Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: The Bloody Doors Off

paulvdb
  • Start Topic

22 hours ago, Racj82 said:

My point was that they, in general, are the biggest stars out there. Not actors. Them playing themselves in movies and what normal movie stars are who jump from project to project are two different things. They get all the attention and accolades that actors usually get in our world. So, they are a great target for a group like this.

That the Seven play a scripted movie as themselves doing what they (supposed to) do daily really confuses me. Who does that? Yes, there is Space Jam, but it is a comedy, not their real life. There are reasons why Tom Hanks played the pilot on Sully, not Sully Sullenberger himself. 

Edited by TV Anonymous
  • Love 2
54 minutes ago, TV Anonymous said:

That the Seven play a scripted movie as themselves doing what they (supposed to) do daily really confuses me. Who does that? Yes, there is Space Jam, but it is a comedy, not their real life. There are reasons why Tom Hanks played the pilot on Sully, not Sully Sullenberger himself. 

Well there was that movie about the guys who foiled a terrorist attack on a train in France that starred the young men who actually foiled the terrorist attack. It’s called The 15:17 to Paris.

Of course the difference is the 7 are playing fictionalized versions of themselves doing things that have never happened, kind of like Seinfeld or Larry David in Curb Your Enthusiasm. Only difference is the movies aren’t comedies.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, TV Anonymous said:

I think it has more to do with how controlling Vought is. If they bring in actors, then the 7 will have to be consultants, and that's another set of people who need to be under NDA and kept from finding out how debauched the supes can be. 

Also, it's probably way cheaper in-universe to film actual Homelander flying than to use special effects to film fake Homelander fake-flying. 

• Love 2
On 9/26/2020 at 3:12 AM, Hootis said:

This episode had a lot of tropes for a show that is anti-trope.

On 9/26/2020 at 3:12 AM, Hootis said:

There's more, but it was all very lazy.

In some ways, the writing for Season Two feels sloppy and rushed. 
Butcher did not go into the facility with the others - for contrived reasons - because the writers wanted Butcher, Hughie and Annie to have a separate 'adventure' and explore the tension between Butcher and Annie. 
They are also being lazy with the fact that The Boys are as famous for being criminals as The Seven are for being heroes. How can any of them go into a hospital  and not be recognized? How can Starlight stay away for so long without raising suspicions? Vought should be trying to locate her tracker - and destroying it should cause issues. 
The writers do not seem to want to deal with the inconvenience of situations they have set up. 

On 9/26/2020 at 11:18 AM, Sakura12 said:

I don't know what they are doing with Mauve this season.

Only a few characters are getting any significant screen time to develop their stories. I don't mind a fast-paced show, but many times I feel as if I'm basically watching a series of highlights - just so that each of the 12+ characters gets a bit of face-time per episode.   
It is also disappointing that The Deep is such a bumbling idiot - with the way he is endangering Mauve, causing the deaths of sea animals and falling for all the notScientology BS. 
Maybe I am remembering it wrong, but in season 1 the characters did not seem so much like caricatures. 

But in terms of outrageous entertainment, this show is doing its job pretty well. 

3 hours ago, TV Anonymous said:

It's not that uncommon for people to play themselves or fictionalized versions of themselves. 

I think Purple Rain was quasi-based on Prince's real story, and Morris Day was playing a fictionalized version of himself. 

There are umpteen shows and movies where celebrities play themselves. Entourage comes to mind.

That was a really good episode, I especially liked getting more backstory for Frenchie and what happened that helped screw up the team from before the series started, and how much that has affected him. I mean, when one of your main tactics if to blackmail super powerful and dangerous people, it seems like its very likely that something will go wrong, even if this is way more wrong than what even they could probably have imagined. 

The movie the Seven are shootings looks awful, but awful in a way that you could see a big blockbuster movie being, not like in a lot of shows that have their Show Within a Show be so over the top awful you end up just being amazed that it even made it to the screen. Its makes it even funnier to me, the parody is much more dead on. 

Starlight killed Randy from Monk! Not cool at all! Interesting that she admitted that killing Randy driver didn't upset her as much as it would have previously, and that she isn't thrilled about that. Her and Butcher had a lot of good back and forth, especially when she called him out on his hatred for all supes, regardless of their actual personality (yeah most of them suck, but he was even willing to write off cute little Ryan as a supe freak) and then when they bonded over Hughie being an adorably well meaning dweeb. 

Kimiko kissing her brass knuckles was great. 

Always happy to see Shawn Ashmore, especially in what is clearly a meta wink to his role in the X-Men movies. They really built Lamplighter up as this horrible monster, even by Seven standards, who gleefully cooks children alive, which seems to be pretty standard for a lot of the Seven, only for it be revealed that he is actually more complex than that. The murder of the children was an accident that he feels terrible remorse for, and is now basically just a miserable broken person who jumps at a chance to be killed by the person he hurt. 

And now one of comic books favorite things...Evil Nazi Mad Science! 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, TV Anonymous said:

Look at it more like the way music groups make movies, often playing somewhat fictionalized versions of themselves.  The Beatles did it, other bands and entertainers. have done it.

ETA: Oops I see someone already mentioned Prince in that regard.  But yeah, there is real world precedent for it.

Edited by tessathereaper
1 hour ago, tessathereaper said:

The Beatles did it, other bands and entertainers. have done it.

Spice Girls!

1 hour ago, Bruinsfan said:

Also, say, Chuck Norris action/adventure movies. I suppose he was (mostly) playing fictional characters rather than himself in those, but does anyone remember even one of their names?

McQuaid and Walker but those were the titles 😄

• Love 2

Thanks to this episode, I am now up to three guesses about how Homelander dies.

Third choice: All the Payday references have been foreshadowing the fact that Homelander's kryptonite is a peanut allergy.

Second choice: Butcher injects his dog with Compound V, points to Homelander, and says "Fuck him to death."

First choice: Sausage Guy recovers from  his ass-kicking and ends up getting recruited by Stormfront. Of course, they end up having sex. Homelander shows up at an inopportune moment. And the insanity of what he is looking at makes his head explode.

Just now, CletusMusashi said:

That's what I get for always watching late at night. Oh well, two valid possibilities left.

It is still my favorite theory, Homelander tries to rape a woman who has just eaten an Almond Joy. Homelander has a nut allergy and dies on the spot with his tights around his ankles. A policeman who is at the scene says "This is the second dead Homelander we picked up this week, the first one was in a black negligee".

• LOL 3
On 9/24/2020 at 10:24 PM, AnimeMania said:

I wonder if Lamplighter's costume was inspired by Watchmen?

Starlight straight up murdered that dude.

And then blamed him for pulling a gun in self-defense.

On 9/25/2020 at 7:07 PM, mac123x said:

It's interesting to show one of the Supes with a conscience. 

I feel compelled to point out that Lamplighter torched a kid five minutes earlier merely for wanting to call his sister.

On 9/29/2020 at 5:25 AM, TV Anonymous said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Greatest_(1977_film)

It kind of bugs me that Stormfront is portrayed as very Gen Z with social media savvy yet she was born 100 years ago. It’s a major disconnect for me. Someone her real age would have zero interest in creating memes and using social media in the way she has. 

45 minutes ago, SoWindsor said:

It kind of bugs me that Stormfront is portrayed as very Gen Z with social media savvy yet she was born 100 years ago. It’s a major disconnect for me. Someone her real age would have zero interest in creating memes and using social media in the way she has. 

Social Media is just another word for Propaganda and countries and societies that use this on a regular basis are coming into their own against countries who's citizens have been largely free from it's influence. It is becoming harder to find reliable sources of information. Stormfront grew up watching how a strong, charismatic leader can influence an entire nation.

• Love 2

I did love this episode but the Hughie adoration is getting over the top for me. I know he is supposed to be the "normal" guy but this puppy-schtick is really getting on my nerves. I could not stop my eyes from rolling when Butcher and Annie were standing at his hospital bed and saying what a fucking saint he is. This show manages to layer the main characters well enough but somehow it falls flat for me with Hughie. This "no one can resist him" is a little too Mary Sue to me.

Annie is simiarily problematic to me. At the beginning she tried to make peace with Butcher but two seconds later she could not stop telling him how little she thought of him. At best they tried to show her being torn between wanting to be the good girl and not wanting to be like Butcher so I am willing to give her some credit. In combination with Hughie she is insufferable though. They totally lost me when they were freaking out on that road trip with MM.

• Love 2
On 9/28/2020 at 9:46 AM, iMonrey said:

I can't imagine in what universe having a retractable tentacle as a penis would be a useful superpower. I realize it was nothing more than a visual gag, but I wouldn't expect this particular show to do silly just for the sake of silly.

One of the X-Men movies had the Morlock character, Toad,  who did the same thing with his tongue. With no PG-13 goal or the Comic code of course they would use the penis.

On 11/2/2020 at 1:08 PM, Ely said:

I did love this episode but the Hughie adoration is getting over the top for me. I know he is supposed to be the "normal" guy but this puppy-schtick is really getting on my nerves. I could not stop my eyes from rolling when Butcher and Annie were standing at his hospital bed and saying what a fucking saint he is. This show manages to layer the main characters well enough but somehow it falls flat for me with Hughie. This "no one can resist him" is a little too Mary Sue to me.

Annie is simiarily problematic to me. At the beginning she tried to make peace with Butcher but two seconds later she could not stop telling him how little she thought of him. At best they tried to show her being torn between wanting to be the good girl and not wanting to be like Butcher so I am willing to give her some credit. In combination with Hughie she is insufferable though. They totally lost me when they were freaking out on that road trip with MM.

I completely agree with you. The hospital gushing was borderline cringe and Annie's ranting at Butcher was annoying. The boys know why Butcher is the way he is when it comes to supes and if one of them went off on him it would be a different story since they actually know him. If she had been angry because of the shotgun blast to the chest it would have been more understandable but it seemed that Annie's gripe was based on the fact that she's pissed that Butcher hates her because she's a supe even though he has good reason because they're all awful.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 9/29/2020 at 8:25 AM, TV Anonymous said:

It is marketing. They don’t do a lot of heroing and as we see aren’t good at it. This helps with the brand and it feels real because it is really them. 

also huge source of income. Disney would do it if the characters were real supes. 

Edited by Affogato
  • Love 1

This episode was hugely disappointing, unless Liberty was lying. All of this, the the superheroes, the company, the experiments... was to keep minorities down? Like some sort of Limbaugh world?

How mundane. 

2 hours ago, Ottis said:

This episode was hugely disappointing, unless Liberty was lying. All of this, the the superheroes, the company, the experiments... was to keep minorities down? Like some sort of Limbaugh world?

How mundane. 

And make money!

(edited)
On 9/29/2020 at 4:58 PM, Bruinsfan said:

Also, say, Chuck Norris action/adventure movies. I suppose he was (mostly) playing fictional characters rather than himself in those, but does anyone remember even one of their names?

Sean Kane, from An Eye For An Eye.  (I use it in another forum 😆)

Edited by Tachi Rocinante
On 9/25/2020 at 1:24 AM, AnimeMania said:

Starlight straight up murdered that dude.

Killed, yes.  Murdered seems a bit harsh, if you view it as a legal term.  She was arguably acting in self defense (or defense of her friends), since he did pull a gun on them.  Understandable in his situation, but from her point of view lethal force was justified (IMO).  Also, I don't think she meant to kill him, he just bashed his head on the ground when she blasted him.