Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
jewel21

The Mighty Ducks: Game Changers

After failing to make the cut to join the now powerhouse Mighty Ducks junior hockey team, 12-year-old Evan's mother encourages him to form a new team of underdogs with help from Gordon Bombay, the Ducks' original coach.

First season is currently streaming on Disney+

I guess I’ll go first 🙂

Watched this with my three kids tonight. I turned it on for them expecting to watch something else on my own tv but ended up getting sucked in. So for that I have to give it two thumbs up. We don’t watch pretty much anything as a family anymore because my kids would rather be on YouTube or playing video games. 

I grew up watching the Mighty Ducks movies and loved them. Our kids started watching them about 4 years ago and loved them as well. All but my daughter who just turned 5 play in-line hockey locally. Our closest ice rink is an hour and a half away. She will start next year. Hockey is our jam. So this was really fun! 

My main gripe with this was turning Bombay back into his old ways of hating hockey and kids. I mean, you own an ice skating rink dude. We needed to have him there in some way but the story telling there left me a little cold. Besides your Little Giants run of the mill underdog story which I expect I still am glad I tuned in with my kids and we will anticipate Friday evenings as a family viewing night so good on you Disney! 

• Like 4

I loved the Mighty Duck movies growing up. They actually got me to watch hockey for a couple of seasons as a teen until I decided I'd rather watch Primetime TV shows instead, heh. 

Unfortunately, I don't have Disney+ and I'm majorly bummed. The trailer looked awesome. I'm glad people are enjoying it though and hopefully we can get a new generation of kids watching these movies and the show. 

I'm on the fence so far. I grew up with the movies, so I'm mostly watching it for nostalgic purposes. I don't feel like these kids quite *click* yet. I don't understand why the "cool girl" joined the team, I wish they'd give her some sort of connection to hockey, because otherwise, it seems like they were just trying to check off an archetype for each kid to fill in. I don't get why half of them didn't just quit after the first game, because none of them seem to care much about hockey except for the main kid. Although, it looks like we hit the turning point on that narrative, so we'll see.

I'm going to stick with it for a few more weeks, especially since:

Spoiler

Some of the original kids are returning for an episode. (I can't remember if this counts as a spoiler or not...)

• Useful 1

Count me in as a fan. I do agree that it's ridiculous Gordon Bombay returned to his "I hate kids and I hate hockey" persona from the first film. Maybe they can expand on on why he has reverted by saying since his minor league hockey career never took off, he's bitter about hockey. But the "I hate kids" part?!?!?  Dumb, dumb, dumb! Bombay was a father figure to the OG Mighty Ducks (and was especially close with Charlie). I can't believe on this issue, he'd revert to "I hate kids"!

So far, my favorite character is Nick.  He just seems so sweet and likeable!  

I'm glad they pulled a surprise trick that Logan - the Canadian kid would turn out to be a bad skater/hockey player. Was not expecting that at all. 

• Like 2

Overall I'm really liking this show, but the 3rd episode fell flat for me. I think the constant focus on trying to recruit Sofie - yet again- was tiresome to the point where I felt like someone needed to tell Evan that no means no and to stop bugging her. 

I did like how they handled Gordon finally talking to Alex about why he was so bitter and hopefully the start of him being more involved with the team. 

I can't decide if I think they missed an opportunity by not making one of the kids the child of the originals. On one hand, it's kind of pandering to do a "next generation" that way. On the other hand, it would give someone like Maya (the popular girl?) more of a reason to join the team, if she was trying to make them proud. 

3 hours ago, Jenniferbug said:

I can't decide if I think they missed an opportunity by not making one of the kids the child of the originals. On one hand, it's kind of pandering to do a "next generation" that way. On the other hand, it would give someone like Maya (the popular girl?) more of a reason to join the team, if she was trying to make them proud. 

Yeah, even though it's a bit of fan service, at least it would make sense in-universe.  Hey, @Jenniferbug, maybe you should write for the show...?   😄

5 hours ago, Jenniferbug said:

Well, technically they could be-have we seen all their last names? Honestly, I thought Sophie was going to be a Banks. Best player? Moving from a different team? She might not be a Banks but she has that ‘role’ from the movies (but where the team wants her).

We could have a situation where the kid has a remarried last name on the back of their jersey too and their parent is a Duck. Or their mom is one of Ducks and she took her husbands last name.

I read an article where they were talking about the original Ducks and it said

Spoiler

What all the jobs are of the ducks who are on the show, who’s married who and who have kids. They were pretty mum on Averman who apparently is going to have a bigger role then the others. Makes me wonder if Averman is the sperm donor for Nick.

Bombay is still my favorite and of course he gave a kid money for tape which gets him barred from college sports. He just can’t catch a break. I loved him and Alex together.

I’m a sucker for the Ducks music and every time it plays it just makes my heart clench up. They’re going to get me all season with the Ducks riff.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, SnoGirl said:

Bombay is still my favorite and of course he gave a kid money for tape which gets him barred from college sports. He just can’t catch a break.

It has to be more than tape! Apparently 

Spoiler

Bombay and Charlie aren’t currently on speaking terms, so I’m wondering if it’s related to this.

• Like 1

I thought it was hilarious that Bombay’s “great” coaching advice was a bunch of standard over dramatic theatrics and not actual hockey. My favorite scene from the Mighty Ducks was D2 when they put Russ in the game, but have to disguise him as Goldberg, so he can get past the defense, and he stops to remove his helmet and reveal his identity before he shoots a knuckle puck, so that the coach can shout “THE GOALIE!” in utter dismay. 

• Laugh 2

13 hours ago, norcalgal said:

Yeah, even though it's a bit of fan service, at least it would make sense in-universe.  Hey, @Jenniferbug, maybe you should write for the show...?   😄

I mean if Disney would like to give me a call, I wouldn't say no 😂

I probably would have made Maya the kid of Guy and Connie, but I would have had a hard time not going totally fan service if I were writing the show. I haven't read spoilers for when the original Ducks show up so don't know what they've been up to. 

I am loving this show as well. I always groan when the episode ends and I have to wait another week to watch the next one. At least we have some insight on to why Bombay hated hockey, and I enjoy his scenes with Alex. 
Wondering how in the world Sofi is going to be allowed to play for the Dont Bothers. Her parents are way too extra, but unfortunately this is how a lot of Indian parents are. I do think it’s ridiculous that they are talking about college acceptance and getting Bs when it’s middle school and nobody cares about middle school transcripts, but at least Evan told her how ridiculous she was being. 
I really want that “mean girl-mom” Stephanie to fall on her face. Her kids are horrible just like her.

7 hours ago, Jenniferbug said:

I probably would have made Maya the kid of Guy and Connie, but I would have had a hard time not going totally fan service if I were writing the show. I haven't read spoilers for when the original Ducks show up so don't know what they've been up to. 

I know Guy/Connie are canon in the films but I can't see them being together in the long run. Seems like just a typical teen romance. For no reason except my own mind, I could see Connie and Banksy meeting up years later (like a Ducks reunion), rekindling their friendship, and then a romance develops. Again, not based on anything we saw in the films...it's just me thinking this.

Add me to the spoiler avoidance group. I want to be pleasantly surprised as I watch...