Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E01: Closure

jewel21
  • Start Topic

Officer Kim Burgess fights for her life as the team scrambles to find her kidnapper. Dep. Supt. Sam Miller is desperate to find her son’s killer. Voight and Upton deal with the aftermath of their deadly decision. Ruzek struggles with the pressure of the situation.

Airdate: 09/22/2021

It seems that NBC got the first two episodes mixed up and released them back to front. This is actually episode 2, episode 1 is ⬇️

09/22/2021 (10:00PM - 11:00PM) (Wednesday) : Premiere: Officer Kim Burgess fights for her life as the team scrambles to find her kidnapper. Dep. Supt. Sam Miller is desperate to find her son’s killer. Voight and Upton deal with the aftermath of their deadly decision. Ruzek struggles with the pressure of the situation.

• Useful 1
On 9/18/2021 at 7:25 PM, Guildford said:

t seems that NBC got the first two episodes mixed up and released them back to front. This is actually episode 2, episode 1 is ⬇️

09/22/2021 (10:00PM - 11:00PM) (Wednesday) : Premiere: Officer Kim Burgess fights for her life as the team scrambles to find her kidnapper. Dep. Supt. Sam Miller is desperate to find her son’s killer. Voight and Upton deal with the aftermath of their deadly decision. Ruzek struggles with the pressure of the situation.

Thanks for this. I totally forgot how last season ended....

With friends like Upton, who needs enemies. She couldn't lie straight in bed. I'm confused, are we supposed to feel sorry for her? What are the writers trying to do? Because she's pretty awful and beyond redemption. Voight's been beyond redemption from the start, but I think we are supposed to hate him & like her, but the are interchangeable as total assholes in this show.

Jay is as dumb as fucking rocks..... 

Voight & Medusa should hook up, they are a match made in hell. I hope that video is hiding in a cloud somewhere and comes back to kick them both in the nuts.

• Love 1

Upton just needs to go.  She makes every scene she's in just depressing as F.  I used to like this show, but it's just becoming such a downer.  I like a lot of police/detective shows, but this is just becoming unwatchable.  I'm not looking for 'joy' but just some spark of life among these people.  Since Olinsky is gone, I feel like everyone (except Trudy) is just going through the motions.  I honestly don't know what would save this show at this point.

• Love 5

They have totally ruined Upton's character, to the point where she needs to be written out, either killed in action or in a psychiatric hospital.  She started out as a great cop with some common sense and morals.  Now she's this weepy nut case and it makes no sense that Jay would fall for that mess.  UGH

Did anyone get a hint that something might be brewing with Miller and Atwater?  This show already has too many relationships, so it's not like it would be unusual for writers to go there.  Maybe Atwater/Miller will figure out what happened and they will be the ones to bring down Voight and Upton?  Just a thought I had during the show.

Glad Kim is ok and that was pretty touching when Ruzek brought Mykalia to see her in the hospital.  She's going to be a mess and I think their going to say she can't have kids now.  Those 2, with Mykalia are the only happy ending I want to see on this show.

• Love 3

Jay and Hailey getting married is the dumbest, worst idea ever in the history of this show. They have ZERO chemistry. Their kiss at the end was absolutely cringeworthy. Hailey just has to go - I hope she gets caught and Jay never forgives her. Maybe his brother can set Jay up with the new doctor on Med. 

If anyone has a public Twitter account and isn't afraid to get into it, more anti-Upstead people need to make their voice heard there. It's disgusting how many people "ship" these cardboard cutouts. (When catching old episodes, I'm reminded of how Jay used to have a spark with other women, he could create great chemistry.  So sad to see what the writers have done to him.) 

• Love 7

Pardon this, but I wasn't watching with undivided attention and I don't recall last season's finale. What is the big secret that Voight & Haley are hiding/covering up?

Edited by preeya
1 hour ago, preeya said:

Pardon this, but I wasn't watching with undivided attention and I don't recall last season's finale. What is the big secret that Voight & Haley are hiding/covering up?

I had to watch the last 10 minutes of the last episode to refresh my memory. Basically Roy shot Burgess and left her to die.  Upton came to the warehouse and found Voight beating Roy for information about Burgess location. Upton was trying to keep Voight from beating Roy to death, but then Roy got Voight's gun and they struggled. Upton shot & killed Roy to prevent him from killing Voight . Voight buried Roy in a field and encouraged Upton not to tell anyone. 

As I see it, Voight would have been in trouble for beating Roy, and Upton shot Roy to keep him from killing Voight. I don't think she would have been in trouble for her part. I only watched the very end of last season's episode, so there might have been more to the story earlier in the episode. But in Voight silencing Upton, it makes her complicit now. 

Edited by HollyG
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, HollyG said:

I had to watch the last 10 minutes of the last episode to refresh my memory. Basically Roy shot Burgess and left her to die.  Upton came to the warehouse and found Voight beating Roy for information. Upton was trying to keep Voight from killing Roy, but Roy got Voight's gun so Upton shot him. Voight buried Roy in a field and encouraged Upton not to tell anyone.

As I see it, Voight would have been in trouble for beating Roy, and Upton shot Roy to keep him from killing Voight. I don't think she would have been in trouble for her part. I only watched the very end, so there might have been more to the story. But in Voight silencing Upton, it makes her complicit now. 

Thanks. So basically the entire force is looking for someone who is dead & buried.

Two scumbag cops.

3 minutes ago, preeya said:

Thanks. So basically the entire force is looking for someone who is dead & buried.

Two scumbag cops.

ETA: Also based on the ending of this episode, I'm thinking that Burgess knows or at least suspects what is going on.

Edited by preeya
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, preeya said:

Two scumbag cops.

ETA: Also based on the ending of this episode, I'm thinking that Burgess knows.

Yes two bad cops. The entire squad is looking for a dead man. I'm not sure why Upton went along with it though. There is no way Burgess could know what Voight & Upton did as she was unconscious/nearly dead in a different location. Voight has always been a criminal and I'm sure the whole squad knows it, so maybe she is suspicious.

• Love 5
23 minutes ago, HollyG said:

Yes two bad cops. The entire squad is looking for a dead man. I'm not sure why Upton went along with it though. There is no way Burgess could know what Voight & Upton did as she was unconscious/nearly dead in a different location. Voight has always been a criminal and I'm sure the whole squad knows it, so maybe she is suspicious.

I should have said "Burgess suspects" instead of Burgess knows.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, preeya said:

Two scumbag cops.

ETA: Also based on the ending of this episode, I'm thinking that Burgess knows or at least suspects what is going on.

And think of the affect this will have on Burgess and Sam. As far as Sam knows the man who killed her son got away, and as far as Burgess knows the man who nearly killed her got away.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, preeya said:

I should have said "Burgess suspects" instead of Burgess knows.

I agree that Burgess could read Hailey's face, that something doesn't add up in what Hailey was saying. I think Burgess knows Hailey is lying, but maybe not exactly what the lie is. 

• Love 7

I'm not sure Kim knows, she was probably just confused as to why FelonyBarbie was there in the first place seeing as she has not shown one iota of concern for Kim since she rocked up.

How long before Upton spits out 'her truth'... which will involve her blaming everyone else for her own choices.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Guildford said:

How long before Upton spits out 'her truth'... which will involve her blaming everyone else for her own choices.

Next week, or when she gets back from her honeymoon after marrying Halstead? (lol)

The reaction on Jay when she said they should get married was priceless.

Edited by preeya
  • LOL 2
22 hours ago, mommalib said:

Voight and Haley are both pieces of trash. Voight is a flat out criminal. 

This is why I am glad that he is all alone and unhappy.  His son and Olinsky are dead, his grandson is far away from his toxic influence and Erin is far away from him living her best life. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, HollyG said:

I hated Hailey in every scene.  I'm not sure that's what they were going for.

The thing I absolutely don't understand is how they let Hailey get to the point where she is complicit in Voight's crime.  She has consistently been shown as concerned with ethical policing.  It was an issue in her relationship with Adam when he roughed up suspects.  I don't think that the episode is consistent with her character.  She would have insisted that Voight call in the incident immediately.  

At this point, we have several crimes between Voight and Hailey.  They destroyed evidence and lied to other law enforcement officers.  There is no redemption for Hailey at this point unless she immediately confesses what she knows and turns against Voight.  And that would end her career on this show.   So where do they go from here? It's a total dead end for Hailey. 

As to Jay, he and Hailey had potential and good chemistry at first, but the bad writing has totally jacked it up.  I find their kissing and romance scenes awkward as fuck.  Sometimes actors who are good playing characters as friends suck when they try to do romance scenes.  The actors are so unnatural together as a couple, proving once again that good chemistry does not mean the characters should be romantic.  

Their whole relationship had been about Hailey being an emotional fuckup while he tries to "understand" her.  It's a terrible imbalance, and it's no basis for a marriage.

9 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

It's disgusting how many people "ship" these cardboard cutouts. 

Heh, exactly.

Edited by nittany cougar
  • Love 3
8 minutes ago, nittany cougar said:

The thing I absolutely don't understand is how they let Hailey get to the point where she is complicit in Voight's crime.  She has consistently been shown as concerned with ethical policing.  It was an issue in her relationship with Adam when he roughed up suspects.  I don't think that the episode is consistent with her character.  She would have insisted that Voight call in the incident immediately.  

At this point, we have several crimes between Voight and Hailey.  They destroyed evidence and lied to other law enforcement officers.  There is no redemption for Hailey at this point unless she immediately confesses what she knows and turns against Voight.  And that would end her career on this show.   So where do they go from here? It's a total dead end for Hailey. 

As to Jay, he and Hailey had potential and good chemistry at first, but the bad writing has totally jacked it up.  I find their kissing and romance scenes awkward as fuck.  Sometimes actors who are good playing characters as friends suck when they try to do romance scenes.  The actors are so unnatural together as a couple, proving once again that good chemistry does not mean the characters should be romantic.  

Their whole relationship had been about Hailey being an emotional fuckup while he tries to "understand" her.  It's a terrible imbalance, and it's no basis for a marriage.

Heh, exactly.

I seems like the writers have painted Hailey into a corner. She's still got a conscious & she's not as devious as Voight. I don't see her being able to carry this burden long term.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, nittany cougar said:

Heh, exactly.

Well Haley wanted to be Voight Jr so now she's as close as she eve wanted to be.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, HollyG said:

I had to watch the last 10 minutes of the last episode to refresh my memory. Basically Roy shot Burgess and left her to die.  Upton came to the warehouse and found Voight beating Roy for information about Burgess location. Upton was trying to keep Voight from beating Roy to death, but then Roy got Voight's gun and they struggled. Upton shot & killed Roy to prevent him from killing Voight . Voight buried Roy in a field and encouraged Upton not to tell anyone. 

As I see it, Voight would have been in trouble for beating Roy, and Upton shot Roy to keep him from killing Voight. I don't think she would have been in trouble for her part. I only watched the very end of last season's episode, so there might have been more to the story earlier in the episode. But in Voight silencing Upton, it makes her complicit now. 

Since Roy murdered her son, I think Sam would have helped Voight not get in a bind over his “interrogation technique.”

• Like 1
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Jay and Hailey getting married is the dumbest, worst idea ever in the history of this show. They have ZERO chemistry. Their kiss at the end was absolutely cringeworthy. Hailey just has to go - I hope she gets caught and Jay never forgives her. Maybe his brother can set Jay up with the new doctor on Med. 

If anyone has a public Twitter account and isn't afraid to get into it, more anti-Upstead people need to make their voice heard there. It's disgusting how many people "ship" these cardboard cutouts. (When catching old episodes, I'm reminded of how Jay used to have a spark with other women, he could create great chemistry.  So sad to see what the writers have done to him.) 

I agree the dumbest thing . I read an Article where Jesse says that the proposal from him that fans would happy to see him vunrable . I’m like the comments I reading they think Jay is stupid. I have a twitter account but it’s private. The upstead fans attack. It’s hilarious I get friend requests from Upstead fans because they just want to see what I’m saying so they can talk crap about me . They should look at FB and other platforms and see how much people hate this couple 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Jaelyn96 said:

I agree the dumbest thing . I read an Article where Jesse says that the proposal from him that fans would happy to see him vunrable . I’m like the comments I reading they think Jay is stupid. I have a twitter account but it’s private. The upstead fans attack. It’s hilarious I get friend requests from Upstead fans because they just want to see what I’m saying so they can talk crap about me . They should look at FB and other platforms and see how much people hate this couple 

Their fans on twitter are vicious. I do my best to completely ignore them, but yes outside of that rabid mob this couple is tanking. Eid's just too stubborn to see it for some inexplicable reason and they continue to shove it down people's throats.

Kim surviving seemed like an afterthought to the writers as we endured another Upton whine fest. 

I think we are supposed to feel sorry for Hailey and see her as a victim in all this.....She's got form, she arranged Darrius Walkers' execution, she planted evidence, and despite bitching on Ruzek constantly about his tactics, she's 100x worse than he ever was.

Yet the TPTB seem to want fans to see her as a victim, and the tweens on twitter do...Completely ignoring that even if Voight did set it up for her to shoot Roy, she still chose to go there knowing exactly what Voight would be doing, because come on, how could you not? She chose to stay, and thought her weepy crybaby act would sway him? Like does she know him at all? And then walked away knowing he was going to cover it up & ran home & proposed to her pet rock. 

And the next day she freewheeled through Chicago destroying evidence, misleading cops, lying to her co-workers, gave up on chasing Mark, left the scene, lied to Kim, allowed Jay to shoot another man to save her ass, cried, weeped and whined and then gets rewarded with her dumb as rocks boyfriend proposing to her. 

Remind me again why we should feel sorry for her? 

Much like Voight, this character is beyond redemption.

Watch her now try and be besties with Burgess & the writers have Burgess pander to her & forgive her because 'poor hailey has traaauuummmmaaa' 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, NJRadioGuy said:

I almost wonder if this is the beginning of Beghe's exit from the show. He takes the fall, Upton takes over intelligence. Although using WoodenBarbie™ and intelligence in the same sentence is indeed a stretch.

She (WoodenBarbie™) would never take over Intelligence. If Voight leaves, I believe Jay would be next in line or they would bring in an outsider to run the unit.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, NJRadioGuy said:

I almost wonder if this is the beginning of Beghe's exit from the show. He takes the fall, Upton takes over intelligence. Although using WoodenBarbie™ and intelligence in the same sentence is indeed a stretch.

29 minutes ago, preeya said:

She (WoodenBarbie™) would never take over Intelligence. If Voight leaves, I believe Jay would be next in line or they would bring in an outsider to run the unit.

I tried to make a comment and it looks like it never posted (using my phone, ugh).  I agree that it would be Jay - they've been alluding to that for the past couple seasons. I think Voight has even said so. Jay is the most senior detective with Antonio and Al gone, and has way more experience than the rest of them. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I tried to make a comment and it looks like it never posted (using my phone, ugh).  I agree that it would be Jay - they've been alluding to that for the past couple seasons. I think Voight has even said so. Jay is the most senior detective with Antonio and Al gone, and has way more experience than the rest of them. 

Jay would make sense, but Eid wants to ram WoodenFelonBarbie™ down our throats with the force of a giant Acme Anvil. Hope she visits someone over at Chicago Med and a helicopter falls on her—and every character of that six alarm debacle.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

The problem with Jay at the moment is he isn't a leaders asshole....they have turned him into some sappy, feckless follower who spends his whole time mooning over FelonBarbie™. They would need to go grab his balls back from the chain around his girlfriends neck.

They need to bring in a new person, that nobody here is comfortable with or knows and start again.....or fire the showrunner & bring in some half way competent & who isn't obsessed with one character.

• Love 2
On 9/22/2021 at 10:59 PM, mommalib said:

Voight and Haley are both pieces of trash. Voight is a flat out criminal. 

They're really destroying Hailey's character, more than they did in the back-half of Season 8.  It's funny, but Hailey killing a guy (Voight set her up, but still) isn't nearly as bad as her lying to Kim and to the rest of the team and Voight lying to Miller about the guy being alive and on the run.  That's a massive breach of trust between her and the team, but specifically her and Jay, her and Adam, and her and Kim.  I'll give the writers this; I don't think I've ever seen this type of plot line before on Chicago PD.

• Love 4
On 9/23/2021 at 11:46 AM, HollyG said:

But she has been with Sergeant Voight for a while and knows how he rolls. That he is not above the extrajudicial death penalty.

Unlike Al, Hailey is not the suitable “partner-in-crime” for Voight. She’s constantly on the edge, shaky and always staring at him as if she needs a how-to guide on what’s next.

If Jay and Hailey get married, she will have to be transferred out of Intelligence right. It shouldn’t be Jay because he is next in line to lead the unit after Voight.

Get well soon Kim. You need to heal faster as there’s a coverup that needs to be revealed!

On 9/24/2021 at 11:06 PM, Guildford said:

They need to bring in a new person, that nobody here is comfortable with or knows and start again.....or fire the showrunner & bring in some half way competent & who isn't obsessed with one character.

This would be great if this wasn’t a Chicago show. They are incapable of bringing in a new leader without turning them into a moustache twirling villain.

• LOL 1
On 9/24/2021 at 11:07 AM, preeya said:

I wouldnt be surprised with the love Eid has for Upton that she doesn't become the new boss somehow. She's already 3rd billed on the credits and he shoves her down viewers throats and plays to the Stans of Upton and Upstead