Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E09: Leaky Faucets

A Mexican street festival is held, but it's not all fun and games for the Foster kids when Mat's surprise offends Mariana and Callie has a confrontation that triggers a relapse of her panic attacks. Elsewhere, Mike and Ana try to correct past mistakes.

Well, since most of this episode focused on the various romantic entanglements of the entire teen contingent, about which I really can't bring myself to care, I think it's valid to focus on the really important stuff here:

Teri Polo in a tool belt!  With those arms!  

• Love 8

Well, at least there's only one episode left, that's pretty much the only positive I can come up with. It's as if this show just films all manner of scenes and then pairs them up in the most nonsense of ways.

Perhaps the finale might be interesting, it looks as if Robert is conflicted about severing his rights to Callie, it's about time, at least someone is acting realistically about this whole ordeal for once.

God, this episode just sucked minus Stef and the Stef/Callie scene at the end.

I thought it was incredibly stupid how everyone ended up at the street fair.

Jesus is a gigantic moron. Hayley is scary.

Wyatt went about the Liam thing the wrong way.

No! Noooooooo Brallie! Ew!

Now the Quinns are gonna screw things up for Callie! Ahhhh!

Go Teri Polo!

I think it's valid to focus on the really important stuff here:

Teri Polo in a tool belt!  With those arms!  

YES!!! I KNOW, RIGHT???

Not only Terri Polo in a tool belt, but in a tool belt FIXING THINGS!!! Failing miserably, but oh so hot doing it. Not only all of that, but we also got her in uniform. All of that in one episode nearly made my little lesbian heart explode with joy.

Since I'm a shameless fan girl of hers, I also feel the need to point out that I loved all of her scenes in general, but especially when it's all about Stef and Lena. They make my heart happy. =)

The Callie/Stef scene was pretty great too...they really are a lot alike. I'm so incredibly glad that Callie is finally getting some therapy, and what seemed like good, constructive therapy too.

Lastly, I miss Jude. I miss Lena too, but at least we got to see her.

• Love 3

Teri Polo was SO great in this episode. Her end scene with Callie was just magic. Stef's quiet sweetness and calling her "my love" - Callie needs that so badly. 

The Mike-Brandon scene was also excellent. Good to see Mike's love for his son, his desire to see Brandon whole - not weighed down by pain and guilt. Seems like he really, really wants to have a close and healthy relationship with Brandon.

The Lou character just makes me roll my eyes. Wyatt is immature, desperate - good for Callie for walking away. 

Was that a tattoo on Jesus' side, or did Hayley actually BRAND him with her signature? Yikes! 

I didn't think the episode was that bad, I thought that while there was a lot of stuff with the various romantic pairings of the children a lot of important things happened.  We finally got to the root of Callie's mistrust of Wyatt I think.  He's not equipped to be the kind of support that she needs right now and she is unable to bend enough to really see the effort that he is putting in.  I feel so bad for Wyatt and I kind of hope that they break up instead of all this constant fighting.

Brandon and Mike finally apologized to each other, I feel like it's a good step forward for them to get past the whole Dani situation.  Brandon is sort of moving forward with Lou but I feel like his actions are telling her he still cares about Callie as more than a sister.

Mariana is getting in touch with her roots and I am coming around to Matt.  He seems to be really trying to get to know the real Mariana underneath the fakeness and blonde hair. 

I love that Stef finally broke down over the baby.  It had been coming for a long time and I'm glad that Lena was there for her.

As for Jesus.  There is something seriously wrong with that boy.  I don't know if he is off his meds or if Hayley is controlling him with sex and empty promises but that tattoo was ridiculous.  I thought she may have been abusing him and to be honest that would have been more interesting.  You don't see an abused boyfriend storyline like ever and at least bruises fade.  Tattoos are kind of forever.  Just wow.

Edited by blugirlami21
  • Love 2

The Mike-Brandon scene was also excellent. Good to see Mike's love for his son, his desire to see Brandon whole - not weighed down by pain and guilt. Seems like he really, really wants to have a close and healthy relationship with Brandon.

I forgot about this in the midst of all my Terri Polo induced squealing, but I thought this was great too. I really enjoy Mike and hope that he and Brandon get to form that close bond. This might sound crazy, but I actually really like him and Ana helping each other through the program too. If it keeps going the way it seems like it is, I think they could really be a strong support figure for each other.

Edited by SparklesBitch

I'm in the minority because I liked this episode. Except for Jesus the terminally stupid, focusing on these pairings allowed the show to finally focus on what they had been dancing around for while now.  

• Mariana and the new guy was interesting because she finally called him on his bossiness, but also finally voiced some of her insecurities. This could have some potential if it continues in that direction.
  • The whole Wyatt/Brandon/Liam/Callie fiasco no only underscored that Callie and Wyatt are better friends than anything, it also painfully underscored that Brandon is not over Callie. Which is sad because...
  • The Stef/Callie scenes ever more dramatically showed that what Callie needs is a family.  More than ever I *really* wish there wasn't a need to 'ship Brandon & Callie. Callie as a character has so much more growing & healing to do that the thought of weighing that down with an unnecessary teen love storyline just bugs.
  • I even liked the Mike/Brandon scenes. I almost didn't mind Ana tonight. (As long as they don't become a couple.) It was nice to see Mike own up to his own failing as a parent, and reach out to Brandon.
  • Downside was Jesus being Jesus, arranging a booty call and then trying to cover. The tattoo was just the icing on the stupid cake.

The breakfast scene where Stef let the kids know she and Lena were aware they had a party while they were away was funny. Overall I have liked the pacing of this season much more than last season. Callie still has issues, but it feel less like a dogpile on her. Now they need to bring back Jude cause I'm really stating to miss the little guy.

• Love 3

Well, if they're going to stage "teen bait" stories about twu luv for the younguns, at least they're paying the lesbian toll by putting Stef in butch gear and having her flaunt her toolbelt. If I'm going to sit through adolescent romance, it's only fair! And God Bless Teri Polo for embracing the role wrench, belt, and towel!

I hoped Brandon was telling the truth when he said it wasn't about Callie. He's still dealing with the Dani fallout, and whatever anyone says about who was responsible in that situation, he still doesn't trust himself or his judgment and he has weird guilt and shame stuff going on. Boy is confused. But then they showed the stupid promo and I had to worry they really are going to disappoint me once again.  Here's what I hope, though: Robert tries to stop the adoption, and it becomes very clear that he and his nice but prissy wife are simply not the best environment for her. They have no idea how to deal with her issues, are completely out of their depths, and all you have to do is look at how they've raised Sophia to see that their orderly existence has no room for the complexity of adding Callie to the mix.

So she eventually does make it back to the Adams-Foster household, and not because he just didn't care, or was a cold-hearted shit worried about preserving his estate from riffraff, but because DNA doesn't make a family; love does, like they've been saying all along. And Lena and Stef are simply a good match, and always have been, for the Jude and Callie siblings.

I don't see why Ana can't write a letter to the kids, even if she can't see them. Why does she have to do it in person? Part of making amends is looking for the way that is best for the people you hurt, not the way you personally want the most. She and Mike were acting like she couldn't apologize if she couldn't meet face to face, and that's crazy.

Mike is confused if he thinks he should have fought for custody. He in fact could not have handled it. He can't even handle it now; how the hell was he going to handle it when he was full time boozing?

I like that Mariana is finding her voice. I still think her boyfriend is way too much of a control freak, he's trying to fix her, not trying to get to know her. It's irksome. He never just approaches her like a peer.

I couldn't tell if that was a tattoo on Jesus or if Hayley actually carved her name into him. I guess it was a tattoo because that's why they showed the tattoos earlier in the episode, but Hayley's so nuts that I really wouldn't be surprised if she wanted a scar, not just ink. That said, she was kind of right about him looking at her for sex and nothing else. I'm not sure if he's really ever shown any interest in anyone (or anything) outside of the physical, though. He's kind of a meathead. Loved him throwing Stef's heterosexual house rules in her face and her lobbing it right back to him, though. But, it's kind of sad that actually I don't think he has any male friends he hangs out with either, now that I think about it.

Callie's therapist saying she needs to learn to trust herself got me thinking. I bet she turned off her ability to read signs because when all the signs are bad, what can you do? Knowing when you have no options is painful. Kidding yourself can at least give you some respite from the despair.

The canceling of a burial struck me as a very "only on TV" moment.

Jude and Lena are back next week. Hallelujah!

Edited by possibilities

Stef is my favorite character in this show always and forever. 

Callie's therapist saying she needs to learn to trust herself got me thinking. I bet she turned off her ability to read signs because when all the signs are bad, what can you do? Knowing when you have no options is painful. Kidding yourself can at least give you some respite from the despair.

That's...wow. Yeah, probably exactly that.

I miss Jude! But I do like the idea of sending Lena away for awhile. Her character would be so overwhelmed by grief, there would be no way to really write that into the show without it taking over everything. To be fair to the portrayal of the character and not kill plot movement, they had to send her off to deal with it away from everyone. (well, everyone except Jude, who probably collects her tears and transforms them into fuzzy rainbows that hug her until she feels better) 

Here's what I hope, though: Robert tries to stop the adoption, and it becomes very clear that he and his nice but prissy wife are simply not the best environment for her. They have no idea how to deal with her issues, are completely out of their depths, and all you have to do is look at how they've raised Sophia to see that their orderly existence has no room for the complexity of adding Callie to the mix.

So she eventually does make it back to the Adams-Foster household, and not because he just didn't care, or was a cold-hearted shit worried about preserving his estate from riffraff, but because DNA doesn't make a family; love does, like they've been saying all along. And Lena and Stef are simply a good match, and always have been, for the Jude and Callie siblings.

I agree. I honestly don't see Callie functioning well at all in Robert's household based on how they have raised Sophia alone. But also because of Callie's various issues, none of which Robert and family know about. I also see her having an extremely hard time being away from Jude. She has such a fierce love for that kid. I think Robert will definitely put a stop to the adoption(for now) but I see Callie fighting it tooth and nail. How much turmoil are they going to keep putting this girl through? And it especially grosses me out if this is just all about having a convenient plot device for why Stef/Lena can't adopt Callie so they can prop Braille from here to eternity.

I do not like Mariana's guy at all. He is a little too self-important hipster for me. The same goes for that pretentious musician they are trying to pair Brandon with. 

• Love 1
I thought she may have been abusing him and to be honest that would have been more interesting.  You don't see an abused boyfriend storyline like ever and at least bruises fade.  Tattoos are kind of forever.  Just wow.

Actually, I think this is exactly where they're going, just with a different, more subtle type of abuse. Hayley's using manipulation and emotional tactics to basically get what she wants. I could see her working her way up to physical abuse, but right now it's more mental/emotional. She hasn't appreciate Jesus' attempts, no matter how lame they've been, and she's using sex as an excuse for him to be the one to apologize and beg for forgiveness. Freaking hell, she even manipulated him into getting a tattoo, a process that will be more painful to get reversed! He's a stupid teenage boy, yes, acting on emotions and feelings and sex, but he's also young and can't see the signs of an abusive relationship yet, and this is exactly what Hayley is doing. You can already see him ditching school assignments, and I'll bet wrestling is the next thing to go. I do wonder if Hayley will hit him eventually, though, or if it'll stick to emotional abuse. Either way, I'm actually interested in this. It reminds me of the Dani storyline. I thought she was pointless too and just another piece of useless drama that we had to endure, but it actually started to go somewhere interesting.

I love the Mariana storyline. When she's not doing her dance team storyline, I like her a lot better. I love her and Mat together. He is such an interesting character, and the best love interest to date (although that could change over time). I love how he wanted to bring them both to cultural roots; he really is a sweetheart and I love how he was sharing his own experiences to show her that he understands in a different way. 

Oh, that Stef subplot was glorious. It started off light hearted and comedic and then went into bittersweet, which I liked. I think it was important to show how Stef is dealing with the loss of the baby, and I understand why we can't get more of Lena's perspective right now. 

I like Wyatt, I really do, but I can understand now why him and Callie are better off as friends. I felt more of a friendship vibe this episode, so I hope they at least are friends after all is said and done. I understand Wyatt wanting to protect Callie, and I love how he told Brandon that Callie shouldn't see Liam, but she also shouldn't be the one to leave either. I also understand why Callie is upset with Wyatt. She does need to figure things out for herself and she also needs him to be there for her as a friend/boyfriend and not a protector. It sucks, but I would rather they break up and be friends.

Brandon/Lou are not my cup of tea, personally. I'm not really growing to like Lou at all. Her character is just not doing anything for me so I couldn't care less if she stays next season or not. I think Brandon does need time to figure things out, and I suspect that he and Callie will be bonding over their traumas next episode.

Aww, no Jude and minimal Lena again. I understand both not being around (Hayden being a kid still and Sherri obviously on maternity leave) but I still missed them.

On the plus side, I liked Ana this episode. I think her development has been very interesting and I like the place where she's at right now. It seems Mariana does want to see her again, and I kind of expected her to. She was obviously close with Ana, unable to really break free and I can see why she wants to reach out once more. Jesus, on the other hand, is a tricky one to figure out in terms of Ana. I get the sense that he'd like to separate himself from her but is he willing to meet up with her, especially after what happened the last time? 

• Love 1

I didn't dislike this episode but at the same time, it could have been better. I didn't see the need for Mike and Ana to crash into Mariana at the street fair- they could have saved that run in for the next ep. I would have liked to see Stef actually finding out about what went on at the fair and I would have liked to have seen Brandon and Calie debriefing a little after so much happened. 

I'm glad this ep seems to be the final nail in the Wyatt & Callie romance. I don't hate Wyatt but I hate them together. He's impulsive and just needs way more than she can give. His thought that he would get Liam to leave shows his immaturity. Liam was going to leave because he's such a stand-up, reasonable guy? Yeah it sucks Callie would have to leave when she was having fun but Brandon had the absolute right idea to get her out of there and trying to avoid exactly what she ended up witnessing. Which goes back to what's been telegraphed this entire half of the season- at the end of the day, there's really no triangle because while Wyatt has the best intentions when it comes to Callie, he'll never be what she needs. 

Also the panic attack thing was weird with Callie being skittish and supposedly having frequent panic attacks. That's not what we've seen at all- I was under the impression the panic attack had been a one time thing brought on by the almost sex so I was surprised that it's supposed to have been ongoing when we haven't seen her mention that to Lena/Stef/Brandon/anyone. 

It seems like Brandon & Lou will go nowhere and while that was kind of a waste of precious airtime this season, the scene rang true. He's sort of into her but not in love with her, the timing is bad, it's not about Callie but the shadow of her is ever present and he's a mess. Her being low drama about the whole thing felt true to the little we know about her. And I liked that they never went the predictable route of Callie gets jealous over Lou.

I'm glad that the insipid dance team crap is now tying back to Mariana/Ana as I hoped it would. Unfortunately, Jesus/Haley just continued to be a weak and stupid plot. The less said the better except that i would have happily given their time to any of the other plots. 

Speaking of Ana, the show will totally go there with her and Mike in 2B. I loved the Brandon/Mike scene. That relationship is so layered and the show always gets it just right. Danny Nucci is a total unheralded ace in this cast/  

As usual, Teri Polo was perfection. I missed Jude but at the same time, I didn't feel they had enough times for the stories they were telling this ep so perhaps it was best not to cram Jude in too. Plus, I like that they're not going lightning speed with the Connor plot. 

The preview looks about right for the finale- Robert was never just signing her over because Stef and Lena seem nice and Callie seems happy. I don't think that makes him a bad guy and he looks pretty broken up about hurting her. I don't think Callie will leave the Foster home forever but its been clear from ep 1 or 2 that Brandon and Callie were never going to end up legal siblings. And yes, I squealed like a teen shipper when they teased Callie going in for that kiss. This isn't the right time or the right situation for her to be deciding if she wants to go back down that path-- and I suspect Brandon will realize that and stop it. But I love knowing that it's not done. ((ducks)). 

Edited by GildedLily

Sigh. So I see the show is going ahead with its plan to torpedo Wyatt to prop up Brandon. I wouldn't care about Wyatt and Callie breaking up if it didn't effectively remove another barrier to Brallie. 

And speaking of Brandon, I really don't know what that other girl sees in him. The thirst was real.

I kinda hate Mat too. He's just such a patronizing twerp.

Then there's Mike, who completely overstepped by ambushing Mariana with Ana.

And let's not even speak of Jesus.

Wow, the guys on this show are really batting a thousand this week, lol. I know it's bad when Brandon and his hangdog expression are the most tolerable of the bunch... but he still sucks because of the whole love triangle.

But at least we got that great Stef/Callie scene near the end. Love those two together. 

Edited by galax-arena

I do not like Mariana's guy at all. He is a little too self-important hipster for me. The same goes for that pretentious musician they are trying to pair Brandon with. 

Me neither! Even though he said he didn't take her to the fair to immerse her in her culture, I couldn't make myself believe him. However, I did like hearing what she had to say (about hating her culture due to her birth mom); it adds a new layer to how she's been behaving. I'm worried Mike and Ana might get together, which would be a huge disaster (for them and for the family). Maybe in the future, it would be a nice little pairing but right now, no.

Well, I will say that I felt for Jesus a little more in this episode... he was quite skittish during the kitchen scene and I don't think it was because he was excited about spending time with Hayley, I think he was scared of what would happen if he had to cancel. When he went into the bathroom, I thought they were going to suggest he had a bruise... a tattoo, geez. Hayley is emotionally manipulative and I wonder if it'll escalate into physical abuse if someone doesn't step in.

Disappointed that Callie and Wyatt broke up but I'm hoping they can eventually become friends because I like their dynamic. What's really annoying about their breakup, though, is that it means Brallie's coming back full force. I knew it was always in the cards but come on. Couldn't even wait a few episodes, eh? That scene with Callie and Stef proved, yet again, why Callie needs to be a part of the family (as a daughter, not a girlfriend of their son, or daughter-in-law). And the scene with Mariana and Callie discussing clothes was great, too... they make such good sisters.

As for the promo for the finale, if they want to experiment with Callie living with the Quinns, fine, because they'll all realize that it's not the best place for her. They won't be able to turn her into a perky robot like Sophia, not after her time with the Fosters (who advocate openness and discussion). Looking forward to seeing Jude next week.

Edited by omgsowicked
  • Love 1
Also the panic attack thing was weird with Callie being skittish and supposedly having frequent panic attacks. That's not what we've seen at all- I was under the impression the panic attack had been a one time thing brought on by the almost sex so I was surprised that it's supposed to have been ongoing when we haven't seen her mention that to Lena/Stef/Brandon/anyone.

This bit rings true for me. While the failed attempt at sex may have triggered a major attack. Callie hasn't really dealt with the whole rape situation and it's not uncommon for someone prone to panic attacks to have smaller ones, especially now that she's trying to deal with things in therapy. That rawness and vulnerability may be lying just underneath the surface, causing her to doubt herself in certain situations. 

Mariana's response concerning Frida Kahlo was hilarious.  She is not the sharpest.  Seriously, that reminded me of the golfers on ESPN who could not name The Beatles.  Her poor date had to be thinking that is Frida Kahlo.  When people see something by or about Frida Kahlo while on a date, they are going to see what the other person thinks.  She is only one of the most fascinating artists of the last 100 years. 

This show needs to move on from the tired, chemistry free Brandon/Callie crap. 

Edited by dohe
I still think her boyfriend is way too much of a control freak, he's trying to fix her, not trying to get to know her. It's irksome. He never just approaches her like a peer.

This. It's like he views her as a project. I don't get the sense that he sees her as an equal and on his level. 
  • Love 3

This bit rings true for me. While the failed attempt at sex may have triggered a major attack. Callie hasn't really dealt with the whole rape situation and it's not uncommon for someone prone to panic attacks to have smaller ones, especially now that she's trying to deal with things in therapy. That rawness and vulnerability may be lying just underneath the surface, causing her to doubt herself in certain situations. 

All of your points are totally valid. I just wish the show had played this once or twice in previous eps. Tonight I just felt like they wanted her in fragile flower mode for the Liam appearance so conveniently  we're being told (instead of having been shown) it's an ongoing thing.

Edited by GildedLily

Mariana's response concerning Frida Kahlo was hilarious.  She is not the sharpest.  Seriously, that reminded me of the golfers on ESPN who could not name The Beatles.  Her poor date had to be thinking that is Frida Kahlo.  When people see something by or about Frida Kahlo while on a date, they are going to see what the other person thinks.  She is only one of the most fascinating artists of the last 100 years.

Yeah, I was kind of amused by now Mariana was going on about how she doesn't know Frida Kahlo because she wasn't raised in a Mexican household and Mat was basically like, "Uh...she's really famous, dude." He also could have pointed out that in addition to being extremely well-known generally, she's kind of a big deal in LGBTQ circles, and Marianna was raised by gay parents.

However, I have to agree with the folks who don't like the Mariana/Mat dynamic because he doesn't treat her as a peer. He definitely acts like he sees himself as more mature or wiser or more worldly or something. And he may be those things, in fact, but it hardly seems like the basis for a relationship of equals.

Edited by smrou
  • Love 1

I liked this ep a bit better than the last one, but it certainly wasn't a home run. Callie's continued panic attacks felt plot pointish. I also thought Lou's behavior was inconsistent. She was cool and distant to Brandon and all of a sudden she wants to jump his bones. Good on Brandon for turning her down (for now at least). I am over Jesus. I don't feel badly for him. I just want him to go away. Stand out scenes for me were Stef/Callie and Brandon/Mike.

All of your points are totally valid. I just wish the show had played this once or twice in previous eps. Tonight I just felt like they wanted her in fragile flower mode for the Liam appearance so conveniently  we're being told (instead of having been shown) it's an ongoing thing

.Perhaps,but I just saw it as an ongoing issue due to Callie dealing or not dealing with her issues. She tried running from them by submerging herself into the drama at Girls United, and that didn't work.  So she's back home and in therapy which has brought everything to just below the surface. It just seems like a natural progression of her trying to sort things out.

It's probably because I am not terribly taken with Stef and Lena in general, I don't dislike them but they did raise Brandon, Marianna, and Jesus and those kids aren't exactly the most glowing examples of great parenting, imo, but for me I just think Robert adds some much needed depth to Callie's story, which was so over the top cheesy and predictable before and rather ridiculous I never much cared for it or her.

To me there's no way a girl with her baggage would this smitten with a foster family, not after "just six months", especially with all that was gong on. I could get her wanting to open up and trust and be loved and cared for but it just became like some sort of a LMN special halfway through season 1. This season I think in fact they didn't do enough with the Quinn angle, but the finale makes me think it could contain some nice work from Kerr, who in turns seems to help lift the young actress who plays Callie in their scenes.

• Love 2

To me there's no way a girl with her baggage would this smitten with a foster family, not after "just six months", especially with all that was gong on.

I 100% agree that it's unrealistic and it kind of bugs a little that she's so receptive to the family's "love" at this point: pet-names, hugging, kisses, calling Stef and Lena "Moms" like the others...these people were strangers to her six months ago; plus, she dated Brandon. 

It also bugged me that Jude called Lena "Mom" so soon after the adoption.

I 100% agree that it's unrealistic and it kind of bugs a little that she's so receptive to the family's "love" at this point: pet-names, hugging, kisses, calling Stef and Lena "Moms" like the others...these people were strangers to her six months ago; plus, she dated Brandon.

It also bugged me that Jude called Lena "Mom" so soon after the adoption

It's as if the show was put on fast forward and suddenly the kids "adapted" just like that, in "just six months", and to me it was their way of taking the easy road out. I don't see why they had to skim over Callie's trust issues, and abandonment issues, and father issues, or Jude's, just so that they could embrace this new foster family. They could have gotten close to Lena and Stef and their kids but make it believable, imo, why put such a rush job on it? It reminded me of some of the same bs Seventh Heaven would pull at times, and how I loathed that show...

I really feel as if that's been a weakness with this show from day one, they rush everything, everything has to "work out just right", in record speed time, it doesn't lend well to good, or believable, storytelling, imho.

Nothing to add to Teri Polo's hotness. Perfection!

I liked that they addressed Brandon's confusion. He is realizing that what happened to him was not consensual, that he was manipulated, and he is freaking out.
I agree with possibilities about the need Ana feels to meet the kids to apologize.

It also bugged me that Jude called Lena "Mom" so soon after the adoption.

I agree. Callie is hurt, bruised by the events her life. She was juvie, she wasn't supposed to trust people so easily, not even - or maybe especially - very loving people. She was supposed to be overprotective of Jude, even if he seems happy and adapted. The girl has PTSD from rape and apparently unresolved issues with her mother's death. Again, super resilient Callie - not realistic

I don't mind Jude being attached tough. He is a young kid, in a way younger than his years, and he has been sheltered. He is sweet and needy, kind and wants to please. I can see him being very attached to a loving family an eager to be part of it

Enough of couch psychology of not real people :)

• Love 1

It's probably because I am not terribly taken with Stef and Lena in general, I don't dislike them but they did raise Brandon, Marianna, and Jesus and those kids aren't exactly the most glowing examples of great parenting, imo, but for me I just think Robert adds some much needed depth to Callie's story, which was so over the top cheesy and predictable before and rather ridiculous I never much cared for it or her.

To me there's no way a girl with her baggage would this smitten with a foster family, not after "just six months", especially with all that was gong on. I could get her wanting to open up and trust and be loved and cared for but it just became like some sort of a LMN special halfway through season 1. This season I think in fact they didn't do enough with the Quinn angle, but the finale makes me think it could contain some nice work from Kerr, who in turns seems to help lift the young actress who plays Callie in their scenes.

I don't mind having Robert around as a character(temporarily anyway this cast is bloated)but I just don't buy that Callie is going to thrive any better under his roof than with the Fosters. Especially with all of Callie's issues, that the Quinn's still don't know about. Callie is not Sophia. I think the Quinns are going to have a harder time deaing with Callie than Stef and Lena given their immense privilege, parenting style and lack of knowledge of her problems. Coupled with the fact that Callie is just not going to do well leaving Jude again. The writers are probably going to give it a shot though before eventually telling us that Callie is better off living with the Fosters. 

I still just kind of hate this storyline period because I feel like this is all writer manipulation in order to prop Braille. A pairing I am not particularly fond of for various reasons. The Quinns just seem like one big excuse as to why Callie can't be adopted so she can eventually date Brandon which is just gross to me. Even if I liked Braille, it still annoys me to no end when writers pull pandering bullshit storylines for the benefit of shippers. And I can't shake the feeling that they are going to eventually use Brandon's rape as a way to draw him and Callie closer together when she finds out and that kind of infuriates me a little bit. It's just icky to me.

Edited by Turkish
  • Love 2

I don't mind having Robert around as a character(temporarily anyway this cast is bloated)but I just don't buy that Callie is going to thrive any better under his roof than with the Fosters. Especially with all of Callie's issues, that the Quinn's still don't know about. Callie is not Sophia. I think the Quinns are going to have a harder time deaing with Callie than Stef and Lena given their immense privilege, parenting style and lack of knowledge of her problems. Coupled with the fact that Callie is just not going to do well leaving Jude again. The writers are probably going to give it a shot though before eventually telling us that Callie is better off living with the Fosters.

I still just kind of hate this storyline period because I feel like this is all writer manipulation in order to prop Braille. A pairing I am not particularly fond of for various reasons. The Quinns just seem like one big excuse as to why Callie can't be adopted so she can eventually date Brandon which is just gross to me. Even if I liked Braille, it still annoys me to no end when writers pull pandering bullshit storylines for the benefit of shippers. And I can't shake the feeling that they are going to eventually use Brandon's rape as a way to draw him and Callie closer together when she finds out and that kind of infuriates me a little bit. It's just icky to me.

Completely agree with this. Just seeing part of the promo pissed me off. Enough with the Brallie. I find it hard to believe that a court would fail to take into account the wishes of a 16 year old and would separate her from a clearly stable home with her brother to place her with a newly found bio dad. If they do take her out of the Foster home to place her with the Quinns, I think it would cause the same storyline issues as with Girls United: too much of Callie in her own scenes separate from the rest of the Fosters. While I really liked Girls United (especially the first time), I thought that the show suffered from having Callie apart from the family. (In much the same way that it suffers from having Jesus off in his own storylines.)

I just don't buy that Callie is going to thrive any better under his roof than with the Fosters

And as I've mentioned, I don't think there's been nearly enough time for her to have connected so well with the Fosters just yet; I'd say that had just as much to do with her potential coupling with Brandon as anything else has.

Obviously the Fosters are the core family of the show and the end game parents, but I think the show has skipped over and ignored plenty of realistic challenges, interesting challenges, to make Callie fit in with this family, and Jude as well. Perhaps it's because of my own background with teens and the adoption/fostering process, but Callie's placement with the Fosters has seemed more after school special than much else, especially in such a short amount of time.

Also I wouldn't say Lena and Stef were terribly prepared for Callie's issues in the beginning and there's still plenty she's dealing with that they haven't yet touched on. They didn't just take her back with open arms after her little run away stunt to go and find her dad in prison, for example, they were willing to leave her in the system because of their uncertainty about her.

I have no idea what the show intends to do with the Quinn family, honestly I don't think just because they have money and have never dealt with a young girl like Callie means they can't, if anything their wealth means they could spend more time with Callie, afford a really good therapist for her, though I know none of that will happen because this show is a teenage soap opera but still. And of course there is the issue of Jude as well.

But as far as I saw Lena and Stef had to learn how to cope with being parents to Callie too, they made mistakes with her and had to learn from them, they didn't just "know" what to do with her, in fact often times they struggled with the idea of keeping her and taking her on full time, especially when they found out about her and Brandon, so to me the idea of the Quinn family going through the same isn't beyond the realm of possibility, I know not to expect anything special regardless though, as usual.

Honestly I think Callie would do best having both families in her life to raise her, not just because of biology but in general the more people you have in your life to love you, to care about you, who want you and want whatever is best for you, that's never a bad thing, especially coming from such a trouble background as Callie has.

If anything I hope that is a message the show might convey in the end of all this, that whether you have biological parents or foster/adoptive parents, love is love and learning to trust in it and the people who love you is all that matters in the end. Callie's main issue, imo, has always been to trust fully, with her whole heart, that she deserves to be happy, and I think if Robert and the Fosters come together to work together they can help her finally achieve that goal.

• Love 1

The timeline is the biggest misstep I think the show made.  I too have no issue with Jude calling them "Mom" so soon because it does fit with his personality and age, but taking into account all that has happened to everyone on this show, not just Callie, that 6mth timeline reads false. I'd have even been okay with it being 9 mths, but honestly a year would have made more sense. At this point I just concede it's part of buying into the story and go with it

• Love 1

I guess I just see the purpose of The Quinns as just a manipulative plot device to keep Callie from being formally adopted by the Fosters for an extended period of time and that's why I'm not enjoying this storyline. They had already given Callie bio-parents then retconned that by saying "Oh, your dad is not really your dad. It's this rich guy over here!"  Why? If they really wanted to keep Callie from being adopted so soon they could have still done with the guy they originally told us was her dad. And what was the point of making Robert extremely wealthy compared to the Fosters or Callie's bio-dad? Is it just to beat us over the head with the lesson that just because someone has money it doesn't mean they are the best parent for you and "love makes a family", etc? I probably just answered my own question there because I think that's what they are eventually aiming for after they get done stringing the Braille shippers along for a while. They wouldn't be beating us over the head with the fact that Sophia seems unhappy living that lifestyle if they weren't ultimately heading in that direction.

I need to know more about how Sophia was raised to make a proper judgement on that though. So far what I'm getting from all the Quinn scenes is that the mom is very controlling in terms of the expectations she has of Sophia. I can't get a good read on what type of parent Robert is to her. It wouldn't surprise me if she were mostly raised by nannies when she was younger as well as is often the case with kids who come from extreme wealth.

Even if this show does go the route of Brandon and Callie being able to date because she won't technically be a Foster and/or possibly not living in their house anymore, all parents involved should STILL vehemently object to the idea. I won't find it realistic if they don't. Stef and Lena are still trying to force this idea that Brandon and Callie can co-exist in that house as siblings without properly dealing with the fact that the two are attracted to each other and it's one of the things that has seriously annoyed me since Callie came back to the house. Removing her from the household does not change that IMO. Even if it's for a short period of time. The endgame is still going to be for Callie to end up back in that household permanently at some point anyway. It's going to be the elephant in the room for the entire series. 

Edited by Turkish

I thought the guidance the therapist gave Callie about needing to learn to trust herself again was lovely, but boy was that a misstep to have her tell Callie there had been signs about Liam. Not good counseling! Talk about making a kid feel like her own rape was partly her fault for not paying enough attention. Yikes.

Jesus's tattoo. That's a massive infection waiting to happen. It was blood red!

More than ever it's clear Callie needs a family more than a teen romance and yet they just won't quit.

Teri Polo and her toolbelt. I'm still drooling. She was also hilarious about the whole burial thing. I mean it was completely inappropriate but it cracked me up.

• Love 1

I enjoyed the episode more than I thought that I would after watching the promos. Loved the Callie/Stef scene at the dining room table when they both reacted to Mariana the same way -- and the second scene in the bedroom, which I thought was perfect. Loved Stef breaking down over Frankie and finally dealing with her loss. Teri Polo, her toolbelt and her arms - wow. Still missed Lena but I thought that the Skype scene worked well.

So glad that they finally had Callie go to individual therapy for the rape. it is about time. The Stef/Callie scene reinforced that Callie really needs the reassurance and guidance of a forever family - she doesn't need to forego that for a teen romance at age 16. I will be so pissed if they use the Quinns as a fake roadblock so that Brandon and Callie can have True Love. Not the show I am interested in watching.

Having Ana being hidden in the house with Mike when Brandon came to visit reminded me of Mike/Dani. I hope that they are not foreshadowing a Mike/Ana relationship because that would be too weird. I did like that Mike came to Stef and alerted her of the accidental meeting with Mariana. Speaking of Mariana, I love the Callie/Mariana sisterly connection and the easy banter between the entire family at the kitchen table. I like this part of the Mariana cultural background storyline minus the dance team. Looking forward to seeing her meeting with Ana.

Could care less about Hayley/Jesus except for that stupid tattoo which is going to cause an eruption from Stef and Lena. I think that they could do so much more with Jesus. He comes off as dumb as a bunch of rocks.

Lou throwing herself at Brandon and being rejected was interesting. I don't feel as though we know enough about Lou to care however. I loved the Brandon/Mike scene, which I thought was terrific. Mike has really grown on me as a character. I think that Danny Nucci does a good job.

I missed Jude.

We finally got to the root of Callie's mistrust of Wyatt I think.  He's not equipped to be the kind of support that she needs right now and she is unable to bend enough to really see the effort that he is putting in.  I feel so bad for Wyatt

I was heartbroken for Wyatt last night, and it pissed me off that all of Callie's anger about the fight was directed at him and not at all at Brandon. Give me a break! I do want Wyatt to remain in her life as a friend because, well, I f*cking love Wyatt.

I see where you guys are coming from re: Mat and his rather patronizing and controling ways, but y'all I'm sorry to admit - I'm totally a Mat. Pedantic to a fault (his comment about flamenco being Spanish and not Mexican made me LOL); a know-it-all that thinks they know best about what others need - so I get him and really like him with Marianna. I thought their scenes together last night were pretty great. 

This was an episode where Teri Polo outshined everyone else. What she did with Stef was perfection.

I have a weird feeling that Ana is going to try and abduct Jesus and Mariana.  Her trying to make amends with them is too little, too late.  I hope that Mike and Ana don't get together. Another weird relationship that we do not need to see play out.  The Brandon/Wyatt scene where they were trying to protect Callie was nice. I hope that justice for Callie happens.  Why are the Quinns' trying to screw everything up for Callie? The father was never there before, why is he and Sophia trying to jump in and save Callie, when she doesn't really need saving? The moment when Stef broke down over Frankie broke my heart. She will be the gone but never forgotten link to the Fosters. 

This was an amazing season. Can't wait for the season finale. 

I have a weird feeling that Ana is going to try and abduct Jesus and Mariana.  Her trying to make amends with them is too little, too late.  I hope that Mike and Ana don't get together. Another weird relationship that we do not need to see play out.  The Brandon/Wyatt scene where they were trying to protect Callie was nice. I hope that justice for Callie happens.  Why are the Quinns' trying to screw everything up for Callie? The father was never there before, why is he and Sophia trying to jump in and save Callie, when she doesn't really need saving? The moment when Stef broke down over Frankie broke my heart. She will be the gone but never forgotten link to the Fosters. 

This was an amazing season. Can't wait for the season finale. 

It would be a terrible message for Mike and Ana to get together, all around.  They are both in early stage of recovery during which you are not supposed to get into relationships at all (another reason the relationship with Dani was a bad idea apart from who she is as a person) let alone with another early recovery addict. Plus, Mike is helping her with her recovery which has the potential for some serious transference issues.  All of that is on top of the bizarre family dynamic.  SO yeah, NO to Mike and Ana.

Add me to the Stef is Awesome camp.  Her video was adorable and sexy and hilarious all at once.  And her scenes with the kids, obviously the bonding with Callie whom I always love with Stef but in busting Jesus too, were great.  

I hated the Liam related stuff. But I sincerely hope Brandon was truly more reacting to his own rape and his feelings about that than the promo's suggestion of being Callie's hero.  That promo was some bullshit. The idiotic (and inappropriate) teen triangle should not take precedence over the very serious stories of these two rape survivors.  So far the show has stated that the latter is more the focus, but the promo monkeys at ABCFam seem to be determined to push the former.

I miss Lena and Jude.

Alex Saxon has a thankless task as plot monkey in this show. He basically has nothing to do but be ultra-supportive boyfriend waiting offscreen until Callie needs him to come out of his box and do something wrong.

Lena and Stef are great with the (almost) parentless children they have taken into their homes - but Wyatt's vice-principal (and his girlfriend's foster-mom) is not concerned that he has apparently no adult support in his life now?

(I tried watching the MTV show but couldn't get into it. I think ABC Family is the deepest I can go into teen TV world...)

Completely agree with this. Just seeing part of the promo pissed me off. Enough with the Brallie. I find it hard to believe that a court would fail to take into account the wishes of a 16 year old and would separate her from a clearly stable home with her brother to place her with a newly found bio dad. If they do take her out of the Foster home to place her with the Quinns, I think it would cause the same storyline issues as with Girls United: too much of Callie in her own scenes separate from the rest of the Fosters. While I really liked Girls United (especially the first time), I thought that the show suffered from having Callie apart from the family. (In much the same way that it suffers from having Jesus off in his own storylines.)

I did a lot of termination work on the legal end for the State (not in California though) but a court would certainly take Callie's point of view into account but it's not at the point yet of a full fledged custody battle where that would be brought in. It's at the stage of a biological father with a legal claim opting not to sign papers to voluntarily terminate rights so that the adoption can go through uncontested a la what happened with Jude. What would most likely happen (although this is TV so I'm sure they'll veer from that) is that Callie's placement would remain the same while they litigated the contested custody issue and the adoption proceedings would be halted pending resolution.

At the same time, a court isn't going to completely discount the rights of a biological parent who had no knowledge of a child, didn't neglect or abandon a child. Particularly where the father has infinite money, likely political connections in California and good lawyers (it may not be right but it certainly can and does affect things) and the child appears unstable at least on paper and has only been in a placement six months. It's the kind of rare hard case that would really probably depend entirely on the judge and might go another way on appeal by which point she'd be of age.

I guess I just see the purpose of The Quinns as just a manipulative plot device to keep Callie from being formally adopted by the Fosters for an extended period of time and that's why I'm not enjoying this storyline. They had already given Callie bio-parents then retconned that by saying "Oh, your dad is not really your dad. It's this rich guy over here!" Why? If they really wanted to keep Callie from being adopted so soon they could have still done with the guy they originally told us was her dad. And what was the point of making Robert extremely wealthy compared to the Fosters or Callie's bio-dad? Is it just to beat us over the head with the lesson that just because someone has money it doesn't mean they are the best parent for you and "love makes a family", etc? I probably just answered my own question there because I think that's what they are eventually aiming for after they get done stringing the Braille shippers along for a while. They wouldn't be beating us over the head with the fact that Sophia seems unhappy living that lifestyle if they weren't ultimately heading in that direction.

Even if this show does go the route of Brandon and Callie being able to date because she won't technically be a Foster and/or possibly not living in their house anymore, all parents involved should STILL vehemently object to the idea. I won't find it realistic if they don't. Stef and Lena are still trying to force this idea that Brandon and Callie can co-exist in that house as siblings without properly dealing with the fact that the two are attracted to each other and it's one of the things that has seriously annoyed me since Callie came back to the house. Removing her from the household does not change that IMO. Even if it's for a short period of time. The endgame is still going to be for Callie to end up back in that household permanently at some point anyway. It's going to be the elephant in the room for the entire series.

I agree that the rich father our of thin air was very fairy tale soap but I think the point was maybe to give S&L a more formidable opponent for custody than the bio dad who had been in jail and admitted to being a bad father.

I think your point about S&L trying to force B&C into a sibling box is the biggest hole here. And the timeline. In one ep Stef and Lena seemed to be entirely over any concerns about their romantic relationship despite the fact that both of them have been shown to be emotionally volatile at different times and Brandon basically melted down completely following the end of the relationship (although I know there was more to it than callie). It's absurd that in a few short months (thanks wonky timeline), they're comfortable enough about them that they've left them alone overnight together. It doesn't ring true at all to the way these ladies are portrayed to be smart and wise in every other aspect of the show. I could see them letting Callie continue to live there since they did care about her and didn't want her back in the system but I also would have thought they would have pressed pause on the adoption and watched the whole thing for some time.

I agree that the endgame is to get her back into the house permanently. But when you have the actress who plays Callie doing interviews saying she believes she can love Brandon and love Stef and Lena as moms/the Fosters as a forever family, I think it's clear the show is going to leave her legal status in a more grey area probably permanently and wants the audience to see it as less black and white than she's either his girlfriend OR a member of the family. And that's why, at least in part, we have the Quinn's- although I think there's also a story they want to tell with Sophia that is separate from Brallie. And I do think over time and after considerable drama Stef and Lena (probably Lena first) might acquiesce to the whole love is love thing with Brallie. I won't find that unrealistic when the whole show has been about unconventional families and unconventional love that finds you. But probably not until the show is nearing it's end.*

*My perception is colored that I've wanted them as endgame since he sat with her on the bus in ep 1. But I also don't think they're just stringing the shippers along throwing Brallie breadcrumbs at us. I think there's always been a plan that their romance would be a main throughline for the entire duration of the show as opposed to dramatic fodder for a few S1 eps and every interview with the writers, creators and actors that I've seen seems to back that up.

Edited by GildedLily

I was heartbroken for Wyatt last night, and it pissed me off that all of Callie's anger about the fight was directed at him and not at all at Brandon. Give me a break! I do want Wyatt to remain in her life as a friend because, well, I f*cking love Wyatt.

I see where you guys are coming from re: Max and his rather patronizing and controling ways, but y'all I'm sorry to admit - I'm totally a Max. Pedantic to a fault (his comment about flamenco being Spanish and not Mexican made me LOL); a know-it-all that thinks they know best about what others need - so I get him and really like him with Marianna. I thought their scenes together last night were pretty great. 

This was an episode where Teri Polo outshined everyone else. What she did with Stef was perfection.

Completely agree about Wyatt. Flawed though he may be, he's a good friend to Callie. 

As for Matt, I don't mind him as long as Mariana speaks up and calls him on it when he gets too overbearing. I think she needs someone to make her challenge herself instead of always following the crowd, but she doesn't need someone trying to mold her into something else.

• Love 1

I see where you guys are coming from re: Max and his rather patronizing and controling ways, but y'all I'm sorry to admit - I'm totally a Max. Pedantic to a fault (his comment about flamenco being Spanish and not Mexican made me LOL); a know-it-all that thinks they know best about what others need - so I get him and really like him with Marianna. I thought their scenes together last night were pretty great.

I'm a know-it-all also, so it's not like I don't get where Mat (not Max, btw) is coming from and I don't dislike the guy. Actually, taken just on his own I like him quite a lot. And I was very sympathetic to him in last night's episode when Mariana was immediately defensive about him bringing her to the street festival when I think he really did mean nothing by it other than he thought it would be a good time. I just don't see his dynamic with Mariana as one of equals and therefore I don't see a lot of potential there for a good romantic relationship. You can be a know-it-all without treating someone like they're your little sister. If Mariana were more confident in herself I'd probably feel differently, but she's so insecure and is clearly still trying to figure out who she is.

Absolutely. Every scene she was in was fantastic. Edited by smrou

I rather liked this episode. Even though it had a lot of the teen relationships, to me, they were used in interesting ways. With Mariana in particular, I thought the show did a nice job delving into the question of identity. The struggle with finding your identity seems like a pretty common problem for teenagers and I would imagine it's complicated by being adopted, particularly into a family that doesn't share your cultural heritage. To me, from the get go, Mariana has had a tough time finding her place and I think getting some resolution with Ana might really help her.

And I think Callie's relationship with Wyatt is proceeding in an interesting way where I believe the conflict and appreciate the fact that both Callie and Wyatt are doing their best but it's not quite adding up between them. The writers, imo, gave Callie some thoughtful dialogue when she questioned whether Wyatt knows how to take care of her. It's not so much that Wyatt is failing and it's not Callie blaming him, it seems more like a case of they're still both quite young and maybe not equipped to be in a relationship right now. I can't imagine what it would be like to be in a teenage relationship with someone dealing with PTSD. The reality is that plenty of adults can't handle it.

While the Jesus/Hayley relationship skeeves me out, I think that's the point. The girl who plays Hayley, I wonder what she's like in real life because she seems perfect for this role of a girl who is insecure, jealous, manipulative. She's got this nervous demeanor that makes me uncomfortable which seems exactly right. And for all of the Jesus bravado that he roles out (especially when bickering with Mariana), it seems like he's pretty insecure too. The tattoo was pretty horrible, but I could see something like that happening in real life. It's been a while since I was in high school and I wasn't personally prone to relationship drama, but I remember plenty of classmates who had high drama relationships where they felt like the stakes were super high, that they'd do anything to keep the person they were with, even if they weren't sure why they were doing it. Jesus probably realizes he made a mistake with Emma and that puts a lot of pressure on him to try to make it work with Hayley. He's probably thinking if he can make the Hayley relationship work than what happened with Emma isn't so bad.

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I often find myself not a fan of Stef. And yet she's had some great moments over the two seasons and I thought this whole episode was strong for her. Teri Polo and Sherri Saum both play the exasperation of parenthood really well, imo. And I thought it was great how it was one kid after the other with her trying to juggle all of it while also dealing with her own grief. The one thing I thought was a bit missing in her convo with Callie is that she talks about how it's ok to breakdown, but she's never really showed Callie. It's a tough thing because as a parent I don't think you want to put too much weight on the shoulders of your kids, but I think it would help Callie to really see Stef grieve the loss of the baby.

• Love 1

I felt bad for Wyatt for getting pretty much dumped and chastised for going after Liam. I don't care if it wasn't "the right thing to do" I wanted him to pulverize that kid. But I always knew it was only a matter of time before Wyatt and Callie ended.

a) because she has never seemed as into him as he is into her

b)Braille

c) Alex Saxon is pulling double-duty on two shows right now. And good for him BTW.

I don't know what the shooting schedules are like but I would hope they can still find a way to keep Wyatt around in some capacity. He is one of the few guest characters that I actually enjoy immensely. I have very little use for Jesus' revolving door of girlfriends. Or Mariana and Brandon's new love interests. Or all the Girls United characters. Or all the bio-parents popping up out of nowhere. 

I felt bad for Wyatt for getting pretty much dumped and chastised for going after Liam. I don't care if it wasn't "the right thing to do" I wanted him to pulverize that kid. But I always knew it was only a matter of time before Wyatt and Callie ended.

a) because she has never seemed as into him as he is into her

b)Braille

c) Alex Saxon is pulling double-duty on two shows right now. And good for him BTW.

Even as a Brandon and Callie fan and even though I thought Wyatt should have just gotten Callie the hell out of the street fair like B suggested , I felt bad for Wyatt. Callie was pretty harsh and not entirely fair. And I think you're right, them ending was inevitable for those first two reasons. She's never seemed 100% sold on them- not in 1A or 2Aa-and used him doing something that pissed her off to justify ending it. In dumping him kind of for what she thinks is good reason, she then avoids having to feel badly down the line about hurting him/admitting that she's used him not once but twice as a shield against her feelings for Brandon.

I miss S1 Wyatt who was her good friend and who knew she was just not that into him. Maybe down the road, there's a place for that guy on the show. But for now, it's time to rest the character. He's already left and been brought back once for the sole purpose of being Callie's not Brandon love interest. There's nowhere else for him to go.

Edited by GildedLily
I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I often find myself not a fan of Stef

Same here, I am not a fan of how she behaves when she's angry or upset, or the self-righteousness she'll pull out of her backside fairly often, plus some of her parental choices have been quite suspect, imo. Frankly both Lena and Stef annoy me more than they don't, though they can have their moments.

I felt a teeny bit bad for Wyatt in this one and I have never liked his character. He wanted to protect Callie so badly and it didn't work out. I'm not really sure where else the writers can go with Wyatt and Callie. I've never thought he had a chance at winning the "triangle" so his scenes just come off as filler.