Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 11/29/2021

TheView
  • Start Topic

Monday, Nov. 29 – Guest co-host Jane Coaston (ABC News contributor; editor and host, New York Times’ “The Argument”); Daniel Dae Kim and Tony Goldwyn (“The Hot Zone: Anthrax”); “View Your Deal” with hottest items at affordable prices

Tuesday, Nov. 30 – Guest co-host Jane Coaston (ABC News contributor; editor and host, New York Times’ “The Argument”); John McWhorter (author, “Woke Racism”); Uzo Aduba (“National Champions”; Broadway’s “Clyde’s”)

Wednesday, Dec. 1 – Rita Moreno (“West Side Story”); surprises are in store when “The View” kicks off “12 Days of Holidays”

Thursday, Dec. 2 – Kathy Griffin (“Search Party”)

Friday, Dec. 3 – Rachael Ray (author, “This Must Be the Place”)

• Love 5
22 hours ago, TheView said:

Monday, Nov. 29 – Guest co-host Jane Coaston (ABC News contributor; editor and host, New York Times’ “The Argument”); Daniel Dae Kim and Tony Goldwyn (“The Hot Zone: Anthrax”); “View Your Deal” with hottest items at affordable prices

Tuesday, Nov. 30 – Guest co-host Jane Coaston (ABC News contributor; editor and host, New York Times’ “The Argument”); John McWhorter (author, “Woke Racism”); Uzo Aduba (“National Champions”; Broadway’s “Clyde’s”)

Wednesday, Dec. 1 – Rita Moreno (“West Side Story”); surprises are in store when “The View” kicks off “12 Days of Holidays”

Thursday, Dec. 2 – Kathy Griffin (“Search Party”)

Friday, Dec. 3 – Rachael Ray (author, “This Must Be the Place”)

Just this morning a weird thought popped into my head...Rachel Ray.....Rachel Freakn Ray......Rachel F...Ray..Let There Be ...Raaaay

• Love 1
22 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Looking forward to the guests on Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday. Never heard of the guest co-host, but that's been the case for 90% of them.

Jane is actually a really interesting choice. She is a former reporter at Vox and host of a great policy podcast called the weeds and now a moderator/host of a discussion podcast at NYT. Two liberal leaning outlets but she herself is more politically conservative/libertarian but never really let that show in at Vox or NYT so will be interesting if she gives more personal opinion this week. Could see her sparing with Sunny. Tho while she is more of a libertarian, "small govt gal" as Jed always said..... she is also a black women and a lesbian so social justice is still very important to her. tho things like vaccine mandates etc might create a little tension.

• Useful 6
  • Love 2

I would have tuned in for Rita Moreno anyway but I will be interested in what she has to say about her experience of working on West Side Story with Stephen Sondheim in light of his recent death.

• Love 10

I feel like they missed a major point in the first segment when they were talking about Biden v. Trump, but I won't go into what that point is because it would be off-topic. The guest co-host fit like a glove. Well-spoken, added something worthwhile to the discussions, wasn't timid or overwhelmed in the least. She was better than the vast majority they've tried out and seemed to do it effortlessly at that. It's a shame The View probably wants a conservative that's more argumentative and adversarial because she was good at this, imo.

Tony Goldwyn and Daniel Dae-Kim have aged so much, but they're both still handsome and great actors. I thought it was a fun interview. I was glad to see Joy in the interview since they often seem to leave her out of them lately and leave beige wallpaper Sara there instead. I get it, Sara is more functional in reading the pre-written questions (and helps Whoopi to pronounce things they have to advertise correctly) whereas Joy could take an interview anywhere on the map, but the latter is what makes it entertaining.

• Love 8
7 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

The guest co-host fit like a glove. Well-spoken, added something worthwhile to the discussions, wasn't timid or overwhelmed in the least. She was better than the vast majority they've tried out and seemed to do it effortlessly at that.

Agreed!  Does anybody watch "Reliable Sources" on CNN Sunday morning?  She is a frequent guest on that show and she always does a good job.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, Redcookie said:

I enjoy The View. I don’t watch every day, but when I do I must admit, when they interview people, especially actors, I mute it. I am so embarrassed and uncomfortable for all involved. That is all.

The View bungles celebrity interviews quite often 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, falltime said:

Will always be funny when the bell needs to rung or the moderator has to interject that Sara wants a chance to speak.

Since they've been remote so long, I forgot about the bell. 

Is Whoopi to use it to get people back on track?  So is Sara taking over because she can't get a word in?

No one else can reach it so I guess it isn't for any of them to use, right?

• LOL 4
2 hours ago, Rightside said:

Is Whoopi to use it to get people back on track?  So is Sara taking over because she can't get a word in?

She used it once already since they've been back, but i don't remember what the sitch was.  Something makes me think it was Sunny. lol.

34 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Guess I could've been wrong about the guest co-host. That creepy glee on her face during the first segment was very off-putting.

TGI presidential exemptions.  By the time we were back, she wasn't there.  Oh wait. I remember now. butt-insky much.  Didn't care for her.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ForumLou said:

TGI presidential exemptions.  By the time we were back, she wasn't there.  Oh wait. I remember now. butt-insky much.  Didn't care for her.

That just goes to show why you need at least two days at the table.  Thought she was great and fit right in yesterday.  Today, not so much.  Also didn't care for Whoopi stopping her to say it was Sunny's turn 'cause we take turns.  Yeah, right.  That reminder could have been done during the commercial. Enough blame all around.  Someone please remind this old bird what TGI stands for.

Edited by KayVeeTeeVee
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

The panel should have asked themselves (each other) if anyone on "the other side" did what Chris Cuomo did, what would their reaction be? If it would be significantly different, then they should acknowledge that they are applying different standards to those they agree with from those that they don't agree with and rethink their position. 

Just because something is not illegal doesn't mean it is ethical and should be allowed.

I think what Cuomo did was unethical, and his company should sanction him according to whatever their policy is.

• Useful 2
  • Love 8
31 minutes ago, KayVeeTeeVee said:

That just goes to show why you need at least two days at the table.  Thought she was great and fit right in yesterday.  Today, not so much.  Also didn't care for Whoopi stopping her to say it was Sunny's turn 'cause we take turns.  Yeah, right.  That reminder could have been done during the commercial. Enough blame all around.  Someone please remind this old bird what TGI stands for.

Yeah i thought about dropping the `I'.  Its, its.  The I stand for its.  The whole anagram is TGIF.  That might be more familiar.  that stands for Thank God Its Friday.  Great disco skating. movie if i remember right.  Donna Summer did all the music.  Came   out after SNF.  

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Rightside said:

All of these insightful questions and more on the next episode of 60 minutes! Tick tick tock tock ding ding ding. 

I like Chris Cuomo because I think he's good at his job. I also think there are way more problematic news hosts on TV. That said, I understand the concerns about him. However, I'm so glad a certain blonde wasn't there for the topic. I remember the last time they discussed Chris, she claimed she'd address anything and everything about her family, and we all know that's utter bullshit. 

• Love 14
5 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Guess I could've been wrong about the guest co-host. That creepy glee on her face during the first segment was very off-putting.

I still like her.   Although I kinda agree about your comment on her face 🙂.   She's smart and was very calm in how she tried to point out different points of view.   

I also kinda liked the author they had on.  Don't agree with him on a several of his points, but I understood and respect his point of view.  The topic was a bit too academic though for this show.   

For both of them, I felt like the panel were actually listening to each other as they had a conversation.   

• Love 5

Sunny and Joy should've just said they like Chris and the Cuomo's too much to comment. "im not the judge" "it wasn't illegal!" ummmm 95% of the discussions on this show are your opinion on ethical matters and debates, many of times contain no legal matter. Honestly their hesitancy especially Sunny's just shows how powerful this family is and how unethical and wrong this behavior was. 

Edited by Buckeye71034
  • Useful 2
  • Love 4

36 minutes ago, After7Only said:

I still like her.   Although I kinda agree about your comment on her face 🙂.   She's smart and was very calm in how she tried to point out different points of view.   

I also kinda liked the author they had on.  Don't agree with him on a several of his points, but I understood and respect his point of view.  The topic was a bit too academic though for this show.   

For both of them, I felt like the panel were actually listening to each other as they had a conversation.   

I thought the race discussion was nice as well. still not something you can solve much in a two segment interview but was nice how thoughtful everyone was. 

As for Jane, I think she could make a nice contributor like Ana. Someone who fills in or appears on Fridays. She's not someone who the producers would ever let be the 5th co host but I thought she had a lot of interesting views.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Buckeye71034 said:

Sunny and Joy should've just said they like Chris and the Cuomo's too much to comment. "im not the judge" "it wasn't illegal!" ummmm 95% of the discussions on this show are your opinion on ethical matters and debates, many of times contain no legal matter. Honestly their hesitancy especially Sunny's just shows how powerful this family is and how unethical and wrong this behavior was. 

I think it shows how hypocritical Joy and Sunny can be.

I'll just duck outta the way now. 😆

Season 17 Episode 6 GIF by The Simpsons

• Love 10
13 hours ago, Blissfool said:

I think it shows how hypocritical Joy and Sunny can be.

I agree but Sunny more than Joy regarding the Cuomos.  Joy did preface her remarks acknowledging she knows the family.  Whether it was unethical or not it just plain looks bad.  Sara was right.  This just gives credence to people who think the media (and CNN specifically) are not honest and trustworthy. 

12 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

TBH, I found most of what the first guest had to say to be gobbledygook. He came across very pedantic and nit-picking, which is ironic considering that was his bone with the people he was upset over.

I get what he was saying and he is right that for some people being "anti-racist" is virtue signaling.  However I do think the more people who show their willingness to understand racism is still very much alive in this country is a good thing.  

Edited by ifionlyknew
  • Love 6

As bad as all the sniping is with the Reps it saddens me even more that it’s a bunch of women doing it. Not a good look. Makes women seem petty and bitchy.

Rita Moreno is a goddess.

The Christmas set looks really pretty. 

Edited by Haleth
  • Useful 1
  • Love 9
3 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

I get what he was saying and he is right that for some people being "anti-racist" is virtue signaling.  However I do think the more people who show their willingness to understand racism is still very much alive in this country is a good thing.  

I think what he was trying to get at was that while it is good for people to understand how racism exists and should reflect on whether they are contributing to it, making practical, concrete changes to various systems shouldn't wait until everyone has absolutely purged racism from their minds and hearts because that's an unrealistic goal. I think that was his point about the civil rights work in the 60s. Changes were made that had real benefits and moved the ball forward even though obviously not everyone in the country changed their attitudes. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

As bad as all the sniping is with the Reps it saddens me even more that it’s a bunch of women doing it. Not a good look. Makes women seem petty and bitchy.

Rita Moreno is a goddess.

The Christmas set looks really pretty. 

Yup. Grow up people

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

I think that was his point about the civil rights work in the 60s. Changes were made that had real benefits and moved the ball forward even though obviously not everyone in the country changed their attitudes. 

Yes. Real change that is transformative is incremental.  But today with everything being live streamed and reported on in real time there seems to be an expectation of things literally changing overnight.  

• Love 3

Great show today all the way around. Rita Moreno was lovely. Too bad they had to advertise some books, I'd rather she got that time.

7 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

I agree but Sunny more than Joy regarding the Cuomos.  Joy did preface her remarks acknowledging she knows the family.  Whether it was unethical or not it just plain looks bad.  Sara was right.  This just gives credence to people who think the media (and CNN specifically) are not honest and trustworthy.

I didn't see much wrong with their remarks, personally. As you said, Joy started by saying she knew Chris Cuomo, but even she admitted it looks like things could be bad for him over this. Sunny's only comments were in response to Joy asking her if anything he did was illegal, and she said it wasn't technically illegal and that he probably knows the line considering his own past experience as a lawyer or whatever he was in the legal system.

Tbh, I think their hesitance is more because they know there are many who have been chomping at the bit to tear him down merely for being related to Andrew Cuomo from the beginning, and they didn't want to help that along.

• Love 8
8 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

I think John McWhorter's point was that there are lots of people who want to learn more about how to combat racism, and most anti-racism activists provide good information, but some of the self-appointed "anti-racism" teachers really are virtue signalers who completely turn off the very people they want to "teach".  The latter should be routed out as they are the ones drawing all of the attention and delivering the wrong message.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 3