Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

Last night I made a delicious broccoli cheese soup for the first time. Tasted great and the kids even ate it, well not the 2 year old but he's more of a constant snacker anyway.

Friday's I usually reserve for take out. Usually it's pizza but since I'm doing homemade lasagna for dinner tomorrow I think we may just do fried chicken. I know, I know. But it's budget friendly for my family of four and something the kids will eat too!

• Love 2

Clam chowder - the clear broth, or Rhode Island, variety - with a wonderful, pillowy but texture-y ciabatta (from a bakery) on the side.   Eclairs for dessert because it's the hub's birthday week.  

(If you ever find yourself in Milford, CT, get thee to Scratch Baking. it's sublime.)

Friday's I usually reserve for take out. Usually it's pizza but since I'm doing homemade lasagna for dinner tomorrow I think we may just do fried chicken. I know, I know. But it's budget friendly for my family of four and something the kids will eat too!

We jumped on the fried chicken bandwagon last night, too, with sides of sweet potatoes and apples and baked beans. 

Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad, yum.

That is one of my favorite comfort food type things.  Yum indeed. 

• Love 2

harrie that bakery sounds great.  I'm not too far from Milford, but I don't make it down that way very often.  Maybe I'll check it out.  I'm planning to make fried chicken sometime soon.   Because of the mess (not to mention the calories) it's only an occasional treat.  

• Love 1

There must be something in the air because I had fried chicken for my splurge dinner on Friday, too! I rarely, rarely eat it (and I'm in the South, so it's tough to avoid) but I was just craving it the other night and hit Church's Chicken for dinner. Yum. Worth every single calorie.

• Love 2

Mr. Mountain actually got off work at a decent hour yesterday so instead of fried chicken we went out for Mexican. With a 2 and 4 year old we rarely go out so that was a nice treat. Ironically the 2 year old was much better behaved than the 4 year old.

Spent all morning making my lasagna and it smells divine cooking right now! I went to take the foil off a few minutes ago and with it the top layer of cheese and noodles came off as well. Oops! Should have sprayed the foil with cooking spray. The sucker weighed 50 pounds so loosing one layer isn't the end of the world except for presentation points of course!

• Love 2

harrie that bakery sounds great.  I'm not too far from Milford, but I don't make it down that way very often.  Maybe I'll check it out.  I'm planning to make fried chicken sometime soon.   Because of the mess (not to mention the calories) it's only an occasional treat.  

Oh neat, ALenore; I didn't realize we were relatively near each other. I work in Milford, so have to make a conscious effort to only hit the bakery for special-ish occasions.  A little over a year ago I started bringing home dessert from there a couple times a month and gained 20 pounds in six months (which I've since lost). Yet everyone who works there is skinny. Go figure. 

• Love 1
Oh neat, ALenore; I didn't realize we were relatively near each other.

I actually live in New Milford, just up the Housatonic River.  

I love desserts, but I have to ration them. I used to make desserts like brownies, cakes or cookies once a week, but gained a fair amount of weight over the years.  I've lost the weight, now I make desserts once a month or less, and buy myself small treats to have more often (meringues, only about 12 calories each, and chocolate covered pretzels once a week).

• Love 1

I actually live in New Milford, just up the Housatonic River.  

I love desserts, but I have to ration them. I used to make desserts like brownies, cakes or cookies once a week, but gained a fair amount of weight over the years.  I've lost the weight, now I make desserts once a month or less, and buy myself small treats to have more often (meringues, only about 12 calories each, and chocolate covered pretzels once a week).

I have never been a fan of sweets. I am more the savory type. When I was pregnant with my first kid I got hooked on those stupid freezer pops. Nothing but crap ingredients, sugar, sugar, sugar. I would literally eat 10 a night. Needles to say, a few weeks after my addiction kicked in I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes. HUGE changes commenced. Ones I didn't even know I needed! I tend to run in the middle of the pack. Not overweight and not underweight. But counting the carbs to maintain the diabetes made a huge change in my life. I stopped using cream in my coffee and to this day I still prefer my coffee black. I mentally measure only a few gulps of milk in my cup instead of a big tall glass.

All this to say, my second pregnany found me wanting to make and eat sweets as well. I purchased the Americas Test Kitchen Family Cookbook which had a scrumptious New York style cheesecake. It takes two days to make but if I'm in the mood for sweets that is my go to recipe. YUM!

As an aside, I was not diagnosed with diabetes with my second kid, just high blood pressure and was put on bed rest. I'd prefer the diabetes to bed rest to be honest!

• Love 1

A friend was in town to work the local college football game, so we went out for Indian food tonight.  I had the mulligatawny soup (I'm battling a cold at the moment, so it really helped) and the chicken korma.  And wine :-)

A lovely evening!

• Love 1

I'm home all day today (I'm getting groceries delivered so I don't have to go to the grocery store) so I'm going to spend some extra time cooking. I'm making chicken broth in a pressure cooker, baking a baguette, and for dinner I'm making Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/cheesy-chicken-enchiladas.  It's not at all authentically Mexican, but it's tasty and makes 8 servings, I'll freeze half and have it for a later dinner.  

I've got chicken stock simmering away on the stove, but it's not soup weather here, so I'm going to freeze it rather than use it tonight (the stock takes up less freezer space than the ingredients to make it, and I need the room).  But with the smell tantalizing me, I'm sticking with chicken for tonight's dinner: chicken thighs stuffed with broccoli, onion and carrots, lightly seasoned with a parmesan/bread crumb mixture, and baked.

• Love 2

(I'm getting groceries delivered so I don't have to go to the grocery store)

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who does this. There's a service near here that offers local produce, dairy, and meat delivered to your door. It's all organic, sustainable, humane, etc., etc. When I'm overwhelmed with work, I'll order a box, which can be customized. It's a sanity-saver.

• Love 3

Tonight I am splurging ... I have pulled pork (I buy a pork butt and slow cook it and then shred it, then vacuum seal it into 6 oz portions) that I am going to mix with pineapple chunks (and it's juice), ginger, garlic, s&p and a dash of aminos and pour it over wild rice, garnishing it with cilantro. Cilantro makes anything taste good. A salad with ginger dressing on the side.

• Love 1

We're having brisket tonight.  Mr ebk put it the oven last night about 11.  He's now putting the brussel sprouts in the oven.  Estimated time of yumminess - 45 minutes.  I'm hungry!

• Love 2

My oldest child is turning five in a week with a HUGE super hero party being held Saturday. As a result I will be hosting four house guests this weekend, which means 8 mouths to feed for four days worth of meals. I'm on a budget so does anyone have any go to feed a crowd meals they can suggest. Besides spaghetti? I really hate spaghetti!

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who does this. There's a service near here that offers local produce, dairy, and meat delivered to your door. It's all organic, sustainable, humane, etc., etc. When I'm overwhelmed with work, I'll order a box, which can be customized. It's a sanity-saver.

Me too! I actually find that it saves me money because I avoid impulse buys and plan my meals more efficiently.

My oldest child is turning five in a week with a HUGE super hero party being held Saturday. As a result I will be hosting four house guests this weekend, which means 8 mouths to feed for four days worth of meals. I'm on a budget so does anyone have any go to feed a crowd meals they can suggest. Besides spaghetti? I really hate spaghetti!

Potato bake is a good, cheap, easy to make in bulk sidedish. Maybe with a baked chicken?

• Love 1

Lasagna might be a little too close to spaghetti, but it does well for a crowd at many large dinners I attend.  My SIL does tacos - shred a rotisserie chicken if you're jammed for time, cook up some ground beef and/or bean fillings, and set up a taco bar of fixings,  Everyone makes their own plates, etc.   Or a big pot of chili, with biscuits or corn bread on the side?  Or chips and guac on the side?  Toppings, if you do that, like cheese, crumbled tortilla chips, sour cream, cilantro (if you eat it, I don't), etc.   Or something hearty like split pea soup with or without ham hock? 

Above, bizbuzz did pork butt in a slow cooker for pulled pork -- that goes a long way. The slow cooker pulled pork is pretty hands-off, and we do a cole slaw on the side (sometimes the slaw stays on the side, sometimes it tops the sandwich).  

For the pulled pork, I find a rub I like and rub the meat with it - you can let it sit a while or not, I usually don't -- put a layer of of sliced onions in the bottom of the pot, pour in half a bottle of beer or so (or water or broth if you prefer, but not too much liquid), put the meat on top of the onions, and let it go on low for 8 hours.  Or more; I've run late and done ten hours, and nothing blows up and the meat stays moist.  Take the meat out, shred it with two forks, and make a sandwich of it with your BBQ sauce of choice, purchased or homemade. 

You can also do the above with a brisket, but I am not sure what brisket is going for these days. (I buy from a farmer, so it's always pricey, but he also gives me a break.)

Just a couple thoughts.  

Last night had delicious shrimp fra diavolo over linguine at a local pizza place; I had so much left over I'm having shrimp on a green salad for lunch.  It kills me to pitch the linguine, but you know, lifestyle change stuff. 

Edited by harrie

You can make a casserole out of almost anything, and feed a large group easily (assemble it whenever in the day is easiest for you, and then it's ready to pop in the oven half an hour before dinner time).

I second the suggestion above of a taco bar; that works great for a large group.  You can also make a few pizzas one night -- if you buy the dough pre-made and have your guets help you assemble the toppings, it will really take no time at all.  A big batch of a hearty soup - again, something you can cook when you have time, and then just make garlic bread or similar to go with it at dinner.

As for me, tonight I'll be making pork chops (bone-in, thin cut, brined and pan seared) and some sort of greens (either collard or kale; I have both to use this week) and pairing them with the little bit of mac & cheese that is left over.

• Love 1

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I didn't even think of sloppy joes, that's kid friendly and yummy! Taco bar is a great idea too! I've got a ton of housework to do this week and party prep to get done so anything that is easy to put together and requires little time in the kitchen in right up my alley! I always say I'm going to make birthdays easier. HA! I have a guest list of 30 people and find myself hand making super hero capes for all the kids the rest of the week. I always go over board!

As for dinner tonight, we are still nursing the Lasagna I made Saturday. I'll freeze whatever is left after DH gets home and make something new tomorrow night. I promised my family :)

• Love 1

OMG, I highly recommend the 20 Garlic Crockpot Chicken, it was DIVINE.  I roasted some asparagus and broccoli, some wild rice and I was in heaven.

I am taking some of that leftover chicken and making a Waldorf Salad tonight.  I could eat that every single day.  What a great mix of different textures, and the whole sweet and salty bit too.  Yum!

• Love 1

ALenore, those zuke chips look yummy - and ordinarily  I have no love for zucchini.  We may have to try those.  (We usually do a change-up fry [actually baked "fries"] with delicata squash.)

I'm also looking for a place on the menu to fit in the 20-garlic chicken.  

Tonight is spinach salad with bacon and hard boiled egg on top. 

Edited by harrie

Anyone have any great iron rich suggestions? I'm focusing on spinach & red meat but know I'll need some variety. I'm not a fan of oysters or clams & can not force down liver. I also don't eat gluten or much soy. Unfortunatly I'm anemic & really struggling. I'm doing supplements but any extra umpth will help. I'm so fatigued I'm scaring my kiddos.

(We usually do a change-up fry [actually baked "fries"] with delicata squash.)

Can you give me some idea how you cut the delicata squash?  I haven't mastered it.

Anyone have any great iron rich suggestions? I'm focusing on spinach & red meat but know I'll need some variety. I'm not a fan of oysters or clams & can not force down liver. I also don't eat gluten or much soy. Unfortunatly I'm anemic & really struggling. I'm doing supplements but any extra umpth will help. I'm so fatigued I'm scaring my kiddos.

My mother, who is 92, takes these.  When she fell 5 years ago and burned herself and ended up in the hospital, the hematologist wanted to know what she was on because her blood was perfect.  He told her never to stop taking them.  Good stuff.

Okay, so I'm no longer anemic but I did struggle with it for years and finally won the fight definitively and I don't eat meat other than fish.  

I'd recommend taking these supplements from New Chapter.  They're expensive but worth it, in my experience.  Then beets are good for building hemoglobin.  Pumpkin seeds are a good source of iron too.  In fact, they're the best vegetarian source of iron, but they're actually better than beef (and better than spinach too).  

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 2

Tonight I made Sticky Chicken in the crockpot and served rice and steamed veggies on the side. The chicken cooks in a soy/brown sugar sauce and the you brush more soy/brown sugar/tomato paste on top and broil it for a few minutes. Turned out pretty good. We aren't big chicken fans over here but I can't serve ground beef for every meal and my son has a mild shellfish allergy and my husband has a white fish allergy so no seafood at my house :(

Good news on the house guest front, two guests cancelled on me (which really came as a relief to me) so just my parents will be staying with us. They tend to help with the grocery bill so that's a plus!

Now, I'm not much of a baker and couldn't justify spending $40 on a sheet cake so I'm going to attempt to make two 9x13 cakes and slide them together using icing as glue to make one big one. That should work right?

• Love 2

Can you give me some idea how you cut the delicata squash?  I haven't mastered it.

I peel the squash and cut it the long way, as evenly as I can.  I've seen recipes for leaving the squash unpeeled and cutting it crosswise, but the hub and I like fries long.  Peeling can be difficult but is do-able, then I halve the squash lengthwise, scoop out the seeds and cut the halves into lengthwise strips.  

(Because I feel weird leaving it hanging at that....) Hit it with spray fat or olive oil, whichever you prefer, and pepper and salt to your taste.  Then bake at 375-400 for about 8-10 minutes, flip and evaluate, and cook another 5-10 minutes depending how everything looked at the 8-10 minute mark. 

Hope that's somewhat helpful, BizBuzz.

• Love 1

Tortilla Espanola , roasted squash and steamed spinach.  

It's a very mushy night for us, apparently.  

I already made the tortilla and used my scary, scary mandoline on it.  That things scares the bejeebers out of me when I use it on sweet potatoes in particular.  

Yes, I fear things in my kitchen.  Some more than others.  The mandoline more than anything else.  

• Love 1

I see nothing wrong with fearing a mandoline! A friend of mine sliced the tip of her finger clean off with one. I even get nervous around my box grator sometimes since I've mangled my fingers on it before.

• Love 2

This is going to sound gross, but don't knock it till you try it.

I take a can of sardines, chop it up with some sweet onions, add avocado, a bit of lime and lots of cilantro and viola, a simple but yet nutritious dinner!

• Love 1

I'm trying to eat more salmon (which I don't hate, but don't like, either) without cancelling out its health benefits by slathering it in a mayo/dill/garlic sauce or breading it to make it palatable.  Last night I marinated a fillet in olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and dill, then pan seared.  I used less tartar sauce, so I'm getting there, but all the "good" fish - for me, and the environment - are ones I don't care for. 

But the roasted broccoli I had with it was tasty.

Tonight I'm making a chicken and mushroom dish -- you chop up boneless, skinless chicken breasts and give them lots of flavor by sauteeing them with mushrooms (I usually use cremini), scallions, garlic, ginger and red pepper flakes, then stir in a fair bit of cilantro and some tamari and rice vinegar near the end.  

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2

Remember my saying that pasta carbonara is the easiest and most indlugent thing I know how to make? I forgot barbecue pork ribs. Pricey unless you find them on sale (I spend the summer stocking up!) and they require more advance planning, but it only takes about ten minutes to mix up and apply a brown sugar rub, followed by two hours of just leaving them alone in the oven. And I spent almost all of those two hours doing a combination of treadmill walking, upper-body work, and an ab workout, so I earned the indulgence this time.

Edited by Tabbyclaw
  • Love 2

Tonight we are attending a gathering, and I haven't decided yet, but it could be Cowboy Caviar or a dish that was mentioned in the Bring a Dish thread with shrimp and orzo <-- that actually sounds delish.