Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10: Showdown

• Start Topic

I absolutely LOVED this show. The season was much better than I expected. Hearing “I’m Jessie Fucking Spano!” was so worth a few clunky scenes here and there.

The “What’s coronavirus?” ending was an unexpected gut punch.

• Love 9

I liked Zack's solution. His solution was essentially doing nothing. Nothing changes with the schools until a study is done and that's going to take a few years at least. Kicking the can way down the road seems like a very Zack Morris solution.

Jessie's caffeine sensitivity being part of the plot was hilarious. Turns out if she wanted to get out of her terrible marriage all she had to do was get a little jacked up on caffeine. I didn't catch a Showgirls joke anywhere but it would not surprise me if there was one. I only saw that movie once and it was a long time ago.

Lisa ended up with a cameo and apparently Screech is on the International Space Station. Of all the characters it would have been interesting to see 30 years later, Screech would be the one who seems like would have changed the most. Having said that, a review of Dustin Diamond's wiki page shows that his life since the original series has been... colorful. But who knows, maybe we will see him if there is a Season 2?

• Love 7
1 hour ago, dwmarch said:

who knows, maybe we will see him if there is a Season 2?

It may not actually be a zero percent chance of that, but it's damn close. He burned bridges so totally even the ashes aren't left. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
22 hours ago, dwmarch said:

I liked Zack's solution. His solution was essentially doing nothing. Nothing changes with the schools until a study is done and that's going to take a few years at least. Kicking the can way down the road seems like a very Zack Morris solution.

Jessie's caffeine sensitivity being part of the plot was hilarious. Turns out if she wanted to get out of her terrible marriage all she had to do was get a little jacked up on caffeine. I didn't catch a Showgirls joke anywhere but it would not surprise me if there was one. I only saw that movie once and it was a long time ago.

Lisa ended up with a cameo and apparently Screech is on the International Space Station. Of all the characters it would have been interesting to see 30 years later, Screech would be the one who seems like would have changed the most. Having said that, a review of Dustin Diamond's wiki page shows that his life since the original series has been... colorful. But who knows, maybe we will see him if there is a Season 2?

If anything Screech likely wouldve become the Principal of Bayside. He went to highschool there then came back and spent 7 years working there. 

21 hours ago, Kromm said:

It may not actually be a zero percent chance of that, but it's damn close. He burned bridges so totally even the ashes aren't left. 

Lark and Elizabeth along with the showrunners didnt shut down the possibility so Id say there's a 40% chance.

What really was sad that we didnt get to see Belding anywhere or any mention of him I think. They need to show him some love next season. Make him the Superintendent. 

• Love 7
56 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

What really was sad that we didnt get to see Belding anywhere or any mention of him I think. They need to show him some love next season. Make him the Superintendent. 

I was surprised there was no mention of him. 

• Love 6

There were some references to Belding - Zack asked Toddman if he was Belding when the gang didn’t remember him, and there was a reference to his catchphrase “hey, hey, hey, what is going on here?” being the principals’ handshake. I was surprised no one mentioned what’s going on with Belding now though, and it looks like Dennis Haskins’s social media hasn’t been updated in a year. He’s always been active in SBTB things, so hopefully he’s ok and will have at least a cameo if there’s a second season.

Edited by Victura
  • Love 9
9 hours ago, Victura said:

There were some references to Belding - Zack asked Toddman if he was Belding when the gang didn’t remember him, and there was a reference to his catchphrase “hey, hey, hey, what is going on here?” being the principals’ handshake. I was surprised no one mentioned what’s going on with Belding now though, and it looks like Dennis Haskins’s social media hasn’t been updated in a year. He’s always been active in SBTB things, so hopefully he’s ok and will have at least a cameo if there’s a second season.

I laughed SO hard at, "Were you Belding??"

• Love 2
On 11/27/2020 at 9:23 PM, Aileen said:

I absolutely LOVED this show. The season was much better than I expected. Hearing “I’m Jessie Fucking Spano!” was so worth a few clunky scenes here and there.

The “What’s coronavirus?” ending was an unexpected gut punch.

The production of the show got shut down in March and was down until August.  So they had plenty of time to come up with that joke.

• Useful 1

Just finished binge-watching this over a couple days and it was...surprisingly really good! Loved all the characters and the callbacks to the old show. One thing I did appreciate was how the show addressed stuff that was "okay" in the old show, mostly because of the time, but is not okay now. Like Zack taking photos of the girls in their swimsuits and making the calendar without their permission. Back then it was played for laughs because hey, early '90s, but nowadays? Hell no.

All the young kids except for Mack were great. I think they need to put some effort into him other than "he's Zack Morris' kid and likes to prank people."

• Love 7

I just binged the whole season out of nostalgia, but I really wasn't a fan of any of the stuff with the original characters. I thought they all came off as pretty terrible. I know I was young when I watched the original series, but I don't remember them being so unlikeable.

I ended up liking most of new teenage cast, although definitely liked the Douglas students more than the original Bayside students. But everyone seemed improved by the end. There was definitely a lot of great jokes scattered throughout.

What was with Kelly's random comment about Jeff not being Mack's father? I think that was this episode. It seemed so random.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Keywestclubkid said:

Lol Tori getting a shout out and Kelly having no idea who Zack was talking about 

And Mack being all, "who's Jeff?"

I did appreciate all the small callbacks to the original show, not just the big things. And the stylistic callbacks too, like when they went to get the time capsule and they did the high-five and did the "freeze frame" for a second before breaking it up and being like, "wtf was that?"

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
On 11/28/2020 at 7:53 PM, dwmarch said:

It was kind of worse than a do nothing solution, since Zack said no closing and no opening of schools for the next three years. So kids who are going to schools that are over crowded live in areas with rapidly growing populations, and need new schools, are going to get fucked over by this order.

• Love 1

Just binge watched the show.

That was an interesting experience. I liked it mostly and will happily watch a second series but as a fan of the original series there were definitely some rough points and I'd have preferred a less cartoonish version of Zack and Kelly and I hope we get a less dim and shallow Mac (I think in retrospect I'd have gone in a different direction with Zack and Kelly's kid generally.)

• Love 3

Finished it last night. 

First off, he was a punk to his former cast mates for a long time, but I am wishing Dustin Diamond the best of luck with his cancer treatments. 

It was one of those shows that had to find its rhythm for the first few episodes, while still honouring its legacy, and after Cobra Kai, a lot of these “reimagining of a reboot of a relaunch” series have their work cut out. For the most part, I think it did a good job.  My sister and I burst out loud laughing the last 3 episodes. The one thing I was surprised by is how they dumbed down Zack, Kelly and to an extent Slater.  The only core 4 that was mostly the same was Jessie.

• Like 1

I absolutely loved this and wished it was more than 10 episodes.  The corny bits had me laughing and rewinding until my sides hurt.

"Were you Belding"?

"Remember Tori Scott" "Who?"

"He confessed he was having an emotional affair with one of the characters from his novel.  I think she's now pregnant" 

The grandmother yelling at the TV that the man was lying to Judge Judy.

The "Barbara Ann" performance/Slater doing the same exact moves to the dance a thon. 

I teared up every time they played a piece of the original music. 

This was so much fun.  

Edited by JayD83
  • Love 2