Type keyword(s) to search

"The Daily Show": Week of 8/4/14

8/4: Elisabeth Moss (actress – promoting movie “The One I Love”)
8/5: Helen Thorpe (author – promoting book “Soldier Girls: The Battles of Three Women at Home and at War”)
8/6: Wu-Tang Clan (band – promoting "A Better Tomorrow" 20th Anniversary Album)
8/7: Tracy Droz Tragos (director – promoting documentary “Rich Hill”)

Weeks of 8/11 & 8/18: DARK!

• Love 1

Again? So soon? They just had 2 weeks off at the beginning of July. Slackers!

Eh, I think it makes sense, considering the Emmys is drawing closer. I think it's kinda weird they're airing it on a Monday. I will assume that both TDS and TCR will have 2 3-day weeks in a row.

Two weeks off in the middle of August? There has to be a good reason for this. Maybe Jon can do promo work for the Toronto International Film Festival (yeah, I know, really, really, REALLLLLLLLY stretching it there).

Actually, I think it's pretty standard for them to take off in August since Congress isn't in session. The Fourth of July break coincided with Congress as well...

• Love 1

Actually, I think it's pretty standard for them to take off in August since Congress isn't in session. The Fourth of July break coincided with Congress as well...

Their breaks usually coincide at and around Labor Day and not before. There has to be a reason they're scheduling two weeks off well before Labor Day.

Their dark weeks last year were 8/19 and 8/26, so it's not too far off. In 2012 they only took off the week of 8/20, because of the political conventions, but then they took off a week in September, which presumably they won't do this year. (I'm hoping Jon's film will screen in Toronto on the weekend so he won't need to miss any days hosting TDS!)

I was expecting their dark weeks to come up soon. I would assume TDS will be back Aug. 26 because I highly doubt they'll have a show the night of the Emmys. I think their new season typically starts in September, so this is considered their end-of-season hiatus. 

I'm sure it's been said many times in many ways, but Republicans are children of the fucking corn.

So whaddya think. Was there a cable holding up the leather handle, or was Jordan holding it up all by himself.

Gohmert, you're too much of a fucking pussy to stand up to your next door neighbour's chihuahua.

• Love 2

Hoo boy, Jon was working hard to keep that Elisabeth Moss interview going. I personally hate it when I am told that a movie has "a huge twist," since I consider that a spoiler -- if I know there's a twist, I just keep waiting for it and trying to predict what it will be -- so I wish they hadn't focused on that so much. I did enjoy Jon's anecdote near the end of the interview about Donald Rumsfeld, so it wasn't a complete loss.

• Love 1

I know it's not PC, but I can't stand the knee-jerk reactions about anything to do with kids.  Somehow we should come up with $4 billion for kids who don't live here, while millions of adults and kids here are in need.  Sorry, Jon, not laughing with you on this one.

• Love 1

I can't believe the Speaker had the gall to tell Obama to do what he could on his own, when that was the grounds for suing him. I saw that on the real news yesterday and thought "that can't be what he means."

The kids are still coming, however. And the law says that they should get a hearing. There isn't enough resources (for processing, actual immigration judges, etc.) to deal with this problem, and you have extreme groups who think it's ok to shoot kids or sent them directly home. Even if you have to send them directly home, there's no enough resources to do that either. So yeah, there's other people in need, but this is an immediate problem that needs attention. It's not anyone's fault that this is the current problem at the expense of other problems. 

The point wasn't the actual money, it's that Congress is more interesting in fucking over the administration. You have a senator going to the house and telling them how to vote, or not vote. That's preposterous.

The administration proposes how much money they need to fix the problem, then congress negotiates some number that they can agree on and they pass the bill. It doesn't matter if it's 1 billion. It's not like Obama would veto that. It's that they can't even get him a bill, and then have the temerity to suggest he use executive authority to fix the problem, within days of having the house pass a resolution to sue him for doing just that. 

So for the elections, they can all finger point that it's everyone else's fault.

• Love 5

How did that Elisabeth Moss interview manage to top the weirdness of the Aubrey Plaza interview? It was adorable, and I was cringing the whole way through.

When Jordan said he didn't want Jon to get sued, Jon said "too late." Does anybody know what he was referring to? Have I missed some TDS drama?

I was wondering about that, too, marceline. I couldn't tell from Jordan's reaction if it was part of the joke or if Jon was jokingly referring to a real defamation lawsuit.

So whaddya think. Was there a cable holding up the leather handle, or was Jordan holding it up all by himself.

The handle was swaying from one side to the other but not up and down, so I think there was a cable. (Disclaimer: I watched it twice because that question was bugging me, too.)

Oh, my favorite thing about last night's show was Jon's comment at the very top: "You can call me Starlord." (obviously expecting huge response that does not come) "I'm the only guy who saw 'Guardians of the Galaxy' this weekend? [bleep]ing high brow audience. 'Wait Wait Don't Tell Me,' did you see that?" I did a spit take when he said that, because I actually attended the live taping of this weekend's WWDTM. Too bad Jon couldn't have had one of the stars of GotG on last night instead of Elisabeth Moss -- they probably would have had a lot more to discuss!

• Love 1

I know it's not PC, but I can't stand the knee-jerk reactions about anything to do with kids.  Somehow we should come up with $4 billion for kids who don't live here, while millions of adults and kids here are in need.  Sorry, Jon, not laughing with you on this one.

To be fair, 3.7 billion is less than 4 billion. Somehow, Jon let that slide, but I know that I am not the only one who caught that.

Also, Jordan went to calling the Coyotes Coyotes fairly quickly after scolding Jon for calling them that.

Is it my imagination or was Jessica high during her segment?

Judging from the sound of her voice I thought she might have a cold.  She did seem a little spacey, but I know I'm a couple bricks shy of a load when I have a cold.

It is all posturing. Not the plight of the children, the whatever percentage that would qualify for asylum. The posturing is politically driven. There is no easy solution, if there is one. Since this congress decided that their work description is only deny whatever Obama wants or go against whatever Obama says, they make this political. and the democrats are not better either because they only think about their jobs and use the same tactic to keep the debate going. 

Nobody is actually thinking about the kids, whatever is the reason that brings them here. In some of the stories I read my reaction was the deep desire to punch the parents really hard where it hurts a lot. 

And I agree with you. Thinking about the people here has no place in the actual work of governing, so why bother (sarcasm)

Edited by alexvillage

Is it my imagination or was Jessica high during her segment?

Oh good, it wasn't just me. I really did wonder about that. At the very least, it seemed like there was something going on that made it hard for her to get through the piece with a straight face. Maybe something off-stage, who knows. There was definitely something "off" about the whole thing.

• Love 1

It was a clever spin on media panic to incorporate NYC real estate.  I mean, if you're going for the Brockman "without knowing precisely what the danger is, would you say it's time for our viewers to crack each other's heads open and feast on the goo inside?" you might as well personally benefit from it, you know?

I was wondering about Jessica, too. She was so giddy and distracted; I couldn't tell if she was supposed to be acting feverish or if she was just feeling particularly playful for some reason.

Michael Che did a fantastic job in his first field piece. His deadpan worked perfectly in the interviews. I hope he does a sit-down bit with Jon someday soon, too; I always enjoy the chemistry that develops between Jon and the correspondent.

In other news, I hope this makes the MOZ sometime this week. From the LA Times:

An 87-year old man is running for sheriff in Washington state because sometimes, as he says, letters seeking change are just not enough.

Dave Olinger of Oak Harbor, located about 90 miles northwest of Seattle, is a man of his word and convictions and, oh yeah, a nudist.

“I think he watches too much of that Jon Stewart,” his wife, Kay, said of the "Daily Show" being a contributing factor to her husband becoming a write-in candidate for Island County sheriff.

Battle Hymn of the Republicans? More like Douchebag v Douchebag. As for Mitch McConnell, I think he's dead inside, as evidence by his bad sense of humor. Him and Rand Paul, who I hope they show him scurrying away from a couple of Dream  Act immigrants.

I'm sure Wu-Tang Clan means a whole lot to so many people, like Jon. But, as someone who's not that big hip-hop and rap, I really couldn't care less. Although I did enjoy whitey mcwhiteboy Jordan sticking his nose in the introductions. (I'm so white!)

• Love 3

I'm sure Wu-Tang Clan means a whole lot to so many people, like Jon. But, as someone who's not that big hip-hop and rap, I really couldn't care less. Although I did enjoy whitey mcwhiteboy Jordan sticking his nose in the introductions. (I'm so white!)

In the words of "The Offspring", Jordan was "pretty fly for a white guy"! So swag and adorbs he was there during the interview!

Only thing missing from the Wu-Tang Clan performance? Reaction shot from Mitch McConnell. And does anybody else get happy when Jon breaks out his Cecil Turtle impression for McConnell? I do . . . a-yup.

• Love 8

I'd sure as hell rather they spend that $3.7 billion on kids in desperate need (either already here or coming here) than on restocking Israel's munitions because Israel used up their current supply slaughtering innocent children in Palestine. If Israel wants to have wars, let them pay for their atrocities themselves, don't expect the US and other countries to pay for it.

• Love 5

I'm just interjecting my opinion here, but if a topic has been covered by the show, I think it is fair game for the discussion boards. There has been remarkably little discussion about Israel and Gaza on the discussion boards even on the days that the show has covered it directly and even given how persistent the smear campaign against Jon has been (and still is) in media and the blogosphere ever since that little segment on symmetry right after the break. I think most people are avoiding this topic precisely because of how volatile the issue is, but if we are able to discuss any other topic, like Ukraine or Iraq, then why not Israel and Gaza? I'm sure the mods will let us know if we step out of line and will keep us from becoming the kind of screaming match that Jon and co. parodied last week. I believe that as long as we are respectful towards our fellow posters on the board, we can express honest, even occasionally heated opinions about any topic that the show covers. That's just my 2 cents.

Here is a nice little write-up on Wu-Tang Clan's appearance last night. Jordan is so, so out of place. And how many Scully boxes did it take to lift Jon up as high as that? Hee. Some people on Twitter were joking about how awkward Jon was, but going by his history, I think it's less Jon's whiteness that makes him awkward and more the suit that he's wearing these days. The Jon of TDS and the Jon of City Gardens/MTV/standup clubs almost seem like two different people, in two different comedy modes.

Okay, so I just looked up "MTV Jon" (for science!), and I found this gallery of MTV's House of Style. I'd never before seen that cute image of Jon hanging on the rim of a basketball hoop. And may I just say, regarding an image a few clicks later, that 1990's Jon was either the hairiest sexy man or the sexiest hairy man. Rowr.

Edited by Fremde Frau
  • Love 1

I'm just interjecting my opinion here, but if a topic has been covered by the show, I think it is fair game for the discussion boards. There has been remarkably little discussion about Israel and Gaza on the discussion boards even on the days that the show has covered it directly and even given how persistent the smear campaign against Jon has been (and still is) in media and the blogosphere ever since that little segment on symmetry right after the break. I think most people are avoiding this topic precisely because of how volatile the issue is, but if we are able to discuss any other topic, like Ukraine or Iraq, then why not Israel and Gaza? I'm sure the mods will let us know if we step out of line and will keep us from becoming the kind of screaming match that Jon and co. parodied last week. I believe that as long as we are respectful towards our fellow posters on the board, we can express honest, even occasionally heated opinions about any topic that the show covers. That's just my 2 cents.

agree

• Love 1

I'm just interjecting my opinion here, but if a topic has been covered by the show, I think it is fair game for the discussion boards. There has been remarkably little discussion about Israel and Gaza on the discussion boards even on the days that the show has covered it directly and even given how persistent the smear campaign against Jon has been (and still is) in media and the blogosphere ever since that little segment on symmetry right after the break. I think most people are avoiding this topic precisely because of how volatile the issue is, but if we are able to discuss any other topic, like Ukraine or Iraq, then why not Israel and Gaza? I'm sure the mods will let us know if we step out of line and will keep us from becoming the kind of screaming match that Jon and co. parodied last week. I believe that as long as we are respectful towards our fellow posters on the board, we can express honest, even occasionally heated opinions about any topic that the show covers. That's just my 2 cents.

I don't think people here are afraid to speak their minds about the subject. I think people are just tired of the situation over there. That after all these decades of endless fighting and depressing casualty totals, both sides just can't drop what they're doing and work something out. I think both sides have legitimate claims, yet both sides act like mindless tools.

• Love 1

Jordan Klepper has just fit right in to TDS for me. Some correspondents, like Al and Michael Che, have taken a little time to find their footing but I consider Jordan to have had one of the smoothest intros I've seen in ages. I feel like he's been there for years.

• Love 2

I enjoyed the Flat Stanley mini-gaffe. I'm picturing McConnell coming up with this zinger: "OK, let me see, who takes a lot of these self pictures? Oh! Ho ho ho, this Flat Stanley guy, he's all over! Plus he's like a cartoon! This is gonna be great!"

• Love 1

I thought the McConnell/Mad Men rip was actually pretty funny, it just rambled on. That guy is just comedy gold.

Wu Tang fucking rocks. Meth's "I came up with a new word for weed and made it my name" is just perfect. New York style always rules. 

• Love 1

A very short show for me because I skipped Wu Tang Clan entirely. I feel like I've been doing a lot of that lately with Jon's interviews, it's so rare anymore that he has guests I give a crap about. At least he got to do the Mitch McConnell voice in the first segment, that's always a treat.

• Love 3

I've been ff'ing through both TDS and TCR lately, too. Often I just don't care about the guests on either show and would rather speed it up to get to @midnight.

Hilarious segment about the Virginia governor, his soon to be ex-wife, and the sleazy pill pusher. There's an HBO movie to be made here.

So what was the purpose of the end of the segment about Rand Paul? That if he's honest, he'll be the next U.S. president? 'Cuz the answer to that would be "Not in any lifetime". Especially when there was the video of Paul running away from the DreamAct immigrants.

• Love 1

Loved last night's episode. The first two segments were fluffier than I had wanted (this whole week was a lot fluffier than I had hoped for), but I ended up laughing through most of the episode last night. Maybe it was a nice release from all of the stress building up over the past month. The interview was really nice, too, and I'll be putting that documentary on my watch list.

That said, I kept getting distracted (in a good way) by Jon's stubble. Maybe his razor went on break early? If this is the look he's going for, I won't complain.

The Virginia governor segment reminded me of "Cheating Death with Dr. Stephen T. Colbert, MFA." I kept waiting for one of the pill bottles to be "Vaxa"-something. Surprised Stephen hasn't covered this scandal!

• Love 1

I'm a retired National Guardsman, myself, and still work closely with the National Guard now in a civilian status -- I would like to point out that all three of the women in the book are/were Indiana National Guardsmen.  (Men, women, whatever we call ourselves.  It's always a crap shoot to be politically correct.)  Their commanding general is MG Martin Umbarger and he is a super guy.  I'm glad their experiences were put into words for all to read.  That's super cool.

http://www.npr.org/2014/08/10/338833483/sept-11-changed-everything-following-three-women-in-the-national-guard

For just exactly who or what the National Guard is -- Wiki is reliable.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Guard_of_the_United_States

Edited by Captanne
  • Love 2

I felt like Jon let Rand Paul off easy there at the end. The piece was going well, and Rand Paul has a pattern of taking extreme positions that please one group of people and then trying to deny them to other people, and he deserves to be skewered for it. And then he seemed to let him off at the end (including the bizarre idea that any sane person could think Ron Paul was presidential material). Was there a joke there in that last part of the bit that I'm missing? 

• Love 1

"Dr. Affleck" (Alexander van Tulleken) returns Jon's mancrush.

In other news, I had no idea that the reach and reputation of TDS is such that even a medical doctor 1) considers it a potential nightmare to be mentioned on TDS and 2) volunteers his name to the list of people who "get their news" from it. This is freaking me out. Who put me under a spell for 14 years that it took me until last October to see TDS for the first time? That is some serious fail on my part.