Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Girl Meets The Truth

Jeez, take a shot everytime someone says the word universe and truth.

Yea it was a little much. It seems as if every episode has a theme. A hit someone over the head one >_>. They need to make them more subtle. Kids aren't stupid.

• Love 2

I was disappointed because last week episode was pretty good. I thought the acting was pretty bad especially the way they said their lines it just didn't feel natural. So far I'm not really feeling the show but I will keep watching.

• Love 2

I was disappointed because last week episode was pretty good. I thought the acting was pretty bad especially the way they said their lines it just didn't feel natural. So far I'm not really feeling the show but I will keep watching.

Yea last week was awesome, this week... not so much. Topanga fell flat and so did Cory. Whenever it was a cutesy line, I cringed. I think it's in part the whole Disney thing. But heck even at the end, I cringed when they kissed XD. I think the whole kissy thing made me want to barf a little in my mouth. And come on, we're not kids, you don't need to pan away you guys (unless the actors weren't actually kissing).

I felt sorry while watching it. There is chemistry, but this week it was m.i.a.... which is a shame, since they are capable of it. I think a lot of the bad stuff happens whenever they have to utter an uber cutesy line. When it's just regular flirting, it seems to be ok.

Edited by AntiBeeSpray

The episode where Shawn blew up a mailbox and had to hide at Cory's house was on ABC Family earlier this week and I was kinda hoping this episode would be like that one.  But it wasn't.  At all.  

I'm really holding out hope this show will get better because Boy Meets World was so good.  I mean, yeah, it was cheesy especially in the beginning, but not nearly as cheesy as this.  

I know this show isn't really about Cory and Topanga, but I wish they could let them mention stuff that happened to them.  I can't believe Cory hasn't even mentioned Shawn yet, especially with how much they're mirroring Maya after him.

• Love 2

I can't completely dislike this episode for the running chicken gag (I can't explain it, I found it funny) and possibly the first truly graceful character development for Maya, but the tonal shifting was all over the place and messed it up.  And coming after last week's episode, that is/was a shame.

And why the heck does Topanga always (okay, almost always) look like she's smirking?

In my opinion, I thought this entire episode seemed rushed and overly dramatic about dumb stuff. Cory doesn't like Topanga's chicken and Riley annoyingly hounds Maya after she takes a locket from the lost and found after waiting for like a month.

Edited by NickDisnCart
  • Love 1

I can't completely dislike this episode for the running chicken gag (I can't explain it, I found it funny) and possibly the first truly graceful character development for Maya, but the tonal shifting was all over the place and messed it up.  And coming after last week's episode, that is/was a shame.

And why the heck does Topanga always (okay, almost always) look like she's smirking?

Yea the chicken gag made me laugh. Good point, makes me wonder... maybe this episode was filmed before it?

Noticed that this week especially. What the heck?! O_o

In my opinion, I thought this entire episode seemed rushed and overly dramatic about dumb stuff. Cory doesn't like Topanga's chicken and Riley annoyingly hounds Maya after she takes a locket from the lost and found after waiting for like a month.

Yea some parts got on my nerves. But the lessons about the locket were ok (could have been more subtle though).

Also, is it just me or does some of the set look familiar? I recognized part of it tonight. I think where the girl's bathroom is, was where Mr. Feeny's office used to be. 

Check out this vid and you can see it looks a little similar, only updated now.

Edited by AntiBeeSpray

Speaking of sets, parts of their house are from the Shake It Up sets, right?  I swear I've seen Rocky climb in that exact same window.  

While I do agree with comments on previous episodes that there's more chemistry between Lucas/Maya than Lucas/Riley, I do kind of appreciate what the show is doing with Lucas/Riley.  I like that they're portraying the "cute crush" guy as being patient and waiting until he and Riley are both "ready" to date.  I get so tired of seeing shows and movies that show girls that relationships have to be all about drama.  Here we have the guy making it clear to Riley that he's interested, but he's also content to be her friend while they both grow up a little more. 

And I still love the Cory/Maya relationship.  When we first started hearing about the show, and it was clear that Maya was going to be Riley's "Shawn," I feared that we might have protective Cory fretting about her influence on Riley.  And it would have driven me nuts, because of his history with Shawn.  So I'm so glad to see that he cares about Maya almost as much as he does his own kids, and that he is happy to step in as a surrogate parent for her, even when she and Riley are in conflict.  

They said universe so many times, I couldn't help thinking they should rename the show Kid Gets Acquainted With the Universe. I liked Cory's line about never understanding the universe. Still the same old Cory. I liked the beginning of the chicken joke, but it got tired. While it didn't seem to fit the show in general, Cory getting locked out of the house was funny. "Please don't tell people this is how I live in my own house."

I like that Maya wasn't a thief, so much as a liar. It fit better with the theme of the episode and is less cliche than a teenage klepto. I like how Riley wasn't fooled for a second. "You've cried to me because your dad doesn't send you stuff."

I saw the opening scene in a sneak peek and thought it had to be a Farkle dream sequence. Greatly surprised it was real. Whenever Farkle's acting crazy, even when it's over the top, I can't help but think that actor really looks like he's having fun playing that part.

I did like Lucas's "I'll get my moment" line. He's better with a little backbone, and I think that was the first time we really saw him like that with Riley.

• Love 2

I'm torn on this episode.  On one had, I think it has my favorite Cory moments of the series so far.  I completely understand that this show is about Riley, but gosh, I love me some Cory.  My friend even texted me a few days ago to ask if I knew about Girl Meets World (she doesn't keep up with pop culture) and she said, "I missed these guys.  They were our friends."  She was right.  I'm just sad that they had him eating ramen in the hallway instead of pudding.

On the other hand, that story with Riley, Maya and the locket was so ridiculous to me.  Riley just randomly found this family in the subway?  And after Cory explained that she probably was very attached to whatever was inside and Riley saw the family, why wouldn't she get her a replacement locket showing Maya as a part of her family?  I guess I did like the continuity of Cory being an asshole when he gets into his truth telling from BMW and how Riley picked up that nasty trait.

• Love 1

No one else wanted Maya to tell Riley she was being a little bitch and to back the hell off? Just me? Personally, even if my BFF told me an unbelievable story, I wouldn't sit there and badger her and repeatedly call her a liar to her face. The fact that Maya gets one nice thing and Riley's auto response is she had to have stolen it, well that's just ugly. 

Topanga seems to hate Corey at this point and if I see a supposed 5 year old holding up a hand and saying he's "this many" one more time, I'm gonna need them to send that kid for evaluation. 

• Love 3

I keep being able to see why Maya loves Riley's family but I'm constantly failing to see why she actually likes Riley. Maya takes care of Riley at times, trying to protect her from stuff. Maya listens to Riley whine and nag and whatever else. Maya gets told to eat breakfast by Riley's family, gets a cellphone from Cory, gets a dance from Cory. I mean Maya gets a lot of perks out of being Riley's friend via her family but what does Maya actually see in Riley herself?

As for the tone of the show, the dialogue in this show constantly sounds like there was likes A B C and D. But they edited around it and only lines A and D made it into the show side by side. Then they tossed in line J and K eventually. What one person says to the next just never flowed.

• Love 1

More and more I think I like the idea of the show rather than the actual product.  I made the mistake of watching some BMW reruns recently and there is no comparison to the quality of that show compared to this one.  GMW feels dumbed down and the characters grate on my nerves sometimes especially Riley and sometimes Topanga.  The dialogue is so heavy handed.  I feel like they are given a topic for the episode and then beat us over the head with it from start to finish.

I feel like Topanga is just there to react to things.  I never feel she is ever involved in a storyline of her own and her character feels different to me.  I thought maybe getting older and having children could account for that but Cory is Cory just older so it's not that.

Riley did bug me with her constant interrogation of Maya about the locket.  She didn't steal it from a retail store or from an actual person, she took from lost and found.  It's not the nicest thing to do but it's not exactly a crime.  Those things get thrown out most of the time in my experience.  It obviously meant something more to her than it just being a pretty necklace and I hated that Riley couldn't find it inside herself to respect and/or empathize with that.

Maya is patterned very closely after Shawn, (who I wish would get even a token mention) and at times I wondered why he and Cory were friends or why he put up with Cory being Cory and it was just something that just was.  I think Riley and her family by extension keep Maya from being a total delinquent kind of like what Carly did for Sam on iCarly.

Cory's world on BMW felt a lot bigger than Riley's in family, location, and the issues that were tackled.  GMW feels very insular to me and I feel like they aren't utilizing the premise or the characters that this show came from. 

I'll keep watching for now but I hope it gets a lot better.

• Love 3

More and more I think I like the idea of the show rather than the actual product.  I made the mistake of watching some BMW reruns recently and there is no comparison to the quality of that show compared to this one.  GMW feels dumbed down and the characters grate on my nerves sometimes especially Riley and sometimes Topanga.  The dialogue is so heavy handed.  I feel like they are given a topic for the episode and then beat us over the head with it from start to finish.

I feel like Topanga is just there to react to things.  I never feel she is ever involved in a storyline of her own and her character feels different to me.  I thought maybe getting older and having children could account for that but Cory is Cory just older so it's not that.

Riley did bug me with her constant interrogation of Maya about the locket.  She didn't steal it from a retail store or from an actual person, she took from lost and found.  It's not the nicest thing to do but it's not exactly a crime.  Those things get thrown out most of the time in my experience.  It obviously meant something more to her than it just being a pretty necklace and I hated that Riley couldn't find it inside herself to respect and/or empathize with that.

Maya is patterned very closely after Shawn, (who I wish would get even a token mention) and at times I wondered why he and Cory were friends or why he put up with Cory being Cory and it was just something that just was.  I think Riley and her family by extension keep Maya from being a total delinquent kind of like what Carly did for Sam on iCarly.

Cory's world on BMW felt a lot bigger than Riley's in family, location, and the issues that were tackled.  GMW feels very insular to me and I feel like they aren't utilizing the premise or the characters that this show came from. 

I'll keep watching for now but I hope it gets a lot better.

Exactly. Sometimes it felt less of the hit over the head, but a lot of it had that to it. Sure BMW had those moments (*cough*Mr.Feeny is a Weeny and Mr. Feeny showed Corey and Shawn that it's not right to make fun of others*cough*), but they didn't overwhelm it. I don't think Disney knows what to do with this show exactly and it shows :(.

The heavy handed ness of the dialogue gets on my nerves O_O. That's in part what makes the characters seem so disjointed and (partially) what makes any chemistry that is there, almost evaporate.

As for Topanga, exactly. Like she's a sounding board or something. How do you feel that her character seems different now?

• Love 1

I watched some Boy Meets World episodes earlier this week and it really was so much better than this show.  The adults actually had storylines. They weren't major but they were there.  I would really like to see a little more about what Topanga is doing.  They don't need to devote tons of screen time to it but some references to what kind of lawyer she is would be nice. 

Shawn and Cory always seemed like real kids with personalities.  I feel like I know almost nothing about Riley and what she likes to do.

Also....isn't Cory supposed to be a history teacher? Why is he giving kids lessons in truth? And wasn't it Darwin last week?  

Edited by KaveDweller
  • Love 1

I watched some Boy Meets World episodes earlier this week and it really was so much better than this show.  The adults actually had storylines. They weren't major but they were there.  I would really like to see a little more about what Topanga is doing.  They don't need to devote tons of screen time to it but some references to what kind of lawyer she is would be nice. 

Shawn and Cory always seemed like real kids with personalities.  I feel like I know almost nothing about Riley and what she likes to do.

Also....isn't Cory supposed to be a history teacher? Why is he giving kids lessons in truth? And wasn't it Darwin last week?  

Yea. I just saw part of an episode where Cory's mom was going into labor.

That would be nice. Agreed, it's like the girl's (and the other kids) are just stereotypes (in part). It would be nice to learn more about them.

Good point.

As for Topanga, exactly. Like she's a sounding board or something. How do you feel that her character seems different now?

Topanga to me on BMW, she was serious but she knew how to let loose.  She understood Cory and accepted his zaniness.  I sometimes feel like she doesn't like Cory at all.  There are moments when the old Topanga shines through but for the most part she's a stand in.  I feel like Cory could be married to another woman and it wouldn't make a difference.  Does she ever leave the apartment? 

I agree that Cory and Shawn were real kids, everyone on BMW was a real person with real quirks and issues.  There were other people Cory interacted with besides Shawn and Topanga.    As much as I love Cory.  He is too wrapped up in Maya and Riley's lives inside and outside the school.  Mr. Feeny cared about his students but I feel like he had a life outside of it.  I wish that they hadn't made Cory Riley's teacher. 

I also wish this show had gone to another network like ABC.  I think the show would have been better if it were about Cory and Topanga.  Riley is not why we are watching.  She does not invoke any nostalgia in fans of BMW.  We want to know about Cory, Shawn, Topanga, Eric, Alan and Amy.  Heck even Morgan would be more interesting.  The fact that they don't mention any of the people that should be in their lives is the hugest letdown.  There should be cameos all over the place. 

This makes me think that Disney doesn't care about the fans of BMW.   If you take away Ben Savage and Danielle Fisher and replace them, it's just your standard Disney channel sitcom.

Edited by blugirlami21
  • Love 2

And seriously, what the hell kind of lessons is he even teaching? How could he possibly have objectives, homework, tests, or even grade this stuff? His non-teaching is reminding me of when I was in college and finishing up my teaching degrees. I was taking my methods which turned into a total clusterfuck. We had 3 professors who in theory should have been working together, but one was checked out since he was getting ready to leave on a two year sabbatical in England, another who tried, but couldn't make up for the other two, and the third who was apparently having a nervous breakdown and was full of fertility drugs and not getting pregnant. She literally spent an entire semester just talking AT us, not TO us, at us, we did one paper that we never received a grade on, and a project that took us easily 100 hours to complete and when it came time to turn them in, we set them on numbered desks around the room, she handed each of us a numbered slip and we peer graded them. Yeah… we were super pissed about that one. Finally about 2 weeks before the end of the semester when none of us had learned anything and were soon to be sent off to student teach, I asked her how we were going to get grades since we literally had 1 for the entire semester. She gave me some line about how she was in a place in her career where she didn't see the value of grades and said that she would grade us according to the effort we put into attending her class. Um, WHAT? I went back to my seat knowing we were all getting A's if we had shown up and stayed awake and we were going to be totally screwed when we showed up to student teach. 

That's what Corey's students are getting, totally screwed. God help them if they actually need to know some history before they get to the next grade. 

• Love 3

Cory's lessons make me laugh because they are the most general or the most vague lesson possible, with him stopping so that the show can focus on Riley and Maya's conversations.

Then we have Farkle.  I thought the show was doing well with him the past complete of weeks when they toned him down a little.  But this week they unleashed him again and the character was a mess (an annoying and creepy one at that).

I think this show is hurt by being on Disney.  It takes some of the characters and premise of BMW and plugs it into their Disney formula, which is generic and doesn't try to be more than what it is.  The characters sound the same, look the same, it's overly silly without any kind of restraint, etc.  It still has plenty of time to work itself out but not if Disney stubbornly clings to their formula.

• Love 1

This episode was terrible.  It felt like typical disney.  I've seen hints of promise with the earlier episodes, this one however was terrible.  I hope this isn't the start of a pattern.

I hope so too. Disney seems to really know how to mess things up. BMW wasn't perfect, but it was its own show and not some Disney creation. Too bad Disney isn't seeming to let GMW do the same and become something different than what they usually offer. 

Cory's lessons make me laugh because they are the most general or the most vague lesson possible, with him stopping so that the show can focus on Riley and Maya's conversations.

Then we have Farkle.  I thought the show was doing well with him the past complete of weeks when they toned him down a little.  But this week they unleashed him again and the character was a mess (an annoying and creepy one at that).

I think this show is hurt by being on Disney.  It takes some of the characters and premise of BMW and plugs it into their Disney formula, which is generic and doesn't try to be more than what it is.  The characters sound the same, look the same, it's overly silly without any kind of restraint, etc.  It still has plenty of time to work itself out but not if Disney stubbornly clings to their formula.

Definitely XD. It's as if Disney doesn't want to offend anyone, so they keep them as vanilla as possible.

Farkle wasn't as bad as he was in the pilot imo. But he could be more like he was before this episode. That was a good balance.

Exactly, and I think (sadly) that kind of thing might end up killing the show, if something isn't done.

• Love 1

I'm not getting a vibe that Topanga doesn't like Cory.  I see a lot of affection there.  Even when she's "mad" at him, she's smiling and seems more playful.  

I wasn't when the writing wasn't so cardboard. She does care about him.

I also wish this show had gone to another network like ABC.  I think the show would have been better if it were about Cory and Topanga.  Riley is not why we are watching.  She does not invoke any nostalgia in fans of BMW.  We want to know about Cory, Shawn, Topanga, Eric, Alan and Amy.  Heck even Morgan would be more interesting.  The fact that they don't mention any of the people that should be in their lives is the hugest letdown.  There should be cameos all over the place.

We're not the target audience though.  My ten year old is.  The older characters is what keeps the parents from leaving the room, they did a bad job of that this episode.  They needs to look at how degrassi did their next generation and use that as a guide (of course skewing much younger).  Don't lose what make BMW great back in the day.  This episode could have been on any disney show.

• Love 1

That's what I am getting at though.  When I first heard that there was going to be a sequel show to BMW with some original characters, I thought the show was going to be about them.  I think that's what everyone thought before we knew that it was being produced by Disney.  Your average ten year old doesn't even know what BMW is.  And why should they?  The show was made before they were born.  That to me means the show was made for fans of BMW.  Why would any adult have an interest otherwise?

I just feel like Disney is trying to have its cake and eat it too.  If they want to keep adult fans of BMW watching they need to cater to them as well.  If I didn't know Cory and Topanga from BMW, I would have no idea that this is a spin off of a previous show.  Neither Cory or Topanga have done anything to indicate that they have other family members or friends that old fans would know.  One line about Uncle Eric, Aunt Morgan, or Grandpa Alan and Grandma Amy would be enough to tether me to the new show while still remembering the first one.   Cory not even mentioning Shawn has hurt the show so much for me.

Degrassi did do it really well but it was on a network better equipped to do it correctly.

Edited by blugirlami21
  • Love 2
We're not the target audience though.  My ten year old is.

Maybe that's the difference between this show and BMW.  That was a family show and I think was targeting both kids and their parents.  This seems to be targeted to kids almost exclusively.  They figure some adults will tune in because of nostalgia, but aren't really doing anything else to entertain them.

We're not the target audience though.  My ten year old is.  The older characters is what keeps the parents from leaving the room, they did a bad job of that this episode.  They needs to look at how degrassi did their next generation and use that as a guide (of course skewing much younger).  Don't lose what make BMW great back in the day.  This episode could have been on any disney show.

And that's the issue, I think.  This could be any other Disney show. 

I hope so too. Disney seems to really know how to mess things up. BMW wasn't perfect, but it was its own show and not some Disney creation. Too bad Disney isn't seeming to let GMW do the same and become something different than what they usually offer. 

I don't know if I'd lay this all at Disney's door.  I think it's also got to include in part that there's a producer/writer who hasn't done this kind of thing in decades, trying to "modernize", and falling on cliches and conveniences (and having to lean on other people maybe, more current in the business as well).  Also a ton had to be done to shoehorn Corey and Topanga into the story, and they are paying for each compromise (even if none of it is terrible, it's digging away at any sense of depth).  And I've mentioned it in other topics--the shit low budget.  Simple stuff like an office set for Topanga (it's money causing that not to happen, I'm sure), other extras in the school (money) make a big difference.

• Love 3

Topanga to me on BMW, she was serious but she knew how to let loose.  She understood Cory and accepted his zaniness.  I sometimes feel like she doesn't like Cory at all.  There are moments when the old Topanga shines through but for the most part she's a stand in.  I feel like Cory could be married to another woman and it wouldn't make a difference.  Does she ever leave the apartment? 

We could go around the never leaving the Apartment thing forever and it won't get better.  But the differences in Topanga I think are less about the writing team and more about the changes in Danielle Fishel.  If you've seen her career in the past decade or so she's mostly done a lot of "playing herself" on pop culture shows (particularly one that was on for a few years that was a fashion version of The Soup), and I think that developed a sharp sarcastic side to her and as a consequence, I think she's been very dialed into that kind of delivery.  If the writers are responding to that, it's based on what she's demonstrated to them.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 2

I didn't hate this episode, but it definitely felt very much like a generic Disney show.  Having Riley and Maya randomly spot the family on the subway was just a bit too over the top for me.  New York City is a huge place.  To have the family just happen to standing on the subway platform at the same time Maya and Riley happen to be walking by is a bit too "wish fulfillment" to me. 

That said, I enjoyed Topanga and Corey teasing about the chicken (Topanga stabbing that chicken with a fork and moving it towards Corey will never not be funny to me).  Corey's "don't tell people I live like this in my own home" was cute and funny.  I did NOT like with way Riley treated Maya over the locket.  For a BFF, she is sorely lacking in empathy and, were I Maya, I would be seriously bugged that my bestie treated me like that.  Granted, what Maya did was not 100% honest, but she didn't steal the (ugly IMO) locket from a store or even a person.  She wasn't going to jail for claiming a locket from the L&F that didn't belong to her.  Riley needs to tone down her attitude.

I actually liked Lucas this episode.  I laughed when he said he couldn't believe the little guy stole his moment (or whatever it was).  I like the way their relationship is progressing, with both Lucas and Riley recognizing that they want to grow up a little bit before getting into anything romantic.  The play was kind of random (was I the only one who was surprised Riley would want to be on stage as the star of a play?  She struck me as too shy to want that kind of spotlight in earlier episodes.) and I hated that Maya ended up walking on stage there at the end.

Edited by ladyrott
  • Love 1

I don't know if I'd lay this all at Disney's door.  I think it's also got to include in part that there's a producer/writer who hasn't done this kind of thing in decades, trying to "modernize", and falling on cliches and conveniences (and having to lean on other people maybe, more current in the business as well).  Also a ton had to be done to shoehorn Corey and Topanga into the story, and they are paying for each compromise (even if none of it is terrible, it's digging away at any sense of depth).  And I've mentioned it in other topics--the shit low budget.  Simple stuff like an office set for Topanga (it's money causing that not to happen, I'm sure), other extras in the school (money) make a big difference.

I know, but it's kind of frustrating. Good point.

Yea it would.

Riley was super annoying in this one.  I know she's supposed to be the good girl, but she's also relentless when she latches on to something.  Also if they aren't careful, she's going to become extremely self righteous. 

I don't really lay all the issues with the show at Disney's door either.   I think a lot of the issues at present are the people behind the show are just trying so hard.  They are trying so hard to make this everything for everybody and they are trying so hard to make it Boy Meets World instead of just letting it become it's own thing.   They need to dial back the hamfisted messages.  Subtle these writers aren't.

Also yes, the whole Maya and Riley just happen to meet the family on the subway platform was ridiculous. 

Riley was super annoying in this one.  I know she's supposed to be the good girl, but she's also relentless when she latches on to something.  Also if they aren't careful, she's going to become extremely self righteous. 

I don't really lay all the issues with the show at Disney's door either.   I think a lot of the issues at present are the people behind the show are just trying so hard.  They are trying so hard to make this everything for everybody and they are trying so hard to make it Boy Meets World instead of just letting it become it's own thing.   They need to dial back the hamfisted messages.  Subtle these writers aren't.

Also yes, the whole Maya and Riley just happen to meet the family on the subway platform was ridiculous. 

Yep and that isn't good either. It'll drive away viewers.

Good point. Definitely. BMW was better at handling the messages imo. GMW has to find its own way and I hope it can.

Yeah, I don't think this is a Disney mandated thing. Maybe this is how the Disney shows aimed at really young viewers are, but I don't remember Wizards of Waverley Place or even Good Luck, Charlie being anywhere close to this heavy handed. I thought this show would be more like these two since the main characters are starting off older and they have the BMW nostalgia bringing older people in. Alex was even fairly evil for most of Wizards and one of her boyfriends ate a person (I remember over at TWoP: "Did her boyfriend just murder someone?"). This type of moralizing seems to come straight from the writers not seeming to know how people talk.

I agree with all the previous observations that there is way too much heavy-handed dialogue and they have gone too far with the themes or morals for each episode. It is seriously cramping their style! Boy Meets World got more serious with time and age and started out more lighthearted, and IMO that is what this show should do too. Also, I dont think there has been a single episode so far where Riley wasn't swooning over Lucas. I find it a bit much.
And Riley and Maya don't seem like best friends to me. Maya always acts like she needs to manage Riley or something.

Edited by purpleflowers

dialogue was terrible, random scenes like farkle gasping and riley walking backwards, were they high when directing these people? the only redeeming factor was the cute little girl at the end of the episode. god bless that angel for redeeming this pulled out of the dumpster episode, god bless :']