Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Fat Girl's Dream

• Start Topic

Jennifer used to do everything with her family, but a car accident five years ago led to severe weight gain and a massive lymphedema on her leg.  Jennifer feels like bariatric surgery is her last chance to regain mobility and get her family life back. 

Streamed on Discovery+/-.

Original air date on network TV 2021.12.01

Where do these people live?

1 minute ago, umgoblue said:

I still can't believe she is only 35.  She doesn't look a day younger than 58.  Okay, I exaggerate: 63.

I think the producer said to her, "Are you sure about that? You said earlier (or something) that you were 45."

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

At this point Alex probably needs freedom from Mom more than a functional Mom.  He needs to be able to go on his way and live his own life.  The train for 'being functional MOm' has passed while you were eating yourself to death.  Dr. Proctor gets it, hopefully they all will too.  

Oh, that's the fall moment.  Flip-flops on stairs when you are unsteady on your feet are dangerous even at normal weight... but she probably can't put on proper shoes.  Lose-lose situation.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Ladybugnine said:

No chance of a fracture, Alex. Do you not see how much blubber your mom's hauling around?

I'm surprised Dr. Proctor didn't suggest Alex needs his own weight loss "journey".  There's a weird family dynamic going on here.

• Love 6
52 minutes ago, umgoblue said:

I still can't believe she is only 35.  She doesn't look a day younger than 58.  Okay, I exaggerate: 63.🤣

My 72-year old mother looks way better than she does.  Of course, my Mom is way healthier than her, too, age difference notwithstanding. 

But I can't imagine how she can possibly be 35.  Surely no younger than late 40s?  Also, her son is 19 - 35 is awfully young to have a 19-year old son.  Possibly her life was messed up even before the accident made her balloon...

Edited by Hellga
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, MagicEyes said:

😢
Spoilers, for anyone who didn’t watch the last few seconds of the show:

Hide contents

Not long after the surgery, she got an infection and died. 

Spoiler

I didn't...  so thanks for posting.

I do feel sorry for her, she tried - but she had too many issues so unfortunately it was just a matter of time.  If only she decided to do something about her weight and lymphedema when it first started four years ago instead of waiting and gaining...

Edited by Hellga
7 hours ago, Hellga said:

But I can't imagine how she can possibly be 35.  Surely no younger than late 40s?  Also, her son is 19 - 35 is awfully young to have a 19-year old son.  Possibly her life was messed up even before the accident made her balloon...

The producer corrected her right after she gave her age as 35.  She misspoke--she was really 45 

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, MagicEyes said:

😢
Spoilers, for anyone who didn’t watch the last few seconds of the show:

Hide contents

Not long after the surgery, she got an infection and died. 

I didn’t see that.  How sad.  Her husband and son were about the same weight as her.   I hope they get help.   What was the infection?  

• Love 1

When she said losing 30 pounds was unrealistic, I figured she wasn’t even going to try like some others.  But then she lost 38 and showed me.  It’s unfortunate that neglecting the leg issues for so long was insurmountable because I think she might have been successful with continued weight loss.  I hope her husband and son are motivated to lose weight themselves.  Especially the son, if he is that big at 19 where will he be at 35?

• Love 6

I was really rooting for her, because I don't think she cheated once she started dieting.
In a Dr. Now show, a good while ago, wasn't there someone who got some type of massage treatment, to lessen the water in the lymphodema?
She really needed something like that.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I was sorry that Jennifer had passed because I think she would have been successful.  She really wanted to get well so that she wouldn't be a burden and also because she had things she wanted to do.  She was many steps above the Poundticipents.

I do have some questions about her leg.  Couldn't that mass have been taken care of before it got that large?  When it first started affecting her mobility, could it be removed?

• Useful 2

I’m catching up with these on TLCgo. I thought there was going to be a second episode about Jennifer when she got the surgery with about five minutes left. No — so much worse. What a shame that she got religion about her health just a little too late. If she’d pursued surgery just one year earlier, she might have been getting the lymphedema removed around the time it killed her. She did so well surpassing the weight loss goal in the very first month. Her prognosis seemed so positive! What a shame. She was exactly my age.

Color me shocked when they toasted “mazel” and I saw the Star of David tattoo on Brent’s arm. I do not expect working-class people from small towns in Georgia to be Jews. Nor people named LeFevre, or people on weight-loss reality shows, or truck show enthusiasts. They were breaking a lot of stereotypes about my people there. I wonder what the backstory is — are one or both of them converts? How long has the family been in Hinesville?

• Useful 1

I know someone who is very much like this lady with the constant moaning in pain and freaking out with anxiety.  Except the lady I know isn’t overweight and has no lymphedema.  She still constantly talks of being in pain and how her heart is racing a lot.  I wonder why she isn’t on an anti anxiety med.  I don’t doubt the mass is painful.