Type keyword(s) to search

Most Romantic Movie of All Time

• Start Topic

Poll: Most Romantic Movie of All Time   POLL OPEN

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What do you think is the most romantic movie of all time? I'm a millennial, so the two that come to mind are The Notebook and Titanic. I know there have been so many other romantic movies throughout the years though. I wasn't sure what else to include in the poll, but I'd love to check out everyone's favorites! They can be newer, older, comedic, just whatever you think is the greatest love story you've seen in film. 

Neither, to be honest. I strongly dislike the Notebook. Titanic was ok, but I only like the first half, before it turns from romantic to catastrophic, so I would not pick it as the best, but I understand why many do, it's well done.

I am not much fan of movies that are just romances, to be honest, I prefer the romantic subplot to be secondary to some other plot, but I have some favorites: Shakespeare in Love, Disney movies, Jane Austen adaptations (the favorite is Sense and Sensibility from 1995). Not sure if I would pick them to be objectively the best there is, but I can't really think of any that I would choose. I usually see movies like Pretty Woman, Dirty Dancing, Bodyguard or some of Meg Ryan's movies at the top of such lists, but while they are ok to watch, I always find some problem with those. 

• Love 6
On 12/24/2021 at 10:18 AM, JustHereForFood said:

Neither, to be honest. I strongly dislike the Notebook. Titanic was ok, but I only like the first half, before it turns from romantic to catastrophic, so I would not pick it as the best, but I understand why many do, it's well done.

I am not much fan of movies that are just romances, to be honest, I prefer the romantic subplot to be secondary to some other plot, but I have some favorites: Shakespeare in Love, Disney movies, Jane Austen adaptations (the favorite is Sense and Sensibility from 1995). Not sure if I would pick them to be objectively the best there is, but I can't really think of any that I would choose. I usually see movies like Pretty Woman, Dirty Dancing, Bodyguard or some of Meg Ryan's movies at the top of such lists, but while they are ok to watch, I always find some problem with those. 

I'll check those out! Thank you.  I was wondering what everyone's favorites were since most voted other. Pretty Woman and Dirty Dancing are two of my other favorites. What I like about them is they are more feel good. I can't watch The Notebook or Titanic if I'm already feeling down. 

• Love 2

Casablanca. Most romantic film ever.

The Princess Bride. Romantic and funny.

Brokeback Mountain. If you like your romance with a big helping of gut-wrenching tragedy.

Mahogany, often overlooked, starring Diana Ross and Billy Dee Williams.

Roman Holiday, yes there is a huge age gap, but it still works, Audrey Hepburn and Gregory Peck.

Amelie, the subtitles are worth it.

• Love 9

I think I have too many suggestions to name.  Like around 10 or more.  Hard to narrow it down.

So I will just say that before COVID I got to see two movies in the theatre because of Valentine's Day and other promotions:  Notting Hill and Pride and Prejudice (2005) and they both absolutely CRUSHED me.  Love them both.

• Love 4
On 12/26/2021 at 6:47 PM, Snow Apple said:

While You Were Sleeping. Not only for the romance, but it's about family. I really enjoy movies where there's no villain (like a crazy evil ex or something like that). 

So much this. My favorite rom-com ever (it even beats my other fave, When Harry Met Sally...).

But for me, the most romantic movie ever is a trilogy, commonly known as the Before Trilogy: 1. Before Sunrise, 2, Before Sunset, and 3. Before Midnight. If I have to choose one film, I'd say Before Sunset gives me the most butterfly-romantic feels, but for the best experience, watch all 3 movies in order.

On 12/26/2021 at 4:21 PM, RealHousewife said:

I'll check those out! Thank you.  I was wondering what everyone's favorites were since most voted other. Pretty Woman and Dirty Dancing are two of my other favorites. What I like about them is they are more feel good. I can't watch The Notebook or Titanic if I'm already feeling down. 

Dirty Dancing is one of my favorite movies. period. For the romance but also for the dancing. 

• Love 7
16 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I think I have too many suggestions to name.  Like around 10 or more.  Hard to narrow it down.

So I will just say that before COVID I got to see two movies in the theatre because of Valentine's Day and other promotions:  Notting Hill and Pride and Prejudice (2005) and they both absolutely CRUSHED me.  Love them both.

Those two have actually been on my list of movies to watch! I saw them on lists for most romantic movie. I also tend to really enjoy Julia Roberts. 

I've also been wanting to watch The Princess Bride. 

@topanga Yes, the dancing is a big part of the appeal for me too. :)

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

Those two have actually been on my list of movies to watch! I saw them on lists for most romantic movie. I also tend to really enjoy Julia Roberts. 

And if you like Pride and Prejudice, I would also suggest 2004 adaptation of North & South with Daniela Denby-Ashe and Richard Armitage. It's an adaptation of a book by another author, Elizabeth Gaskell, but it reminded me so much of Pride and Prejudice. (Technically, it's a TV miniseries with 4 episodes, but it can be watched all in one sitting, so I guess I'll cheat a bit.)

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
14 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

I had seen them both a few times but seeing them on the big screen and at this particular time just really helped me feel them both very deeply.  I didn't understand the appeal of "Notting Hill" when I was younger.

I hope that you enjoy!  Let us know what you think.

1 minute ago, JustHereForFood said:

And if you like Pride and Prejudice, I would also suggest 2004 adaptation of North & South with Daniela Denby-Ashe and Richard Armitage. It's an adaptation of a book by another author, Elizabeth Gaskell, but it reminded me so much of Pride and Prejudice. (Technically, it's a TV miniseries with 4 episodes, but it can be watched all in one sitting, so I guess I'll cheat a bit.)

Thank you

• Love 3
56 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

Pride and Prejudice fans, have you read the book? I've heard the book is also amazing, so I wonder if I should read the book first. 

The book is great and in my opinion definitely deserves its status as a classic. Normally I am team Book First! but if you haven't read literature from Austen's era before then I recommend seeing the movie first to ease yourself into her world and get a sense of what's going on. That's what I did and I think if I had tried to read the book first I would have given up.

And if I can also cheat, I'd recommend starting with the '95 miniseries version. 🙂 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

Romance is very much not my jam, so there aren't many films largely or exclusively about romantic relationships I love; I can't really help you with "romantic" films, as many - e.g. Titanic - are things I would not watch again with a gun to my head.  But I enjoy the love stories - particularly when they're secondary, rather than the focus - in:

- The Best Years of Our Lives (one of cinema's best moments is when Millie disabuses her daughter of the idea the parents never had any trouble in their relationship, turning to her husband and asking, "How many times have I told you I hated you and believed it in my heart?  How many times have you said you were sick and tired of me, that we were all washed up?  How many times have we had to fall in love all over again?")

- The Big Sick

- Big Night

- Dirty Dancing (this is such a wonderfully feminist film, a rarity in the romance genre)

- Moonlight

- Fried Green Tomatoes (the script wusses out in adapting the book, presenting Ruth and Idgie as friends only, but the actors play it as the beautiful love story it is)

- Real Women Have Curves

- The Incredibly True Adventures of Two Girls in Love

- Kissing Jessica Stein (when Jessica tells her mother without saying it the friend she'd been bringing around was actually a woman she'd fallen in love with, the stereotypical Jewish mom who'd spent years trying to fix her daughter up via the declaration "He's a very nice boy", says, "I think she's a very nice girl," and I burst into tears every time at her acceptance)

- Desk Set (Really, just about any film Katharine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy did together - Nick and Nora Charles (The Thin Man) have the best marriage in film, but their Amanda and Adam Potter (Adam's Rib) are a nice second and their chemistry in first collaboration Woman of the Year is off the charts - but I'll highlight this one for setting a developing romance against the backdrop of a declaration computers can aid but never replace human knowledge and experience, and for being about people in their 50s)

- Love & Basketball

- On the Basis of Sex (the marriage between Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Martin Ginsburg was a shining example of mutual respect and an egalitarian approach to marriage and family, and this film captured it well - while showing that even men like Marty needed to have their male privilege and the ways microaggressions add up pointed out sometimes)

- Bend It Like Beckham 

- Holiday (not The Holiday, Holiday - an underrated gem among the Katharine Hepburn/Cary Grant collaborations)

- Libeled Lady

- Bringing Up Baby (one of my favorite films of all time, and, IMO, the best screwball comedy ever)

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Pride and Prejudice fans, have you read the book? I've heard the book is also amazing, so I wonder if I should read the book first. 

I haven't.  I have read Bridget Jones' Diary many times which is a 1990s adaptation of P&P that specifically references the 1995 Pride and Prejudice miniseries.  Colin Firth is in the 1995 P&P miniseries and that is why he is also the love interest in the "Bridget Jones Diary" film adaptation.

I am not really a fan of Colin Firth, I just don't get it at all, so I'm happy that I started with the 2005 P&P because that is much more my jam.  I adore Keira and Matthew in it like CRAZY.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
On 12/26/2021 at 4:21 PM, RealHousewife said:

Pretty Woman and Dirty Dancing are two of my other favorites. 

Same here!  If you haven't seen them I would also recommend Music & Lyrics, Fever Pitch (2005), and The Wedding Singer.  Oh my god, even typing that out I didn't realize that Drew Barrymore is the love interest in all three, so uh, you probably have to be okay with her to like the movies!  Haha.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, LilWharveyGal said:

The book is great and in my opinion definitely deserves its status as a classic. Normally I am team Book First! but if you haven't read literature from Austen's era before then I recommend seeing the movie first to ease yourself into her world and get a sense of what's going on. That's what I did and I think if I had tried to read the book first I would have given up.

And if I can also cheat, I'd recommend starting with the '95 miniseries version. 🙂 

Thank you for the advice! I generally believe in reading the book first so you can imagine everything in your own head before thinking about the movie, but I am tempted to just watch the movie so I don't have to wait forever to do so. I'll look into the miniseries. 

1 hour ago, Bastet said:

- Love & Basketball

- On the Basis of Sex (the marriage between Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Martin Ginsburg was a shining example of mutual respect and an egalitarian approach to marriage and family, and this film captured it well - while showing that even men like Marty needed to have their male privilege and the ways microaggressions add up pointed out sometimes)

Appreciate all your recommendations but have to comment on these two that I've watched. Love & Basketball was actually my favorite movie when I was younger! I thought it was a beautiful, but realistic love story. Most of us can't relate to being on The Titanic for example. I just loved it because you really saw the characters grow up together and fall in love, no cheesiness or love at first sight silliness. As I got older, I started to appreciate movies for visual elements a lot too. That's when stuff like Titanic becomes fun for me. Also the reason I started Bridgerton when I normally watch reality TV and sitcoms. 

I did also really like on The Basis of Sex. Totally different vibe than the movies I listed, but definitely a great one for the reasons you mentioned. 

1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I haven't.  I have read Bridget Jones' Diary many times which is a 1990s adaptation of P&P that specifically references the 1995 Pride and Prejudice miniseries.  Colin Firth is in the 1995 P&P miniseries and that is why he is also the love interest in the "Bridget Jones Diary" film adaptation.

I am not really a fan of Colin Firth, I just don't get it at all, so I'm happy that I started with the 2005 P&P because that is much more my jam.  I adore Keira and Matthew in it like CRAZY.  

Ohh! I had no clue about any of that! Thank you for letting me know. I did see Bridget Jones' Diary once many years ago. I probably ought to rewatch that sometime too.

1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Same here!  If you haven't seen them I would also recommend Music & Lyrics, Fever Pitch (2005), and The Wedding Singer.  Oh my god, even typing that out I didn't realize that Drew Barrymore is the love interest in all three, so uh, you probably have to be okay with her to like the movies!  Haha.

Thanks! I have a nice long list of movies to check out now. :) I think Drew seems sweet, so no problems with her here. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I just saw Music & Lyrics for the first time ever and I very much enjoyed it. It was really cute and fun. And the music was great, too. 

I also like The Wedding Singer. And Never Been Kissed. It does seem like Drew Barrymore fits particularly well into the romantic comedy world - she's just got a generally likeable presence about her, and she's good at creating a sweet chemistry with her co-stars. 

Lots of good recommendations in here that I've not seen, so I may need to keep this list on hand as well. 

• Love 8
7 hours ago, Bastet said:

Holiday (not The Holiday, Holiday - an underrated gem among the Katharine Hepburn/Cary Grant collaborations)

So underrated!  I love that movie, too.  Cary and Katharine have so much fun!  I also enjoyed The Holiday, despite Jack Black.

6 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Music & Lyrics

Also underrated.

2 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I also like The Wedding Singer. And Never Been Kissed. It does seem like Drew Barrymore fits particularly well into the romantic comedy world - she's just got a generally likeable presence about her, and she's good at creating a sweet chemistry with her co-stars. 

Drew really grew up well after such a rocky start.  I never can decide if I like The Wedding Singer for just the music or for the story, too, but I like it a lot.  

Edited by Browncoat
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
13 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I read the book first and liked both adaptations, but still prefer the book. I saw Sense and Sensibility first, then read the book and I prefer the movie 😄. So, there.

And since Drew Barrymore was mentioned, I also recommend Ever After, a really amazing version of Cinderella.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
9 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Ohh! I had no clue about any of that! Thank you for letting me know. I did see Bridget Jones' Diary once many years ago. I probably ought to rewatch that sometime too.

That's one of my favourites, I love Renee and Hugh in it.  I like them both in almost anything.  (I think I've already mentioned like 3 of Hugh's movies and he's also in "Sense and Sensibility").  It's also something I tend to watch at Christmas.   "Two Weeks Notice" is actually my favourite Hugh movie but I don't know if it's the most romantic per se.  "Jerry Maguire" is my favourite Renee, but ditto.  I think it's more realistic instead of the fantasy.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I just saw Music & Lyrics for the first time ever and I very much enjoyed it. It was really cute and fun. And the music was great, too. 

That's good.  This one had to grow on me like a few other romcoms (the 15 year age difference didn't enamour me!).  Didn't really get it at first, watched it again recently and was completely in love by the end.  Haha.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

Sense and Sensibility will always be my favorite.  I've seen it a dozen times or more over the years and have never gotten sick of it.  Dirty Dancing is a good one.  I also love The Princess BrideAbout Time was a good, but personally, I was more invested in the subplot of the relationship between the father and his son.   Besides Sense and Sensibility, I think the other one that I don't think I'll ever get tired of is Free Guy (believe it or not, it's a wonderfully fun romance movie).  I've seen it 7 times (not always in a theater and 5 of the 6 times after the first, I was happily introducing someone else to it. The 7th was on a cross country flight.  Lest you think I'm crazy.   :)  )

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
16 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

I adore this miniseries.  The chemistry between the leads is off the charts, and I love all the longing glances Richard gives.  And when they finally get together, I swoon.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 12/31/2021 at 5:41 PM, supposebly said:

Before Sunrise, Before Sunset, Before Midnight.

None of the other ones mentioned come even close IMO.

I saw that @topanga also named those, so I'll have to check them out! I wonder if they're on any of my streaming services. 

Titanic still has zero votes! lol 

I haven't watched it yet, but I've heard True Romance is amazing. Has anyone here seen it? 

• Love 1

Here’s a small list in no particular order. 
Holiday. Glad others have mentioned. I rewatch often.  the first time I saw it, in a repertory theater centuries ago, I sat through it twice. 
Pride and Prejudice 1995 series and 1940 movie. 
The Shop Around the Corner and its modern counterpart You’ve Got Mail. I don’t like that they were cheating on SOs in YGM but I always cry at the end. Also it was filmed in my neighborhood.  So many familiar sights. 

• Love 4
On 12/26/2021 at 9:52 PM, BlackberryJam said:

Casablanca. Most romantic film ever.

The Princess Bride. Romantic and funny.

Brokeback Mountain. If you like your romance with a big helping of gut-wrenching tragedy.

Mahogany, often overlooked, starring Diana Ross and Billy Dee Williams.

Roman Holiday, yes there is a huge age gap, but it still works, Audrey Hepburn and Gregory Peck.

Amelie, the subtitles are worth it.

OOOO I LOVE Mahogany! I havent seen that one in ages. Adding it to my list to watch soon.

On 12/28/2021 at 10:24 AM, JustHereForFood said:

And since Drew Barrymore was mentioned, I also recommend Ever After, a really amazing version of Cinderella.

This is my favorite live-action Cinderella. I do enjoy the 2015 live action Disney version (Cate Blanchett and the costumes were perfection), but given that it wasn't a musical, but felt like it SHOULD be, Ever After takes the cake for me.

I tend to prefer Romantic Comedies to Romantic Dramas, but on the Romantic Drama front a few not super popular movies I quite like are:

1. Every Day (2018)

2. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

• Love 3

Ooh, I love this thread! Glad I ventured off my home page and into Everything Else Movies. 🙂

So many good films have already been mentioned. I'll co-sign a few and add some others. 

I'm pleasantly surprised to see fellow fans of Holiday. Such an overlooked gem. Nice to see other films from the 1930s and 1940s mentioned too.

If I have to pick one "most romantic" film, I have to join those in the Pride & Prejudice (2005) camp. "You have bewitched me body and soul..." Swoon.

Also on my list: The Bridges of Madison County, Chocolat, Sabrina, Bend it Like Beckham, Something to Talk About, Bull Durham, Working Girl and more recently, Crazy Rich Asians. I'm looking forward to the sequel(s) as I've read all three of Kevin Kwan's books.

@Snow Apple mentioned loving While You Were Sleeping not just for the romance, but also for the family. I feel the same way about that film. Another of my favorites that falls into the same category is Return to Me. The slow-developing romance is delightful, but the supporting cast of family and friends makes the movie IMO.

• Love 6
13 hours ago, ProudMary said:

Bull Durham, Working Girl 

Oh, I can't believe I left Bull Durham off my list.  I love it as a baseball movie and I love Annie, and I also really like the relationship in that one.  It's one of the few films in which I can stand Kevin Costner.

Working Girl I like, but not the relationship between Tess and whatever Harrison Ford's name is.  He's another actor I generally do not enjoy, and this is one of the roles in which he very much does not do it for me.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Yeah, Working Girl grew on me over time, but I don't like the "romance" in it, no offense........... I like the work politics, the stuff with all the women.

14 hours ago, ProudMary said:

@Snow Apple mentioned loving While You Were Sleeping not just for the romance, but also for the family. I feel the same way about that film. Another of my favorites that falls into the same category is Return to Me. The slow-developing romance is delightful, but the supporting cast of family and friends makes the movie IMO.

While You were Sleeping is one of my favourite Christmas comfort films.  Same goes with Sleepless in Seattle.

• Useful 1

Pride and Prejudice and Ever After

I love that both characters have things to overcome. Darcy has too much pride and was a snot in the beginning and Lizzy had her own prejudices and realizing that she believed all of Wickham's lies. As much as I love romance movies so few actually have any character growth or they have a misunderstanding that usually can be fixed with a conversation. Darcy fixing everything for Lydia and Wickham for Lizzy is so amazing. Their both great characters full of sarcasm. Also Jane and Bingley's story they are very cute. I love how excited Bingley is about everything. He's the only one of his group happy about going to the dance and happy at the ball. He tries to have a good time and he does. He really is a nice guy.

Ever After

Henry starts out bad but gets better. Danielle is smart and brave but has very limited options. It takes her a long time to realize her stepmother is horrible. I love that Danielle doesn't hesitate when Henry is stealing her horse and throws fruit at him. Their connection and watching them spend time together was really well done. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Ooh so many good movies. Most of the ones I’d list have already been mentioned — Sense and Sensibility, The Wedding Singer, Ever After, When Harry Met Sally, The Big Sick, Crazy Rich Asians, Roman Holiday, Sabrina…

But one of my all-time favorites is Continental Divide with John Belushi and Blair Brown, a 1981 movie that doesn’t nearly get as much love as it should, mostly because nobody thought Belushi could be a romantic lead. This movie proves them wrong. Plus, the mountain scenery and footage of bald eagles is nothing short of spectacular. 

Seriously, guys, if you’ve never seen it, rent it ASAP, you will thank me.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
On 1/22/2022 at 8:02 AM, Spartan Girl said:

Ooh so many good movies. Most of the ones I’d list have already been mentioned — Sense and Sensibility, The Wedding Singer, Ever After, When Harry Met Sally, The Big Sick, Crazy Rich Asians, Roman Holiday, Sabrina…

But one of my all-time favorites is Continental Divide with John Belushi and Blair Brown, a 1981 movie that doesn’t nearly get as much love as it should, mostly because nobody thought Belushi could be a romantic lead. This movie proves them wrong. Plus, the mountain scenery and footage of bald eagles is nothing short of spectacular. 

Seriously, guys, if you’ve never seen it, rent it ASAP, you will thank me.

You're right, never heard of that movie. I'll add it to the list. Thank you!

• Love 1

Okay, unpopular opinion y'all, but was anyone else not blown away by the 2005 Pride and Prejudice, or should I rewatch it? I was expecting it to become another all-time favorite, but no such luck. 

It was beautifully shot with pretty music, but besides that, I found it boring. I wasn't super impressed by the script or the acting. I didn't see the chemistry between Elizabeth and Darcy either. Maybe I had a hard time getting into it because I don't connect as well with period pieces despite their beauty and am new to Jane Austen. I don't know. I just didn't see a riveting love story like Rose and Jack or Allie and Noah. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Okay, unpopular opinion y'all, but was anyone else not blown away by the 2005 Pride and Prejudice, or should I rewatch it? I was expecting it to become another all-time favorite, but no such luck. 

Nah. I much prefer the 1995 mini series.  I wasn't overly keen on the movie version. I would've liked your post but I wasn't all that taken with love stories in The Notebook or Titanic either.

On 12/27/2021 at 11:55 PM, Bastet said:

Libeled Lady

Loy and Powell.  This is my favorite of theirs and they're one of my favorite duos.

On 12/27/2021 at 11:55 PM, Bastet said:

- Dirty Dancing (this is such a wonderfully feminist film, a rarity in the romance genre)

Such a good point.  Great dancing.  Great music.  It is so rewatchable.  Boo to the "realistic ending" revamp ABC did a few years ago. 

I'm a sucker for Ephron trilogy with Meg Ryan (when harry met sally, while you were sleeping and you've got mail.)

I'm going to throw out an oddball opinion:  Secretary

• Love 7
27 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I would've liked your post but I wasn't all that taken with love stories in The Notebook or Titanic either.

I find the "love" story in Titanic ridiculous.  Not just that this piece of shit storyline is the made-up centerpiece for a real story in which far more interesting real people lived and died, but that even as presented it's total crap in which I cannot possibly emotionally invest.  Their few-day "romance" making her all in for being a poor woman in 1912 America is absurd enough at her young age, and still being on about him a zillion years later is beyond, even considering the trauma of his death.  I'm not sure I've ever seen a film so simultaneously visually stunning and utterly stupid. 

27 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Such a good point.  Great dancing.  Great music.  It is so rewatchable.  Boo to the "realistic ending" revamp ABC did a few years ago. 

I didn't even remember that happened so I just looked it up - is your objection to the fact they didn't stay together, something more specific (that wasn't detailed in the articles I read), that it confirmed their relationship ran its course and they moved on, or something else?  Because I never imagined or hoped they stayed together, but I like leaving them where we do rather than following up with reality.

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I didn't even remember that happened so I just looked it up - is your objection to the fact they didn't stay together, something more specific (that wasn't detailed in the articles I read), that it confirmed their relationship ran its course and they moved on, or something else?  Because I never imagined or hoped they stayed together, but I like leaving them where we do rather than following up with reality.

There's a lot not to like about the movie--giving the parents marital trouble, bad acting, meh dancing, no chemistry....etc. but yes, it was basically the decision to add the ending.

They did not understand the assignment.  A made-for-TV-remake of a beloved classic film should at least try to evoke the emotions and purpose of the original.  Modify things if needed to modernize them but people are watching to feel the same emotions of the original.  There's a reason coming-of-age movies end just as they hit the "age" part and don't continue into adulthood.  There's excitement of feeling like one has found their independence all the while not knowing what the future holds.

No one was asking to know what happened to Johnny and Baby in 20 years.  Them not ending up together is probably a very realistic outcome but it's a realistic outcome in a movie that isn't necessarily about total realism. It's about a girl who can't dance learning a professional dance routine in 2 weeks.  And this "realistic ending" that they decided to add on where Baby and Johnny don't end up together?  It involves her attending the opening of the Broadway play that he directed/choreographed/wrote? based on their love story.  It's a wholly unrealistic place for Johnny to be.  More people end up with their teenage lovers than end up working on Broadway, especially back then. 

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

Nah. I much prefer the 1995 mini series.  I wasn't overly keen on the movie version. I would've liked your post but I wasn't all that taken with love stories in The Notebook or Titanic either.

Loy and Powell.  This is my favorite of theirs and they're one of my favorite duos.

I'm a sucker for Ephron trilogy with Meg Ryan (when harry met sally, while you were sleeping and you've got mail.)

I'm going to throw out an oddball opinion:  Secretary

I totally get we all have our own taste. Liked your post because it's good to know someone else wasn't impressed by the 2005 Pride & Prejudice. So many people love it I thought, was I just not paying enough attention? It was hard for me to focus because the dialogue just didn't interest me. Very pretty film though. 

I'll explain why I enjoyed The Notebook and Titanic. Just in case anyone hasn't seen either of these, using spoilers.

Spoiler

With The Notebook, I love the idea of growing old together and being with and loving someone until the very end. I have a hard time watching when Allie has no idea who he is, but I want someone to love me the way Noah loved Allie. It doesn't hurt that Ryan Gosling is so darn cute. Rachel McAdams might just be my favorite actress period. She's talented and picks great projects imo. 

With Titanic, first of all, I just find the ship itself fascinating, so the script will instantly interest me. I also think Kate and Leo really delivered acting and chemistry. Who doesn't root for two good people who aren't meant to be together in people's eyes? Rose didn't even feel alive until she fell for Jack. It was heartbreaking for her to lose him. The movie was gorgeous visually, and and My Heart Will Go On is iconic!

This lists my two favorites as the top two!

https://www.self.com/story/is-titanic-really-the-most-rom

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, RealHousewife said:

I'll explain why I enjoyed The Notebook and Titanic. Just in case anyone hasn't seen either of these, using spoilers.

Oh no shame in loving what you love.  Embrace it.  I do not judge. But I felt zilch from those romances and so I feel so alien when they're brought up.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, RealHousewife said:

I totally get we all have our own taste. Liked your post because it's good to know someone else wasn't impressed by the 2005 Pride & Prejudice. So many people love it I thought, was I just not paying enough attention? It was hard for me to focus because the dialogue just didn't interest me. Very pretty film though. 

I didn't like it either. 

• Love 3

There is a big divide in those who loved the 2005 P&P and those who loved the 1995 miniseries. I’m in the miniseries camp. But the 2005 version is not universally loved.

I’ve never seen Titanic or The Notebook and never plan to. Ugh. I cannot buy DiCaprio as a romantic lead. He’s just…yeah, no. Ryan Gosling also does nothing for me. 

I also enjoyed Sliding Doors with Gwyneth Paltrow, who usually bugs me.

An Affair to Remember is worth your time.

All That Heaven Allows is romantic Rock Hudson, and is a May/December with the woman being older. 

Wild at Heart is romantic Nic Cage. I know, I know, but in that film, it works.

Brief Encounter is also a favorite.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

It could take time to work on you , maybe another rewatch, or it's simply not for you, which is fine.

I think that the first half of Titanic is like, a perfect romantic comedy.  I love it for that purpose.  And I still think the entire movie is great.  But I was the right age for being smack dab in LEO-MANIA.

I still haven't seen The Notebook.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 1
45 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

It could take time to work on you , maybe another rewatch, or it's simply not for you, which is fine.

I think that the first half of Titanic is like, a perfect romantic comedy.  I love it for that purpose.  And I still think the entire movie is great.  But I was the right age for being smack dab in LEO-MANIA.

I still haven't seen The Notebook.  

I wouldn't mind playing it again because of how beautiful the film is.

You must watch The Notebook if you're into romance at all! You may not love it like I do, but I think it's worth a watch. 

• Love 2
17 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

It was beautifully shot with pretty music, but besides that, I found it boring. I wasn't super impressed by the script or the acting. I didn't see the chemistry between Elizabeth and Darcy either. Maybe I had a hard time getting into it because I don't connect as well with period pieces despite their beauty and am new to Jane Austen. I don't know. I just didn't see a riveting love story like Rose and Jack or Allie and Noah. 

I detest the 2005 film and consider it a bastardization by someone who clearly did not understand the book at all.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

I wouldn't mind playing it again because of how beautiful the film is.

You must watch The Notebook if you're into romance at all! You may not love it like I do, but I think it's worth a watch. 

But...but...if I watch The Notebook, I'm just going to be thinking "That Ryan Gosling character is giving me serial killer vibes. He's going to lock her in a basement and skin her, isn't he?" ;) I seriously do not get the appeal. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
15 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

But...but...if I watch The Notebook, I'm just going to be thinking "That Ryan Gosling character is giving me serial killer vibes. He's going to lock her in a basement and skin her, isn't he?" ;) I seriously do not get the appeal. 

crazy-stupid-love-abs.gif

• Love 3