Type keyword(s) to search

The Winchesters Anticipation

• Start Topic

23 hours ago, Aithne said:

Sort of! It basically is Dean between 5.19 and 5.20 - he and Sam are researching the truth of their parents and he's writing all of this down to set the record straight. He mentions that a journal was kept for every hunt, and they've been gathering every one they could find to piece together the story (or something to that effect). 

My possibly totally wrong take on this is that perhaps, in the aftermath of Chuck, they're realizing that what they were told by the Cupid / "saw" in the past / etc. might not have been 100% accurate - maybe this was manipulated by Chuck to better tell his story. These journals may provide proof that the truth of what happened was somehow different. 

Thanks, I'm very curious about the framing narration. There's a story there somewhere with how Dean and Sam found out what they were told was wrong and how they found the journals from that time. I hate mindwipes particularly if there is physical evidence of the truth (which raises horrible ramifications for Lisa and Ben). If it is set between 5.19 and 5.20 it does raise some interesting possibilities. 

3 hours ago, ILoveReading said:

I like them already.

So this is Latika and Carlos? Ooo, Carlos is gorgeous! If I remember correctly, the script has Carlos singing at one point, and this actor can really sing -- I found a couple clips of him on YouTube.

I am interested to see what they do with the characters.

• Love 1

It's weird to me to have faces so different from Amy's and Matt's, but at the same time, Dylan Everett taught me not to worry about a physical match so much as acting chops. So I'm ready to see what these two can do! 

• Love 3
35 minutes ago, ahrtee said:

One more official article, with a picture of the new John:  

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/the-winchesters-supernatural-meg-donnelly-drake-rodger-1235210689/ 

Sounds like John discovers the MoL.  

I read that John discovers the MOL through Millie. Apparently she knew about it which wouldn't exactly mean she knew what it was just that Henry had a Men's Club he attended once in awhile.

• Love 1
54 minutes ago, Casseiopeia said:

Magic Pearl? It's already established canon. It wipes John's mind, resets time and it was all a dream as far as he knows.

spn-1414-john-winchester-just-had-one-he

There are so many ways to explain anything that happens, thanks to a) angel mind wipes and b) the complete fuckery of canon that is the Badd years.

• Love 6

Maybe I don’t pay proper attention, but I was always under the impression John knew nothing of demons or hunters, etc., until Mary died and he became an obsessed bastard dragging two kids about the country.

Only looking forward to Jensen’s commentary I’m afraid.  Would be lovely if this were streamed. I’ve quit cable.

32 minutes ago, Pondlass1 said:

Maybe I don’t pay proper attention, but I was always under the impression John knew nothing of demons or hunters, etc., until Mary died and he became an obsessed bastard dragging two kids about the country.

Only looking forward to Jensen’s commentary I’m afraid.  Would be lovely if this were streamed. I’ve quit cable.

That was the story. With Chuck meddling in the Winchester story so heavily, I think it's probably gonna be the case that John did know as a young man and his memories (or the entire reality) were tampered with to facilitate the story Chuck wanted to tell. 

Edited by Aithne
  • Love 3

Considering how many times all the Winchesters (and the whole world!) have been either mind-wiped or reset, I keep thinking of the Men in Black scene when Will Smith asks about how many times you can use that flashy-thingy and doesn't it cause brain damage? 

ETA:  That may explain seasons 12-15.  Maybe it was all a hallucination and Sam and Dean are really in a locked ward somewhere, writing the story on the walls..... 😀

Edited by ahrtee
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4

Since Badd & Co. established that anything can be 'new canon', and 'Chuck' changed anything and everything he wanted on a whim, anyone getting bent over the possibility that John knew about the Supernatural can take several seats.

But even before that there were mind wipes (the time travel eps) and potential realities (The End), and in Dark Side of the Moon, Ash mentioned that Dean and Sam had been in Heaven (presumably had died?) on other occasions, but they had no memory of it, nor did we see it. It doesn't take much imagination to come up with decent scenarios that work for this premise, and Robbie Thompson is a talented writer, so I expect he's got something better than good in mind.

Edited by gonzosgirrl
new and knew are not the same thing
  • Love 6
15 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Since Badd & Co. established that anything can be 'new canon', and 'Chuck' changed anything and everything he wanted on a whim, anyone getting bent over the possibility that John knew about the Supernatural can take several seats.

But even before that there were mind wipes (the time travel eps) and potential realities (The End), and in Dark Side of the Moon, Ash mentioned that Dean and Sam had been in Heaven (presumably had died?) on other occasions, but they had no memory of it, nor did we see it. It doesn't take much imagination to come up with decent scenarios that work for this premise, and Robbie Thompson is a talented writer, so I expect he's got something better than good in mind.

The last 4 years were pure torture to watch. I'm going to guess that Robbie is well aware of that fact and will do everything in his power to write a story that most fans will love (as opposed to 30%). It's fun to speculate on just how he is going to make that happen given the story he is going to go with. 

I have faith that what Jensen said is the truth. "The canon and lore were the fun part". I'm pretty sure Robbie has a lot more up his sleeve than "writers lie".

Edited by Casseiopeia
  • Love 6
6 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Above all else, I trust Jensen with the Supernatural legacy, such as it is. Whatever else people may think, he clearly loves the show and always has.

As does Thompson. He's the only writer in the entire group that watched every episode of the show - I believe even before he wrote his first episode in S7. Sometimes I wonder what would have happened to the Supernatural storyline if Waywards was picked up and both Berens and Badd left the show and someone had the sense to put Robbie in charge. I have a feeling it would have been a show I loved until the end. 🤨

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, FlickChick said:

As does Thompson. He's the only writer in the entire group that watched every episode of the show - I believe even before he wrote his first episode in S7. Sometimes I wonder what would have happened to the Supernatural storyline if Waywards was picked up and both Berens and Badd left the show and someone had the sense to put Robbie in charge. I have a feeling it would have been a show I loved until the end. 🤨

And since we barely saw Jody, Donna, Claire or Alex on SPN after season 12 it wouldn't have affected too much on the original show.

• Love 5

Bianca looks like she'll make a great Millie Winchester, a character I'm very interested in after reading some things about her.  And it's nice that they are hanging out in New Orleans prior to filming, getting prepared and getting to know each other.  I think that'll help in the performances.

Also someone noticed that in an episode in (ETA: in Meta Fiction in season 9), they call up a hunter called Carlos....it was a Robbie Thompson episode too.  Sam is hanging up and says something like "Thanks, Carlos".  Wouldn't it be something if now it turns out to be the same Carlos?

I feel like we are going to get some really clever storytelling in this show.  The naysayers will probably never admit it Robbie, Jensen, etc I think are going to create a really smart show.

Edited by tessathereaper
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, tessathereaper said:

Bianca looks like she'll make a great Millie Winchester, a character I'm very interested in after reading some things about her.  And it's nice that they are hanging out in New Orleans prior to filming, getting prepared and getting to know each other.  I think that'll help in the performances.

Also someone noticed that in an episode in (ETA: in Meta Fiction in season 9), they call up a hunter called Carlos....it was a Robbie Thompson episode too.  Sam is hanging up and says something like "Thanks, Carlos".  Wouldn't it be something if now it turns out to be the same Carlos?

I feel like we are going to get some really clever storytelling in this show.  The naysayers will probably never admit it Robbie, Jensen, etc I think are going to create a really smart show.

Oh funny. I didn't read the article I just assumed it was Deanna.  I wonder how she figures in?

• Love 1
8 hours ago, ILoveReading said:

She's very pretty.

I'm glad to see the diversity among the casting so far. As much as I love OG SPN they didn't really excel at that. Other than Rufus and Henriksen POC beyond an episode or two were pretty rare.

8 hours ago, DeeDee79 said:

I'm glad to see the diversity among the casting so far. As much as I love OG SPN they didn't really excel at that. Other than Rufus and Henriksen POC beyond an episode or two were pretty rare.

Gordon Walker was a great character too.

There was also Missouri Mosely.  Granted, she wasn't in that many episodes, but IIRC, originally, she was supposed to be Bobby.  (You know what I mean! 😊)  

OTOH, I didn't like her interactions with the boys as much as I did Bobby's, so maybe she wouldn't have been such an important part of the story as Bobby ended up.  It would have been interesting to see if they had developed her character over the years like they did with Bobby.  But that's a topic for a different thread.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, ahrtee said:

There was also Missouri Mosely.  Granted, she wasn't in that many episodes, but IIRC, originally, she was supposed to be Bobby.  (You know what I mean! 😊)  

OTOH, I didn't like her interactions with the boys as much as I did Bobby's, so maybe she wouldn't have been such an important part of the story as Bobby ended up.  It would have been interesting to see if they had developed her character over the years like they did with Bobby.  But that's a topic for a different thread.

Cassie was only in one episode  but she was a good character. About the only thing good about that episode.

55 minutes ago, TheView said:

I honestly don't know whether this show will actually go to series or not. 

If I were a betting person, I'd bet the ranch that it does-especially with the creative team behind it; and also taking into consideration everything else that's gone to series and even been renewed on the CW.

• Love 2
On 4/2/2022 at 2:11 PM, Casseiopeia said:

Cassie was only in one episode  but she was a good character. About the only thing good about that episode.

I would've loved that episode to have had flashbacks. We never got any of the days between the Stanford fight and the Pilot - would've loved to see Dean and Cassie's romance. 

• Love 4
20 hours ago, Myrelle said:

If I were a betting person, I'd bet the ranch that it does-especially with the creative team behind it; and also taking into consideration everything else that's gone to series and even been renewed on the CW.

I just don't think the John and Mary story is strong enough to sustain a whole series 

9 minutes ago, TheView said:

I just don't think the John and Mary story is strong enough to sustain a whole series 

I think this is part of an anthology series. John and Mary is just one season.....I think.

4 minutes ago, Casseiopeia said:

I think this is part of an anthology series. John and Mary is just one season.....I think.

It's only about John and Mary. If it were an anthology it would've been stated in the logline for the show. 

Edited by TheView
1 hour ago, TheView said:

With good writers on board (which is seems like they have) it should be fine. From what I've read so far it seems interesting enough to make it but to each their own.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, DeeDee79 said:

With good writers on board (which is seems like they have) it should be fine. From what I've read so far it seems interesting enough to make it but to each their own.

Yeah, I think the creative team is head and shoulders above a lot of the other series on the CW and the younger versions of John and Mary, as played by Amy Gumenick and Matt Cohen were very popular within the fandom so the casting of those characters will be key; and from what we've heard of them so far, the supporting cast sounds very intriguing too. I'm especially interested in meeting John's mother.

And I further think that there's great interest within the still thriving SPN fandom in keeping the SPN universe alive and well.

And let's not forget who will be narrating. 😉

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, Myrelle said:

Yeah, I think the creative team is head and shoulders above a lot of the other series on the CW and the younger versions of John and Mary, as played by Amy Gumenick and Matt Cohen were very popular within the fandom so the casting of those characters will be key; and from what we've heard of them so far, the supporting cast sounds very intriguing too. I'm especially interested in meeting John's mother.

And I further think that there's great interest within the still thriving SPN fandom in keeping the SPN universe alive and well.

And let's not forget who will be narrating. 😉

Yes, all good reasons to think that it will be picked up. I'm with you in being interested in John's mother. When they went into the MOL storyline on OG SPN I always wondered why she wasn't in any of the flashbacks with Henry or even mentioned in season 4 when Dean met his mother and father before they were married.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, TheView said:

It's only about John and Mary. If it were an anthology it would've been stated in the logline for the show. 

I remember reading that early on. I can't recall where.  If it were a series (and I mean more than one season) how much could they tell about the 2 years of John and Mary before the events of 1973? 

Edited by Casseiopeia
17 minutes ago, Casseiopeia said:

I remember reading that early on. I can't recall where.  If it were a series (and I mean more than one season) how much could they tell about the 2 years of John and Mary before the events of 1973? 

Well if they took it day by day there's a potential for over 750 episodes; or even week by week a potential for over 100-that alone is five seasons.

3 minutes ago, Myrelle said:

Well if they took it day by day there's a potential for over 750 episodes; or even week by week a potential for over 100-that alone is five seasons.

Maybe. I just don't know how you make 5 seasons dealing with a few years about a story we already know what happens in the end.'

If it was just a question of the show itself, I think it would be readily picked up by the CW. They would have loved to somehow keep both actors of SPN tied to them. Two years ago or even one year ago, they would have. 

And just because the earliest concept idea of "John and Mary prequel" sounded lackluster, since then stuff has come out that makes it seem like it could be really neat. We're way beyond the early logline. 

But now the CW itself is in unsure waters but Warner Bros also just went to a major upheaval. The network now will be very very careful with both renewals and series commitments. They already have shown it.

I wish the project the best of luck and would certainly give it a go but if it doesn't come to fruition, I wouldn't consider it a statement against the show either. 

• Useful 1
On 4/9/2022 at 8:09 PM, TheView said:

I honestly don't know whether this show will actually go to series or not. 

I'd say it has a good chance.  Everything that has come out about it is creative and interesting.  The cast is just wonderful and they definitely seem to be bonding, they are always hanging out together. :)   I think this show has the potential to blow people's socks off with imaginative storytelling.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Casseiopeia said:

Maybe. I just don't know how you make 5 seasons dealing with a few years about a story we already know what happens in the end.'

If the characters are engaging enough the fans will never tire of the stories being told. 

IMO, if the mothership taught us anything, it was that.

12 minutes ago, Myrelle said:

If the characters are engaging enough the fans will never tire of the stories being told. 

IMO, if the mothership taught us anything, it was that.

At least in the mothership every episode was a new story that we didn't know the outcome of. We didn't know how it was going to end because we hadn't already seen how it ends.

Well, for some the journey is more important than any ending, known or unknown. 

I think it was Ursula LeGuin who said that "It is good to have an end to journey towards, but it is the journey that matters in the end."

And I'd guess that if the thought of already knowing how it ends puts someone off that much, they likely won't watch to begin with.

Aeryn's post was also enlightening to me, so big thanks for that, Aeryn. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Myrelle said:

Well, for some the journey is more important than any ending, known or unknown. 

I think it was Ursula LeGuin who said that "It is good to have an end to journey towards, but it is the journey that matters in the end."

And I'd guess that if the thought of already knowing how it ends puts someone off that much, they likely won't watch to begin with.

Aeryn's post was also enlightening to me, so big thanks for that, Aeryn. 

Up until the prequel was announced John and Mary were two of the most despised characters in the series. Besides that the series is supposed to deal with a very short period of time in John and Mary's life that we all know about. It does seem like Robbie is going to try to reinvent the characters into more likeable people but I can't see how they are going to make a long term series about a guy who turns into an abusive ass who dumped his issues on one son and a mom who betrayed the other son and who continued to betray and abandon them when she was resurrected.

I would have been a lot more excited if they had chosen a different story.  I'm still going to watch it and if it does go to series I'm also sure it will be a huge success.

Up until the prequel was announced John and Mary were two of the most despised characters in the series

But young John and Mary were not.   Its like watching The Star Wars prequels and seeing Anakin Skywalker be the complete opposite of Darth Vader.  They are different characters.

As for knowing the ending, how many people re-read favorite novels or rewatch TV shows.  The ending in known in those scenarios.  There was a show on awhile ago called  Motive.  In the first five minutes of the show it identified the killer and the victim and the show was more about how the events unfolded then the rather than a straight who done it.  It was a different spin on a crime drama and it was very good. 

Adaptations of novels, remakes, reboots, graphic novels are all very popular.  They might might some changes, but we still know mostly how its probably going to end.  If I go see a movie called Spiderman, I might not know all the specifics but I'm pretty sure its going to end up with Spiderman being he hero, not hard to guess that ending..  Not to mention how predictable SPN became in the final few seasons.  

IMO, the journey can be just as exciting if done right. 

There is a lot of material to expand on. We only know a few key points in John and Mary's life.   Lots of blanks to fill in. 

I can't see how they are going to make a long term series about a guy who turns into an abusive ass who dumped his issues on one son and a mom who betrayed the other son and who continued to betray and abandon them when she was resurrected.

I can't count how many times I've seen the audience saying a great idea for a prequel would be John after Mary's death. So it seems that really isn't an issue since people having been asking to actually see that John's story since the show started back in 2005.  

• Love 4
21 minutes ago, ILoveReading said:

As for knowing the ending, how many people re-read favorite novels or rewatch TV shows. 

Probably most of the fans that watched from early on in the show rewatched Supenatural more times than they care to admit. Personally I've lost count. The difference being that in novels and movie/tv shows the ending never changes. We know how it's going to end that's why it's kind of comfort reading/viewing.

21 minutes ago, ILoveReading said:

I can't count how many times I've seen the audience saying a great idea for a prequel would be John after Mary's death.

You can count me as one of those in the audience. I would have loved a series about John. The 22 years after Mary's death was only told in small bits and pieces. What we never knew about John was how he dealt with Mary's death while caring for two young sons and becoming the obsessed, driven, abusive "bastard" that Dean and Sam grew up with. Kind of like John's early years hunting and learning from Pastor Jim and Caleb.  Stuff we don't know.

That is a big difference than completely rewriting what was already known.

Edited by Casseiopeia