Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E06: C-Section in Jeopardy

• Start Topic

(edited)

Lilly & Lawrence—I forgot what a stupid bitch she is.  She admits she received sex education, but she wasn’t paying attention and didn’t realize how easy it was to get pregnant?  She and I come from the same state (not to say all curricula throughout the state is uniform, but I’ve never heard it go down any other way), and in elementary school, we had AIDS education, and in 10th grade it was already old hat when the gym teacher would pace in front of us like an obese Gunnery Sergeant Hartman, shouting in our faces “It!  Only!  Takes!  One!  Sperm!”  Lilly’s dumb, and her mom is dumb to raise Aaliyah, because it fostered the behavior of...getting pregnant again!  I hate her voice, I hate her tattoo that says “Aaliyah.”  Why doesn’t she go after the first baby daddy for child support?  Is it because her mom and stepdad take care of everything for Lilly, so it doesn’t matter to her where the money comes from?  

Lawrence grosses me out.  He is “pretty sure” he slid up on Lilly’s Snapchat story?  Aside from the fact that I am grateful that I am not entirely sure what that means, is that his way of saying he was cyberstalking her, because she was a Q-list fame whore?  What does he do?  He isn’t missing any meals, especially not at Lilly’s mom’s house.  I don’t know who is dumber, Lilly or her mom.  If Lilly’s “almost positive” that she and Lawrence will never split up, and she’s 19 and he’s 19...why don’t they get married?  Or why don’t they mention the option?  I don’t believe for one second that she missed one pill and doubled up the next day a bunch of times.  From what I understand, there is still over a 90% success rate for preventing pregnancy for people who actually do that.  I think she took the pill intermittently until she/they decided it was time to get pregnant again to get some fame, and then she stopped altogether.  She’s 19.  If she didn’t get pregnant again, she might have to get a job and make something of herself.  Why do that when there’s a TV show to film with the guy who slid into your SnapChat?  

Myrka & Ethan—I hate her saying “coochie.”  Literally any other euphemism for the vagina would be better.  God forbid a woman who is having a baby should call her vagina a vagina.  I have a feeling, from the way Myrka speaks, that this is just the first “unexpected” baby in a long, chaotic succession of fathers and babies and she doesn’t think there is a thing wrong with it.  Virtual strangers supporting her is a-ok for Myrka.  She probably looks as it as a boon, which it is, but pump your brakes, stupid.  You’re gonna come up short someday when you’re not so cute and your ta-tas are not so high.  

Earth to Ethan’s dad:  Actually, Liliana doesn’t need to “pull her weight” with regard to someone else’s pregnancy.  She clearly doesn’t need to, because she’s not doing it and the world isn’t stopping.  Maybe Ethan’s dad should focus on Myrka and Ethan pulling their own weight.  This baby didn’t come from the stork.  It came from people who knew about protection and chose not to use it...because they knew you would support their stupid choices, you walked right into their stupid trap, and it has nothing to do with the other grandmother, unless she gave Myrka IVF against her will while she was unconscious.  Given this is not a soap opera, that scenario is highly unlikely.  

Tyra & Alex—is she really blaming the rain for not seeing her baby, like this is 1842 and she’s taking a covered wagon over a bridge?  She really slid downhill for me from last season.  Last season she had normal human emotion.  This season she seems so cold and jaded.  Alex is walking on eggshells, but that’s who he is.  He’s spineless.  She’s going to get bitchier and bitchier, and in response, he’s going to retreat like a turtle into his shell, and this viscous cycle is going to make them both hate each other and themselves.  It’s sad.  He’s about the flip the fucking table over?  No, he’ll never flip the fucking table over, he will sit there and take it for the rest of his life, and Tyra doesn’t respect that.  He could use a decent haircut too.  That only worked for Kid N Play.  

With regard to Alex’s grandmother “just barging in” on Tyra and Alex, I despise parents (and grandparents) who “bust in” on teenage/adult children of the opposite sex hanging out, like the mother in Manchester By the Sea.  If you don’t want people having sex/having oral sex/making out in your house, have the balls enough to say that they can’t be in a bedroom with the door closed.  Barging in constantly is just horrible manners, it sends mixed signals, and don’t the adults in the situation feel the slightest bit like they’re going to walk in on their daughter giving a blowjob or something?  Do they not care?  

Reanna & Taron—I felt like this is a retread from last week, except with masks.  She’s clearly getting a c-section, but the staff was obligated to inform her that the procedure for getting the c-section would be different because of Covid, which is not something I expect any of these people to grasp.  Nothing is going on with these two.  The mom’s voice is so annoying.  Another group of people who can’t use anatomy properly.  Why can’t these people say “anus” in a medical situation?  It’s not her butt; her buttocks were not moved.  They tell us this every episode and it makes me crazy.  I have a feeling that this couple was only included because the girl is so young and the couple have fair complexions and they are semi, sort of good looking.  Change two of any of those three factors and they would not have made the cut.  They give the same stuff every week.  They’re mildly unhappy, they argue, they sulk, lather, rinse, repeat.  Total bores.  

Oh, no Jenna this week.  She was missed sorely—said no one ever.  

Edited by LibertarianSlut
Names
  • Love 15

I had thought it was highly questionable to have fireworks and chair covers and dancers for a teenager's baby shower, but figured if Ethan's parents have that kind of money to burn, that's their choice.  But if Ethan's dad is now working two jobs to support his new grandchild, then it was completely insane to host that kind of event unless discovery was footing the bill (which I don't think happened since none of the other girls got that kind of over the top bridezilla-esque baby shower).    

Actually, Liliana doesn’t need to “pull her weight” with regard to someone else’s pregnancy.  

I agree that Liliana doesn't have to support the grandchild, but a lawyer would need to weigh in on whether she can legally refuse to support Myrka until her 18th birthday.   I'm just not sure if Liliana can turn custody of Myrka over to the state or to Ethan's parents and not be required to pay child support.  I'm just not certain if Myrka is considered an emancipated minor once she gives birth.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, kitkat343 said:

...event unless discovery was footing the bill (which I don't think happened since none of the other girls got that kind of over the top bridezilla-esque baby shower).  

Isn't it all in how these "stars" negotiate the extras they want TLC to provide?  Some are just smarter than others.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

Isn't it all in how these "stars" negotiate the extras they want TLC to provide?  Some are just smarter than others.

I think TLC put on that extravaganza baby reveal or Lilliana would not have attended.  If daddy paid for it then he's a bigger fool then I thought!

Lilliana won't spend a dime of her money on anybody.  Money is like crack to her and she's not sharing.

What surprises me is that Myreka keeps trying.  Most young girls walk away.  Interesting dynamic going on there.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, kitkat343 said:

I had thought it was highly questionable to have fireworks and chair covers and dancers for a teenager's baby shower, but figured if Ethan's parents have that kind of money to burn, that's their choice.  But if Ethan's dad is now working two jobs to support his new grandchild, then it was completely insane to host that kind of event unless discovery was footing the bill (which I don't think happened since none of the other girls got that kind of over the top bridezilla-esque baby shower).   

That wasn't even a baby shower - it was the gender reveal!  I don't even want to know if there was a follow-up baby shower.  Seriously, are we supposed to feel sorry for gramps-to-be for throwing this ridiculous over-the-top party and then cry about having to take on a second job???  These people seriously live in an alternate reality!

• Love 11
4 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

Lilliana won't spend a dime of her money on anybody.  Money is like crack to her and she's not sharing.

I'm not sure I agree that's her motivation.  She said she believed that Myrka's life would be ruined by a pregnancy.  And she said she wouldn't have anything to do with raising another baby, which I think was a warning that she was serious.  What else could she do to keep her daughter from ruining her life?  It's obvious that you can tell kids over and over not to get pregnant, but they do it anyway.  So Liliana put as much force behind her words as possible, and now she's following through.  It's bound to hurt her, and I think her saying that Myrka kicked herself out is a way to cope.  But I have no problem with her not backing down, because it's infuriating when you make your position clear and people don't believe you.  Plus, that's not what Myrka's little brother needs to see.  Myrka may be beyond saving, but maybe he's not.

So I don't think it's just about money.

15 hours ago, LibertarianSlut said:

Maybe Ethan’s dad should focus on Myrka and Ethan pulling their own weight.  This baby didn’t come from the stork.  It came from people who knew about protection and chose not to use it...because they knew you would support their stupid choices, you walked right into their stupid trap, and it has nothing to do with the other grandmother, unless she gave Myrka IVF against her will while she was unconscious.

I don't think they put that much thought into it.  In fact, it looks like the only thought Myrka put into it was that her mother wouldn't actually kick her out.  She thought wrong.

But Ethan's parents get on my last nerve talking about what LIliana needs to be doing.  They don't get to swoop in and take over, in direct contravention of what Liliana wanted for her daughter, and then rag on Liliana for not contributing.  She didn't ask them to do that, so she owes them nothing.

I really really want to see how this plays out over time.  Maybe Ethan and Liliana will stay together forever, but the odds are they won't, and there's not a chance in hell Ethan's parents are going to be okay with Myrka taking off with the baby.  And that's even assuming Myrka figures out how to do that financially, which isn't a given. 

15 hours ago, LibertarianSlut said:

I have a feeling that this couple was only included because the girl is so young and the couple have fair complexions and they are semi, sort of good looking.

I'd say that Taron is kind of average, but Reanna is singularly unattractive to me.  Her face resembles a pig's.  And her constant scowl doesn't help. 

What I don't understand is why, if things were already bad enough for them to be cancelling elective c-sections, and for Taron not to be allowed to go in on this visit, neither Reanna nor her mother was wearing a mask when they went to Dr. Stork-Fury's.  Or at least it didn't look like they were--I don't think the camera wasn't on them full-face. 

Regardless, in previous episodes, the discussion was that Taron was never going to be allowed to be there for the birth, because she was allowed one person and she'd made it clear it would be her mother.  So I don't know why he was getting all upset about it in this episode, too. 

• Love 3
54 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

What I don't understand is why, if things were already bad enough for them to be cancelling elective c-sections, and for Taron not to be allowed to go in on this visit, neither Reanna nor her mother was wearing a mask when they went to Dr. Stork-Fury's.  Or at least it didn't look like they were--I don't think the camera wasn't on them full-face. 

Because the visit was probably filmed early enough in the pandemic that masks weren't yet recommended for the general public. I work for a hospital, elective surgeries were stopped weeks before everyone was told to wear masks. 

And Taron wasn't going to be allowed in the room during the c-section, but would have been in the waiting room. Now he'll be at home.

Edited by Crumpet
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Crumpet said:

And Taron wasn't going to be allowed in the room during the c-section, but would have been in the waiting room. Now he'll be at home.

He can be in the f*cking parking lot. Get over it, Taron.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, kitkat343 said:

I agree that Liliana doesn't have to support the grandchild, but a lawyer would need to weigh in on whether she can legally refuse to support Myrka until her 18th birthday.

Good point.  I’m no Texas family lawyer, but I did a quick search, and it looks like it’s not legal for a parent to kick their minor child out or fail to meet the minor’s basic needs in the event that the child becomes pregnant.  It is considered neglect to do this (no mention of a responsibility for a parent to care for a minor’s child, so that checked out).  The mom can allow the minor child to live somewhere else, as she did, but if Ethan’s parents had taken Myrka in without Liliana’s consent, they could be on the hook for kidnapping (which clearly isn’t the case here, but I just included that part because I think it lends credence to the idea that this entire thing was a voluntary transaction). 

So, this is just my opinion, but I don’t think Liliana “kicked out” Myrka in the sense that she changed the locks while Myrka was gone, or ordered her off the property with threat of force if Myrka didn’t vacate the premises.  It took me less than a minute of google searching to find alll of these numbers to call in Texas if you are a minor and your parent does something like this, so if the girl was really in a bind, she could have gone to a school counselor or just done a google search like I did.  I think Myrka was happy to have been “kicked out.”  

I wish, instead of having nine million “gender reveals” and baby showers and fights about same, this show would explore interesting things, like what actually happened between Myrka and her mom.  In this episode, they made reference to it, and Liliana told Myrka that she didn’t kick her out, that Myrka kicked herself out, and that makes no sense.  They could have/should have fleshed it out more and taken a little time away from Ethan’s parents bitching about Liliana, or Tyra bitching about Alex or Taron bitching about having to sit in a car for a few minutes.  

My opinion is that Myrka got pregnant (more or less on purpose), Liliana made it clear that their home would become a hostile environment, so Myrka moved in with the middle-class family of the homely boy she’s screwing so that she could watch TV on 60” flatscreens instead of scrubbing floors and taking care of her brother.  Again...IMO, not a Liliana problem.  It’s not Liliana’s problem that Ethan’s dad opted to work two jobs so that he could literally be Captain Save A Ho.  

2 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Reanna is singularly unattractive to me.  Her face resembles a pig's.

Agreed.  Last night especially, she looked positively porcine in the nose.  Pregnancies can really fuck up a woman’s face, though (I think Bethenny Frankel’s jaw quadrupled in size when she was pregnant, and then scaled back to its former size of merely ‘huge’ after she had her baby) and Reanna looked like a really cute girl in some of the pre-pregnancy pics they showed.  But people also filter themselves to high heaven in their Insta pics, so maybe she is just an ugly girl.  There’s nothing special about them.  They’re so boring.  

• Love 5
8 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

What surprises me is that Myreka keeps trying.  Most young girls walk away.  Interesting dynamic going on there

Maybe that's where abused wives originate.

7 hours ago, suzeecat said:

These people seriously live in an alternate reality!

These shows ARE "alternate reality".

3 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Plus, that's not what Myrka's little brother needs to see. 

That boy probably sees and experiences plenty-o-negative stuff now that Myrka isn't home to mother him.

• Love 2

What else could she do to keep her daughter from ruining her life?

Teach her about and provide birth control! It works. There's never been a study showing that threatening your teenager prevents pregnancy. But there are a ton of data showing that education and free birth control do. If Liliana had brought Myrka to get the shot, implant, or IUD, and Myrka refused, you know that Liliana would be throwing that in Myrka's face. But let's get real -- the parents who do that don't end up on this show.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, LibertarianSlut said:

In this episode, they made reference to it, and Liliana told Myrka that she didn’t kick her out, that Myrka kicked herself out, and that makes no sense

I interpret it that Liliana had told Myrka what the consequences would be if she got pregnant.  By choosing to get pregnant, Myrka kicked herself out. 

To flesh that out a little, Liliana's stance was that getting pregnant would ruin Myrka's life, plus Liliana said she's not going to raise another baby, period.  So it wasn't actually the getting pregnant, but instead getting pregnant and keeping the baby that triggered the consequences.  What we don't know is if Liliana would have accepted adoption as an alternative.  I highly suspect that Ethan's parents pressured Myrka hard against abortion, and I wouldn't be surprised if they would also lobby hard against adoption. 

7 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

That boy probably sees and experiences plenty-o-negative stuff now that Myrka isn't home to mother him.

But at least he's going to know that his mother means business--something Myrka apparently didn't appreciate.

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

But at least he's going to know that his mother means business--something Myrka apparently didn't appreciate.

something Myrka  apparently didn't appreciate  just couldn't believe.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, IvySpice said:

Teach her about and provide birth control! It works. There's never been a study showing that threatening your teenager prevents pregnancy. But there are a ton of data showing that education and free birth control do. If Liliana had brought Myrka to get the shot, implant, or IUD, and Myrka refused, you know that Liliana would be throwing that in Myrka's face. But let's get real -- the parents who do that don't end up on this show.

They knew about birth control; they chose not to use it. Ethan himself said they just didn’t use a condom. 

• Love 2

@LibertarianSlut I searched the same thing regarding “ kicking out” a minor child in Texas. According to Myrka’s bio on TLC, she was 15 when she got pregnant. A parent can’t legally absolve oneself from the responsibility of a minor child in Texas because she is pregnant, if I read correctly. That doesn’t mean the parent is also responsible for the grandchild— but the care and support of the minor (Myrka) is still the responsibility of the parent (Myrka’s mother). 
Pregnancy does not automatically emancipate a minor— as far as I understand, it is a legal action that is initiated by the minor that a judge must approve.

• Love 6
On 1/25/2021 at 3:00 PM, StatisticalOutlier said:

that's not what Myrka's little brother needs to see.  Myrka may be beyond saving, but maybe he's not.

In total agreement here. Since teenage pregnancies seem to be a generational recurrence among these families, perhaps it’s best for Brother Myrka to see what happens and possibly learn from it. 

On 1/25/2021 at 5:59 PM, LibertarianSlut said:

Liliana told Myrka that she didn’t kick her out, that Myrka kicked herself out, and that makes no sense.  

Liliana warned Myrka and Myrka didn’t listen. Myrka made her own bed (and it wasn’t going to be at her mother’s house) and now has to sleep in it. 

So Ethan’s father now has to spend more time away from his own wife, son and baby to make enough money to support them all. And that will most likely go on ad infinitum. He’ll need to embrace the suck until Ethan and Myrka can find decent employment. Wonder when that will be?

Whatshername won’t be happy until she has four kids with four different fathers (a 4x4) and her idiot mother just sits there and smiles. Do any of these teen parents work (other than Alex, who makes it seem like he’s watching Layla 24/7 and then said something about having an actual job, which took me by surprise)? 

• Love 5

I appreciate Liliana's position that "Myrna kicked herself out of the house" -- actions have consequences. But I have to wonder if Liliana has a history of caving, waffling, giving in?? Because when my parents said "the consequence will be X" that was the law. The consequence was X. Period. By the time I got to potential-pregnancy age, and experimentation with alcohol, etc. I KNEW. I KNEW if I did X, what would happen was Y.  I was so paranoid about pregnancy, I used to use the "3 method minimum --- the pill, the sponge AND a condom" LOL LOL (yes, showing my age with the sponge). Yeah, kids do stupid stuff, and don't think ahead, sometimes don't think, period. But if you know your parent's word is law, I think you act differently. Myrna either got pregnant on purpose, Liliana has a history of caving, or she called her Mom's bluff. Heck of a way to learn a lesson.

• Love 6
9 hours ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

So Ethan’s father now has to spend more time away from his own wife, son and baby to make enough money to support them all. And that will most likely go on ad infinitum. He’ll need to embrace the suck until Ethan and Myrka can find decent employment. Wonder when that will be?

I just remember how cute and giggly they were when they were explaining how Ethan didn't use a condom. If dad had to take second job for the sex reveal party. He might as well take out a second mortgage for the shower and arrival of the baby. I don't remember the results of the sex reveal, that's how much I care.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Mr. Miner said:

I don't remember the results of the sex reveal, that's how much I care.

Last episode I commented:

Myrka: I’m so excited that I’m having a daughter.

Me: And in 16 years, you’ll be attending HER gender reveal party.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
On 1/26/2021 at 1:33 AM, StatisticalOutlier said:

I interpret it that Liliana had told Myrka what the consequences would be if she got pregnant.  By choosing to get pregnant, Myrka kicked herself out. 

To flesh that out a little, Liliana's stance was that getting pregnant would ruin Myrka's life, plus Liliana said she's not going to raise another baby, period.  So it wasn't actually the getting pregnant, but instead getting pregnant and keeping the baby that triggered the consequences.  What we don't know is if Liliana would have accepted adoption as an alternative.  I highly suspect that Ethan's parents pressured Myrka hard against abortion, and I wouldn't be surprised if they would also lobby hard against adoption. 

Right, but does his mother’s ultimatum only apply to daughters? Will she “kick him out” if she finds out he has impregnated someone?

• Useful 4
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, TeapotWakeen said:

I appreciate Liliana's position that "Myrna kicked herself out of the house" -- actions have consequences. But I have to wonder if Liliana has a history of caving, waffling, giving in?? Because when my parents said "the consequence will be X" that was the law. The consequence was X. Period. By the time I got to potential-pregnancy age, and experimentation with alcohol, etc. I KNEW. I KNEW if I did X, what would happen was Y.  I was so paranoid about pregnancy, I used to use the "3 method minimum --- the pill, the sponge AND a condom" LOL LOL (yes, showing my age with the sponge). Yeah, kids do stupid stuff, and don't think ahead, sometimes don't think, period. But if you know your parent's word is law, I think you act differently. Myrna either got pregnant on purpose, Liliana has a history of caving, or she called her Mom's bluff. Heck of a way to learn a lesson.

It’s all well and good to have consequences—and I am in no way condoning teen pregnancy— but said consequences should be legal in the state where one resides. For the sake of argument, you can’t say locking a teen in their room with no food for a week is a legal “consequence” in most states.

• Love 3
(edited)
On 1/26/2021 at 1:33 AM, StatisticalOutlier said:

15 hours ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

Liliana warned Myrka and Myrka didn’t listen. Myrka made her own bed (and it wasn’t going to be at her mother’s house) and now has to sleep in it. 

I appreciate the interpretations, and while I agree completely with the logic, I don’t think Liliana used the right terminology, is all I was saying.  What is true is that Liliana “kicked out” Myrka for breaking the rules (more about my interpretation of that below).  What is true is that Myrka knew the rules and chose to discard them, and for that there were consequences.  So I think it is fair to say that Myrka got herself kicked out.  But Liliana saying that Myrka kicked herself out just doesn’t make sense to me.  She was either kicked out, or she left of her own accord, whether she was pressured or not.  But I don’t know how someone kicks themself out of a dwelling.  It’s like saying a person fired themselves from their job—not that they quit or that they got fired.  It makes as little sense to me as saying “gender reveal” for “sex reveal” and “whenever” instead of “when”.  I understand the sentiment the person is trying to convey, but if they’re saying it wrong, I point it out, just because that’s how I snark.  I’m over it though.  For this week!  

On 1/26/2021 at 11:05 AM, Adiba said:

the care and support of the minor (Myrka) is still the responsibility of the parent (Myrka’s mother). 

I think we read the same laws and we agree on their interpretation.  Myrka’s mom is not legally allowed to kick her out, but Liliana is allowed to consent to allow Myrka to live elsewhere.  This is just my opinion based on the show—I’m not saying it’s fact—but I strongly believe that Liliana did not “kick out” Myrka in a legal sense, thus she did not do anything illegal.  It’s frustrating that they haven’t spent time to flesh this out more, but I think it’s unlikely (not impossible, as people do illegal things on TV all the time, like Robert Durst admitting to murder on the documentary about whether he murdered people 😦) that this is what went down, given the resources that the state affords minors who have been “kicked out.”

What I think happened was that Liliana figuratively kicked Myrka out, if you will.  It is like when a man cheats on his wife and she tells him, “don’t come home.”  He has the legal right to go home, but he doesn’t, because he feels that he is not welcome.  There’s not really a legal remedy for hurt feelings, so this isn’t negligence if my theory is right.  Unless Liliana was extremely verbally abusive under the roof of their home, I don’t think the social workers are running in to save Myrka from what was, in all likelihood, a frosty reception from her mom, which they are both calling “kicked out.”  

But I don’t think the girl was out on the street with nowhere to turn by a long shot—I think as soon as that pregnancy test lit up with two pink lines or whatever happens, Myrka said her mom would kill her, Ethan’s parents swooped in, Liliana agreed to the arrangement, and the story, which is likely much more complicated and interesting than they’re making it, got boiled down to “my mom kicked me out when she found out I was pregnant” and since everyone is agreeing, because no one is really thinking about it carefully, we’re only getting a half a story.  

While I’m speculating, I’ll repeat my speculation from earlier this season that Ethan could perhaps be not as interested in the fairer sex as other young men, so it would make sense that his parents saw this as an opportunity and jumped on it, and now that it’s turning out to be something other than sunshine and roses, they’re having buyer’s remorse and complaining that Liliana has to pull her proverbial weight, when all Liliana is legally required to do is meet her daughter’s basic needs, not her granddaughter’s basic needs.  And when they stepped up to take care of Myrka’s basic needs, Liliana was taken off the hook for that as well (according to the law that I read), so I am really not sure what Ethan’s family is complaining about.  Is it less than ideal that Liliana isn’t there to ooh and ahh?  I dunno.  It’s my opinion that it’s less than ideal to celebrate an unmarried 16 year old getting pregnant, especially when she has no money, and no discernible skills.  If they’re looking for people to blame, they should blame these foolish 16 year olds, which is the hard thing to do.  They might look to themselves and why they were so lax with the rules.  It’s hard to look at ourselves and our failures, especially when we’re acting in a gregarious manner.  It’s easy to blame the (grand)mother who is refusing to show what the others deem the appropriate emotion for their foolish choices.  I got nothing else.  This show is making me stupider.  

ETA: they’re not sure who the father is with Reanna and Taron, not Ethan and Myrka.  (What ever happened to that storyline anyway?)

Edited by LibertarianSlut
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, Adiba said:

It’s all well and good to have consequences—and I am in no way condoning teen pregnancy— but said consequences should be legal in the state where one resides.

True!! I don't even agree with Liliana's decision, but I suspect Myrna moving in with Baby Daddy's family softened the blow too much. Does Liliana have 2 children? Myrna and her younger brother? And there's been no mention of their father(s), is that right?

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Adiba said:

Right, but does his mother’s ultimatum only apply to daughters? Will she “kick him out” if she finds out he has impregnated someone?

I don't know.  She said she wasn't going to raise another baby, and the likelihood of her having to do that if her son impregnates someone is about zero (she's certainly not going to jump at the chance, like Ethan's parents did).  She also said she objected because if Myrka had a baby it would ruin Myrka's life.  It's a fact that it's much less likely to ruin the teen mother's life than the teen father's life.  So she might kick her son out, or she might not.  To me, what matters is that her son has seen with his own eyes that his mother followed through on a very big threat that had huge consequences on herself, so maybe he'll take her seriously.

And it might filter down to other choices he makes.  I know that if I saw my mother say no babies in my house, and my sister got pregnant and sure enough isn't living at home any more, I'd snap to attention.  Would Tyra have been a little more careful about getting pregnant if she hadn't seen her mother welcome younger sister Tiarra's baby into the fold?

8 hours ago, TeapotWakeen said:

Myrna [sic] either got pregnant on purpose, Liliana has a history of caving, or she called her Mom's bluff. Heck of a way to learn a lesson.

Liliana doesn't seem like the type to waffle or cave.  Maybe she hadn't even had an opportunity to waffle or cave because the kids hadn't pushed it, because they, like you with your parents, knew she wasn't kidding.  But in the case of getting pregnant, the problem is that most parents will cave because they're scared of what will happen to the baby.  And most people know that.  They also know that the parent will be vilified if they don't cave, and refuse to support the teen and the baby (see: Ethan's parents). 

So there's an enormous amount of pressure, and I know people see Liliana as cold, but I think it might just be how she's able to deal with the impossible situation Myrka put her in, forcing her to either follow through on her threat and be a terrible person forever, or give in and be a pushover forever.  Maybe that's just the cost of being a parent, but it is a very high one that I wouldn't wish on anyone, not to mention all the collateral damage suffered by everyone else involved, including the baby.

3 hours ago, LibertarianSlut said:

Is it less than ideal that Liliana isn’t there to ooh and ahh?  I dunno.  ...  It’s easy to blame the (grand)mother who is refusing to show what the others deem the appropriate emotion for their foolish choices.  I got nothing else. 

That's what makes me mad.  Ethan's parents seem to be playing the "Liliana will come around because it's a grandbaby" game.  Myrka definitely thinks that.  But she's young, and very sincerely wants her mother to come around.  Ethan's parents are old enough to be expected to show some respect for others' views about things that are personal to them, so they need to shut up, especially if it's harping about sharing responsibility that they themselves absolved her of. 

• Love 4

If Liliana wanted a baby to look after and support, she is young enough to have had her own. It seems like she had a rough go, was forced to provide for her two young children by herself and is almost at the point where she can start putting herself first again. There is nothing wrong with that. Even Ethan’s parents are starting to seem pissed off about the sacrifices they are being forced to make. 

Maybe she will “come around” eventually, and maybe she won’t. Myrka and Ethan were old enough to decide not to use birth control and now they can be old enough to figure out how to support and raise a child. 

Question: What happens when Ethan and Myrka split up? 

• Love 4

Yes, leaving your minor child homeless and pregnant is a good way to teach her a lesson.  She'll learn about homelessness, poverty, prostitution, rape, all sorts of good lessons her mother & the street will teach her.  And her mother can be proud because she did not change her mind because changing your mind and having compassion is the worst thing anyone can do. Her mother took on the responsibility of raising Myrka 16 yrs ago; she doesn't get to throw a tantrum  & opt out when it doesn't go the way she wants.

And excusing her by saying, "She didn't want Myrka to ruin her life so she kicked her out." Is absurd on its face.  I didn't want you to ruin your life so I nuked it before you could? Is that supposed to be the good mom thing? Or even the logic thing? My god, the stuff that happens to homeless kids.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
On 1/25/2021 at 4:59 PM, LibertarianSlut said:

My opinion is that Myrka got pregnant (more or less on purpose),

Possibly, but with Liliana working an atrocious number of hours, Myrka was stuck fully with the responsibilities for raising her brother because mom wasn’t around and dad was absent.  We have never seen Myrka’s dad - don’t forget that.

Making Myrka responsible for raising her brother is reason enough to feel her only way out was to get pregnant and raise her own child, rather than her mother’s child.  So Liliana is a hypocrite for delegating child raising to her daughter and then complaining when Myrka gets pregnant.

By the way, who is watching the brother now, with Myrka gone?

• Love 5

I guess for those of us who have raised children into adulthood we have all seen rules broken...I didn’t kick my son out when he let his friends use our pool and jacuzzi while we were away for a night, I didn’t kick the other one out when he and his friends made some sangria type drink with a very expensive bottle of wine that we had been gifted, I didn’t kick my daughter out when she. (Well, she was never one to really break a rule...). They broke my rules and we worked on the why, the how, and the what you were going to do because you didn’t think the rules applied to you.  Teens overstep the line all the time...ALL. THE. TIME.   You do not throw your child out when it happens

The son who let his friends swim..he grew up to be a bipolar adult who during a long bout of mania made a baby with a drug addicted sort of sex worker type....anyhooo...I am rising his child, his bipolar is uncontrolled, she cannot be trusted, the situation arose and we’ve had her just about four years now...she’s four and a half....I never thought I’d raise another child, but it happens sometimes...you pull up your big girl pants and do what needs to be done.....it may not be your plan, it may not be easy, but what about raising kids really is?

• Love 14

Used to like Tyra, but am totally over her. She has zero empathy towards Alex. He (and his gma) are with  Lila all the time while Tyra is gone for almost  a month. She is going to class, being with friends and living the like of a 20 yr old child free young woman. She cannot bitch about Lila being unsafe from that distance. They need to break up, start to share custody and Tyra needs to move closer to home. 

• Love 7

Exactly. Tyra has a lot of nerve complaining about Alex when she has CHOSEN to live 2-3 hours away from her. She put herself and her wants before her child. She could gone to school closer or online.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, zenme said:

Exactly. Tyra has a lot of nerve complaining about Alex when she has CHOSEN to live 2-3 hours away from her. She put herself and her wants before her child. She could gone to school closer or online.

Yep. 

And she has a lot of nerve trying to tell people what they can and cannot do in their own home that they pay for.  She sure isn't contributing anything to Alex's grandma's bills, but wants to tell her who she can and cannot  allow to move in?  No, ma'am.  I think this is really Alex's hesitation about the whole thing, not that he's trying to please everybody.  Alex probably knows damn well, either on his own or because grandma let him know, he and Tyra don't get to dictate what she can or cannot do in her own home.  And then to have Tyra sitting there trying to question his manhood and how he needs to step up.  STFU Tyra.   

Not to say that the mom's boyfriend wasn't sketchy and him moving in totally not a good idea, but she totally isn't the one to be making any demands about who gets to stay in grandma's house.  Only grandma gets to.  She should have just done what she did in the first place and take Layla out of the home if she didn't think it was safe.  But then she might have had to come home and see about her daughter herself.  I would have loved to have seen what she would have done if her mom and sister taking Layla wasn't an option for her.  

Tyra can't run other people's households from an hour away.  If she wants something done a certain way for Layla or if she really felt Layla was in danger, she'd come handle it herself.  

• Love 7

Sooo annoyed w Tyra. Alex and his grandmother allow her the PRIVILEGE of continuing her education while they take care of the baby day in and day out... show some gratitude. Lilly is beyond me w her decision making (or lack there of). ReAnnn or whatever tf her name is is the perfect example of what happens w a child who is spoiled, caudled, entitled, and has no expectations to meet. Her five-head, alien ass lookin face needs to get a reality check! She is BEYOND immature and incapable of raising a child... she's a whiny teenage brat. 

• Love 4

By the way, who is watching the brother now, with Myrka gone?

I don't know how old the brother is now, but I'm guessing if he's at least 9, Mryka probably did the heavy lifting of watching him when he was little and the mom is going to let him be an unsupervised latchkey kid now.  I taught in the NYC public school system, and would sometimes have parents tell me they didn't have time to deal with their kid's problems.  It would be interesting to know if he's taking over chores of running the house, or if he just hangs out with his friends all the time (this would be a whole lot more interesting to watch than listening to people whine about baby daddies or try to tell the people who they dumped their kid on how they would like their child raised while they pursue their dreams of being a cheerleader and hanging out in Miami).

• Love 1
8 hours ago, kitkat343 said:

I don't know how old the brother is now, but I'm guessing if he's at least 9, Mryka probably did the heavy lifting of watching him when he was little and the mom is going to let him be an unsupervised latchkey kid now.  I taught in the NYC public school system, and would sometimes have parents tell me they didn't have time to deal with their kid's problems.  It would be interesting to know if he's taking over chores of running the house, or if he just hangs out with his friends all the time (this would be a whole lot more interesting to watch than listening to people whine about baby daddies or try to tell the people who they dumped their kid on how they would like their child raised while they pursue their dreams of being a cheerleader and hanging out in Miami).

I think they said he's 12. Plenty old enough to latchkey.

On 1/28/2021 at 6:41 PM, b2H said:

Making Myrka responsible for raising her brother is reason enough to feel her only way out was to get pregnant and raise her own child, rather than her mother’s child.

She could have gotten out without being pregnant.  And it would be a hell of a lot easier to do than if she was pregnant.  Get a job after school, couch-surf at understanding friends' houses while she gets enough money for an apartment.  Not easy, of course, but try doing that with a baby in tow.

Plus, as far as I can tell, she was intending to live with her mother, and moved in with Ethan's parents only when that seemed impossible.  I really don't think Liliana would have said, "Oh, you're busy raising your own baby, so you don't have to watch your brother any more." 

On 1/28/2021 at 4:45 PM, TakeAPinotGrigio said:

Yes, leaving your minor child homeless and pregnant is a good way to teach her a lesson. 

Myrka had a guaranteed way not to be homeless:  not have a baby.  She could have made sure of that by not having sex.  Or she could have used birth control if she was insistent on having sex.  And if she was insistent on having sex without using birth control, she could have chosen to have an abortion.  Or she probably could have given up the baby for adoption, although that wasn't addressed on the show.  And actually, I'm not sure that would have been a good option because I could see Myrka staying at home saying she's going to give the baby up for adoption, and then deciding after it's born she just couldn't do it, in which case Myrka ends up a teen mom with Liliana supporting her and the baby. 

And we'll never know what Liliana would have done if Ethan's parents hadn't butted in and made it so that Myrka didn't even have to consider, never mind suffer, any of the consequences from her string of choices.  For all we know, Liliana knew deep down in her heart that she couldn't actually kick Myrka out, and hoped her threat would be enough to keep Myrka from ruining her life with a baby. 

• Love 2
On 1/28/2021 at 7:13 PM, Medsed said:

I guess for those of us who have raised children into adulthood we have all seen rules broken...I didn’t kick my son out when he let his friends use our pool and jacuzzi while we were away for a night, I didn’t kick the other one out when he and his friends made some sangria type drink with a very expensive bottle of wine that we had been gifted, I didn’t kick my daughter out when she. (Well, she was never one to really break a rule...). They broke my rules and we worked on the why, the how, and the what you were going to do because you didn’t think the rules applied to you.  Teens overstep the line all the time...ALL. THE. TIME.   You do not throw your child out when it happens

The son who let his friends swim..he grew up to be a bipolar adult who during a long bout of mania made a baby with a drug addicted sort of sex worker type....anyhooo...I am rising his child, his bipolar is uncontrolled, she cannot be trusted, the situation arose and we’ve had her just about four years now...she’s four and a half....I never thought I’d raise another child, but it happens sometimes...you pull up your big girl pants and do what needs to be done.....it may not be your plan, it may not be easy, but what about raising kids really 

True. But even if Liliana had given Myrka the option to remain at home, if I were Myrka I wouldn't have wanted to. I think that was more the point than anything. Myrka was given another option, so we didn't ever find out whether or not her mom would have literally driven her to a homeless shelter (which I'm sure would be illegal). There are just some people whose boundaries you don't mess around with, and Myrka knew her mom was that person. She was figuratively kicked out either way. Remaining with her mom would have been incredibly uncomfortable once she broke her biggest rule. But I don't think Liliana would have truly put her on the streets. 

I've asked this before, but while people are (IMO, justifiably) pointing out that Liliana shouldn't throw out her pregnant daughter, why is there no ire for Myrka's father?  Whatever Liliana did after Myrka got pregnant, she did feed, house, and clothe Myrka, which is more than it seems her father did.  

Edited by readheaded
  • Love 4