Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E19: You Will Not Escape

Daphne encourages her classmates to join her in a senior ditch day on an all-new episode of "Switched at Birth." Looking for a distraction, Daphne organizes a senior ditch day for her Carlton classmates, but things get out of hand. Bay meets with Angelo's doctor to discuss their family medical history. Meanwhile, Kathryn brings Regina to her book publisher's author party in New York. 

Artwork: "You Will Not Escape (No Te Escarpas)" (1797/98) by Francisco de Goya. Etching and aquatint on laid paper.

I hate Daphne. She needs a therapist

She does. What does she want from Regina. Angelo had a BRAIN anyeurism- the same thing his sister also died of. It was Regina's fault. Regina is right people argue, everything she said to Angelo was 100% true. How is a life insurance policy "blood money"? This girl is being so totally irrational.

However I am not surprised that she is still on Regina not telling her about the switch. That may be something she will never get over BUT that woman is still her mother and she should treat her with respect. If I spoke to my Mom that way it would get popped in the mouth and I'm 28.

How come no one on TV ever applies to safety schools?

Bay only applied to Pratt? And since she didn't get in, she has no idea what to do? There are lots of other art schools out there (even some in LA), I don't get why it has to be such a life crisis.

And I get that Gallaudet is a popular choice for deaf students, but are there really no other programs like that in the country? If not, no wonder it is competitive and It seems incredible dumb that Travis wouldn't have applied elsewhere.

Edited by KaveDweller
  • Love 2

Gallaudet is the only school of its kind in the US--possibly in the world. It is pretty special, but I doubt if it's all that competitive.

RIT is home to the National Technical Institute for the Deaf, which is a two-year program within the larger university. Students can continue on and get a four-year degree from RIT and end up mainstreamed but can start off in Deaf classes.

CSUN has a great Deaf Studies program and a lot of Deaf students go there. I have interpreted there in the past. Nothing like Gallaudet, but fine for students who are used to being mainstreamed. My husband has attended all three schools at different points of his life but his degree is from Gallaudet.

Melody's program sounds a bit like the NTID model to me. Interesting idea. While there are many schools with Deaf populations, there really isn't anything much out there that wouldn't mean Deaf students in hearing classes with interpreters. Some Deaf people do fine in such settings, but it's hard for them to feel like they're on equal footing with their classmates.

It all depends on how Deaf-friendly the teacher is. You'd be shocked at how many teachers talk while writing on the board, leaving the Deaf students to have to choose between following what's happening on the board and following the explanation the interpreter is providing. Neither makes sense alone and the Deaf student can only look in one place at a time so mainstreamed classes can be very frustrating for them. My husband struggled at CSUN because a lot of his grade depended on work done in study groups outside of class and he was rarely provided with an interpreter for these groups.

• Love 1

I'm just going to copy and paste a reply I made on another board as I don't really have anything different or new to say from what I said there :-)

Grieve all you want Daphne, self-destruct, don't self-destruct, whatever, but keep your hands to yourself. No, really. Keep your hands to yourself.

And of course, no remorse, no I'm sorry, or a later realization that she crossed a line in shoving Bay. Nothing. But, it's Daphne. When has she ever apologized for anything to Bay?

And she's acting all hurt about Nacho bringing a girl around? Did she really expect that to turn into a relationship? I thought she knew exactly what she was doing when she decided to pursue that. Nacho too. I didn't know she was looking for that to be a real thing.

As for Emmett and Bay, I just think at this point they just want to be together. Wherever that is. Yeah, they're just teenagers and decisions shouldn't be made based off of a high school romance, but Bay and Emmett have shown they are, and I think the show has presented them as, more than just a teen romance. They are the real deal in terms of how they feel about each other and wanting to go the distance with each other. Whether or not it works in the end is one thing, but why shouldn't they try if that's what they want? Life often takes people down different, unexpected paths. If this is something they want to seriously pursue, more power to them.

If Bay had gotten into Pratt, Emmett probably wouldn't be considering going to California as he would want to be at Galludet in DC because it would be closer to Bay in New York. He said himself that he wasn't sure if film was what he wanted to do, so it wouldn't be like he was giving up anything to be with Bay. And Bay isn't giving up anything to go to California with Emmett. She didn't get into Pratt and has no other concrete plans, so Los Angeles offers plenty of opportunities for her as well as Emmett. Emmett getting into USC is just a catalyst for her to take a chance and take advantage of new possible opportunity. She could look at other art schools or colleges in general, or find other opportunities to pursue her dream. I didn't quite understand why the writers had her act as if she doesn't know what she wants to do now as she can still be an artist without Pratt, but maybe her confidence is shaken from getting rejected.

I look forward to, if the writers choose to show it, their conversations about all the details such as money, housing, etc. I see people elsewhere freaking out that they didn't have it all planned out in the conversation they had about it tonight, but it's not really a big deal at the moment. That will all come later if they are serious about trying to make it work. It may work out great and it might not, (and I don't think it will because the show isn't going to have the regulars all over the country so something WILL happen, dramatic or mundane to keep it from working out) but it's something for them to consider. It's a different and interesting aspect to the whole what to do after high school dilemma.

Edited by KBrownie

Did I misunderstand something? Kathryn slept with that dude at the party who they were acting like lesbians for (because, apparently, that was supposed to turn him off, wut?) on a train as "revenge sex" back when she was a "young wife"? She cheated on John with that guy early in her marriage? She and Regina were pretty darn blase about that, so maybe I didn't get what they were saying.

She does. What does she want from Regina. Angelo had a BRAIN anyeurism- the same thing his sister also died of. It was Regina's fault. Regina is right people argue, everything she said to Angelo was 100% true. How is a life insurance policy "blood money"? This girl is being so totally irrational.

However I am not surprised that she is still on Regina not telling her about the switch. That may be something she will never get over BUT that woman is still her mother and she should treat her with respect. If I spoke to my Mom that way it would get popped in the mouth and I'm 28.

Personally I think that once Regina knew about the switch and decided not to tell anyone she became something very much like a kidnapper.

Of course the show usually doesn't present the situation in that messy of a light, so it kind of irks me that they bring it up from time to time, have a character like John (or now Daphne) raise some of the messier implications of what Regina did, but then it'll all get swept away and ignored.

I can't stand Daphne. I personally wanted Regina to drag her by the hair to her real mother and father and take her real daughter on that road trip. Daphne would pitch a fit if Regina took Bay somewhere alone.

I really liked hearing Bay defend Regina. We don't see those two together often so I appreciate it when they make attempts to show that they remember each other. "You're blaming my MOTHER for my FATHER'S death." I don't think she's ever referred to them using those terms in such a free flowing manner.

• Love 3

The guy kept referring to Kathryn by her maiden name so I would assume it was before she and John were married and they were "on a break".

Daphne bugs me. Bay has as much right to be upset about the sudden death of her father as Daphne has, if not more. Angelo was gone before Daphne could really remember him and Bay has not only lived with him for a summer but has made the effort to contact other members of her bio-family. Also, Daphne has no right to demand that Regina turn down Angelo's insurance money that could be shared by Angelo's two bio-daughters, Daphne and Regina herself. Daphne can  refuse to take her share if she feels that strongly about it -- especially as she's gone off the idea of medical school anyway.

Edited by morakot
  • Love 3

I loved that Bay yelled at Daphne, but I wish Regina would, too. Someone needs to remind Daphne that it's not a sin to get into a fight with someone, that Regina had every right to be angry at Angelo, that Angelo got into fights with lots of people, that Angelo getting so mad was all Angelo's decision.

Bay just breaks my heart. Girl needs some goodness in her life!

That moment with Travis and Melody at the end, where she stands there glaring at him being all "yes I will so act like your mom because you need one right now and I love you", and he gives her that smile, and they hug? The actors totally, totally sold me on that moment. That little smile took my breath away - this show is full of lovely little character moments, but that was the best one I think I've seen in the entire series.

• Love 6

Sigh. I wish drunk Daphne would have fallen off the Ferris wheel. I am so sick of her brattiness. And as much as I like Katie LeClerc, she doesn’t pull off “mean” that well. I’m rooting for Daphne to violate her probation and end up in a prison cell. Orange Is the New Black crossover!

The Regina/Kathryn fake lesbianism gave me a laugh though. The actresses have always had really good chemistry together, so it was amusing to see it in a new context.

Dear show: Stop trying to make Kathryn’s book anything other than the trashy smut it likely is. Jane Austen? Really?

Good move, Travis. Dropping out of high school a couple of weeks before graduation. Good on Melody for stopping that nonsense. However, a part of me thinks that college really isn’t for everyone and that there is no shame in learning a trade or doing manual labor, if the person feels it is the best fit for them personally. Travis has never seemed particularly academically inclined, so maybe pushing him towards college isn’t the best course of action. He did kind of have a point, even if he went about it totally the wrong way.

I started off hating Natalie, Travis, and Sharee when they were introduced, but now I like them more than several characters we’ve known since Day 1. I don’t know if this is a triumph of the show, or a major weakness.

Bay and Emmett have shown they are, and I think the show has presented them as, more than just a teen romance. They are the real deal in terms of how they feel about each other and wanting to go the distance with each other.

All I see there is puppy love, not a mature, stable relationship. All teenagers think their relationships are going to last in college and beyond, but there is a reason almost all of them fail during the first Thanksgiving Break home from college. If it happens (big "if"), I think Bay might come to regret following her boyfriend to his college of choice with no plan for herself. Not to mention, this episode had yet another EBay argument with one of them stomping off. Stop acting like 6-year-olds! Use your words!

Edited by CleoCaesar
  • Love 2

Good move, Travis. Dropping out of high school a couple of weeks before graduation. Good on Melody for stopping that nonsense. However, a part of me thinks that college really isn’t for everyone and that there is no shame in learning a trade or doing manual labor, if the person feels it is the best fit for them personally. Travis has never seemed particularly academically inclined, so maybe pushing him towards college isn’t the best course of action. He did kind of have a point, even if he went about it totally the wrong way.

I wish Melody (isn't she the guidance counselor??) had taken the time to explain to him why it was stupid to drop out so close to graduation - that having your high school diploma may actually matter down the line and he's so close - and then, in her role as guidance counselor, see if there's a way to facilitate Travis taking finals and graduating while still taking his new job if that's what he wants to do.   Even if Travis wants to go to college, even if there's this new program that he could attend, full-time college isn't a reality for a lot of people.  He has no parental support - who's going to pay for him to get his degree?   Should Travis just be obligated to take out loans to cover it, because Melody thinks it's a good idea?   Maybe they could hit on a happy medium, where Travis works full time, earning enough money to support himself (and the pride, not to mention medical insurance, that come with it) and also take a couple of classes a semester to work towards a degree.   But the "you will go to college" thing just seems disrespectful to me after Travis JUST said that he doesn't want to rely on someone else to support him.

I also wanted Regina to point out to Daphne that while, yeah, she fought with Angelo and that may have inadvertently contributed to his death, right now Daphne is the one picking fights, so pot meet kettle.   People get mad, people get hurt, they fight, it happens.   I was glad to Regina, Bay, and Kathryn all acknowledging that Daphne's behavior sucks though - hopefully soon we can move to the end of the "Daphne is angry and self destructive" phase.

I wanted to shake Daphne this episodes & from the previews I may want to slap her next week. I can't take her childish stupidity & acting out & I definitely don't want to see her tears. At this point, Daphne could go away for a few episodes & I would be okay

Bay goes through the whole embolism scare basically alone. It was her birth father that died. Yet, everything is still all about Daphne.

Thanks for the info on other college options for deaf students.

• Love 6

Bay just breaks my heart. Girl needs some goodness in her life!

She's got a family who loves and supports her - her parents, her brother; she's in a good relationship, her hand injury wasn't that bad - she can still do her art, which she is good at (except for that light projector thing), she's graduating high school, she has good friends (although we don't see enough of them), etc.  Yes, she's had some issues/bad stuff, but overall I think she has a lot of good.  

Daphne really does need therapy.  I need to keep telling myself that old adage - when someone is acting the most hateful and unlovable, that's when they need love the most (horribly paraphrased) - so I don't smack her through the TV.  Although, I think that is the point here - we're not supposed to like her right now.  She's being brutal to those around her, and to herself.  I expect a great fall.  I also see this as set up to keep her around town for next season/after HS.  All this behavior will nullify any college admittances, either through their withdrawal of offers, or due to her ending up in some kind of program* for her issues. 

* because I really don't expect them to put her in jail, even if she should be.

• Love 1
I thought Bay looked really beautiful in that blue top, and I loved her telling off Daphne. You go girl! Bay FTW!

I agree, but those jeans Bay was wearing were awful!

I guess Daphne is on some kind of self-destructive course of acting out due to Angelo's death, but wow is it tiresome and irritating to watch.  I didn't mind her getting in Regina's face about lying after finding out about the switch, though. 

• Love 1

I know it's cruel, but technically if Daphne hadn't been looking for that plot device...or er....that SAT book, Angelo's accident wouldn't have happened. They wouldn't have gone to the store, Regina wouldn't have pulled a gun on her, and she wouldn't have had a fight with Angelo. Using her logic, she's just as much to "blame" by putting Angelo at the scene of the fight. I wonder if they're setting it up for her to feel responsible, which is why she's lashing out. It's a stretch but I can see it.

• Love 2

But the "you will go to college" thing just seems disrespectful to me after Travis JUST said that he doesn't want to rely on someone else to support him.

I thought so too, when they were first fighting - I thought Melody was going to say that it was his decision and she respected it. And when it shifted to her telling him what to do, I thought he was going to explode at her. But then that smile - right then you could see how relieved he was, that what he really needed was a mom figure to believe in him and to say that no, he could still do a lot better. In real life that would have been a dangerous path, but a scripted one where the writers have decided that Travis really wanted someone to tell him he couldn't quit? They played it perfectly.

Okay, so this is how I picture it: tired writers sitting around the writers' room conference table:

Writer 1: Well, damn we have a couple of episodes to fill before the finale. Whatta we DOOOO?

Writer 2: Um, something with Daphne going apeshit?

Writer 3: Duh, obviously.

Writer 1: Hey, don't we have some of that crap left from the Maui, Kansas bs from last summer?

Writer 2: Yeah, cheap tacky looking booths and even that shitty ferris wheel?

Writer 3: Wonder that no one was ever killed on that piece of garbage. We should check liability on that.

Writer 1: Shitty ferris wheel for the win!

Writer 2: Fecking brilliant that is!

Writer 3: Yeah, we can rent out a tiny field and fill it with extras to make it look real. Except not of course.

Writer 1: What about the adults?

Writer 3: Hey, we can do a whole Kathryn-Regina possible lesbians story! Except not of course.

Writer 2: Yeah, we gotta do something with that damned book storyline. Whose stupid idea was that anyway?

Writers 2/3 in unison: Yours.

Writer 1: Oh...At least we don't need any story for Toby this week 'cause DUDE, runnin' out of ideas.

I will say that I liked how integrated the Deaf/not deaf characters were with Sharee signing and Natalie and all. Wouldn't it have been interesting to actually see how they integrated the students at Carlton? But, then I'm not a big TV writer:)

• Love 2

It makes me more angry that Daphne is acting like this about Angelo and she didn't even talk to him until the last episode. I guess it will turn out she feel guilty about being such a jerk to him. Bay is the one that went in search of him and had the relationship with him.

Felt so badly that Bay went to the doctor all alone.  Bay seems to hold everything in and Daphne seems to let all her anger out.  It's very interesting.

I missed Toby.  Please writers give him a story!

I think this episode highlights they have played out most of the high school drama... I'd love to see a 3 or 4 year time jump between seasons... instead of the whole 'let's start college and figure out some contrived way to keep the cast together...'  I'd like to see Bay filtering back to KC after living with Emmett for a couple years but not going to school... her friends are starting lives and she is forced to take a crappy job and live at her parents.  I'd like to see the whole Daphne bad girl on probation story line over and done with... either force her to live at home or have her bombing her MCATs and trying to figure out what to do.

• Love 3

I liked seeing Sharee signing to Natalie. Is this the first time we've seen Sharee signing? I also liked her going to Bay about Daphne. I loved seeing Bay confront Daphne - best part of the episode.

Really liked the Travis/Melody scene as well as Travis pushing Daphne away and saying that he has a girlfriend.

Bay going to the doctor all alone was sad.

Cannot stand Daphne blaming Regina for Angelo's death. Does she not understand the concept of aneurysm and burst? Yes, they had a fight but married couples fight - even badly - and this particular couple had a long history of doing so. It's particularly annoying that Daphne is using Angelo's death to spiral out of control and blame Regina given that Daphne didn't want anything to do with Angelo until very recently. I used to really like Daphne but now I can't bear to see her on the screen.

• Love 2

I'd love to see a 3 or 4 year time jump between seasons... instead of the whole 'let's start college and figure out some contrived way to keep the cast together...'  I'd like to see Bay filtering back to KC after living with Emmett for a couple years but not going to school... her friends are starting lives and she is forced to take a crappy job and live at her parents.  I'd like to see the whole Daphne bad girl on probation story line over and done with... either force her to live at home or have her bombing her MCATs and trying to figure out what to do.

My thoughts exactly. 9 out of 10, teen shows always mess up the transition to college. (I don't know why showrunners can't get it through their heads that not every season has to be one school year on the show.) One Tree Hill did the time jump quite well and skipped over college. And I mean, personally I'd be bored as hell watching the show split up into various parts with characters spread all over the country (hi, Glee! hi, Dawson's Creek!), or having them magically all stay in Kansas City for the sake of the plot. I mean, Melody's Galladet satellite university is clearly shaping up to be that magic college, but I think a time jump of about 5ish years would be the bolder choice, creatively speaking.

• Love 3

This show is so much better when stupid Daphne is fast forwarded. Of course Regina will forgive this temper tantrum of hers once she breaks down thinking that Angelo's death is her fault and she felt guilty so treated her mother like shit. Why is this attitude ok?

Sharee continues to be the bright spot on this show, along with anything Travis. And I'm so glad we saw Kathryn and Regina bonding, which I have missed. EBay still make me smile.

Bay's doctor always plays a bad ass on other shows I watch, so it was nice to see him as a supportive doctor here.

• Love 1

I think Emmett and Bay's relationship is lousy frankly. Who doesn't tell their boyfriend/love they are having an MRI? And he didn't tell her he applied to USC. They obviously don't talk to each other. They have sex and yell at each other and stomp off.

• Love 4

It makes me more angry that Daphne is acting like this about Angelo and she didn't even talk to him until the last episode. I guess it will turn out she feel guilty about being such a jerk to him. Bay is the one that went in search of him and had the relationship with him.

I think Daphne is deep-down hating herself for not giving Angelo a chance, even after finding out about Regina lying about the switch, and all of the times Angelo has tried to be more involved in her life. She's taking it out on Regina.

I wish Melody (isn't she the guidance counselor??) had taken the time to explain to him why it was stupid to drop out so close to graduation - that having your high school diploma may actually matter down the line and he's so close - and then, in her role as guidance counselor, see if there's a way to facilitate Travis taking finals and graduating while still taking his new job if that's what he wants to do... But the "you will go to college" thing just seems disrespectful to me after Travis JUST said that he doesn't want to rely on someone else to support him.

I agree! It was incredibly patronizing. I was mad to see her ripping up that paper without asking Travis what he wants.