Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

That sounds like such fun, Mountainair.

My second-favorite sushi bar (favorite of a friend, which is why we go there) has three of those tables, and I always sort of secretly want to go there instead of to the sushi bar. 

Tonight is brussel sprout/sweet potato/bacon hash, eggs optional.

I'm not even big into outer space and that planetarium trip sounds like a blast. Have fun, Mountainair (and family).

ebk57, I remember fondly the year that my husband commuted out of state for work and I was on my own three nights a week for dinner.  Once in a while dinner would be a pint of Ben & Jerry's (not the whole pint, it was just a pint plus spoon plus TV scenario), or pizza, or... wine.  Much as I love having the hubby around, I'm kinda envious.

I made fish tacos last night.  They came out really good, I added sautéed red pepper, which is something new.  

Tonight I'm making beef stew in a crock pot, using a recipe from a book by America's Test Kitchen.  It's a bit different.   Instead of browning the beef before putting it in the crock pot, you brown onion, garlic, and tomato paste in a sauté pan, then add flour and broth, then put it in the crock pot along with the beef.  Instead of mixing carrots and potatoes in the stew, they are cooked on top in a foil packet, then mixed in at the end of cooking time.   I've never made this before, I hope it comes out good.   (It does make a lot, I'll have a lot of extra to freeze for future meals.   While the stew cooks, I'm baking a baguette, making the kitchen nice and warm.  

• Love 1

Last night was clam pizza.  if I had to have a last meal, I think it would be clam pizza.

Tonight is roast chicken, with carrots and potatoes roasted together.  Simple, but one of my favorites. 

• Love 2

I have an ATK cookbook too ALenore. I've never had a recipe fail me yet however sometimes there are just too many steps that I don't even bother trying it. How did the stew turn out? I bet the veggies were nice and firm and not a big mess of mush!

Last night we did homemade pizzas. I bought frozen dough and my husband prepped it (me and dough do not get along), the kids helped put on the toppings. It was fun!

Tonight I made pork loin. My grandpa has a to-die-for marinade that I mixed up (cider vinegar, soy sauce, olive oil, lemon juice, ground mustard, parsley, minced garlic) and let the meat soak 18 hours in. For sides we add four cheese Alfredo and fresh salad.

• Love 1

Mountainair the stew turned out great.  The vegetable were not mushy and the meat was very tender.   I got their two slow cooker cookbooks.  The recipe I did was from the first one, which had more complicated recipes, but they have another one which has simpler recipes to do in the slow cooker.  This is actually the first recipe I've done from either of them. 

• Love 1

Last night we did homemade pizzas. I bought frozen dough and my husband prepped it (me and dough do not get along), the kids helped put on the toppings. It was fun!

Tonight I made pork loin. My grandpa has a to-die-for marinade that I mixed up (cider vinegar, soy sauce, olive oil, lemon juice, ground mustard, parsley, minced garlic) and let the meat soak 18 hours in. For sides we add four cheese Alfredo and fresh salad.

Just wanted to say what wonderful meals you prepared! It sounds like a lot of fun to live in your house.

• Love 1

Thanks! If I could get my kids to eat that would be another thing. Although, the past two weeks my kids have eaten 85% of what I have served.

You know the saying, "go big or go home". Well, I usually host thanksgiving for my husbands side of the family,which is about 20 people. This year everyone seems to be spending time with their other halves and we have decided to spend thanksgiving with my family (first time in 10 years).so I'm not hosting a big event and I'm going home :) anywho, I was wondering if we should start a holiday recipe thread for the many dishes we will be making. Cookies, side dishes, main dishes, etc..

• Love 2

Popcorn!  My husband is working and I'm going to eat popcorn and....more popcorn if I'm still hungry. 

I love my husband dearly.  We get along really well and all that wonderful stuff, but I confess, I practically do a handspring of glee every time he won't be home for dinner.   

• Love 9

It hasn't gotten out of 20s here today so I felt like some homemade soup. I made the kids canned homestyle chicken noodle with grilled cheese and for myself I made homemade French onion(my favorite soup). Hubby can have either when he gets home or leftovers from the other night :)

The man, love him, is ridiculous! The other night I got home late from running errands with the kids so we stopped for fast food. Hubby got home and was pissy because I didn't call him to let him know I wasn't making dinner. Well, he never calls to tell me if he'll be home for dinner so..... He had the option of very yummy leftovers. The next night I made a four course dinner, he gets home and cleans it all up with out eating a bite. Whatever dude. Figure it out :)

• Love 3

I couldn't stop thinking about hash browns, which is weird because I haven't eaten any in years. Found a recipe, and Mr Crs and I had fried eggs with bacon, hash browns, and cheese. Delightful and easy! Made pumpkin chocolate chip pancakes for the boys. They were thrilled, although 10 year old really wanted our meal. Love breakfast for dinner!

• Love 2

Haven't been in here for a while because we haven't had anything new or exciting lately.  But, last night, we ordered out for Thai food for the first time in years and I had my favorite: Pad Thai.  I could've eaten the whole thing in one sitting and you know how large the portions are at most Asian restaurants!

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 1

Last night was ladies night. I went out with my MIL and her sister, and my two SIL's. We live in a highly desirable area with a great downtown featuring several nationally recognized eateries. We chose a Tapas Bar for dinner and it was the BEST!!! We each ordered several dishes, passed them around and shared. The salad we ordered twice it was so good! Mixed greens, goat cheese, apples lemon poppy mojo dressing, almonds, pickled onions, YUM! We also ordered Gnocchi which was stuffed with a cream cheese butternut squash filling. We ordered mussels, scallops, meatballs, braised beef, pig cheek, yum, yum, yum! For our party of five the bill was $200.00 split evenly we each spent about $40.00. We stopped by the Chocolate Fetish on the walk back to the car and each indulged in some fancy chocolates.

We ended up back at my MIL's house (the husbands were on baby duty) where we drank wine, listened to Christmas music and decorated Christmas wreaths. We all had a big sleepover after. Had a great night, great food and company :)

• Love 6

Popcorn!  My husband is working and I'm going to eat popcorn and....more popcorn if I'm still hungry. 

I love my husband dearly.  We get along really well and all that wonderful stuff, but I confess, I practically do a handspring of glee every time he won't be home for dinner.

Same here. When the kids were younger, daddy being away meant bacon and eggs or pancakes for dinner. Now, depending on my mood, dinner alone is popcorn, or peanut butter and jelly.
  • Love 2

Flounder and broccoli.  Yum?

Yum!  Steamed flounder was one of the only kinds of fish I would eat when I was very young.  As for what I'm making tonight:

Socca (chickpea flour flatbread) with leftover Chinese style BBQ pork and onions.  Cheated and purchased prepped side dishes (broccolini and beets).

• Love 2

Not doing much here for dinner.

Lisa's casserole for us. Someone named Lisa that my mom knew growing up used to make this, hence the name.

Elbow Mac prepared, ground beef cooked, toss with pasta sauce and dried onion soup mix. Top with cheese and bake for 30 minutes.

• Love 1

Elbow Mac prepared, ground beef cooked, toss with pasta sauce and dried onion soup mix. Top with cheese and bake for 30 minutes.

Pasta sauce as in marinara? And what kind of cheese do you top it with? I'm interested!

And I'm going to need the recipe for Dorothy's Sour Cream Cookies, because that sounds delish!

Pasta Sauce as in jarred spaghetti sauce or just tomato sauce in a can. I will sometimes add a can of diced tomato too. Top with cheddar although today all I had for cheese was a pizza blend and that worked well too! Its an eady meal my kids will eat and it freezes good too for future use!

• Love 1

Mountainair if I promise to pay my way plus everyone's tip may I please l join your next girls night out? From beginning to end it made me smile.

Our Sales team brought in a big lunch (Mexican-just knew it would be Thanksgiving inspired, but no) so I'm having a glass of wine and calling it.

• Love 3

We had baked Ziti (actually vegetable penne, but the intent was the same) with tomatoes and black beans, plus oven roasted green beans and carrots.  

I have never been so glad to have an excuse to have the oven blasting away.  It's cold, would be my point.  

• Love 1

Tonight I'm trying a recipe, Linguini with Easy Meat Sauce.  It is easy, and it uses a half pound of ground sirloin, which I happen to have in the freezer.   I'll make a spinach and pear salad as a side dish.   

I have never been so glad to have an excuse to have the oven blasting away.  It's cold, would be my point.

I know what you mean.  I made Chicken Tandoori last night, which is supposed to be made on a barbecue grill, but it was way too cold for that.  I cooked it in the oven at 425 degrees, it helped warm up the kitchen nicely. 

• Love 4

I finished up one of my favorite recipes from Giada DeLaurentiis. Roasted cauliflower with parmesan cream sauce and pancetta. I don't make that very often because it is so rich, but the weather has turned so cold and gray. It's a nice cozy comfort dish.

• Love 2

Kale is supposed to taste better this time of year - it loves the cold and gets sweeter. Or it's supposed to.   Tonight is lentil soup with sausage and a yummy, fresh ciabatta. The soup is good, but I'm all about the ciabatta today. 

• Love 2

Oh what the heck. Since I'm not hosting Thanksgiving this year I've already skipped ahead to Christmas. The house is decorated (sans tree and outside stuff so the neighbors don't think I'm completely crazy) and I'm feeling festive :)

Tonight I'm making Pampered Chefs Holiday wreath. Chicken, broccoli, red and green pepper, onion, mayo and garlic. Wrap that in crescent rolls to look like a wreath, brush with egg white, bake in oven and voila!

• Love 2

Last night I used up some leftover potatoes, mixed them with eggs and make breakfast for dinner.

Tonight is a "fakesgiving" potluck with a bunch of my friends, I'm bringing a spiral cut ham and some sauces, and boozy eggnog.

• Love 2

I'd love to have a Friendsgiving! Alas, the holidays are always way too busy to try and fit in something like that. I hope you had fun though!

My In Laws are a little disappointed that all of us are going back to our respective parents house for Turkey Day this year so they are having us all over for dinner tonight. There will be 12 of us. 8 of us adults and the rest are 5 and younger. It's cold and they have a small house but still it's fun when we can all get together. They are ordering Pizza from one of the local authentic Italian pizzerias. Yum!! We (my husbands family) are Italian so we take our pizza seriously :)

• Love 3

Tonight is clam chowder and ciabatta Part II; we're starting with oysters on the half shell (because they were a buck each, and that's a good price, darn it - plus we got a deal on the clams) for an app.

Last night was Loaded Baked Potato Soup, tonight Chicken Stroganoff.   For the next couple of days I'll be having various soups I made a few weeks ago and froze, since I'm getting ready to host Thanksgiving dinner.   Wednesday night I'll probably order pizza, since I'l be getting sick of soup.