Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E08: Separated

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

McCall and Mel help a deported woman track down her son after she was separated from him while seeking asylum at the U.S. border. Also, Mel, McCall and Bishop exhaust every avenue to get Harry released from prison.

Airing January 2, 2022.

• Love 1
51 minutes ago, paigow said:

Maybe McCall will receive half of a text from Bishop. Discovering next week that he is dead and the last thing he did was hit send

Not something they can do since Bishop is in several of the upcoming episodes.

GUEST CAST:
Andrea Cortés (Alma Castillo)
Logan J. Alarcon-Poucel (Pedro)
Brad Fleishcher (Agent Ike Deleo)
Tyler Lansing Weaks (Nate Yardley)
Nick Rehberger (Mr. Hobson)
Tara Anika Nicolas (Mrs. Hobson)
Liam Nixon Cesar (Manny)
Peter Jay Fernandez (General Ryland)
Manny Galan (Rodrigo Perez)
Ebony Blake (Lorna)
Alyssa Bresahan (Vance)
Erik Potempa (Border Agent)
Kyle Rodriguez (Little Boy)
118145_1006b.jpg
118145_0273b.jpg
118145_0589b.jpg
118145_0971b.jpg
118145_1311b.jpg

So if you "accidentally" paid $10,000 to an illegal adoption ring for your child wouldn't you still be a world of shit once it was found out? Those parents were all "oh, it'll be fine" after discovering (if indeed they didn't know already) that the child they adopted wasn't actually up for sale. Well-intentioned child trafficking is still child trafficking, is it not?

It must be Delilah who stole the key to Aunt Vi's art locker, right? But why?

Gutsy of McCall to just assume Det. Dante will play along and very gutsy of her to assume that he answers all of his calls. Then again, his actual job seems to consist of waiting around for her to call anyhow.

Another entry in the Hawaii 5-0 file here with the wrong suspect being roughly interrogated. At least McCall apologized to him. And I was pleased that the overly helpful person in this episode made a face-heel turn immediately instead of waiting until the end of the episode like usual.

• Love 11
5 hours ago, dwmarch said:

Gutsy of McCall to just assume Det. Dante will play along and very gutsy of her to assume that he answers all of his calls. Then again, his actual job seems to consist of waiting around for her to call anyhow.

The D.A. gave McCall immunity- so Dante waits for her to solve all the major cases so he can become Captain... 

• LOL 3
11 hours ago, dwmarch said:

So if you "accidentally" paid $10,000 to an illegal adoption ring for your child wouldn't you still be a world of shit once it was found out? Those parents were all "oh, it'll be fine" after discovering (if indeed they didn't know already) that the child they adopted wasn't actually up for sale. Well-intentioned child trafficking is still child trafficking, is it not?

Both those things went through my mind but as far as the black market adoption thing, I find it hard to believe that there aren't some records somewhere from Mr. Dirty Ice Cop that wouldn't send authorities that couples way.

And yes, I went, Delilah took Aunt Vi's key because she's nosey, but to what end?

Bishop's free pass from some President was obvious but Harry staying off the computer.  That's never going to happen but it'll be interesting to see how they wiggle around that contrivance.  Also what happened to everything in the underground bunker?  Does he get personal items back aside from all the computer file stuff and all?  They'll probably write out Bishop with he's on some special assignment and then just stop mentioning him.

• Love 3

I am not sure what country the mother and son were escaping from, but it seems kind of weird that their first stop would be New York and even weirder that there would be ICE Agents there patrolling the border. But, I guess that was not going to stop the show from making their point.

The mother snuck into America twice! We need move ICE Agents securing our New York borders!

I am not sure why any American company would want children as laborers.

1 hour ago, AnimeMania said:

I am not sure what country the mother and son were escaping from, but it seems kind of weird that their first stop would be New York and even weirder that there would be ICE Agents there patrolling the border. But, I guess that was not going to stop the show from making their point.

The mother snuck into America twice! We need move ICE Agents securing our New York borders!

I thought it was the southern border and Pedro was one of the kids flown out to relieve overcrowding

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Raja said:

I thought it was the southern border and Pedro was one of the kids flown out to relieve overcrowding

I think the mother said she came back to the place where they separated them. I also think the ICE Agent was the same one that originally took Pedro.

There's just no putting that Bishop toothpaste back in the tube.  Every minute he was on screen just made me feel a bit twitchy.....

I KNEW I loved this episode because there was ZERO Delilah.  She's probably out selling Aunt Vi's art already, so she can make some more money to go to a concert on the sly, when Robyn thinks she's volunteering at a soup kitchen.  

• Love 5
3 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Mainly children in the US work in agriculture.  Most garment workers are grown women though that's not saying that children aren't used like in other countries.  As long as there's a throwaway culture, this is going to be a problem.  I think some of our law makers are trying to make it easier for teens to work longer hours and weaken the labor laws so they can step into some of the vacancies that have been left due to 'Rona.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

Wow - Okay. Harry is free already! But I was actually looking forward to a plot that might last more than an episode. Bishop said he can't use computers anymore;  but that's not going to last. So I guess the only thing to change from this whole plot is that Harry's 'alive' again?

Well, I guess no statement sweaters in this mostly serious episode.

18 hours ago, dwmarch said:

And I was pleased that the overly helpful person in this episode made a face-heel turn immediately instead of waiting until the end of the episode like usual.

That was kind of refreshing!

I was surprised that we got a scene with Aunt Vi since they made it seem like she wasn't going to be present. It was good, though, and it tied in to Robyn's arc. They're still being coy about who Delilah's father is; I hope it's a good reveal whenever they decide to let us know.

• Love 2

I thought Robyn said that Delilah was spending time with her dad.  When would she have had the time to take the key? And why? I thought the point of the scene was threefold - Robyn expressing vulnerability and doubt, Vi affirming her, and Vi inadvertently giving Robyn the idea of how to find Pedro. 

50 minutes ago, milkyaqua said:

I think some of our law makers are trying to make it easier for teens to work longer hours and weaken the labor laws so they can step into some of the vacancies that have been left due to 'Rona.

I just Googled this, because I was in disbelief.  Sigh. 

The writing for Harry and Mel has certainly improved this season. I actually think it might have been more entertaining if my theory of Harry's arrest being a front to get him free had panned out.  As it was, it was a bit anticlimactic.  

Gonna be honest - I was kind of surprised Alma was happy to remain here with Pedro after all the drama.  I thought it would have been an interesting twist for her to choose to return to Mexico, but I guess in the end she and Pedro would still be safer in NYC?

I'm curious to know what the show will do with Bishop.  Recast? Dismiss the character? Introduce another CIA asset that Robyn was close to?

• Love 5

The episode was ok.  I too am wondering how they will recast Bishop or just have him on extended leave on some mission.

You know Harry cannot stay away from computers.  He just won't get caught again.

I wonder if they will just close up the bar and set up shop with a new underground lair elsewhere.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, greekmom said:

You know Harry cannot stay away from computers.  He just won't get caught again.

Well, you know, he won't get caught until they need another plot where Robyn's "computer" is down.

Edited by Trini
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Trini said:

They're still being coy about who Delilah's father is; I hope it's a good reveal whenever they decide to let us know.

I hope they do a thorough background check on the actor, so they don't have to write him out a few episodes after we finally meet him.

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I hope they do a thorough background check on the actor, so they don't have to write him out a few episodes after we finally meet him.

Kind of hard to do, since what happened with Chris Noth was a personal life deal. Personal lives are kind of hard to vet...

• Love 2
19 hours ago, Driad said:

Guessing he is short.  At Delilah's age, she won't grow much more if any.

If Kevin Hart shows up, I'm throwing something at my TV.

OTOH, if they want to go the biracial route and cast the father as a hot Filipino or otherwise Asian actor, I am okay with this! I also endorse a hot Latino actor. 

16 hours ago, Trini said:

Well, you know, he won't caught until they need another plot where Robyn's "computer" is down.

They still have the secret laptop that Harry stashed in the wall for Mel to find and is presumably super encrypted.  They're still in business!

16 hours ago, possibilities said:

It's real out here!  In my cynical mind, I believe that Noth's behavior in his personal life was likely known to the industry, and it was overlooked as long as there were no public accusations.  And well...    

• Love 5

This episode went roaring into current events with a vengeance.

I did not miss Delilah at all and I've gotten tired of Aunt Vi (which is disappointing since I really like Lorraine T.) so it was nice that they were minimal here.

I like that the lack of Harry was a problem that Robyn had to deal with. There is no way that Harry can stay away from computers so I'm looking forward to how the sow will deal with that.

Mel being kickass again was fun. She really does not like Bishop.

The TV show Marketplace did an episode on US sweatshops and the conditions in them so it was nice to see the acknowledgement of their existence in the episode.

There was even a brief mention that legally asylum has to be requested from inside the new country.

23 hours ago, ribboninthesky1 said:

Gonna be honest - I was kind of surprised Alma was happy to remain here with Pedro after all the drama.  I thought it would have been an interesting twist for her to choose to return to Mexico, but I guess in the end she and Pedro would still be safer in NYC?

She said that they were paying several gangs already and when her husband refused to give money to yet another one, they killed him. So it would make sense that they stayed inthe US even after everything.

I thought that the actress playing Delilah is part Philipina so it would make sense to cast an Asian father when they do. Although personally I would prefer that they drop the character entirely .

• Love 4
1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

She said that they were paying several gangs already and when her husband refused to give money to yet another one, they killed him. So it would make sense that they stayed inthe US even after everything.

She also said that when she was deported, it took her almost/over a year to get back to NYC.  Now, I think this was just sloppy writing, but it also implies that the gangs in Mexico didn't pursue killing her.  Meanwhile, in the US, her son was taken from her, he has disappeared, no authorities can be bothered to help her, Pedro is being trafficked in an illegal adoption scheme, and she gets a gun pulled on her. Presumably the ICE agent would have killed her even if the other man did/could not.  I mean, it's not exactly a ringing endorsement of safety in the US. Six of one, half a dozen of the other.  

• Love 3
On 1/2/2022 at 11:54 PM, dwmarch said:

Another entry in the Hawaii 5-0 file here with the wrong suspect being roughly interrogated. At least McCall apologized to him. And I was pleased that the overly helpful person in this episode made a face-heel turn immediately instead of waiting until the end of the episode like usual.

I loved how she looked a bit awkward when she realized that she attacked the wrong guy. "Umm sorry I came in hot, my bad." This was a good return to the show, I have come around on Delilah more but I didn't miss her with so much else going on. I am glad that Harry is out already and that him being in jail wont be drawn out for ages, even if he supposedly cant so much as check his email. Sure...

While the kid Pedro switched with got a way better deal, the parents cant be that shocked that the kid they paid a sketchy adoption ring guy for might not have been obtained on the up and up and that they might have to deal with consequences one day. 

Delilah totally stole the key right? Or why else bring it up? Is she going to try and find Aunt Vi's lost love?

• Love 2
5 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Delilah totally stole the key right? Or why else bring it up? Is she going to try and find Aunt Vi's lost love?

That's what I thought, too. But then I remembered that Vi met her in the park at the end of the episode where they introduced us to her daughter, so I dunno.

On 1/3/2022 at 8:36 PM, greekmom said:

Did they say anything about Mel staying away from computers? That Harry couldn't be within 5 feet of a computer? When I heard the conditions of his release, I merely thought that it would be hard for him to keep his hands off a keyboard while he and Mel continued doing what they'd been doing all along. 

On 1/3/2022 at 1:57 PM, AnimeMania said:

I thought the mom and child were on foot, and it seemed like she had just crossed the border, so I am assuming she came from Mexico.  On her second entry, she was told that her child was taken to New York so that's why she made her way to New York.  I was a bit annoyed that nothing was said about the second illegal entry and that none of Robyn and Dante or the charity people mentioned it.  Her first attempt, she said she claimed asylum because her husband was killed by drug dealers.  ICE took the child and she said they "sent me back".  So they sent her back to Mexico, and presumably it took her another year to illegally enter again.

I'm curious about the logistics of how she got in, where she is staying, what is she doing for money.  The place where she was living, there was another woman in the background there.  Then she ends up getting a visa (I think Robyn said three months or three years) because her child was involved in trafficking?  He wouldn't have been trafficked if she hadn't illegally entered in the first place.  And what happens when the visa expires?  It would have been better if Robyn had said her request for asylum was approved.

On 1/2/2022 at 11:54 PM, dwmarch said:

On 1/3/2022 at 6:33 PM, ribboninthesky1 said:

I thought Robyn said that Delilah was spending time with her dad.  When would she have had the time to take the key? And why? I thought the point of the scene was threefold - Robyn expressing vulnerability and doubt, Vi affirming her, and Vi inadvertently giving Robyn the idea of how to find Pedro. 

I agree that I don't think Delilah stole the key... what would be the point in that?  Especially knowing that her mom is a super spy who can just pick the lock for her, which is what Robyn ended up doing.  I think it was just a way to get Vi and Robyn to interact in this episode and Vi to provide some help to the storyline.  Either that, or they are setting up Vi with some kind of early onset dementia to give Lorraine Touissant more to do.

On 1/4/2022 at 5:48 PM, statsgirl said:

I thought that the actress playing Delilah is part Philipina so it would make sense to cast an Asian father when they do. Although personally I would prefer that they drop the character entirely .

Delilah's last name is Fulton, which is decidedly not Filipino.  So this would only work if the dad was part-Filipino himself (or adopted).

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, blackwing said:

I thought the mom and child were on foot, and it seemed like she had just crossed the border, so I am assuming she came from Mexico.  On her second entry, she was told that her child was taken to New York so that's why she made her way to New York.  I was a bit annoyed that nothing was said about the second illegal entry and that none of Robyn and Dante or the charity people mentioned it.  Her first attempt, she said she claimed asylum because her husband was killed by drug dealers.  ICE took the child and she said they "sent me back".  So they sent her back to Mexico, and presumably it took her another year to illegally enter again.

I'm curious about the logistics of how she got in, where she is staying, what is she doing for money.  The place where she was living, there was another woman in the background there.  Then she ends up getting a visa (I think Robyn said three months or three years) because her child was involved in trafficking?  He wouldn't have been trafficked if she hadn't illegally entered in the first place.  And what happens when the visa expires?  It would have been better if Robyn had said her request for asylum was approved.

I agree that I don't think Delilah stole the key... what would be the point in that?  Especially knowing that her mom is a super spy who can just pick the lock for her, which is what Robyn ended up doing.  I think it was just a way to get Vi and Robyn to interact in this episode and Vi to provide some help to the storyline.  Either that, or they are setting up Vi with some kind of early onset dementia to give Lorraine Touissant more to do.

Delilah's last name is Fulton, which is decidedly not Filipino.  So this would only work if the dad was part-Filipino himself (or adopted).

It was 3 years the standard "green card" and work authorization. In this case you would assume at that point the family applies for permanent residency and unless mom got caught up by the law for something else it would be approved in real life.

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, blackwing said:

He wouldn't have been trafficked if she hadn't illegally entered in the first place. 

She was seeking asylum. You have to be physically present in the United States in order to apply for asylum. 

Did she ever reveal how much money she paid to the mule to help her? If it was thousands of dollars, I'm wondering why she didn't just purchase plane tickets, claim she was visiting family in the U.S. and then apply for asylum at the airport. Not saying she wouldn't have been separated from her son anyway, but it seems a much less dangerous approach. 

25 minutes ago, MicheleinPhilly said:

She was seeking asylum. You have to be physically present in the United States in order to apply for asylum. 

Did she ever reveal how much money she paid to the mule to help her? If it was thousands of dollars, I'm wondering why she didn't just purchase plane tickets, claim she was visiting family in the U.S. and then apply for asylum at the airport. Not saying she wouldn't have been separated from her son anyway, but it seems a much less dangerous approach. 

Because nobody is going to let you on an international flight without an entry visa on the other end. Maybe spies and the highest up in gangs can get fake papers. If she had that visa and passport then she could become a visa overstay like the lead character on The Cleaning Woman on FOX and try to get asylum.

Secondarily if her situation is that dangerous at home it could be like the manhunt stories. Her enemies could cover the airports, bus and train stations as they are the points she can't get to because they pick her up before she got on the plane..

23 minutes ago, Raja said:

Because nobody is going to let you on an international flight without an entry visa on the other end. Maybe spies and the highest up in gangs can get fake papers. If she had that visa and passport then she could become a visa overstay like the lead character on The Cleaning Woman on FOX and try to get asylum.

Secondarily if her situation is that dangerous at home it could be like the manhunt stories. Her enemies could cover the airports, bus and train stations as they are the points she can't get to because they pick her up before she got on the plane..

Well you certainly gave it a lot more thought than I did so thanks for that. 🤣

On 1/13/2022 at 1:00 PM, Raja said:

They weren't that sophisticated. They were local gangs who demanded money to leave them alone and when her husband refused, they killed him.

On 1/3/2022 at 9:36 PM, greekmom said:

I wonder if they will just close up the bar and set up shop with a new underground lair elsewhere.

Well, the abandoned subway station from "Person of Interest" is probably just sitting there ;-)

• Love 3