Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E07: Krystal's Story

• Start Topic

Krystal began overeating to shield herself with a protective layer of obesity after suffering years of abuse. Once a means of protection, her pathological eating now threatens to destroy her life if she doesn't get help.

This is the REGULAR EPISODE thread.  It will open after the first US showing. 

Original air date 2021.02.10

She has the exact same body as her mother!  They all need to admit they got fourth rate genetics and need to stop making other excuses.   That poor kid. You know they do nothing with him, he has life outside of school.  I hope he’s getting therapy and it’s not all about her.  
Can’t facial hair be permanently removed?  

• Love 12

Covid derailed her weight loss and surgery. All that self flagellation, trips to Houston, and calorie restriction was wasted. An interesting couple of people in a sideshow way. I felt bad for that kid that this is his home life and hope his school and schoolmates can reach out to him.

• Love 8

I'm cutting her some slack, due to her horrific childhood. I think she might succeed eventually; I just wish they would find a patient who we can see succeeding before the end of the season. 

This show is starting to feel like 'Big Fat Fabulous Life' (big and fat, but no fabulous) or 'Curse of Oak Island' (they never find any treasure).

• Love 10

Two hours is a pretty long episode for this show. I don't really have anything positive to say about Krystal. I mean, to regain 53 lbs and then ask Now if "I could still get the surgery, right?" What a dumbass.  This was not one of the more compelling or interesting episodes (I went and took a shower during it) for it to have been as long as it is. Hope she eventually loses the weight, but I don't think she's ready to do it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I wonder if her depression was addressed by someone Dr. Paradise, and Dr. Now could refer her to?    I don't think any medication she's on is still working.   (My understanding is many psychiatrists prescribe the medications for depression, and other mental disorders, but psychologists like Dr. Paradise, do the talk therapy).     Dr. Paradise cleared her for her psychological evaluation for Dr. Now's program, but still wanted her to have intensive therapy for her depression.    It's amazing to me that she was doing as well as she was, considering her history of years of abuse.    The initial screening is just for the weight loss program, and that's why many are referred for long term therapy.    

I think she can succeed long term, but it will take a lot of work on her other conditions, and I hope she's going to the big hospital in the neighboring city for more help with her depression medication, PCOS, and other issues.    

From her ending talking head session, she apparently stayed inside for much of the Covid lockdown, even though they seemed to be living out of town.    There is no reason she couldn't walk around the yard, or exercise to DVDs inside the trailer.     However, considering her issues, I'm not surprised she gained so much back, since she was inside the home all of the time from what she said.      I really hope that she will succeed.     

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 4

Her affect was SO flat, you just knew she had major issues even before we heard about them.  What a horrific childhood she had, and considering all that, I think she did better than expected.  When she got derailed by COVID, I was sure she was going to be back up to over 600lbs, so her gaining about 50lbs in 4 months wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.  I mean, most of us (YMMV) have likely gained during this time.  I think she'll be able to lose the weight again once she gets settled in Houston.  *AARGH*

face mask.jpg

• Love 9
3 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I wonder if her depression was addressed by someone Dr. Paradise, and Dr. Now could refer her to?    I don't think any medication she's on is still working.   (My understanding is many psychiatrists prescribe the medications for depression, and other mental disorders, but psychologists like Dr. Paradise, do the talk therapy.     Dr. Paradise cleared her for her psychological evaluation for Dr. Now's program, but still wanted her to have intensive therapy for her depression. 

She mentioned that she was already seeing a psychiatrist for meds and a psychologist for therapy.  (You're correct in your understanding that they do different things.)  In some bariatric programs, even if you're already seeing someone, you must be cleared by a specially trained therapist to be able to go forward with surgery.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, Bluesky said:

Can’t facial hair be permanently removed

Electrolysis, but it hurts and takes forever. It would probably take a year or two of weekly appointments. She has the right complexion for laser which would reduce the hair by at least half. Then wax the rest. I got my underarms lasered and now I tweeze the remainder once a week (it shockingly doesn't hurt at all). Best decision I ever made.

• Useful 5
  • Love 3

I bet laser hair removal would work, and I wish some kind doctor will do that for her, in return for being featured on the show.   It could be life changing for Krystal.   I suspect that's how the one brother of David and Benji had corrective temporary, and later permanent dental care on the show.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

It was a depressing kind of episode. We only get one chance at life, my fingers are crossed for her. 

Most of the patients in this series appear totally gobsmacked that they’ve only lost a few pounds when they’ve apparently ‘worked so hard’. I think a lot of it is portion size. They’re eating the ‘healthy’ stuff but way too much of it. There are ‘diet’ plates you can buy that divide up the portions of veggies, meat etc., which might help. But these people have stretched their stomachs so much I guess they’re always feeling pangs of hunger.

A little thing that’s always bothered me is not hearing please or thank you from many of these patients. Get me this, bring me that, etc. I think they get used to being waited on by family members.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I bet laser hair removal would work, and I wish some kind doctor will do that for her, in return for being featured on the show.   It could be life changing for Krystal

She'd have to lose the weight first, though. And from what I've (perfunctorily) googled about PCOS, there's a chance just losing a significant amount of weight would benefit the facial hair situation. 

Unrelated, but why did Krystal keep referring to Josh as her son? I thought she narrated that he was her druggie sister's kid. Did she actually adopt him?

• Love 1
58 minutes ago, sempervivum said:

She'd have to lose the weight first, though. And from what I've (perfunctorily) googled about PCOS, there's a chance just losing a significant amount of weight would benefit the facial hair situation. 

Unrelated, but why did Krystal keep referring to Josh as her son? I thought she narrated that he was her druggie sister's kid. Did she actually adopt him?

I wasn't totally listening when she was talking about how he came to live with her; I remember hearing her say she got custody of him, but I'm not sure if she actually adopted him. (The on-screen ID also said "son" and she referred to her husband (who's name, despite the many comments about it in the live chat, including by me, I am completely blanking on at the moment) as his dad at one point.

• Love 1

I recorded and watched this afternoon. Some observations...

Krystal looked SO masculine. PCOS is a bitch. The nice manicure and the beard were just weird for me. 

I was mesmerized watching Freelin chewing his salad. I'm pretty sure he doesn't have teeth. There is like an inch between his nose and his jaw.

TAKE YOUR PHONE OUT OF YOUR BRA!!!! Omg, this drives me batshit. It's not a purse!

I have to say, I could put a hurt on that big bowl of sketti with meat sauce. However, there was enough garlic toast for Josh's entire classroom. 

Doc Paradise has to lose the glasses! Looking adorable on Skype without them. I think he's cute as a button. 

PUT YOUR MASK ON CORRECTLY!!!! It. Goes. Over. The. NOSE!

Why does everyone weigh with shoes on? Hell, if my Dr. would allow me to completely disrobe in the office to weigh, I would!

I can't believe Krystal was that mobile at that weight. Is she tall?

Do any participants take note that they must move to Houston to be on the program? Do they think they'll just fly in for surgery and go home?

Will there be ANY success stories this season?

• LOL 4
  • Love 10
7 hours ago, Pondlass1 said:

A little thing that’s always bothered me is not hearing please or thank you from many of these patients. Get me this, bring me that, etc. I think they get used to being waited on by family members.

I heard her say thank you once.  It was in a segment that I missed during the live chat.  I came back and spent about 30 minutes watching the sections I missed which led me to a few questions.

1.  what happened to grandpa?   was he just visiting for dinner that one time?  or did he live there and not want to be filmed?

2.  why did they take Josh on all three trips to Houston?  could he not have stayed with Gramps or the grandmother?

3. they mentioned a book bag on several occasions which looked like a square hard suitcase.  Do they read?  I was thinking maybe she meant her backpack but I think she meant the suitcase.

4 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I wasn't totally listening when she was talking about how he came to live with her; I remember hearing her say she got custody of him, but I'm not sure if she actually adopted him. (The on-screen ID also said "son" and she referred to her husband (who's name, despite the many comments about it in the live chat, including by me, I am completely blanking on at the moment) as his dad at one point.

I thought she said adopted at one point, but I don't want to watch it again.  Also if she got him when he was a baby, they would be the only mom and dad he knew.  And since she didn't mention his birth father, this Freelin dude might truly be the only dad he has known.  I hated that they filmed Josh so much.  I would much prefer for them only to mention him.   If he goes back to an average classroom, everybody will know all this about his family, although since the town --or rather, village--is only about 1000 people, I guess most people know the parents. 

Not sure which airport they flew from;  they are about 40 minutes to Columbus and about 75 to Cincinnati, and she said the trip to the airport took a couple of hours.  I guess if the airport in Columbus is on the opposite side of the city, it might also take that long.  That was a pretty boring trip through the airport.

Speaking of airports,  who schedules an appointment for an hour and a half after your plane is scheduled to arrive.  Even if you last flew 20 years ago, surely you can remember in addition to the tiny seats that flights often are late or delayed. 

3 hours ago, WonTon said:

I can't hate on her. She had a horrid childhood, but still seems like a good person. Taking in her sister's kid. And no excuses or whining about her weight struggles.

I did like her by the end of the show.  She seems to have plans to move to Houston, and I am glad her mom is going with her instead of Josh.  The first few times it came up she kept mentioning taking Josh. 

I also liked the sign on the wall--I didn't copy it down  but it was something like "life is better with a kitty"

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Twopper said:

Not sure which airport they flew from;  they are about 40 minutes to Columbus and about 75 to Cincinnati, and she said the trip to the airport took a couple of hours.  I guess if the airport in Columbus is on the opposite side of the city, it might also take that long.  That was a pretty boring trip through the airport.

It look like Columbus’s airport to me, and she was about 45 min to an hour away. It was weird to see an airport in your town on tv. 

I think they got on board at Gate E-something, and Columbus only has A, B, and C concourses.

EDITED TO ADMIT I WAS WRONG:  It is Columbus, definitely.  I stand corrected.

Edited by Roxie
  • Love 2

Watching in delay recorded on our Sling account. Tonight’s eating habit was Rubio’s Fish tacos. A Diet Coke and two Oreo cookies for dessert. 

What a horrid horrid thing to do to a young child. Let’s start there. Just awful the damage this does. I was sympathetic and also hoping for her. 

Freelin’s hair and gammer gum face remind me of one of the Lord of the Rings cast members. I kept thinking he’d be great for a queer-eye makeover. Clean up that “I’ve lost all concern for my grooming” beard for starters. Then search the double wide to find those missing teeth.  Is he also depressed? It is this a style thing in Ohio?  He wasn’t chatty, but he seemed to be quietly supportive of her at times in his own way.

Losing 91 lbs in three months shows she *can* do it. Even with the 50 lbs setback during the lockdown. 

I hope she can get back on track. I’d love to see her succeed. 

• Love 3
On 2/11/2021 at 3:51 PM, ams1001 said:

I wasn't totally listening when she was talking about how he came to live with...

This is how I am, with all the TLC programs that Discovery + has left us.
Watched the show while I'm doing Facebook  or watching Dr. Pimple Popper youtubes.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Scratches19 said:

Freelin’s hair and gammer gum face remind me of one of the Lord of the Rings cast members. I kept thinking he’d be great for a queer-eye makeover. Clean up that “I’ve lost all concern for my grooming” beard for starters. Then search the double wide to find those missing teeth.  Is he also depressed? It is this a style thing in Ohio?  He wasn’t chatty, but he seemed to be quietly supportive of her at times in his own way.

That unkempt beard is quite common in more rural areas here in Ohio. I have seen it here in Columbus, but it’s rare. 

On 2/11/2021 at 12:40 PM, Pondlass1 said:

Get me this, bring me that, etc. I think they get used to being waited on by family members.

But that just can't be possible, given that she told Dr. Now that she is going to start focusing on herself instead of on everyone else as she has been doing...you know, during her waking hours of 11:30 am to 7:00 pm, when she isn't eating or napping.

On 2/11/2021 at 10:21 PM, AZChristian said:

A 75-minute drive can take a lot longer when you have to stop several times for food.

When they were approaching Houston on one of the drives, she talked about wanting the weigh-in to go well, so she stopped eating for about 2 hours before the weigh-in, and it was sooo hard.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

I found Krystal to be quite likable, as well as her family members, which is unusual for this show. She was more mobile than most participants, I think she was tall so the weight was better distributed? I felt so badly for her having to deal with and live with that facial hair. I can actually understand her confusion as to her sexuality due to her extensive sexual abuse by males. Freelin was quiet but sweet and supportive. And Josh is a beautiful child but looks kind of dead behind the eyes. 
It’s unfortunate that Covid threw a monkey wrench in her plans but by the end of the episode it looked like she was taking steps to ultimately reach success. I’m pulling for her!

• Love 5

I hope Krystal is a total success, and gets more help for her physical issues, and that she gets the right medication, and treatment for her depression.    It was so refreshing to see Freelin, and Krystal sit down, talk about how they could support the family, and support her program with Dr. Now.    I'm hoping Dr. Paradise was able to help her with more therapy, and that who ever is prescribing her depression medication can help her with her medications.       With her past history of abuse, I'm surprised she's able to lead any kind of life, and hope that with Dr. Now, and others cooperating, she can have the life she deserves.    She seems like a wonderful person, and I hope that Freelin, Josh, and Krystal have the life that they deserve.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3
On 2/18/2021 at 1:14 AM, Taleeya said:

Can't believe no one has mentioned this....  she was with a woman for TWELVE YEARS and THEN decided she wasn't a lesbian?    

She graduated high school at 18, was a lesbian and lived with a woman for 12 years, then at 30 moved in with her sister and Josh. In the past four years, the sister has overdosed three times, she married Freelin, and gained custody of Josh. I’m picturing the judge choosing between the birth mother who keeps overdosing and the aunt who is depressed, supermorbidly obese and sleeps 16 hours a day. What an awful situation for Josh, calling a toothless stranger dad and living with an aunt who is consumed by her own problems, not Josh’s. I hope he joins the Navy at 17 and gets out of that depressing hell hole.

I spent 5 minutes last night watching the bonus sections.  There was an expanded version of the discussion with her mother right before they left wherein Freelin' makes an admission that Dr Now will call him an enabler, but he can deal with that as long as Dr Now fusses more at Krystal.  It actually seemed a little humorous when I saw it, but writing it down makes him come across as more of a jerk than I think he is.  I just hope he can get some teeth. I did get the feelin' that they had binge-watched some episodes, although I think they all ff through the parts where the poundticipants are told they must lose x amount of weight in so many munts and that he may withdraw his approval if they stop losing or gain. I guess they figure "once approved, always approved" or some such.   I think the second bonus part was a stop at a fast food place, but maybe that was in the original and I don't recall it.  It was at the start of day 2 when she quit driving.  And the third was her going for a walk with Josh "around the block" during COVID.  I never did see a block; it was more like they walked down the street and back.  Or maybe she said her goal was to walk around the block.  They are in a somewhat rural area, and I wasn't sure where there was a block around which they could walk.

• Love 3

On her first trip to Houston, she drove a lot the first day.  She says she doesn't drive more than 5 to 10 minutes at home, so having her drive the first day as long as she could seems a dangerous idea.       Freelin (husband, however it's spelled) and Krystal's Zaxby's dinner the first night looks tasty.    But she said that they stopped five times already on day one to get food.   Dr. Now is not going to like seeing this footage. 

It's been so long since I saw this that I forgot she has a really interesting back story.    However, I admire that Krystal and Freelin adopted her nephew when his mother couldn't care for him.     I hope she had help for her depression, sleeping 16 hours a day is horrible.   

• Love 1