Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E18: Umaro Foods; FORT; No Limbits; Apolla

JTMacc99
  • Start Topic

Emma Grede, the CEO of fashion juggernaut Good American and founding partner of SKIMS, returns to the Tank in an all-new episode.

First into the Tank are entrepreneurs from Berkley, California, who hope to bring home the bacon and see change with a healthy alternative to a food that many vegans miss eating. A dad from St. Louis, Missouri, presents his product designed to aid a favorite childhood activity; while an entrepreneur from Iowa City, Iowa, introduces her adaptive clothing line with a mission to increase comfort for those struggling due to a disability. Best friends from Indialantic, Florida, and Clinton Township, Michigan, take it one step at a time when they pitch their product designed specifically to meet a dancer's needs.

In a Shark Tank update, siblings Shirah and Michael Benarde from West Palm Beach, Florida, update their investor Lori Greiner about Nightcap, the drink-spiking prevention scrunchie.

The Sharks in this episode are Mark Cuban, Robert Herjavec, Kevin O'Leary, Lori Greiner and Guest Shark Emma Grede.

(edited)

Sharks are Emma Grede, Kevin, Lori, Robert and Mark

1. Umaro -Bacon Superfood substitute made from seaweed, high in protein, Vegan.   Robert says it's crispy, but the chew is off, and tastes funny, but apparently it's good in a BLT.  They claim they're the first to make seaweed based protein.   This is a prototype, not on the market yet.  Their valuation of $25 million is ludicrous.   The Sharks were dropping out, and now there are four Sharks competing, Lori, Mark, Kevin and Robert.  (I simply don't see the appeal of this product.   And why four Sharks were competing to partner on a product that's not even in production). Mark makes the deal.

2. FORT-Indoor pillow forts, magnets hold them together.   More expensive than competitors, others use velcro, but FORT uses magnets. The forts are $269 each, then went to $499.   Seller gave 40% of the company to someone who works with the factory, and other manufacturing.  My question is who is this aimed at?   The Forts are big, will require storage, so I'm guessing in the huge playrooms some people have.    This is not for everyone, it's expensive, bulky, and I'm wondering how well it stays together?   No deal. 

3. No Limbits-Clothing for adaptive clothing users.   14 million people struggle with disabilities that need adaptive clothing.  They have prosthetic, sensory, and wheelchair lines.   There is reinforcement where a prosthetic would rub through.  What a great product, and so needed.     I can see the full zipper pants adapting for people with arthritis, or other limitations, also.     If someone has a cast on, or a brace, then I think the adaptive wear will be invaluable.   The seller's story was so wonderful, where she had a goal, changed when she had her accident, and now is helping others.    I hope the adaptive clothing will be something that can be legal to deduct for buyers, as a medical aid.    Jeans cost $18 to produce, and resell for $70. Deal with Emma, and Mark.  

4. Apolla Performance-Socks that use targeted compression for arch support, energy absorption, reduce pain, reduce fatigue, give ankle support, and swelling.   Socks are very soft, nylon and polyester.   Selling direct to consumers, and only a 2% return rate, sold more than $1 million a year. Margins are 73%, 52% returning customer rate.   Total sales $4.1 million.   If the socks really deliver the comfort the sellers, and Lori claim, then they're worth the price.   However, they certainly wouldn't get thrown in my washer to disappear either.   Lori makes the deal. 

Nightcap Update (cover for drink to prevent spiking), they're doing great. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Emma was the perfect person to partner in the adaptive clothing line.  Not sure why she wanted Mark, but he is one of the best Sharks to get.  

The fort guy and his magnets…..all I could think about was they were a swallowing hazard.  

• Love 5

Who would spend $500 on cushions to make a fort? You could almost by a new couch for that much. And it looked like a pain in the ass to store. The guy seemed nice enough, but awful product. I did love making pillow forts as a kid though. We had this awesome circle couch that was great for making forts. 

The woman with the adaptive clothing line seemed great. She had great sales, knew all her numbers, and answered every question immediately. Plus her product solves an actual problem rather than some of these ridiculous products that are just a waste of space. Really glad she got a deal.

I don't know enough about foot problems to know if those expensive socks are actually useful.

As a vegetarian, I hate bacon. The smell of it makes me nauseous. Why would I want to eat fake bacon? I guess their product is more for people who are forced to give up meat for health reasons and not people who choose to avoid meat.

• Love 4

I think the same people who buy their children $800 phones would be the ones who would buy the fort cushions.

I haven't eaten meat in 25+ years and I don't miss bacon (or any other meat) at all. Early in their presentation when they said they had a product that "every vegan misses," I thought they were going to say they made cheese because I just can't quit you, cheese. Fake cheese just doesn't do it for me.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Considering that anyone at anytime could become disabled, yes, there is a market for adaptive clothing. Always will be.

Exactly. I'm not sure why Robert seemed puzzled by this. This was one of the best Shark Tank pitches in a long time.

I was surprised that the seaweed bacon people got a deal. There's already multiple soy-based vegan bacon products, and while seaweed is a more sustainable source, is that selling point enough to differentiate their product? Didn't they say that the seaweed bacon had about as many calories as regular bacon? I just don't get it.

• Love 4
57 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

I think the same people who buy their children $800 phones would be the ones who would buy the fort cushions.

Almost every kid you see over 10 has a cell phone & usually the most up to date one at that. No market for this though as they can't show all their friends at school.

I wondered if the clothing line might also appeal to those who are temporarily disabled - in a walking cast, etc.  They look like they could also be worn by non-disabled people, so at a reasonable price point, I could see someone buying them for the short haul.  For me, this is a product fitting a need vs. the opposite, which is what we’ve seen too much of lately.  Really glad she got a deal and glad for the folks her products will help. 

I’m not vegan, don’t have young kids a, and can’t imagine paying $40 for socks.  I did ballet in my youth and could definitely see leggings for ballet dancers, but that’s a niche market.  Maybe Lori can help them cut the price point, in which case I’d definitely give the socks a try.  

• Love 3
(edited)
5 hours ago, dogdays2 said:

I wondered if the clothing line might also appeal to those who are temporarily disabled - in a walking cast, etc.  They look like they could also be worn by non-disabled people, so at a reasonable price point, I could see someone buying them for the short haul.  For me, this is a product fitting a need vs. the opposite, which is what we’ve seen too much of lately.  Really glad she got a deal and glad for the folks her products will help.

I thought about this because I had a very bad foot sprain in 2016. I was in a huge boot for months, so I had to roll my pant leg up to my knee, which stretched out and wrecked all my work pants. If I could've had zippered pants and left the leg partially unzipped, that would've solved the problem, i.e., my regular pants wouldn't have been ruined.

Robert saying, "Aren't there already jeans with zippers?" was ludicrous. These aren't the Jordache jeans I wore in middle school, dumbass.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 9

IDK but the bacon ladies seemed so pretentious... Can't believe they had the gall to ask for 500k for 2% and then later change to 1 million for a PROTOTYPE WITH 0 SALES!! Surprised that none of the sharks called them out on this or that they were too early... I get the idea of eating plant based foods and whatever but they made it seem like they were going to cure cancer with that seaweed... Did they really need to raise that much money?

The fort guy was too nice for his own good. The material on the cushions didn't seem that great.. Looked kinda tacky..

The adaptive clothes lady was super nice and glad she got a deal but I felt that Emma just wanted to make a deal to get the woman's IP on the Adaptive design patent so she could slap it on her own Skims brand (I think she mentioned something that her brand tried making adaptive clothing as well?). Also did she really need Mark? Seems like producers don't like it when guest sharks are in the spotlight & make a good deal on their own without having one of the original sharks be a partner along with them.. (Just a thought I'm sure there are guest sharks that made deals on their own but I can't remember which ones for now)

Don't know zip about compression socks and never tried any but the sock ladies were fine(a teeny bit annoying) but they got a good deal with Lori. 

• Love 2
(edited)

No Limbits* was the kind of product that used to be on Shark Tank all the time—things that actually solved a problem, and the developer didn't have a bajillion dollars in sales already. I miss those days.

*I read it as "lim-bits" with a hard B every time, but it's still a clever name.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 10
8 hours ago, Vanderboom said:

There's already multiple soy-based vegan bacon products, and while seaweed is a more sustainable source, is that selling point enough to differentiate their product? Didn't they say that the seaweed bacon had about as many calories as regular bacon? I just don't get it.

I was immediately annoyed with them when they opened with something like "all vegan substitutes use the same protein". There's soy, tempeh, coconut, jackfruit bacon...probably more. There might not be seaweed bacons out there, but they seemed to be implying they're the second option rather than at least the fifth. They're either intentionally misleading or clueless. Neither's a good look.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, Vanderboom said:

Exactly. I'm not sure why Robert seemed puzzled by this. This was one of the best Shark Tank pitches in a long time.

I was surprised that the seaweed bacon people got a deal. There's already multiple soy-based vegan bacon products, and while seaweed is a more sustainable source, is that selling point enough to differentiate their product? Didn't they say that the seaweed bacon had about as many calories as regular bacon? I just don't get it.

I had to laugh at robert immediately spitting it out 🤣🤣

• LOL 7
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I thought about this because I had a very bad foot sprain in 2016. I was in a huge boot for months, so I had to roll my pant leg up to my knee, which stretched out and wrecked all my work pants. If I could've had zippered pants and left the leg partially unzipped, that would've solved the problem, i.e., my regular pants wouldn't have been ruined.

Robert saying, "Aren't there already jeans with zippers?" was ludicrous. These aren't the Jordache jeans I wore in middle school, dumbass.

Robert definitely came off a bit clueless in that segment. There was that comment and the comment about how many people could need them? I can understand not knowing the exact number of amputees or disabled people in the country, but he just sounded shocked that this could be a thing.

• Love 4
On 4/1/2022 at 8:11 PM, DEL901 said:

The fort guy and his magnets…..all I could think about was they were a swallowing hazard.  

I can't wear a magnetic name tag or any other magnetic jewelry because I have a pacemaker. I can't see how those cushions would be considered safe for me to be anywhere within 6 feet of them. 

I also thought he was the typical "entrepreneur wanna be" who wanted to be on Snark Tank, so he tried to come up with a business idea. Too bad he couldn't think of something that wasn't totally lame, and he lost his shirt in the process.

• Love 1

His ill-fitting shirt.

I just remembered something about the fake bacon (Facon™) segment. Lori picked it up with both forefingers and thumbs and and took a bite of it in the middle, as if eating corn on the cob. Who eats bacon like that?!

• LOL 1

The seaweed women bugged me because they were wearing some sort of bland jumpsuits and I couldn't figure out why.  

Plus their valuation with no sales was ridiculous and there are already many other products like it on the market. 

The couch fort just top expensive, too bulky too much to ship. 

I think they compression socks would be a tough sell at that price. Have to market them right either as a medical supply device or to athletes and dancers. 

• Love 2
On 4/1/2022 at 7:00 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

Apolla Performance-Socks that use targeted compression for arch support, energy absorption, reduce pain, reduce fatigue, give ankle support, and swelling.   Socks are very soft, nylon and polyester.   Selling direct to consumers, and only a 2% return rate, sold more than $1 million a year. Margins are 73%, 52% returning customer rate.   Total sales $4.1 million.   If the socks really deliver the comfort the sellers, and Lori claim, then they're worth the price.   However, they certainly wouldn't get thrown in my washer to disappear either.

They've only sold 120,000 pairs, so it is way too soon to be bragging about their low return rate. I also wanted to know how many times I could put them through the washer and dryer before I would need to replace them. 

Was anyone else thinking of the pilot episode of Bob❤️Abishola?

• Love 1

This episode just served to remind me what women do to themselves. It kind of breaks my heart to see a powerful woman like Lori gushing over how great those socks make her feel when wearing those high heel shoes.  At least it's a show where she's sitting down and doesn't actually have to walk in them.  But I compare her to chrome dome over there sitting in his comfortable suit and flat shoes.

And with a guest shark who apparently made her fortune in girdles shapewear.  For women. 

• Love 4
(edited)

My husband had to get compression socks due to his ankles swelling and the ones the DR recommended were $80.00 a pair. They come in all price points but these seem good. I think the problem is getting non dancers trying these rather than buying cheap compression socks from Target.

The fort thing was way over priced and with another investor eventually owning 40%, I couldn’t see the sharks investing. As someone with severe spinal problems I can see an eventual need for adaptive clothes and was happy that an actual user is making them. I’m also an almost lifetime vegetarian and would have no interest in seaweed bacon.

Edited by Madding crowd
On 4/1/2022 at 10:11 PM, DEL901 said:

I got the impression that they were sewn into the fabric, so unlikely to be accessed by tiny mouths.  Did I miss something?  Because if they are removable then - yeah that's a really bad design.

Nice guy, but crazy expensive!

On 4/2/2022 at 9:37 AM, Vanderboom said:

I think that it was the patents that swung them over.  They have a patent on - I think it was something about extracting the protein from the seaweed - so I think that the idea is that they could use the seaweed to make all kinds of foods, and others wouldn't be able to muscle in on the space because of the patents.

On 4/2/2022 at 10:25 AM, dogdays2 said:

I really liked her and for how this show always wants to promote the sob story angle, I am really surprised that nobody asked her about the accident.  I am pleased that she was able to keep her privacy, but surprised nonetheless - good for her for making a deal.

On 4/2/2022 at 10:25 AM, dogdays2 said:

I’m not vegan, don’t have young kids a, and can’t imagine paying $40 for socks.  I did ballet in my youth and could definitely see leggings for ballet dancers, but that’s a niche market.  Maybe Lori can help them cut the price point, in which case I’d definitely give the socks a try.  

Compression socks are really expensive.  I remember my mother-in-law having to wear them and they were about $35 a pair, and she bought them many years ago, so the price point didn't surprise me at all.  I would wash them like I wash all delicates - in cold water, inside a lingerie bag, and then hang to dry.  You could probably get a fair amount of wear out of them if you took care of them that way.

• Love 1

Agree that COMPRESSION socks can be expensive.  But I didn't see Apolla being marketed as that -- more as super comfy socks.  Part of the problem is finding their market.  Are they specialty socks for certain athletes, such as dancers?  Are they compression socks? Are they super comfy socks that provide extra support in the arch, etc?  Are they what you want to use for a strenuous day (maybe going to an amusement park or on a "fun walk")?

For $32/pair, these aren't going to be your everyday socks (because you don't want to have to wash them daily, assuming they would hold upP).  But you also need people to buy more than 1 or 2 of them.  So, IMHO, it's getting the price down and finding the target audience beyond dancers.  

Thinking of the seaweed deal, can anyone think of a time the sharks invested in a very early concept, such as this and made it big?  (I'm not suggesting it hasn't happened -- probably has -- just curious if someone remembers it.)

• Love 2

From the sock pitch, my interpretation of the need they're trying to fulfill is BOTH: people who need compression socks and people who might otherwise need orthodics. This applies to dancers, athletes, anyone with plantar faciitis for any reason, old injuries that still annoy now and then...etc. Given the cost of compression socks, and orthodics, and other brace type things to stop my foot/ankle from hurting, I think they have a bigger market than athletes and dancers, but their citing the athletes and dancers is a good way to quickly illustrate proof of concept. Then again, I'm clearly part of their target audience. 

• Love 3
13 hours ago, aemom said:

I really liked her and for how this show always wants to promote the sob story angle, I am really surprised that nobody asked her about the accident.  I am pleased that she was able to keep her privacy, but surprised nonetheless - good for her for making a deal.

I really liked that 1)she didn't make it into a sob story and 2)what happened to her was totally relevant to the product and why she created it.

• Love 5
14 hours ago, aemom said:

I got the impression that they were sewn into the fabric, so unlikely to be accessed by tiny mouths.  Did I miss something?  Because if they are removable then - yeah that's a really bad design.

Nice guy, but crazy expensive!

I was thinking that the covers might come off for cleaning which means the magnets would have to be removed before washing.   Also, if the covers do come off, little hands can find a way.  

1 hour ago, DEL901 said:

I was thinking that the covers might come off for cleaning which means the magnets would have to be removed before washing.   Also, if the covers do come off, little hands can find a way.  

Curiosity got the better of me so I looked it up:

image.thumb.png.629a58855d8f7c90565c4cbf7c64bfb4.png

Went to the Fort site to see what colors this comes in, since the gray seemed boring.  Saw this:

This happened on Shark Tank, but they didn't air it.

Deals, Tears and FORT pieces all over the floor.

Read the story of FORTs appearance on ABC's Shark Tank in a 4 part, special email series from FORT Founder, Conor.

Anyone know what happened.  I don't really want to sign up for their email.

https://getthefort.com/

I found this video online which is someone who received their FORT and gave a review.  I zipped through it, but he addresses the magnets around 3:30 - they are sewn into the fabric..

• Useful 1
On 4/3/2022 at 2:01 PM, eel21788 said:

They've only sold 120,000 pairs, so it is way too soon to be bragging about their low return rate. I also wanted to know how many times I could put them through the washer and dryer before I would need to replace them. 

Was anyone else thinking of the pilot episode of Bob❤️Abishola?

I was thinking of the recent episode with the commercial for MaxDot socks: “MaxDot Socks! The socks that rock!”

23 hours ago, aemom said:

I found this video online which is someone who received their FORT and gave a review.  I zipped through it, but he addresses the magnets around 3:30 - they are sewn into the fabric..

It looks a lot smaller than it did on Shark Tank. And it looked like a huge pain to put together, I would have expected the covers to be on the cushions.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, KaveDweller said:
On 4/4/2022 at 8:05 PM, aemom said:

It looks a lot smaller than it did on Shark Tank. And it looked like a huge pain to put together, I would have expected the covers to be on the cushions.

Seriously, what a waste of money.  I always see free couches on craigslist, with a little elbow grease, just keep and wash all the cushions, get rid of everything else... 2 or 3 trips you'd have the equivalent for free.  add velcro if you want, or not.  I can see kids getting bored with that big set anyway after a few days.

I liked the adaptive clothing, and really smart to reach out to HCPs.  I was in a wheelchair for a bit after an accident, and my PT would have been all over anything to help his client make their life a little easier.

• Love 5
On 4/4/2022 at 6:28 PM, lh25 said:

Went to the Fort site to see what colors this comes in, since the gray seemed boring.  Saw this:

Anyone know what happened.  I don't really want to sign up for their email.

https://getthefort.com/

did a quick search and the price is 299? on the show didnt he say he now charged 499??

On 4/3/2022 at 12:53 PM, DrSpaceman73 said:

The seaweed women bugged me because they were wearing some sort of bland jumpsuits and I couldn't figure out why.  

I wondered about that too, and figured it was to look like combat or a worker or something that suggested strong and powerful.