Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E09: Conspiracy

Aulty

Glenn is confused by Zephra’s new store policies and enlists the help of Sandra and Marcus to figure out what’s going on. A memory lapse causes Jonah to question his friendship with Garrett. Cheyenne and Mateo face an unexpected challenge with their ongoing beef.

Original Air Date: 02/11/2021

Edited by Aulty

Glenn's look when Jonah said that not everyone believes in heaven was priceless, even with half of his face covered by a mask.

Just as I started to think that Marcus is becoming less obnoxious, he outs himself as a flat-earther. 

I loved Sandra telling the Zephra IT guy that she takes "full responsibility" for the server room break-in, then giving him Cheyenne's name and address.

• LOL 7
  • Love 5
8 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

I loved Sandra telling the Zephra IT guy that she takes "full responsibility" for the server room break-in, then giving him Cheyenne's name and address.

That bothered me.  Why not throw Carol under the bus?

• LOL 5
  • Love 4

Of course Marcus is a flat eather....

Also, Colton Dunn (the actor playing Garrett) wrote the monologue where Jonah says nice things about Garrett. I'd like to think Colton enjoyed making Ben Feldman say those things.

• LOL 3
  • Love 5

I am loving how the writers are working in real issues, but in really funny ways.  The election & recount earlier this season, the ridiculous conspiracy theories, etc.  Even the bit about religion and "not everyone believes in heaven" is not somewhere most sitcoms will go.  And it's done so well!  Absolutely hilarious! 

I wish they didn't bother with the Dena/Garrett/Vet open relationship thing.  I feel like they were trying to satisfy both Dina shipping camps - those who wanted her to be with the vet, and those who wanted her to be with Garrett.  So they figured, hey!  She'll be with both!  ugh. 

I love Jonah and Garrett together.  Jonah is a better character with Amy gone. 

Sandra throwing Cheyenne under the bus was great! 

• Love 9
21 hours ago, chaifan said:

I am loving how the writers are working in real issues, but in really funny ways.  The election & recount earlier this season, the ridiculous conspiracy theories, etc.  Even the bit about religion and "not everyone believes in heaven" is not somewhere most sitcoms will go.  And it's done so well!  Absolutely hilarious! 

I agree! But *Marcus beating on the door to the secret Zephra room with a fire extinguisher felt a little *too* close to accurate. 

Edited by invisiblegirl12
edited because I'm terrible about names
  • Love 2
19 minutes ago, invisiblegirl12 said:

I agree! But Garrett beating on the door to the secret Zephra room with a fire extinguisher felt a little *too* close to accurate. 

OMG.  I didn't even think about that! 

I'll admit, I was disappointed to find it was the electrical room.  Glen and Dina both would have known about that, there's no reason for them not to.  I was hoping for another super secret employee break room, or to find out (again) someone was living in the store, or something like that. 

• Love 2

Yeah, Glen should be given very limited access to the internet, he is way too trusting for internet forums. The plots were all pretty good this week, I especially enjoyed Cheyenne and Mateo needing other people to witness their fight for it to be interesting for them, and then trying to spice the fight up with more of a plotline. "So the baby is yours...and Bo's?" 

Jonah and Garret were a lot of fun, but I have no clue where they are going with Dina and Garret. Just have them be a couple or not, it feels so half assed this way. 

"I'm really glad we didn't put a stop to this quickly Jonah."  

I could watch a whole episode of just the weird stuff costumers are doing in the background or in cutaway shots. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, invisiblegirl12 said:

I agree! But Garrett beating on the door to the secret Zephra room with a fire extinguisher felt a little *too* close to accurate. 

The funny thing is, I am pretty sure this was filmed last year.

• Useful 1
31 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

The funny thing is, I am pretty sure this was filmed last year.

Oh, it was.  But it's like the whole vote/recount plot from "Floor Supervisor".  It was filmed way before the election, but was just so spot on!  I swear someone on the writing staff has an in with My Friends Psychic Network. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

Did you all know that Colton Dunne, who plays Garrett, wrote this episode?

Yes I noticed it in the opening credits. I thought it was just an OK episode. The stuff about the staff going all in on crazy conspiracy theories was typical for this show. 

I did think Cheyenne and Mateo got in a few good jabs with each other, especially the one about Mateo looking like a Pixar character that got put into the microwave.

When they showed that old photo of Mateo with boy band hair, I actually thought he looked way better than he does now. Those awful glasses he wears aren't doing him any favors.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

I did think Cheyenne and Mateo got in a few good jabs with each other, especially the one about Mateo looking like a Pixar character that got put into the microwave.

"You'd be Dreamworks, bitch."

My favorite exchange of the evening!

• LOL 8
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, chaifan said:

Oh, it was.  But it's like the whole vote/recount plot from "Floor Supervisor".  It was filmed way before the election, but was just so spot on!  I swear someone on the writing staff has an in with My Friends Psychic Network. 

Ha.  It reminds me of The West Wing. That used to happen all the time. 

• Love 1

I really enjoyed this one, so good for Colton Dunn.  I totally bought Cheyenne and Mateo feuding primarily for audience feedback.  And cute retort from Sayid about it being an Impossible burger because it's a fake beef.

This is such a great collection of actors.  Even when they have just a couple lines they really nail it.  It shocks me that they manage to keep Marcus somewhat likeable.

Another good bit:
     Dina: How does a bird kill itself?
     Janet: It stops flapping.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

I don’t know, I didn’t find the whole conspiracy thing funny at all because the current conspiracy theories that real people actually believe in are so much more crazy that this didn’t even come across like a parody. And those people are doing so much damage to this country. 

• Love 4

I didn’t find the whole conspiracy thing funny at all because the current conspiracy theories that real people actually believe in are so much more crazy that this didn’t even come across like a parody. And those people are doing so much damage to this country. 

Well it's kind of like the panic buying when the pandemic started. It sure as hell wasn't funny in real life when it happened but by the time Superstore did its parody it was far enough removed to be funny. It's really what this show does best. That said, you know there are people sitting at home nodding their heads in agreement when Marcus says the earth is flat. 🤔

• Love 2

I found it a bit implausible (but just a bit) that no one knew that the mystery room held the electronics stuff that kept the store displays going. At the very least, Glenn and Dina should have known. If no one gets in big trouble for that mess, I'll be surprised (but only somewhat)

• Love 2

I am happy that Dina didn't believe the conspiracy theories.  She would have done a lot more damage than Marcus, Sandra and Glenn did.  

I hoped the open relationship would be largely forgotten, but it looks like they are going to keep bringing it up.  I have found nothing funny about any of that storyline.  

• Love 3

The panic buying scenes I thought were hilarious. It’s far enough in the past and really “toilet paper shortage” is just an inherently funny image. Watching Marcus yell “Freedom!” while banging open a locked door with a fire hydrant because of conspiracy theories on the other hand... 😬 

• Love 5
9 hours ago, DanaK said:

I found it a bit implausible (but just a bit) that no one knew that the mystery room held the electronics stuff that kept the store displays going. At the very least, Glenn and Dina should have known. If no one gets in big trouble for that mess, I'll be surprised (but only somewhat)

Marcus really didn't do much harm, he just pulled out the cables to some computers. At worse he broke the little plastic parts that lock those cables into the ports. Someone who knows what they are doing putting the cables back in the right ports and replacing the cables that broke their plastic tabs and everything should be back to normal.

I agree that in the shot of him pulling the plugs it looks like he only grabbed network cables, but I thought when they cut to what was happening in the store it made it seem like he'd also unplugged some power cables, which is potentially not good depending on what exactly for.

Normally you'd be fired for breaking down a door, but since the store managers were part of the action, it would be hard to just fire Marcus. 

Definitely disruption of store operations, including inability to use the cash registers to check customers out, would set the store back because they can't sell anything for a few hours while they wait for tech support to reboot them. 

I would think the managers would be in the most trouble, but it's a sitcom, so... whatever?

• Love 1
On 2/13/2021 at 10:46 PM, theatremouse said:

I agree that in the shot of him pulling the plugs it looks like he only grabbed network cables, but I thought when they cut to what was happening in the store it made it seem like he'd also unplugged some power cables, which is potentially not good depending on what exactly for.

I think the pictures on the TVs went out since their video source (streaming?) was disrupted. Same with cash registers.