Type keyword(s) to search

The Winchesters Anticipation

• Start Topic

(edited)
8 hours ago, Pondlass1 said:

But  I just have to have faith in Jensen. It ain’t gonna last 15 seasons tho 😟

I never thought that was the intention. I recall months/a year? ago when Jensen talked about a 6-episode reboot/revisit on a streaming platform. And with the indication this is just one of a few stories he has in mind, I get the impression this and anything else that comes after will be limited. I hope so, at least. That's the best bet anyway.

Obviously he swung the idea by Kripke, who liked it, so he and D have a take on it that may or may not work. But I'll give it a go because, again, I suffered through the last 3-5 years of Drabbness with its LOL!canon/no canon, so nothing can be worse. And unlike Dabb and most of his staff, Jensen legit loves the show and wanted better for it that he never got.

If this one makes it to air and if there are other limited stories he wants to tell, it will confirm my feeling that Jensen is producing professional fixit-fic. I wonder what other ideas he has? Whatever they are, if any of them fly in a limited capacity, my feeling is that he'd be working up to the big fixit - the finale. I'd seriously empty my bank account to see Jensen fix that one.

If nothing else, the speculation about The Winchesters gives us something new to talk about.

Edited by PAForrest
addition
  • Love 6

It's kind of hilarious that there is so much 'but.. but.. BUT CANON!' when the show itself disregarded/changed/retconned at will - whether it served the story (at times) or not (more often) and so many wished they (me, I mean me) could just disregard the Badd years entirely. Why not tell a different story? Maybe it will be just that - a butterfly effect - change one thing, change everything.

• Love 10
28 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

It's kind of hilarious that there is so much 'but.. but.. BUT CANON!' when the show itself disregarded/changed/retconned at will - whether it served the story (at times) or not (more often) and so many wished they (me, I mean me) could just disregard the Badd years entirely. Why not tell a different story? Maybe it will be just that - a butterfly effect - change one thing, change everything.

I can see an AU/different timeline type of story.  But Jensen did say that "canon was the fun part" so it sounds like they have made their story work (as much as possible) in canon. I guess that's why we are all speculating on how they pulled it off.

3 hours ago, PAForrest said:

I recall months/a year? ago when Jensen talked about a 6-episode reboot/revisit on a streaming platform. And with the indication this is just one of a few stories he has in mind, I get the impression this and anything else that comes after will be limited. I hope so, at least. That's the best bet anyway.

This makes a lot of sense. I can't really see JA developing any kind of "in canon" or "canon related" continuous show that would last an indefinite number of seasons, or even 2-3 seasons. I too hope that what they come up with is a short series whose beginning and ending is already defined, if not written.

Or they change the main characters as the seasons progress. John and Mary in S1, Henry and Millie with the MoL in S2 (I don't know how interesting Henry and Millie would be, but they would be Winchesters), John and boys from Mary's death upto the year of Shtriga incident in S3, etc. Maybe one off episodes of Bobby, Rufus, Harvelle's origins peppered in. Each season would be complete in and of itself.  With keeping it firmly in the past they could cast whoever. (Don't think people would be open for  "new" Sam and Dean so soon.)

That would be interesting. 

54 minutes ago, Casseiopeia said:

I can see an AU/different timeline type of story.  But Jensen did say that "canon was the fun part" so it sounds like they have made their story work (as much as possible) in canon. I guess that's why we are all speculating on how they pulled it off.

It seems less speculating on how they pulled it off than implying it's impossible to do and it's a stupid to even try it.  We don't actually know that much about John and Mary canonically, we have a very basic outline for the most part.  There is a lot that can be filled in.  

There are plenty of in canon ways that John and Mary's story can be told.  I actually think the fact that maybe John doesn't know, at least for part of the time, is a good thing.  It gives a way for John and Mary to be developed as their own people and not only as "JohnandMary".  I don't think it's a terrible idea to develop a bit of non-supernatural storyline too.  Even on SPN some of the most interesting parts didn't directly involve the supernatural but the relationships between the characters.   

What makes Mary decide she has to continue hunting after she so desperately wanted to get out? She really wanted out, we were shown that. Was it really all her choice or is it possible she was forced to in some way?  Did she feel like she had to because she couldn't just do nothing when she had the knowledge to help?  How hard was that for her to balance?  I too hope they don't make her Super Hunter because it wouldn't make sense, she shouldn't be any more advanced than early Dean and Sam were AND the show should remember that there actually wasn't very much demon activity during the years prior to the show.  It was kind of a big deal how demon activity was ramping up during the first couple seasons of the show compared to what it had been in the past. Which means most of the focus should probably be on monsters in terms of the hunting. 

But I have no reason NOT to trust that Jensen and Robbie were not taking those things into account because Jensen specifically mentioned them digging into the canon and figuring it out.

We do know in canon mindwipes are a thing so really there shouldn't be any big complaints about that, IF they use them(they may not use that device), it's literally canon.  And that can be tragic too, not just an easy way out.  If John did know(he did at least once when Dean and Sam went back in 1978) but then was mind wiped, instead of being somewhat prepared he was utterly shocked, which in turn sent him on a probably even worse downward spiral into being the abusive parent he turned into.  It doesn't absolve John of what he did, those were still his choices and he still had it in him, but it does show how supernatural interference in the course of their lives made things worse.  If he'd had even some sort of basic knowledge maybe he could have given Dean and Sam at least a little more stability instead of uprooting them every few months.  That can be told in a tragic and compelling way.  

Plus really the show can add to the lore, which IMO is something which would be nice to get back to from "Canon? What Canon?" of the Dabb years.  They could do some of the legends and monsters that weren't covered in SPN prime.  On the more cosmic side, maybe they can give some gravitas back to the Winchester's role in this whole thing, even Dean and Sam, instead of the joke it became because even the writers didn't take it seriously during the last few seasons.

• Love 9

I'm really interested in John's view and perspective and how and why he even could have become the man he turned into after Mary died.

The angels were apparently "watching over" the brothers' parents from when? From birth? Or did they just get tired of waiting for their "Dad" to return and took matters into their own hands with these two particular families of two bloodlines that could have been, in truth, any two families that were a part of those bloodlines.

That certainly goes along with show canon to some degree.

And maybe, "It always had to be the Winchesters" was just angelic and,  eventually, demonic manipulation and propaganda and we'll get the beginning/source of that, too.

• Love 2
39 minutes ago, tessathereaper said:

It seems less speculating on how they pulled it off than implying it's impossible to do and it's a stupid to even try it.

I guess I can only speak for myself. My specs go all over the map and none of it works. I am dying to see how they pull this off.

I wonder if Kripke had some ideas that he talked about wanting to do which Jensen is expanding. 

However, they could use the times that they went into the past, it changed the events.  Depending on how they ignore cannon, it can't be worse than the Dabb years.

A short season would allow for them work on other projects.  Also I could handle them ignoring the last few years as if they didn't happen.  If you ignore season 13 and 14, you have lots of options.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, tessathereaper said:

It seems less speculating on how they pulled it off than implying it's impossible to do and it's a stupid to even try it.  We don't actually know that much about John and Mary canonically, we have a very basic outline for the most part.  There is a lot that can be filled in.  

There are plenty of in canon ways that John and Mary's story can be told.  I actually think the fact that maybe John doesn't know, at least for part of the time, is a good thing.  It gives a way for John and Mary to be developed as their own people and not only as "JohnandMary".  I don't think it's a terrible idea to develop a bit of non-supernatural storyline too.  Even on SPN some of the most interesting parts didn't directly involve the supernatural but the relationships between the characters.   

What makes Mary decide she has to continue hunting after she so desperately wanted to get out? She really wanted out, we were shown that. Was it really all her choice or is it possible she was forced to in some way?  Did she feel like she had to because she couldn't just do nothing when she had the knowledge to help?  How hard was that for her to balance?  I too hope they don't make her Super Hunter because it wouldn't make sense, she shouldn't be any more advanced than early Dean and Sam were AND the show should remember that there actually wasn't very much demon activity during the years prior to the show.  It was kind of a big deal how demon activity was ramping up during the first couple seasons of the show compared to what it had been in the past. Which means most of the focus should probably be on monsters in terms of the hunting. 

But I have no reason NOT to trust that Jensen and Robbie were not taking those things into account because Jensen specifically mentioned them digging into the canon and figuring it out.

We do know in canon mindwipes are a thing so really there shouldn't be any big complaints about that, IF they use them(they may not use that device), it's literally canon.  And that can be tragic too, not just an easy way out.  If John did know(he did at least once when Dean and Sam went back in 1978) but then was mind wiped, instead of being somewhat prepared he was utterly shocked, which in turn sent him on a probably even worse downward spiral into being the abusive parent he turned into.  It doesn't absolve John of what he did, those were still his choices and he still had it in him, but it does show how supernatural interference in the course of their lives made things worse.  If he'd had even some sort of basic knowledge maybe he could have given Dean and Sam at least a little more stability instead of uprooting them every few months.  That can be told in a tragic and compelling way.  

Plus really the show can add to the lore, which IMO is something which would be nice to get back to from "Canon? What Canon?" of the Dabb years.  They could do some of the legends and monsters that weren't covered in SPN prime.  On the more cosmic side, maybe they can give some gravitas back to the Winchester's role in this whole thing, even Dean and Sam, instead of the joke it became because even the writers didn't take it seriously during the last few seasons.

Great post. I agree completely.

• Love 1
On 7/8/2021 at 2:43 PM, 7kstar said:

I wonder if Kripke had some ideas that he talked about wanting to do which Jensen is expanding. 

However, they could use the times that they went into the past, it changed the events.  Depending on how they ignore cannon, it can't be worse than the Dabb years.

A short season would allow for them work on other projects.  Also I could handle them ignoring the last few years as if they didn't happen.  If you ignore season 13 and 14, you have lots of options.

They can do this then set things up with this series to fix the Dabbnatural endgame Dean arc mess. Do Dean Decent.

• Love 5
On 7/14/2021 at 7:55 AM, Castiels Cat said:

They can do this then set things up with this series to fix the Dabbnatural endgame Dean arc mess. Do Dean Decent.

I could seriously go for this. Mary encounters something (angelic or otherwise) that changes one thing, one thing leads to another, which leads to another thousand things, and yada, yada, yada, to cut a long story short, Dean doesn't get a creatively bankrupt death at age 42. If we can do it for the Titanic, we can do it for Dean. 

Edited by Aithne
  • Love 7

I was looking around to see if there was any new info about the prequel Jensen's  production company is working on, and I found this. I'm surprised it didn't get more attention within the fandom. The first trailer is from last June, right around the time The Winchesters was announced, but it was obviously in the works well before then so I don't think this was an attempt at sort of poaching the idea. It's obviously a low budget production, but they put a lot of effort into it. I haven't watched the whole episode  yet, but the trailer is actually pretty good. 

Anyway, Ithought some of you might enjoy it, or at least want to check it out!

2 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I just don't get how they don't get sued.

They haven't released anything since August, maybe they weren't able to continue due to legal reasons related to the prequel by Chaos Machine Productions? Or since this never really took off, maybe Chaos didn't see the point in suing. I don't know anything about the ins-and-outs of show business so couldn't say. The YouTube video does have a disclaimer making it clear they're not affiliated with Chaos or that  prequel.

29 minutes ago, goyour-own-way said:

They haven't released anything since August, maybe they weren't able to continue due to legal reasons related to the prequel by Chaos Machine Productions? Or since this never really took off, maybe Chaos didn't see the point in suing. I don't know anything about the ins-and-outs of show business so couldn't say. The YouTube video does have a disclaimer making it clear they're not affiliated with Chaos or that  prequel.

Chaos Machine only owns the rights to their prequel idea, as far as I know (could be wrong, but that's my assumption). But WB owns Supernatural and the characters - I don't see how you can just use their characters like this. Is this not also the 'production' that hired that Twitter/Instagram sycophant guy? (the one who made the JDM video, then got hit up by fandom until he made one for most of the male case, and bought into his own hype) It all seemed pretty shady to me.

• Love 3

I'm not sure of the exact terms and conditions with copyright/IP, but I think you can use the characters and universe if its just a passion project and you aren't making money or trying to profit.  Its how people can write fan fiction, and make videos.  So if they put a disclaimer that its just for fun, I think its allowed depending on the owner of the rights. 

Like for example, I believe Ann Rice didn't allow fan fiction of her novels to be posted on the internet, but the WB clearly has no issue with it.  (Don't quote me on the Ann Rice thing because it was from someone I used to follow on twitter, not an official source). 

23 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Is this not also the 'production' that hired that Twitter/Instagram sycophant guy? (the one who made the JDM video, then got hit up by fandom until he made one for most of the male case, and bought into his own hype) It all seemed pretty shady to me.

No, that was a different group who call their show Lineage.  Different group.

26 minutes ago, ILoveReading said:

I'm not sure of the exact terms and conditions with copyright/IP, but I think you can use the characters and universe if its just a passion project and you aren't making money or trying to profit.  Its how people can write fan fiction, and make videos.  So if they put a disclaimer that its just for fun, I think its allowed depending on the owner of the rights. 

Like for example, I believe Ann Rice didn't allow fan fiction of her novels to be posted on the internet, but the WB clearly has no issue with it.  (Don't quote me on the Ann Rice thing because it was from someone I used to follow on twitter, not an official source). 

No, that was a different group who call their show Lineage.  Different group.

Ah okay, I was conflating the two projects. I'm not sure why you would go to the trouble of the one above, and call it a 'trailer' if it is just a fan-fic type thing but to each their own.

ETA: WB cares sometimes - I made a short, two minute video the S1-S2 highlights to augment a fic I wrote, and I got tagged on Youtube for it and had to take it down.

Edited by gonzosgirrl

Most big companies don't bother with fanfiction--it's good publicity, and keeps the fans involved and engaged.  It's only when it might cut into their profits/become a substitute for the original, or copies the actual work--like videos, which involve actors, directors, DPs, etc.--for their own benefit, that they sometimes push back.  Mostly it's a question of them finding out about it, and then deciding if they want to bother.  Authors tend to be more protective of their own work than large companies, because it's much more personal.  

Edited by ahrtee
  • Love 1
On 12/22/2021 at 10:00 AM, gonzosgirrl said:

ETA: WB cares sometimes - I made a short, two minute video the S1-S2 highlights to augment a fic I wrote, and I got tagged on Youtube for it and had to take it down.

Disney is the worst about it, went after a schoolteacher for teaching her students to draw dogs, and they claimed it was their property when they weren't doing their dogs but something similar.  Most likely you got too many hits and then they complained.  In order to keep the copyright, there is a clause about you must protect your work or you will lose it, not a direct quote. 

Some see it as free advertising, so it just depends. 

2 hours ago, 7kstar said:

Disney is the worst about it, went after a schoolteacher for teaching her students to draw dogs, and they claimed it was their property when they weren't doing their dogs but something similar.  Most likely you got too many hits and then they complained.  In order to keep the copyright, there is a clause about you must protect your work or you will lose it, not a direct quote. 

Some see it as free advertising, so it just depends. 

Disney was notorious for charging huge amounts for the use of their material and going after anyone who didn't get their permission.  I used to handle copyright/permissions for the publishing house that published the original Winnie The Pooh, and could only give permission for illustrations/quotes from the books, not any Disney versions. (I had to turn down a hospital that just wanted to paint one picture of Pooh on the wall of their children's wing, though I did tell them to talk to the Disney lawyers.)   It's pretty much a question of the bigwigs finding out about it.  

On 6/28/2021 at 8:56 PM, Morrigan2575 said:

Every spinoff I wanted is long past it's use by date. Young Rufus/Bobby chronicles, Crowley/Castiel Investigations in the Queen Car (i have Good Omens on Prime). I would have like the Roadhouse spinoff, a place where Hunters gathered. I would have loved Wayward Sisters, although it should have focused on Donna and Jody. I'm not sure there's much else. Most of the characters I loved are dead (Bobby, Crowley, Rufus, Ellen, Castiel, Rowena). The only characters left are Jody and Donna and they're spinoff didn't get picked up.

While I agree Mary and John the Early Years can be problematic, it's also something i can get into. I also don't hate John or Mary (in any incarnation).

Young Rufus and Bobby is the spin off we deserved. Even one about the MOL. It's also sad how a female lead spin off was put to rest, but the one nobody asked for may make it to television screens next year. *Pilots can be ordered then cancelled * The spin off is going to be full of retcons no matter how people try to spend it. Everything we needed to know about Mary and John was told on SPN. We also know John didn't start hunting until Mary was killed. He also didn't know his father was a MOL. He was basically a regular man before EY killed Mary. 

• Love 1

I think all three of those - Rufus/Bobby, MoL, and this one - would basically bring the same thing, which is MotW hunts in a different time period. I expect this to be Mary's hunting life in the early 70s, balanced with the disruptive effect of John's entry into her life. 

But generally, I'd expect this to be MotW-focused, just like I'd expect with a young!Rufus/Bobby spinoff or a MoL series. So I don't really think any of them would be measurably different in terms of what they'd bring to the table. 

Edited by Aithne
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

The CW can't do much more at this point. They haven't even gone on their usual mass renewal spree this year since the uncertainty of the sale looms over them. Likely the respective studios also look at what could potentially go on their content-starved streamers.

• Useful 1

Does anyone actually watch network TV anymore?  I can’t handle all the commercials, especially US stations and their constant ads for medicine. And the silly restrictions around language, etc. Network TV is dying surely.  The Winchesters could really fly on a streaming platform. It’s a good concept.

7 minutes ago, Pondlass1 said:

Does anyone actually watch network TV anymore?  I can’t handle all the commercials, especially US stations and their constant ads for medicine. And the silly restrictions around language, etc. Network TV is dying surely.  The Winchesters could really fly on a streaming platform. It’s a good concept.

Network TV certainly lost a lot of viewers in the last few years, though older demos are still kinda faithful to it.

On the other hand the most watched streamed show on Netflix 2021 was Criminal Minds, no streaming original but an older network show. 

1 hour ago, Pondlass1 said:

Watching the Olympics right now but other than sporting events the only time I watched network TV was for Supernatural. Can't afford all the streaming services so if it goes to HBOMax I'm out.

I used to watch so many shows on regular TV that I had trouble keeping up with them on the DVR. I watch nothing live except sports and even then, I start late so that I can FF through all the obnoxious commercials. Now, I only watch a few shows, losing more each season. I have a huge cable bill and share costs with family on Netflix, HBO Max, Amazon Prime and Paramount +. I'm thinking of going just basic on the TV to drop maybe $20-$30 a month. Yes, regular TV drama is getting less and less. I don't watch comedies or reality shows.

On 2/7/2022 at 11:17 AM, Casseiopeia said:

Can't afford all the streaming services so if it goes to HBOMax I'm out.

I gave up cable and only try to watch a few shows NCIS LA, flash and Legends of tomorrow. I have disney for now but will be dropping it soon.  I had apple tv for trail but didn't see much to try so it's gone.  For now, I'll keep Netflix and prime, but they really need to get real about people being able to afford streaming services.

I do have a large DVD collection so in time I'll be doing that.  I find myself enjoying older shows more than the new ones that preach at us.   Not a sports fan, so it turns out giving up cable not a big deal.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Casseiopeia said:

Wow! I hope this isn't really the story they are going with. It sounds really awful...

I actually think it has potential. I wondered what they came up with and this sounds more meaty than I envisioned.

I don't mind the retcons at all. After Badd's years where he basically trampled all over canon, noone can seriously bat an eye anymore at it. Not to mention how easy it is to angel-wipe their memories again at the end.

• Love 5

I don’t like the premise for the prequel, I particularly didn’t like Mary and so have no interest in her, however what I have read does seem like an interesting watch if I can separate it from my love for Supernatural!!!  I am a massive Jensen fan and I really like Danneel, she comes across as a really fun and spunky person, but Jensen said at a recent con that she had only watched a handful of episodes and Jared qualified that with Jensen agreeing that she had also watched particular scenes that Jensen had asked her to.  So I cannot see how Danneel can have much input in the storyline possibly only as an EP I would think.   I am probably totally wrong but it would not surprise me if this idea was in fact Danneel’s and she has not understood that the majority of fans (IMO only) do not like and are not interested in Mary and John, they watched for Sam and Dean and of course the Misha fans who came in later.  I (unlike many here!) really like Jared but Walker is not the sort of programme I watch and as I am in the UK would involve downloading etc I have not watched any.  I might have watched a few episodes if it had been on UK tv but I don’t have any real interest in trying to get to watch.  I was and am a huge fan of The Boys (on my second rewatch currently) long before Jensen was announced as being Soldier Boy so I am desperately waiting for Season 3.  I will try and see what the prequel is like but quite honestly unless it manages to just be a good monster/supernatural programme in its own right, I don’t think I will be going out of my way to see it and I am sad that I think I am not likely to be supporting Jensen in this endeavour.

4 hours ago, Aeryn13 said:

I actually think it has potential. I wondered what they came up with and this sounds more meaty than I envisioned.

I don't mind the retcons at all. After Badd's years where he basically trampled all over canon, noone can seriously bat an eye anymore at it. Not to mention how easy it is to angel-wipe their memories again at the end.

As big a fan as I am of Robbie this premise has girl-power written all over it.  It really falls in line with his comic books.  IDK it just sounds like a miss to me.

47 minutes ago, Casseiopeia said:

As big a fan as I am of Robbie this premise has girl-power written all over it.  It really falls in line with his comic books.  IDK it just sounds like a miss to me.

To me still better than the Badd era and his atrocious comics shining through. He got to ruin the entire mothership, this is just a prequel so even if I didn’t care for it, I could ignore it easier. And if I like it? Win-win because I had some SPN-content to watch as I cannot bring myself to watch any SPN ep after that ending. It's like Game of Thrones-level-scorched-Earth.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Icarus said:

unless it manages to just be a good monster/supernatural programme in its own right, I don’t think I will be going out of my way to see it and I am sad that I think I am not likely to be supporting Jensen in this endeavour.

I don't know, I don't see any evidence proving that it will not manage to be a good monster/supernatural program in its own right, so it seems premature to be feeling any sadness, or to have decided already that it is going to be "awful" and that it is unwatchable.

At this point, we don't know enough about it to know if the show will be awful, or wonderful, or somewhere in between. It depends on how they develop the ideas behind it, how well the episodes are written, how good a job they do developing the characters, how successful they are at finding the right actors, and lots of other things.

The fact is, that if I had known as much about Supernatural as I now know about The Winchesters at this point, but still had not seen the first episode, I still would not have known any of the things that made me love it so much.

I wouldn't have known about "I can't do this alone---Yes you can---Yeah, well, I don't want to" or "House rules, Sammy. Driver picks the music, shotgun shuts his cakehole" or "I think he wants us to pick up where he left off. You know, saving people, hunting things. The family business" or "But see, my mom—I know she wanted me to be brave. I think about that every day. And I do my best to be brave". And I wouldn't have known about what Jensen was going to make of the role of Dean Winchester.

Not that I am expecting another character like Dean Winchester. What Jensen did with that character when he brought him to life was almost certainly a once-in-a-lifetime thing. I was going to compare it to an event like lightning striking, but it was more like the impact of an asteroid hitting the earth, lol! Not going to be repeated. The Winchesters is tied to Supernatural, but it isn't and can't be the same show. I am going to try not to hold that against it!

Like I said, this new show might be really awful, or really great, or -- more probably -- somewhere in between. Personally I am going to wait until I've seen it, and hopefully watched a few episodes, before passing judgment.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Icarus said:

but Jensen said at a recent con that she had only watched a handful of episodes and Jared qualified that with Jensen agreeing that she had also watched particular scenes that Jensen had asked her to.  So I cannot see how Danneel can have much input in the storyline possibly only as an EP I would think. 

EP's do more than just plot out story.  Maybe Danneel's responsibilities will be more behind the scenes.  Jensen knows the show so well even if he hasn't seen all the eps, and Robbie has said he's seen every ep more than once, so I think there is a good foundation for the story.  Much better than Dabb's new writers who bragged about seeing a whole 25 episodes. 

TBH, I was kind of indifferent when I first heard the idea.  I always thought John was a fascinating character but Dabb did such a number on Mary (and not for the better) that he completely turned me off the character.

But I remind myself Mary isn't the Mary of main show or even Dabb's Mary. 

I think the new characters and the direction as a lot of potential and I'm getting excited about it and really hope its picked up so we can see it.

I think about Jensen's answer when asked if he could bring back Bobby or John.  Jensen said that as Dean he would probably say John because Dean loved his father but that wouldn't be the right choice because Bobby was there for them more.  It was a very indepth and well thought out answer, given in the space of a couple of minutes.  It really showed how well Jensen understood Dean and how that wasn't really just a simple choice.  So I think he is well aware of the characters strengths and weaknesses of John and Mary and I think we will see that. 

2 hours ago, Casseiopeia said:

I liked Robbie, but he did have some misses, but I can see Mary being the dominate character mostly because John didn't know a whole lot, so she has the more interesting background.  The new characters sound interesting as well. 

Plus this is just character descriptions.  what sounds good/bad on paper can be the total opposite on screen.  Actors can make their characters so much more than they were meant to be.  (see Dean Winchester). 

I remember way back when, we actually got sides for different scenes and characters.  And when I read about Bella and Ruby, I thought i would end up liking Bella and hating Ruby.  It was the opposite.  I ended up up hating Bella and liking (orginial Ruby).  Sometimes what is written in a casting side, isn't necessarily a scene from the ep.  Sometimes its just a scene written for auditions.    So, I think its premature to call it awful, especially since we don't know how its plays on screen and how much of that infomation is accurate.  Its a leak, not info people with the production have released.

1 hour ago, Bergamot said:

It depends on how they develop the ideas behind it, how well the episodes are written, how good a job they do developing the characters, how successful they are at finding the right actors, and lots of other things.

I have a lot of faith in Jensen, and The Winchesters now how an IMDB, and it seems their casting agents have casted some pretty big shows like The Boys, 911 and The Rookie. 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14923244/fullcredits/?ref_=tt_ql_cl

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Bergamot said:

Personally I am going to wait until I've seen it, and hopefully watched a few episodes, before passing judgment.

I'm definitely watching it. I will give a season to see where it goes. It really depends on the cast, the writing and Robbies vision for this story. Will it be Supernatural?  No of course not. But I do expect it to be well written, directed and produced. Hopefully the actors chosen will do a good job and also will have watched the Mothership.

Edited by Casseiopeia

One thing I wouldn’t have minded would be going with Gumenick and Cohen for the roles as I liked them both. However since they are going for 19year olds now and a lot of time has passed already since they played the young versions, it is no longer feasible. And at this point a new cast will give the project more of its own identity.

At best it should work as its own thing without having seen SPN. I know the point of spin-offs is to build on an existing base but IMO the more successful ones I can think of became their own thing.

3 minutes ago, Casseiopeia said:

I'm definitely watching it. I will give a season to see where it goes. It really depends on the cast, the writing and Robbies vision for this story. Will it be Supernatural?  No of course not. But I do expect it to be well written, directed and produced. Hopefully the actors chosen will do a good job and also will have watched the Mothership.

That's tricky because I wouldn't want Mary to resemble in any way  shape or form the resurrected Mary of horrors.

9 minutes ago, Aeryn13 said:

That's tricky because I wouldn't want Mary to resemble in any way  shape or form the resurrected Mary of horrors.

Maybe being stuck in stasis/Memorex heaven for nearly 40 years damaged her brain.  After all, spending all that time reliving her "greatest hits" (which seemed to only revolve around her last year of life) would certainly warp her view of the grown-up boys and make her want to go back to her younger, glory days when she had her own identity..  

I haven't seen the article you've all been quoting, because my malware program has it blocked.  Can someone give me the 10-cent version? 

15 hours ago, 7kstar said:

Wow, a really recon of John.  If it's only on HBO max, I could easily pass on it,

I don't think it's a big retcon for Young John.  IIRC, that description matches the John from In The Beginning and even Song Remains the Same. Mary told Dean in In the Beginning, that John, even after the Vietnam War, was still filled with hope.

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, ahrtee said:

Maybe being stuck in stasis/Memorex heaven for nearly 40 years damaged her brain.  After all, spending all that time reliving her "greatest hits" (which seemed to only revolve around her last year of life) would certainly warp her view of the grown-up boys and make her want to go back to her younger, glory days when she had her own identity..  

I haven't seen the article you've all been quoting, because my malware program has it blocked.  Can someone give me the 10-cent version? 

This is part of it. Mostly the basic premise....

"All over the world, incredible and brave individuals known as Hunter fight an unseen battle against darkness in order to protect humanity. In 1972, we meet a ragtag group of new and experienced Hunters that discover a deadly threat that their predecessors have been trying to prevent for years. Mary Campbell was raised to fight by her parents, and John Winchester, kept in the dark his whole life, team up to save the world while discovering their true legacy in the process."

It really sounds like John (at 19) somehow discovers he is a MOL's legacy?

1 minute ago, catrox14 said:

I don't think it's a big retcon for Young John.  IIRC, that description matches the John from In The Beginning and even Song Remains the Same. Mary told Dean in In the Beginning, that John, even after the Vietnam War, was still filled with hope.

I think the part some of us are getting stuck on is that John discovers who he really is (MOL's?) and joins the Hunter group to save the world.

• Love 2

I guess even if someone discovers the MOL per se, depending on the info you can still get the wrong (or right) picture od them.

I remember this one episode where Dorothy? the hunter from Oz was in the bunker and kept needling the brothers about being pencil-pushers etc. And there they stood in all their plaid-ed glory, looking exactly like hunters and she appeared dumber by the second for not getting it.  

• Love 5
14 minutes ago, ahrtee said:

Thanks for the summary, @Casseiopeia.  The only thing that worries me is how fast RT turned Charlie into a Mary Sue.  I'm all for girlpower, but not so heavy-handed.

The Hunter group is kind of full of uber-female characters.  And since it has been established in the Dabb years that Mary was the best Hunter who ever Hunted it seems to be right in Robbie's wheelhouse. 

Also the series starts off with Dad's missing and hasn't been home in a few days. Samuel Campbell goes missing.