Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

I'm planning on making Acorn Squash and Apple soup.

By the way, I need some advice on what to do with leftover buttermilk.  I bought some to make a salad dressing, but there's a lot left over.  I do have some recipes for buttermilk biscuits and buttermilk pancakes, but I'm trying to cut down on carbs (and I can't stand drinking the stuff).  Anyone know any way to use this stuff up?

This is actually a "what was for breakfast" yesterday post. I made these pumpkin waffles and they were good enough to warrant sharing the recipe. I personally swapped out coconut oil for the melted butter, plus I used half AP flour and half white whole wheat flour. Then what I also found is a) this is one of those batters that you need to spread on the iron so heat-resistant spatulas help and then b) it's also one that might be a bit prone to sticking, so I sprayed my waffle iron (which is nonstick anyway) in between each batch with coconut oil and that solved the "wow, did my test waffle ever end up a mess" problem.  

Really good though.  Tonight is a chickpea salad made with chickpeas cooked in the slow-cooker with vegetable broth, some liquid smoke, a chopped shallot and two pink lady apples cut into hunks, cooled, drained and then tossed some arugula and tahini dressing.  It's generally eaten in either pitas or ciabatta and I think ciabatta will end up being the choice of the day. 

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 3

This is actually a "what was for breakfast" yesterday post.

Yay! To be honest, I love breakfast/brunch foods or as defined by the West since many cultures don't differentiate between the big meals. I was hoping this thread would have more breakfast/brunch stuff and I almost created a new topic for it. 

• Love 1

I really like to occasionally have breakfast for dinner too.  It can really be a lifesaver on a day when I haven't done much planning.  

Tonight is cabbage, mushrooms, eggplant, red peppers, black beans  and brown rice sauted in hoisin sauce, red curry paste and Hungarian hot paprika (yes, I know, lots of cultural confusion present in this dish) and it's one of those dishes that reheats really well, so I've already made it and am done cooking for the day.  Woo hoo!

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 1

I had a big lunch late in the day, so dinner will be a bowl of some zucchini, cilantro and chile soup I made the other day.  It is not remotely soup weather here (although at least we're in between heat waves), but I was running out of ways to use up the zucchini.

• Love 1
but I was running out of ways to use up the zucchini.

I know, right? I keep telling myself that around about February, when I would pay a King's ransom for some decent produce , I will regret ever being tired of a seasonal vegetable.  I'm sure that will actually be the case, but for now, I had a great big plate of zucchini and summer squash for lunch and am feeling a bit squashed-out. 

Everyone in my family is having a bad week and I don't want to put any effort into cooking, so I'm making pasta carbonara because it is both the easiest and most indulgent recipe I have. Whisk together cream, eggs, and finely-grated parmesan (the good stuff), then stir it into hot pasta so the eggs thicken and the cheese melts and it turns into a ridiculously gooey, creamy sauce, then add bacon, onions fried in the bacon grease, and peas. Takes no time at all and you end it by feeling like you never need to eat anything again.

• Love 1

I ended up testing the black bean noodles as a side dish with a Thai peanut sauce. They were good, but I don't think they'd stand up to a hearty sauce with meat or lots of veggies. Maybe next time I make fish...

Everyone in my family is having a bad week and I don't want to put any effort into cooking, so I'm making pasta carbonara because it is both the easiest and most indulgent recipe I have.  Whisk together cream, eggs, and finely-grated parmesan (the good stuff), then stir it into hot pasta so the eggs thicken and the cheese melts and it turns into a ridiculously gooey, creamy sauce, then add bacon, onions fried in the bacon grease, and peas.

I hope things improve for all. 

I had been planning on roasting a chicken tonight, with side dishes to be determined, but your post as I headed out made me think, "Oh, that sounds so good, and I haven't made it in eons ..."

So, yeah, add some leftover steak and omit the peas and that's what I had for dinner. 

• Love 1

Heck, forumfish, that sounds delightful :)  Tonight is baked tofu that I've been marinating for three days (yes, that does mean I completely forgot about it), zucchini, summer squash, a mystery squash (my Roma Tomato neighbor gave it to me) and roasted sweet potatoes.  

Every time I read an article that advises eating more fiber, I laugh like a lunatic.  My diet has so much fiber in it, I'm surprised I haven't been mugged and stretched on a loom for my fibrous qualities.  

I was thinking of making turkey chilli tonight.

I have about a cup left of pumpkin I roasted a few days ago. I was thinking of throwing it in the chilli. Has anyone ever ate turkey pumpkin chilli?

I see there is recipes all over the net. I guess I'm just wondering if it's as good as it sounds or should I just stick to my regular TC?

Edited by imjagain

The chicken I was going to roast Wednesday before Tabbyclaw gave me an irresistible craving for pasta carbonara is finally going to be cooked tonight.  Cut up, slathered in an herb/wine sauce that takes me all of five minutes to make, sprinkled with some paprika and grated parmesan and baked.  I have some leftover Swiss chard gratin that can just be heated up, and the chicken is all prepped, so when the 4:30 game is over I can pop it in the oven, make a simple mixed green salad, and plop back down for the 7:30 game while the chicken cooks.

It's very hot and I have cramps, so lazy is the name of the game today.  And possibly tomorrow; lazy is pretty much a football season-long theme.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2

Had pho bo for lunch. Will be having polenta-crusted chicken tenders with Moroccan quinoa (quinoa with sundried tomatoes, dried apple, pecans and Moroccan spices). 

• Love 2

Last night was spinach lasagna - came out nicely, if I do say so.  Enough leftovers for a repeat meal during the week.  Tonight is spare ribs on the grill (the Fred Flinstone cut, this thing is huge), grilled corn and potato salad.  Because we're in denial about this whole "fall" thing people talk about.  

After a homeowners association cookout in the afternoon, we went out for appetizers and beer at our favorite bar last night. I had the chicken chili, and DH had a small plate version of the restaurant's lamb tenderloin entree. This afternoon, we're going to a preseason hockey game, then having dinner at the Bonefish Grill near where we park (we have a coupon).

This week's menu will include a fruit-and-cheese dinner, an omelet dinner, and a leftovers dinner, with three others yet to be determined, though one will involve chicken thighs.

• Love 2

Bella, if you guys like mussels, Bonefish Grill is my favorite, chain or otherwise. Highly recommend if you're fans.

The key is asking for extra bread and dunking in the bowl of mussels. Oh my word, yum.

Edited by KnoxForPres
  • Love 1

I'm making Beef Bourguignonne tonight, cooked in the pressure cooker, served over noodles.   I'm also going to bake some french bread, some of which I'll have with the stew, some will be frozen for another meal.  

• Love 1

Bella, lamb tenderloin sounds delicious; I've never even thought about eating/cooking it. Will have to ask my lamb purveyor about it, though she may be keeping it all for herself. 

Last night I made Corn Chowder with Shrimp and Bacon, easy and quite tasty.   Tonight I'm making Roast Garlic Macaroni and Cheese.  I've never tried this recipe before, hope it comes out good. 

'tis a cool rainy fall day here in NY.  After shopping for Halloween costumes and some more fall clothing for the ever growing children, I think we're going to pick up some apple cider donuts (already have the cider) and them I'm going to make soup.

The only question is, what kind.  You have all inspired me to go "fall" with the theme.  I'm thinking that a new batch of butternut squash soup (mine is super simple, with curry powder being the dominant spice) is in order. However, we also have a nice bunch of kale in the fridge that won't be entirely eaten by guinea pigs. I also feel like a nice Portuguese kale and sausage soup would hit the spot.  That one reminds me of Cape Cod in the fall, which is not a bad thing.

In an effort to not bury the lede, this entire post is probably only going to be of interest to anyone trying to make good vegetarian stews when it comes to broth.  

Okay, so my lovely neighbor who always gives me whatever vegetables she isn't interested in from her organic vegetable co-op delivery -- and I should probably explain, we're perfectly capable of buying our own food, but my neighbor is a former Kansas farm-girl who grew up in an area of the world where there is no greater sin than wasting food, knows that I'm Pescetarian (or Vegequarian, or whatever you'd like to term it....heavy emphasis on the Vegetarian aspects) and figures it's better than letting the stuff go to waste.   

It is preferable, but it led to a really funny sight.  We got home from dinner on Weds night and it looked like the Horn of Plenty had taken up squatting on my front doorstep.  Seriously, she must have had one of her incredibly tall sons heft that load to my door.  I ended up with four squash I had to look up to be certain what they were (Peanut was one of them, Kombucho -- I think was another -- and several others) , a cabbage, turnips, beets, radishes, tomatoes and something I still don't know what it was, because she was going out of town (there is a point to this incredibly long tale, by the way) and apples.  

I accidentally discovered a good way to make a broth that has enough substance to stand up to almost all of those ingredients (plus lentils but minus the radishes and tomatoes because...eek) ....vegetable stock, plus water and boiled cider did it.  Sounds weirder than heck, but it worked with all those root vegetables (there were two of the biggest carrots I've ever seen, I could have used them for home defense by jousting the intruder with them) and the cabbage.  I didn't figure out why it worked until afterward, the pectin in the boiled cider was the thing that added the substance to the broth.  Boiled cider is not actually sweet, it's tart.  

So there you go, when looking for a way to make a good fall themed broth?  Apparently adding boiled cider (which tends to be a specialty item, but I like it and get it every year) is really helpful.  

• Love 2

Lemony flounder and garlicky chard. 

OT: Reminds me of a story.  A large group of us who were from the Northern Virginia area went on a job to Worcester, Massachusetts.  We all ate dinner together and the waitress asked us if we wanted the vegetable that was coming with the meal.  Chad.  None of us had a clue as to what she was talking about.  "You know, Swiss chad."  Oh, chard!

• Love 5

Tonight was Thai Larb with ground turkey instead of chicken - I may be the last person in the US to have tasted Sriracha but I liked it a lot (in moderation, of course).   We'll definitely be making it again.

Thank you for the npr link, ALenore - we're expecting a monsoon tomorrow, and plan to dispose of (what's left of) the tomato plants Saturday. We have a good number of green tomatoes, and now we have some more ideas about what to do with them. 

Edited by harrie
  • Love 2