Type keyword(s) to search

S20.E08: Max Brooks; Kristin Soltis Anderson; Ernie Moniz

• Start Topic

Max Brooks was awesome as always.

I honestly enjoyed this episode, but the cringe was still palpable. I guess we’re forever stuck with his yelling about “Woke,” and his other obligatory, old man bit “I was driving past some of them there young people…and they were wearing MASKS!  What in tarnation?!”

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

Jon Stewart interviewed a climate reporter on his podcast this week. According to her, even if we started building new nuclear power plants tomorrow, their offset of climate change wouldn't begin until 2050. I'm still on the fence about whether or not nuclear power should be in the mix, but it's definitely not a quick fix.

Kristin Soltis Anderson loves the sound of her own voice. Whenever she speaks it's a word salad that doesn't end up meaning anything. She did manage to push back against one of Bill's usual rants but aside from that there was way too much of her and too little of Max.

That said, it was a fairly decent panel discussion until after the midway break, when it suddenly spiraled into all of Bill's usual rants. Here we go again - fat people get sick so be more healthy. The science isn't in on vaccinations? Oh Lordy. He sounds more and more like some crazy anti-vaxxer every day. Hey Bill, you're talking out of both sides of your mouth when you speak of science. How do you know only the fat people are getting sick? Maybe the science on that isn't in either. 

We know, statistically, the vaccines work and no, Biden never said you wouldn't get sick if you got the vaccine. He said you wouldn't wind up in the hospital, and that it's a pandemic of the unvaccinated. 

I liked Max pushing back against his nonsense and pointing out that cancer isn't contagious. 

To top it all off, Bill had the colossal gall to mock Tucker Carlson when he himself is sounding more like Tucker Carlson by the day. 

Clarence Thomas's wife was at the stop the steal rally? Good grief. He should be impeached.

We tried permanent daylight savings time once before and people didn't like it. It doesn't get light out in the winters until almost 8:00 or 9:00 in some parts of the country and people have to get up and go to work or to school in the dark. I agree we shouldn't have to change the clocks twice a year but I think it should be standard time year round. I don't need the sun to stay up until 9:00 in the summer when it's 110 outside.

• Love 11
10 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

We know, statistically, the vaccines work and no, Biden never said you wouldn't get sick if you got the vaccine. He said you wouldn't wind up in the hospital, and that it's a pandemic of the unvaccinated. 

He did.  Biden did say this at a July 2021 town hall, with Don Lemon: “You’re OK. You’re not going to — you're not going to get COVID if you have these vaccinations.”

I’ll get up and go to work in the dark if I don’t ever have to change the clocks again.  It’s so disruptive.

Why is changing clocks disruptive?

more and more people rely on their phones, which change automatically.

you still have to change in your car, old analog clocks, kitchen appliances.

Contagious disease, that means public restrictions.  But Bill seems more and more of the opinion that Covid is not serious.  A million dead in about 2 years in the US alone.

There are over 600k cancer deaths annually.  Higher than Covid but how many Covid deaths would there have been without measures and vaccines?

I agree you don’t need to wear masks outsides but the risk of infection isn’t zero.  It’s very low but not impossible.  I generally don’t but I ordered some food to go and rather than go outside and remove the masks, I kept it on because I was going to go back into a crowded restaurant to pick up the food and the N95 is kind of a pain to take off and put back on.

but if the wait was longer I would have.  Similarly if I’m driving from place to place, I keep the mask on for the short — 5-10 minutes — drive.

I have a long flight coming up so glad there are lower amount of aerosols than there otherwise would be.  But policymakers are under pressure to remove the masking requirement on flights.  The requirement is set to expire in mid April unless it is extended but it’s an election year.

29 minutes ago, aghst said:

Why is changing clocks disruptive?

more and more people rely on their phones, which change automatically.

you still have to change in your car, old analog clocks, kitchen appliances.

It’s not the act of changing it, I mean, I do have the kitchen clock etc but it’s more the disruption to the whole family.  We are all off for like a week when we reset, and it just doesn’t make sense.

• Love 1

I know that I feel more tired when it switches than I used to be.

But apparently we tried not changing and didn't like it so we went back to DST.

Europe has DST as well.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

That said, it was a fairly decent panel discussion until after the midway break, when it suddenly spiraled into all of Bill's usual rants. Here we go again - fat people get sick so be more healthy. The science isn't in on vaccinations? Oh Lordy. He sounds more and more like some crazy anti-vaxxer every day. Hey Bill, you're talking out of both sides of your mouth when you speak of science. How do you know only the fat people are getting sick? Maybe the science on that isn't in either. 

Thank you! I was yelling at the TV that he had just said the opposite and was speaking out of both sides of his mouth.

Didn't he also have the same rant about the ACLU a few weeks ago?

19 minutes ago, revbfc said:

If HBO were to replace Bill with a Max Brooks panel discussion show, would that be so bad?

I think Bill is a talented man even though I'm no longer the kind of fan who'd go see him live or anything. 

Now Max is very likable and thoughtful, really enjoy him. He challenged what Bill said and did it in a classy way. I'd totally watch his own show. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

He did.  Biden did say this at a July 2021 town hall, with Don Lemon: “You’re OK. You’re not going to — you're not going to get COVID if you have these vaccinations.”

I’ll get up and go to work in the dark if I don’t ever have to change the clocks again.  It’s so disruptive.

That's the problem with a new virus...the science on them is ever evolving...thus this was named a"novel" virus...we did not know in July'21 that transmission from the highly contagious Delta variant could infect vaccinated people...same with the Omicron variant that was even more transmissable. However, the vaccine did keep people out of the hospital and from becoming severly ill and dying. I was triple vaxxed and got Omicron in January. I was sick but it was not severe and more like a bad cold...personally, I was grateful for the all the shots I got that kept me from hospitalization and even death. The longer some Americans continue to remain unvaxxed, the more variants will spread. And this will continue to keep our hospitals on the verge of collapse. 

1 hour ago, revbfc said:

If HBO were to replace Bill with a Max Brooks panel discussion show, would that be so bad?

I'm all for that! Bill is just tired and boring at this point. Bring in Max and throw his dad Mel in for a few shows too!

• Love 6
4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Jon Stewart interviewed a climate reporter on his podcast this week. According to her, even if we started building new nuclear power plants tomorrow, their offset of climate change wouldn't begin until 2050. I'm still on the fence about whether or not nuclear power should be in the mix, but it's definitely not a quick fix.

Kristin Soltis Anderson loves the sound of her own voice. Whenever she speaks it's a word salad that doesn't end up meaning anything. She did manage to push back against one of Bill's usual rants but aside from that there was way too much of her and too little of Max.

I liked Max pushing back against his nonsense and pointing out that cancer isn't contagious. 

To top it all off, Bill had the colossal gall to mock Tucker Carlson when he himself is sounding more like Tucker Carlson by the day. 

Clarence Thomas's wife was at the stop the steal rally? Good grief. He should be impeached.

We tried permanent daylight savings time once before and people didn't like it. It doesn't get light out in the winters until almost 8:00 or 9:00 in some parts of the country and people have to get up and go to work or to school in the dark. I agree we shouldn't have to change the clocks twice a year but I think it should be standard time year round. I don't need the sun to stay up until 9:00 in the summer when it's 110 outside.

Ginny Thomas was not only at the Jan.6th rally, she raised money for travel for people to get there and helped to organize it. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

I kept waiting for Bill to mention when not changing the clocks was tried, in 1973. I was very young at the time, but I remember waiting for the school bus in the dark. I also remember it was a really popular move, until people actually tried it. Most hated it, and the clocks were back to being changed by the next school year. Bill is a few years older than me, so he should recall all this. 

I've never understood the problem with the process. It's only an hour. I have many times, including this year, had to work the Sunday morning after, and it's no big deal. I never 'got' it when people complained about it. Different strokes, I guess.

I like how Max Brooks said he was Bill's biggest nightmare, because he's married with a kid, doesn't smoke weed, and reads comic books! I like Brooks as a guest, but, to be honest, he kinda sounds like a nightmare to me, too. /S. Sorta.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, revbfc said:

I anxiously await Real Time with ________. Love the format but the titular host is starting to mold. 

• Love 5

Good for Max, and i wish he pushed a bit harder against Bill.  masks don't just help keep you from getting covid, they also help keep you from getting colds and flus and i'm good with that as well.  i'd rather keep wearing a mask to lessen my risk from getting all sorts of virus.  

and hey Bill, speaking about a 180 degrees from where you used to be and claiming you still are....

• Love 5

Max Brooks is both physically and intellectually hot as hell. The best of both parents. 

Pretty sure Bill had Ernie Moniz on to be taller than someone. Because he certainly wasn’t trying to let Moniz talk—he barely let him get a word in. 

• Love 3

During the same public appearance, Biden also stated, accurately, that vaccinated people are less likely to catch the virus than unvaccinated people and, if they do catch it, are less likely to get sick. Removing that context is a deliberate misdirect.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

During the same public appearance, Biden also stated, accurately, that vaccinated people are less likely to catch the virus than unvaccinated people and, if they do catch it, are less likely to get sick. Removing that context is a deliberate misdirect.

He contradicted himself, during the same town hall. I don’t think it helps to add that context as it makes him look like a moron.  But I think what Bill was getting at was that at one point in time, the scientists made these claims.  Then the science changed.  It happens, but that’s why it’s unfair to force anyone to do anything because of ever-changing discoveries.  

He was also trying to say to Max, that people should get the vaccine in order to keep themselves from getting deathly ill, which it probably does do, not because it keeps others from getting sick because it doesn’t.

Edited by heatherchandler
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, lovinbob said:

Max Brooks is both physically and intellectually hot as hell. The best of both parents. 

Pretty sure Bill had Ernie Moniz on to be taller than someone. Because he certainly wasn’t trying to let Moniz talk—he barely let him get a word in. 

I’ve seen him a few times while running in the morning (I think he lives in my neighborhood).  He is definitely shorter than me.

12 hours ago, iMonrey said:

10 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

He contradicted himself, during the same town hall. I don’t think it helps to add that context as it makes him look like a moron.  But I think what Bill was getting at was that at one point in time, the scientists made these claims.  Then the science changed.  It happens, but that’s why it’s unfair to force anyone to do anything because of ever-changing discoveries.  

He was also trying to say to Max, that people should get the vaccine in order to keep themselves from getting deathly ill, which it probably does do, not because it keeps others from getting sick because it doesn’t.

This seems to be more to the point. Whether Biden, a non-scientist, misspoke at one point during an appearance matters if you're focused on explaining why nobody should have to follow guidelines. Because science is stupid and Biden is stupid (and probably lying) so you, the citizen, know as much as they (the elites) do.

If the vaccines lower (but don't eliminate) your risk of getting infected, it does keep you from spreading it.

• Love 7

Whether Biden, a non-scientist, misspoke at one point during an appearance matters if you're focused on explaining why nobody should have to follow guidelines. Because science is stupid and Biden is stupid (and probably lying) so you, the citizen, know as much as they (the elites) do.

If the vaccines lower (but don't eliminate) your risk of getting infected, it does keep you from spreading it.

Exactly. And Max's point was that he was not obligated to "respect" the basketball player's (?) choice not to get vaccinated, which Bill called "arrogant." 🙄   The only arrogant one on the panel was Bill.

• Love 8
49 minutes ago, sistermagpie said:

I'm not sure why Bill refuses to admit that getting vaccinated helps more than just yourself. No it doesn't mean it's impossible for you to get sick or spread covid, but it reduces the likelihood of you getting it, which means you are less likely to spread it. I'm fully vaccinated and boosted. Knock on wood, I haven't gotten covid. And as a healthy person around half Bill's age, I didn't get vaccinated for me, I did it to protect high risk people in my life, including one who can't get vaccinated. 

This whole "I'm healthy and thin, the rest of you can worry about yourselves" is a selfish attitude. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 7

I will admit that the Covid rules are out of whack with regards to the playing status of the non-vaxxed basketball player. A good comedian might have even been able to make a funny bit about it. 

I'm a little perplexed about Bill's attitude toward daylight savings time. If he's all about health, he should know that permanent DST has a downside. Americans already have a multitude of sleep issues that this won't help. 

Also, make room for me on the Max Brooks bandwagon.  If HBO gave him a show it might balance out the bitter aftertaste of Real Time. 

• Love 2

I'm not sure why Bill refuses to admit that getting vaccinated helps more than just yourself.

I don't understand his insistence on mask-shaming either. If anyone wants to wear a mask and it makes them feel safer, why the hell should he care? I can see where maybe it bugged him that his audience had to wear masks but kids walking down the street do not affect him in any way, shape or form.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 5

The real aggrieve anti-maskers will actually confront people.

Or these idiots would picket schools and during recess, try to lure kids to the fence and get them to take their masks off.

Yeah it's one thing not to want to wear masks personally.

But expressing annoyance that others choose to wear masks, even in his studio audience?

That's way more than following the science as he claims.  He's not citing any science when he fat shames, says people who die from covid are basically fat and old.

Edited by aghst
  • Love 1

Im beginning to thjnk that Bill was beat up by a fat kid when he was little. He brings up overweight people as often as he does masks, woke and his solar panels.  

He refuses to acknowledge the  reasons a.person can be overweight.  Maybe he should do a New Rule about maybe how we need to make more nutritious food more affordable. For a few years i made too much for food stamps leaving me only $50 a.month to buy food for 2 people and fresh fruits and veggies dont go far on 50.  I also became physically disabled which makes it difficult to exercise.   I know James Cordon responded to bill saying how people who can afford nutritionist, good food and a personal trainer still have difficulty losing weight.  Instead of criticizing and basically saying..just get thin why doesnt he offer solutions. 

Maybe we should critisize Bill about dealing with life WITHOUT smoking weed..cmon Bill, just stop.it should be easy.

• Love 4

I like Max Brooks, I like him a lot, but if I were scoring, I'd say Bill won the mask/vaccination debate with him. 

I think Max could have pwned him if he'd said, "Sure, none of these measures ensure that you won't get the virus, and they don't ensure that you won't spread it, but you were just expressing sympathy for the plight of healthcare workers, and the best way to support the healthcare workers is for you and everybody else to not need to be in the hospital due to Covid, and these measures indisputably do that."

• Love 1
(edited)
On 3/19/2022 at 10:56 PM, iMonrey said:

Biden also stated, accurately, that vaccinated people are less likely to catch the virus than unvaccinated people and, if they do catch it, are less likely to get sick

I have not seen anything to support that. Everyone getting it now that I know have been vaccinated. And their symptoms are similar to those I know who got it early 2020.

On 3/19/2022 at 1:18 PM, heatherchandler said:

We are all off for like a week when we reset, and it just doesn’t make sense.

Years ago I remember they tried this. It was very dark at 8 am and children were getting hit by cars on the way to school. I read someone debunking that by saying more kids get hit by cars in the afternoon. I’m not sure what’s true here, but I do remember the morning darkness.

Edited by Tara
47 minutes ago, Tara said:

I have not seen anything to support that. Everyone getting it now that I know have been vaccinated. And their symptoms are similar to those I know who got it early 2020.

Years ago I remember they tried this. It was very dark at 8 am and children were getting hit by cars on the way to school. I read someone debunking that by saying more kids get hit by cars in the afternoon. I’m not sure what’s true here, but I do remember the morning darkness.

Am I the only person who likes morning darkness?  I don’t want any kids, or anyone to get hit by a car but I love waking up in the dark.  I hate waking up with the sun in my eyes.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Tara said:

No one person is going to be able to see anything to support it one way or the other by looking around at themselves and people they know. 

• Love 3
(edited)
5 hours ago, sistermagpie said:

No one person is going to be able to see anything to support it one way or the other by looking around at themselves and people they know. 

That’s pretty funny. I feel more comfortable with believing nothing that I hear and only half of what I see than the other way around.

Edited by Tara
  • Love 1

Folks,

We are not here to debate people's personal experience with covid or knowledge of who within their group of family, friends, and acquaintances has or has not had covid and to what extent the were impacted by it.  Nor is it worthwhile to continue this as a debate point related to the show. It's time to move on. 

• Love 3