Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: The Case of Henry Scarlet

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, Scarlett45 said:

The Duke’s partner- he was wrapped up in it with Sterling in the forgery business. 

But when did he enter the Scarlet home?  Frank was drinking with Duke, wasn’t he?  What was he doing in the house?  How long was the would-be-fiancée watching the house?  The timing seems off.  I know I’m missing something, but what?  The whos are clear; the whens aren’t.  Enlighten me, please!!!!!

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, nora1992 said:

But when did he enter the Scarlet home?  Frank was drinking with Duke, wasn’t he?  What was he doing in the house?  How long was the would-be-fiancée watching the house?  The timing seems off.  I know I’m missing something, but what?  The whos are clear; the whens aren’t.  Enlighten me, please!!!!!

This was before Frank was drinking with the Duke, when the guards were dismissed from Eliza’s house. He was likely looking for something that Henry Scarlet had in the home that would implicate him. 

• Love 4
20 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

This was before Frank was drinking with the Duke, when the guards were dismissed from Eliza’s house. He was likely looking for something that Henry Scarlet had in the home that would implicate him. 

But wasn’t Ivy back by then?  Wouldn’t she have noticed Frank going through the house?  But I’ll stop overthinking and wait for season 2.

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, nora1992 said:

But wasn’t Ivy back by then?  Wouldn’t she have noticed Frank going through the house?  But I’ll stop overthinking and wait for season 2.

No Ivy had gone to Rupert’s and was still there if I recall. You could be 100% right that it was a plot hole. 

• Love 2

I only discovered this show a couple of weeks ago and I love it!

Sadly I haven't been able to watch the first two episodes as they are not free. 

I thought these last two episodes were very well done in terms of plot, mystery, and character. 

Tonight when Eliza and William were trying to find links between Moses and the gang I tried to think back to who mentioned Moses in the first place but I couldn't remember exactly how he had been brought up. And then when Moses said the inspector had planted the forgeries I knew it couldn't be William so I thought it had to be another cop. But I never quite pieced it together until the very end. 

I hope season 2 can be produced soon, I'll be here waiting for it!

• Love 3

Loved the episode.  I really hope there'll be a second season.  I haven't been able to find any official announcement on the internet.

Eliza's red dress at the end was fabulous.  She and William walking off arm in arm was sweet - "I like this game, William."  😄

Speaking of William, he sure is a good shouter.  When he was yelling at the street cop for drinking a cuppa on the job, yikes.  On the other end of the emotional spectrum...the look he gave Eliza in the kitchen was totally swoon-worthy.

I'm glad Moses wasn't involved with the gang that killed Henry but I'm kind of sorry that Frank was.  No buddy cop for William now and I kind of liked the rivalry between him and Eliza.

So was Sterling actually involved in the counterfeit ring too or was that another smokescreen by Frank?

And what happened with Hildegarde after she showed up to accuse Eliza of stealing Rupert???  

• Love 10
8 hours ago, rove4 said:

Speaking of William, he sure is a good shouter.  When he was yelling at the street cop for drinking a cuppa on the job, yikes.  On the other end of the emotional spectrum...the look he gave Eliza in the kitchen was totally swoon-worthy.

Talk about "A look being worth a thousand words"... 

Forget swoon-worthy, that look was downright SEXXXY!!!!😍

• Love 5

Enjoyable episode, but there were definitely unanswered questions.

1. I am sad it was Frank. Now who will call William Duke? I think that Stirling was entirely an innocent manipulated by someone else. Perhaps Frank? perhaps this goes higher in the police. I can see a more senior person whitewashing this and letting Frank take the fall though.

2. Is Frank’s wife also at the bottom of the Thames?

3. I expected a kiss, but that means a lot more in those times than today. Maybe next season? However, I am not sorry it didn’t happen because William has to learn to accept Eliza as she is and he made it clear that she would be cooking for him if they were married. If it does happen, I suspect Eliza will make the first move.

4. Eliza not knowing any basics of cooking is both hilarious and sad. Maybe she will have to go undercover as a servant sometime and Ivy will teach her some domestic skills.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, katalizt said:

I only discovered this show a couple of weeks ago and I love it!

Sadly I haven't been able to watch the first two episodes as they are not free.

If you're thinking about subscribing to PBS to get access to their streaming, the minimum is a $60 annual donation, and remember that your donation is tax deductible.   Also, my local library has the dvd's, so you can see if that's an option. 

Someone mentioned earlier Eliza's red dress in the final scene...  Yes!  Gorgeous!  But I also loved the red hat! 

And, by the way, who was doing Eliza's hair for the day or two she was without Ivy? 

• Love 2

I agree with others who say that this was an enjoyable episode, but there are definitely some unanswered questions.

The case - So, was Stirling involved or not? It is hard for me to believe that Stirling would show up on his own without backup to an abandoned tannery unless he had something to do with the crime. Or was he murdered and his body dumped there? In either case, I would think that Stirling, being as high up in Scotland Yard as he is, would have a personal police detail (or at a minimum a police assigned carriage driver like Duke has) that would know his whereabouts 24/7. Is there some bigger police conspiracy going on that is even higher up than Stirling? What happened to the gold? Maybe this is going to be left for next season? Or, maybe the only thing that matters is that we know Frank killed Henry and the details of the case don’t matter?

Eliza/Duke/Moses - I like the dynamic that has been set up between the 3 of them for now. I did find Eliza trying to “force” Duke to apologize to Moses to be a tad, I don’t know what the word to use is, but maybe a “girly” (and I’m a woman) thing to do. It was almost like she wanted them to “hug it out” or something. These are two alpha men in Victorian times — did she really expect some heartfelt reconciliation? Honestly, I don’t think Moses (who was the wronged party) would want that to happen, either. Even Eliza’s relationship with Moses has been based on “my appreciation to you is that I am going to let you live” not hugs and heartfelt words. Long story short, I loved the scene between the two men at the end — both stuck to who they were (Duke, the straight-arrow cop who is super protective of Eliza, and Moses, the misunderstood criminal who is going to continue to work for Eliza and use legally questionable means whenever necessary because he sees cops as corrupt and it is how he survives in this world).

Rupert/Tilly - I am totally intrigued as to where things are going between the two. Is Rupert going to wind up with a wife that is just like his dear old mother?

Eliza/William — I really loved their dynamic this episode. The little moment on the couch where she took his broken hand, the cooking scene (HOT - felt the heat through the TV), their walk into the sunset to their dinner date at the end. Obviously, William is head over heels for her. And, while not as obvious, Eliza is in love with him, but it is much more complex for her because she cannot be with him and have her career at this point (and while she tries to play things cool, her hope that William had come to her house after their fight and her *in mind* comments that Henry made to her about composing herself before *he* arrives really are revealing about her true feelings about William). I think the show (and actors) have done a phenomenal job with the slow burn between Eliza and William. I do hope, though, that we get a make out session between the two in Season 2. 

On that note, there better be a Season 2! I am obessed with this show, and I so want this story to continue!

Edited by Nolefan
  • Love 6

There has been no official renewal that I can find - official being an announcement from the British broadcaster that aired the first season. Hopeful quotes from the creative team are not a renewal.

I am hoping we will see more, it really grew on me after my first impression of it as anachronistic fluff. 

• Love 2

In an interview from last year, Stuart said "We are due to do a second series of Miss Scarlet and The Duke in September in Dublin and I thought that’d be fine but now you think, ‘what are we doing to do?’". So I think if the lead actor had it on his schedule, then it's a pretty good bet that there was going to be a second season. I just hope it's still in the pipe line! I need to see what happens with Eliza and William! I like most of what the writer had to say about their slow burn:

I was a mad, mad fan of "Moonlighting," and then when Cybill Shepherd and Bruce Willis kissed, that was kind of the death knell really for that show. Not that I'm not saying they won't ever kiss, Duke and Eliza, but there's something really lovely about their friendship. It's not just about the kissing and the big kind of romance, it's about them as friends as well. I want to explore that more.

The "will they, won't they" is the thing that people are going to in for, and I'll tease that out. But the reason why I didn't do it was yes, it is too early. I think as soon as that happens, it will change things for Eliza. I don't ever want her to be defined by what man she chooses because she's just too much of her own person for that. And, you know, to be honest, there's no doubt in my mind, she would make him extremely miserable. I think Duke would really like to come home and have dinner on the table and a whole brood of children, and she can't even cook an egg. But never say never.

https://www.salon.com/2021/02/21/miss-scarlet-and-the-duke-ending-season-2-pbs-rachael-new/

Personally I don't think she would make him miserable. I think as we saw at the end of this episode, they can learn to accept each other and not get on each other's nerves so much!

Edited by pezgirl7
  • Love 6

The “was Stirling involved?” question was answered via dialogue after the action ended. I believe it was in Duke’s office, but it might have been elsewhere. He just explained that Stirling had been lured there by Frank, and executed so that Stirling would be implicated in the crime. I think the scene after Duke inadvertently found the gas mask while looking for a blanket for Frank made it abundantly clear that it was Frank’s scheme from the start and by then, he had mercilessly eliminated everyone else recruited to pull it off. 
It will be interesting to see how the vacancies are filled at the Met next season. Will Duke continue to be passed over because of class issues or concerns about his relationship with his guilty partner? It was pretty clear all season that Stirling was going to dangle that carrot in front of Duke until he broke his ambition (how dare he have goals?). He obviously had no intention of ever delivering. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 4

Congrats to everyone who guessed that Frank was involved! I didn't think he was, simply because he was wearing brown shoes, and the shooter was wearing black ones. I guess he went home and changed! I felt bad for William. He was betrayed by his partner and one of his only friends. I was kinda hoping for a little bit of dialogue near the end, with Eliza asking William how he was holding up.

I don't really understand why Frank pretended to be drunk, and then let William rifle through his stuff. Was he planning on killing him all along? It would have made more sense for him to have left town right away. He wouldn't have been able to continue his job while spending all the money, it would have been too suspicious.

I'm also interested to see what happens next season at the Met. I hope his new parter is likable, and I hope his new boss doesn't hold the same prejudices. But I'm sure there will be some kind of office drama to make things interesting!

I loved all the swoony moments between Eliza and William! Who knew that boiling an egg could be so hot?! Regarding William's comment about how he wouldn't be boiling his own egg if they were married, I'm just going to pretend he meant that if they were married, Eliza would insist that they have a cook! I also loved Eliza's red dress at the end and that they were finally going out on a date! I didn't like William continuing to throw Eliza in jail for her own protection though. If I were her, I would be super annoyed at him.

And finally, there's something about the way William lounges on couches. He's pretty tall, so he just kinda takes up half the couch and sprawls out. It's kinda sexy. 😏

Edited by pezgirl7
  • Love 10

I didn't suspect Frank until right at the end--and it hit me the guy I thought was going to be an established character--side kick to the Duke/something of a rival for Eliza--could be something different. 

I like how they kept the Duke and Moses from becoming buddies. 

I enjoyed this series and look forward to another season. I stumbled into it and am glad I did.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, pezgirl7 said:

In an interview from last year, Stuart said "We are due to do a second series of Miss Scarlet and The Duke in September in Dublin and I thought that’d be fine but now you think, ‘what are we doing to do?’". So I think if the lead actor had it on his schedule, then it's a pretty good bet that there was going to be a second season. I just hope it's still in the pipe line! I need to see what happens with Eliza and William! I like most of what the writer had to say about their slow burn:

Personally I don't think she would make him miserable. I think as we saw at the end of this episode, they can learn to accept each other and not get on each other's nerves so much!

I am enjoying the slow burn, for now.  I also appreciate Eliza and William’s friendship and am totally on board with continuing to explore their friendship. Heck, I am a firm believer that a great friendship is one of the essential grounds upon which any lasting romantic relationship should be built — and in addition Eliza and William also have the added bonus of a strong physical attraction to each other. Like you, I don’t think she would make him miserable — and actually, the contrary has been shown. He wasn’t completely horrified when he found out she couldn’t cook, he just ribbed her a bit and then got into the kitchen with her and cooked. And It was obvious he was thoroughly enjoying himself. I saw the comment about “if we were married, I wouldn’t be cooking” as more of flirting and teasing (and maybe even a little bit of a dare to her — and she certainly loves a dare!). Also, I don’t see where he seems like the type at all that wants a brood of children, and if anything, he seems like the type that would not want any children — he would not want to bring children into the “horrible” world that he sees everyday with his police work. Honestly, now that Henry is gone, Eliza seems to me to be the one person that is bringing him joy in his life, and, although he has done some kicking and screaming along the way, he has shown that he is willing and able to improve himself in a way that is pleasing to Eliza. All that said, I am a hopeless romantic, and I want to believe that Eliza will be able to have both a fulfilling career and the (hot) man she loves (who loves her for who she is).

Edited by Nolefan
  • Love 7
30 minutes ago, pezgirl7 said:

Congrats to everyone who guessed that Frank was involved! I didn't think he was, simply because he was wearing brown shoes, and the shooter was wearing black ones. I guess he went home and changed! I felt bad for William. He was betrayed by his partner and one of his only friends. I was kinda hoping for a little bit of dialogue near the end, with Eliza asking William how he was holding up.

And finally, there's something about the way William lounges on couches. He's pretty tall, so he just kinda takes up half the couch and sprawls out. It's kinda sexy. 😏

Poor William—first Henry, now Frank. His friend circle is shrinking even as Eliza’s is widening. I hope they bring another friend for him next season. 

Regarding the lounging on the couch, I found myself wondering why he didn’t sleep in Henry’s room. It would have been more comfortable and more practical. 

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, nara said:

Regarding the lounging on the couch, I found myself wondering why he didn’t sleep in Henry’s room. It would have been more comfortable and more practical. 

It seems he was more *on guard* than  just sleeping over for the night. Hence, he was sleeping on the main floor, fully dressed, with his gun drawn. Although, I was thinking that William really needs to take a refresher course on gun safety. Last episode, he lost his gun during the scuffle with the fake doctor, accidentally dropped it over the railing, and didn’t realize the gun was out of ammo when he tried to fire at the circus freak. This episode he is sleeping while holding his gun? Sheesh, William.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, Nolefan said:

Also, I don’t see where he seems like the type at all that wants a brood of children, and if anything, he seems like the type that would not want any children — he would not want to bring children into the “horrible” world that he sees everyday with his police work.

It's hard for me to see him one way or the other, because we haven't seen him interact with children yet. Maybe next season he'll be on a case in which he has to interact with a child, and it'll be super adorable and will hit me, and maybe Eliza, right in the feels!

3 minutes ago, nara said:

I thought it was because it would have either been improper for him to be sleeping on the same floor as Eliza, or because he wanted to be near the door incase of an intruder.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, nara said:

2. Is Frank’s wife also at the bottom of the Thames?

I tend to think she really did leave him. It wouldn't be the first instance of someone working hard (or even doing underhanded things) for the "sake of their family" only to have that family get fed up because what that person is doing isn't what they want or are asking for.  

3. I expected a kiss, but that means a lot more in those times than today. Maybe next season? However, I am not sorry it didn’t happen because William has to learn to accept Eliza as she is and he made it clear that she would be cooking for him if they were married. If it does happen, I suspect Eliza will make the first move.

I don't know if Eliza will make the first move but it has been pretty obvious for a couple of episodes now that William clearly has intense feelings and/or an attraction towards her but he also has an idea, in his mind, of what marriage looks like.  I rolled my eyes when he said he wouldn't be doing the cooking if he were married and then clearly looked like he were about to kiss her.  

Nope, my dear Duke.  

He wants Eliza and he wants traditional.  I'm less concerned about Eliza making him miserable than I am about him making her miserable.  They have disagreements but she largely takes him as he is.  He would be enough for her. She doesn't expect him to perform to any sort of expectation.  

I can't say the same when it comes to the Duke.  As such, I think he might try to change her to be the wife he wants her to be.  They won't work until he accepts that she won't be traditional and they come to terms as what that will look like.  That doesn't mean he can have no expectations about the role she'd play in the marriage but he doesn't get to use traditional gender roles as their template. 

4 hours ago, chaifan said:

If you're thinking about subscribing to PBS to get access to their streaming, the minimum is a $60 annual donation, and remember that your donation is tax deductible.  

You can also do a free trial of PBS Masterpiece (I do mine through Amazon Prime) for 7 days.  Miss Scarlet and the Duke is uploaded there a few days after it airs.  (It's an amazing service if you like foreign language mystery shows as well). 

• Love 1

Show runners do like to play coy and tease the audience, but isn’t the point here a quintessentially Victorian man comes to see the woman he loves as an equal? Why take options off her table? Or, his? Ivy can be the cook and help with the kids, Eliza can improve her cookery and give and take, and there is no need for a literal brood. FWIW, I think “The Duke” would be a doting father to a child or two and fiercely protective of them. The actor literally smolders. Eliza would be “butt hurt” to quote another user if William moved on and it would not be fair to the woman he did it with either. 

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, ComeWhatMay said:

Show runners do like to play coy and tease the audience, but isn’t the point here a quintessentially Victorian man comes to see the woman he loves as an equal? Why take options off her table? Or, his? Ivy can be the cook and help with the kids, Eliza can improve her cookery and give and take, and there is no need for a literal brood. FWIW, I think “The Duke” would be a doting father to a child or two and fiercely protective of them. The actor literally smolders. Eliza would be “butt hurt” to quote another user if William moved on and it would not be fair to the woman he did it with either. 

I saw an exchange on Twitter recently were two people were talking about an article (not this one but the London Express??), in which it was reported that the show runner stated that Eliza and William will never get together. In the Twitter exchange the people were complaining that they didn’t understand why shows create these couples that they want you to root for, but then the show runners make statements that the couples will never get together. Ms. New’s official twitter account chimed in and stated something like “don’t believe everything you read in the papers.” Just throwing this out there for what it is worth.

Kudos to everyone who called Frank as being the mole in the police office. I suspected him a bit last week, but I thought that the mole might be someone more high up in Scotland Yard like Stirling. Poor William, his partner and friend not only killed his father figure, but also tries to murder him when he figured it out. So I wonder how his dynamics will change at the office now that his partner is arrested and his boss is dead? It seems pretty clear that Stirling was only holding a promotion over Williams head and was never going to actually promote him, maybe his new boss might actually be more open to him actually advancing? I wonder if the next season will have a big mystery or will be mostly one off episodes? 

Yes Eliza, please buy a gun or two if your going to keep running into these dangerous situations all of the time. If your going to run in, at least run in guns a blazing. Eliza is very clever but also a bit underprepared and naïve as of now, which she will hopefully get better about in the future. I do like that she has real flaws and isn't awesome at everything and right all of the time, it gives her room to grow and makes her more relatable and interesting. William is also a really good guy, but he also has flaws and issues, the two of them really do compliment each other, and as much as they make each other nuts, it seems like they would be really happy together. As long as Eliza learns how to boil an egg, of course. 

That red dress Eliza had was stunning, and the last shot of the episode was so lovely. The chemistry between William and Eliza continue to be the highlight of the show, and while I don't think they will actually get together for awhile, as they are clearly playing the Bones/Castle "Will They or Wont They?" game, I am totally sure they will end up together. Look how pretty they look together! "We should go now before we have an argument over some petty thing then have to reschedule." 

Glad to hear that it sounds like we will have another season to look forward to, even if it will take awhile. I really like this show and am excited to see more. 

• Love 5
6 hours ago, chaifan said:

And, by the way, who was doing Eliza's hair for the day or two she was without Ivy? 

I asked myself the same question in the prior episode when she spent the night at her client’s house overnight. Her hair was down in a side ponytail when she went to bed, but she was sporting a fancy bun with braids through it the next morning.

Edited by Nolefan
  • Love 1

I listened to this podcast with the writer, and she said she was putting the finishing touches on season 2 which will be 6 episodes. Honestly I was hoping for more. The only thing she could really tease is that we'll learn more about William. She also mentioned that the actress who plays Eliza spends 2 hours in hair and makeup, so she definitely wouldn't be able to do her hair herself! Braiding your hair and putting it in a bun isn't that hard, but she also has all those perfect curls.

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, Driad said:

Could the bun with the perfect curls be a piece that Eliza can pin on and take off?

Possibly. The actress has short hair, so most of Eliza's hair is extensions or hair pieces. But to be honest, I can't really see Eliza using a hair piece! And even if she did, I would think it would take some time, and maybe some help, to get it to look right.

Edited by pezgirl7
  • Love 1
38 minutes ago, pezgirl7 said:

Possibly. The actress has short hair, so most of Eliza's hair is extensions or hair pieces. But to be honest, I can't really see Eliza using a hair piece! And even if she did, I would think it would take some time, and maybe some help, to get it to look right.

I am pretty confident the actress is wearing a fake bun, but Eliza the character has long hair, which she puts up in a bun. Even the bedtime ponytail was long. Why put a fake ponytail on for bed when you are sleeping alone?

17 minutes ago, Nolefan said:

I am pretty confident the actress is wearing a fake bun, but Eliza the character has long hair, which she puts up in a bun. Even the bedtime ponytail was long. Why put a fake ponytail on for bed when you are sleeping alone?

I don't think Eliza's ponytail is fake (it's fake in real life for the actress, but not for the character), but she could still use a hair piece to make her hair look fuller. I think that was pretty common. But like I said, I just don't see Eliza as the type of woman who would bother with a hair piece. 

• Love 2

I was shocked to learn it was the season finale. I was expecting one more episode bc it started a week after All Creatures Great and Small, but then it dawned on me that the season finale for ACGS was technically the extra christmas episode they sometimes do for certain series. Threw me off.

6/7 weeks flew by like nothing.

Tilly's a fierce one. Yikes. Kinda hope rupert doesn't get stuck with her.

Lots of great scenes between william and eliza and moses. And as always i love the scenes ghost Henry.

That whole scene with tilly talking about another dude creeping up the stairs made it feel like we were missing a scene or something. It was a bit unclear. I feel like they could have executed that bit better.

Happy to see the duke's boss dead and gone tho. Incompetent fool. 

• Love 1
12 hours ago, HoodlumSheep said:

That whole scene with tilly talking about another dude creeping up the stairs made it feel like we were missing a scene or something. It was a bit unclear. I feel like they could have executed that bit better.

I definitely think there is a huge plot hole in this episode. How did Tilly even know that Frank was a police detective??  It was shown that Tilly met Duke in the prior episode, but how would she know Frank, who wears street clothes, is a police officer? And it was never explained why Frank felt there was a compelling reason to risk detection to break into Eliza’s house — what information did he fear that she had on him that rose to the level of snooping around her house?

Another thing that really bothers me is that I cannot buy that Frank is smart enough to pull all this off. And his *impression* of Duke really wasn’t that great, so it is hard for me to believe that he would be able to pull off an impression of Stirling. And, Frank dresses like a vagrant, he would at least need to dress like Duke to look “posh,” as Nathaniel’s brother described him.

And who hired Henry to investigate this?? And how did Henry know Nathaniel Caine?? Just so many things wrong with this. Ugh.

12 hours ago, HoodlumSheep said:

Happy to see the duke's boss dead and gone tho. Incompetent fool. 

And after the last exchange between Duke and Stirling, Duke probably would have been sent packing when the case was resolved. So, things worked out for the best for Duke in this regard — LOL. RIP Superintendent Stirling.

19 hours ago, ComeWhatMay said:

Eliza would be “butt hurt” to quote another user if William moved on and it would not be fair to the woman he did it with either. 

Totally agree. While I think Eliza might *try* to do the honorable thing and support Duke’s marriage, honesty I don’t think she could do so after seeing her in action throughout the season. I don’t think she would have any respect for a *traditional* woman and would make her feelings known to William’s traditional wife like she did to the woman in the death photography episode. And,  I really don’t think she would be able to keep her mouth shut to William either — probably going on and on about him taking the “lazy” and “point of least resistance” path of marrying a *traditional* woman. And Eliza’s expectations that William should drop everything when she needs his help would place a huge strain on the marriage (look what this did to William’s career as a police officer). Then, add to the mix how Eliza’s butt hurt feelings of seeing William married to another woman would do to her relationship with William.  I think for this scenario to work, William would be forced to cut Eliza out of his life. Really, the only HEA I can see for this show is for Eliza and William getting together in the end.

Edited by Nolefan
On 2/22/2021 at 7:15 AM, nara said:

Enjoyable episode, but there were definitely unanswered questions.

1. I am sad it was Frank. Now who will call William Duke? I think that Stirling was entirely an innocent manipulated by someone else. Perhaps Frank? perhaps this goes higher in the police. I can see a more senior person whitewashing this and letting Frank take the fall though.

I'm sad it was Frank, too.  William doesn't really have any other friends that we know of so it was nice that he had a pal on the force. Maybe PC Honeychurch?  lol

On 2/22/2021 at 12:25 PM, pezgirl7 said:

Yes, indeed!  I was relieved that Eliza told William about meeting Moses the night before. I didn't want her to keep that from him. 

On 2/22/2021 at 10:56 AM, pezgirl7 said:

I don't agree that Eliza would make him miserable.  I think William thinks he wants a traditionally demure, obedient wife...and if he dated one he'd probably like it initially, but I think he'd start to find her boring and annoying before too long. 

21 hours ago, pezgirl7 said:

I listened to this podcast with the writer, and she said she was putting the finishing touches on season 2 which will be 6 episodes. Honestly I was hoping for more. The only thing she could really tease is that we'll learn more about William. She also mentioned that the actress who plays Eliza spends 2 hours in hair and makeup, so she definitely wouldn't be able to do her hair herself! Braiding your hair and putting it in a bun isn't that hard, but she also has all those perfect curls.

Darn, I was hoping for more episodes too.  Though, honestly, I'm still holding out for an official BBC announcement.  I'd love to know about William's history: when did he come over from Scotland?, does he have any living family?, how and when did he meet Henry?,  and of course, flashbacks to young William and Eliza - The Kiss! 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, rove4 said:

Darn, I was hoping for more episodes too.  Though, honestly, I'm still holding out for an official BBC announcement.  I'd love to know about William's history: when did he come over from Scotland?, does he have any living family?, how and when did he meet Henry?,  and of course, flashbacks to young William and Eliza - The Kiss! 

Yes, 6 episodes is not enough. Can’t wait for the official announcement. I am all for finding out more about William’s background (Stuart Martin mentioned something about young William spending time in a Victorian workhouse — yikes!). My only disagreement with you is the flashback kiss. Any kissing between Eliza and William better be between the adult actors, not the teenage version of them, or I am going to be really mad — LOL

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
7 minutes ago, Nolefan said:

Yes, 6 episodes is not enough. Can’t wait for the official announcement. I am all for finding out more about William’s background (Stuart Martin mentioned something about young William spending time in a Victorian workhouse — yikes!). My only disagreement with you is the flashback kiss. Any kissing between Eliza and William better be between the adult actors, not the teenage version of them, or I am going to be really mad — LOL

I also don’t want the flashback kiss, but mainly because it would settle their argument about who did what and who liked what—and I want that to remain unclear 

• Love 2
On 2/22/2021 at 1:40 PM, ComeWhatMay said:

^^^That is why I rarely - if ever - read that crap from showrunners/producers/writers - they try to tease and they just end up making me feel bitter and to NOT want to watch their shows!

Anywho --loved the ep! Those two kids are so damn cute! IMO they (Eliza and William) are at the vert beginning of their flirting. I am not sure if either of them have seriously considered being married? Maybe? William obviously has an idea of how he envisions marriage -- traditional Victorian roles - man/husband works outside of home and is the breadwinner while wife stays home and cooks and cleans and tends to the children. Period. And in that time and place that would be all there is. Once a woman got married any job she had outside the home would be over. She would be expected to quite. Period. There would be no compromise. It would be absolutely expected that the woman would be a wife and mother. 

So it seems Frank was the mastermind behind the whole forgery scheme and he even killed whatshisname (William's boss) and Eliza's father. So he was smarter and more capable that he looked huh?

What happened with Rupert's "fiancé"? That scene just ended abruptly.

On the show it was amusing that William kept locking Eliza up in jail to keep her safe -- but as a woman modern times myself -- that would piss me off! However, I found it kind of a cute little gimmick. What would have been even funnier is if Eliza picked William's pocket or otherwise acquired the key to the jail cell or picked the lock with her handy dandy tools and let herself out. << that would have been funny! And it would have pissed William off which would be even funnier.

All and all I am glad I stumbled across this cute little show. Will there be a season 2? or was the 6 eps all there is?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, nara said:

I also don’t want the flashback kiss, but mainly because it would settle their argument about who did what and who liked what—and I want that to remain unclear 

I don't think their two versions are mutually exclusive.  😄

32 minutes ago, taanja said:

All and all I am glad I stumbled across this cute little show. Will there be a season 2? or was the 6 eps all there is?

Nothing official from the network that bankrolled season 1 so far.  The showrunner and director have spoken positively about the show performing well for Alibi (I think that's it, though never heard of it) in the ratings, though I have no idea how ratings are taken in the UK. Do they use Nielsen too?  The showrunner has said she's written some, if not all scripts for season two, but I don't know if she's just done that on her own so she can hit the ground running the second the renewal decision is made...OR...if the network powers-that-be have told her to proceed because renewal is a done deal but, for whatever reason, they can't announce it yet.  I'm hoping for the latter. 

2 hours ago, Nolefan said:

Any kissing between Eliza and William better be between the adult actors, not the teenage version of them, or I am going to be really mad — LOL

I actually wish that they hadn't kissed way back then.  I'm not always opposed to a previous attraction but sometimes having there be some doubt about it can raise the tension.

I don't think there's doubt with these two.  

2 hours ago, taanja said:

There's a petition to get a second season.  I'd heard that they intended to start filming in September but COVID nixed that.  One of the directors said there's no confirmation of a second season yet.

I will say this, however, I think the UK doesn't always announce renewals in quite the same way the US does.  Sometimes they do but other times, I've noticed that things don't get officially renewed publicly until production has started.  For instance, I watch a show on Acorn called Agatha Raisin.  They finished airing their previous season in the beginning of 2020.  The actors spoke about how they were set to start filming again the spring of 2020.  For obvious reasons, that didn't happen.  They just sent out an official renewal notice a week or so ago--coinciding with the beginning of production.  

And this apparently was a co-production between PBS and Alibi.  They might be waiting to see if PBS is going to stay on board.  If not them, they might need another partner. 

1 hour ago, Door County Cherry said:

I actually wish that they hadn't kissed way back then.  I'm not always opposed to a previous attraction but sometimes having there be some doubt about it can raise the tension.

I don't think there's doubt with these two.  

I bet even Skip, the Jack Russell, who looked kinda like a Poodle, knew. 😉

Edited by Nolefan
  • LOL 4
1 hour ago, Door County Cherry said:

Except Eliza slapped William after the kiss, so maybe it wasn't a mutual attraction back then.

5 hours ago, taanja said:

^^^That is why I rarely - if ever - read that crap from showrunners/producers/writers - they try to tease and they just end up making me feel bitter and to NOT want to watch their shows!

Showrunners/producers/writers need to walk the good promo/jerk line. Too many try to be cute and bite the hands that feed them. I remember the JAG fiasco with Harm and Mac. By the end, it was these two losers deserve each other when Bellisario finally put them together in the very last episode of a very long run. It was ridiculous. And Moonlighting had other issues... The leads detested each other, for one. I digress... 

Are scenes cut here as in other PBS shows? That could be what became of Tilly sees Frank ascend the stairs. 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, pezgirl7 said:

Except Eliza slapped William after the kiss, so maybe it wasn't a mutual attraction back then.

Although she is unconventional in most ways, Eliza is very protective of her reputation as a virtuous woman. I think perhaps because her mother died and she had no female friends of her age and class, her view of what is and isn’t okay from a romantic perspective is very, very conservative. 

The kiss was probably the first time she did anything adult in a romantic sense—intellectually she became an adult quite young. 
She was likely surprised, scared of new feelings, and embarrassed, and I think the slap was her response to those emotions, as well as reflecting her conservative view point of how she should behave to remain virtuous. I doubt she would discuss the kiss so much if it was truly non-consensual.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, nara said:

Although she is unconventional in most ways, Eliza is very protective of her reputation as a virtuous woman. I think perhaps because her mother died and she had no female friends of her age and class, her view of what is and isn’t okay from a romantic perspective is very, very conservative. 

The kiss was probably the first time she did anything adult in a romantic sense—intellectually she became an adult quite young. 
She was likely surprised, scared of new feelings, and embarrassed, and I think the slap was her response to those emotions, as well as reflecting her conservative view point of how she should behave to remain virtuous. I doubt she would discuss the kiss so much if it was truly non-consensual.

And back in those times a woman was either a “lady” or a “tart.” I kinda wonder if maybe Eliza almost had some sort of obligation under the “Lady Code” to slap him after the kiss (even if she enjoyed it), if she did not want to be considered a “tart.”

Edited by Nolefan
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3