Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E08: Family & Friends & Feelings, Oh My!

• Start Topic

As the newly-married couples dive into domestic life and welcome friends to housewarming parties, one husband sees red flags, while another wonders if he was ready for marriage at all.

Airs Wednesday, September 8 at 8PM EST.

As always, this is a spoiler-free topic. If it hasn't happened yet on the show, please do not discuss.

• Love 1

Michaela is tripping again already?! So now she refuses to have a housewarming party. Zach might as well cut his losses now and ask for a divorce because I'd hate to see how she treats him once she decides to move back to their shared apartment. Save yourself a lifetime of PTSD and heartache, Zach! Leave now before she can take her anger out on you in a toxic way that will haunt you for the rest of your life!

Edited by Lacy4u
  • Useful 1
  • Love 15

So kill me.  I feel sorry for Johnny.  He doesn’t feel it with Bau, and he’s petrified and sorry he went into this experiment.  He took a chance for some reason, and it isn’t working, so far.  I don’t fault him.  In my own life, I tried to connect with a couple of guys that were perfect for me I thought.  It did not work, but the minute I met my husband, I knew he was the one.  It’s just a feeling you get. For me anyhow.  I do feel for Bau too, but she knew it was a gamble from the beginning.  They took a chance and it may just work out .. who knows.  This could be producer driven too.

• Love 12

I think Johnny thinks he is a lot hotter than he actually is.  He thinks he could do a lot better than Bao.  I think Bao is a bit of a nerd and he has no interest in her or anything she says.   

I like Myrla and Gil.  He has a great attitude and they are actuallly taking it slow, figuring out finances, and getting to know each other before just hopping into bed.  

I also like Brett and Ryan.  They both have a good attitudes about the process and seem to be giving it a real try. 

• Love 19
2 minutes ago, Mr. Miner said:

Talking about buying a home and won’t even kiss the guy. 🤷🏻‍♂️

She’s going too far.  What is she .. 12?  She’s 35 yrs old and acting ridiculous.  He’s not asking for intercourse, he just deserves at least a little peck on the lips.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 11

Very impressed by Gil and Myrla,   and the budget discussion. She  pays her credit card off monthly/ good for her!  Discussion of retirement funds, Gils’ savings! 
boo on the house frown.   She obviously hasn’t felt owning a house was important to her before. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 9
11 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

I think Mryla was lying about having no credit card debt.   

Yes. A complete lie. Maybe I'm wrong about her. But people lie all the time about all sorts of things. I'll have to watch the show.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Johnny and Bao can’t get themselves out of their own heads.  They’ve had more neurotic conversations than the other four couples combined.  He’s not ready.  He’s just here for the free vacation.  You don’t marry at first sight and get an immediate spark he wouldn’t of had a spark with a stranger either. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Useful 1
  • Love 18

Was Gil not privy to Myrla's financial records, and might they not include her CC info?

If anything, Myrla has been honest to a fault, considering the scorn her comments and possessions have engendered, regarding her money habits

And if Myrla has CC debt, which I doubt, that's currently not any of Gil's  beeswax! Now, if they stay married, that might become a topic of discussion. 

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 7
Just now, LennieBriscoe said:

Was Gil not privy to Myrla's financial records, and might they not include her CC info?

If anything, Myrla has been honest to a fault, considering the scorn her comments and possessions have engendered, regarding her money habits

And if Myrla has CC debt, which I doubt,, that's currently not any of Gil's  beeswax! Now, if they stay married, that might become a topic of discussion. 

He saw her bank account and she saw his. He specifically asked about credit card debt and she said she pays her credit card in full every month and doesn’t have credit card debt. 

As a married couple, I think Myrla and Gil have a right to full transparency on each other’s finances. They had a pretty good conversation about it which I was happy to see.

• Like 1
  • Love 14
32 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

She’s going too far.  What is she .. 12?  She’s 35 yrs old and acting ridiculous.  He’s not asking for intercourse, he just deserves at least a little peck on the lips.

Okay, let's  forget about the dog-kissing for now. 😝 Why does a man who has been nothing but critical, questioning, incredulous, and mocking "deserve" any physical affection from his target? 🤔

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
Just now, LennieBriscoe said:

Okay, let's  forget about the dog-kissing for now. 😝 Why does a man who has been nothing but critical, questioning, incredulous, and mocking "deserve" any physical affection from his target? 🤔

I still don't care for Myrla, but I really don't like how Gil mocks her.  I would've slapped him upside his bald head by now.

• LOL 4
  • Love 7

I didn’t understand why Myrla was shading living in an apartment like Gil’s when hers is pretty austere and basic. 
This episode was kinda boring. I flipped around the whole time. 
Ugh, gotta change the Channel before Couples Cam comes on. Bye

• LOL 8
  • Love 4

Michaela is a time bomb always waiting to explode looks like.  She was so different on her wedding day.  Why the 180 all of a sudden?  He looks disgusted already after she hit the road when he took the dog that morning.  I have a feeling this will be her personality throughout.

14 minutes ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Men do not think, they act.  Women think things through.  Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus.  The bantering doesn’t seem to bother her.  She does what she wants.

• Love 1

LOL! Pro tip: None of these couples have a future (again, no spoilers, just, hey, look at them!) so watching them collapse will be the entertainment.

The only couple I enjoy watching is Gil and Myrla. Nobody's angsting. It's like The Thin Man, but without all the booze, or the love, or a dog they both like. Their marriage was found DOA and they're going to banter on until they find out why. (Also without the witty banter, of course.)

• Love 10

Damn! I don't even know where to begin with Johnny 😖 . I was actually cool with Johnny finally having some self-awareness regarding his unrealistic expectations in a marriage but I think it was selfish of him to dump all that on Bao and then say 'Let's sleep on it' . He truly is dismissive of her feelings because how do you not give someone a chance to at least react to a bombshell like that?

If he is this overwhelmed at this point, he is not ready for marriage. 

Some of the husbands need to learn a thing or two about oversharing. Gil with the Divorce; Jose with the effing whiteboard. I have never felt such second hand embarrassment like why? 

Even his step mother in law had to advice Rachel against the stupid joint account idea (I'm ok with joint accounts for couples if both parties are down with it but definitely not a control freak like Jose)

The real loser in this ep was we the viewers Because this is week 2 for the couples and we are on episode 8....talk about dragging shit out!!!

• Love 17
1 hour ago, Lacy4u said:

Michaela is tripping again already?! So now she refuses to have a housewarming party. Zach might as well cut his losses now and ask for a divorce because I'd hate to see how she treats him once she decides to move back to their shared apartment. Save yourself a lifetime of PTSD and heartache, Zach! Leave now before she can take her anger out on you in a toxic way that will haunt you for the rest of your life!

It’s only been over a week and she’s a wreck.  He’s very nervous around her already and doesn’t even want to be in her presence.  She doesn’t go with the flow and everything bothers her.  She has to lighten up.  He doesn’t want this.

• Love 12

Mikaela, guuurrrrllllllll, it's a wrap boo. Zach is afraid of your crazy and turned OFF! Weird, none of her enabling sisters were there. I'm not a fan of these tired gatherings but alot of the food looked good.

Johnny and Bao wear me out.

Myrla looks sickly. I'm not a make-up girl either but after a certain age you need to do a little sumtin-sumtin. Gil and his incessant  'ribbing'. Shaddap already. He doesn't stop. BUT Myrla was positively giddy when he pulled up on her in the fire truck in that obviously staged scene. They're playing us. 

*sigh*. Rachel was whining 2 minutes into the episode. I'd smack Jose upside his lips with that whiteboard...lol.  

Watching couples cam...Karen & Greg's dog is scary.

I HATE that Jephte and Shawneice showed up to Woody & Amani's apartment empty handed. Just tacky. Bring a bottle of wine or something.

Edited by karenbrady
  • Love 12
3 minutes ago, karenbrady said:

Mikaela, guuurrrrllllllll, it's a wrap boo. Zach is afraid of your crazy and turned OFF! Weird, none of her enabling sisters were there. I'm not a fan of these tired gatherings but alot of the food looked good. Johnny and Bao wear me out. Myrla looks sickly. I'm not a make-u girl either but after a certain age you need to do a little sumtin-sumtin. Rachel was whining 2 minutes into the episode. *sigh*  Watching couple cam...Karen and what's his name's dog is scary. I HATE that Jephte and Shawneice showed up to Woody & Amani's apartment empty handed. Just tacky. Bring a bottle of wine or something.

The dog’s name is Bo and he is adorable but he needs some training and a lot of exercise. A tired puppy is a good puppy…

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, mythoughtis said:

Very impressed by Gil and Myrla,   and the budget discussion. She  pays her credit card off monthly/ good for her!  Discussion of retirement funds, Gils’ savings! 
boo on the house frown.   She obviously hasn’t felt owning a house was important to her before. 

By time they save for a house because he doesn’t want to use his savings, they’ll be divorced.  Are they stupid?  A house is an investment.  I thought they were smarter than that.

• Love 4

It’s possible that with enough therapy, Johnny can pass through his long time pathetic phase. I have no such optimism about Jose.

ETA: Zach decided he didn’t want to sleep with one eye open. Don’t blame him. Watching her on Unfiltered, ew.

Edited by buttersister
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5

I can’t help but believe that something happened between Zach and Michaela to which viewers weren’t privy.  And, given how adept Michaela was in lying to the other ladies, I am not sure we will ever find out what really happened.

I believe what's bothering Johnny is that Bao doesn't shower regularly.  He probably won’t admit it because he doesn’t want to embarrass her. 

• Useful 7
  • Love 5

I believe what's bothering Johnny is that Bao doesn't shower regularly

I think the whole debate about Bao's shower schedule has been blown completely out of proportion. I'm sure that, a majority of the time, Bao showers daily. She probably misses one every once in awhile when she's tired or isn't feeling well or has just had one of those days. 

I think Johnny gets so in his head and so stuck on little things that he can't really get out of his own way enough to figure out if he be attracted to Bao or not. I think Bao is a great catch. She is gorgeous, smart, gainfully employed, self supporting... If she doesn't tick all of Johnny's boxes, Johnny needs to reevaluate his boxes.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 21
41 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

By time they save for a house because he doesn’t want to use his savings, they’ll be divorced.  Are they stupid?  A house is an investment.  I thought they were smarter than that.

The savings in question was  first his version of a retirement plan, and second ….. money for his Mom  to live on in Columbia.

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 4

I'm really liking José's stepmom.  She knows how he is and she'll probably straighten his ass out about being so rigid with the finances.  She even told Rachel not to let him control everything.  Spot on.

Michaela's friend going on about her being the most level headed person - seriously?  Obviously she only knows her in a very limited way or she was paid to say that.  There is no way anyone that has seen Michaela deal with anything relationship related wouldn't have seen the crazy come out in her.  If they asked her family that question and they were honest they probably would have gotten a completely different answer.

I feel sorry for Zack.  He says he has been down this road with someone like this before so he is realistic about the relationship and knows it's doomed.

Can we give the showering thing a rest with Bao already?  Johnny's lack of spark with her is obviously NOT HER ISSUE.  He is a CLASSIC commitment-phobe.  Textbook, even.  He would invent something to not find a woman attractive.

The more I learn about Myrla the more my estimation of her is correct.  She likes to flash the Louboutin's but she is not going into debt or digging into savings to have them.  Good for her.

• Useful 1
  • Love 17

Gil and Myrlas’ party.  The subject of her not adjusting her lifestyle came  up. The film crew asked her if she would adjust her lifestyle.  She said no.  
That’s  just not a realistic answer. She has no understanding of finances in a marriage. Unless the person with the higher income is wealthy enough  to support the spouse, and any kids that arrive, etc. at the higher  income persons lifestyle level…. There will be changes to their lifestyle. 
You don’t let your lower income spouse sit home while you go eat at a fancy restaurant because they can’t pay their share.  You don’t take fancy vacations and leave your spouse home because they can’t pay  half. You don’t buy red bottom shoes and send your kids to school barefoot because your spouse can’t  afford to buy the kids shoes. Homes, furniture  and maintenance on those homes are more expensive than renting.  What if Gil is the one to reduce his work schedule for the kids? Shouid he then wear Walmart clothing while she wears designer? 
Myrla is going to have to accept that she will be contributing more money to the expenses than Gil will… or they will divorce.  Once she starts contributing the needed amount of money to maintain her desired  lifestyle For Both of them, her disposable income will drop and she will have  to adjust her spending to match.   His friends knew this at the party. She didn’t listen. 

Jose, for being so conservative ( cheap) about money, at least recognizes that some of his money will go to support Rachel and any kids that will come along. Sadly though, he’s not willing to adjust his life style either. He expects Rachel to do all the adjusting. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 15
3 hours ago, kristen111 said:

Michaela is a time bomb always waiting to explode looks like.  She was so different on her wedding day.  Why the 180 all of a sudden?  He looks disgusted already after she hit the road when he took the dog that morning.  I have a feeling this will be her personality throughout.

Men do not think, they act.  Women think things through.  Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus.  The bantering doesn’t seem to bother her.  She does what she wants.

Myrla owns her shit and she is one of the most confident women I’ve seen on this show.  She is constantly being judged but she doesn’t appear to let it get to her at all, at least not so far.  They seem to play off each other so they might accept and even enjoy their differences……i can see them both being strong but accepting and vulnerable too…. I really hope they fall deeply in love. I can see a lot of respect and shared values.

• Love 12
2 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

I think the whole debate about Bao's shower schedule has been blown completely out of proportion. I'm sure that, a majority of the time, Bao showers daily. She probably misses one every once in awhile when she's tired or isn't feeling well or has just had one of those days. 

I think Johnny gets so in his head and so stuck on little things that he can't really get out of his own way enough to figure out if he be attracted to Bao or not. I think Bao is a great catch. She is gorgeous, smart, gainfully employed, self supporting... If she doesn't tick all of Johnny's boxes, Johnny needs to reevaluate his boxes.

I think Johnny gets stuck in his head too, more than likely he has OCD or some mental health issue.  He is really lucky to have someone like Bao, she seems kind and patient.

• Love 7