Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E12: Salsa

• Start Topic

Hmm. You know, if a girl responds to a weird message from someone she doesn't know by telling you she never wants you to contact her again, it's probably not the entirely the fault of the weird message.

I'm just saying that if that relationship didn't have serious problems already, letting Kat write a heartfelt apology explaining the situation would probably fix it.

If someone tells me they did something weird on sleeping pills, I'm gonna give them the benefit of the doubt. A friend of mine woke up after trying one to discover she had confessed to her mother that she had converted to another religion, they'd had a deep and meaningful conversation about it, come to a happy acceptance and to this day that friend doesn't remember a moment of it.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 5
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, PinkRibbons said:

Hmm. You know, if a girl responds to a weird message from someone she doesn't know by telling you she never wants you to contact her again, it's probably not the entirely the fault of the weird message.

I'm just saying that if that relationship didn't have serious problems already, letting Kat write a heartfelt apology explaining the situation would probably fix it.

If someone tells me they did something weird on sleeping pills, I'm gonna give them the benefit of the doubt. A friend of mine woke up after trying one to discover she had confessed to her mother that she had converted to another religion, they'd had a deep and meaningful conversation about it, come to a happy acceptance and to this day that friend doesn't remember a moment of it.

At first I thought Max was overly harsh, but then I guess I wouldn't expect him to just shrug something like that off. At least he didn't throw Kat's crush in her face, like "you just wanted me for yourself!" or something equally stupid and hurtful. But yeah, it doesn't seem like Brigitte is all that into Max. I hope we will get to meet her, though, to see if she's anything like Kat's fantasy.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, PinkRibbons said:

Right.  And they're broken up, aren't they?  That's why Max is back in the States.  Yes, they were working on things but clearly there was something else going on.

This was another story idea taken from the original series but most of the story beats were so different that it felt like its own independent episode. 

I had to shake my head when Kat confused the polka with salsa but I did giggle.

I thought Randi was being judgmental with Kat when Kat confessed that she had gotten an erotic charge from dancing with Max that she used to fuel a hot night with her boyfriend.   Isn't that kind of the benefit of having a partner?  

Phil and Kat's mom eating that bun was predictable.  

• Love 5

They said that Brigitte was already freaked out and somewhat in hiding due to stalkers, so I can somewhat understand her reaction to Kat’s email. It sounds like she’s still reeling emotionally and just doesn’t want any sort of drama in her life at this point. We know that Kat meant no harm and it was a mistake that she didn’t even know she made, but Brigitte has no way of knowing that and has to assume that Max is now associated with someone who is another stalker. 

I think Randi was harsh to Kat about her confession because she knows Kat still has feelings for Max. It’s one thing to get turned on by a movie or seeing an actor or model on TV or something, but if she’s essentially pretending she’s with Max while she is with Oscar that’s not good for Kat in the long term. Randi knows that Kat is playing a dangerous game emotionally. 

The trip to see Dolly with Phil and Sharon was cute, but it was definitely the weakest part of the episode. 

• Love 1

I didn't hate this episode! 👍

Phil and Mom were stuck on the interstate overnight?

Was surprised to see Mayim do suggestive dancing. I mean, she wears some sort of dress/wrap over her exercise pants at the gym. Tonight we saw ankles and 3/4 of a calf. Have we seen her in bed with someone before where they suggested she was naked?

I don't buy into Randi's grief about her relationship ending. Maybe if we'd seen them together or if we had any reason to believe it was a meaningful relationship (other than what they told us to believe. Every week I feel like the script is written in bullet points.) I think her demanding that Kat tell Oscar was more reactive to her personal situation. Kat hadn't done anything she needed to confess, and she'd already realized she was venturing into uncomfortable territory. Butt out, Randi!

• Love 5

Some quality kitties this week, I would love to have a whole cat blanket all over me, those at those cuddly fluffs. That little orange kitty was so cute cuddling with Kat, and I think its the same cat that got salsa dipped. They have some very high quality cat actors on this show, ten out of ten would cuddle again. 

Brigitte officially ending it with Max is probably for the best, it seems clear that their relationship is basically over. They live across a whole ass ocean, don't seem to talk much, and she decides to cut off contact because of an email she gets from some random women she doesn't even know. I do hope that we see her at some point though, I think it would be hilarious if she isn't at all like the fancy French girl that Kat always talks to. Like she's played by Mayim Bialik but with a beret and a silly accent. 

• Love 9
9 hours ago, Angeleyes said:

I think Randi was harsh to Kat about her confession because she knows Kat still has feelings for Max. It’s one thing to get turned on by a movie or seeing an actor or model on TV or something, but if she’s essentially pretending she’s with Max while she is with Oscar that’s not good for Kat in the long term.

3 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

That's what vibrators are for. 

There is something off putting about that whole situation.  Was Kat thinking of Max while she was having sex with Oscar?  That seems likely.

So I didn't get the impression that it was that she was thinking of Max.  She's attracted to Max, obviously, but this came after hours of doing sexy dancing with him.  

I don't think feeling turned on by sexy dancing with a hot guy necessarily means she has to go close her eyes and think of him when she's with her boyfriend.  Just that she was very prepped for some lovemaking.  

Although with the season finale next week, they'll probably go that route just to cause drama just to get rid of Oscar so they can continue the will they/won't they thing. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Oy vey, where to begin.  I guess at the end first; as usual, I thought the best part was the waving (and dancing!) and the cute and cuddly cats.  I like the waving not only because it's a la Miranda, but it always looks like the cast is having a party!

Dolly Parton no show was predicable and very sitcom-y; let's have a celebrity featured in the storyline but he or she doesn't show up!  I remember when Sabrina, The Teenage Witch did it with talking about a Smashing Pumpkins concert and Billy Corgan.  It's been done so many times.  Except when Davy Jones from The Monkees showed up on The Brady Bunch.  I'm digressing.

Max really sold his angry act.  Maybe he would be, or already is, good at drama?  He was a nifty little Salsa dancer too.

I don't think Brigitte is pining away in Paris for Max.  That ship sailed and there's really no working on a relationship. 

The urinating in front of each other and eating the bun with ensuing take back talk and gluing together with saliva hit my icky meter.

It was also predictable that Randi and Carter would finally find each other attractive and available to each other.  If Randi doesn't end up with Carter I'll be a little surprised.  I didn't realize Randi had officially broken up with Daniel, he of the no-tipping policy.  I must've missed that because I thought she had moved in with him and his photo of his previous secret marriage.

I was surprised that Oscar now is officially Kat's "boyfriend."  I thought they'd had just one or two dates.  I guess there's been a time jump.

• Love 3

I don't really like it that Kat uses Oscar as her vehicle for Max fantasies.  I just think the whole thing felt a little creepy. I know I laughed if it was done in Miranda, but there at least the creepy would have been funny.  Here it's just creepy.  I'm not really loving Kat's relationship with either guy as it is.  Her relationship with Oscar feels forced and as if it exists purely for episodes like this.  Mayim is playing this role so earnest and one-note that I'm feeling bored already.  Her character doesn't really have much depth.   They write the character like she's always trying to be very level headed and agonizing about what she should or shouldn't do, what's right or wrong, and none of it is funny.  Then they go and make her do some pretty out there things, and none of which is funny either.  Again, a little creepy.  And her mother is creepy even before she delivers lines about peeing in front of Phil.  Yep, this one definitely deserves an "Oy vey"....

• Love 2
4 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I can't believe that Dolly Parton muffin (that sounds dirty just saying that) made it anywhere near Sheila's stomach.  It did look like she swallowed it, but damn I still can't believe it.

She said that they urinated twice - she probably purged it during her second one.

How did Kat get Brigitte's email address in order to Ambien-email her?

I was looking for cats more than paying close attention to the dialogue, but felt like the storyline didn't really wrap up - it seemed like Max was mad at her and then all of a sudden they were waving.

Speaking of audience interaction, it's starting to feel like all of Kat's audience asides are finished during the first act, almost like they're getting them out of the way.  She should shoot us some reactionary looks to things that the other characters do and say to keep us engaged.

I want to sleep under a cat blanket.  The closest I ever got was a good boy who insisted on cuddling against my chest when we went to bed.  Every time I rolled over he'd jump over me so he could settle back against my chest.  I still miss him.

Cat Blanket - these guys get it:

7892f27997e169afca3455c14b5c8be6.gif

• Love 9
20 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I think it would be hilarious if she isn't at all like the fancy French girl that Kat always talks to. Like she's played by Mayim Bialik but with a beret and a silly accent. 

That would be funny!

I want a kitty cat blanket 🙂

That's all I have to say. I agree with a lot of what's already been said.

• Love 5

Speaking of creepy, I'm also getting icked out by Phil's recollections of his weird childhood with Mama.

@Lone Wolf:  Peeing and purging in front of Phil?  Here's another oy vey!  🤮  Also, thanks for catching the huge plot hole with Kat having Brigitte's email.  Maybe, just maybe, they used to be on an email cc grouping.  I know, that's reaching!

• Love 3
8 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

Speaking of creepy, I'm also getting icked out by Phil's recollections of his weird childhood with Mama.

@Lone Wolf:  Peeing and purging in front of Phil?  Here's another oy vey!  🤮  Also, thanks for catching the huge plot hole with Kat having Brigitte's email.  Maybe, just maybe, they used to be on an email cc grouping.  I know, that's reaching!

Actually, and it is kind of embarrassing to admit this, I watched the episode over because hubbie missed it so I saved it for him.  Unfortunately I couldn't save myself from having to see it again....BUT, I do remember Kat saying something in passing to Max about not finding Brigitte's photo online because she had the internet scrubbed due to stalkers, but how she did manage to find her email address.  So I guess that was a pretty weak attempt at patching a plot hole.  And no, the episode wasn't any funnier or less creepy the second time either, LOL.

• Love 2

It seems pretty simple to me: Brigitte probably has a professional web page for her patients (she's a therapist, right? Am I misremembering?) to make appointments on, fill out forms, etc. Most likely she has a contact email listed there.

Edited by PinkRibbons
  • Love 4
On 3/19/2021 at 6:45 AM, chediavolo said:

I’m watching and hoping it gets cancelled soon at this point. The cats are the best part. 

why should it be cancelled?

there are people who are enjoying it, maybe not a lot, but some of us

• Love 7
2 hours ago, cinsays said:

why should it be cancelled?

there are people who are enjoying it, maybe not a lot, but some of us

I won't be surprised if it gets cancelled.  Ranked from 1st place to 133, Call Me Kat is at 126.

• Love 1
On 3/21/2021 at 11:38 AM, PinkRibbons said:

It seems pretty simple to me: Brigitte probably has a professional web page for her patients (she's a therapist, right? Am I misremembering?) to make appointments on, fill out forms, etc. Most likely she has a contact email listed there.

Yes, that's exactly what happened. She found Brigitte's web page for her patients and emailed via the "contact me" link. 

• Useful 1
On 3/21/2021 at 1:32 AM, Yeah No said:

Brigitte's photo online because she had the internet scrubbed due to stalkers, but how she did manage to find her email address.  So I guess that was a pretty weak attempt at patching a plot hole. 

I suspect that Brigitte is pretty and gets unwanted attention for her looks when her photo is up which is why she doesn't have photos online.  So people can still contact her but they won't be contacting her because of a photo they saw. 

Another subpar episode, but I must say that Cheyenne Jackson was looking smokin' hot in his tight shirt while he was dancing with Kat. If Max is the bartender, how is it he gets evenings and weekends off? Does he just deal with the weekday day drunks? You'd think he'd want to be working evenings for better tips (not that the bar seems that crowded anyway). Or is it supposed to offer food too, which would make sense that it would be open for lunch.

What exactly was the muffin supposed to look like? Dolly Parton's face or her other "attributes"? The whole being stuck all night was really kind of stupid. Once, when I was stuck in a traffic jam on an interstate because of a fatal accident involving tractor-trailer, the state police closed the road behind us and eventually had all drivers turn around to go the wrong way on the closed road and get off at the nearest exit so we could detour around the accident.

Some of the Brigette stuff was funny, but then it went too far.

The good thing about this episode and the Moving one is that Max finally has some kind of personality.  Since I didn't watch from the beginning, he seemed like a blank slate except for the fact that he's hot and Kat had a crush on him.

Glad Randi got rid of the boyfriend that didn't tip.  He seemed like a jerk just for that fact.  Carter is also a douche so not looking forward to them getting together either.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

Seemed like a real jerkoff just for that fact.  I get trying to change an unjust system, just not on the backs of working folks.

Yup especially since servers can make less than minimum wage in some states but still get taxed on the tips they supposedly made.  In Utah, servers make about $2 an hour.

In my post above, I wrote Carter is also a jerk.  This was based on the city council episode and not wanting to help Randi move.  I'll give him some slack based on the last episode.  He did try to help Randi out with the cat funeral and he's trying to be a good father.

(edited)
1 hour ago, realdancemom said:

In Utah, servers make about $2 an hour.

I think it's a whopping $2.13 an hour nationwide.  I didn't like the boyfriend (I forget his name) doing it, and I especially didn't like the other characters being okay with it.  Wasn't any of their mothers a waitress?

Edited by sugarbaker design
  • Love 2

If he didn't want to tip, he could have patronized places that don't do tipping.  During the pandemic, I know a lot of restaurants I frequented moved from the tipping model to the 18-20% surcharge model where they have employees that are paid a decent wage with health insurance.  I know some servers would probably prefer tips because they can make more at ritzy places but Daniel had choices. 

• Love 2