Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 6/13/2022

falltime
  • Start Topic

Monday, June 13 – Alyssa Farah Griffin guest co-hosts; David Duchovny (author, “The Reservoir”)

Tuesday, June 14 – Alyssa Farah Griffin guest co-hosts; Jeff Bridges and Amy Brenneman (“The Old Man”); “View Your Deal” with hottest items at affordable prices

Wednesday, June 15 – Alyssa Farah Griffin guest co-hosts; Ed Helms (“Rutherford Falls”); Superfan surprise

Thursday, June 16 – Alyssa Farah Griffin guest co-hosts; Bryan Cranston (“Jerry and Marge Go Large”); Gloria Estefan (“Father of the Bride”)

Friday, June 17 – Alyssa Farah Griffin guest co-hosts; Emma Thompson (“Good Luck to You, Leo Grande”); Keke Palmer (“Lightyear”)

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Ugh, seriously, View?  I think we have our winner re who gets the vacant chair.  I guess of the 3 leading candidates Alyssa is probably the least objectionable, but I'd still prefer someone who is not associated with the previous administration.

At least the lineup of guests is really good.  Except will it be awkward having Keke on with Sara?

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

Yeah, I like the line-up but I think next week is a miss for me.  And if she does get the vacant chair I guess I know what is getting deleted from my PVR going forward ☹️.

• Love 2

The only good thing about Griffin being on this week is that at least two 1/6 hearings are scheduled to be on in the morning hours, so most likely ABC preempts the show.

21 hours ago, SusanM said:

Yeah, I like the line-up but I think next week is a miss for me.  And if she does get the vacant chair I guess I know what is getting deleted from my PVR going forward ☹️.

Ditto!

• Like 1
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, Tammy12 said:

When Keke has popped up before they've seemed to be besties. 

I remember that. Keke and Michael Strahan both popped up to wish Sara a happy birthday in 2020 when the show was still on Zoom, to Sara's obvious delight. 

• LOL 1

I saw Alyssa Farah Griffin on CNN this morning with Dana Bash...she was in agreement with other panelists about the importance of the work of the Jan. 6 Committee.  Also, it looked like Alyssa had colored her hair darker

36 minutes ago, BuckeyeLou said:

I saw Alyssa Farah Griffin on CNN this morning with Dana Bash...she was in agreement with other panelists about the importance of the work of the Jan. 6 Committee.  Also, it looked like Alyssa had colored her hair darker

I wonder if “my producer Brian” tells the conservative tryouts to shake things up

• LOL 4
On 6/11/2022 at 6:27 AM, Haleth said:

Ugh, seriously, View?  I think we have our winner re who gets the vacant chair.  I guess of the 3 leading candidates Alyssa is probably the least objectionable, but I'd still prefer someone who is not associated with the previous administration.

At least the lineup of guests is really good.  Except will it be awkward having Keke on with Sara?

Nah i don't think so.  They're both professionals and whenever they both would be on GMA at the same time, it was always hugs and kisses 

Surprisingly, I think Whoopi had a good perspective on the compromise bill. She's aware that this is moving the needle forward and is not the ultimate solution, but a step that needs to be taken while working toward broader (and hopefully better) solutions. 

Again, Sunny mentions how most people with mental illness / issues are likely to be victims rather than perpetrators. She says that the thing that the shooters in multiple cases have in common is an AR gun. That probably is true (I didn't look into what specific guns they used), but the other thing they have in common is some kind of mental / emotional issue. I think it is clear that there are at least two factors that contribute to these attacks and downplaying one of them doesn't help address the problem.  If they didn't have an AR gun would any of these guys just give up on their idea of shooting people or otherwise attacking them? These attacks don't seem to be impulsive, so lack of one weapon would just require a different plan.

Of course, the majority of people with mental issues are non-violent and should not be stigmatized. We should avoid stereotyping people based on one aspect of their lives. 

• Applause 1
  • Love 7
16 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

Surprisingly, I think Whoopi had a good perspective on the compromise bill. She's aware that this is moving the needle forward and is not the ultimate solution, but a step that needs to be taken while working toward broader (and hopefully better) solutions. 

Again, Sunny mentions how most people with mental illness / issues are likely to be victims rather than perpetrators. She says that the thing that the shooters in multiple cases have in common is an AR gun. That probably is true (I didn't look into what specific guns they used), but the other thing they have in common is some kind of mental / emotional issue. I think it is clear that there are at least two factors that contribute to these attacks and downplaying one of them doesn't help address the problem.  If they didn't have an AR gun would any of these guys just give up on their idea of shooting people or otherwise attacking them? These attacks don't seem to be impulsive, so lack of one weapon would just require a different plan.

Of course, the majority of people with mental issues are non-violent and should not be stigmatized. We should avoid stereotyping people based on one aspect of their lives. 

Over the weekend I read the book Sara referenced a couple weeks ago. The Violence Project.  It's about mass shootings.  It was very good and I recommend people read it.  Most mass shootings have perpetrators who have had some sort of crisis before their crime.  A significant number had been seen by mental health professionals in the days leading up to the shooting.  Getting people help before they commit these crimes is absolutely something that needs done. However some of these shooters, even after seeing mental health professionals didn't meet the criteria for being denied the right to buy a gun.  And some that did fell through the cracks within the system of background checks.  There is no easy fix to this problem.  

• Useful 5
45 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

I'm genuinely curious as to where Sunny gets these statistics. I am not a lawyer or a psychologist, but I believe that most perpetrators of mass shootings suffer from mental illness, although not all that suffer from mental illness perpetrate mass shootings. 

I didn't get to see the show today because it was preempted by the Jan 6 hearing, but hopefully I can catch it later on youtube.

• Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, Blissfool said:

I'm genuinely curious as to where Sunny gets these statistics. I am not a lawyer or a psychologist, but I believe that most perpetrators of mass shootings suffer from mental illness, although not all that suffer from mental illness perpetrate mass shootings. 

I didn't get to see the show today because it was preempted by the Jan 6 hearing, but hopefully I can catch it later on youtube.

I think one problem is the type of mental illness the perpetrators suffer from like depression or borderline personality disorders are relatively common in the general population.   There's not a mental health diagnosis specific to mass shooters.    They often aren't schizophrenic or stereotypically "crazy".  So I think Sunny mentions the mental health stat to point out that it's too broad of a factor to adequately address the problem.   It would be like saying let's put more resources on young men 14 - 21.  Yes, that age group here is more likely to perpetrate the crime than the general population, but it's also too broad a category to really address the issue.   

In an ideal world anyone expressing a desire to hurt themselves or others would be prohibited from purchasing a gun or if they had a gun already, the person would have to surrender it to law enforcement until it can be shown they are no longer a threat.   In reality that would be extremely difficult to implement.  There is a patchwork of databases across the country to enter that type of information with different requirements for inclusion in each state.   There is no single source out there with the most up to date information.   

Sunny wants to focus on the thing that is easiest to control, the access to the gun.   And sees the mental health conversation as a distraction to that to some degree.    

Edited by After7Only
  • Applause 4
  • Useful 1
  • Love 10
19 minutes ago, After7Only said:

I think one problem is the type of mental illness the perpetrators suffer from like depression or borderline personality disorders are relatively common in the general population.   There's not a mental health diagnosis specific to mass shooters.    They often aren't schizophrenic or stereotypically "crazy".  So I think Sunny mentions the mental health stat to point out that it's too broad of a factor to adequately address the problem.   It would be like saying let's put more resources on young men 14 - 21.  Yes, that age group here is more likely to perpetrate the crime than the general population, but it's also too broad a category to really address the issue.   

In an ideal world anyone expressing a desire to hurt themselves or others would be prohibited from purchasing a gun or if they had a gun already, the person would have to surrender it to law enforcement until it can be shown they are no longer a threat.   In reality that would be extremely difficult to implement.  There is a patchwork of databases across the country to enter that type of information with different requirements for inclusion in each state.   There is no single source out there with the most up to date information.   

Sunny wants to focus on the thing that is easiest to control, the access to the gun.   And sees the mental health conversation as a distraction that to some degree.    

I would respect Sunny more if she would acknowledge that the problem is more complex than she implies. For example, you make a good point about the age and gender demographics. If you made a Venn diagram with the factors of age, gender, mental health status, gun ownership or access, gun type, and propensity to shoot mass people (or even 1 person), I think there would be a relatively small place where everything overlaps, but nothing would lie completely outside of the diagram. The more information that can be collected about the people who fall into that overlap, the more likely it is that strategies can be found to prevent future crimes. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, After7Only said:

Sunny wants to focus on the thing that is easiest to control, the access to the gun.   And sees the mental health conversation as a distraction that to some degree.    

And I would agree with Sunny on that point!

The show was pre-empted here, maybe I'll see it later online perhaps. I imagine most of this week will be pre-empted. What was funny to me is a re-run of Wendy Williams (hosted by Sherri Shepherd) that followed was not pre-empted.... Network actions are so strange.

• Applause 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

Alyssa patting herself on the back for quitting the WH after the election. What a patriot. 

Since tomorrow's hearing is not going to happen, the show will go on and we'll be stuck with her. Goody. 😣

I agreed with Sara, that was cruel both to the child and the animal. You can find a way to punish someone without doing something like that--if you don't want a pet, don't get one in the first place.

Whoopi egging on Sunny's legal note dramatics did make me laugh. The Jeff Bridges interview was also pretty fun.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 5

Dog topic: So many things wrong with this story. A) The threat to give away the dog seems to be the reason for the cheating (unless the daughter routinely cheated), so that was a threat that was ineffective in terms of getting the girl to study. B) Was giving the dog away the only useful sanction available? C) Why punish the dog? S/He didn't do anything wrong. D) On the kind of positive side, the dog is right next door, so it isn't as if the mom sent the dog to "a farm where it can play with other dogs". I'll bet the kid sees the dog all the time anyway. E) Was this the mom's way of relieving herself of the responsibility and cost of having the dog (cleaning up, walking, feeding) so it was beneficial to the mom more than incentive for the kid? (The girl did cheat so maybe this had mutliple purposes).

Also, now that the mom has played the "dog card", what's left? Where can she go from here? It seems like she's painted herself in a corner, so what can she do to motivate the kid? I hope that physical punishment isn't next.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2

I don't know why they cover "stories" they get from reddit.  There's no way to verify if they're true (unless you went to extreme lengths, which I doubt the show is doing) and a good number of them are made up.  Surely there are more interesting/relevant things they could discuss.

• Applause 6
  • Love 2

I loved it when Sunny said there should be a Kamala/Buttigieg ticket and Joy asked if anyone would love for that!!  Of course,  Sunny said SHE would.

Gosh, her lovefest with Kamala ignores the falling approval numbers.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, KittyQ said:

Dog topic: So many things wrong with this story. A) The threat to give away the dog seems to be the reason for the cheating (unless the daughter routinely cheated), so that was a threat that was ineffective in terms of getting the girl to study. B) Was giving the dog away the only useful sanction available? C) Why punish the dog? S/He didn't do anything wrong. D) On the kind of positive side, the dog is right next door, so it isn't as if the mom sent the dog to "a farm where it can play with other dogs". I'll bet the kid sees the dog all the time anyway. E) Was this the mom's way of relieving herself of the responsibility and cost of having the dog (cleaning up, walking, feeding) so it was beneficial to the mom more than incentive for the kid? (The girl did cheat so maybe this had mutliple purposes).

Also, now that the mom has played the "dog card", what's left? Where can she go from here? It seems like she's painted herself in a corner, so what can she do to motivate the kid? I hope that physical punishment isn't next.

I’m wondering if this was a constant battle for the mother. For all we know, she could have taken everything imaginable away from her daughter and the dog was a last resort to get her daughter to give a damn about her studies. 

Positive reinforcement to get the kid wanting to learn for herself would work better than negative punishments. As mentioned above, what do you do when you run out of things to take away? 

• Love 1

Go, Sunny!  Although Alyssa is right that it’s natural for people to blame the current administration for the economic downturn, Sunny is also right that the current administration is being blocked at every turn and it is disgusting. 

• Love 15
24 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Go, Sunny!  Although Alyssa is right that it’s natural for people to blame the current administration for the economic downturn, Sunny is also right that the current administration is being blocked at every turn and it is disgusting. 

Yes!! Good on Sunny for pushing back against Griffin. She (Sunny) is absolutely right here.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, Prairie Rose said:

Is this show officially in partnership with Reddit now? Good grief.

I know, right?! I get that the producers want a "lighter" segment between Hot Topics and the interviews, but they could do a lot better than weird surveys, reality show gossip, or random Reddit chatter. It's especially annoying because there's generally a 55% chance that Whoopi will consider the topic beneath her and break out the Valley Girl voice or Joy will "so what, who cares" the topic.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 7

I agreed with Sunny when she said the opposition has blocked solutions put forward to deal with things like gas prices, inflation, Ukraine, baby formula, etc. because it's more advantageous to campaign on the problem instead. Like her, I take that as a sign that they plan to do nothing even if they win, because those already in office would be attempting to fix the problems now rather than waiting until after midterms if they actually cared about what happens to average people.

• Sad 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3

I hate myself for this but Alyssa is right, the Republicans ARE busy stacking the deck with fair election deniers in positions of power ready for the next election and beyond, ready for the next dictatorship in world history. Sunny & Joy denying that this is the case are just helping the apathy and belief that good will win out & people will come to their senses, which they will but way too late.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, Welshman in Ca said:

I hate myself for this but Alyssa is right, the Republicans ARE busy stacking the deck with fair election deniers in positions of power ready for the next election and beyond, ready for the next dictatorship in world history. Sunny & Joy denying that this is the case are just helping the apathy and belief that good will win out & people will come to their senses, which they will but way too late.

I don't recall Sunny or Joy denying that was the case? What I do remember is Whoopi and Joy kvetching when Alyssa was first saying a red wave was likely, which technically Alyssa is correct that that is the forecast. All I could think is Whoopi & Joy simply didn't want it to be treated like it's a done deal based on polls. Whoopi has been going on tangents that she doesn't believe polls for the past few months whenever Sunny cites anything, so I wasn't really surprised by that.

Yeah, I don’t think Joy and Sunny were denying that this was happening, only denying that the Red Wave is inevitable. They think there will be enough outrage among Dems and independents to offset Rep enthusiasm. There are a number of problems with their assumption. 

4 hours ago, Bronzedog said:

The interview with Sunny and her Super fan was really awkward.

Haha i thought it was cute. I like how they are picking the superfans...not just out of a hat.  So this is Sunny's stalker "ahem' superfan.  Just kidding.  I know she's not a stalker.  She seems great though. i wouldn't doubt a mentorship in the future. She seemed perfect for that.  I think that leaves Joy and Whoopi to get theirs

• Love 7
(edited)

Sunny could make her points without being so rude.  It's almost a daily thing now.  When Alyssa said, "I'm going to push back on this," Sunny snapped, "You can push back all you want--that's the truth!"  Whether Sunny's right or wrong, she could make her point without the venom.  Sunny has apparently taken over the former host's habit of rudeness, only she does it with a coffee-sipping smirk.  

Edited by Gemma Violet
  • Like 1
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, Bronzedog said:

The interview with Sunny and her Super fan was really awkward.

what was awkward about it? i thought it was sweet on both their parts

nice that sunny inspired a lovely girl to a meaningful future

• Applause 1
  • Love 8

I thought the superfan was super cute, smart, and well-spoken. I loved her surprise walk-on. She seemed so genuine. 

I wonder if the other superfans lived too far to travel for their appearance. 

5 hours ago, ForumLou said:

I think that leaves Joy and Whoopi to get theirs

Joy already got hers. The best friends, one of which looks like Joy.

• Like 1
  • Love 4