Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E10: Sneaky Lady

• Start Topic

I have noticed that the Plath kids that have gotten away have flat, mono tonal qualities to their voices, their expressions rarely change and they look dead behind their eyes.  I think they are unprepared to deal with the outside world and were not allowed to have emotions that made Kim uncomfortable.  

Ethan and Olivia look miserable even when times were good they looked sad, thanks to Olivia she has introduced marriage counselling and other ways to learn how to communicate their feelings, Ethan would have been perfectly happy married and staying put but Olivia is wanting more out of life, Kim bad mouthed the rest of the world and Ethan believed her, he most comfortable believing her lies about the world.

Moriah and her constant peck kissing Max is beyond annoying, it is sort of gross.  Moriah needs fashion advice, it is tiresome to see her trot around in Daisy Dukes and crop top every episode, she has a great figure and wear anything but chooses the White Slave Sex Worker wardrobe and never tones it down no matter who her audience is, like her conservative family members.

Lydia is the next Plath to try to navigate the world, what ever happened to that job she got at the same garage where Ethan works on an antique car?  My question is how is she so religious that she has a prayer closet but Kim and Barry who made her that way do not have a prayer closet?

• Love 2
7 hours ago, JocelynCavanaugh said:

It's okay, everybody! I was mostly kidding! I need to change my avatar to a warning: when Jocelyn says sassy things, she's not being that serious so no need to take it that way!

That said, I think Moriah has even told us on the show that she hates school and reading. Occasionally, those types turn into great teachers, but it's about as common as singers with voices like Bob Dylan's becoming superstars.

I remember that about Moriah not liking school/reading and when I read your comment I interpreted it as shade at Kim because she kept the kids home and didn’t allow them to go to regular school 🎶 

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
59 minutes ago, RedDelicious said:

I remember that about Moriah not liking school/reading and when I read your comment I interpreted it as shade at Kim because she kept the kids home and didn’t allow them to go to regular school 🎶 

Just speculating, but one reason why Moriah may dislike reading is that she isn't a strong reader. From my experiences as a public school teacher, when some kids come from homeschool (or virtual -FU Covid) into public schools, they lack some basics of phonemic awareness and phonics. And don't get me started on fluency! Kim may have been a great home school teacher, but I doubt it. Homeschooling works for many families, but even Kim admits she was an absent parent after the tragedy. The older kids would have been elementary age at that time. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
10 hours ago, lightninggirl said:

Lydia is waaaaaay more manipulative than many give her credit for. She was the ONLY sibling who had the family computer password, so the only people in the house who could log anyone onto the computer was Kim and Lydia. She has learned from the best, Kim, and I don't trust her at ALL. To me, she's basically Kim's winged monkey henchwoman all wrapped up in scripture and martyrdom. Hopefully there is time for her to see Kim's evilness and make a run for the door like her older siblings.

Glad I read through all the comments before I responded, because THIS RIGHT HERE!

Lydia is only a victim in the sense that she has allowed herself to become brainwashed by Nazi Kim and Grinning Barry. In that sense, sure, I feel bad for her. But you're right. She positioned herself to be the "top disciple" of the cult (thinking about John the Beloved leaning his head on Jesus' chest in the Last Supper painting here). 

I hope one day Lydia realizes that Kim doesn't give a shit about her and gets away from her. But in the mean time, I do think that Lydia has figured out that if she feeds into Kim's egomania, that it bodes well for her. I don't know if she always buys into Kim's bullshit the way she says she does, but she makes sure to always say she does. "God told me my parents were right." "Just because we were hiding didn't mean he had to look for us." Her blatant subservient attitude is either Stockholm Syndrome or she's as good at manipulation as Kim. 

Edited by JayDub1987
  • Love 10
52 minutes ago, jacksgirl said:

Just speculating, but one reason why Moriah may dislike reading is that she isn't a strong reader. From my experiences as a public school teacher, when some kids come from homeschool (or virtual -FU Covid) into public schools, they lack some basics of phonemic awareness and phonics. And don't get me started on fluency! Kim may have been a great home school teacher, but I doubt it. Homeschooling works for many families, but even Kim admits she was an absent parent after the tragedy. The older kids would have been elementary age at that time. 

100% and its another thing that is so terribly sad because reading not only makes you stronger intellectually, but it’s a healthy mechanism for coping with stress and anxiety too. If Kim was a lousy homeschool teacher, and odds are she probably was, it’s one of the more significant ways she denied her children and stunted their development.

My sister was labeled as “LD” in the late 70s / early 80s when nobody knew better (she might have been adhd but we will never know). She was held back in middle school and never really reached her academic potential until she went to 4-year college in her later 20s. She deans listed and went on to get her master’s and became an outstanding elementary school teacher. She could reach the kids who couldn’t make sense out of math and reading because she’d been through the struggle herself. 

I guess the point is education of any kind would do them wonders and help them make their way in the world, and lack of proper schooling and exposure to the outside world is an incredible injustice by a parent.

Edited by RedDelicious
  • Love 11

Finally caught this one.

I thought that both Olivia and Ethan acted reasonably at the concert.  Olivia realized that she could do nothing about it and played to support Moriah.  Ethan let his feelings be known, directed them solely at Kim and then moved on.

Lydia is horrible.  I'd love to never see her again.  Kim and Barry too.

Moriah was wishy washy.  I understand that HER MOTHER put her in a difficult position.  And she wants to maintain good relationships with her family.

In the description of next week it sounds like she and Micah are moving.

It looks like Olivia and Ethan will reconcile and move away. I am glad for that.  I like that Ethan is more self-aware.  And it sounds like riding his motorcycle ride to the West Coast was life changing.

Ending with Kim.  She is still terrible.  Her hand waving over her evil spirits comments was completely unbelievable.  It was clear she said it and is now trying to walk it back or suggest that Olivia misunderstood. At least Barry seemed to recognize that it has damaged their relationship with Olivia and Ethan.  Kim still expects Olivia and Ethan to approach her to resolve the issue.

Kim still makes everything about her.  She will now just march into any concert she wants.  She has made Lydia into a mini Kim. I wonder if Lydia realizes that Kim will have veto power over her marriage choice.

If Micah moves to London, unless Olivia, Ethan and Moriah move with them, it seems like the end of the show.  At least for me.  I wondered if, when Ethan suggested different countries were possible, if they were setting up a year in London.  

That I would watch.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, Ms.Lulu said:

Ending with Kim.  She is still terrible.  Her hand waving over her evil spirits comments was completely unbelievable.  It was clear she said it and is now trying to walk it back or suggest that Olivia misunderstood. At least Barry seemed to recognize that it has damaged their relationship with Olivia and Ethan.  Kim still expects Olivia and Ethan to approach her to resolve the issue.

That was a classic combo of "She heard what she heard, but I probably didn't say that" and "I'm sorry you got offended by what you think you heard." 

• Love 15
Just now, lightninggirl said:

That was a classic combo of "She heard what she heard, but I probably didn't say that" and "I'm sorry you got offended by what you think you heard." 

Yep. Kim could teach a master class in gaslighting. 

• Love 14
8 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I have noticed that the Plath kids that have gotten away have flat, mono tonal qualities to their voices, their expressions rarely change and they look dead behind their eyes.  I think they are unprepared to deal with the outside world and were not allowed to have emotions that made Kim uncomfortable.  

Ethan and Olivia look miserable even when times were good they looked sad, thanks to Olivia she has introduced marriage counselling and other ways to learn how to communicate their feelings, Ethan would have been perfectly happy married and staying put but Olivia is wanting more out of life, Kim bad mouthed the rest of the world and Ethan believed her, he most comfortable believing her lies about the world.

Moriah and her constant peck kissing Max is beyond annoying, it is sort of gross.  Moriah needs fashion advice, it is tiresome to see her trot around in Daisy Dukes and crop top every episode, she has a great figure and wear anything but chooses the White Slave Sex Worker wardrobe and never tones it down no matter who her audience is, like her conservative family members.

Lydia is the next Plath to try to navigate the world, what ever happened to that job she got at the same garage where Ethan works on an antique car?  My question is how is she so religious that she has a prayer closet but Kim and Barry who made her that way do not have a prayer closet?

I don't think Ethan believes Kim's lies about the world outside of Plathville, otherwise he'd not have married Olivia and tried to get away from them so much. And he just said he drove all the way to the West Coast to blow the cobwebs out of his mind and he's open to traveling anywhere now. I felt he was sincere.

While I agree that Moriah dresses like a cheap small town hooker, I have no idea what a 'White Slave Sex Worker' is. Color me confused.

• Love 7
9 hours ago, RedDelicious said:

If Kim was a lousy homeschool teacher, and odds are she probably was, it’s one of the more significant ways she denied her children and stunted their development.

Surely she wasn't qualified to deal with any learning disabilities or mental lapses.  She probably took care of any/all behavioral issues instantly.  Moriah needed professional help (at her grade level) from second grade on.  She may have gotten lost in the "one-room classroom" approach--where Kim would pay more attention to the subjects she like (or knew...sorta).  Kim bragged brag that her older children "passed" some homeschool graduation requirement.  I can remember that my two sisters and I took standardized tests (reading, arithmetic...maybe more).  We'd all brag to each other that we got "twelfth grade and beyond," on everything...and that from third, fifth, and seventh grades, KIM!!!  Guess we were high school graduates at that time.  Should-a hopped right over to the junior college.

• Love 3

If there's any doubt as to whether Kim's actions are motivated by Moriah's best interests or self-interest, just count the number of times Kim refers to herself ("I"), versus the number of times she refers to Moriah ("Moriah" or "her"), in the little speech she gave to production after the concert: 

"I hope that Moriah has many more concerts, and I'm going to be at as many of them as I can. And cheer her on loudly and I'm not wearing a disguise and I'm not going to hang out in the parking lot I'm gonna to be there cheering her on and I don't care who's there or who's not there I mean I'm just gonna go. Because I don't wanna miss the big highlights of her life."

Keep it up, Kim, and soon your name will be added to the list of millions of other parents with kids who went no-contact as soon as they were able to move out and live on their own.

• Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 15
15 hours ago, jacksgirl said:

<snip>

Kim may have been a great home school teacher, but I doubt it. Homeschooling works for many families, but even Kim admits she was an absent parent after the tragedy. The older kids would have been elementary age at that time. 

I wrote a post in S2/E5 about the curriculum I believe the Plaths use, and it doesn't require a teacher at all. It's one many Christian private schools use (which is scary once you learn more about it).

That post is here, if you're interested in knowing more about what that curriculum is, how it works, and why a student can "graduate" after completing it but still not know much of what they would have been taught had they gone to an average public school. 

Edited by TwirlyGirly
Snipped out extraneous part of quoted post
  • Useful 5
  • Love 5

JFC. Kim drove over her child and the world has tip toed around her for all the  years since, and it has created a monster.  She is an extremely traumatized and sick individual . The first few children have gotten out and she is sinking in her claws on the remaining siblings. They should be removed. 

• Love 4

Ugh! Can't stand Kim but at least she taught her kids to play instruments. Or did someone else? Anyway, good for the kids on that! 

Cringiest moment: Olivia sheepishly saying to Ethan "Do you wanna get a room"? Lmao as if they first met!

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Alonzo Mosely FBI said:

JFC. Kim drove over her child and the world has tip toed around her for all the  years since, and it has created a monster.  She is an extremely traumatized and sick individual . The first few children have gotten out and she is sinking in her claws on the remaining siblings. They should be removed. 

I honestly think Kim was the same way before the accident.

• Love 5
On 10/20/2021 at 7:04 AM, Baltimore Betty said:

LC blurred the license plates on the cars as they all pulled up to the concert venue, Moriah's car has Florida plates, does she live in Florida?

I didn't notice at the gig, but they blurred the plates on the car Moriah and Max took to the late.  I couldn't  decide if I was seeing a peach for Georgia or an orange for Florida on the plate.  Kenny who "lives" in Mexico on 90DF still has Florida plates on the car he drives in Mexico

@TwirlyGirly summed up my criticism of Kim.  Furthermore when Kim asked Moriah if she was mad at her, Kim made sure the whole family was surrounding her.  I doubt Moriah would have the courage to tell her mother she was mad at her with the little kids in the room.  Kim is so manipulative. 

I hope Olivia and Ethan work things out  They are correct that Tallahassee is not far enough away.  

So cinderella Lydia uses her mom's phone when she is out cleaning houses.  If she has a flat tire, she will have to text someone other than her mother because her mother has lent her the phone.  Does Kim have two cell phones?

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Twopper said:

So cinderella Lydia uses her mom's phone when she is out cleaning houses.

Wait, Lydia already has a job? What was that stuff about her going to work at the garage where Ethan has one of his car projects, was that producer shenanigans just to get the two of them in the same room to have an awkward conversation?

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Wait, Lydia already has a job? What was that stuff about her going to work at the garage where Ethan has one of his car projects, was that producer shenanigans just to get the two of them in the same room to have an awkward conversation?

I am sure it was.   Although it is possible she does both part time, I doubt her parents want her working at the garage because she might  meet a man she really liked.

• Love 3
On 10/20/2021 at 10:49 AM, Baltimore Betty said:

What in the world is Kim teaching her kids, is she telling them to disrespect someone's wishes, to sneak around and lie?

No, she is teaching them that the only one that matters is Kim.  One and only.

Misunderstood or not, the idea that ANYONE is full of evil spirits for feeling uncomfortable around someone is just a total disregard of their responsibility for the issue.  It is all denial.

The only way Moriah keeps Kim away from her concerts is to never tell her or Lydia.  Micah and Ethan are ticked off enough, but the rest of the family simply cannot be told.  The spies may figure it out.  Oh, and why come in the recognizable family car rather than meet the third party elsewhere and come to the venue in the unidentified car?  Kim is sneaky, but she also WANTED to be caught to exert her pressure on the kids.

Lastly, Ethan and Olivia have the right idea:  just like Hosanna did, move far, far, far away to get out of the clutches.  Ethan saw just how destructive Mom is.  He finally gets it.  And they are both right: moving to Jacksonville isn’t going to be far enough away from this viper.

• Love 11

Honestly, what a beautiful couple & albeit, young, but what kind of parents strive to interfere in their children's happiness like this?  My oldest daughter is getting married in June/2022 (due to Covid, rescheduled one year, until next year).  It makes me so angry & sick that KIM took over their most important day & has continued to cause deep issues within their marriage. What kind of mom does this, why does anyone even stick up for her?  Evil spirits, she is evil & manipulative & holy, sneaky as EFF! She is an evil spirited sick & dark cloud. I am not entirely sure I should be watching this show anymore because of the harm that Kim & Barry inflict on their innocent kids. All I can say is this, I have three strong daughters, all of them know right from wrong & they choose to fight for Earth & human life (all human life & humanity), happiness equality & not only that , but they demand it.  They are all very different & how I love that!  If I EVER caused even one percent of the damage Kim has, It would be "Okay, Bye Mom!' Rightfully so & how dare she?  She continues to disgust me in a very deep way. Look at this video....how could she?  What a total POS....she needs to exit this show & work on her narciisitc self loathing, controlling B**tch life!  Thank you for letting me vent this...Holy, she sucks! She does not know Love!!!!

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Jeanne222 said:

I hope Lydia isn't really going alone out to that house in the country to clean!  Scary with all the nuts running around grabbing young girls!

Really, she is like 17 years old & cleaning her former house in the Country.  Most teens at this age drive, have jobs & get to & from work, safely. I would worry more about her working in a city.  I would think there are not too many nuts hanging out on a deserted farm, during the day,  waiting for someone to come clean the place? I mean I guess if they have nothing better to do then to wait by a tree or something? Weird! Sorry, I mean no disrespect ( I really don't) but LOL! Of course her safety is so important, but most teens/adults today, know to lock the door behind them. I am not trying to diminish your concern, but a 17 year old should know to watch for potential harm & honestly, young woman today are stronger than you think! I respect your concern, it is just weird to me. But I do respect your concern for Lydia. 

Edited by MarCap
  • Love 3

From what I recall their wedding was held a few days after Hurricane Michael, the area was hit hard. They had no power on their wedding day, but everyone pulled together and they had a nice, though different than planned wedding. 

• Useful 3
On 10/20/2021 at 4:49 PM, Baltimore Betty said:

What if Moriah was starting a new job in an office, would Kim make a big deal about seeing her work on her first day, hiding behind the file cabinets watching Moriah work?

Yes probably. I’m surprised she didn’t drive Lydia to her job interview at the garage and offer to walk her in.

On 10/21/2021 at 12:44 PM, Baltimore Betty said:

My question is how is she so religious that she has a prayer closet but Kim and Barry who made her that way do not have a prayer closet?

I’d assumed that the prayer closet was a family one, is it just Lydia’s? If so that’s really odd.

On 10/21/2021 at 6:31 PM, Ms.Lulu said:

I cannot believe that Kim told Olivia she was filled with evil spirits and her excuse was just something she said, she didn’t mean it! WTF! I really want to like this woman but how can I like someone who says stuff like this to her DIL?. No wonder why Olivia doesn’t want to have a relationship with her, can’t even stand to even see her, and Ethan got angry when he saw her at the concert. Like other posters have said Ethan & Olivia need to get far away from Kim if they want some sorta normal life, I’m glad their moving but even if they moved to Australia I don’t think it’d be far enough.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

I hope Lydia isn't really going alone out to that house in the country to clean!  Scary with all the nuts running around grabbing young girls!

Eh, she'd probably annoy them so quickly they'd return her in under half an hour.

• LOL 9
  • Love 1

Thank you, @MarCap, for posting Ethan and Olivia's wedding video. It was a joy to watch!

I never look for YouTube videos of cast members from any reality programs I watch, so had you not posted it I never would have seen it.

I don't know how much wedding videos like this one cost, but however much they paid it was worth every penny. 

I hope Ethan and Olivia are soon able to recapture the love they had for each other on their wedding day. It was a beautiful thing to see.

• Love 6
13 hours ago, TwirlyGirly said:

Thank you, @MarCap, for posting Ethan and Olivia's wedding video. It was a joy to watch!

I never look for YouTube videos of cast members from any reality programs I watch, so had you not posted it I never would have seen it.

I don't know how much wedding videos like this one cost, but however much they paid it was worth every penny. 

I hope Ethan and Olivia are soon able to recapture the love they had for each other on their wedding day. It was a beautiful thing to see.

Yes to all of this! And, I loved Olivia’s dress. 

• Love 5