Type keyword(s) to search

S20.E10: Nicole Perlroth; Laura Coates; Andrew Yang

• Start Topic

One of the best shows* in ages. Yes, there was a snarky comment on masks and one on solar but they were blessedly brief. And he addressed and then turned the Fox News coverage about him around with a bunch of stuff about their BSC politicians. 

Now if we could just get Will Smith to do something stupid every week...

* I didn't agree with everything but the discussion was lively and respectful. There were even some funny jokes.

• Love 8
10 hours ago, tessaray said:

Now if we could just get Will Smith to do something stupid every week...

Maybe the key to a good Real Time with Bill Maher show is for someone to be an even bigger asshole than Bill that week. I agree, this was a very good Real Time show. Intelligent, well-spoken guests and Bill doing what he does best.

• Love 5

I have whiplash from Bill's about face, because only last week he was telling us women want to fuck manly men like Will Smith. And he even acknowledged that this week. Is he now trying to say he doesn't approve of that? Because when he was making that point last week he sure gave the impression he agreed with that attitude and now he's playing it off like he's against toxic masculinity. I fully expected him to come out in support of Will Smith.

Did 56% of women say they approved of what Smith did at the Oscars? Who the hell are these women and who conducted this poll? 

Then Bill makes this about the celebrities at the Oscars and how middle America sees them as out of touch with the real people, implying they represent the Democratic party as a whole. And moments later Bill admits he himself went to the Vanity Fair party that night. {headsmack} God, that he doesn't see the irony or the hypocrisy. 

Yeah, it was a good final New Rule about some of the crazy candidates on the right but too much of the show was taken up by Will Smith - just like every other show this week. 

The interview with Nicole Perlroth was alarming, to say the least.  

• Love 4
(edited)
On 4/2/2022 at 11:12 AM, iMonrey said:

I have whiplash from Bill's about face, because only last week he was telling us women want to fuck manly men like Will Smith. And he even acknowledged that this week. Is he now trying to say he doesn't approve of that? Because when he was making that point last week he sure gave the impression he agreed with that attitude and now he's playing it off like he's against toxic masculinity. I fully expected him to come out in support of Will Smith.

Did 56% of women say they approved of what Smith did at the Oscars? Who the hell are these women and who conducted this poll? 

I think Bill is confusing manly men with toxic masculinity. A lot of people who get annoyed by the term talk about all the wonderful men who are out there. Say you don't like the term, I get it. But the point isn't to demonize all men and masculinity itself.

Yes, many modern women, including many feminists, still like a traditional manly man-men who are happy to pay for dates, offer to help with heavy things, aren't more sensitive than us, etc. Toxic masculinity is different-men seeing women as objects, bottling up their emotions and not getting help, and violence like slapping someone over a joke. There's some balance between your guy friend who you almost see as one of the girls because you're so much alike and an aggressive man who needs help. 

Even those of us who like Will and understood him getting worked up still thought the slap was wrong. I'm curious where that 56% is coming from. Sometimes Bill cites numbers that are highly suspect. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 1

Yeah, I rarely trust Bill and poll numbers unless it's specifically a recent mainstream poll that I can track down.

I did find Bill's comments on aging and vanity interesting since his usual stance is that if you eat healthy and are thin everything will be perfect. /s 

I recently starting watching again, and I'm glad I did.  I don't agree with Bill on several of his pet issues, but in this day and age, I can really respect how he doesn't let his problems with the left "make him" turn into a conservative like certain other personalities.   

Going to the Vanity Fair party wasn't hypocritical at all, imo, since he said the point about the Oscars/Hollywood perception wasn't fair.  

I'm shocked at how well the two person panel works compared to the three.  

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, JNavarro said:

I recently starting watching again, and I'm glad I did.  I don't agree with Bill on several of his pet issues, but in this day and age, I can really respect how he doesn't let his problems with the left "make him" turn into a conservative like certain other personalities.   

Going to the Vanity Fair party wasn't hypocritical at all, imo, since he said the point about the Oscars/Hollywood perception wasn't fair.  

I'm shocked at how well the two person panel works compared to the three.  

I enjoy his show most of the time, even when I disagree with him for most/all the episode. There aren't a ton of shows with a format like his where you see respectful discussion among people with opposing views. I also think Bill is a talented moderator, and I personally enjoy his humor, but I know it's not everyone's cup of tea. 

I agree that Bill can be part of Hollywood but still call out its BS. 

I also really enjoyed the two person panel. 

• Love 3

I did not watch last night's show...actually I haven't watched his show in three years...anyway I did read the NY Post story on it and I was appalled at his "Wear a fucking wig" comment. Firstly, to bring such vitriol and toxic male anger at a black woman who has said absoloutely NOTHING about the incident at the Oscars and has not voiced any complaint, that I know of, of having alopecia publicly, is not only wrong but cruel. "Dr." Maher couldn't have given a more inaccurate description of alopecia as a common thing that goes along with the aging process...WRONG! It's an immune disorder, asshole. It has nothing to do with growing old. Anyone can get it at any stage in life. Week after week, Bill, forever the misogynist who takes potshots at women with great pleasure, continues to embarass himself with his attacks on women and progressives. I know he's angling for more airtime on Fox and trying hard to get the MAGA base to go to his gigs in Red States, but now he's just sounding like an old fool who is lashing out without accurate facts to back up his absurd statements.

His whining about liberal coastal elites is just hilarious...HE'S A COASTAL ELITE! A multi millionaire who lives in a mansion in Beverly Hills and makes millions of dollars from HBO and stand up and parties with other celebities is in no position to critique the very people he hangs with!!!! STFU Bill.

• Love 9
(edited)

I am so glad Bill didn’t wuss out on the Will Smith thing; although I agree his “56% of women were on board with Will” statistic does not sound right.

Edited by Tara
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Hedgehog2022 said:

I did not watch last night's show...actually I haven't watched his show in three years...anyway I did read the NY Post story on it and I was appalled at his "Wear a fucking wig" comment. Firstly, to bring such vitriol and toxic male anger at a black woman who has said absoloutely NOTHING about the incident at the Oscars and has not voiced any complaint, that I know of, of having alopecia publicly, is not only wrong but cruel. "Dr." Maher couldn't have given a more inaccurate description of alopecia as a common thing that goes along with the aging process...WRONG! It's an immune disorder, asshole. It has nothing to do with growing old. Anyone can get it at any stage in life. Week after week, Bill, forever the misogynist who takes potshots at women with great pleasure, continues to embarass himself with his attacks on women and progressives. I know he's angling for more airtime on Fox and trying hard to get the MAGA base to go to his gigs in Red States, but now he's just sounding like an old fool who is lashing out without accurate facts to back up his absurd statements.

I’ve become a less frequent watcher too, but did tune in last night because I enjoy Laura Coates who was on the panel and was interested in his take on the Will Smith story.   It was one of his better shows.

That being said alopecia is technically any hair loss.   Auto-immune disease is just one cause of alopecia and probably not the most common cause.  Aging, stress, various health issues, traction issues (caused by braids and weaves) can also cause alopecia, and it’s not clear which type Jada suffers from.  

I wasn’t thrilled by what he said, but in context I wasn’t outraged.   I took it as saying that alopecia isn’t something you die from or is considered a disability.  He was basically dismissing it as vanity.    Which didn’t really take into consideration the emotional tie women have with their hair.   

8 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Not sure, but that night I saw a lot of women on social media on Team Will.   People thought it chivalrous to defend his wife.  And people love Will Smith.  If you asked today I think the number would be a lot less once people really thought on it and how crazy it was.

• Love 4

"Dr." Maher couldn't have given a more inaccurate description of alopecia as a common thing that goes along with the aging process...WRONG! It's an immune disorder, asshole. It has nothing to do with growing old.

I did watch the show, so my perspective may be different from one gleaned from a New York Post story.  But it seemed to me that he was talking about losing one's hair for whatever reason, and alopecia is no different from male pattern baldness when it comes to deleterious health effects--there are none.  So, as @After7Only just said, it's a vanity thing, and it's no more serious (my word) than any other reason women choose to wear wigs, including many women in that audience that night.  Many of whom I'm sure were spanxed up to their necks.  Because, as he and Laura Coates said, we have to do the things we have to do to be where we are, including Bill Maher coloring his hair.

I did love the guffaw when Laura Coates said, "I don't know.  I woke up like this." 

29 minutes ago, After7Only said:

If you asked today I think the number would be a lot less once people really thought on it and how crazy it was.

Why does it need to be "crazy"?  I'm troubled that hitting another person for something they said would ever be considered acceptable by anyone.   

• Love 5
(edited)
2 hours ago, After7Only said:

I’ve become a less frequent watcher too, but did tune in last night because I enjoy Laura Coates who was on the panel and was interested in his take on the Will Smith story.   It was one of his better shows.

That being said alopecia is technically any hair loss.   Auto-immune disease is just one cause of alopecia and probably not the most common cause.  Aging, stress, various health issues, traction issues (caused by braids and weaves) can also cause alopecia, and it’s not clear which type Jada suffers from.  

I wasn’t thrilled by what he said, but in context I wasn’t outraged.   I took it as saying that alopecia isn’t something you die from or is considered a disability.  He was basically dismissing it as vanity.    Which didn’t really take into consideration the emotional tie women have with their hair.   

Not sure, but that night I saw a lot of women on social media on Team Will.   People thought it chivalrous to defend his wife.  And people love Will Smith.  If you asked today I think the number would be a lot less once people really thought on it and how crazy it was.

Well, I was outraged that he deigned to to tell a woman to just get over it, it’s not that bad and just “wear a fucking wig”. Especially when she hasn’t said a thing that could be construed as self pity or complaining. That was pure woman hating at its worst. I think Jada Pickett Smith has comported herself with tremendous grace and self composure. And she looked spectacular at the Oscars…even with bald head she looked fabulous. Bill is an ugly man inside and out.

2 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I did watch the show, so my perspective may be different from one gleaned from a New York Post story.  But it seemed to me that he was talking about losing one's hair for whatever reason, and alopecia is no different from male pattern baldness when it comes to deleterious health effects--there are none.  So, as @After7Only just said, it's a vanity thing, and it's no more serious (my word) than any other reason women choose to wear wigs, including many women in that audience that night.  Many of whom I'm sure were spanxed up to their necks.  Because, as he and Laura Coates said, we have to do the things we have to do to be where we are, including Bill Maher coloring his hair.

I did love the guffaw when Laura Coates said, "I don't know.  I woke up like this." 

Why does it need to be "crazy"?  I'm troubled that hitting another person for something they said would ever be considered acceptable by anyone.   

I’ll get my medical from a bonafide physician not some late night hack whose best comedic days were in the ‘80’s. Also, just so you know I caught your snark about the NY Post...I certainly don't know where else a Bill Maher headline would turn up except on a tabloid like the Post. I don't see the NY Times or Washington Post covering his Friday night commentary on their front pages. 

Edited by Hedgehog2022

On the % support "poll", frankly I think a not insignificant number of people base their take on how popular they *think* it's going to be.  And a lot of said people suddenly changed their mind when they saw how the negative reaction to Smith gained momentum in the following days.  

• Love 1
10 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I think Bill is confusing manly men with toxic masculinity. A lot of people who get annoyed by the term talk about all the wonderful men who are out there. Say you don't like the term, I get it. But the point isn't to demonize all men and masculinity itself.

Yes, many modern women, including many feminists, still like a traditional manly man-men who are happy to pay for dates, offer to help with heavy things, aren't more sensitive than us, etc. Toxic masculinity is different-men seeing women as objects, bottling up their emotions and not getting help, and violence like slapping someone over a joke. There's some balance between your guy friend who almost sees as one of the girls because you're so much alike and an aggressive man who needs help. 

Even those of us who like Will and understood him getting worked up still thought the slap was wrong. I'm curious where that 56% is coming from. Sometimes Bill cites numbers that are highly suspect. 

I agree, there is a huge difference between “manly” men and toxic masculinity.  

I don’t buy that 56% report, I don’t know a single person, woman or man who think Will made the right move, assaulting a person.  Only weak minded people take physical measures.

I was so glad Bill called out Will for what he really is.

1 hour ago, Hedgehog2022 said:

Well, I was outraged that he deigned to to tell a woman to just get over it, it’s not that bad and just “wear a fucking wig”. Especially when she hasn’t said a thing that could be construed as self pity or complaining. That was pure woman hating at its worst. I think Jada Pickett Smith has comported herself with tremendous grace and self composure. And she looked spectacular at the Oscars…even with bald head she looked fabulous. Bill is an ugly man inside and out.

I’ll get my medical from a bonafide physician not some late night hack whose best comedic days were in the ‘80’s.

She’s not dying from hair loss.  Many men and women suffer from hair loss and deal with it.

I don’t think of “grace and composure” when I think of her.  She got into a sexual relationship with a young man who she met as a friend of her son who was going through a hard time and looking for guidance in life.  That’s kind of icky to me.  She’s creepy imo.

• Love 8
50 minutes ago, heatherchandler said:

I agree, there is a huge difference between “manly” men and toxic masculinity.  

I don’t buy that 56% report, I don’t know a single person, woman or man who think Will made the right move, assaulting a person.  Only weak minded people take physical measures.

I was so glad Bill called out Will for what he really is.

She’s not dying from hair loss.  Many men and women suffer from hair loss and deal with it.

I don’t think of “grace and composure” when I think of her.  She got into a sexual relationship with a young man who she met as a friend of her son who was going through a hard time and looking for guidance in life.  That’s kind of icky to me.  She’s creepy imo.

I was speaking of her "grace and composure" at the Oscars and even days after the incident....not in her past daliances or relationships. Please.

• Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, Hedgehog2022 said:

I think Jada Pickett Smith has comported herself with tremendous grace and self composure.

I don't think laughing after the slap was a good look for Jada. To me there wasn't anything graceful about Jada's reaction to her husband assaulting a man.

Edited by Avaleigh
For clarification.
  • Love 5
34 minutes ago, Hedgehog2022 said:

I was speaking of her "grace and composure" at the Oscars and even days after the incident....not in her past daliances or relationships. Please.

Eh yeah no, there was zero grace- she laughed at the slap and laughed at the joke about the slap, clapped for the very toxic/abusive thing Will said, “love will make you do crazy things.”  Which, if the Smith clan thinks that’s true, it’s sick.  Love does not make you physically hurt someone.

• Love 3

Well, I was outraged that he deigned to to tell a woman to just get over it, it’s not that bad and just “wear a fucking wig”. Especially when she hasn’t said a thing that could be construed as self pity or complaining. That was pure woman hating at its worst. I think Jada Pickett Smith has comported herself with tremendous grace and self composure.

Self pity? Complaining? Maybe not that night, but if she rolled her eyes any longer/harder, they would have been on the floor!!  No way in hell she was gracious or composed that night, otherwise she would have simply laughed it off in the same way her husband was before she gave him the stink-eye.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I think the 56% was an emotional reaction of support.   Once people thought about it their rational mind realized how inappropriate it was.   At least that’s what I’ve seen.   Many women in that moment liked the idea of a man standing up for a woman and ignored the violence.   Many of those same women later saw the situation for what it was.   

• Love 2

Week after week, Bill, forever the misogynist who takes potshots at women with great pleasure, continues to embarass himself with his attacks on women and progressives.

Yeah, I'm having a hard time trying to reconcile last week's New Rule with his attitude about the Will Smith incident, because in the former he seemed to be saying "men are turning into pussies and women don't want to fuck them anymore." Now he's jumping on the "condemn Will Smith" bandwagon so he's essentially saying "women are crazy because they want to fuck men like Will Smith." That's what that 56% approval statistic means to him. So it definitely reeks of misogyny. 

And this thing with the Oscars, it's just so typical of his tired schtick. "This is why people don't vote for Democrats, they watch the Oscars and see people give Will Smith a standing ovation and see how out of touch they are with regular people." As if the people at the Oscars represent the Democratic Party as a whole. This is why Fox News keeps highlighting things he says. He's doing their work for them. He cherry picks someone or something that looks woke to him and holds it up as an example of all progressives. 

Because, as he and Laura Coates said, we have to do the things we have to do to be where we are, including Bill Maher coloring his hair.

I was puzzled by that remark because his hair still looks mostly grey to me. What is he doing, just adding a few dark streaks? 

• Love 3

While I get being a man is no walk in the park, I get annoyed when men act like the pressure regarding looks/aging is the same. Men aren't the ones putting on a face in the morning, a routine before bed, waxing every hair off their body, getting botox, filler, plastic surgery, eyelash extensions, hair extensions, fake nails, etc., etc. I'm not saying alopecia is the worst thing that can happen by any means. I get that Jada has been very fortunate in life, but long hair has been forever associated with femininity, and we're used to seeing bald men. Many women actually find the look really sexy. 

I also hate all the criticism Jada has received. She was sitting there minding her own business and her look was mocked in front of the world. She's entitled to an eye roll. Bill's spoken quite a bit about not feeling allowed to have opinions as a straight while male and whatnot. So are beautiful, rich women like Jada not allowed to have issues they're sensitive about? He's also been very fortunate in life, and that hasn't stopped him from having his fair share of complaints. It's part of being human. 

2 hours ago, DXD526 said:

Laura Coates was a great panel guest. Hey show, in the future when you need someone for the panel at the last minute, call her instead of Andrew Sullivan.

I really enjoyed "Don Lemon's upgrade" too! She is lovely. 

• Love 1

I somewhat schizophrenically agree with both A. Yang and B. Maher about the "slap." Yang's initial point was with so many other actually serious issues about which we should be worrying, why waste any limited bandwidth on this silly Hollywood problem? I haven't seen the "slap" and have no interest in viewing it or following discussions about it. However, I also see Bill's point. Yes - ultimately it's a tabloidesque dispute having little to do with bigger issues, but in its own way it does epitomize several bigger issues, including liberal hypocrisy - and that's why it's worthy of discussion. Hollywood is the lens through which many see Democrats, and that's another reason why this matters, even if it shouldn't. 

Bill's comments about baldness being no big deal reminded me of a Curb Your Enthusiasm episode where a chemo-caused, temporarily bald guy was getting an enormous amount of sympathy and pity, while Larry - continuously bald his entire life - got none. Bald people aren't usually the ones to dismiss baldness as no big deal btw. 

Having read her book (not light reading there), I wanted to hear more from the author. Cyber security certainly is one of those bigger issues that shouldn't be crowded out by the "slap." She was sadly almost totally silent in overtime.

• Love 1
(edited)

Many people thought Demi Moore looked really hot in GI Jane and Jada does too and has been rocking the buzz cut look for several years.  I didn't see Rock's comment as mockery.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 6
On 4/2/2022 at 9:12 AM, iMonrey said:

Then Bill makes this about the celebrities at the Oscars and how middle America sees them as out of touch with the real people, implying they represent the Democratic party as a whole. And moments later Bill admits he himself went to the Vanity Fair party that night. {headsmack} God, that he doesn't see the irony or the hypocrisy. 

Yeah, it was a good final New Rule about some of the crazy candidates on the right but too much of the show was taken up by Will Smith - just like every other show this week. 

The interview with Nicole Perlroth was alarming, to say the least.  

Yeah it was confusing or he really stretched to connect his "real man" New Rule from last week into how Hollywood liberals were hypocrites for cheering on Will Smith?

Going with his logic about "real man" Will was protecting Jada.  But somehow, someone not liking a joke about a woman's hair problem would be woke, wouldn't it?  Bill doesn't like any of his jokes, no matter how rude, to be received badly.  He takes offense when his jokes make audiences groan.

Yet he was blaming the liberal Hollywood audience for hypocritically not condemning Will?  Well they gave him a standing ovation for his award speech, which was rambling nonsense.  But did they really approve of his actions or still do a few days later?

What a dilemma for Bill, a joke causing a poor reaction versus a "real man" protecting his woman.  If Will didn't slap Chris, the talk may be more about how mean and unfunny his joke was, which would probably annoy Bill too.

16 hours ago, Hedgehog2022 said:

Also, just so you know I caught your snark about the NY Post...

I think it's always better to judge an event on the actual event rather than someone's version of it.  And if you are going to judge it on another's version of it, consideration of the source is not trivial.

1 hour ago, RealHousewife said:

I get that Jada has been very fortunate in life, but long hair has been forever associated with femininity, and we're used to seeing bald men. Many women actually find the look really sexy. 

The bald men women find sexy are usually completely bald, and many of those men aren't really completely bald--they shave their heads, usually due to a receding hairline or the crown-of-the-head bald spot.  They're disguising the hair loss, which is the equivalent of a woman wearing a wig.  And men have been mocked for wearing wigs and toupees forever, while women typically aren't. 

I really don't think that women typically find Larry David-type baldness attractive. 

And not to go too far afield, but I have a friend with alopecia, and she shaves her head.  She's white, with dark hair, and when it's not freshly shaved, you can see the extent of the hair loss--she has only a few little tufts of dark hair scattered around on her head.  It really does look awful, and the only way to deal with it is to shave it off.  No amount of styling is going to fix that mess. 

But I was seeing pictures of Jada and wondering where the baldness is, knowing what my friend's is like, and found a photo and video from the end of last year where she's showing her bald spot.  I'll just say I don't think it would make a compelling poster for a campaign about the heartbreak of alopecia. 

https://pagesix.com/2021/12/28/jada-pinkett-smith-shares-update-on-hair-loss-due-to-alopecia/

2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I was puzzled by that remark because his hair still looks mostly grey to me. What is he doing, just adding a few dark streaks? 

Sounds like it's more than that.  He said if he didn't color it, it would be completely white and look terrible on TV and make him look older than he is, which is already considered too old to be on TV.  Or maybe when he says "white" he means the gray we can sort of see, and it really is just some dark streaks.  

Regardless, I've never been a fan of his hair.  It's always looks like nicotine-stained hair to me.  Men just can't seem to get color right.  At least he's not Arnold Schwarzenegger or Sumner Redstone red, but don't these millionaires have access to the best colorists on the planet?  I'll never understand it.  If you're going to bother to get it dyed, get it dyed well. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I was surprised when Bill said he got his hair done since it looks like he just inexpertly rubbed in some Grecian Formula (that leaves hair greasy).  Or perhaps the makeup person just mascaraed on some darker streaks to tone down the whiteness when he showed up on set. They used to add ginger streaks/chunks that varied from week to week and looked worse. White hair with his grey facial skin tone would make him look more sickly than he already does.

Edited by deirdra
  • LOL 1
5 hours ago, iMonrey said:

And this thing with the Oscars, it's just so typical of his tired schtick. "This is why people don't vote for Democrats, they watch the Oscars and see people give Will Smith a standing ovation and see how out of touch they are with regular people." As if the people at the Oscars represent the Democratic Party as a whole. This is why Fox News keeps highlighting things he says. He's doing their work for them. He cherry picks someone or something that looks woke to him and holds it up as an example of all progressives. 

I don't get this either because it's the idea of hitting a guy who insults your woman the whole schtick of a lot of conservative men? When on earth did clapping for a guy doing that become a liberal Hollywood thing? It's exactly what John Wayne would do and they love John Wayne. (Makes it hard not to mention one of the big differences between John Wayne and Will Smith here...)

• Love 3
15 hours ago, MsTree said:

Self pity? Complaining? Maybe not that night, but if she rolled her eyes any longer/harder, they would have been on the floor!!  No way in hell she was gracious or composed that night, otherwise she would have simply laughed it off in the same way her husband was before she gave him the stink-eye.

How was her behavior rude, embarassing or undignified? She didn't say or do anything but a roll of the eyes...I don't understand how she is being perceived as being anything but gracious and composed...if you saw something that I didn't see, then please enlighten me.

17 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

Eh yeah no, there was zero grace- she laughed at the slap and laughed at the joke about the slap, clapped for the very toxic/abusive thing Will said, “love will make you do crazy things.”  Which, if the Smith clan thinks that’s true, it’s sick.  Love does not make you physically hurt someone.

I guess you were watching a different broadcast than me because I saw none of those things on my TV.

41 minutes ago, deirdra said:

I was surprised when Bill said he got his hair done since it looks like he just inexpertly rubbed in some Grecian Formula (that leaves hair greasy).  Or perhaps the makeup person just mascaraed on some darker streaks to tone down the whiteness when he showed up on set. They used to add ginger streaks/chunks that varied from week to week and looked worse. White hair with his grey facial skin tone would make him look more sickly than he already does.

Nothing is going to improve Bill's appearance...he's just not a good looking guy...and he admitted that to Rose MGowan when she appeared on this old show on ABC...he was hitting on her during a commercial break and said he had his father's nose and isn't that good looking but he has a big cock to make up for that. That was her "Me Too" moment with Bill. The guy really knows how to woo a girl.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Hedgehog2022 said:

How was her behavior rude, embarassing or undignified? She didn't say or do anything but a roll of the eyes...I don't understand how she is being perceived as being anything but gracious and composed...if you saw something that I didn't see, then please enlighten me.

I guess you were watching a different broadcast than me because I saw none of those things on my TV.

There have been videos posted to social media from people in the audience, it wasn’t on the actual telecast.  

• Love 2

I don't think Bill's point about "manly men" last week and his point about Will Smith being a dick this week are contradictory. Will Smith behaved like an entitled idiot engaging in violence for a stupid reason, as opposed to a "manly man" like Zelenskyy who has displayed bravery when leading his country during a crisis.

Yet, to connect that incident to "cancel culture" by liberals to the extent that Bill did seemed somewhat desperate. Is being an entitled Hollywood asshole equivalent to the cancel culture mob? Bill was really reaching there...

I agree with other posters that this has been the best New Rules segment for quite a while. It's a reminder that no matter how bad Democrats may get, the Republican Party is a cesspool of creeps and nutcases that does a hell of a lot more damage to the country. It's depressing to think that a lot of those people Bill highlighted are likely to get elected to Congress in November.

• Love 1
(edited)
14 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I also hate all the criticism Jada has received. She was sitting there minding her own business and her look was mocked in front of the world. She's entitled to an eye roll. Bill's spoken quite a bit about not feeling allowed to have opinions as a straight while male and whatnot. So are beautiful, rich women like Jada not allowed to have issues they're sensitive about? He's also been very fortunate in life, and that hasn't stopped him from having his fair share of complaints. It's part of being human. 

All that would be fine if she hadn't just talked about her acceptance of her condition and how beautiful she looks, basically saying she didn't care about anything anyone had to say about it. Then (the next day) at the Oscars, she's offended?! 

Edited by MsTree
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, MsTree said:

All that would be fine if she hadn't just talked about her acceptance of her condition and how beautiful she looks, basically saying she didn't care about anything anyone had to say about it. Then (the next day) at the Oscars, she's offended?! 

Several years ago when she was wearing her hair <1" long and looking fantastic, she was on talk shows saying she had developed traction alopecia from her years of wearing tight braids with extensions.  I.e. self-induced alopecia, not a "medical condition".  One side effect of Pfizer vaccines is the reoccurrence of alopecia; Pfizer co-sponsored the Academy Awards with Jada sitting front and center, and also has a new alopecia drug. I'm betting on Jada being their spokesperson.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

The bald men women find sexy are usually completely bald, and many of those men aren't really completely bald--they shave their heads, usually due to a receding hairline or the crown-of-the-head bald spot.  They're disguising the hair loss, which is the equivalent of a woman wearing a wig.  And men have been mocked for wearing wigs and toupees forever, while women typically aren't. 

I really don't think that women typically find Larry David-type baldness attractive. 

Part of why men are mocked though is because women are expected to go to great lengths to be beautiful. It's considered feminine when men put in effort beyond going to the gym and getting a haircut. Not at all saying it's kind. Men shouldn't be mocked either. If a man feels better about himself with a wig or toupee rather than a shaved head, he should do what makes him happy. I've known men who secretly groom their brows or use makeup if they get a breakout. They shouldn't be shamed. 

I think with both men and women, a lot of it is just your face. The difference is that men tend to love women with long hair, and while some women care about a healthy head of hair too, it's not something we care nearly as much about. Even if for a bald man to be attractive it can't be just any bald man, I've never heard a man say he loves a woman with a shaved head. 

9 hours ago, MsTree said:

I think it's because she felt she was being mocked. Even if both Jada and Demi are beautiful women, Chris delivery wasn't "wow Jada, you look especially beautiful!" He was poking fun. 

A woman can say you know what, I love my curves. I don't even like being very skinny. I feel more feminine with some meat on my bones. But if someone were to make a big butt joke, it could still hurt.  

And again, despite understanding Jada's eye roll and being offended, Will shouldn't have put his hands on Chris. 

12 hours ago, ApocalypseThen said:

I don't think Bill's point about "manly men" last week and his point about Will Smith being a dick this week are contradictory. Will Smith behaved like an entitled idiot engaging in violence for a stupid reason, as opposed to a "manly man" like Zelenskyy who has displayed bravery when leading his country during a crisis.

But when you make it about being specifically manly, imo, you do put them together. I can't imagine many people hearing someone say that men have become "pussies" and think they mean they're cowards or never stand for their principles. They think of them as doing it in a "feminine" way. Wasn't Bill recently on Ben Shapiro's show? Hard to believe he doesn't know exactly how the right defines pussies, since they're often more obsessed with it.

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, sistermagpie said:

But when you make it about being specifically manly, imo, you do put them together. I can't imagine many people hearing someone say that men have become "pussies" and think they mean they're cowards or never stand for their principles. They think of them as doing it in a "feminine" way. Wasn't Bill recently on Ben Shapiro's show? Hard to believe he doesn't know exactly how the right defines pussies, since they're often more obsessed with it.

I think of manly-men acting "chivalrously," like opening a door for me, or taking off their coat so I can wear it if I am cold. 

I think lashing out and physically assaulting someone is more of a "pussy" move, even though I am gagging at that term.  Taking it physical is for people who are unable to actually think and use their words.

• Love 5
(edited)
21 hours ago, deirdra said:

I saw his stand-up once while GWB was still president and his hair was white. I thought it looked better than the dyed version. It didn't have that chainsmoker's nicotine hair look. Whatever floats his boat, though. 

Edited by The Mighty Peanut
1 hour ago, heatherchandler said:

I think of manly-men acting "chivalrously," like opening a door for me, or taking off their coat so I can wear it if I am cold. 

I think lashing out and physically assaulting someone is more of a "pussy" move, even though I am gagging at that term.  Taking it physical is for people who are unable to actually think and use their words.

Me too. 

Ditto. One thing I love about manly men is they realize their size and strength, and that should go for their strength over other men too. I was more disturbed by the slap when I rewatched it because Chris looks so much smaller than Will. :(

• Love 2
1 hour ago, RealHousewife said:

Me too. 

Ditto. One thing I love about manly men is they realize their size and strength, and that should go for their strength over other men too. I was more disturbed by the slap when I rewatched it because Chris looks so much smaller than Will. :(

Yes Chris is a little guy.  And then to find out that he has a non-verbal learning disability, where he can't read faces or gestures.  For Will to stalk up there and smack him, I still can't believe it, I am sure Chris was beyond stunned. 

I just watched something the other day, an interview with Will and he is apparently still upset with himself that he didn't stop his father from beating his mother.  So he had the MOST TOXIC father figure, and grew up not wanting to fight... but to go from that to assault because of a joke - I can't put the pieces together.

I am a strong Bill defender, but I didn't love his new rules last week, I get where he was going with the women want men, not babies, but I didn't think he was able to really explain it.  

• Love 1
2 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

I am a strong Bill defender, but I didn't love his new rules last week, I get where he was going with the women want men, not babies, but I didn't think he was able to really explain it.  

For me a baby is someone who is scared of speaking up, even in stations that shouldn't be difficult to navigate. I get really turned off if a man is a doormat who can't take up for himself or anyone else. I'm an anxious, shy person with a small frame who's unfortunately got a lot of phobias, and I manage to do it. 

Someone posted this recently, and it hilariously speaks the truth. Women have traditionally been the ones who strongly prefer a stronger, protective partner. That is due to a number of reasons, but I think in any relationship, there's a need for polarity. I've always noticed the shy, passive guys being more attracted to the fiery, outspoken women.

image.png.6a7311614f2a8d4d9fa26e1db30307

• LOL 5
On 4/2/2022 at 9:08 PM, After7Only said:

I kind of agreed with Bill on the “it’s not like alopecia is leukaemia” argument. But yeah, women and their hair are a thing. Since Bill doesn’t seem to have had a long-term relationship with a woman (that I can recall), maybe he just doesn’t have insight into how women think.

On 4/3/2022 at 12:23 PM, RealHousewife said:

She was sitting there minding her own business and her look was mocked in front of the world. She's entitled to an eye roll.

9 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Chris delivery wasn't "wow Jada, you look especially beautiful!" He was poking fun. 

Was he, though? He said something like, “Jada, I love you. So GI Jane 2?” I thought it was a compliment on how hot she looked without hair. There was no malice and no intentional mocking in Chris Rock’s comment. I just found it strange that Will reacted that strongly. Oscar hosts have made actual mocking and malicious jokes about celebs for decades and sometimes the “jokee” sat there and glared and sometimes they laughed. But they never impulsively stormed the stage, smacked the host, and then yelled with rage. It was so bizarre. 

And Bill was right that the audience was being hypocritical by cheering for Will and giving him a standing ovation. They could have clapped  to honour his work, but the ovation was over the top. 

I agree with those who prefer the two-guest format over having three. There was way to much overtalking with three guests, plus Maher. And I really like Andrew Yang; I think he would have made a good president.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Shermie said:

I kind of agreed with Bill on the “it’s not like alopecia is leukaemia” argument. But yeah, women and their hair are a thing. Since Bill doesn’t seem to have had a long-term relationship with a woman (that I can recall), maybe he just doesn’t have insight into how women think.

Was he, though? He said something like, “Jada, I love you. So GI Jane 2?” I thought it was a compliment on how hot she looked without hair. There was no malice and no intentional mocking in Chris Rock’s comment. I just found it strange that Will reacted that strongly. Oscar hosts have made actual mocking and malicious jokes about celebs for decades and sometimes the “jokee” sat there and glared and sometimes they laughed. But they never impulsively stormed the stage, smacked the host, and then yelled with rage. It was so bizarre. 

And Bill was right that the audience was being hypocritical by cheering for Will and giving him a standing ovation. They could have clapped  to honour his work, but the ovation was over the top. 

I agree with those who prefer the two-guest format over having three. There was way to much overtalking with three guests, plus Maher. 

Good theory about Bill. He probably has no idea how much effort, money, and time women put into their hair or looks in general. 

To each his own. It didn't sound like a compliment to me. I agree it was a bizarre fiasco.

Hollywood can definitely by hypocritical. However, I wonder if a lot of the industry likes Will and thought he was a nice guy who was having a breakdown. I think there had to be more to his reaction than just that joke, even if I didn't care for it.

Hopefully we'll get more two-guest panels. 

13 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I think it's because she felt she was being mocked. Even if both Jada and Demi are beautiful women, Chris delivery wasn't "wow Jada, you look especially beautiful!" He was poking fun. 

A woman can say you know what, I love my curves. I don't even like being very skinny. I feel more feminine with some meat on my bones. But if someone were to make a big butt joke, it could still hurt.  

And again, despite understanding Jada's eye roll and being offended, Will shouldn't have put his hands on Chris. 

I hear you, but being mocked (or roasted) is all part of the joke. And Chris did preface the joke with "Jada, I love you..." 

I truly believe that Hollywood needs to develop a thick skin, especially if they're going to sit in the front row of an awards show, or any live show for that matter. 

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, MsTree said:

I hear you, but being mocked (or roasted) is all part of the joke. And Chris did preface the joke with "Jada, I love you..." 

I truly believe that Hollywood needs to develop a thick skin, especially if they're going to sit in the front row of an awards show, or any live show for that matter. 

True, hopefully nothing like this happens again. 

• Love 1