Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

(edited)

Headed out again to the local park for a Fleetwood cover band. I never pass up an opportunity to picnic, especially if there is music. Fortunately there are some great cover bands lined up this summer.

In tonight's basket are bun bowls with grilled shrimp, BBQ pork & spring rolls, table salad, shaking beef. Mango and coconut sticky rice for dessert. Cafe su da and ginger lemongrass water to drink. 

Logging off to start prepping.

Edited by Giselle
  • Love 5

Went to see Falsettos at the movies this afternoon, so on the way home, I stopped at Roy Roger's and got me some fried chicken.  So damn good...  

The show is also damn good.

The things I get into when Mr ebk is out of town :-)

• Love 5
(edited)
3 hours ago, Giselle said:

Headed out again to the local park for a Fleetwood cover band. I never pass up an opportunity to picnic, especially if there is music. Fortunately there are some great cover bands lined up this summer.

In tonight's basket are bun bowls with grilled shrimp, BBQ pork & spring rolls, table salad, shaking beef. Mango and coconut sticky rice for dessert. Cafe su da and ginger lemongrass water to drink. 

Logging off to start prepping.

Awww man...can I come Giselle?  Not only do I like your menu, I also like your weather!  I can't handle outdoor concerts on this side of the country (metro DC) and don't know how people do it cause it's so hot, sticky and muggy.  Right now it's nice outside so I'm going to take advantage and go sit at my new umbrella table and enjoy this rarity.  Tonight's supper was Sweet Chili Chicken (from Grilling), Cowboy Caviar, and what I call Mexican Macaroni Salad.  That chicken is so good I like to take it right out of the fridge and eat the leftovers cold (and I rarely do that w/ anything else). I love garnishing it with mint, cilantro and scallions--so pretty, so good.

I stopped at Roy Roger's and got me some fried chicken.  So damn good...  

Me too, ebk57!  One of these days I need to try that Korean chain Bon Chon.  Their fried chicken is supposed to be really crunchy crispy which I love. And I do the same thing when Mr P914 is out of town (one time I called Chinese delivery and had several different meals delivered cause I couldn't make up my mind what I wanted--had lots of yum leftovers).

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Love 3
26 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

That chicken is so good I like to take it right out of the fridge and eat the leftovers cold (and I rarely do that w/ anything else).

I only have a few leftovers that I eat cold, but those few are things I love cold -- primarily pizza and fried chicken.  I had a slice of cold pizza (wheat crust, garlic-infused olive oil sauce, mozzarella cheese, Italian sausage, and spinach) for breakfast this morning.

Dinner will be pub grub and beer, as I'm meeting friends at a local brewery.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ebk57 said:

Went to see Falsettos at the movies this afternoon, so on the way home, I stopped at Roy Roger's and got me some fried chicken.  So damn good...  

You have a Roy Rogers nearby?  Lucky!!  I don't do much fast food, but I've always liked Roy's; and the hub worked there in college, so he sometimes talks about the sandwich combinations/secret menu-type stuff -- and there are none nearby, so we just spend our time drooling.

Tonight is lobstah from Captain James and tiny boiled taters. 

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, harrie said:

You have a Roy Rogers nearby?  Lucky!!  I don't do much fast food, but I've always liked Roy's; and the hub worked there in college, so he sometimes talks about the sandwich combinations/secret menu-type stuff -- and there are none nearby, so we just spend our time drooling.

A few years ago, someone bought the Roy's name and recipes and opened some in the area.  Fortunately, (or not, depending on one's view on healthy eating), one of them is a mere 4 miles from my house!  I try to keep my fried chicken intake at twice a year at most.  So far, so good (this being my first foray of 2017).  I've always said I'd like my last meal to be Popeye's spicy chicken with a biscuit and fries.  

• Love 2

Eastern NC pulled pork (vinegar based not tomato) on a bun with cole slaw after an appetizer of jalapeño poppers (the peppers were red).  I always thought that jalapeños were green. These had some kick...not too hot...but a yummy gooey cheesy filing. Yesterday I treated myself to some Popeyes chicken. Very greasy and not as good as when I'm in New Orleans. Off to wind down with some chocolate. 

• Love 3
16 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Eastern NC pulled pork (vinegar based not tomato) on a bun with cole slaw after an appetizer of jalapeño poppers (the peppers were red).  I always thought that jalapeños were green. These had some kick...not too hot...but a yummy gooey cheesy filing. Yesterday I treated myself to some Popeyes chicken. Very greasy and not as good as when I'm in New Orleans. Off to wind down with some chocolate. 

Peppers will change color as they ripen when they are still on the bush, their flavor can also change. 

• Love 1
17 hours ago, harrie said:

Color me emerald green with envy!  I haven't had lobstah in so long.

Eastern NC pulled pork (vinegar based not tomato) on a bun with cole slaw .  IMO that's the best kind of NC bbq.  When I lived in Raleigh I went to Wilson and had bbq at Bill's Barbecue along with great "slaw" as they say in NC.  I love that vinegar based sauce.  In the western part of the state where tomato is featured in the sauce, the bbq is good but not as delicious to me as eastern style.  Those North Carolinians can get into some serious "discussions" on which sauce is the best ;>)

• Love 3

Pot roast and gravy, roasted carrots and potatoes, green salad and hard rolls.

Hubbie came home with some fresh strawberries this morning from the stand so great grandma's one egg cake is in the oven. I planned on Cherry Clafouti guess that will be during the week.

If they have them in your area try Pepperidge Farm's frozen hard rolls they are so good. Just as good as Il Fornaio's . I get mine at Great Wal of China (Walmart).

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Giselle said:

Pot roast and gravy, roasted carrots and potatoes, green salad and hard rolls.

Hubbie came home with some fresh strawberries this morning from the stand so great grandma's one egg cake is in the oven. I planned on Cherry Clafouti guess that will be during the week.

If they have them in your area try Pepperidge Farm's frozen hard rolls they are so good. Just as good as Il Fornaio's . I get mine at Great Wal of China (Walmart).

I agree the Pepperidge Farm frozen rolls are great. Even America's Test Kitchen gave them a big thumbs up.

• Love 1

Chilled pea soup with curried shrimp and rice crackers. I should probably cut up the watermelon I bought yesterday. If I don't cut it within the first two days of bringing it home it dies a sad death in the back of my refrigerator.

• Love 2

Went to a favorite place in Baltimore that will be closing soon (Jack's Bistro in Canton).  We had guacamole and chips, then I had the braised short rib ravioli and my friend had the bistro crab cake.  For dessert, we had the affogato made with salted caramel gelato, butterscotch sauce and espresso...AND the bread pudding, also with the salted caramel gelato and chocolate sauce.  Because they're closing soon, so we had to!!  

We had a lovely bottle of rose (half price wine every night before 6pm!)

I'll never eat again...

• Love 5
2 hours ago, EllieH said:

Trader Joe's Orange Chicken and fried rice

How is that? I like cooking from scratch but sometimes quick and easy is a life saver.

It's always nice to have an idea of what might taste good.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, ebk57 said:

Went to a favorite place in Baltimore that will be closing soon (Jack's Bistro in Canton).  We had guacamole and chips, then I had the braised short rib ravioli and my friend had the bistro crab cake.  For dessert, we had the affogato made with salted caramel gelato, butterscotch sauce and espresso...AND the bread pudding, also with the salted caramel gelato and chocolate sauce.  Because they're closing soon, so we had to!!  

We had a lovely bottle of rose (half price wine every night before 6pm!)

I'll never eat again...

Ohhh, ebk57...but you did it for the cause, the sayonara to that restaurant (it had to be done by someone).  Some day you'll eat again.

• Love 1

@ebk57, I will be dreaming of that affogato! It's one of my favorite desserts and that sounds like an amazing rendition (butterscotch, I swoon!). 

@Giselle, I like TJ's orange chicken for a quick meal. I usually get a bag of mixed frozen vegetable from TJ's to go along with it (I think it's called vegetable hodgepodge) and mix it all together with the sauce packets.  

• Love 1

I mentioned this in the Barefoot Contessa forum, but last night I had beef tenderloin cooked via a method Ina Garten demonstrated: cook in a 500-degree oven for 22 minutes (for rare; 25 for medium rare), then wrap tightly in foil and let it set for 20 minutes.  This is the second time we've used that cooking method for beef tenderloin, and it is just delicious. 

I'm not sure what tonight's main course will be, but the side dish will involve squash, because at this point I think it's growing out of my ears, never mind my garden.

• Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, DeLurker said:

How big was the tenderloin?

Probably a little under four pounds (I didn't cook it - I was at my parents' house - but that's what it looked like).

I only eat steaks grilled, so the only oven-cooked beef I ever eat is when my mom makes tenderloin while I'm there.  I loathe pot roast, so she never fixes that when I'm there, and I'm only mildly excited when she does prime rib on the rotisserie.  But the beef tenderloin is good.  She's done it several ways, and I think this is my favorite.  It's hard to remember; I don't eat beef very often, so the experiences are spread out.

Edited by Bastet
(edited)
On 7/16/2017 at 1:46 PM, Giselle said:

Remember the tiny Pepperidge Farm rolls?  I don't think they make them any more. My mom would spread softened butter on top of them, then sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top and bake.  They were soooo good! And because they were so small, you didn't get overstuffed having a roll with dinner.  I miss those little rolls.  Hey - I like this: Great Wal of China ;>)

Almost forgot: dinner tonight will be grilled portobello mushrooms with onions and peppers on Wegman's rolls.

Edited by annzeepark914

I passed a produce market today that had a sign advertising "Shelled peas."  I love fresh peas, but hate shelling them (someone on the Kitchen Gadget thread - is there a device to do this for me?), so I bought a small amount for a ridiculous sum of money.  I think I will just steam them up, add some freshly ground pepper and butter.  No protein, no starch, just peas.

• Love 2
(edited)

Sweet corn, grilled chicken sausage, mixed greens salad. Simple after work stuff. 

Oh, and one small Sungold tomato from my garden. Many more are coming soon. 

Edited by JTMacc99

Cheese = protein

trisquits = grain

gin = veg/fruit has medicinal properties

tonic = not really water, but does have quinine which was used to treat malaria

lime - assumed, but fresh citrus

Sounds like a balanced meal to me.

• Love 5
(edited)
8 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Cheddar cheese on Triscuits washed down with gin and tonic. Don't judge.

Not judgement here! I'm having crackling and chocolate milk!

Boys are eating stir fried egg noodles with grilled chicken wings. 

Edited by Mellowyellow
9 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Cheddar cheese on Triscuits washed down with gin and tonic. Don't judge.

Now I don't feel badly that I had some Flip Sides (crackers that are Ritz on one side and pretzel on the other), a slice of Swiss cheese and a small handful of nuts washed down with a glass of Proseco. Need to go to the store today to get some peach nectar so I can turn the leftovers into Bellinis tonight. 

• Love 2

Might try my hand at home made chicken fajitas this evening. Never tried it before, so won't risk it on friends or guests. 

Have got most of the ingredients, chicken, oregano, onions, garlic, mixed peppers, tortillas, coriander, paprika and Tabasco sauce. With perhaps some rice thrown in for good measure. 

Should be fun (hopefully!) 

On 7/1/2017 at 4:22 AM, BW Manilowe said:

You don't have to be Hawaiian to like/love Spam. I'm half-Filipina & have eaten probably more than my share in my lifetime.

"Attention: Do Not Accept Friend Requests from someone named Hormel Foods - it could be spam." 

23 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

How do you know things like this? I'd cook according to tradition. 

http://nationaldaycalendar.com/

• Love 4
5 hours ago, biakbiak said:

An Italian garbanzo beans stew with spinach and topped with pesto, crusty bread, and Apple crisp with vanilla ice cream for dessert.

I would love that stew recipe if you don't mind sharing!! Thanks!

My son alerted me to National Hot Dog day. I didn't have any hot dogs but did have some skinny chicken sausages that fit on a hot dog bun to allow us to honor the day. 

It was actually very warm out yesterday and while I was out watering the garden Danny and Neo (dogs, see: Post your pet photos thread for more information) were wandering around the yard. When I was done they were ready to back inside to the air conditioning, which allowed me to drop a quality dad joke about it not being national hot DOG day. Much to the amusement of the boy.

Also, when my son told me about hot dog day, we were in the car so I asked him to look up other things.  Just so everybody knows, Monday 7/24 is National Tequila day. Plan accordingly.

• Love 9

I went to the farmer's market this weekend, and as usual, I was like a kid in the candy shore.  I bought too many items that I need to use soon.  Tonight will be grilled sockeye salmon. The Spice Hunter makes a nice blend that I love on salmon called Deliciously Dill that I will add.  I'm trying for the first time Barefoot Contessa's mustard roasted potatoes/onions.  I have some cucumbers that need to be used, so I'm making my mother's cucumber salad with a sour cream/vinegar dressing.  For dessert I made the Beekman's tart cherry almond mousse.  First time for this one too.

Trader Joe's spatchcock chicken, first time making this, but only heard of it thanks to this forum.  Weirdly, just today, I went to the butcher for the first time in along time and they had rows of spatchcock chickens in their display case.  Depending on how my TJ's comes out, I can't wait to try this method with tons of other marinade flavorings.

9 minutes ago, mansonlamps said:

Trader Joe's spatchcock chicken, first time making this, but only heard of it thanks to this forum.  Weirdly, just today, I went to the butcher for the first time in along time and they had rows of spatchcock chickens in their display case.  Depending on how my TJ's comes out, I can't wait to try this method with tons of other marinade flavorings.

The last TJ's spatchcocked chicken I got was a tad too sweet. Must have been too much sugar in the brine, so I will be interested in what you think.