Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, Mirabelle said:

Are Davis/Smolkin really the third best pair from Russia? They seemed slow to me which is not something which I ever thought could be said of Russian ice dancers.

Actually Zagorski/Guirerro are #3, but Tiff has had some very serious health issues this fall/winter and couldn't compete.

32 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Shocking to me but I enjoyed Davis/Smolkin's FD despite that wretched music.

I thought he looked a little shaky on a couple of those lifts. I'm surprised they scored ahead of the Finns, who opened with what I thought was an incredibly difficult rotational lift sequence.

Edited by legaleagle53
4 minutes ago, Mirabelle said:

Are Davis/Smolkin really the third best pair from Russia? They seemed slow to me which is not something which I ever thought could be said of Russian ice dancers.

Well, there's Skating While Russian and then there's Skating While Being Eteri's daughter. I can't imagine it hurt her chances.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, GeminiDancer said:

You know Madison Chock would have gone in, down to caw-cawing on ice.

What is Wade Robson doing? He could really help with upper body movements for these dancers. Someone should hire him to co-choreograph.

See Hummingbird, So You Think You Can Dance.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

What is Wade Robson doing? He could really help with upper body movements for these dancers. Someone should hire him to co-choreograph.

See Hummingbird, So You Think You Can Dance.

I'd love to see Rohene Ward choreograph some ice dance programs... If Shae-Lynn can choreograph the men, he can work with ice dancers.

• Love 4

Tanith has been pointing out the reasons for lower levels from some of the early skaters. She was full of praise for H/B but didn't explain why some of their levels were low. I find them quite lovely and don't understand why they don't score higher, so I wish she had explained more about their performance. 

• Love 3
Just now, justmehere said:

Tanith has been pointing out the reasons for lower levels from some of the early skaters. She was full of praise for H/B but didn't explain why some of their levels were low. I find them quite lovely and don't understand why they don't score higher, so I wish she had explained more about their performance. 

I think it might be skating while #3 US team who have also been out for a considerable amount of time due to injury.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, GeminiDancer said:

I think it might be skating while #3 US team who have also been out for a considerable amount of time due to injury.

I do think if both of the top teams retire they would magically find some levels. But I assume some of it is edges, or how closely they skate to each other? From what I hear (I'm not someone who could analyze this myself), they have a similar dynamic to C/B in that Jean Luc is by far the better technical skater--but I'll let someone who actually knows what they're talking about confirm. 

• Love 1
Just now, Jillibean said:

I do think if both of the top teams retire they would magically find some levels. But I assume some of it is edges, or how closely they skate to each other? From what I hear (I'm not someone who could analyze this myself), they have a similar dynamic to C/B in that Jean Luc is by far the better technical skater--but I'll let someone who actually knows what they're talking about confirm. 

I think what's separating them from the top groups is speed. I notice that while very lovely they don't skate with much speed. If you compare the top dance teams to them, you'll see a lot slower skating. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
Just now, Lady Whistleup said:

I think what's separating them from the top groups is speed. I notice that while very lovely they don't skate with much speed. If you compare the top dance teams to them, you'll see a lot slower skating. 

Speed plus the lack of height difference.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, annzeepark914 said:

I've read at different sites (like FSU & Golden Skate), that the lack of height difference is something that judges seem to have a problem with.

And it's so unfortunate because it's not as if Jean-Luc can get any taller...

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I've read at different sites (like FSU & Golden Skate), that the lack of height difference is something that judges seem to have a problem with.

It's partly a matter of judging preference and partly how it affects certain elements (lifts, mainly).

• Love 1
Just now, Lady Whistleup said:

I also think that Hawayek/Baker don't have the "look" judges prize. Ice dance judges seem to like a fashion model look. I've even heard gripes that Guillaume Cizeron doesn't have the "look" they want either.

What??? Cizeron doesn't have the "look"? What kind of look do they want? Donahue?

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, GeminiDancer said:

What??? Cizeron doesn't have the "look"? What kind of look do they want? Donahue?

I heard on TSL something like he doesn't look "like a man." Take that sort of comment what you will.

Edited by Lady Whistleup
1 minute ago, Lady Whistleup said:

I heard on TSL something like he doesn't look "like a man." Take that sort of comment what you will.

I'm both stunned and not surprised because I know that he's had comments, especially from that Russian judge. Ugh... this sport...

• Love 5
Just now, galaxygirl76 said:

This version of The Long and Winding Road is still garbage.

I'm a fair weather (ie, Olympics only) viewer, and I have to say I've been horrified by some of the music, especially how discordant some of it's been.

• Love 4

watching the final group now, I'm wondering why the closecaptioning always seems to cover the graphics on screen.  When skaters are being introduced it covers their names, ranking, country, music, etc. and during the skate it covers the score box.  WTF?  is this my cable company or NBC?

• Love 1
1 minute ago, GeminiDancer said:

Awww. I'm so bummed she slipped. I love this program for them.

I actually really love this couple and hope they move to the top in this next quad.

That has to be a bummer. They just got a bout of covid, rushed here, and didn't skate their best.

Edited by Lady Whistleup

I loved how Tanith said that Madison Chock is one of the best performers out there.  This couple, for me, is a great reminder that Ice Dancing is more than romance.  Dance is about interpretation in movement not just romance.

• Love 23