Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: The Heat

(edited)

How the hell can Carter tell Elizabeth she should show Lori compassion because of the reasons she had for doing what she did when Carter herself doesn't even know the reason? 

Just love how dbag dad can have all this POV on how hurt he feels because Elizabeth is cheating on him and how he's struggling with his writing but we got none for Liz on how hard her life is.

Who still plays 7 minutes in heaven? We didn't even play that in middle school. And we definitely don't play it when we're drunk. Taylor's kissing lessons were cringe worthy. And I thought it couldn't get any worse until she jumped onto Gabe like a pro. And then she's in bed making out with Max.

It was obvious there was something between Bird and Crash since the first episode he appeared so not sure why they had her piss on her territory every two minutes in this episode when she didn't do it when he and Carter were having their makeout sessions. 

And it looks the next episode will bring more stupidity.

Edited by In2You
  • Love 1
(edited)

So damn tired of Carter screwing around with a drug dealer and an overall asshole. She deserves whatever bad shit will happen to her. Like how stupid do you have to be, even at 16, to think that a guy your mother arrested on fairly serious criminal charges, is a good guy to be around. Is all teenage rebellion this stupid?

Lori is still batshit crazy. I like Max.

I feel really bad for Elizabeth. Honestly, at this point, I hope Carter just leaves with her crazy ass kidnapper. Elizabeth deserves better. Saying that she was going to stop looking for Lori, the woman who took her child, is a very selfless thing for her to do. Yet Carter doesn't appreciate it.

The preview/promo pissed me off. I really feel like this season might end with a cliffhanger, and have Carter run away with Lori again, and I'm not okay with that.

Lori needs to have her psycho ass in jail. She STILL tries to act like she didn't kidnap a child and destroy a family. Disgusting. 

Just love how dbag dad can have all this POV on how hurt he feels because Elizabeth is cheating on him and how he's struggling with his writing but we got none for Liz on how hard her life is.

This scene irritated the hell out of me. He's such a loser. He and Elizabeth still should get divorced. They're not good together and it's certainly not a healthy example of a good relationship to show their children. 

Edited by grandemocha
  • Love 1

So damn tired of Carter screwing around with a drug dealer and an overall asshole. She deserves whatever bad shit will happen to her. Like how stupid do you have to be, even at 16, to think that a guy your mother arrested on fairly serious criminal charges, is a good guy to be around. Is all teenage rebellion this stupid?

The preview/promo pissed me off. I really feel like this season might end with a cliffhanger, and have Carter run away with Lori again, and I'm not okay with that.

This scene irritated the hell out of me. He's such a loser.

Why would Carter even want Crash after he had sex in the closet with Bird? I guess they are one of those groups of friends who like to all have sex with each other. 

Maybe if dbag dad would've got off his lazy ass and gotten a full time job to help pay the bills  I would have some sympathy for him. But as far as we know he sat around and is still living at the house without contributing to any bills or groceries or anything.

(edited)

Maybe if dbag dad would've got off his lazy ass and gotten a full time job to help pay the bills  I would have some sympathy for him. But as far as we know he sat around and is still living at the house without contributing to any bills or groceries or anything.

Exactly!! Like how is this grown ass man not even a little embarrassed that his wife has to ask her mother for money to bail them out of their financial difficulties? No sympathy for him. If he was any kind of responsible or helpful man, he would put aside the writing for the time being and get a job, any job that will give him a bi-weekly or monthly paycheck. His wife has a very difficult job that contributes to the household financially, but he does not. But no, he does stupid shit like buy his daughter a car that they can't afford just so she likes him more than Elizabeth. He wants to be the "cool and well-liked" dad and that is so annoying.

ETA:

Some men aren't embrassed about living off their wives/girlfriends anymore. I've met plenty of grown men like that.

Yeah, I know you're right, and of course they're out there, the shady dad just gets on my nerves.

Edited by grandemocha

I feel really bad for Elizabeth. Honestly, at this point, I hope Carter just leaves with her crazy ass kidnapper. Elizabeth deserves better. Saying that she was going to stop looking for Lori, the woman who took her child, is a very selfless thing for her to do. Yet Carter doesn't appreciate it.

Carter should not force her to sympathize with the kidnapper who put her through hell all these years.

Exactly!! Like how is this grown ass man not even a little embarrassed that his wife has to ask her mother for money to bail them out of their financial difficulties? No sympathy for him. If he was any kind of responsible or helpful man, he would put aside the writing for the time being and get a job, any job that will give him a bi-weekly or monthly paycheck. His wife has a very difficult job that contributes to the household financially, but he does not. But no, he does stupid shit like buy his daughter a car that they can't afford just so she likes him more than Elizabeth. He wants to be the "cool and well-liked" dad and that is so annoying.

Some men aren't embrassed about living off their wives/girlfriends anymore. I've met plenty of grown men like that.

One of the writers sure has a penchant for presidential names. Lyndon, Carter, Taylor, Grant, and now Reagan. I wonder when Kennedy will show up?

Yeah someone on the IMDb boards pointed out all the presidential names.

(edited)

Another poster and I brought up the presidential names in the first episode thread so when Reagan appeared I was like of course that would be her name. Why did they try and make everything about Grant and the girl sound so dirty? 

Why does it feel like two different people must be writing each half of each episode? Was this show conceived as a half hour show and they just merged all the halves into an hour?  The first half with Carter running around with Elizabeth, playing paintball and looking at life and death. And then the second half is a random drunk kissing fest? Like why? That is the longest I've ever seen a show waste on anything like that. I wanted to skip ahead.

I felt like Carter was asking for Elizabeth to sympathize with her, how it feels to have a person she loves talked about the way Elizabeth does. No Elizabeth certainly doesn't ever need to be compassionate to Lori but she could recognize she's talking about a person Carter still loves which she seemed to at the end.

I'm glad that they portray Lori as so angry, possessive and unhinged. You don't keep someone else's kid for over a decade and not come up with a zillion reasons to convince yourself why you've done the right thing and why the kid's more rightfully yours than anybody else's. That all that didn't just melt away just shows how insane Lori is. I have no problem with her being nuts.

Edited by Aliasscape
  • Love 1

I actually liked this episode more than I've liked the other four. It had a slower pace; they didn't rush past anything. I liked that Elizabeth and Carter started to bond, but only for a few minutes, and that Elizabeth acknowledged that it was going to take time. I like that we're getting more and more hints that Lori isn't the affable, laid-back person she appeared to be in the pilot -- those were some crazy eyes she was shooting at Max! I liked Max standing up for himself. I thought that Taylor's kissing lessons were kind of cute. It was nice that all of Carter's friends teased her about her inexperience at first, but in an affectionate way, and that they didn't pressure her into kissing. I like that Carter still calls Grant "Armadillo" and that she was advising him about girls. 

I didn't like Bird basically peeing on Crash's leg. I also didn't like David pouting and gleefully planning to wave his big cheque in Elizabeth's face before divorcing her. I can't tell if the writers want me to be sympathetic towards David or not (I'm not). It seemed like maybe we were supposed to feel bad for him when the movie night was interrupted by a call from the dude he knows his wife is cheating with, but he just came across as a whiny baby. Confront her about it, man; don't be passive-aggressive.

I don't like that the promo showed Carter sleeping with Crash. She's been good so far about backing off of guys she knows her sister/friend are interested in (except when completely high, but that was a one-time thing), and I always like her much better when she turns them down and stands her ground. I mean, I'm glad it's not Gabe, but Crash isn't much better.

• Love 4

I was bored this episode. The whole 7 minutes in heaven thing was just stupid. Taylor goes from never been kissed to an expert in fifteen minutes, & then she wants to kiss everyone? Why did the waste half the show on this?

• Love 1

I know that? Did my comment come out wrong somehow? Because I agree with you.

No, I was agreeing with you.

I felt like Carter was asking for Elizabeth to sympathize with her, how it feels to have a person she loves talked about the way Elizabeth does. No Elizabeth certainly doesn't ever need to be compassionate to Lori but she could recognize she's talking about a person Carter still loves which she seemed to at the end.

What makes it frustrating is that she expects everything to go her way, Elizabeth is already walking on eggshells around her and has to be careful about every little thing she does while Carter walks all over.

The only bonding they have is when Carter herself is having fun and on her terms.

Why does it feel like two different people must be writing each half of each episode? Was this show conceived as a half hour show and they just merged all the halves into an hour?  The first half with Carter running around with Elizabeth, playing paintball and looking at life and death. And then the second half is a random drunk kissing fest? Like why? That is the longest I've ever seen a show waste on anything like that. I wanted to skip ahead.

I was bored this episode. The whole 7 minutes in heaven thing was just stupid. Taylor goes from never been kissed to an expert in fifteen minutes, & then she wants to kiss everyone? Why did the waste half the show on this?

It really does, they wasted so much time on the 7 minutes in heaven bs.  The writing in general feels uneven, it's just more obvious in this episode.

Max is turning out to be the only character I might actually care about.

• Love 1
(edited)

Oh, look!  I've found a personal connection with this goofy MTV sudser:

I remembered being nervous about my first slow dance and asking, "Is this okay?"

He said, "Well, I don't think you're really supposed to be spinning us this fast."  [cringe]

According to the Taylor model, I should have come out of that dance with moves like Tina Turner.

Edited by candall
  • Love 1

Having Taylor make out with all the guys was cringe worthy at best. Nothing was cute about those scenes. And the first half of the show really doesnt match up with the second half.

I kind of liked the "7 minutes in Heaven" stuff, only because I'm 'shipping Max and Taylor so hard. I just love them together. Speaking of Max, was anyone else scared that Lori was going to crack him over the head with a lead pipe as she approached him outside of the house? She is a full-on lunatic.

• Love 4

I kind of liked the "7 minutes in Heaven" stuff, only because I'm 'shipping Max and Taylor so hard. I just love them together. Speaking of Max, was anyone else scared that Lori was going to crack him over the head with a lead pipe as she approached him outside of the house? She is a full-on lunatic.

There was no need for the 7 minutes of Heaven nonsense, Max and Taylor could still happen without going to that stupid group.

1. Max is amazing. Alex Saxon's delivery of the "here's what I'll say to your 'mother'" speech and in particular the "I'll polish it a bit" moment after was PERFECT.

2. So... let me get this straight. Carter's point is that Elizabeth should not pursue criminals because you cannot have compassion and also actually pursue fugitive felons? We should just go on ahead and let everyone get away with everything because they probably had a good reason?

3. Please tell me Elizabeth backing down from pursuit of Lori just means she backs down. The FBI is still on the hunt, right? They weren't suggesting otherwise, right?

4. Max is amazing.

5. Max is amazing.

• Love 1

3. Please tell me Elizabeth backing down from pursuit of Lori just means she backs down. The FBI is still on the hunt, right? They weren't suggesting otherwise, right?

I wouldn't be surprised if they did.

2. So... let me get this straight. Carter's point is that Elizabeth should not pursue criminals because you cannot have compassion and also actually pursue fugitive felons? We should just go on ahead and let everyone get away with everything because they probably had a good reason?

This is why teenagers shouldn't make important decisions like this. Carter just doesn't get it, she wasn't raised by a good woman and that obviously affected her. What she doesn't understand is that someone like Elizabeth has compassion for the VICTIMS that were harmed by the actions of the criminal. Justice has to occur. But Carter would rather just let them go.

• Love 2

I really feel for Alexis Denisof with the crappy writing. He has children. He must cringe every time his character has to start with the passive-aggressive "I'm the fun dad, and your mom sucks" crap.

• Love 2

There was no need for the 7 minutes of Heaven nonsense, Max and Taylor could still happen without going to that stupid group.

Exactly and if I was a shipper I would've been pissed at how that game cheapened their first kiss because that night was also her first kiss with everyone except Bird and Crash.

I was so uncomfortable watching Taylor during the make-out scenes. It seemed like she was just getting passed from one guy to the next. Her being tipsy might have made my reaction stronger, or maybe it's just my history, but that was hard to watch.

I agree. I did not like how Taylor cuts loose and then no one does anything to stop her knowing how inexperienced she is. I think the alcohol was a factor, as the first guy did voluntarily say that they could've just put the timer on and talk but she willingly caved in to the peer pressure anyway. Poor Max looked like he wanted to stop her more than once too. I hope he becomes a voice of reason for her from making anymore stupid decisions.

I didn't see it as her caving -- she seemed to want to get her first kiss over with. She also wasn't drunk; she chugged most of that glass of wine, but it definitely didn't have time to hit her before she kissed that first guy. She told Max that she was glad he wasn't her first because she would have been scared and it wouldn't have been good, and she seemed fine at the end of the night when she was saying goodbye to him.

• Love 2

I didn't see it as her caving -- she seemed to want to get her first kiss over with. She also wasn't drunk; she chugged most of that glass of wine, but it definitely didn't have time to hit her before she kissed that first guy. She told Max that she was glad he wasn't her first because she would have been scared and it wouldn't have been good, and she seemed fine at the end of the night when she was saying goodbye to him.

Saying she wasn't drunk just makes it worse. And she went from her first kiss to making out with a guy on her bed. That's a big leap. 

My sister watches this show and she actually is high school age. She said Taylor was acting like a thot in last night's episode. 

I don't think it's that big of a leap. Sex definitely would have been, but they were fully clothed when Carter walked in on them, and I have no reason to believe that they did anything besides kiss. Taylor's pretty tame compared to most TV kids.

• Love 2

Acting like a thot? Never heard that term.

Kissing isn't difficult, most people figure it out pretty quickly the first time. Taylor is pretty late to the game and realized what she was missing, plus I think she wants to prove to the cool kids that she's one of them. And maybe she enjoyed it!

"Thot" apparently stands for "that ho over there" (you learn something new every day!), and as such is not a term we'd like to see used here. We don't allow slut-shaming or misogynistic language on the forums.

(edited)

YES! I thought it was just me and the fact that Pretty Little Liars has ruined me and I think everyone is going to get bopped in the head. 

How far out are we from Carter being with the family? Her room bugs me for some reason. It's so lived in considering she's "new". Photos, memories and whatnot. I thought we were like a month or so in? 

Edited by sparklemotion
  • Love 2

"Thot" apparently stands for "that ho over there" (you learn something new every day!), and as such is not a term we'd like to see used here. We don't allow slut-shaming or misogynistic language on the forums.

This is a teen show I'm sure some variation of the term will end up on the show by the end of the season. I'm not saying Taylor is one but making out with a bunch of guys at a party isn't innocent girl behavior either and in real life will get a girl called all types of names. But I'm sure the writers on this show thought those scenes were cute. 

If that word (or similar) is used on the show, we can quote the dialogue and discuss how the word was used, as long as we all do so respectfully. There's a distinction between calling a character/actor a "slut" or "whore" (or whatever else) and in discussing those words in the context of show dialogue. If you need more clarification or have further questions, Dave can help you here!

Poor Max looked like he wanted to stop her more than once too. I hope he becomes a voice of reason for her from making anymore stupid decisions.

I hope so since this show desperately needs one.

A kissing game at a high school party by DEFINITION means you're going to kiss more than one person. Sure, they rigged the game toward Taylor but I hardly think that was wild behavior on her part. Heck, she's a late bloomer so it was probably all a bit pent-up! I have no problem with that, I thought it was cute.

• Love 1

I'm more disappointed with how much screen time it took up instead of what stupid stuff actually happened not to mention the bonding between Elizabeth and Carter was just 1 short scene of paintball and 1 scene of them being at a crime scene before the drama between them kicked in again.

I thought the kissing lessons were cute too.  It was a bit drawn out, but I just liked seeing Carter trying to be sisterly and bond/help her sister.  I'm not saying it was necessarily the most helpful thing she could do, but she did seem like she legitimately wanted to help her.  Taylor seemed fine with participating in the whole thing.   I think she wanted to get her first kiss over with so she could be more comfortable kissing Max.

• Love 2

Cop mom or no (though that does add a thick layer of WTF), I don't know any teenagers currently or recently (my oldest is 20) who had that level of coming/going/sneaking in make-out partners. None of that rings even slightly true.

As for the other credibility issues, the best speculation I have read is that the dad (HATE) arranged/planned the kidnapping with Lori in order to write a book about it; Lori went sideways and decided to keep Carter forever.

• Love 1

As for the other credibility issues, the best speculation I have read is that the dad (HATE) arranged/planned the kidnapping with Lori in order to write a book about it; Lori went sideways and decided to keep Carter forever.

That would actually be an amazing plot twist.

That would actually be an amazing plot twist.

That would be a mockery to parents who have actually had to deal with their children being kidnapped in real life. And there would be no way to ever make the dad remotely likeable after that.

That would be a mockery to parents who have actually had to deal with their children being kidnapped in real life. And there would be no way to ever make the dad remotely likeable after that.

The show has already made a mockery out of the premise so I wouldn't be surprised if any of these ridiculous theories came true, which is sad when you think about it.

• Love 1

Is the dad likable now? I can't stand him.

I'd prefer that plot twist to something like "Carter is actually Lori's kid!" If Lori and Carter were that closely linked, Elizabeth wouldn't have been so surprised that Lori was the kidnapper. She'd also remember whether or not she gave birth to two babies! That said, the show doesn't need to give us a plot twist at all. I mean, it's a soapy show on MTV, so they probably will (sigh), but this hasn't been pitched as a mystery.

Is the dad likable now? I can't stand him.

Nope, he's gotten worse imo with the whole 'cool dad' act while still going through with his shameful book profiting off their tragedy.

I'd prefer that plot twist to something like "Carter is actually Lori's kid!" If Lori and Carter were that closely linked, Elizabeth wouldn't have been so surprised that Lori was the kidnapper. She'd also remember whether or not she gave birth to two babies! That said, the show doesn't need to give us a plot twist at all. I mean, it's a soapy show on MTV, so they probably will (sigh), but this hasn't been pitched as a mystery.

I hope not, it would completely undermine the whole premise, even though they're barely focusing on that but still.

• Love 2

I thought that it was kind of icky that Carter plotted to make sure that the bottle landed on Taylor every time during spin the bottle.  I could be wrong since I watched a bunch of episodes in a row, but I think that Carter knew that Max and Taylor kind of liked each other at this point, so maybe she could have just made the bottle land on Taylor when Max was the one spinning it.

Speaking of Max, I think that it was completely sweet that he wanted to be Taylor's first kiss.  Basically, Max, Taylor, and Grant are the only kids that I can stand on this show.  The rest of the teens are just awful.  The way that they go along with Carter and actively try to help her reunite with her kidnapper is bizarre.  Outside of Max, Taylor, and Grant, none of the teens have an ounce of sense. 

• Love 2

I thought that it was kind of icky that Carter plotted to make sure that the bottle landed on Taylor every time during spin the bottle.  I could be wrong since I watched a bunch of episodes in a row, but I think that Carter knew that Max and Taylor kind of liked each other at this point, so maybe she could have just made the bottle land on Taylor when Max was the one spinning it.

Speaking of Max, I think that it was completely sweet that he wanted to be Taylor's first kiss.  Basically, Max, Taylor, and Grant are the only kids that I can stand on this show.  The rest of the teens are just awful.  The way that they go along with Carter and actively try to help her reunite with her kidnapper is bizarre.  Outside of Max, Taylor, and Grant, none of the teens have an ounce of sense. 

Exactly, they just pretty much go along with this girl they just met over her kidnapper mom and no one questions her.