Type keyword(s) to search

S28: Witney Carson

• Start Topic

I was surprised how much I enjoyed her partnership with Mark during the musical guest performance on the results show. I found myself thinking back to Julianne's snark during her first stint as guest judge. I got the impression that she approached dancing with Mark as a kind of adversarial one-upmanship (of course, all she said is that his partners need to be aware that they will need to keep up with him because he won't tone it down, or some such)

In any case, I thought that Whitney and Mark have a similar approach to performance and the pairing worked extremely well. I didn't get the sense that she was trying to keep up with him or one-up him, it felt like two full-out performers supporting each other's full-out commitment to the performance. It was fun to watch which is not something that I think very often when watching Mark dance.

• Love 3

Witney is apparently one of Mark's former students - he put a pretty sweet note up about her on instagram http://instagram.com/p/tB13jYTPM0/?modal=true

I've been impressed with Mark's development as a teacher - he seems to have developed a really nice rapport with his students, evidenced by how easily he's able to put young or uptight contestants at ease. 

Julianne - I'd imagine - has a much different relationship with him, growing up together. They were peers, and while they were partners I can imagine them having a somewhat competitive, one-upsmanship type relationship, instead of one being more nurturing towards the other. 

• Love 2

I liked her so much on SYTYCD. Never understood what about her was off-putting. I think the producer's tried to make that season Lindsay vs. Witney and we were forced to pick sides. I was on Witney's side because I liked her hourglass shape, no other reason. Now on this show, we can like them both!

I actually think my problem with Whitney on SYTYCD - which was also my problem with Lacey - was that, when on that show, they both never had a camera they didn't like.  Both used to face the camera more than their partner, and it annoyed the crap out of me. (But then again, my favorites that year were Amelia and Will, so perhaps Whitney never stood a chance) 

However, neither one does that now, so it doesn't bother me in the slightest - in fact, Lacey is my favorite pro now (which is why I hate that they never use her anymore).  

I do have to say - while I like both Lindsay and Whitney, I think keeping Whitney as the pro and Lindsay in the troupe is the right call.  Whitney is the far superior dancer.

Edited by Princess Sparkle

Witney is an amazing choreographer! I'm watching Gettin Jiggy Wit It again, and she choreographed their final pose so they would keep moving. It was basically slow motion at the end. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5DCLodKu7g

Skip to 1:10 just to see the final pose(s).

Is it possible Alfonso may have had a hand in their ending pose? Also.....maybe in the beginning he may have had some ideas. It was sort of a Hip Hoppish Samba at the beginning and the end pose.

Like many of you, I am so impressed with Witney lately, which is a definitely a big feat for me as I disliked her stint on SYTYCD. I think she may fare better with "older" men as I enjoyed her time with Drew last season too (Cody was an annoying try-hard so I couldn't enjoy that partnership).

She's beautiful, has the "it" factor", produces great choreography, and seems like a complete sweetheart. Sometimes it seems like the show has been trying to find a Julianne replacement over the years (Chelsie, Lindsay, Tyne, etc.) and Witney comes the closest to reminding me of S1 Julianne to some degree (I can no longer stand that woman at all but she was charming in her first season)...but she's obviously wonderful in her own right.

All in all, I am loving the Witney/Alfonso partnership (I still rewatch their jive once a week) so I wish them all the best and pray they can blow the judges away in the coming weeks. Above all, I hope they make it to the finals to hopefully produce a mind-blowing freestyle! The Fresh Prince fan in me kind of needs Will Smith to make an appearance and bust out the apache dance.

• Love 2

Oh yes, the Apache dance. This speaks to me and says Will and Alfonso did not take themselves seriously and were in it for the fun. That is what I'm reading from Alfonso on DWTS too. He's having fun, respects his teacher Witney, and wants to give a good show.

Edited by luvthepros

Again it must be reiterated what a truly wonderful job Witney is doing this season. Alfonso is obviously pretty darn great and deserves praise but I'm so impressed by her choreography skills and overall demeanor. My respect for her has grown by leaps and bounds.

Incorporating that iconic Carlton dance could have been gimmicky and downright corny in the hands of someone else but she did a great job of creating a fully realized story/routine packed with lovely jazz content all the while showcasing the dance in a fun, fresh, SMART way, recapturing the "magic" and nostalgia (Uncle Phil is clapping in heaven). Major kudos. I've watched that routine an embarrassing number of times today - definite highlight of the season so far.

No one does the Carlton like Alfonso himself but she kept up with him! That dance is deceptively hard and has some actual semblance of technique.

Should be interesting to see how she fares with the switch (anyone but Michael please). Maybe she'd be a breath of fresh air to poor Jonathan, who needs a more skilled pro by his side.

• Love 5

I have to echo the Witney love.  I remember not loving her when she first joined the show, but I think it mostly based on things I had heard about her on SYTYCD and people saying she was a spotlight hog.  How Lindsay got the pro job that first season over Witney I'll never know.  Now I'm starting to think I was crazy because I really love her.

Last season I don't think she was strict enough with Cody, but he was never going to be great anyway.  She showed her skill with Drew however and now here she is killing it.  Alfonso is the type that would probably do well with anyone, but TPTB actually got it right for once.  I think this was the perfect pairing for Alfonso and Witney is killing the choreography.

I'm really hoping as we progress the judges and everyone else start to give Witney the kudos she deserves.  I know she got some praise for the jive routine Week 1, but that jazz routine could have been a gimmicky mess in another pro's hands.  I also love how quickly Alfonso jumps to praise Witney.

The other thing that is really fun to watch is Witney's reactions to everything.  Because she's still new to all this and this is her first real season with a contender she just lights up when things go the way they did last night.  I love how excited she is over the whole thing.

• Love 1

I'm loving Witney as well. I liked her when she was on SYTYCD, so I'm glad  to see her doing well on this show. Her choreography has been on point and has been really fun to watch. She and Alfonso are adorable together. I'm really rooting for them to take the title. If they win, will Witney be the youngest pro to win the show? I haven't seen every season and don't pay attention to the pros ages, so I don't know. But I do know that Witney's about 20 years old or so.

Should be interesting to see how she fares with the switch (anyone but Michael please). Maybe she'd be a breath of fresh air to poor Jonathan, who needs a more skilled pro by his side.

I'd like to see her paired up with Tommy. I don't know why. I think they'd be hilarious together maybe. Johnathan would be my second choice though.

I'm loving Witney as well. I liked her when she was on SYTYCD, so I'm glad  to see her doing well on this show. Her choreography has been on point and has been really fun to watch. She and Alfonso are adorable together. I'm really rooting for them to take the title. If they win, will Witney be the youngest pro to win the show? I haven't seen every season and don't pay attention to the pros ages, so I don't know. But I do know that Witney's about 20 years old or so.

I'd like to see her paired up with Tommy. I don't know why. I think they'd be hilarious together maybe. Johnathan would be my second choice though.

Second youngest; Julianne was 19 when she won with Apollo.

I'm really hoping for a Witney/Jonathan pairing.  Jonathan got so screwed by being partnered with Allison, and he's gone from looking like he was having fun being on the show, to looking completely over it in only 3 weeks.  The first week I thought that, while not one of the better dancers, he might have potential as a decent middle-of-the-packer.  This week I thought he came in dead last---even freaking Waltripping outdanced him. 

Witney's been a revelation this season.  Her choreography has easily been among the best every week.   She's sparkly, and she seems to understand how to help her partner have fun too.  Odds are looking very good that she'll take home the MBT this season, deservedly so.  It would be nice if Jonathan could have at least one good week on the show before getting the boot.

• Love 3

I was impressed with Witney from the moment she stepped onto the SYTYCD stage for her original audition. Nigel went ga ga over her. I know she has a history of loving the camera but, to be fair, the camera loves her too. This DWTS season, she has settled into the role of nurturing pro (as if Alfonso really needs nurturing, LOL) and is really bringing another side of herself for all to see. I'm happy for Witney that folks are seeing this other side of her. She is a skilled choreographer besides an exciting dancer. She is making Alfonso really shine this season and I thank her with all my heart.

Edited by luvthepros
  • Love 1

Eh,  Alfonso dances like Joey Fatone. 

No way. Have you seen Alfonso tap when he was a kid? Take a look at a clip from the Tony Awards featuring a number from "The Tap Dance Kid". Alfonso was an incredible tapper.....a dance style I think is not in Joey Fatone's repertoire. Alfonso is much more talented in dance than Joey Fatone could ever hope to be. Just my humble opinion, of course.

Edited by luvthepros
  • Love 2

No way. Have you seen Alfonso tap when he was a kid? Take a look at a clip from the Tony Awards featuring a number from "The Tap Dance Kid". Alfonso was an incredible tapper.....a dance style I think is not in Joey Fatone's repertoire. Alfonso is much more talented in dance than Joey Fatone could ever hope to be. Just my humble opinion, of course.

He danced Flamenco like Joey danced paso doble.   

I love that Alfonso and his family have really seemed to welcome Witney into the fold.  It's very cute, as is Alfonso's son.

Same here! I noticed on one of the pictures of them together at the party that Alfonso posted on Instagram that Witney's mom thanked him and his wife for taking such good care of her and being her 2nd family.

• Love 1

It also appears that Alfonso got Will freaking Smith to wish Witney a happy birthday. So sweet! Great to know that Alfonso and Will are still close (crossing my fingers for Will's appearance on the show just once this season, hopefully in a freestyle).

She is clearly having a blast this season! I don't usually care to pay too much attention to the social media antics of the pros/celebs most of the time but I adore Witney/Alfonso's partnership both on and off the dance floor. They are pretty much the only reason I'm not bored by this season.

• Love 2

I did not like Witney going into this season.  I could not stand her on SYTYCD, for the same reason expressed by many - she was a total camera hog.  I never felt her connection with a dance partner, because she didn't engage her partner - just the camera.  I thought she was a terrible partner to Cody, and she seemed to be strangely flirtatious with him, while he seemed disinterested.  Finally, I was really ticked that she was getting one of the most anticipated partners this season.  Poor Emma always does a great job, and they keep giving her older men.  Why wasn't Emma given Alfonso, and Witney stuck with Michael?  I guess I felt Witney hadn't earned that spot yet.

Having said that, I am really enjoying her partnership, and it's the only connection I've felt between her and a partner (except the one time with Drew).  As noted above, maybe it helps that Witney isn't so caught up in flirting and playing up to her partner.

I too watched Witney on SYTYCD and didn't like her at all.  I did like her a tiny bit more last season even though I couldn't stand Cody..this season though I can't get over how much I adore her.  Probably a combination of growing up a whole lot and having a fantastic partner.  Its amazing what can happen when the show gets a pairing exactly right. She keeps saying every week on Twitter what a pleasure it is to dance along side Alfonso and she has said he's like her big brother.  It seems she along with his son and his wife have really formed a close bond and a real mutual respect.  

Here's a picture from Jennifer Lopez' Halloween bash last night. Witney's makeup looks amazing!

10355768_857447697613375_254558007938459

I think the difference for me between Witney as just an individual performer and Witney as a pro is how much more selfless she is as a pro. She has to coach and share the stage with her partner. As a non-pro, she was purely focused on what she could bring to the stage and how she could shine as an individual but as a pro her accomplishments are directly tied to how her celeb partner comes off and so because she's forced to give her attention to her partner in a non-selfish way we get to see the more giving parts of her personality. When she was on SYTYCD and even in her season as a troupe member I didn't know if she was capable of giving the limelight to someone else and having to support them through a competition process.

I think for the new pros coming in it's a huge transition for them to move from being a just a performer concerned with their own performance to that of a teacher and guide who is responsible for the showcasing and well being of their celeb partner. I think many ballroom dancers coming up who see DWTS as a goal don't really get that about the show until they are in the show. I like how Witney has taken the responsibilities of being a pro in a really mature way. I've been really impressed with her this season.

Edited by missysays
  • Love 4

I am so incredibly happy for Witney! That was a well-deserved win. She has done a tremendous job with Alfonso this entire season and deserves just as much credit. Obviously Alfonso probably would have done well regardless but this sweet, genuine, fun partnership really worked on so many levels - made the season worth watching for me.

Again, I am astounded by her "transformation" since SYTYCD - never ever ever thought I'd see the day that I'd like and root for her so darn much. She's not much younger than me but I am incredibly proud of her growth. She was wonderful this season and may become one of my favorite female pros. Really excited for her and wish her the very best in future seasons!

• Love 3

Echoing all the "gobsmacked to find myself liking the detestable Witney" talk.  I think her stints on Afterbuzz were helpful to her understanding of how to present herself too.  Cody was impossible - she just couldn't get inside his ginormous ego wall (I don't think anyone would have had much luck with that), but Alfonso was respectful and generous and humble and she really was able to respond to that.  Good for her.

• Love 1

I am so interested in these comments, I had no idea how much she has grown. I have never been able to get into SYTYCD. So I had no idea she had such a big ego on that show. All I knew is that I like her way more than Lindsay.  Lindsay seemed like she just couldn't take it as a pro and broke down a few times. I figured Witney was just more confident.  That gives me a whole new light on her and I'm glad she's grown from that. I think her choreography is top notch. I mean, I think her "signature move" of her choreography is anything side by side in unison, she seems to add that to every dance, but I think she's doing good for being only 20-21.  I'm glad I read all this though, thanks for the backstory.

While Lindsay isn't my favorite, I will say I expect she would be better if given a second chance.  Lindsay and Witney joined the show at the same time, but Witney started in the troupe while Lindsay's first season out was as pro.   Victor Ortiz seems like a nice guy, but he wasn't an easy charge.  Lindsay did struggle a bit.  However since then Lindsay has had three seasons in the troupe to learn the ropes by watching everyone else.  I'm sure she's matured a bit and gotten the hang of how things works at DWTS.  So her approach might be very different the second time around.  

I love Witney, but Witney had a few seasons in the troupe before she got the call up to pro so again, she had the chance to observe and get the hang of it before being thrown to the wolves.  

Mind you I'm not sure if the show has any intention of giving Lindsay another shot though.  Cheryl is definitely out next season so there is an open spot, but I think the show is likely going to give Jenna a try out before giving Lindsay a 2nd chance.  Rumor was that Jenna was going to get a spot this season if Cheryl didn't sign on.

• Love 2

Interesting. I don't know anything about Jenna. It's like she's there in all the dances, but I don't think I've even heard her talk (which is not her fault, so I'll say the producers have never quite showcased her).  Good theory about Lindsay though.

Cheryl is definitely not coming back?  You'd think she'd definitely want to be there for the 10 year anniversary. 

Yes, Chery has announced she was done.  There have been some articles on it and she seemed to be a bit of a mess, understandably at the finale, because it was her last season.  You could see her crying after the opening pro number.   She might come back for like the 10th Anniversary Special or to do a pro number or something, but I don't think she plans to compete again.

I think the show should have at least made an announcement if they knew that Cheryl wasn't coming back. 

I also think that Lindsay should get another chance as a pro.  When Victor was on AfterBuzz, Krysten and the others had a difficult time controlling Victor.  He was all over the place.  He also seemed over it towards the end of the show.  Cody also didn't seem like he wanted to dance unless it was hip-hop.  That's why Witney had more success with Alfonso than Cody.  I think Cody had enough dance ability that he could have done better but he didn't want to work for it.

I saw Witney at the Minneapolis airport last Friday night. It took me a few minutes to realize who she was. She is beautiful and so teeny-tiny. She was with another leggy blonde girl that I didn't recognize. They were both very friendly with the airline employee who stopped to chat with them. Of course, by the time I realized that it was indeed her, my plane was boarding. So I didn't get the chance to talk to her myself. I am curious as to what she was doing in the midwest....

• Love 2