Type keyword(s) to search

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (2022)

tv echo
  • Start Topic

(edited)

At CinemaCon yesterday, Disney apparently dropped about 20 minutes from the beginning of Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness...

Disney at CinemaCon 2022: The Latest Film Updates on ‘Avatar 2,’ ‘Lightyear,’ ‘Black Panther: Wakanda Forever,’ and More
by Michelle Snow    April 27, 2022
https://thedisneyblog.com/2022/04/27/disney-at-cinemacon-2022-the-latest-film-updates-on-avatar-2-lightyear-black-panther-wakanda-forever-and-more/ 

[Kevin Feige] then segued to “Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness,” saying it has already made $42M in pre-sales.

Then the first 15-20 minutes from the film were shown. Reportedly the footage showed America Chavez using her portal to escape a fight with Doctor Strange and Shuma-Gorath (aka Gargantos), instead bringing it into our main MCU…during Christine Palmer’s wedding. This leads to an epic shot of Strange switching into costume and diving out to help. There’s also a Spider-Man joke.

Lots happens to Doctor Strange—to multiple Doctor Stranges—in new Multiverse Of Madness scenes
By Todd Gilchrist   April 27, 2022
https://www.avclub.com/doctor-strange-2-cinemacon-footage-sam-raimi-recap-1848850746 

Without spoiling too much—and indeed, much of the most important information is in the film’s title—Multiverse Of Madness opens in a universe that isn’t our own. There’s a Doctor Strange (Benedict Cumberbatch) there, paired with a young woman named America Chavez (Xochitl Gomez) whose powers hold an important key to connecting the multiverses. After first appearing in our Doctor Strange’s dreams, she later shows up in the streets outside of the wedding of Strange’s ex-girlfriend Christine Palmer (Rachel McAdams), where America is being chased by a giant, octopus-like being from one of those other universes.

Strange and Wong (Benedict Wong) intervene and rescue the young woman, but have a number of questions, starting with why she appeared in his dreams, and what her powers are that make her so valuable to giant, slimy aliens like the one they just took down. In the course of the conversation with America, Strange and Wong recognize that the symbols on the beast they fought were actually runes, which suggests witchcraft—leading him to seek out Wanda Maximoff, who’s wrestling with dreams of her own that she desperately wants fulfilled.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
(edited)

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: Xochitl Gomez on Embodying America Chavez and Journeying into the Marvel Cinematic Universe
BY CHRISTINE DINH    April 27, 2022
https://www.marvel.com/articles/movies/xochitl-gomez-america-chavez-mcu-doctor-strange-multiverse-of-madness-interview?linkId=162679694 

Speaking exclusively to Marvel.com, Xochitl Gomez details her journey into the mind-bending MCU with Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness.

Recalling the moment her universe would open up in a gargantuan scale, Gomez shares how her agent Stella Alex “tricked” her by having her log onto Zoom to show her something two days after she returned home from testing in the UK. “Once I logged on, Stella was on the phone with [casting director] Sarah Finn,” shares Gomez. “She said she had something big to tell me, and said, ‘Xochitl, welcome to the MCU! You are America Chavez.’ I was so shocked and frozen. It took me a couple weeks to process the news.”

On the casting process and finding their ideal America Chavez, Victoria Alonso, President, Physical and Post Production, Visual Effects, and Animation Production at Marvel Studios, and the film’s executive producer, explains, “We went through a very extensive search process with the Sarah Finn Company and her team, and after meeting with hundreds and hundreds of young women, we landed on Xochitl – who was the best choice for the character.”
Upon discovery that she would be introducing America Chavez to the MCU, Gomez dove straight into the comics and “instantly fell in love with her,” noting her character’s confidence as a stand-out trait and just “a total baddie.” Gomez loves how the filmmakers were at times loyal to the comics, but also presented a new introduction to the fan-favorite character by making her 14 years old, younger than the character has been seen in the comics, in Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness. 
On the significance of America Chavez’s presence in the MCU, Alonso reveals, “This character was important to me for many personal reasons, but also because it was important that we make the effort to have every kid in this world represented in our universe, and she represents both the LGBTQ+ and Latinx community. It’s the type of character I’ve been waiting to see us have since we started this journey with Iron Man back in 2008. I’m so happy she is part of the MCU family, and I know she will be a great addition.”
As for America Chavez’s introduction into the MCU, Gomez teases that the film opens with her “literally running for her life in the gap junction space between universes with Doctor Strange.”

In the MCU, America Chavez is a young girl from outside of our Multiverse – specifically, the Utopian Parallel, a singular dimension unlike anything we’ve ever known. America is being hunted for her power – the ability to open star-shaped holes in reality, allowing her to travel through the Multiverse and into other realities. 

America opened her first portal as a child, and has spent years traveling through the Multiverse since she first fell into a universe that bears a resemblance to ours. During her accidental travels, she’s traveled across 72 universes, on a journey to find control over her powers. 

Speaking more broadly, Gomez shares, “America’s journey is about learning to trust others. My take is that America can always trust herself since she was alone for so long and she’s a survivor. Her journey is about allowing others to help her be what she’s capable of.”
Marvel Studios and Gomez were quick to note that Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness is not America Chavez’s origin story. We’re just scratching the surface on who this Multiversal traveler is, and the hope is to show more of who America is in future stories.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)

Here's an IMDb sneak peek...

Doctor Strange Battles Gargantos in Exclusive 'Multiverse of Madness' Clip
IMDb    Apr 28, 2022

There was also a new Marvel Studios TV spot that included glimpses of Professor Xavier's wheelchair, Captain Carter and a Captain Marvel Variant, but that video has been deleted by Marvel - here are two articles describing what was seen in that video...

Doctor Strange 2 Reveals First Look at Patrick Stewart's X-Men Hoverchair
By Richard Nebens   April 28, 2022
https://thedirect.com/article/doctor-strange-2-patrick-stewart-x-men-hoverchair-footage

Marvel Studios released a 15-second TV spot for Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness that showed a new tease for Patrick Stewart's Professor X.

The very end of the clip features a shot of Charles Xavier moving forward in his classic yellow hoverchair that originated in Marvel Comics. Professor X can also be heard saying "we will see what kind of Doctor Strange you are."
xavier.png
Update: the full promo has now been removed by Marvel Studios.

First Footage of Hayley Atwell’s Captain Carter in Doctor Strange 2 Released
By Klein Felt    April 28, 2022
https://thedirect.com/article/doctor-strange-2-hayley-atwell-captain-carter-footage 

After being confirmed to appear in the film, fans have their first glimpse of Hayley Atwell's Captain Carter in Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness as a part of a new teaser.
Carter's alternate universe Avenger is seen jumping away from Wanda Maximoff, and even though her face isn't shown, she wields the same shield she did in her animated debut.
*  *  * captaincarter.png
Another shot also revealed a clearer look at the Captain Marvel Variant in the film, who seems to be Lashana Lynch’s Maria Rambeau.
cm1.png
Update: the full promo has now been removed by Marvel Studios.

ETA: 
Of course, that deleted TV spot had already been saved and re-posted by others...

Doctor Strange In The Multiverse Of Madness “The Illuminati” TV Spot
TheUniverseOfMarvel   Apr 28, 2022

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, tv echo said:

First Footage of Hayley Atwell’s Captain Carter in Doctor Strange 2 Released
By Klein Felt    April 28, 2022
https://thedirect.com/article/doctor-strange-2-hayley-atwell-captain-carter-footage 

Spoiler

Oh God, I wasn't hoping she wouldn't be in the movie. I loathed that Captain Carter stuff in What If; I'm sick of them turning Peggy into a Special Snowflake that's apparently going to wind up upstaging Wanda and America.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:
  Reveal spoiler

Oh God, I wasn't hoping she wouldn't be in the movie. I loathed that Captain Carter stuff in What If; I'm sick of them turning Peggy into a Special Snowflake that's apparently going to wind up upstaging Wanda and America.

Me as well. Not thrilled about this at all. 

45 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

So, I guess we should at least read a synopsis of the What If? stories.

My plan is to rewatch the New Rockstars Easter egg videos. I didn't make it past the first 3 or so episodes of What If and watched those in place of the actual show. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Just watch the Party Thor episode, that was the only good one.

I saw the first one, Party Thor, and my son wanted me to watch the Dr. Strange episode (which, coincidentally, is the only one I really remember).  I asked because my son said that he saw another reference (Not Haley Atwell) in the trailer. 

The first promo is the one that Marvel previously posted and then deleted but has again posted now...

Marvel Studios' Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness | Illuminati
Marvel Entertainment   Apr 29, 2022

Marvel Studios’ Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness | Wanda Returns Featurette

Marvel Studios’ Legends | Watch New Episodes Now | Disney+

19 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

I saw the first one, Party Thor, and my son wanted me to watch the Dr. Strange episode (which, coincidentally, is the only one I really remember).  I asked because my son said that he saw another reference (Not Haley Atwell) in the trailer. 

Maybe Zombie Strange. All you really need to know about that one is that almost everyone turned into zombies. 

I doubt that any of them will be required viewing for MoM. It might add more details but everything that matters should be explained in the movie just like it was in No Way Home. After all the characters don’t know what happened in What If? and it will need it to be explained to them. 

11 hours ago, Dani said:

I doubt that any of them will be required viewing for MoM. It might add more details but everything that matters should be explained in the movie just like it was in No Way Home. After all the characters don’t know what happened in What If? and it will need it to be explained to them.

I hope you are right. I gave up on What If...? after 2 episodes. It honestly just felt like fan fiction inspired by the events of the Loki series and I told myself because it is animated if won't have any real connection to the MCU. But with the appearance of Captain Carter I guess I was wrong. At this stage, I'm not totally in love with the Multiverse concept for the MCU, but I'm happy to hold off my final judgement until after MoM

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Dani said:

Maybe Zombie Strange. All you really need to know about that one is that almost everyone turned into zombies. 

My son is pretty sure he saw Ultron's Army, too 

8 hours ago, Bill1978 said:

I hope you are right. I gave up on What If...? after 2 episodes. It honestly just felt like fan fiction inspired by the events of the Loki series and I told myself because it is animated if won't have any real connection to the MCU. But with the appearance of Captain Carter I guess I was wrong. At this stage, I'm not totally in love with the Multiverse concept for the MCU, but I'm happy to hold off my final judgement until after MoM

I don't think they'd be dumb enough to attach any of the MCU movies to a Disney+ show so heavily that people would be lost if they didn't see the series, I was just wondering if there would enough of a connection that it would be an advantage to at least being familiar with What If? I'm sure it'll be fine without any knowledge of it at all. 

(edited)

Marvel Studios' Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness | Change
Marvel Entertainmet     May 1, 2022

Benedict Cumberbatch reveals Doctor Strange 2 and What If's variants are different
By Jordan Farley Contributions from Bradley Russell   Published 3 days ago
https://www.gamesradar.com/doctor-strange-2-strange-supreme-variant-what-if/

Yes, the variants will come thick and fast in The Multiverse Of Madness, with trailers revealing that, alongside the Sacred Timeline Strange, we’ll also see Benedict Cumberbatch as a combat-ready Defender Strange, a clean-shaven Supreme Strange and a corrupted Sinister Strange.

Many were quick to point out the similarities between the darker Sinister Strange and the Strange Supreme who features in episode four of Disney Plus' animated series What If...?, but Cumberbatch confirms that his Sinister Steve "is nothing that you’ve seen before. What If...? is a beautiful riff of a potential. And this is something different."

On what other multiverse-shaped surprises lay in wait for Marvel fans, Cumberbatch jokes, "There are five Spider-Men in this film. Spider-Women, too. And Spider- Everythings! No, we don’t. I will confirm or deny nothing!"

Director Sam Raimi, on the other hand, offers an honest assessment to counter increasingly out-of-control expectations. 

"I don’t think anything can rival the surprise in a Spider-Man movie of having the previous two Spider-Men appear with the current one. I mean, I don’t think we’re going to top them on that!" he says. "But our film does have other surprises and other interesting revelations."

Doctor Strange 2 Star Reveals If Mordo Survived Thanos’ Snap
By Aeron Mer Eclarinal    May 1, 2022
https://thedirect.com/article/doctor-strange-2-thanos-snap

Chiwetel Ejiofor sat down with Total Film to talk about Baron Mordo's MCU journey after the events of the first Doctor Strange movie. 

When asked if Mordo became a victim of Thanos' snap, Ejiofor confirmed that Mordo "wasn't part of the Snap's 'away' group," pointing out that the former Kamar-Taj sorcerer "was definitely engaged in that time."

The MCU actor then shared that those intervening years haven't opened Mordo's eyes to Strange's way of thinking, saying: 

“That break with Strange has implications."
“The concerns in the MCU have all expanded, but in some ways [Mordo’s] concerns have gathered momentum. The nature of what he has been talking about has come to pass, in many ways. I think it’s a totally justified quest, and we’ll continue to see this dichotomy between somebody who is still holding a fraternal connection to Stephen Strange, and somebody who does think about the bigger picture.”

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness - Elizabeth Olsen on crossover excitement & what's next
HeyUGuys   Apr 30, 2022

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness - Benedict Cumberbatch teases 'scariest Mavel Movie yet'
HeyUGuys   Apr 30, 2022

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness - Benedict Wong on Sam Raimi's horror influence & more
HeyUGuys   Apr 30, 2022

Edited by tv echo
1 hour ago, supposebly said:

So, do I have to watch Wandavision to enjoy this?

To understand Wanda’s part, probably.

Spoiler

I read some of the reviews and it is starting to look like that spoiler on Reddit regarding Wanda being the villain was true. I’m getting so sick of the MCU’s sexist bullshit.

8 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Hide contents

I read some of the reviews and it is starting to look like that spoiler on Reddit regarding Wanda being the villain was true. I’m getting so sick of the MCU’s sexist bullshit.

There is one sentence in the AV Club review that makes me not want to touch the movie with a ten foot pole.  

Spoiler

"Wanda finds herself at odds with Strange, Wong, and the disciples of their spiritual practice—especially when she decides that she will do anything, including kill America, in order to achieve her goal."

Wanda's goal is getting her kids back, but somehow she's going to be a villain who would consider murdering another child while Tony is lauded in Endgame for crafting a solution to Thanos's snap that allows for his child to remain while opening up a whole host of problems for everyone else.  

• Love 1
(edited)
Spoiler

Reading both those does not excite me at all. I was looking forward to this movie a lot until all the Wanda speculation a few months back. Now I'm wary. 

And honestly, kinda angry because the multiverse could be a SUPER cool and exciting thing to introduce but it sounds like it will come with a side of sexist bullshit. 

Reveal spoiler

2 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

There is one sentence in the AV Club review that makes me not want to touch the movie with a ten foot pole.  

Reveal spoiler

"Wanda finds herself at odds with Strange, Wong, and the disciples of their spiritual practice—especially when she decides that she will do anything, including kill America, in order to achieve her goal."

Wanda's goal is getting her kids back, but somehow she's going to be a villain who would consider murdering another child while Tony is lauded in Endgame for crafting a solution to Thanos's snap that allows for his child to remain while opening up a whole host of problems for everyone else.  

Edited by Jenniferbug
  • Love 3

They haven't even addressed the part where  the people who actually knew Wanda abandoned her, and yes I will be pissed until the end of time if I feel like it. With the exceptions of Natasha for obvious reasons and Clint because I can see where Barton would not have wanted to leave his family right after getting them back, the people who knew what she went through suddenly had more important things to do; Steve so he could go live some bullshit fantasy life and Sam was off holding Bucky's hand. Because Barnes matters and Wanda doesn't. Not they're going to cap it off by having her trying to kill America Chavez, who she doesn't even know, and all because no one cares where she is or how she is until they fucking need her for something? What is this horseshit?!

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Hide contents

They haven't even addressed the part where  the people who actually knew Wanda abandoned her, and yes I will be pissed until the end of time if I feel like it. With the exceptions of Natasha for obvious reasons and Clint because I can see where Barton would not have wanted to leave his family right after getting them back, the people who knew what she went through suddenly had more important things to do; Steve so he could go live some bullshit fantasy life and Sam was off holding Bucky's hand. Because Barnes matters and Wanda doesn't. Not they're going to cap it off by having her trying to kill America Chavez, who she doesn't even know, and all because no one cares where she is or how she is until they fucking need her for something? What is this horseshit?!

Spoiler

They’re doing to Wanda what they did to Sharon. At least Wanda actually had some character development before they blew it all to hell.

I’m still vainly hoping this won’t end the way the way I fear it will, but I’m still pissed.

• Love 3

The movie is out. I just came from the theater. So be warned, I'm going to talk about what I saw:

First of all I had heard that Wanda would be a villian in this movie but I didn't think she would be the only villian for the whole thing. I thought there would be another main villian and she would get corrupted later. Nope, fully insane and evil from the start.

I think this is the first time where you have to have seen a Marvel TV show for context. The whole movie is about Wanda wanting to get her boys back and without the show, her having kids will come hard out of left field. Also apparently they are real in every other universe. Only in the prime universe were they constructs. Which is weird, since I'm pretty sure the whole Wandavision show happened before the universe split into a multiverse, because he who remains and the TVA purged all other universes. For that matter, America shouldn't have been able to send her parents into other universes, because there were no other universes. Oh well, wibbely wobbely timey wimey, I guess.

The Bruce Campbell cameo surprised me. I had totally forgotten that Ramey directed this movie. With Stan Lee sadly being dead, Campbell is a worthy replacement, imo. Speaking of Ramey, when I googled the film I saw quite a few headlines saying "Marvel made a horror movie". I can't help but laugh at that. This was your standard Marvel flick with some added weird imagery, not much more and even that was weirder in the first Dr. Strange movie. This isn't even Horror by kids-standards. Not that I'm complaining, I think Horror is boring as hell, but come on, Agents of SHIELD had far more disturbing stuff than this movie. It's the same as with moon night. All the marketing beforehand said how it was dark and gritty and wouldn't hold back on the violence and then it's the same PG-13 stuff as always, where they cut away from the real violence. I don't even mind it, I just don't like being lied to.

It was nice to see Patrick Stewart reprise an old role and that character actually feeling and acting like the old character, even though he is an alternate universe version. With Picard, it's basically a whole different person he's playing. Only complaint is, that Wanda killed him a bit fast for the insanely powerfull telepath he is. I know the Scarlet Witch is immensly powerfull, but in her mind, they should have been at least evenly matched. That would have been a fun opportunity for a fight scene that isn't constraint by the physical world.

Also nice to see Captain Carter again. Way too short sadly. I hope we get to see another version of her, for longer next time.

I really don't give a sh*t about Dr. Strange's love life and what's her face. At the beginning of the movie I was confused for a bit, because I thought she had died in the car crash, but that was a What If?. Speaking of that, would have been fun if we had included the eldritch-pocket-dimension-Strange. That might have made for some actual horror potential... The Darkhold-Strange just didn't do it for me. The eldritch-Strange was waaaay more unsettling.

I think they really should have brought Agatha back to help fight Wanda at the end. I mean what doesn't get better by including Kathryn Hahn?! Movie? Yes! Party? Yes! Salsa Sauce? Yes!

Zombie-Strange was really fun though.

The resolution then was really meh. Wanda is cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs the whole movie, but 5 seconds of showing her, that her alternate universe kids are afraid of her, makes her realise that she has become a monster, killed countless people and now she is destroying the Darkhold in every universe and dropping a temple on her head? Yeah sure writers, sure. At least, if she is really dead, she did some penance this time. In contrast to the ending of Wandavision, where she had enslaved a whole town for weeks, all of them suffering so much that they wanted the sweet release of death and then at the end, instead of getting thrown in prison for her crimes, even got a pep talk "they'll never know what you gave up for them". That was truely sickening.

Overall a good Marvel Movie. I'd say more towards the middle than the top though...

• Useful 2
  • Love 5

I’m still vainly hoping this won’t end the way the way I fear it will, but I’m still pissed.

Sorry, but it pretty much ended up as you feared.

I also don't think her motivation made much sense. As America could have just sent her to a universe with her kids and (almost) everybody would have been happy. But I guess I can fanwank it with the darkhold having corrupted her mind, so that she wasn't thinking clearly anymore. But that makes the ending even dumber...

• Love 3

Quick question @Zonk and I'll put in spoilers just in case

Spoiler

So no closer to a Young Avengers project? From your recap it doesn't sound like the twins have been aged up to the rest of the crew that has been introduced in other properties. I was hoping by the end of this movie they would have become teenagers.

Having slept on it, this movie makes less and less sense. Wanda is the Scarlet witch. She can create matter from nothing. Why does she have to invade other universes? She could just make her sons again. She did so before. Sure that was in a moment of intense grief and on instinct, but all through this movie Strange was telling America that the multiverse travel she did on instinct was in her control all along and she just needed to be confident in herself. Are we dropping this theme when it comes to Wanda?

Also she's way more powerfull now than she was in Westview.

The only counterargument I could see is that those newly created kids wouldn't be quite the same as hers, but the same goes for her kids in other universes and that doesn't seem to bother her.

There is literally no reason for her to invade another universe. Just do the same spell you did in Westview, only this time without including anybody else.

2 hours ago, Bill1978 said:

Quick question @Zonk and I'll put in spoilers just in case

Reveal spoiler

So no closer to a Young Avengers project? From your recap it doesn't sound like the twins have been aged up to the rest of the crew that has been introduced in other properties. I was hoping by the end of this movie they would have become teenagers.

Since the movie is out I'm not going to use spoiler tags. I think that gets too messy over time.

The kids are still about the same age they were in Wandavision. Was even surprised how little those actors had aged. Guess it wasn't actually that long ago. The pandemic makes my sense of time screwey. Also they were left in the other universe and didn't seem to have any powers.

1 hour ago, SparedTurkey said:
  Hide contents

So Wanda is dead? If so, I'm out of the MCU for sure

Well, it's always hard to say for sure when you don't see a body. She dropped a temple on herself in an act of penance. In a bit of retconing the temple was the real darkhold and the book was just a transcription. That somehow destroyed the Darkhold in every universe.

• Love 5
(edited)

From world premiere red carpet on May 2...

Elizabeth Olsen on Becoming The Scarlet Witch! | Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness
Marvel Entertainment    May 2, 2022

Benedict Cumberbatch on the Many Versions of Doctor Strange! | Red Carpet LIVE!

Sam Raimi Returns to Marvel! | Marvel Studios’ Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness

Kevin Feige Talks Finally Entering the Multiverse of Madness

Rachel McAdams RETURNS as Dr. Christine Palmer!

Benedict Wong On the Responsibility of Being Sorcerer Supreme

Xochitl Gomez and Victoria Alonso Talk America Chavez's MCU Debut!

You can also watch the entire live red carpet video here or a red carpet best moments video here.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness currently has a Rotten Tomatoes score of 80% (based on 150 critics' reviews)...
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/doctor_strange_in_the_multiverse_of_madness

‘Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness’ First Reactions Praise Director Sam Raimi’s ‘Brilliant Mind’
By Zack Sharf, J. Kim Murphy    May 2, 2022
https://variety.com/2022/film/news/doctor-strange-in-the-multiverse-of-madness-first-reactions-1235255717/ 

DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS FIRST REVIEWS: THE DARKEST, WEIRDEST, MOST HORROR-INSPIRED MCU FILM YET
CRITICS SAY ELIZABETH OLSEN STEALS THE SHOW AND SAM RAIMI REACHES BACK INTO HIS HORROR BAG TO DELIVER A VISUALLY SPECTACULAR, SURPRISINGLY VIOLENT ENTRY IN THE MCU.
by Christopher Campbell | May 3, 2022 |
https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/doctor-strange-in-the-multiverse-of-madness-first-reviews/

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness first reactions have landed
BY IAN SANDWELL   MAY 3, 2022
https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a39860096/doctor-strange-2-first-reactions-multiverse-of-madness/

DOES DOCTOR STRANGE 2 HAVE A POST-CREDITS SCENE? HERE’S WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW.
GABRIELLE BONDI     MAY 4, 2022
https://www.inverse.com/entertainment/doctor-strange-2-credits-scene-spoiler-free 

Danny Elfman - Main Titles (From "Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness"/Audio Only)
MarvelMusicVEVO   May 4, 2022

Multiverse of Madness (From "Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness"/Audio Only)
MarvelMusicVEVO   May 4, 2022

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

A few more thoughts: It sure was convenient that Professor X only invaded Wanda's mind once all the rest of the Illuminati were dead. Otherwise they could have dismantled her 10 times over in the time he had locked her in place. What was he doing in the meantime? Playing on his phone?

Also the leader of the inhumans blowing his own brains out just because he didn't have a mouth was a bit stupid. Either he is resistant to his own powers or he would have been dead the moment he first used them. There is no way for the sound waves not to resonate in his body.

I really don't mean to be so negative, but sadly this film falls more and more apart the more you think about it. Still a fun romp, though.

1 hour ago, tv echo said:

DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS FIRST REVIEWS: THE DARKEST, WEIRDEST, MOST HORROR-INSPIRED MCU FILM YET

SAM RAIMI REACHES BACK INTO HIS HORROR BAG TO DELIVER A VISUALLY SPECTACULAR, SURPRISINGLY VIOLENT ENTRY IN THE MCU.

So they are sticking with this horror-bullshit, huh? Really makes me wonder if some of these critics are paid off by Disney or if they just glom onto a catchy narrative for clicks.

Edited by Zonk
  • Useful 2
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, Twilight Man said:

So, without further ado, here he is.

Reveal spoiler

it's Reed Richards, aka Mr. Fantastic   in the MCU.

That is an alternate universe version of him though. The illuminati had Captain Carter instead of Captain america, an alternate version of captain Marvel, Mordo as sorcerer supreme and Prof X, who wasn't in the Marvel universe before either.
That isn't to say that the actor isn't going to be Reed Richards in the prime universe. In fact I think it's likely. Part of the Illuminate was also Anson Mount as Black Bolt and he did play that character in the Prime universe (the show was just so attrocious that everybody has tried to forget it). Just don't assume it's 100% confirmation.

• Love 2
(edited)

Marvel Studios’ Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness | Final Trailer
Marvel Entertainment   May 4, 2022

A Look at the Elaborate Costumes from Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness

Screenwriter Michael Waldron on Working with Sam Raimi!

Sam Raimi on ‘Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness' and His Much Longer First Cut
BY STEVE WEINTRAUB    MAY 4, 2022
https://collider.com/sam-raimi-doctor-strange-2-multiverse-of-madness-first-cut-deleted-scenes/ 

I know the movie's like two hours, five minutes, two, 10, I don't know the exact thing. Did you have a much longer cut that you brought to that? I'm always curious about first cuts and that kind kind of stuff.
RAIMI:
Well, the first cut was I actually don't remember the length of it. It was probably like two hours and 40 minutes, and it slowly came down even though we did the reshoots. We took out material even though the reshoots went in. So, it slowly got down to about two hours and five minutes is the total.

Q&A: Sam Raimi on ‘Doctor Strange’ and his superhero return
By JAKE COYLE   MAY 4, 2022
https://apnews.com/article/entertainment-arts-and-movies-sam-raimi-4302dd5f31479247e18c2385b80a66da 

AP: This film bears many hallmarks of your work: Bruce Campbell, a book of the dead and even, briefly, shots from a demon’s point-of-view. Do you feel like you smuggled a Sam Raimi film into a Marvel movie?
RAIMI:
I was really trying to make a Marvel movie, first and foremost. I guess everyone does things their own way, without trying to specifically make it something other than what it was. I was really just trying to follow the characters from the previous Marvel movies and storylines from “Wandavision” had led into and where all the “Avengers” movies had led into. But also try to open up the multiverse as Marvel had requested of writer Michael Waldron for future adventures.

AP: Do you feel that these films, like any other kind, should bear the fingerprints of their filmmakers?
RAIMI:
I think the first responsibility is to tell the story of those characters because this is, like, episode 27. But I think it’s great that filmmakers can do it from their own perspective as long as they’re working within the Marvel box, basically. And it’s a very big sandbox to play in. What they do at Marvel is they really protect the integrity of the characters. So long as you’re doing that and as long as you’re aware of the story elements so you don’t disappoint the fans, I think it’s great that filmmakers in the Marvel Universe exercise their personality and style and tell the story with their own sense of panache.

Edited by tv echo
On 5/3/2022 at 11:06 PM, Zonk said:

Which is weird, since I'm pretty sure the whole Wandavision show happened before the universe split into a multiverse, because he who remains and the TVA purged all other universes. For that matter, America shouldn't have been able to send her parents into other universes, because there were no other universes. Oh well, wibbely wobbely timey wimey, I guess.

The TVA never purged all other universes, just ones that diverted too much from allowed specifications; but in any case, once Immortus was dead the effects were retroactive.

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, SeanC said:

The TVA never purged all other universes, just ones that diverted too much from allowed specifications; but in any case, once Immortus was dead the effects were retroactive.

The TVA always purged all other universes. There was only one universe. That was the whole point of the TVA.

1 hour ago, Zonk said:

The TVA always purged all other universes. There was only one universe. That was the whole point of the TVA.

No, there were always many universes, they just weren't allowed to depart too much from certain prescribed characteristics (i.e., things that would lead to the emergence of other versions of Nathaniel Richards). Hence why, e.g., Sylvie's universe gets pruned when she shows heroic traits.

• Love 4

Spoilers ahead:

Even though this is a Doctor Strange movie, Elizabeth Olsen really stole the show. I got chills when Wanda looks straight into the camera, basically breaking the fourth wall and when she was limping like a zombie as she followed Strange, Christine, and America through the tunnels. Wanda destroying the Illuminati while barely breaking a sweat was bonkers. My jaw was on the floor when she sent Peggy's own shield straight through her. Holy shit. Also I'm still confused as to when she even got her hands on the Darkhold. She didn't have it when she flew out of Westview. Did she go back for it or what?

I appreciated the way it brought in scenes from WandaVision, like when Wanda was tucking the kids into bed, and when she was trapped under the rubble and a t.v. was still playing. 

I felt bad for both Strange and Christine when he said he'd always love her. Sadly, they seem destined to be apart in every universe. 

Strange and his new third eye courtesy of the Darkhold is going to be a problem.

I really don't think Wanda is dead. In the MCU, if you don't see a body, they're not dead. And sometimes even if you do.

On 5/4/2022 at 7:00 AM, Zonk said:

The kids are still about the same age they were in Wandavision. Was even surprised how little those actors had aged. Guess it wasn't actually that long ago. The pandemic makes my sense of time screwey. 

WandaVision and MoM filmed pretty much back-to-back. I remember Elizabeth Olsen saying in an interview that she wrapped WV mid-week and like two days later she was getting on a plane to go film this movie. The pandemic really screwed up the timing for a lot of MCU projects. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 7

Watched the movie this evening.  Thought it was good, not great.  Elizabeth Olsen gave a fantastic performance as Wanda, but the character was rendered two-dimensional to a painful degree.  It's funny that in interviews, Elizabeth Olsen doesn't even pretend that Wanda died at the end, because everyone knows that she didn't. 

Odd that there seemed to be no alternate universes where Vision lived.  Also, I'm wondering if at some point Wanda (when she inevitably returns) will see a picture of Maria Rambeau and realize that she killed an alternate version of Monica's mom.

At the end of the movie, what did alt-universe Wanda say to Scarlet Witch Wanda as she put her hand on the latter's face?  I missed it.

• Like 1
  • Love 7

This was, without a doubt, my least favorite Marvel movie. Every shitty rumor/spoiler turned out to be true except the Tom Cruise one.

I hate the horror genre, and I hate that they sacrificed Wanda (both character-wise and literally) so that Raimi could pretty much recreate The Evil Dead. All that was missing were rapey trees and an evil sentient hand (and for a brief moment I thought they were going there when the demons came after Strange and Zombie Strange and the hand started contorting).

Mordo was underused and completely pointless. What about 616’s Mordo from the first movie? Is he still out there stealing magic from those he deems unworthy?

With a movie about the multiverse I expected way more surprise appearances than the Illuminati, half of which went out like jobbers. I was a little surprised they’d bring back Anson Mount’s Black Bolt, but I’m guessing taking him out the way they did was Feige giving a fuck you to Perlmutter and his pet project The Inhumans.

I don’t think I can even get into the Wanda BS. Total character annihilation so that Raimi could get his horror movie. And like Ikaris from Eternals, way too OP by the end, so Marvel has take the character off the board.

If we do get a Young Avengers down the road (and it seems that we will), I’m starting to think Tommy and Billy will not be part of it. This seemed to close the WandaVision story, even though presumably The Vision is still… somewhere.

Dr. Strange now has a third eye like his variant. Gross.

I had a feeling once I saw Bruce Campbell that Raimi would use his buddy for a wasted after credits scene. As for the mid credits scene, apparently 

Spoiler

Charlize is playing Clea, so that might be interesting

For the sake of saying something positive, I did like America Chavez. Interesting that she’s training. Maybe she’ll encounter Ned one day and teach him some new tricks. 

• Love 8
6 hours ago, dmeets said:

I don’t think I can even get into the Wanda BS. Total character annihilation so that Raimi could get his horror movie.

Marvel directors are all basically hired guns, and Raimi wasn’t even the first director on this film. All the larger character trajectories, etc. would have come from Feige and co.

• Love 4

This really felt like one giant middle finger to everyone that got emotionally invested in WandaVision. I didn’t think anything could piss me off more than The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, but congratulations MCU, you’ve outdone yourself again.

Wanda had her villain arc, but when she saw the damage she was (unintentionally) doing to the Westview residents, she was horrified: “That’s not me.” She did the right thing and undid the spell, even though it broke her heart for the millionth time, and vowed to learn to harness her problems so something like that would never happen again. We’re supposed to believe she just kinda forgot about all that and went straight to murder? Even if the dark book was corrupting her, it felt like cheap and lazy writing.

Bringing back Patrick Stewart just for that?! Unforgivable. Though I won’t lie I wasn’t sad to see Captain Carter go.

47 minutes ago, SeanC said:

All the larger character trajectories, etc. would have come from Feige and co.

Which begs the question: did Feige watch GOT and go “I bet I can ruin way more female characters, and people will still love the MCU”? Because that’s what it’s starting to feel like.

So thanks, I hate it.

• Love 10
10 hours ago, SeanC said:

No, there were always many universes, they just weren't allowed to depart too much from certain prescribed characteristics (i.e., things that would lead to the emergence of other versions of Nathaniel Richards). Hence why, e.g., Sylvie's universe gets pruned when she shows heroic traits.

I advise you to watch Loki again. Kang the Conqueror He who Remains decided to destroy all other universes because otherwise they would inevitably go to war with each other. It was not about them being too different. It's just that divergences create new universes.

There was exactly one sacred timeline/universe. I don't get how there could be any misunderstand about that.

(edited)

Marvel Studios’ Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness | Now Playing
Marvel Entertainment   May 5, 2022

Benedict Cumberbatch, Elizabeth Olsen and Sam Raimi responded to fan questions on twitter yesterday - here are a few of their responses:

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Doctor Strange 2 Post-Credits Explained: Who Is [________]?
By Liam Crowley   May 6, 2022
The Direct article link 

Spoiler

While Strange is perusing the New York City streets, he is overcome with terror and collapses to his knees. The sorcerer then jolts up, opening a new third eye on his forehead. The repercussions from his Darkhold usage don't end there, as Strange is confronted by a debuting A-Lister in the film's first post credits scene.
The Sorceress Supreme has arrived.

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness sent fans into the scrolling credits with the first Marvel Cinematic Universe appearance of Clea, played by Charlize Theron. The atomic blonde-haired magic user dropped a bombshell on Strange by noting he caused an "incursion," before asking that he join her down the fury road into the Dark Dimension.
For starters, the journey she's setting Stephen on likely pulls the good doctor away from the MCU for the time being. Moving Strange into a Dark Dimension adventure indicates that the inevitable Doctor Strange 3 will return the franchise to its roots, in that it will probably be a contained magical quest that happens in the shadows of the human world.
As for Clea herself, this is a comic character that wears plenty of hats. On the page, Clea has been Doctor Strange's student, significant other, and even successor. She is the offspring of Prince Orini and Umar, the sister of Dormammu, making her the niece of the Doctor Strange (2016) villain. Unlike the Nebulas and Shang-Chis of the world, Clea does not hate her villainous parents: she embraces it. Clea worships Dormammu and even becomes the Sorcerer Supreme of the Dark Dimension.

Despite her mob ties, Clea is not all evil. As mentioned, she eventually falls in love with Doctor Strange after betraying Dormammu. Without a dimension to call home, Strange would take Clea under his wing in New York City. The good doctor would even teach Clea his mystical ways at the Sanctum Sanctorum, and when he eventually met his end, Clea would take his place as Earth's Sorcerer Supreme. She would even honor her late lover's memory by adopting the Strange surname.
As noted above, Clea claims the events of Multiverse of Madness caused an "incursion." For fans of Marvel comics, this word should pop as much as "Multiverse" or "Avenger." On the page, incursions are a collision of two Earths. They are triggered when one universe's character kills his or her own Variant. The first Marvel Comics incursion occurred when one unknown universe's Molecule Man was killed by Earth-616's Molecule Man.

In Doctor Strange 2, Earth-616's Doctor Strange kills Sinister Strange, impaling the evil iteration on a fence outside the Sanctum Sanctorum. If the MCU's incursions have the same definition as they do in the comics, Marvel fans could be looking at a colossal consequence come Doctor Strange 3.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

Watched it last night. It was ok but not that great. I did think Elizabeth Olson did a good job. When she took out the Illuminati and chased after Strange, America and Christine in the tunnels, I was actually scared of her. 

John Krasinski got a cheer in our theater when he showed up.

My LOL line was when Wong climbed up the side of the mountain, saw Zombie Strange fighting with Wanda and said: "I don't even want to know" in an exasperated way.

8 hours ago, Brn2bwild said:

At the end of the movie, what did alt-universe Wanda say to Scarlet Witch Wanda as she put her hand on the latter's face?  I missed it.

I think she said: "They will always be loved"

46 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Wanda had her villain arc, but when she saw the damage she was (unintentionally) doing to the Westview residents, she was horrified: “That’s not me.” She did the right thing and undid the spell, even though it broke her heart for the millionth time, and vowed to learn to harness her problems so something like that would never happen again. We’re supposed to believe she just kinda forgot about all that and went straight to murder? Even if the dark book was corrupting her, it felt like cheap and lazy writing.

WandaVision was my favorite of the Disney+ shows so I was disappointed in this as well. I also don't understand how she has kids in every universe except this one?

• Love 8
58 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Maybe if somebody had actually held her accountable. But instead she got a speech from Monica Rambeau about how stunning and brave she was, for torturing a whole town for weeks, to the point that they wanted death, instead of having to continue in that nightmare.

Wanda tortured thousands of people for weeks and then just flew away. Not even trying to make it up to them. We saw how economically depressed that town was. She is the Scarlet Witch and can make matter from nothing. Would it have been too much to ask to leave them a pile of gold or vibranium in at least an attempt to make amends and pay reparations? Not to mention the years she should have spent in prison for her crimes.

That is a deeply selfish person who doesn't consider others for a second and is just going through the motions of "being good", because she thinks that's what she should be. So it's absolutely consistent characterisation that she'll walk over corpses if that is what she has to do to get what she wants.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Zonk said:

I advise you to watch Loki again. Kang the Conqueror He who Remains decided to destroy all other universes because otherwise they would inevitably go to war with each other. It was not about them being too different. It's just that divergences create new universes.

There was exactly one sacred timeline/universe. I don't get how there could be any misunderstand about that.

No, there wasn’t. The “Sacred Timeline” was a multiverse carefully managed to avoid the creation of rival Kangs. The show’s presentation of this was somewhat confusing linguistically, but there were always multiple universes; that’s why the various pruned Lokis had all done something that strayed too far from their prescribed path.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Zonk said:

Maybe if somebody had actually held her accountable. But instead she got a speech from Monica Rambeau about how stunning and brave she was, for torturing a whole town for weeks, to the point that they wanted death, instead of having to continue in that nightmare.

Wanda tortured thousands of people for weeks and then just flew away. Not even trying to make it up to them. We saw how economically depressed that town was. She is the Scarlet Witch and can make matter from nothing. Would it have been too much to ask to leave them a pile of gold or vibranium in at least an attempt to make amends and pay reparations? Not to mention the years she should have spent in prison for her crimes.

That is a deeply selfish person who doesn't consider others for a second and is just going through the motions of "being good", because she thinks that's what she should be. So it's absolutely consistent characterisation that she'll walk over corpses if that is what she has to do to get what she wants.

Just curious, do you also think Clint should be in prison for his crimes? I will admit that I chose not to watch the Disney+ Hawkeye show due to the trailers really not showing Clint being held accountable for what he got up to in the five years between Infinity War and Endgame.  Clint spent five years travelling the world dispensing his own form of justice onto anyone he felt did not deserve to live while his wife and kids disappeared, and in the end was allowed to return to being a family man.  Are we supposed to believe that everyone he killed was guilty and he never killed someone who was innocent?

• Love 6
38 minutes ago, SeanC said:

No, there wasn’t. The “Sacred Timeline” was a multiverse carefully managed to avoid the creation of rival Kangs. The show’s presentation of this was somewhat confusing linguistically, but there were always multiple universes; that’s why the various pruned Lokis had all done something that strayed too far from their prescribed path.

There is no indication of what you are saying in the show. Instead it was spelled out multiple times that the TVA prunes all deviations and that there is only one timeline. You are just making stuff up by saying it was a multiverse.

26 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Just curious, do you also think Clint should be in prison for his crimes?

Yes. Though on the plus side, he only killed murderers. That's not as bad as torturing thousands of innocents for weeks, I think. But I guess you could argue the morality here.

28 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Are we supposed to believe that everyone he killed was guilty and he never killed someone who was innocent?

Well at least that is what we were told. But he should be in prison regardless.