Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Weighting to Exhale

• Start Topic

During therapy, Vannessa finally confronts the demons from her past. Meghan and Vannessa struggle to drop as many pounds as possible before they finally weigh in with Dr. Procter. Also, Vannessa makes an emotional plea to her estranged sister.

Original air date 2022.03.21

• Love 1

Vannessa annoys me but no snark for her being a sex worker. That seems to have been a tough choice. Sounds like she was a thief to boot. She needs some serious therapy and surgery will not work until she deals with this.

Edited by sainte-chapelle
  • Love 5
Just now, Roxie said:

Former therapist here.  Vannessa could probably benefit greatly from EMDR.  It's a treatment that's been very successful for PTSD.

EMDR? I am not familiar. Is that the treatment for PTSD with exposure and eye movement? Forgive my ignorance but I recall a friend mentioning that type of treatment. 

21 minutes ago, sainte-chapelle said:

Vannessa annoys me but no snark for her being a sex worker. That seems to have been a tough choice. Sounds like she was a thief to boot. She needs some serious therapy and surgery will not work until she deals with this.

I agree. 

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

EMDR? I am not familiar. Is that the treatment for PTSD with exposure and eye movement? Forgive my ignorance but I recall a friend mentioning that type of treatment.

Basically, yes.  When I got my training years ago, one of the benefits for the client was that they did not have to tell the therapist any of the "gory details" of their trauma(s).

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, Roxie said:

Basically, yes.  When I got my training years ago, one of the benefits for the client was that they did not have to tell the therapist any of the "gory details" of their trauma(s).

Thank you. Yes, a friend of mine suffers from PTSD pretty badly and she was mentioning trying that. It might help Vanessa. 

Megan is ingesting too many calories- is she journaling and sticking to her meal plan suggestions? I can’t believe she has typical hunger cues this close to her weight loss surgery. 

There is something about Megan, I get vibes that she’s kind of like Amy from 1,000 sisters, she might have just wanted to lose enough weight to get her mobility back (where as Amy just wanted to have a baby). 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

EMDR? I am not familiar. Is that the treatment for PTSD with exposure and eye movement? Forgive my ignorance

Don't feel ignorant. I had no idea what EMDR is either. 

• Love 2

Normally I really enjoy the Dr. Proctor visits but this one left me confused and w/a bad taste in my mouth. 

Im confused about the Dr.'s whole emphasis on 'Meghan only has a few more months left to lose weight, if that, & then she won't be able to lose any more'. Has Dr. Now ever expresssed this belief? His patients appear to lose weight for years after surgery as evidenced by the many follow-up episodes.

Dr. P's assertion was similar to Tina's appointment last episode where he told her she probably couldn't lose weight on her own and maintain it without surgery.

Also, I thought it was a little mean to tell Meghan she was one of his least successful patients. IIRC Meghan was near 500lbs at the beginning of Too Large and now she's 303lbs. That's almost 200lbs lost in 1 1/2yrs. If that's his least successful patient then Dr. P has a remarkable success rate as a physician.

On a more shallow note, Vannessa's foundation makeup at Dr. P's was so light and so unblended at her jawline that she looked like a clown. I don't blame Vannessa as she is inexperienced w/TV cameras and lighting but are you telling me that no one in that TLC film crew noticed or tried to help her out? Kinda crappy IMHO.

Edited by lulu69
  • Love 6

I think they've said on this show that the first year after surgery is the fastest loss, and the closer you get to a goal weight, the slower you lose.   I'm sure Meghan's cheating hasn't just been on camera.    I wouldn't be surprised if the camera crews clue Dr. Procter in about the women's binges on camera, and off. 

• Love 5
42 minutes ago, lulu69 said:Also, I thought it was a little mean to tell Meghan she was one of his least successful patients. IIRC Meghan was near 500lbs at the beginning of Too Large and now she's 303lbs. That's almost 200lbs lost in 1 1/2yrs. If that's his least successful patient then Dr. P has a remarkable success rate as a physician.

I agree. Didn’t she still lose around 25lbs? It’s still a loss. It’s just a fact that it gets harder and harder to lose weight the longer you’re cutting calories. Your body & mind rebels, surgery or not. She’s already dropped a lot of weight. And she’s very tough on herself. A little encouragement would’ve been more helpful. 

It was comical how long they dragged out the weigh-ins. So many commercials!  It’s like Pimple Popper-patient goes on about how affliction sucks. Doctor says how she’s not sure she can help. Commercial. Patient retells same story. Doctor says again, not sure I can help. Begins and Commercial break. Ugh. Tv is annoying why do I watch?! Lol 

• Love 6

Used to be totally rooting for Meghan and disliking over-the-top Vanessa. In the words of Michael Scott, oh how the turn tables have turned. Meghan is turning into a sniveling simp, while Vanessa is making progress. I wish them both success, but Team Vanessa now. 

• Love 7
14 hours ago, BAForever said:

Used to be totally rooting for Meghan and disliking over-the-top Vanessa. In the words of Michael Scott, oh how the turn tables have turned. Meghan is turning into a sniveling simp, while Vanessa is making progress. I wish them both success, but Team Vanessa now. 

I'm right there with you BAFOREVER!  Vannessa deserves much respect for achieving her goal weight.  She showed me that she could make the hard choices.

Next week scene with Meghan talking to a classmate and saying she had a big crush on him is looking like it will make for a squeamish time.  How'd you like to be confronted on television by a classmate who you may or may not have thought of in 20 years?  Especially if you had NEVER been attracted to that person?

• Love 8

Has Meghan ever mentioned having PCOS? If you notice, her hair is thin and there's even a balding spot in the front, which can happen with PCOS.

I'm rooting for both of them, as well as Ashely and Tina. People can sometimes look like real jerks, but in reality, they've just been so broken and in survival mode for so long that they don't know what they don't know. Kudos to both of them for trying to learn and grow; that's rarely a linear process, but involves going steps forward, and steps back.

• Love 6

Meghan's hair was thin before she started dieting for the surgery, and after too.    I'm wondering if she's malnourished, even with eating too much?   I'm guessing Dr. Procter tests for thyroid and other issues, but who knows what conditions any of the participants have that we don't know about.   

• Love 2

I wonder if Vanessa has unrealistic expectations about her sister.  The woman seems pretty clueless and not invested in Vanessa the way she thinks.  She may need to accept that sis is not going to support her weight loss journey.  We may want to rely on family, but sometimes, it’s just not possible.  

• Love 6
4 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I wonder if Vanessa has unrealistic expectations about her sister.  The woman seems pretty clueless and not invested in Vanessa the way she thinks.  She may need to accept that sis is not going to support her weight loss journey.  We may want to rely on family, but sometimes, it’s just not possible.  

Vanessa's sister is very scary.  Her whole persona squicks me out.  I can understand being worried about her sister going under the knife, but to be totally against it and wanting to enable her sister's bad eating habits because it makes her more fun to be around is crazy.  I just don't understand being afraid of surgery that could very well save her sister's life but being ok with having your sister stay the way she is and possibly finding her dead in her bed from a heart attack or stroke.  At least with the surgery there's a chance to get better.  And I wonder why Jackie doesn't have a husband and kids of her own.  I would like to know her back story.  

• Love 6
On 3/23/2022 at 6:12 PM, MsVixen said:

I'm right there with you BAFOREVER!  Vannessa deserves much respect for achieving her goal weight.  She showed me that she could make the hard choices.

Next week scene with Meghan talking to a classmate and saying she had a big crush on him is looking like it will make for a squeamish time.  How'd you like to be confronted on television by a classmate who you may or may not have thought of in 20 years?  Especially if you had NEVER been attracted to that person?

I bet this is the LAST reunion he attends!

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
13 hours ago, swankie said:

Vanessa's sister is very scary.  Her whole persona squicks me out.  I can understand being worried about her sister going under the knife, but to be totally against it and wanting to enable her sister's bad eating habits because it makes her more fun to be around is crazy.  I just don't understand being afraid of surgery that could very well save her sister's life but being ok with having your sister stay the way she is and possibly finding her dead in her bed from a heart attack or stroke.  At least with the surgery there's a chance to get better.  And I wonder why Jackie doesn't have a husband and kids of her own.  I would like to know her back story.  

My unprofessional opinion is that Jakie's a drug addict. :( 

• Useful 3
  • Love 3