Type keyword(s) to search

The Winchesters Anticipation

• Start Topic

9 minutes ago, tessathereaper said:

There is another very positive review here, also pretty light on spoilers but there are a few(but I think nothing not hinted at in the trailers):

https://tvpulsemag.com/mustread/reviewsandrecaps/the-winchesters-pilot-review-when-john-met-mary/

I'm am SO happy for everyone, for the new gang, for Robbie, esp for Jensen being his first venture into producing.  

Do we have a list of other writers? 

Read a bunch of these articles of #thewinchesters. They are all non-spoiler but there was one that gave some info that could be considered spoilery so...

Spoiler

It looks like they aren't going to address anything with Dean or explain any of the canon conflicts with the mothership. It looks like they are going to ignore it entirely. That's a huge gamble that could massively backfire. The show has been dragged for months over the canon conflicts and this will add a lot of gasoline to that fire. I'm guessing they are casting as large a net as possible to get new viewers but going after a new audience is what killed the old show.  

On the bright side, everyone says the story is great, the cast has wonderful chemistry, and the show feels like the early years of Supernatural. Reaction has been a little divided on Carlos though, some are saying he is the breakout character and others are saying he is a flamboyant stereotype. It will be interesting to see if they can attract a wider audience (particularly the group Nexstar wants) but it could help create some really great episodes.

• Love 1

@Lastcall They're not going to ignore. Apparently, they are not giving us the whole detailed information right in the Pilot. I find it understandable.

In the article @tessathereaper pointed above is said:

Spoiler

Dean tells us that what we think we know about John and Mary isn’t the real truth. “This isn’t what we were told,” he writes in his journal. “This isn’t what we were led to believe, but I’m gonna uncover the truth about Mom and Dad.”

It seems to me that either they are going with ''Chuck was lying'' thing, which is canon thanks to Dabb or there is more into it, which will be explained later.

As for Dean, tbh, I had a thought that they wouldn't explain his current location right in the Pilot.

But I don't believe that Jensen and Robbie will just ignore it. IMO This is impossible. I'm sure Jensen and Robbie know what a disaster Dabb/Singer&Co. turned SPN into, so I'm convinced they will explain everything we need at the right time. At this point we should just wait and see. 

Edited by Nick24
30 minutes ago, Nick24 said:

I'm sure Jensen and Robbie know what a disaster Dabb/Singer&Co. turned SPN into, so I'm convinced they will explain everything we need at the right time. At this point we should just wait and see. 

Also remember that Jensen has said many times, :"Give the fans what they want but not as they expect."  So if they are doing this it should be done over several eps.  Even SP only answered a few questions and added questions over the beginning.  All good shows do that. 

The real question is how engaging is each ep on its own and how much it drives you to want to see more.  If the characters are strong and pull you into the story, then I believe the show has a chance.  Until you see what they are delivering, you won't know if it will be good or not. 

In fact, I believe if the show has a mystery and doesn't give into the immediate gratification, it will pull more audience members in and the past ones that are willing to watch if it is a good story.

• Like 4
5 hours ago, Casseiopeia said:

Do we have a list of other writers? 

It looks like we don't. I can't find it.

Well, maybe Robbie decided to write most of the prequel on his own. From Robbie's SPN interviews he seemed to be very excited about his work, so who knows...

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Nick24 said:

@Lastcall They're not going to ignore. Apparently, they are not giving us the whole detailed information right in the Pilot. I find it understandable.

In the article @tessathereaper pointed above is said:

Reveal spoiler

It seems to me that either they are going with ''Chuck was lying'' thing, which is canon thanks to Dabb or there is more into it, which will be explained later.

As for Dean, tbh, I had a thought that they wouldn't explain his current location right in the Pilot.

But I don't believe that Jensen and Robbie will just ignore it. IMO This is impossible. I'm sure Jensen and Robbie know what a disaster Dabb/Singer&Co. turned SPN into, so I'm convinced they will explain everything we need at the right time. At this point we should just wait and see. 

My fear is that if they don’t explain or at least imply how this show is canon to the mothership that viewers are going to tune out after the pilot. If they leave Dean ambiguous or his whole narration takes place over a weekend between 5:19 and 20 they can get away with that. The conflicts with the time travel eps are a whole different matter. I can see Robbie and Jensen knowing any explanation they give will upset some fans. They could be hoping by the time they reveal how the show is canon people will love the characters so much it wont matter if they hate the explanation. I think that’s risky particularly not knowing how long Nexstar is willing to give them. So my hope is that there are things in the pilot for the casual viewers to reassure them that their questions about the conflicts will be answered.

3 hours ago, Lastcall said:

My fear is that if they don’t explain or at least imply how this show is canon to the mothership that viewers are going to tune out after the pilot. If they leave Dean ambiguous or his whole narration takes place over a weekend between 5:19 and 20 they can get away with that. The conflicts with the time travel eps are a whole different matter. I can see Robbie and Jensen knowing any explanation they give will upset some fans. They could be hoping by the time they reveal how the show is canon people will love the characters so much it wont matter if they hate the explanation. I think that’s risky particularly not knowing how long Nexstar is willing to give them. So my hope is that there are things in the pilot for the casual viewers to reassure them that their questions about the conflicts will be answered.

Jensen said at one convention that they will "hit the tent poles" of canon and lore. I don't think they intend to dive too deep into the og series. If they did it would take 15 seasons to rehash every little nit picky piece of lore and canon trying to please all the fans. Just like with the original series not all fans are going to be thrilled with the prequel. Hopefully enough new(er) fans and fans that loved SPN warts and all will be happy with the story that is being told. No matter what it's going to be a huge hit.

Edited by Casseiopeia
  • Like 1
  • Love 3
22 hours ago, Lastcall said:

Read a bunch of these articles of #thewinchesters. They are all non-spoiler but there was one that gave some info that could be considered spoilery so...

Hide contents

It looks like they aren't going to address anything with Dean or explain any of the canon conflicts with the mothership. It looks like they are going to ignore it entirely. That's a huge gamble that could massively backfire. The show has been dragged for months over the canon conflicts and this will add a lot of gasoline to that fire. I'm guessing they are casting as large a net as possible to get new viewers but going after a new audience is what killed the old show.  

On the bright side, everyone says the story is great, the cast has wonderful chemistry, and the show feels like the early years of Supernatural. Reaction has been a little divided on Carlos though, some are saying he is the breakout character and others are saying he is a flamboyant stereotype. It will be interesting to see if they can attract a wider audience (particularly the group Nexstar wants) but it could help create some really great episodes.

LOL They aren't going to give away the plot of the whole show in the PILOT episode! Of course they don't give away much in the pilot.  WE'LL find out as DEAN finds out.

• Like 2
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, tessathereaper said:

LOL They aren't going to give away the plot of the whole show in the PILOT episode! Of course they don't give away much in the pilot.  WE'LL find out as DEAN finds out.

Exactly. I really get people wanting the potential explanation right away for various reasons but it was never likely to go that way. I mean, I hope they don't tease until the last second and (if lucky) end up with an "oh it's an alternate universe 'twist'" in the final 30 seconds but we shouldn't be surprised that they aren't laying all their cards on the table. 

We were discussing Fringe a while back and even Fringe didn't become "Fringe" for a while. Walternate wasn't on the table in the pilot for example. People simply compared it to Alias, JJ's other works and X-Files. Most good spin offs really only get into their mythology as the show gets going and whilst that's tricker for prequels, I think still holds true.  Of course since this show definitely doesn't have the luxury previously afforded to many CW shows, we can hope the "tight storytelling" leads to some answers this season.

I'm glad that the chemistry between the four leads is mentioned in more than one review as good/excellent/standout, although obviously it's still subjective. But to me a series lives or dies on the chem between the actors, hence why I still checked in with SPN over the years despite not watching constantly to the end. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Featherhat said:

But to me a series lives or dies on the chem between the actors, hence why I still checked in with SPN over the years despite not watching constantly to the end. 

It does really matter, but for me, good storytelling is the most important part. Generally speaking, if there is a good story, I'll be watching a show regardless of the chemistry between the actors. For me, SPN early seasons were great because of decent storytelling (until 5.05 Fallen Idols, in which that good storytelling was brutally killed) and, of course, the character of Dean and Jensen's wonderful acting. Dean/JA remained wonderful to the end, but I can't say the same about the storytelling.  

IMO This is also very important for the characters to have a strong personality on their own. If I'm interested in a character, I'll be watching regardless of the plot or interactions with the others. But if a character is determined only by her/his interactions with the others, he/she is no character. 

I was watching SPN for Dean as an individual. Jensen managed to make Dean a real person. Dean was alive and interesting to watch regardless of whether he's alone or with someone else. 

Based on the trailers I think the cast of ''The Winchesters'' is capable of bringing their characters to life. I also believe in Robbie's ability to tell a good story, so I have very high hopes for the prequel.

Edited by Nick24
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, Nick24 said:

It does really matter, but for me, good storytelling is the most important part. Generally speaking, if there is a good story, I'll be watching a show regardless of the chemistry between the actors. For me, SPN early seasons were great because of decent storytelling (until 5.05 Fallen Idols, in which that good storytelling was brutally killed) and, of course, the character of Dean and Jensen's wonderful acting. Dean/JA remained wonderful to the end, but I can't say the same about the storytelling.  

IMO This is also very important for the characters to have a strong personality on their own. If I'm interested in a character, I'll be watching regardless of the plot or interactions with the others. But if a character is determined only by her/his interactions with the others, he/she is no character. 

I was watching SPN for Dean as an individual. Jensen managed to make Dean a real person. Dean was alive and interesting to watch regardless of whether he's alone or with someone else. 

Based on the trailers I think the cast of ''The Winchesters'' is capable of bringing their characters to life. I also believe in Robbie's ability to tell a good story, so I have very high hopes for the prequel.

I think it is generally more fun if you like all or at least most of the characters in a show and their interaction in a show. So I hope the Winchesters works well in that regard.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Aeryn13 said:

I think it is generally more fun if you like all or at least most of the characters in a show and their interaction in a show. So I hope the Winchesters works well in that regard.

ITA! I'm just saying that I can live with at least one really interesting character.  Otherwise, I wouldn't have finished SPN, because all of the other characters I was interested in were killed or forgotten. And the main dynamics of the show became more like poison. 

Edited by Nick24
13 hours ago, tessathereaper said:

This! Why would they give away the whole mythos in the Pilot? Dean doesn't say he "found out" some things and is going to tell us what they are. He says he has found lies, and this show is about his mission to discover "the truth."

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Aeryn13 said:

Yeah, I can forgive a lot with regards to storytelling if the chemistry between the characters is great.  Or maybe I shouldn't say "a lot" but I'm more willing to overlook certain weaknesses.

I'm a character girl most of the time, if there is no particular character to pull me, I generally don't stick with a tv show or become a fan of a tv/movie, no matter how good the story is.(Not identify with, I don't need to "identify" with a character, in fact I'd say I rarely do identify with my favorite characters, I just like them for them).  One exception is actually probably Lord of The Rings, Aragorn was kind of my guy when I first read the books but I didn't really have any single character I latched onto, I just loved the world.  

I don't think I'll need a character in The Winchesters as long as I like the group dynamic and it sounds like they have great chemistry.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, Nick24 said:

I think we roughly agree on a lot. A strong/interesting premise and good storytelling are certainly important to be but looking back I've stuck with shows long after their premise is played out and their storytelling falters (or dives off a cliff) if I like the interaction between the characters. I'm more likely to give a show another chance early on if the actors click on screen either together or separately. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Whether the characters or the plot draws you in, the show has got make you want to know what happens next? 

Especially for new shows. There have been some shows in the last few years, where the premise and character description seem intriguing, but for whatever reason -- production,  direction,  writing, acting -- it doesn't make it to the screen.

Hope the opposite is true for The Winchesters. The descriptions haven't really been that interesting, especially for SPN fans, so maybe (hopefully) what we get on screen is better. 

3 hours ago, tessathereaper said:

Yes according to one of the reviewers it's quite common for them to receive updated pilots or unfinished pilots.  It was the TV Pulse reviewer and they really liked the first version of the pilot anyway and said the changes just made it better.

https://tvpulsemag.com/mustread/opinion/take-two-revised-winchesters-pilot-offers-new-insights/

Agree that's why they preview pilots to a select audience. A lot of new shows didn't get that opportunity for the 2020 season. They had to fix issues as the series aired. New shows this season can add scenes initially not included in the first airing to help flesh out the story/characters.

Edited by Casseiopeia
  • Like 1

So my new theory that still has holes in it is that this is pre-series Dean (there were at least 2 years that he and Sam weren't together). The amulet, license plates says early season. The only thing that doesn't really fit is middle aged Dean/clothes/hair etc. But that aside I'm thinking this is Dean when he was "working his own case in New Orleans", so not with John for a length of time. He finds a (random) journal that hints at a different story than the one John told him about how he and Mary met. John may not even realize that he has a different memory than what "really" happened.. Then the adventure of The Winchesters can go anywhere they want.

8 hours ago, tessathereaper said:

Cool, The Winchesters now has it's own forum!

Yes, I was glad to see this! The show deserves its own forum.

I like the name of this topic!  I am full of Anticipation for the Winchesters! 😊

• Love 3
19 hours ago, FlickChick said:

Only a few more days until the premiere of "The Winchesters". It debuts on Tuesday, Oct. 11 at 8PM/Eastern; 7PM/Central. I'm looking forward to seeing how Jensen is handling the prequel.

OT, but I just have to vent about time zones:  they NEVER mention Mountain Time, even in commercials on our local channels.  Cable shows tend to be Eastern -2, broadcast are usually (but not always) the same as Central, and local shows (like PBS) are local time (but never the same times they're scheduled on national channels.  I have to search them out.)  I've been in Colorado for over 30 years and I still hate having to search every time.  I think the Winchesters is on at 7 pm here, but I'll find out when when I can look at the day's local listings.

I know, I should stick with on demand, but I only have Hulu and Amazon. Would it be so hard to say "Central/Mountain" the way they do "Eastern/Pacific"? //rant off// 😕

• Sad 1

After the NYCC panel and all the small interviews, I'm excited to see where they take this story. I really, really hoping that it will be more than just hype.

• Like 1
  • Love 1