Type keyword(s) to search

The Winchesters Anticipation

• Start Topic

9 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Danneel actually tweeted that herself. ❤

I only saw it on instagram. Not everyone can see it so I posted the first tweet/picture I could find. Thanks for the correction though.

Edited by Casseiopeia
  • Love 2

So I guess I’m experiencing deja vu again with some of the “you are not a proper Jensen/Dean/Supernatural/whatever fan if you express any skepticism about the prequel” ridiculousness that I’ve seen in fandom.  There are people who are just not interested in another John and Mary story or these new characters at all, and it has nothing to do with what happened with Jared last year.  The new characters are attractive, but can the actors act?  I’m not particularly fond of Robbie Thompson’s writing, either.  But of course to some, expressing these sentiments means you’re a hater.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, BornToDie said:

So I guess I’m experiencing deja vu again with some of the “you are not a proper Jensen/Dean/Supernatural/whatever fan if you express any skepticism about the prequel” ridiculousness that I’ve seen in fandom.  There are people who are just not interested in another John and Mary story or these new characters at all, and it has nothing to do with what happened with Jared last year.  The new characters are attractive, but can the actors act?  I’m not particularly fond of Robbie Thompson’s writing, either.  But of course to some, expressing these sentiments means you’re a hater.

I've never understood any "you're not a proper fan" stuff or why anyone would care about someone saying it to them. What value is there in achieving a standard of fannishness? To me, I like something or I don't. There's no virtue or vice or achievements involved. 

I guess what I'm saying is, if I were you, I wouldn't let anything like that affect your life. This is a spinoff pilot for a potential TV show. There are much bigger fish to fry in the world than whether you think it's gonna be good, or what someone else thinks of whether you think it's gonna be good. 

• Love 5

It's not that you're not a proper fan if you don't support Jensen's projects, it's more the fandom takes that seem determined to think the worst of it before it even gets on screen. It's one thing to give your opinion on whether or not it's a good idea but outright bashing it before it sees the light of day seems a tad over the top. Just my opinion.

• Love 6

Online bitching about SPN has been going on since 2005. Fans have always complained about every little aspect of the show and attacked each other for having a different opinion. That is never going to change. It does seem to be more hateful for whatever reason since the show ended. Weird. The Winchesters will survive/thrive no matter how much fans complain.

The only thing that might affect the TW is the fact that the CW is being sold to Nexstar and the WB is in the middle of a huge shake up. The two men who were advocates for Supernatural (and it's three stars) Peter Roth and Mark Pedowitz will likely not have the influence they once had. Nexstar might want to air political opinion shows and WB is dumping a lot of it's scripted shows from TNT and TBS. Only 3 pilots have been ordered by the CW (pending the sale) The Winchesters, Walker Independence and Gotham Knights. It remains to be seen if they will  get picked up for series under the new CW ownership and possible new network head.  Walker is owned by CBS so I don't know where that show or the spinoff will land if the CW completely changes it's format but The Winchesters will probably end up on HBOMax if it is picked up for series. And I really do think it will.  Gotham Knights is also a WB production and Greg Berlanti is a producer on the show. Most likely also a series pick up and HBOMax as well.

Everything is up in the air right now. So attacking each other for something that hasn't even happened yet while unfair seems on par for SPN fans.  And mostly a way for fans to blow off the stress of waiting.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, BornToDie said:

So I guess I’m experiencing deja vu again with some of the “you are not a proper Jensen/Dean/Supernatural/whatever fan if you express any skepticism about the prequel” ridiculousness that I’ve seen in fandom.  There are people who are just not interested in another John and Mary story or these new characters at all, and it has nothing to do with what happened with Jared last year...

When I first started hearing about the story, I wasn't sure I would care.  But as more info has been exposed...I'm more hopeful. 

The issue with the internet, is that one person makes a statement and then claims their statement represents x.  It may be a really small group. 

It's nonsense to say that only one person's view is correct.  Usually there are parts where you agree and disagree.  Some common ground.  Since I don't care what others tell me what I must think...I'll wait and see.  For instance I liked Jo and Ellen.  I liked Katie Cassidy as Ruby. 

I'm a Dean girl fan, but I also liked it when the Brothers worked together to solve issues.  So the SPN fandom is a very mixed bag...but I'll decide what I do or do not like.  It's fine if you disagree with me...You do you.

• Love 3

I personally haven't seen anyone called a hater simply for not being interested, however if someone goes around to every mention of the show(and in the case of twitter tags Jensen in their hate), which no one has seen yet, and start talking about how AWFUL it is, how AWFUL Jensen is, how AWFUL everything about it is, then yeah IMO those people are haters and have a very clear agenda which deserves to be called out.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, tessathereaper said:

I personally haven't seen anyone called a hater simply for not being interested, however if someone goes around to every mention of the show(and in the case of twitter tags Jensen in their hate), which no one has seen yet, and start talking about how AWFUL it is, how AWFUL Jensen is, how AWFUL everything about it is, then yeah IMO those people are haters and have a very clear agenda which deserves to be called out.

While it's sad that Jensen reads this crap getting into a twitter war with the haters won't accomplish anything except that they will get more attention. Which is all they want anyway.

5 hours ago, tessathereaper said:

Exactly. 

• Love 4

Yep. Haven't seen anyone being called a hater who wasn't being, you know, hateful. 

I will never understand why people claiming to be so uninterested in the story or the show can't seem to stop commenting on every article and interview about it. It's almost as if they have other motives. Hmmm.

• Love 7
15 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Yep. Haven't seen anyone being called a hater who wasn't being, you know, hateful. 

I will never understand why people claiming to be so uninterested in the story or the show can't seem to stop commenting on every article and interview about it. It's almost as if they have other motives. Hmmm.

I was called a horrible person online for simply saying I was skeptical of the prequel. 

(edited)
1 hour ago, TheView said:

I was called a horrible person online for simply saying I was skeptical of the prequel. 

Not saying it never happen(s)(ed), just not on my timeline.

Personally, I've seen a lot more nastiness from fans butt-hurt on Jared's behalf and dragging Jensen and Danneel (funnily enough, not Robbie, since that tweet magically disappeared from the narrative), than name-calling of skeptics.

It's still mind boggling to me. There are literally hundreds of shows on television I don't watch, and I'll never understand the appeal of reality television - but I would never consider responding to articles about them. They just don't warrant my attention. As long as I don't tune in, they effectively don't exist for me. But  to actively campaign against them ever being made? Apart from denying dozens and dozens of people work, it's just not a reasonable thing to do. In my opinion,it requires some sort of agenda. And for those claiming only to fear for the integrity of the mothership? Please. That ship sailed a long, long time ago (somewhere after Season 11).

ETA: I'd also lay down money on the fact that Jensen cares more about the integrity of the show than just about anyone, showrunners, writers, and fans included.

Edited by gonzosgirrl
  • Love 14

So CW both  went on a cancellation spree today but also picked up its three Pilots to series. I was most worried about the prospects of the show in terms of the CW's situation.

Kudos to the Winchesters, first SPN spin-off project to go to series.  

• Love 12
On 5/10/2022 at 12:16 PM, gonzosgirrl said:

ETA: I'd also lay down money on the fact that Jensen cares more about the integrity of the show than just about anyone, showrunners, writers, and fans included.

Literally goes without saying. Jensen is pretty much the only person I would trust with any kind of sequel/prequel/SPN-adjacent project.

Congrats to Jensen, Danneel, Robbie, and the cast on the pick up!

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Aeryn13 said:

Kudos to the Winchesters, first SPN spin-off project to go to series.

I never realized how satisfying this would feel for me, but this is how it should be AFAIC. 

Big congrats to Jensen and Danneel and co.

And we're going to hear Dean Winchester's voice again. I cannot wait.💝

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Aithne said:

Aaaand, we've got a series order! Looking forward to seeing what JA and Thompson can do with this premise!

Looks I'll actually watch The CW again. At least to give this a try.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, PAForrest said:

Literally goes without saying. Jensen is pretty much the only person I would trust with any kind of sequel/prequel/SPN-adjacent project.

Congrats to Jensen, Danneel, Robbie, and the cast on the pick up!

Now that we know time travel and alternate timelines are going to be the premise I can see where Robbie is going with this now. We already have Henry Winchester time traveling through hotel room closets and Cuthbert Sinclair is alive in the 70's so we have a tie into the MOL's. It's starting to feel like an old school SPN twist on the og.

I'm happy for all three shows although another Batman origin story isn't really for me. I'm excited to see the other two.

• Love 3

So after so many years and several attempts SPN finally gets a spin off. Good for them. I'll give it a try even though I'm not exactly a fan of older John and Mary, it's more interesting than another group of Hunters and definitely more interesting than whatever Bloodlines was supposed to be. 

It's interesting that Walker: Independence is also a prequel, albeit one with much less connection to the original. I'll check out that as well as Gotham Knights. 

The CW really cleaned house in the last couple of weeks/conducted a bloodbath, I wasn't even sure any of the pilots were getting picked up even though the rumours were that all of them probably would be. 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Casseiopeia said:

Now that we know time travel and alternate timelines are going to be the premise I can see where Robbie is going with this now. We already have Henry Winchester time traveling through hotel room closets and Cuthbert Sinclair is alive in the 70's so we have a tie into the MOL's. It's starting to feel like an old school SPN twist on the og.

I just found this out and, now only I can think is that this is JA's giant fix it/FU to the SPN Finale...if by the end of The Winchesters Dean is back alive kicking ass and saving people I will love JA forever 😍

7 hours ago, Featherhat said:

The CW really cleaned house in the last couple of weeks/conducted a bloodbath, I wasn't even sure any of the pilots were getting picked up even though the rumours were that all of them probably would be. 

Making themselves more attractive to a potential buyer (cutting the fat)

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
28 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:
12 hours ago, Casseiopeia said:

I just found this out and, now only I can think is that this is JA's giant fix it/FU to the SPN Finale...if by the end of The Winchesters Dean is back alive kicking ass and saving people I will love JA forever 😍

I had not heard about time travel and AUs being the premise, but it makes perfect sense.

As for the bolded part...

I would pay for this to happen because I already know that I am going to love Jensen forever. 🥰

Edited by Myrelle
  • Love 4

Wait, how do we know about alternate timelines? I totally agree, it would be amaaaazing if this ended either changing the ending or causing that timeline to splinter off and this one to continue on with Dean alive and well, saving people and hunting things, and growing into the retirement he should've had. 

• Love 3

Had a thought...what if...when John wrote "I went to Missouri and I learned the truth," it meant he learned everything that had happened before (the premise of the prequel) because Missouri pulled back the "curtain" in is mind?

Also, explains how Dean was always so impressed with John's skills at putting together past research that showed patterns. Maybe John remembering past events?

• Love 2
On 5/11/2022 at 12:46 AM, gonzosgirrl said:

It's still mind boggling to me. There are literally hundreds of shows on television I don't watch, and I'll never understand the appeal of reality television - but I would never consider responding to articles about them. They just don't warrant my attention. As long as I don't tune in, they effectively don't exist for me. But  to actively campaign against them ever being made?

I agree. What is the point in announcing that you are not interested in something?

Negative interest is still interest.

Wouldn't the fact that you don't talk about it or keep up about it be enough?

To everyone who is clutching pearls about "oh the canon!", please, there was hardly any canon continuity by the end of SPN. Anything can be retconned, and as long as they don't retcon the brothers journey/lives, does it really matter?

As a side about the JP stans being upset about last year, has JP ever, even in a round about way, expressed interest in continuing to be involved in the SPN world?

JA would mention a short order series, a continuation,  something in every interview he did. He also kept mentioning that "Dean's not gone." He thought of doing something SPN related during the COVID lockdown. 

Haven't seen anything SPN related from JP except some Easter eggs in Walker. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, MAK said:

Had a thought...what if...when John wrote "I went to Missouri and I learned the truth," it meant he learned everything that had happened before (the premise of the prequel) because Missouri pulled back the "curtain" in is mind?

Also, explains how Dean was always so impressed with John's skills at putting together past research that showed patterns. Maybe John remembering past events?

This would be a very clever explanation! I like it. 

• Love 2

The new bosses at the CW have been seriously culling the field lately, cancellations have been a bloodbath, I was surprised that they ended up picking this pilot up. Good on them for finally getting one of their spin-offs off the ground, and while I am not sure how psyched I am about the adventures of young John and Mary, it certainly sounds better than the other perspective spin-offs. Of course, if Jenson is involved, I would be tuning in if the show was about the adventures of the mechanic who fixes the Impala from time to time. 

• Love 5
(edited)

How about a series post-season 15 where Dean is haunting the Impala.  Maybe Sam takes occasional hunts or loans the car to other hunters, so there will be some action.

Jensen can be the voice of Baby.  They can call it...[wait for it....] My Brother the Car.

(Sorry/not sorry)

ETA:  I know, I'm waaaay too old (and probably so are those who know what I'm talking about 😊)

Edited by ahrtee
Thoughts.
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
(edited)
28 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

The new bosses at the CW have been seriously culling the field lately, cancellations have been a bloodbath, I was surprised that they ended up picking this pilot up. Good on them for finally getting one of their spin-offs off the ground, and while I am not sure how psyched I am about the adventures of young John and Mary, it certainly sounds better than the other perspective spin-offs. Of course, if Jenson is involved, I would be tuning in if the show was about the adventures of the mechanic who fixes the Impala from time to time. 

Or Dean's the mechanic - he woke up with no memory of who he was, and he's built a nice little life working in the local garage. All he knows of his past is that  he has a unique set of skills. Skills that make him a nightmare for things that go bump in the night. 

Edited by Aithne
  • Love 4
(edited)
5 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Was there another 'leaked script'?

Or is this fan spec?

David Hayden-Jones spilled the premise at a SPN adjacent convention a few weeks ago.  

I am way more excited for the show than I was.

Edited by Casseiopeia
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, Casseiopeia said:

David Hayden-Jones spilled the premise at a SPN adjacent convention a few weeks ago.  

If it's true, then it was a douche-move on his part. It's not his story to tell.

• Love 1

I got mixed feelings on this one. I knew it would get picked up with the great relationship Jensen has with Pedowitz but the Discovery takeover has changed everything. This show was created to fit the CW model they have leaned into the past several years, now that model had an ax taken to it with the Red Wedding. The CW shows actually have to perform now and that makes this an uphill battle. They have to win over the people that hate John and those that hate Mary. Then it has to be good enough to bring in the viewers because now the ratings actually matter. There is plenty of time to reconfigure to what ever the new landscape is so thats a good thing. 

I am worried about the time travel/alternate timeline thing. Technically, all alternate timelines/realities were destroyed by Chuck. That could be the first Jensen fix. If it's not set in the past, then why is Dean narrating it? Jensen was on set for the entire pilot production so maybe he will be on screen. If the show films in Georgia instead of Canada then it will be pretty easy for J2 to make guest appearances. If the show doesnt hit the numbers it needs out of the gate then that dramatically increases the chance of a guest spot, especially if the show is set in the present. 

In the end, I'm just glad we get to see a Jensen run show and will be very happy to hear Dean's voice again. For however long or short that time is. 

It filmed in New Orleans. I really hope that David didn't actually spoil anything for the show. What a shitty thing to do if so, especially for such a minor actor. 

I am 100% confident that Jensen and company are a lot more aware of how to navigate the new landscape than we are. 

I'm a bitch but I'm finding it hard to work up any sympathy for Julie Plec. It is to bad for the actors and crews though. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Lastcall said:

Technically, all alternate timelines/realities were destroyed by Chuck.

They are destroyed now. They would still have been in play in 1972. The time travel, if true, would also have happened before the confrontation with Chuck at the end of S14.

Also, who knows if David Hayden-Jones was serious or just joking around to play with the audience?

• Love 1

How does he even know the premise? Is he in the Pilot? If so, I conpletely missed that.

New Orleans is a cool location, though. Makes me a bit wistful for the Originals, especially as the TVD-verse has ended now. 

It is true that the days of the CW being a reliable comfort zone for shows to not be cancelled is now over. I mean they just cancelled 5 shows I was still watching but I'm not really upset about any, bar if they have unsatisfying Finales. So, that doesn't speak for the quality of the CW in the last few years.

I hope the Winchesters can succeed in the harsh competition of TV land and it gets a fair chance to do so. If the CW should fix one thing, it is their god-awful scheduling.

• Love 1
On 5/12/2022 at 11:04 PM, Casseiopeia said:

This is why I never understood the but canon... upset when all these things existed to be able to tell the story within canon.

As Jensen said, there was not really a lot of specific canon about John and Mary but tent poles or way points he said all along that they would hit.  

The more I hear about this show, the more excited I get.  I am really excited to meet Carlos.  The actor playing him, seems very talented.  His singing voice is amazing. 

6 hours ago, Aeryn13 said:

How does he even know the premise?

David said he talked to Jensen about it.  I'm guessing this took place when they met up at cons. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

It seems weird that Jensen would tell DHJ something he hasn't publicly put out in the press or even hinted at himself or leaked by the press. So I tend to question DHJ's veracity on that one. That said, if Jensen did tell him, and it was intended to remain private, then I guess Jensen knows to never tell him anything more or less confidential again!

It could also be that it's speculation on DHJ's part. It's not a stretch that they would go the AU route and time travel as part of the premise. I agree that is kinda lousy for DHJ to speak on it and not Jensen.

• Love 4

The main reason the time travel element makes sense to me is that a show set in the 70's makes things a little more difficult. You are talking about a lot of vintage cars and sets and a target audience that probably doesn't relate to the time period at all. However, that doesn't explain how Dean is narrating unless that is a misdirect. I am afraid that if the premise is altered timelines that they could set up John and Mary changing the future so the main show doesn't happen. I just can't see Jensen allowing that. 

Something really weird is happening in Hollywood right now. They have been burning through money like drunken sailors who thought the party would never end. Now the bill is due. A month ago, I thought all the show had to do is get picked up then it could run forever because ratings don't matter. Jensen and Robbie made a show that fit into the CW's model and now that model has been destroyed. I don't think Pedowitz will survive the sale, so Jensen's biggest ally will be gone. Zaslav only cares about performance, so if the show isn't reasonably profitable, it's gone. 

On a positive note. Jensen and Robbie have passion for this project. They are super fans and know how to tell a story. If they can pull this off it opens the door to everything. Jensen could provide a lot of content for HBOMax and it would be very easy to do a 6 to 8 episode Supernatural series like Jensen wants.

11 minutes ago, Lastcall said:

I don't think Pedowitz will survive the sale,

Both Pedowitz and Roth already left, long ago.  So the current administration are the ones who made the decision to pick up the show. 

I'm sure that if the model no longer fits they can adapt to change things.  That is one benefit of a new show. 

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, Lastcall said:

The main reason the time travel element makes sense to me is that a show set in the 70's makes things a little more difficult. You are talking about a lot of vintage cars and sets and a target audience that probably doesn't relate to the time period at all. However, that doesn't explain how Dean is narrating unless that is a misdirect. I am afraid that if the premise is altered timelines that they could set up John and Mary changing the future so the main show doesn't happen. I just can't see Jensen allowing that. 

I could see it being something where a different timeline branches off from this - the main show isn't erased, but it's completed from a Winchester perspective. Dean's dead, Sam's dead, Sam's kid doesn't hunt. 

So short of heavenly shenanigans to resurrect the Winchesters for one last ride, there's nothing to mine for a SPN sequel in the main 'verse. (Thanks Dabb and Singer!) If JA has interest in continuing into the brothers' middle age,  it seems like an alternate branch off the timeline is the way to go - maybe it's very similar in many ways, but it diverges somewhere important. Say John is mindwiped and their childhood / young adulthood and Azazel hunt is essentially identical. There's just one difference that ends up butterfly effecting things later. The easiest thing to imagine changing, for me, would be Mary and John as breeding stock for the apocalypse. Maybe they do something here that disqualifies them to birth the archangel vessels, and the roles go to someone else, or the apocalypse is pushed off for hundreds of years, that sort of thing. Azazel still targets Mary to make one of his kids because it amuses him to corrupt a line of hunters, but his bellicose ambitions don't end up being tied to an imminent return of Lucifer. Sam dies in 2.22, Dean tries to sell his soul but it has no value to Hell sans the apocalypse plotline, so he has to find another way to resurrect him. Together, they keep hunting for a while, but Sam eventually leaves the life and settles down while Dean carries on. Maybe this is where we meet them in the sequel - Sam hasn't hunted in years, but has made a career as a defense lawyer getting people acquitted when supernatural situations have made them seem responsible for a crime. Dean is starting to slow down in his active field role as a hunter, but has been mentoring other younger guys and gals he meets along the way. 

Much less PTSD and angst because neither guy was ever in Hell, and a take on how they could've grown to use their knowledge in a productive way, rather than getting creepily codependent and tunnel-visioned on each other.

Edited by Aithne
(edited)
1 hour ago, ILoveReading said:

Both Pedowitz and Roth already left, long ago.  So the current administration are the ones who made the decision to pick up the show. 

I'm sure that if the model no longer fits they can adapt to change things.  That is one benefit of a new show. 

Pedowitz is still there.

https://deadline.com/2022/05/the-cw-cancellations-upfront-2022-transitional-year-ownership-change-1235022928/

"While time will tell what the CW would evolve into, for now, under Pedowitz, the network remains committed to diverse and inclusive storytelling that could push boundaries."

Edited by catrox14
wrong link
  • Useful 2

Yes, Pedowitz definitely is still there. But no longer in charge to the degree he was. The CW presumably wanted to renew some of the now cancelled shows but the studios said no.

A big question mark is still the pending sale. If Nexstar aquires the CW and doesn't want to air any scripted shows going forward,  just cheap reality shows or maybe just news/commentary stuff, the avenue left would just be HBO Max.

I think maybe that's how the Pilots got picked up. See how the shows are performing and if possibly they could be something for their Streamer. As in not just air there but be produced for it. We'll have to see.

• Useful 2
22 hours ago, Aeryn13 said:

A big question mark is still the pending sale. If Nexstar aquires the CW and doesn't want to air any scripted shows going forward,  just cheap reality shows or maybe just news/commentary stuff, the avenue left would just be HBO Max.

I think maybe that's how the Pilots got picked up. See how the shows are performing and if possibly they could be something for their Streamer. As in not just air there but be produced for it. We'll have to see.

I didn't think of the HBO Max angle. If they stream the show the day after the CW airs it then that's a great opportunity to move when Nexstar takes over. It might make the views more important than the demo. If they can get the near million viewers that Walker and Superman get that translates to a show subscribers want to watch. The new Warner Bros mantra is value and profit and Zaslav wants franchises. If Jensen can show the IP potential to the WB we could see some really good Supernatural content in the future. 

I looked at who is attached to the show on IMDB. I found out that Glen Winter worked with Jensen on Smallville. Jensen has assembled people he trusts and has worked with. He is very invested in this. I'm very interested in the episode order. The CW has been ordering 10 to 20 episode seasons post Covid. I'm sure many episodes have already been written, so if we are looking at a 10 to 13 count season then they won't be able to course correct if its not well received. If its near 20 then they can rework things to make it more attractive to viewers and the WB.

• Useful 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Lastcall said:

looked at who is attached to the show on IMDB. I found out that Glen Winter worked with Jensen on Smallville.

Glen Winter is pretty much the Pilot guy for Berlanti shows, it's a freaking awesome gig since the Pilot director gets residuals for every episode.  I don't know if JA and GW worked together on Smallville but, Winter is well known in the WB world.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Useful 1