Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E02: Masks at Dawn -- Round 1

• Start Topic

I don't know what happened - I tuned into the Masked Singer, and it turns out an hour long commercial for Domino Master aired instead. Weird.

I don't know why they are grouped like this, instead of all members of each group. I don't know why there is suddenly a duel, when there wasn't last week. I don't know why Firefly is so dramatic. There's no way that was a genuinely voted-on elimination though. None. I mean, they probably are all like that, but this was incredibly obvious.

• Love 6

I like the concept of the show, but I don't like the fake reactions from both the fake audience and judges.  It would really be a great show if it were presented straight forward.

• Love 9

When Firefly first stalked off I thought she was being bratty because she was bottom two (which she really didn't deserve). Then I decided to give her the benefit of the doubt...maybe she really just needed to pee and couldn't wait any longer 

My charitable read is that she needed to adjust her costume in some way before she was comfortable singing which had to happen backstage and the show made the moment more dramatic than it ever needed to be. Considering her issue last week, I can't imagine she'd want to be struggling to sing in a head to head challenge. And this show loves to make drama out of thin air.

• Love 3

That was so obviously fixed with Eric Stonestreet as the guest and Domino Masters coming on right after this show. Ram was always going home on this episode regardless of how well anyone performed in the duel. I think they put Firefly in the duel so it would be glaringly obvious who the better singer was.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Michichick said:

That was so obviously fixed with Eric Stonestreet as the guest and Domino Masters coming on right after this show. 

They did the same thing last year with Craig Robinson and The Masked Dancer.

Edited by MrsEVH
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, BoogieBurns said:

I don't know who that person was that they unmasked.

He's a long-time sportscaster, and he also co-hosts Domino Masters with ... Eric Stonestreet.

They're definitely bringing the manufactured drama this season.    As corny as it was, I actually do miss the "First Impressions" guesses.   Speaking of guesses, the only one I had a possible guess for was also the most "dramatic".    Will be interesting to see if she implodes next week.   *LOL*.    But at points Firefly was giving me Mary J. Blige vibes.    Though I don't know if she's worked with Tyler Perry.

Edited by Meedis

And that might be why things seem so odd this season. IIRC, spoiler person was the first elimination of the filming, and I know they can air things out of order, but there is an off-ness about this season that seems palpable. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, NeenerNeener said:

We may never see that particular reveal on broadcast TV. The PTB may have decided they don't want to deal with the backlash from either side...period

I hope so.  I don't need to hear him "sing" either...

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Ananayel said:

And that might be why things seem so odd this season. IIRC, spoiler person was the first elimination of the filming, and I know they can air things out of order, but there is an off-ness about this season that seems palpable. 

Somebody mentioned that the costumes are not as good which is true.  I also think the singers as a whole are not as good.  I like the seasons where most of the contestants are decent/good singers.  In this group, only the firefly and thingamabob are good singers. 

Finally got around to watching this as I hadn’t realized ahead of time it was the same singers as week 1. I know Ram had to go for reasons, but I was still bummed. He was at least entertaining. 

At this point, I have two hopes for the rest of the season. 1) The other groups are more entertaining and 2) Firefly isn’t the last one standing for this group. I feel like I’m the only one, but I’ve not been super impressed with any of her performances and her antics/diva behavior is boring. Though I have to wonder how much of her walking off after being in the bottom 2 was authentic and how much was producer driven. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, NeenerNeener said:

We may never see that particular reveal on broadcast TV. The PTB may have decided they don't want to deal with the backlash from either side...period 

7 hours ago, Ananayel said:

I thought he was the first person eliminated, so I was surprised when I realized he wasn't. Just not showing that episode is the only way around not having him on the show. The can't show the episodes in random order, because people can't be eliminated one week & suddenly reappear & compete the next. I've already passed on 2 episodes expecting them to be the one, I won't bother watching them, but maybe I'll watch the 3rd.

56 minutes ago, GaT said:

I thought he was the first person eliminated, so I was surprised when I realized he wasn't. Just not showing that episode is the only way around not having him on the show. The can't show the episodes in random order, because people can't be eliminated one week & suddenly reappear & compete the next. I've already passed on 2 episodes expecting them to be the one, I won't bother watching them, but maybe I'll watch the 3rd.

It is possible that the "polarizing individual" is in one of the other groups of contestants that haven't been featured yet.   So the episode to avoid watching would either be e04 or e07 (assuming the third group of contestants show up there).

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Stats Queen said:

Why did the producers even think this was a wise casting move in the first place?

Because all attention is good attention for them. It's the same reason Dancing With The Stars brought on Sean Spicer. It gets people talking about the show.

And this show brought on Sarah Palin, and I think DWTS had Tom DeLay and Bristol Palin, right? And Kate Gosselin, who is just horrible, not hugely controversial. However, like I said a while ago, they had all been out of the public eye for a while, while this one was current and ongoing. Big mistake, and I hope TPTB learned their lesson. But, it is Fox, sooo....

21 hours ago, Bookworm13 said:

Finally got around to watching this as I hadn’t realized ahead of time it was the same singers as week 1. I know Ram had to go for reasons, but I was still bummed. He was at least entertaining. 

At this point, I have two hopes for the rest of the season. 1) The other groups are more entertaining and 2) Firefly isn’t the last one standing for this group. I feel like I’m the only one, but I’ve not been super impressed with any of her performances and her antics/diva behavior is boring. Though I have to wonder how much of her walking off after being in the bottom 2 was authentic and how much was producer driven. 

I think firefly is a good singer but not as good as some others that have been on this show.  She's just one of the two that are good in this group.  Since I'm not sure if her walking off is producer driven or she might have anxiety, I won't hold that against her for now.  Not that it matters since we don't vote and I don't think votes count most of the time.

I hope the next group of singers is better than these guys.  I think the judges are way over-praising Firefly, Cyclops, and Thingamabob.  My favorite of the three is Thingamabob.

Edited by Roxie
To add my favorite

So, are we not even pretending this is a real competition anymore? This season feels rushed. Not impressed so far. Had to ff through the ram, so I'm glad he's gone.