Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E07: Sheets Laundry Club; Pink Picasso; Love & Pebble; Zach and Zoe

JTMacc99
  • Start Topic

Daniel Lubetzky, executive chairman of KIND, returns to the Tank in an all-new episode. First into the tank are entrepreneurs from Charlotte, North Carolina, committed to giving back to the planet with their innovative cleaning alternative for every household. Entrepreneurs from Birmingham, Alabama, hope the Sharks will be impressed with the sales of their elevated reinvention of a childhood favorite. A husband-and-wife duo from Brookehaven, Georgia, reveal their cool and surprising approach to skincare; then a family of four from Kingwood, New Jersey, pitch their hobby-turned-business. In a Shark Tank update, lifelong friends Sean Riley, Jeff Klimkowski and Ryan Meegan from Chicago, Illinois, along with their investor, Mark Cuban, discuss how their award-winning product, Dude Wipes, is a perfect way to stay fresh while on the go.

The Sharks in this episode are Mark Cuban, Kevin O'Leary, Lori Greiner, Barbara Corcoran and Guest Shark Daniel Lubetzky.

Guest Shark Daniel Lubetzky, with Lori, Mark, Barbara, Kevin. 

1. Sheets Laundry Club-Instead of liquid laundry detergent, you use a sheet of this product.    Sadly, one creator had his lungs trashed flying in the burn pit smoke over Iraq, a Black Hawk pilot.     They have the only rights to the laundry sheets, through Kimberly Clark, until 2024.   They have sheets for a lot of other household products too.  They're on track to sell $7 million this year.   They make the deal with Daniel for 10%, with 2% advisory shares.   

2. Pink Picasso - Everything for a paint-by-numbers picture that comes in a tube.    After it's dry, you can roll it up and it fits back in the tube.   They're margins are good, and their sales are in the millions.   Lori and Daniel make the deal. (I see this as the next coloring books for adults, but since I have zero artistic talent, I'm out.) 

3. Love & Pebble -Face mask combined with cryotherapy, in a 'facial pop'.   You pour the powder into the mold, add water, put in freezer for four hours, and the pop is ready to use.    They're edible too (bananas, aloe vera, turmeric, etc. )   It helps to de-puff your face, and help your skin.  Sales are fantastic, over $800k since March.   Woman sold her house, and put it all into the company.   The lowest priced kit is 80% margin.    I think this would have been a good fit for Lori, and QVC.    No deal. 

4. Zach and Zoe-Founders of Sweet Bee Farm, adorable family who turned a hobby into a business.  Just pure raw honey, blended with superfoods.    The mother claims the honey pollen cured her son's allergies.   The family have 50 hives, and other honey sourced from local beekeepers.    They already sell with Bloomingdales, Macy's, the sales are fantastic, they sell to some restaurants also.   They make a deal with Barbara.  (I don't know the total story, but I've heard local honey is the key to helping with allergies.   So, would the family's honey help people in another part of the country?   They might want to research it, and leave the allergy claim out of their publicity.    I adored the family, and their story.    I hope they have a lot of success with their business.   

(On a tacky note, what the hell is Barbara wearing for pants?)

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2
34 minutes ago, GussieK said:

Paint by numbers?  Are they kidding?  I thought it was a joke. It’s new because it’s in a tube?  I can’t believe they got a deal. 

I know ridiculous wasn't it.  I couldn't believe it either.  That will be a fad and sales will decline in a year or two. 

Why would Disney give them a licensing deal?????   They are a CARTOON company, you think they couldn't make their own paint by numbers that is better quality than their kit???!!!?  Seriously??? They are going to OUTSOURCE for a product they basically are the world leader in?  W...T....F??

I liked the washer sheets and they ate actually local to me.  Live 10 minutes from Mooresville NC and never heard of them.  

The other stuff I just am not into. I'd never eat raw honey.  I don't care if you claim it's healthy, can also get botulinum toxin from it no matter how you produce it.  

• Love 5

I liked the laundry sheets so much I ordered some before the segment was even ended.  Speaking of which - that must have been edited A LOT because there really was very little discussion.

I also liked the paint by numbers tube.  Every night I do a number of pictures on my iPad, and I wouldn't mind having an actual physical picture. They were right about the drawback with jigsaw puzzles, in that they do take up space (we don't have a dedicated puzzle table).  

• Love 1

A little confused how the laundry wipes are going to solve a plastics problem. Hundreds of millions of people would have to switch for it to be effective. I might be interested but I stocked up during deep discount sales on detergent and have enough for the next 4-5 years. Maybe some of the other products. Next, I am flabbergasted people are spending $5 million on paint-by-numbers. And no one brought up that the actual Paint By Numbers company has the patent for the concept. I see a lawsuit in the future.

Has anyone seen a Dude wipe in the stores? I would chalk up their success not to the product itself, but once Covid hit people went nuts for any cleaning product they could find.

All natural face mask pop. I liked them, will probably get that Shark Tank bump just from being on TV. I personally hate sticky stuff on my face so wouldn't buy this ever. Organic honey is good, family is delightful, but like other organic products is priced at ridiculous amounts. Also much of their product is sourced from other bee farms because they don't have enough by themselves. They seem to be doing well without a Shark, probably another appearance for free publicity even though they did get a deal.

• Love 1

I don't get why Pink Picasso is so successful as they offer nothing unique and there are plenty of paint by numbers products around. How exactly did they get so successful so fast with a totally un-unique product? Something doesn't add up? I am utterly surprised none of the Sharks asked for more info. As I said, I don't get it.

Edited by hifihifi
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

A little confused how the laundry wipes are going to solve a plastics problem. Hbers. And no one brought up that the actual Paint By Numbers company has the patent for the concept. I see a lawsuit in the future.

Ha

I looked at this, and actually it’s so old a concept that the patent expired almost 40 years so. I did paint by numbers as a kid in the 60s. 

Edited by GussieK
  • Love 3

Ah. I should have looked more carefully, it does actually say it's expired. Which means anyone can knock off their product too. She can protect those exact pictures because they're based on her photographs but since there was no discussion of patents they must not have one. Surprised they made a deal, they usually harp on having one.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Ah. I should have looked more carefully, it does actually say it's expired. Which means anyone can knock off their product too. She can protect those exact pictures because they're based on her photographs but since there was no discussion of patents they must not have one. Surprised they made a deal, they usually harp on having one.

yes, that seems to be the key point--she can copyright the pictures.  but what's so great about her photos?  Eh. 

5 hours ago, hifihifi said:

I don't get why Pink Picasso is so successful as they offer nothing unique and there are plenty of paint by numbers products around. How exactly did they get so successful so fast with a totally un-unique product? Something doesn't add up? I am utterly surprised none of the Sharks asked for more info. As I said, I don't get it.

Didn’t they say they were on Oprah’s favourite things?    Also, Covid.  It is something a person can easily do at home alone.   Both circumstances has a time clock running down regarding influencing sales.  

Edited by DEL901
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Has anyone seen a Dude wipe in the stores? I would chalk up their success not to the product itself, but once Covid hit people went nuts for any cleaning product they could find.

19 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I’ve seen the “Dude” wipes in Kroger. 

Right after their episode aired, they were in the discount bin at the Kroger's brand store I went to. Once those were gone, they were never restocked, so I had always assumed the company was dead it the water. I was shocked to hear not only that they are still in business, but how much money they were making.

• Love 1

There are several paint by numbers options on Amazon alone (I bought one for $10.99 for a friend's child for Christmas) that are so much more reasonable.  Somehow they got connected to an upscale clientele (probably from the Oprah bump).  The thing about paint by numbers is what does one do with all of the finished "art"?  How many would one actually buy and use?  I was so surprised they were valued so high.  Oh well.

I think a problem for Love and Pebbles is that most people want their skin care pre-made and don't want to mix it.  

Too bad Daymond wasn't there for the honey people as didn't he buy a bee hive from a presenter?

• Love 4
16 hours ago, GussieK said:

I did paint by numbers as a kid in the 60s. 

Me too, once, when I was six years old. Then, I was done with it.

It reminded me of last year's jigsaw puzzle deal. 

As usual, I think the snarks made the wrong investment. The Love & Pebbles isn't my kind of thing, but I thought they were much more worthy of a deal than Pink Picasso. 

• Love 3
19 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

A little confused how the laundry wipes are going to solve a plastics problem. Hundreds of millions of people would have to switch for it to be effective.

As well as laundry detergent bottles are a tiny fraction of the discarded plastic.

I kept waiting for them to say their proceeds were going to start recycling programs in countries who are currently burning all their plastic.

• Love 1

The laundry detergent sheet is not a new concept. I've seen a competitor advertising on Instagram, but I can't remember their name, of course. I got a sample of a third brand (unnamed) when I stupidly ordered some washing machine cleaner tablets from an Instagram ad. Don't fall for washing machine cleaner tablets, folks. I'm an idiot.

The former Army guy was referring to burn pits when he talked about the burning trash in the Iraq and Iran. The first episode of The Problem with Jon Stewart focused on burn pits. Highly recommended.

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

I think a problem for Love and Pebbles is that most people want their skin care pre-made and don't want to mix it.  

I keep wondering if I put Elmer's glue in a fancy bottle and marketed it as an exfoliating skin treatment if people would buy it. Spread on a thin layer, let it dry, then peel it off. How is that any different then other mask treatments?

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, eel21788 said:

Right after their episode aired, they were in the discount bin at the Kroger's brand store I went to. Once those were gone, they were never restocked, so I had always assumed the company was dead it the water. I was shocked to hear not only that they are still in business, but how much money they were making.

When I saw them at Kroger, it was after that episode originally aired. I haven’t checked to see if they were still stocked. I ‘ll look the next time I’m in Kroger.

2 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

When I saw them at Kroger, it was after that episode originally aired. I haven’t checked to see if they were still stocked. I ‘ll look the next time I’m in Kroger.

In their update, they claimed they were in all Kroger's stores.

6 hours ago, bilgistic said:

The laundry detergent sheet is not a new concept. I've seen a competitor advertising on Instagram, but I can't remember their name, of course. I got a sample of a third brand (unnamed) when I stupidly ordered some washing machine cleaner tablets from an Instagram ad. Don't fall for washing machine cleaner tablets, folks. I'm an idiot.

The former Army guy was referring to burn pits when he talked about the burning trash in the Iraq and Iran. The first episode of The Problem with Jon Stewart focused on burn pits. Highly recommended.

I fixed my posting, to correct it to the burn pits.  Thanks.  

6 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I fixed my posting, to correct it to the burn pits.  Thanks.  

Oh, I wasn't trying to correct you; I apologize for seeming like it. I was just generally commenting on what burn pits are because I'd only just learned about them thanks to Jon Stewart's show.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, bilgistic said:

Oh, I wasn't trying to correct you; I apologize for seeming like it. I was just generally commenting on what burn pits are because I'd only just learned about them thanks to Jon Stewart's show.

I appreciate corrections when I get something wrong, I didn't take it as a criticism, but helping.     The burn pits, and the Desert Storm oil fires, have ruined so many lives.       

I hope the Sheets Laundry Club people do very well.      I think the fact they have a variety of products will help them stay competitive in the market, for a lot of home products.   I think the bump from Shark Tank publicity will really help them.     I suspect that the fact that in a few years they won't have exclusives for the laundry sheet won't be an issue when their exclusive expires in 2024 (?), because they will have many other products that will be a bigger part of their market. 

With the Love & Pebbles, I love the husband saying he walked in the room, and his wife was rolling a frozen banana on her face.   I would love to see the video of that.      I'm wondering how long the pitch was on the show, and how long the face mask was out of the freezer, and under the TV lights?         The frozen mask might hold up a lot longer in the home temperatures.    When the sellers said it was edible, I'm surprise Kevin didn't try a bite.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama

Love and Pebbles seemed ridiculous to me. It’s just a frozen concoction of fruit that you rub on your face??? The cold may reduce puffiness for half a minute and then you have sticky food on your face because supposedly this magic combination does something? I don’t buy it. 
And it looked like it would be so messy. When the sharks were handling their samples, they were already melting and getting all gloppy, falling off the stupid pacifier holder. Just imagine handling that in your bathroom at night and ending up with half melted banana goo all over everything.

• Love 6
On 11/19/2021 at 7:54 PM, mjc570 said:

I liked the laundry sheets so much I ordered some before the segment was even ended.  Speaking of which - that must have been edited A LOT because there really was very little discussion.

There’s a local company in my neck of the woods in Canada, Tru Earth,  that makes laundry sheets. I quite like them, and the company is doing great business. Hope that you like them too.  

• Love 2
3 hours ago, eel21788 said:

Mark did. He said it tasted awful. I guess Kevin took his word for it.

I'm surprised Kevin took Mark's word for it.   Kevin seems to be rather quick to try things, so I'm surprised Mark tasted it first.       

With the margins, I think the face mask should do well, at least for a first purchase to try.   

On 11/20/2021 at 7:59 AM, DEL901 said:

Didn’t they say they were on Oprah’s favourite things?    Also, Covid.  It is something a person can easily do at home alone.   Both circumstances has a time clock running down regarding influencing sales.  

Right, people were absolutely desperate for anything to do during the most severe lockdown, but $42 for a paint by numbers kit when there are other things to do? I don't see it.

There are several paint by numbers options on Amazon alone (I bought one for $10.99 for a friend's child for Christmas) that are so much more reasonable.  Somehow they got connected to an upscale clientele (probably from the Oprah bump).  The thing about paint by numbers is what does one do with all of the finished "art"?  How many would one actually buy and use?  I was so surprised they were valued so high.  Oh well.

Yes, that was my question too. What the hell do you do with a paint by numbers project after you're done painting it. Seems a bit cheesy to have hanging on the wall and the "space saving" tube that was touted as a benefit...was that just for while you're still working on it or was the idea that you'd just roll it up and store it away somewhere after it was done? 

I guess we'll see where they wind up after the Oprah buzz, Shark Tank buzz, and Covid boredom fade away, but I just can't get over the price.

I thought Barbara was a real asshole to the laundry sheets presenters, in her very blunt Barbara way. When she decides she doesn't like someone, she sure doesn't sugarcoat her feelings.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ljenkins782 said:

I thought Barbara was a real asshole to the laundry sheets presenters, in her very blunt Barbara way. When she decides she doesn't like someone, she sure doesn't sugarcoat her feelings.

She was also cringey when she went to the honey family and got all huggy with them as a way to intimiidate them into saying yes. So inappropriate and manipulative. I was glad to see the family insist they have a moment alone to discuss it, and even then they had to make clear Barbara wasn't invited. Gross.

• Love 3
On 11/22/2021 at 2:56 PM, ljenkins782 said:

Right, people were absolutely desperate for anything to do during the most severe lockdown, but $42 for a paint by numbers kit when there are other things to do? I don't see it.

Yes, that was my question too. What the hell do you do with a paint by numbers project after you're done painting it. Seems a bit cheesy to have hanging on the wall and the "space saving" tube that was touted as a benefit...was that just for while you're still working on it or was the idea that you'd just roll it up and store it away somewhere after it was done? 

I guess we'll see where they wind up after the Oprah buzz, Shark Tank buzz, and Covid boredom fade away, but I just can't get over the price.

I have tons of paint by numbers apps  on my iPad.  I love them very relaxing.  No messy paint, no need for  a table and free!.

the fruit face mask.  I’m a bug a phobe .  I can’t imagine putting sticky food on my face.  Food is for eating and in the kitchen.

barb was flat out weird with that family.  I would have picked mr. Wonderful.

• Love 3
On 11/20/2021 at 12:36 AM, Vermicious Knid said:

Has anyone seen a Dude wipe in the stores?

I’ve seen them at Target, Walmart, CVS, Ralph’s, all within the past couple weeks. They’re pretty much available everywhere that sells toilet paper/toiletries.

Edited by Cotypubby
14 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

The Dude Wipes were on sale for IIRC about $3.49 last week at Kroger.

So, they have nearly cut the price in half, and they are still more expensive than their competitors. I guess I really underestimate how much people are willing to pay to get a specific brand just because it was on Snark Tank.  

When the couple with the painting business said, “funny story”, when Barbara asked how this business came about, I was expecting something, kinda funny. I can see maybe giving this as a gift to someone who enjoys low key art projects, but you’d still have to be careful it was dry before putting it in the tube.

I thought Barbara was a snot to the laundry sheets guys. She may not be “buying” it, but apparently somebody is. I liked their product for its own merits but also because my husband has similar problems from manning the chemical burn pits during Desert Storm when he was in the army and is partially disabled We live in NC as well so I plan on trying these to support a local veteran owned business and it would be nice not to have to lug a big bottle of laundry detergent home from the grocery store or if your laundry facilities are in another building.

I liked the honey family. They were well spoken and poised and the kids weren’t obnoxious like I’ve seen in a lot of other pitches. Barbara is just so inappropriate at times and it makes me cringe. It almost felt predatory her cornering them and insisting they choose her.

The Love and Pebbles pitch was lame. You could just rub a frozen strawberry on your face if you see so inclined.  Those silly lovebirds!