Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E09: Until You're Blue

That was one wild episode.  Lots of plot progress and nothing beats Tawney leaving Teddy because the guy is such an asshole.  I thought he was going to get killed by the guy with the rims.  Soon he'll lose the house because of his ridiculous business plan and he'll be left with nothing.  Guess he can always move into Daniel's old room, now that Daniel is being forced to leave town.  

Can someone remind me about George?  I don't recall anything about him other than getting killed by Trey (if that's his name.  I have a mental block)..

Can someone remind me about George?  I don't recall anything about him other than getting killed by Trey (if that's his name.  I have a mental block)..

In the very first episode of season 1, after Daniel was released, a paranoid Georgie went to meet Trey by the river to talk about it. Trey told George to stick to their original story if anyone asked. Georgie asked Trey if he was the one who killed Hannah. Trey denied it. After Trey left, Georgie shot himself in the head. Trey later found George's body, took his personal effects, kept them, then threw George in the river.

Edited by Fisher King

Auntie, if I remember right -- Trey didn't kill George.  George killed himself.  Trey found his body and dumped it in the river.  Trey probably thought that George's suicide -- right after Daniel was released -- would raise questions.  So rather than let George's body be found, he dumped it.

Until tonight -- silly me -- I thought that Tawney was attracted to Daniel but that she loved Teddy.  I thought that what hurt her about Teddy's accusations was that they weren't true, and that she was crying because her husband thought she didn't love him.  But then she called Daniel. 

That last scene was almost as hot as the dance scene in Picnic, Kim Novak and William Holden and that gorgeous music -- Moonglow, I think it was.

• Love 2

If I'm recalling correctly, George committed suicide and Trey disposed of the body. George and Trey testified against Daniel and George was the one who testified that he saw Daniel commit the murder. George seemed very upset that the case unwound and appeared guilt ridden and afraid that everything was going to open up again. I believe that George lied about seeing Daniel commit the murder.

The casting of Ted and Teddy was brilliant, they hold their mouth the same way and really can pass for father and son. Good for Ted questioning why the sheriff would tell the senator who is out for Daniel, and then confronting Foulkes.

I was just starting to feel sympathy for Teddy and then he went off on Tawney. I can't blame him for being upset, he wanted that baby and looks like his rim business is in trouble. But dude, you just drove her away for good.

I am so afraid this show will get canceled before we find out what happened the night of Hanna's murder.

• Love 1

I enjoyed Daniel pointing out that the merry-go-round was a metaphor, and later saying to his mom that the concept of time was "a familiar theme" of his. Just the right amount of meta there, I thought.

I also really liked the conversation between Amantha and Janet about their different communication styles ("languages"). It was the right mixture of gentle and direct, a blend of their styles.

I was afraid that Teddy was going to hit Tawney in the bedroom confrontation scene. I'm so glad he didn't. I'm also glad that both Tawney and Daniel acknowledged that they can't be together. I guess we'll see whether or not that sticks, but I don't think it would be believable for Tawney to fall into bed with Daniel, crisis of faith notwithstanding.

• Love 3

Am I alone in not liking Tawney?. It's one thing to be wrongfully accused of something, but it really didn't seem like anything Teddy was saying was untrue. She really didn't seem to give a shit about losing the baby, and she did end up calling Daniel.

I don't know if it's something in the way she's written, or the way she's portrayed, but I don't like the wavery, hesitant, skittish baby deer thing that seems to come across from her tone of voice.

• Love 3

Did the previouslies show a scene that wasn't in last week's show? It showed the senator telling Ted Sr. about what happened. I thought we didn't get any dialogue in that scene last week. If that is what happened, I wish they wouldn't do that. Drives me a bit crazy.

I liked the opening scene and score. I can imagine all the thoughts running through Ted Sr.'s mind watching Daniel weirdly laying in the backyard.

I'm still meh on Amantha. The best I can say about her is that she hasn't actively annoyed me in one or two eps. I didn't like her reaction when Daniel discussed the plea deal with her. He reached out and went to talk to her, wanted her advice and her reaction was terrible. She can get her point across without badgering. And the excuse that it's just her personality doesn't cut it for me. The shut up Amantha was back in full force this week.

I do still feel a bit bad for Teddy. His reaction wasn't good either, but he knows he's been slowly losing Tawney and can't seem to do anything about it. He's not wrong about her feelings for Daniel. The events of the day and her reaction just pushed him over the edge and the fact that she didn't deny any of it certainly didn't help. I was also concerned he was going to get a more severe beating at that guy's house.

I would have liked Tawney more if she didn't immediately call Daniel. Mentally, she's already left Teddy.

I don't think it would be believable for Tawney to fall into bed with Daniel, crisis of faith notwithstanding.

Maybe not, but the 1/2 to 3/4 bottle of wine she drank may weigh in.

The look on Daniel's face as he went into the hotel room was interesting. There was just a hint that he really isn't a good man.

• Love 1

The best thing about this show is that I cannot predict what's going to happen.  I didn't see the miscarriage coming -- not so soon anyway. And I got the impression Teddy's rim job rental was doing well despite everyone's trepidation. Guess not. I really thought Junior was gonna bash that guy with a tire iron and land in jail.

What an idiot. I still don't think that Tawney had developed full romantic feelings for Daniel but Teddy's distrust of Tawney drove her directly into Daniel's arms. I'm also glad that Tawney and Daniel realize that being together is doomed and not really an option.

Clayne Crawford's acting was superb this episode.

Great acting, beautiful score and dialogue made for an exceptional episode.

I am so afraid this show will get canceled before we find out what happened the night of Hanna's murder.

I'm not worried and have no doubts there will be another season. There's too much story to be told and questions left to answer.

Edited by Fisher King
  • Love 1

Am I alone in not liking Tawney?.

No I don't like her either. She doesn't want to be Teddy's wife, she isn't honest about her feelings but uses religion to justify her actions-and she didn't seem to care about the baby. I started out disliking Teddy; but now I think he is a decent guy who loves his wife and is trying his best to be a good guy.

Daniel seems different these past couple of episodes. Like less of a good guy and more like a guy with mental issues beyond his incarceration. Not sure where they are going with this.

• Love 1

If I'm recalling correctly, George committed suicide and Trey disposed of the body. George and Trey testified against Daniel and George was the one who testified that he saw Daniel commit the murder. George seemed very upset that the case unwound and appeared guilt ridden and afraid that everything was going to open up again. I believe that George lied about seeing Daniel commit the murder.

I agree that George lied, but it seems he was coerced to lie, just as Daniel's confession was coerced. I'm not so sure about Trey; that is, I get the feeling he lied willingly.

Did the previouslies show a scene that wasn't in last week's show? It showed the senator telling Ted Sr. about what happened. I thought we didn't get any dialogue in that scene last week. If that is what happened, I wish they wouldn't do that. Drives me a bit crazy.

I noted that, too. I'm pretty sure last week we didn't hear anything the senator said. I was wondering if that dialog part in the previouslies was actually from a different scene, maybe when he was talking to the sheriff.

I don't think Tawney was unaffected by the miscarriage. She was pushing everything down, acting like she was ok. That seemed clear to me, esp in the scene where she was serving Teddy milk and cookies. Isn't that something a mother would do for a child? 

I think when she broke down and cried, that was partly for the miscarriage as well as for her confused feelings about Daniel and Teddy, and for all the tension and anguish she has been containing whenever Teddy acted like an asshole. 

And I think Teddy was crying for several reasons as well. His life is shit right now. He feels like he's losing, or has lost, his wife. He believes the man who has stolen her from him is getting away with murder AND assaulted him in a humiliating way. He's crying over that assault. He's crying over losing the baby.

I'm glad Ted Sr reacted like he did. He may wonder about what Daniel's capable of, but he wants to protect his family, esp Janet. I liked when he said "I'm sorry" to Teddy. Of course he meant he was sorry what happened to him, but he had to pretend he was sorry he was late.

I was a little confused over the plea deal. Daniel wouldn't have to go back to prison and didn't need to say he raped Hanna, but did he have to say he killed her? Or did he just have to leave?

• Love 4

I liked the episode even though my dirty mind didn't really like the way Amantha let off some steam, I read that a whooole other way letmetellyou

I loved the talk between mom and Amantha. I've wanted to shake Janet since the beginning of this show and I think Amantha managed to shake her even if only a little. I grew up with repressed parents so the Holden/Talbots really pulls at all my strings and I often just feel like slapping every single one of them.

Ted Sr is really growing on me. I think he handled that messy situation as best as he could. I really had no idea how he would handle all of that so I really get what you mean @Fisher King about not being able to predict this show.

@Nihilum - I'm with you. I don't like Tawney at all but I think that mostly has to do with the fact she's hinged with Ted Jr/Teddy. He's been an asswipe since the very beginning, just the fact she at some point agreed to marry him made me just think she's dumb. I sure hope she won't hook up with Daniel. That would creep me out even more than seeing Daniel strangle a blanket doll.

Last season I really liked the look backs with Kerwin, I haven't enjoyed Wendall as much but then again I don't think that character's really there to be 'enjoyed' either. I like Charlie Chaplin tho, usually don't go for the priest/chaplains but he got something I like and I particularly liked him this episode.

And I just have to let you know, I saw Aden Young (Daniel) in the movie Frontera the other day and it was so much fun to see him in another role. He had at least a little more dialogue in the movie. He played a sheriff, the moustache was hilarious, and he did a really good job with a character that later on in the movie would get a heavy weight on his shoulders. I haven't seen him in anything before, well I've seen The Tree but I have to say I don't remember him at all from that movie. I hope IMDB will correct their mistake cause Aden (I) needs credit for Frontera.

I was a little confused over the plea deal. Daniel wouldn't have to go back to prison and didn't need to say he raped Hanna, but did he have to say he killed her? Or did he just have to leave?

I think he had to admit to killing her and leave the state.

I think as much as Tawney tried to protect herself from feeling something, she also tried to keep it together for him, but ended up alienating him even more.

I think this is partly true, but she didn't deny any of his accusations so she didn't help the situation at all. That would lead him (and me) to believe he's right. If the accusations weren't true, she could have said something to diffuse the situation and calm him down.

I wish they would skip showing the scenes that are coming up in the episode during the commercials, seems like a waste of time.

I am leery that Tawney will pass out in the bed with Daniel next to her and somebody (Teddy probably) will find them that way. Although it's natural that she may question her faith a bit, I hope Tawney doesn't turn into a bad girl now. That seems like too much of a cliché for this show. I wish she would have told Teddy that she was upset about the miscarriage and that it was not about Daniel, but like somebody said above I guess she is too repressed and scared of Teddy.

• Love 1

Better communication would help these people, but that's true of most drama.  Ted Sr. won't ask Daniel for his version of what happened with Ted Jr.  Daniel didn't give his mother the whole story about his banishment -- that he won't be living in Atlanta and that he won't be coming home again -- ever.  Jon tried to explain to Amantha that he HAD to present the plea deal to Daniel, but she wouldn't listen. 

I think Janet and Amantha understand each other a bit better now, so that's something anyway. 

Something else kind of baffles me, why doesn't Daniel tell his lawyer/family that he honestly doesn't know if he killed Hannah or not. And that the reason he has to consider the plea deal is that because he was too high to know otherwise, he has to entertain the notion that maybe he did.

Now given what we know regarding Trey and George, I still don't think Daniel did it, but it might help in explaining things to Amantha and his little brother.

For me, the shot of the night was Tawney's feet emerging from the worn, dirty sneakers as contrasted with the angelic white dress.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one noticing that shot. It was amazing. 

IMHO Tawney may feel her miscarriage is some kind of "punishment" for being attracted to Daniel instead of Teddy. I think her emotions are just bubbling below the surface (she's not really one to emote much but then again, neither is Teddy's stepmom). And I thought at first Teddy was going to be killed, and then turn around and kill the rim guy. He's a hot mess. 

• Love 3

What I love most about this show is that no one is "all" anything...not all good, not all bad. Well except for Amantha. She's terrible and her name is stupid.

I did find the banishment discussion a little odd, though. I mean it's not convenient for a person to be unable to go visit the family at the family home... but so what? The family can go to whatever shithole county Daniel moves to, or how about this? Daniel moves to South Beach and everyone has Christmas in Miami! Silver linings!!

• Love 2

Great episode... a couple of episodes in the middle of the season were a bit of a lull but the show seems back on track for the season finale.  I'm glad Ted Jr. didn't die... the writers, actors and director did a great job telegraphing impending tragedy from the moment Ted confronted Tawney, but if it actually happened it'd have been way too heavy handed.  Plus there's still so much more to the Ted Jr. and Daniel story to tell.

BTW, this episode featured the second appearance of music by Arvo Pärt... the opening teaser featured his piece "Fratres for String Orchestra and Percussion", after the chaplain had played "Tabula Rasa" in an earlier episode.  Couldn't tell if it was the same piece the chaplain tried to play in this episode... it's a bit hot in my place and couldn't hear it over the fan.

• Love 1

Thoughts on the episode title?  "Until you're blue -- in the face"?  That's how I usually hear the term -- people talk and talk and nobody really hears, there's no real communication.

Teddy uttered that when he told Tawney to go be with Daniel. He said that maybe she'd get lucky and that Daniel will "strangle you until you're blue and put you out of your misery"....

• Love 1

I know this is weird, but my favorite piece of dialogue in this episode was when Daniel was bugging Amantha at work and she called him a "turd." It seemed really authentic to me for her to slip into the sort of language she would have used when they were kids.

Did anyone else notice Amantha's Tiny Triumph--namely, that she's getting the hang of her job at Thrifty Town and has learned to be polite to cusomers? She even called that lady by name.

It's not at all unusual, nor is it heartless, for a woman to not be terribly upset over an early term miscarriage. My mom had four early miscarriages, and once she told me that the worst thing about them was people trying to make her feel like she should be grieving more when the pregnancies just hadn't seemed real to her yet. And my mom very much wanted several children, whereas Tawney had seemed unsurprisingly conflicted about bringing a baby into this troubled marriage. Anyway, my read on Tawney was that she felt relief coupled with guilt about the relief.

Edited by Portia
  • Love 4

It's not at all unusual, nor is it heartless, for a woman to not be terribly upset over an early term miscarriage. My mom had four early miscarriages, and once she told me that the worst thing about them was people trying to make her feel like she should be grieving more when the pregnancies just hadn't seemed real to her yet.

I used to joke that I didn't bond with my kids until we shared our first beer, so Tawney's reaction (or non-reaction) was understandable to me.  She hadn't felt movement, she wasn't showing, and I don't think she was even having morning sickness.  The pregnancy might have been real to her, but the baby wasn't.

Fisher King, thanks for the explanation.  That comment of Teddy's was so ugly, I think I blocked it out of my mind.

Speaking of Teddys, does anyone know if Bruce McKinnon (Ted Sr.) is related to Ray McKinnon?

• Love 1

I know this is weird, but my favorite piece of dialogue in this episode was when Daniel was bugging Amantha at work and she called him a "turd." It seemed really authentic to me for her to slip into the sort of language she would have used when they were kids.

LOL. I got a little kick out that, too. My sister and big brother called me that SO many times - out of adolescent love of course.

Fisher King, thanks for the explanation.  That comment of Teddy's was so ugly, I think I blocked it out of my mind.

Speaking of Teddys, does anyone know if Bruce McKinnon (Ted Sr.) is related to Ray McKinnon?

I thought I heard Teddy say that line when I watched it, so I went back to make sure I'd heard right. Yes, Teddy was so ugly and brutal.

About the McKinnons: Every article I read about the show last year indicated that Ray and Bruce are not related.

I always get this sense of menace when Teddy and Tawney have scenes together.  I'm always half expecting him to hit her.  She once said she was sometimes afraid of him.  I get the impression that she tends to walk on eggshells around him and tends to think of how he will react over how she may feel.  It's like she's always acting for him because she doesn't think he can handle her being honest, and I think she's right because he's so intensely insecure.  He's a character who sometimes winds up in circumstances where I want to feel bad for him, but I can't because he's unnecessarily an asshole so much of the time.   I think Twaney shut down emotionally after the miscarriage partially out of guilt because she wasn't sure she wanted the baby and partially part of the pattern of her repressing herself to handle Teddy.   I do think neither Teddy or Tawney are saints in this situation and have both made mistakes.

She wanted out of the marriage but just couldn't come out and say it.  Some of that I think is religious and some is her self-esteem.   Having feelings for Daniel and wanting a divorce makes her feel like a bad person.  I also believe it was fear of his nasty reaction.  So she kept going along with Teddy while mentally she was already gone from the marriage.  She should have been more mature and just ended it even if Teddy got ugly about it.  Still I tend to feel more sympathy for her rather than Teddy.  I kinda think both Twaney and Teddy have immature streaks but his is louder and more oft putting.

I think Teddy is understandably hurt to have his wife not want him anymore, but I don't think it justifies his behavior with her.   I feel like he treats her as an appendage to him and not an individual with her own needs and feelings.  Sometimes he directs his anger about other things and people at Taweny which is why she seems to walk on eggshells with him constantly.  I believe her when she says she's tired because being marriage with someone with a temperament like Teddy's would be exhausting.  A marriage where you are always afraid to speak your mind is going to fall apart eventually.    I feel like even if Daniel didn't come along Twaney would have got tired of constantly having to cater to Teddy's ego, and the marriage would be strained anyway.   Daniel exacerbated issues that were already there.  Teddy doesn't see that and will probably end up  pressing charges against Daniel for the choke hold as part of a way to get revenge on Daniel and maybe get Twaney back.  In Teddys, mind it's Daniel's fault and that's all he wants to see.   I feel like he's the type to blame others and not take personal responsibility for how the way he responses to people can be alienating.  I bet if the rims thing fails he'll blame his father and Taweny for it because they didn't believe in him enough.  Which is not to say,  I don't think Daniel has some culpability.  He's made it clear he wants Tawney, and he doesn't seem to give a crap about Teddy's feelings.  But since, Teddy never gives a crap about Daniel's feelings when he's being horrilbe I figure Daniel and Teddy are even.

I'm convinced that Daniel will get falsely accused of George's murder.  The sheriff has gotten involved in his disappearance.  When they search his house, they'll see evidence that Daniel was there and that there was a some sort of violent confrontation.   Trey will lie and implicate Daniel further.  It's going to get uglier and uglier.

• Love 4

I think that Teddy was pretty much right in everything he said to Tawney, even if it was cruel, simply because she didn't deny any of it. But I just wish, since they seem to want to set up this Daniel/Tawney love story, that the two of them had actually had some more scenes together this season. I can buy that she's into him, but Daniel only really seems into her when she's directly in front of him. Most of the time he's pretty pre-occupied and he didn't seem to me to be mooning over Tawney that much this year.

• Love 2

Not sure I can agree that everything Teddy said to Tawney was true.  The only thing Teddy knows for sure is that Tawney said she had feelings for Daniel, and he pretty much coerced her to say that.  The culmination of their already existing issues, Daniel being released, the coffee incident, the dubious rim investment, and now the miscarriage were more than enough to make Teddy explode, releasing all that hostility directly at Tawney. 

Tawney's inability to say anything in her defense was definitely frustrating, and that weakness allowed Teddy to imagine the degree, and just how deep, Tawney's feelings are for Daniel -- no matter if true or not. I'm still of the opinion that Tawney has no certain romantic feelings for Daniel. When they first met, Daniel and Tawney both connected on a very quirky level, sharing a similar chemistry of which only those two could relate.

I hope I don't offend by saying this (for lack of a better way of expression): It seems to me that there is a mental glitch within Tawney that is attracted to whatever mental glitch Daniel possesses.

Edited by Fisher King
  • Love 2
I hope I don't offend by saying this (for lack of a better way of expression): It seems to me that there is a mental glitch within Tawney that is attracted to whatever mental glitch Daniel possesses.

I agree. And to put my own spin on it, they both seem weird and twitchy when they're around almost anyone else, but when they're alone together they make some weird kind of sense, and that's got to be a very difficult thing to let go of if you spend most of your time feeling isolated. I see that people have differing opinions on the type and degree of their attraction to each other, but the show has completely sold me on the idea that they are kindred souls of some kind. And they each have one specific lie in relation to the situation that they tell themselves and each other: Tawney that they can't be together, and Daniel that he's not a good person. 

Edited by kieyra
  • Love 3

I really liked this episode but I got to it late this week and you guys have already said just about everything I want to say on it. I'm still gonna yammer a bit anyways 'cause I'm too into the show not to. :-)

I also really liked the conversation between Amantha and Janet about their different communication styles ("languages"). It was the right mixture of gentle and direct, a blend of their styles.

I liked that scene a lot as well. I also really liked last week when Janet acknowledged that Daniel wouldn't be out of prison without Amantha's dogged determination. "If Amantha hadn't been Amantha."

I did also love the rest of the episode. I liked how Ted Sr. handled the information that he received at the end of the last episode. I like that he wants to keep it in the family. Really a stand-up man, that guy.

The scene in which Daniel tried to break to his mother that he will have to move to a different state if he accepts the deal, but ultimately couldn't follow up on it was heartbreaking.

I really loved how Ted Sr. handled that situation. He is just great.

Poor Janet, thinking they were talking about something completely different, how his life could move forward, etc. She seemed so happy to have that hope to grab hold of. Don't imagine she'll handle the idea of the banishment well. I didn't realize banishment was a real, legal thing.

Last season I really liked the look backs with Kerwin, I haven't enjoyed Wendall as much but then again I don't think that character's really there to be 'enjoyed' either. I like Charlie Chaplin tho, usually don't go for the priest/chaplains but he got something I like and I particularly liked him this episode.

I miss Kerwin. I am glad we didn't see Wendall this week because, yuck. I am with you, I don't normally care for the religious advisor but I do like Charlie.

Did anyone else notice Amantha's Tiny Triumph--namely, that she's getting the hang of her job at Thrifty Town and has learned to be polite to cusomers? She even called that lady by name.

Haha! I like that "turd" line, too. It felt very real. "TIny Triumph" is a great way to describe that moment---I really enjoyed that she was smiling and knew the lady's name.

I always get this sense of menace when Teddy and Tawney have scenes together.  I'm always half expecting him to hit her.  She once said she was sometimes afraid of him.  I get the impression that she tends to walk on eggshells around him and tends to think of how he will react over how she may feel.  It's like she's always acting for him because she doesn't think he can handle her being honest, and I think she's right because he's so intensely insecure.  He's a character who sometimes winds up in circumstances where I want to feel bad for him, but I can't because he's unnecessarily an asshole so much of the time. 

She wanted out of the marriage but just couldn't come out and say it.  Some of that I think is religious and some is her self-esteem.   Having feelings for Daniel and wanting a divorce makes her feel like a bad person.  I also believe it was fear of his nasty reaction.  So she kept going along with Teddy while mentally she was already gone from the marriage.  She should have been more mature and just ended it even if Teddy got ugly about it.  Still I tend to feel more sympathy for her rather than Teddy.  I kinda think both Twaney and Teddy have immature streaks but his is louder and more oft putting.

I think Teddy is understandably hurt to have his wife not want him anymore, but I don't think it justifies his behavior with her.   I feel like he treats her as an appendage to him and not an individual with her own needs and feelings.  Sometimes he directs his anger about other things and people at Taweny which is why she seems to walk on eggshells with him constantly. 

Luckylyn, YES to your whole post. I had to bold some of your words because I agree, boldly. Ha!

That sense of menace is something this show does so well that it's almost hard to watch at times. No show builds dread like this one for me, not just in the Teddy/Tawney scenes, but in other ones too.

I want to feel bad for Teddy, feel like I should a lot of times, and I even see where he's coming from most of the time, but yes, the uncalled for assholery is what keeps me from ever truly sympathizing with him. And after he told Tawney that maybe Daniel would strangle her too, well, that was just too far for me. I know people say ugly things when they're upset, but that? That was just indicative of a juvenile meanness that I can't see any excuse for in an adult. I don't care how angry you are, you shut your trap rather than say something so grotesque. 

Just one more episode, huh? I am looking forward to it but don't want to see it over either. Does anyone know what Sundance's pattern is for announcing renewals? Or if they have enough original programming to even have a pattern? I have no idea since this is the only thing I watch on that channel.

• Love 5

I think this is my first time posting here

Two seasons and I still don't know if I really like this show. It does intrigue me but, like with other Sundance shows, it is just over the "too weird" line for me. Sometimes I feel like they want us to believe that's a representation of "real" people, but I think they go too much into caricature mode and I can't believe the characters anymore - most of the time. 

Oh well, will see what happens next season.

One thing that I definitely do not like is the way the women dress in this show. It looks like they are shooting pictures for a catalog