Type keyword(s) to search

The Opening Ceremony: Let The Games Begin

• Start Topic

It looks like Peacock is streaming everything, but that's still NBC.

Is anyone planning to watch? I swear the games have had the least buildup of any I can remember in my 47 years. I get the reasons why. I just feel for the athletes. 

• Love 2

I'll be up getting the kids ready for school so I might watch the ceremony live (it's at 6:30 a.m. so if I snarl at the TV about how ugly the uniforms for the Opening Ceremony look, it's because I haven't had any coffee yet). I am interested to see how they handle everything on Peacock. For the Summer Games the NBC Sports app was really good so hopefully Peacock isn't total trash.

5 hours ago, tanyak said:

Is anyone planning to watch? I swear the games have had the least buildup of any I can remember in my 47 years. I get the reasons why. I just feel for the athletes. 

I'll be watching bright and early at 6:30am. One benefit of isolating at home after a positive Covid test 👍

I feel like the amount of buildup you sense depends on where you're watching. In some ways it does seem muted, but I watch the local news on an NBC station and there's tons of publicity there, both during the newscast and in the commercials. I also follow nbcolympics on instagram and they've been hitting it hard as well (so much so that I actually unfollow them during the Olympics themselves because it's just too much)

On 2/2/2022 at 1:29 PM, tanyak said:

I noticed this too. I also understand why and wouldn't get into it.

I am looking forward to watching the events themselves. 

• Love 2

Well, I guess I was stupid not to add time to my DVR, since it cut off with them bringing in the Olympic flag.

They really needed to turn up the mike on the woman providing background commentary in Beijing. I could barely hear her.

Getting up at 6:30 turned out to be pointless, since it was just "pregame" chatter and promoting the only 4 athletes we're apparently supposed to care about. But the ceremony itself was nice, very stripped down from 2008 obviously, but that's not a bad thing really. I always feel bad for the volunteers lining the walkway as the athletes come in, having to maintain the happy dancing for all that time.

I don't know what happened but I taped it on TSN4 - but there was this robotic voice throughout it and it just took me out of it. Luckily CBC.ca had a recording and i watched it there.

I have to say - China sure knows how to design a programme. 

I love the snowflake outfits of the sign carriers, the laser light show on the iceblock..
Canada was very red. lol

• Love 3
16 hours ago, Daisy said:

I almost... forgot this was happening! 
Me. forgetting an Olympics!! holy moses!

Will wonders never cease! Having said that, I forgot to record the opening ceremony, so I guess I'll have to wait tntil 8 p.m. to watch the replay on CBC.

Seems like we were just here yesterday.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, ferjy said:

Will wonders never cease! Having said that, I forgot to record the opening ceremony, so I guess I'll have to wait tntil 8 p.m. to watch the replay on CBC.

Seems like we were just here yesterday.

hewwo friend!!! :D

• Love 3
28 minutes ago, Daisy said:

hewwo friend!!! :D

{{{waves}}}  Hey, buddy! Another few sleepless weeks coming up!

Apparently Charles Hamelin was the flag-bearer for Canada. I wasn't sure he'd still be competing. He was great in 2010 in Vancouver.

CBC isn't broadcasting the Olympics at the moment. I'm having to watch NBC which of course is showing the American skaters.

Edited by ferjy
3 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

I can barely hear the NBC announcers over the music. If only there was a way the sound engineer could fix that between this morning and now 🙄

My husband was complaining loudly when he couldn't hear the explanation of the order of entry of the countries.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Crashcourse said:

The sideline greeters are certainly getting their exercise.

I kind of feel sorry for them, they will be exhausted by the end. on the other hand, they get to be in an Olympics ceremony.

I like the dresses the snowflake bearers are wearing.

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, Constant Viewer said:

I kind of feel sorry for them, they will be exhausted by the end. on the other hand, they get to be in an Olympics ceremony.

I like the dresses the snowflake bearers are wearing.

I figured they trained almost like the Olympic athletes to get in shape. 

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

We haven't even gotten to Tonga yet, Crashcourse. I do wonder who will be standing in for Pita, though.

Yes, that might be interesting.

Understandably, Tonga isn't there.

Edited by Crashcourse

My television has pretty good color, it's usually fairly true, but almost all the colors of the teams jackets, coats, etc looked washed out and the flags of all the countries too. I wonder if it had to do with the color lights of the arena and the led screen they were walking on. Reds and whites were bright, but blues were particularly washed out. I really noticed it with Great Britain's flag.