Type keyword(s) to search

The Mighty Ducks: Game Changers - General Discussion

• Start Topic

After failing to make the cut to join the now powerhouse Mighty Ducks junior hockey team, 12-year-old Evan's mother encourages him to form a new team of underdogs with help from Gordon Bombay, the Ducks' original coach.

First season is currently streaming on Disney+

I guess I’ll go first 🙂

Watched this with my three kids tonight. I turned it on for them expecting to watch something else on my own tv but ended up getting sucked in. So for that I have to give it two thumbs up. We don’t watch pretty much anything as a family anymore because my kids would rather be on YouTube or playing video games. 

I grew up watching the Mighty Ducks movies and loved them. Our kids started watching them about 4 years ago and loved them as well. All but my daughter who just turned 5 play in-line hockey locally. Our closest ice rink is an hour and a half away. She will start next year. Hockey is our jam. So this was really fun! 

My main gripe with this was turning Bombay back into his old ways of hating hockey and kids. I mean, you own an ice skating rink dude. We needed to have him there in some way but the story telling there left me a little cold. Besides your Little Giants run of the mill underdog story which I expect I still am glad I tuned in with my kids and we will anticipate Friday evenings as a family viewing night so good on you Disney! 

• Love 5

I loved the Mighty Duck movies growing up. They actually got me to watch hockey for a couple of seasons as a teen until I decided I'd rather watch Primetime TV shows instead, heh. 

Unfortunately, I don't have Disney+ and I'm majorly bummed. The trailer looked awesome. I'm glad people are enjoying it though and hopefully we can get a new generation of kids watching these movies and the show. 

I'm on the fence so far. I grew up with the movies, so I'm mostly watching it for nostalgic purposes. I don't feel like these kids quite *click* yet. I don't understand why the "cool girl" joined the team, I wish they'd give her some sort of connection to hockey, because otherwise, it seems like they were just trying to check off an archetype for each kid to fill in. I don't get why half of them didn't just quit after the first game, because none of them seem to care much about hockey except for the main kid. Although, it looks like we hit the turning point on that narrative, so we'll see.

I'm going to stick with it for a few more weeks, especially since:

Spoiler

Some of the original kids are returning for an episode. (I can't remember if this counts as a spoiler or not...)

• Useful 1

Count me in as a fan. I do agree that it's ridiculous Gordon Bombay returned to his "I hate kids and I hate hockey" persona from the first film. Maybe they can expand on on why he has reverted by saying since his minor league hockey career never took off, he's bitter about hockey. But the "I hate kids" part?!?!?  Dumb, dumb, dumb! Bombay was a father figure to the OG Mighty Ducks (and was especially close with Charlie). I can't believe on this issue, he'd revert to "I hate kids"!

So far, my favorite character is Nick.  He just seems so sweet and likeable!  

I'm glad they pulled a surprise trick that Logan - the Canadian kid would turn out to be a bad skater/hockey player. Was not expecting that at all. 

• Love 3

Overall I'm really liking this show, but the 3rd episode fell flat for me. I think the constant focus on trying to recruit Sofie - yet again- was tiresome to the point where I felt like someone needed to tell Evan that no means no and to stop bugging her. 

I did like how they handled Gordon finally talking to Alex about why he was so bitter and hopefully the start of him being more involved with the team. 

I can't decide if I think they missed an opportunity by not making one of the kids the child of the originals. On one hand, it's kind of pandering to do a "next generation" that way. On the other hand, it would give someone like Maya (the popular girl?) more of a reason to join the team, if she was trying to make them proud. 

3 hours ago, Jenniferbug said:

I can't decide if I think they missed an opportunity by not making one of the kids the child of the originals. On one hand, it's kind of pandering to do a "next generation" that way. On the other hand, it would give someone like Maya (the popular girl?) more of a reason to join the team, if she was trying to make them proud. 

Yeah, even though it's a bit of fan service, at least it would make sense in-universe.  Hey, @Jenniferbug, maybe you should write for the show...?   😄

5 hours ago, Jenniferbug said:

Well, technically they could be-have we seen all their last names? Honestly, I thought Sophie was going to be a Banks. Best player? Moving from a different team? She might not be a Banks but she has that ‘role’ from the movies (but where the team wants her).

We could have a situation where the kid has a remarried last name on the back of their jersey too and their parent is a Duck. Or their mom is one of Ducks and she took her husbands last name.

I read an article where they were talking about the original Ducks and it said

Spoiler

What all the jobs are of the ducks who are on the show, who’s married who and who have kids. They were pretty mum on Averman who apparently is going to have a bigger role then the others. Makes me wonder if Averman is the sperm donor for Nick.

Bombay is still my favorite and of course he gave a kid money for tape which gets him barred from college sports. He just can’t catch a break. I loved him and Alex together.

I’m a sucker for the Ducks music and every time it plays it just makes my heart clench up. They’re going to get me all season with the Ducks riff.

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, SnoGirl said:

Bombay is still my favorite and of course he gave a kid money for tape which gets him barred from college sports. He just can’t catch a break.

It has to be more than tape! Apparently 

Spoiler

Bombay and Charlie aren’t currently on speaking terms, so I’m wondering if it’s related to this.

• Love 1

I thought it was hilarious that Bombay’s “great” coaching advice was a bunch of standard over dramatic theatrics and not actual hockey. My favorite scene from the Mighty Ducks was D2 when they put Russ in the game, but have to disguise him as Goldberg, so he can get past the defense, and he stops to remove his helmet and reveal his identity before he shoots a knuckle puck, so that the coach can shout “THE GOALIE!” in utter dismay. 

• LOL 3
13 hours ago, norcalgal said:

Yeah, even though it's a bit of fan service, at least it would make sense in-universe.  Hey, @Jenniferbug, maybe you should write for the show...?   😄

I mean if Disney would like to give me a call, I wouldn't say no 😂

I probably would have made Maya the kid of Guy and Connie, but I would have had a hard time not going totally fan service if I were writing the show. I haven't read spoilers for when the original Ducks show up so don't know what they've been up to. 

I am loving this show as well. I always groan when the episode ends and I have to wait another week to watch the next one. At least we have some insight on to why Bombay hated hockey, and I enjoy his scenes with Alex. 
Wondering how in the world Sofi is going to be allowed to play for the Dont Bothers. Her parents are way too extra, but unfortunately this is how a lot of Indian parents are. I do think it’s ridiculous that they are talking about college acceptance and getting Bs when it’s middle school and nobody cares about middle school transcripts, but at least Evan told her how ridiculous she was being. 
I really want that “mean girl-mom” Stephanie to fall on her face. Her kids are horrible just like her.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Jenniferbug said:

I probably would have made Maya the kid of Guy and Connie, but I would have had a hard time not going totally fan service if I were writing the show. I haven't read spoilers for when the original Ducks show up so don't know what they've been up to. 

I know Guy/Connie are canon in the films but I can't see them being together in the long run. Seems like just a typical teen romance. For no reason except my own mind, I could see Connie and Banksy meeting up years later (like a Ducks reunion), rekindling their friendship, and then a romance develops. Again, not based on anything we saw in the films...it's just me thinking this.

Add me to the spoiler avoidance group. I want to be pleasantly surprised as I watch...

On 4/9/2021 at 10:21 PM, absnow54 said:

I thought it was hilarious that Bombay’s “great” coaching advice was a bunch of standard over dramatic theatrics and not actual hockey. My favorite scene from the Mighty Ducks was D2 when they put Russ in the game, but have to disguise him as Goldberg, so he can get past the defense, and he stops to remove his helmet and reveal his identity before he shoots a knuckle puck, so that the coach can shout “THE GOALIE!” in utter dismay. 

That's really all Gordon Bombay does, he's not really a good hockey coach, it's all just trick plays. There's a reason why he's only ever super successful coaching junior hockey. I'm guessing he wasn't all that great coaching college and the stick tape fiasco was not what brought him down. What college team wouldn't have just tons of stick tape lying around? What player could afford skates and pads and sticks (hundreds of dollars worth of equipment, and sticks break so it's not a one time purchase) that would be good enough to allow him to play in college but also not be able to afford stick tape (like 5 bucks)? I call bull Bombay! You couldn't hack it in college, cause your trick plays only work against kids!

Seriously though, I love the Mighty Ducks, and I'm having a blast with this new series too.  

Edited by Maximum Taco
  • Love 1

Thought this episodes was better than the last episode with the Cocoa Mark (or whatever his name was) storyline. I really love the kid with the two moms and his retelling of the movie experience.. “remember when we were both reaching for popcorn and our hands touched...”   Our entire family was laughing the entire sleepover. Love that Koob is coming out of his shell now and the Duck girl gets to actually join the team. 
I liked the moms challenge but was hoping to see the kids on the ice only because we have to wake up at an ungodly 7am tomorrow to start hockey games that will run from 9-1 (my kids are different ages/ teams). 
I am just a sucker for nostalgia and am still really loving this as are my kids. My oldest commented at the end, “What is with Coach Bombay falling in love with a kids mom every time!”

• Love 3

Never watched the original. Have tuned in for Lauren Graham and am not disappointed. Some of the kids - especially the boy who was previously the announcer and pined for the cafe worker - are great. I loved their exuberance at scoring their first goal. 

• Love 2
37 minutes ago, LisaM said:

Never watched the original. Have tuned in for Lauren Graham and am not disappointed. Some of the kids - especially the boy who was previously the announcer and pined for the cafe worker - are great. I loved their exuberance at scoring their first goal. 

That kid is Nick, and he’s my favorite of all the kids. He’s so sweet, endearing and loveable. 

• Love 2
15 hours ago, norcalgal said:

That kid is Nick, and he’s my favorite of all the kids. He’s so sweet, endearing and loveable. 

I believe he is what The Youths call "an adorable cinnamon roll". And I think he's my favorite too.

• Love 1

I LOVED the Mighty Ducks reunion episode.

Fulton breaking the window.

"What a bunch of cake eaters!"

"When I first joined the Ducks, I would have fit right in with you."

"I can't believe we named one of our kids after him!"

The limo on the ice.

Kenny Wu figure skating!

Even the Charlie reference was just so Charlie. I really hope Joshua Jackson decides to make a cameo one day. Cash in on that sweet Disney money, man!

I was a little confused by the timing. The Ducks formed in 1992, and in 1996 became the mascot for Eden Hall, which isn't the same league... I guess 25 years is a better excuse to celebrate than 29.

• Love 4

Not me getting teary eyed at all the scenes with the original Ducks...

I loved seeing them all so much. And it was really fun to see them on the ice again. I don't have much to say, I'm just feeling really happy nostalgia right now! 

My 9 year old shipper heart was happy Guy and Connie are married with kids, even if it is super unlikely. 

• Love 4
9 hours ago, absnow54 said:

I LOVED the Mighty Ducks reunion episode.

Fulton breaking the window.

"What a bunch of cake eaters!"

"When I first joined the Ducks, I would have fit right in with you."

"I can't believe we named one of our kids after him!"

The limo on the ice.

Kenny Wu figure skating!

Even the Charlie reference was just so Charlie. I really hope Joshua Jackson decides to make a cameo one day. Cash in on that sweet Disney money, man!

I was a little confused by the timing. The Ducks formed in 1992, and in 1996 became the mascot for Eden Hall, which isn't the same league... I guess 25 years is a better excuse to celebrate than 29.

9 hours ago, Jenniferbug said:

Not me getting teary eyed at all the scenes with the original Ducks...

I loved seeing them all so much. And it was really fun to see them on the ice again. I don't have much to say, I'm just feeling really happy nostalgia right now! 

My 9 year old shipper heart was happy Guy and Connie are married with kids, even if it is super unlikely. 

Aallllll this!  But extra emphasis on the unreal scenario that Connie and Guy "went the distance" as Bombay said. Can anyone think of a real life example of two people hooking up in middle school and still being together 20+ years later? 

It was also nice to hear about what OG Ducks are doing now. The elephant in the room was Charlie missing the whole thing, and even if I buy why he didn't show up at the pizza parlor, it doesn't make sense Charlie didn't show up at the Gala either. Anyway, it was a great reunion episode. Yes, it's total fan servicing...but I don't care. I want more of that.  😉

• Love 2
35 minutes ago, norcalgal said:

Aallllll this!  But extra emphasis on the unreal scenario that Connie and Guy "went the distance" as Bombay said. Can anyone think of a real life example of two people hooking up in middle school and still being together 20+ years later? 

It was also nice to hear about what OG Ducks are doing now. The elephant in the room was Charlie missing the whole thing, and even if I buy why he didn't show up at the pizza parlor, it doesn't make sense Charlie didn't show up at the Gala either. Anyway, it was a great reunion episode. Yes, it's total fan servicing...but I don't care. I want more of that.  😉

I have a friend that started dating his wife when they were in Jr high.  They broke up for 20 minutes one time but have been together since.  They got married after grad school.  They are 51. 

Edited by Aliconehead
  • Love 3

I loved the seeing the OG ducks again. I know a lot of them aren't acting anymore so I'm glad some of them showed up. If this show continues I hope they can get Joshua Jackson to cameo. 

As for Guy and Connie still being together, its unlikely but it does happen occasionally.

I wonder if the OG's had to wrestle that plaque away from Stephanie. 

Evan had to know that he wouldn't be able to keep it secret he went to Ducks practice. He was being filmed and that is how things are now. Every thing is recorded and posted. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Like you guys I loved the nostalgia and wished this was a longer episode so we got to see the old team interact with Bombay and the Don't Bothers more. I’m with Adam thinking that the current Ducks are Cake Eaters. Stephanie continues to be the worst and I understand why Alex doesn’t put her foot down because her job depends on it, but I want her to stick up for herself once in a while.

Maybe Charlie, Russ and Goldberg will make a cameo in a future season once Covid restrictions are lifted, and hoping the old crew will be back as well.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 1

I've never seen the original movie -- and I loved how the original group interacted with the kids and helped Bombay. 

Really enjoyed seeing the kids watching their big victory. They really looked like a cohesive group - and got two new recruits! 

(edited)
6 hours ago, twoods said:

Like you guys I loved the nostalgia and wished this was a longer episode so we got to see the old team interact with Bombay and the Don't Bothers more. I’m with Adam thinking that the current Ducks are Cake Eaters. Stephanie continues to be the worst and I understand why Alex doesn’t put her foot down because her job depends on it, but I want her to stick up for herself once in a while.

Maybe Charlie, Russ and Goldberg will make a cameo in a future season once Covid restrictions are lifted, and hoping the old crew will be back as well.

Unfortunately Charlie (josh Jackson) and Russ (Kenan Thompson) are the two most successful and might not have time.  I hope they do find time though.  Especially Josh.  Goldberg sobriety is probably still precarious. His meth addiction was pretty severe and he might still be on probation and not allowed to leave which ever state he is in. 

Edited by Aliconehead

This episode took 2 weeks to film, and the OG Ducks had to quarantine for 2 weeks first because of Covid protocols. That’s one of the reasons some of the people who don’t act anymore couldn’t come and atleast part of why Joshua Jackson couldn’t. And yea Goldberg has had a rough time of it so that’s a whole other can of worms. 

i really loved seeing the reunion, although considering he owns, and lives, at the rink Hans left him, it’s not like they didn’t know where to find him. My theory is Charlie did show up there at some point and met up with the jaded jerk he first met all those years back and was done with it. 

• Love 1
On 4/30/2021 at 3:49 PM, Aliconehead said:

I have a friend that started dating his wife when they were in Jr high.  They broke up for 20 minutes one time but have been together since.  They got married after grad school.  They are 51. 

I stand corrected.  It's great they're still together after all this time. Also, if they married young, one day, they might beat the world record for longest married couple!  🙂

I only have two minor nitpicks of the latest episode: 

1. Why did they include Ken Wu? He wasn’t an OG (the others were and they were the only ones to make it through all 3 movies minus Charlie and Goldberg)

2. I would have thought Adam Banks would have made it to the NHL

1 hour ago, wingster55 said:

I only have two minor nitpicks of the latest episode: 

1. Why did they include Ken Wu? He wasn’t an OG (the others were and they were the only ones to make it through all 3 movies minus Charlie and Goldberg)

2. I would have thought Adam Banks would have made it to the NHL

1. Steve Brill said they extended the invitation to everyone and set up the storyline to include as many original ducks as possible, but a lot of people couldn’t come due to Covid quarantines, jobs, etc. https://www.slashfilm.com/the-mighty-ducks-writer-steven-brill-interview-game-changers/

I think it was just a coincidence that the 5 besides Wu were the ones that were in all 3 movies, aside from Charlie and Goldberg. The actor who plays Ken Wu lives in Vancouver, which is where they shot.

2. I’d like to think Banks did make it to the NHL and just became a public defender after he retired, since he would be in his 40s now.

On the whole, I thought the episode was well done and I couldn’t stop smiling the entire time they were on screen. Those hugs with Emilio at the beginning of the pizza parlor scene seemed so genuine too, which was so lovely to see. I really hope this show gets more seasons and we'll be able to check in with more ducks in the future. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, Victura said:

2. I’d like to think Banks did make it to the NHL and just became a public defender after he retired, since he would be in his 40s now.

In my mind, Banks (or as I think of him, Banksy) did make it to the NHL. But he retired and is doing hockey media (color analyst) like so many other pro athletes have done.

On the whole, I thought the episode was well done and I couldn’t stop smiling the entire time they were on screen. Those hugs with Emilio at the beginning of the pizza parlor scene seemed so genuine too, which was so lovely to see. I really hope this show gets more seasons and we'll be able to check in with more ducks in the future. 

YES!!! There was such warmth and affection. I hope we see more Ducks, and from any of the three films is ok with me. 
One organic way they could bring back some of the movie Ducks is to have an event on the anniversary of the real life Ducks hockey team winning the Stanley Cup. The movie Ducks could help celebrate the anniversary. 
And for the non NHL viewer, the real life hockey team changed their name from Anaheim Mighty Ducks to just Anaheim Ducks some years ago. 

14 minutes ago, Aliconehead said:

I can not believe after all this time I just found out Guy and Fulton are brothers in real life.  How did I not know this. 

I didn't know that until I rewatched the first movie in preparation for this series. I noticed Guy reminded me a lot of Fulton as Foggy on Daredevil so checked IMDB. I have NO idea how I didn't know that for all these years though! 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Jenniferbug said:

I didn't know that until I rewatched the first movie in preparation for this series. I noticed Guy reminded me a lot of Fulton as Foggy on Daredevil so checked IMDB. I have NO idea how I didn't know that for all these years though! 

I see want you mean.  I just rewatched the first movie and I now can see the similarities.  I think Eldon’s dyed hair threw me off

(edited)

Regarding Elden and Garrett... They dyed Elden's hair so they'd look less like brothers, actually. Plus, he was billed as Elden Ratliff when he was younger, so it's understandable that it might be a news to some. 

Edited by LadyNebula
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, Aliconehead said:

I can not believe after all this time I just found out Guy and Fulton are brothers in real life.  How did I not know this. 

12 hours ago, Jenniferbug said:

10 hours ago, Aliconehead said:

I see want you mean.  I just rewatched the first movie and I now can see the similarities.  I think Eldon’s dyed hair threw me off

9 hours ago, LadyNebula said:

Regarding Elden and Garrett... They dyed Elden's hair so they'd look less like brothers, actually. Plus, he was billed as Elden Ratliff when he was younger, so it's understandable that it might be a news to some. 

WOW!!! Count me in as someone who didn't know this. The things one learns on the Internet...

I really enjoyed the latest episode - where Gordon takes the Team to the outdoor ice and has them practice by passing their cell phones. Alex's blindfolded practice routine cracked me up. 

The show gets better each week - as the team continues to gel. 

• Love 2

This show is continuing to be a cute show. I have a lot of nostalgia towards the original movie, so I'm glad I'm enjoying this one. The tricks that would never work in real life over actual hockey is one of the staples of this universe and I love it. 

It was great that Bombay used their phones instead of eggs. And a surprising turn from Stephanie, giving Alex advice to be the coach and face whatever is holding her back. 

• Love 1

Nick always wished for a way to drink his backyard! LOL.

I thought they turned Alex into a nightmare coach pretty quickly but then remembered that all of these games are happening over the course of weeks/months.

• Love 1

I was also really uncomfortable at what a jerk Alex was becoming, which is the point of the storyline but it still sucked. I’m glad the kids weren’t okay with it and hopefully Gordon has a talk with Alex before states. 
The relationship between the kids is still the best thing about the show, along with Gordon continuing to be a kick ass coach. Logan and Nick’s talk had me teary eyed. I am going to miss this cast when the season is over.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 4/21/2021 at 1:42 AM, twoods said:

Blah for Disney+ for not dropping all the episodes at once. I want more of this cute, fluffy show! 

Never gonna happen 😆 Disney + is not Netflix....

I actually got used to the whole weekly release format with Disney + and HBO max...gives me something to look forward to on Friday's and Sunday's....

I've been watching this show since it was released....I ❤️ it.....i am big fan of the first movie and i quite liked the second, but i liked how all the homage is to the first one.....

the person i watch this with says they think there will be a bet that the Ducks will make with the Don't Bothers at the State finals for the name rights to the team for the finale????

I could maybe see it happening 🤣

Edited by snickers
  • Love 1

As a loooooongtime Primetimer and all of its former permutations, I’m popping in on a show I’m just starting to watch for admittedly selfish reasons (other than adoooooring Lauren Graham).

Through a weird series of connections, my longtime musician hubby has had a bunch of his songs picked up by TV shows which is admittedly kinda thrilling (especially when it’s shows we love, which has happened) ... but for the first time apparently TWO songs are landing in one episode which we think is tomorrow’s episode of this show! 

We’ll be watching ... me especially because if indeed the info we’ve gotten is CQ, one of the songs is one he actually wrote for me more than 30 years ago. To hear it in a show with Lorelai Gilmore would have me plotzing in a million ways. 

• Love 2
15 hours ago, PamelaMaeSnap said:

As a loooooongtime Primetimer and all of its former permutations, I’m popping in on a show I’m just starting to watch for admittedly selfish reasons (other than adoooooring Lauren Graham).

Through a weird series of connections, my longtime musician hubby has had a bunch of his songs picked up by TV shows which is admittedly kinda thrilling (especially when it’s shows we love, which has happened) ... but for the first time apparently TWO songs are landing in one episode which we think is tomorrow’s episode of this show! 

We’ll be watching ... me especially because if indeed the info we’ve gotten is CQ, one of the songs is one he actually wrote for me more than 30 years ago. To hear it in a show with Lorelai Gilmore would have me plotzing in a million ways. 

Thats Awesome! If you hear it let us know!

I like that they are making Stephanie somewhat redeemable by Alex bonding with her. It took her divorcing her husband to realize she is a shitty person and her kids were turning out the same. I was thinking they were redeeming the coach as well but I guess that ship has sailed.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, twoods said:

I like that they are making Stephanie somewhat redeemable by Alex bonding with her. It took her divorcing her husband to realize she is a shitty person and her kids were turning out the same. I was thinking they were redeeming the coach as well but I guess that ship has sailed.

I thought they were redeeming him too! Nope! 

I thought the Nick and MJ crush was cute, and I liked all the boys giving Evan advice. 

• Love 1