher to use that form of address in other regions (although sure, for younger kids I bet it is).  But when I've visited in The South, I know it's not uncommon to call people of any age (especially women) with an title/honorific then their first name.  Elsewhere?  Not as much (the big exception might be in the African-American community, where I know it's sometimes done that way in other places as well).

I'm Midwestern. I can definitely see where it wouldn't be common elsewhere, though.

I have to say, I'm already tired of the schtick that Corey's lecture of the day is whatever lesson Riley and Maya are supposed to learn. And why aren't those kids in detention every day for disrupting the class? If I were one of the students, I'd complain to my parents so they could take it up with the principal and school board -- that Mr. Matthews lets his daughter and her friends disrupt every class, run out of the room, and generally do whatever they want.

Does Sabrina Carpenter sing the opening theme? Because that's kind of catchy.

I have to say, I'm already tired of the schtick that Corey's lecture of the day is whatever lesson Riley and Maya are supposed to learn. And why aren't those kids in detention every day for disrupting the class? If I were one of the students, I'd complain to my parents so they could take it up with the principal and school board -- that Mr. Matthews lets his daughter and her friends disrupt every class, run out of the room, and generally do whatever they want.

I agree about the lectures becoming Riley and Maya's life lesson that have to learn. I'm not a fan of that schtick. The disruption in the classroom irritates me too. Lessons regularly come to a halt as Maya and Riley loudly discuss their personal problems or Cory takes the time to have a personal conversation with his daughter. It always takes me out of the moment, because I can't help but think to myself during these scenes, "Damn I would have loved to be in Cory's class, I'd never have to do any work."

Does Sabrina Carpenter sing the opening theme? Because that's kind of catchy.

Wrong girl.  It's the OTHER one.

Majorly autotuned, of course.

Of course, they both sing--it's a Disney requirement.  Also autotuned, here's what Sabrina sounds like:

Here's Rowan singing Adele.  And it's a live Youtube clip from 3 years ago, so you hear what she's like non-autotuned.  Frankly?  Not so good. 

EDIT - actually Sabrina's YouTube channel has tons of live clips from her.  Live singing she's about forty times better than Rowan.

Edited by Kromm

Sabrina Carpenter really was one hell of a find. Which makes me wonder if we're going to see some tension along the line, because while Rowen is very believable as the daughter of Cory and Topanga, Sabrina is clearly the better actress.

With all the dorky things that come out of Farkle's mouth, I would have thought we'd see him stuffed in a locker by now. Instead, he seems pretty chummy with the male cutie at school (Lucas).

The impression that I got from the "Queen of the Nerds" episode is that nerds aren't really bullied...they've banded together and created their own subculture and people seem to respect that and leave them alone.

Edited by methodwriter85

Sabrina Carpenter really was one hell of a find. Which makes me wonder if we're going to see some tension along the line, because while Rowen is very believable as the daughter of Cory and Topanga, Sabrina is clearly the better actress.

And, based on the live clips available of them singing, an infinitely better singer (something that matters a ton to the Disney machine, long-term--even if they gave in and let the inferior singing main star get super-re-mixed/tuned to do the theme song).

Prediction: This show will get good enough ratings to go on for some years. But Sabrina will get the Disney side-projects (the TV movies they do regularly). Also, if Disney Music is paying attention, an album eventually.

They really have something there. Sabrina can not only sing, but judging by her cover of "Stay With Me", she can actually interpret a song, which years of watching teen singers on American Idol have told me isn't something that's easily taught to teenagers.

Luckily, Sabrina is blonde and mainstream star-pretty/cute, which means she probably won't get pushed under the rug in favor of the main star, like what happened to Lalaine.

They really have something there. Sabrina can not only sing, but judging by her cover of "Stay With Me", she can actually interpret a song, which years of watching teen singers on American Idol have told me isn't something that's easily taught to teenagers.

Luckily, Sabrina is blonde and mainstream star-pretty/cute, which means she probably won't get pushed under the rug in favor of the main star, like what happened to Lalaine.

Stay With Me is a song that's easy for anyone to do a worthless pre-programmed cover of, and a hard one to do an actual real cover with some texture to it. She does a pretty good job--not epic, but better than most.

At the very least it shows a fairly extraordinary command of the low end for a girl.

Then there's her doing the classic "can they sing" song--the National Anthem.

The impression that I got from the "Queen of the Nerds" episode is that nerds aren't really bullied...they've banded together and created their own subculture and people seem to respect that and leave them alone.

Of course they're not bullied. That's verboten in today's "everyone is special in their own way" society. Unless it's a "very special episode," where the bully and the bullied learn a valuable lesson about getting along with those who are different.

I don't know if that's true...there characters are used differently..Sabrina for drama, Rowan for comedy. And imo they both nail it.

Lucas is growing on me. I don't mind that he knows he's attractive. That's a theme from BMW, the attractive male characters (Eric, Shawn, Jack) all knew they were good looking and were confident in it, and so far Lucas is less vain than them. I liked him covering Farkle's mouth when he was asking about the painting. I also enjoyed seeing those two run out a second before the rest of the art class because they know Riley and Maya better and knew where that scene was going before anyone else did. Those little moments are making the core four a unit better than any of the major lessons.

Agreed.  I watch this with my 7y/o girl, and while she thinks he's great, for me he's been "Justin" up until this point.  (Justin is any attractive teenage guy we're expected to swoon over, unless they have discernible entertainment value.)

His perfect delivery on this one earned him me calling him by his actual name...

Lucas:  Your name is Farkle Minkus?

Farkle:  Don't wear it out.

Lucas:  ..................I don't know how you could....

• Love 2